Things Not to Say When You're on a Dating Site

Options

Replies

• JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Then I look at who they are willing to date and they have everything checked except for 'black/african-american'. Even 'other'.

Hey, you're not alone in this... I helped my friend create an eHarmony account last night, and just for grins created one myself. We're very similar, and our answers to their questionairre were almost identical. The only difference is that she's white and I'm mixed. Even though I was more relaxed about my partner's qualities (for example, I was more open to people of other backgrounds), she got a ton more matches upfront. I'm used to it (always get the "Oh, I thought you were Puerto Rican... goodbye"), but it's still annoying. If I were dead set on getting married soon, I'd be really discouraged.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I have seriously been considering doing the online dating thing but you guys are starting to scare me with your experiences!

Don't be scared. .. . just be aware and don't let anyone out there hurt your feelings. There are good people out there. I had some fun dates. The reason I quit is b/c I realized I don't have a lot of time right now (work, kid, etc) and never REALLY completely clicked with anyone. But, I'll probably do it again (if I can't connect with "church-girl"). . I'm just waiting to get settled.
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    One guy who messaged me really sweet and when I went to his profile it was like all these hateful messages about how he hates women who are overly jealous ^%^&^$#%@$#$#%^ with all these symbols and that they are *****es...

I was like ok..... haha Angry much?
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Also why do guys always put 'I hate being serious' Really? Everything in life is fun and clowns that it is always a laugh a minute?

UGH haha....that goes hand in hand with "I have a goofy, sarcastic sense of humor." Honestly...maybe there are some women who like that...but I don't want a 35yr old who considers himself a "goof." I am all for humor, but I prefer wit, and think it is much more attractive.

I was texting back and forth with a 35yr old recently, and when I mentioned wanting a Lexus in a "pearly white" color, he had to make a perverted reference to "pearl necklaces." Seriously?!?! Not how I envision the man of my dreams, lol.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Also why do guys always put 'I hate being serious' Really? Everything in life is fun and clowns that it is always a laugh a minute?
    I was texting back and forth with a 35yr old recently, and when I mentioned wanting a Lexus in a "pearly white" color, he had to make a perverted reference to "pearl necklaces." Seriously?!?! Not how I envision the man of my dreams, lol.

I am guessing you didn't have much history with this person. It's hard to get away with that joke with very little history between 2 people.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    All of this information makes me very excited to join an online dating website. I think I'll go with POF cause it's free. I'm thinking of only adding pictures of me doing ridiculous things and specifically Ke$ha lyrics to see what comes in my inbox. :tongue:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Match . .dot. . com. . . VERY interesting 6 months! (got the guarantee btw. .but shut down my profile . . at least for now. )

Girls. . if you can help it, resist the Pavlovian need to put the words: "Live life to the fullest" anywhere in your profile. .. . *puke*..

That's how I feel about the words "laid back", EVERY GUY'S PROFILE SAYS THAT!
    Easily 50% of girls have "Quiet night on the couch with a glass of wine and a movie". . so, yeah, the guys are probably saying this because they think that's what you want to hear!

Mine doesn't! Yay, I'm not the norm!
    Body shots. . You have to have at least one honest body shot on your profile. . If you get a date and you show up and you weren't honest about your body. . . well. .it's just awkward and frustrating for everybody. . . I stopped contacting girls who didn't have a body shot. . I know a lot of you are going to attack me for being shallow etc. . but I like what I like. It's not my fault! :)

Agree 100%!
    I don't know if my experience is average or what.. but keep in mind that you girls get orders of magnitude more messages than we do. . The entire time I was on I probably got 20 unsolicited emails. . I went on a date with one girl who got 100+ every DAY! I'm pretty sure there are more guys than girls on match.

I don't know why guys think that...I might get a few emails a week, and I email lots of guys and initiate contact...
  • toots99
    Options
    oh you know what I really hate. Music snobs.
    Everyone has their own taste. Mine is all over the place. But I saw a guy who I thought was really interesting but he added 'don't bother contacting me if you like Kesha'. Like he has personal beef with Kesha.

I actually did write to him but all I said was..'This place about to blow..oh oh oh oh oh oh oh'

You're my idol.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    I don't know if my experience is average or what.. but keep in mind that you girls get orders of magnitude more messages than we do. . The entire time I was on I probably got 20 unsolicited emails. . I went on a date with one girl who got 100+ every DAY! I'm pretty sure there are more guys than girls on match.

I don't know why guys think that...I might get a few emails a week, and I email lots of guys and initiate contact...

Guys think that because it is usually true. Women who are average looking or better usually get bombarded with messages, particularly those under 30. The younger, the greater the competition. And there are plenty of 40 year old women getting a lot of messages. I see no reason why you (toots99) should not be getting more messages. Perhaps something in the profile is not the way it should be to get a lot of messages.
  • toots99
    Options
    A question for the guys. Why do so many men on dating sites check "undecided" where it asks if you want kids in the future? Personally I'm interacting with people 30+ usually. Is this really something you don't have a yes or no answer for by this point? Feels like a waste of time not to be up front about that.

I'm unsure if I want to have kids. I'm not dying to, but I'm also not against it. If I meet the right person and it feels like the right and desired thing to do, then I'm in.
  • kkjay
    kkjay Posts: 62
    Options

Guys think that because it is usually true. Women who are average looking or better usually get bombarded with messages, particularly those under 30. The younger, the greater the competition. And there are plenty of 40 year old women getting a lot of messages. I see no reason why you (toots99) should not be getting more messages. Perhaps something in the profile is not the way it should be to get a lot of messages.

It is true. When I was on a site last year I would get a few a week. And looking back at my pictures then I can see why. :laugh: On the other hand my best friend who is really thin would get TONS of messages. So average/ better looking woman definitely get more messages than they know what to do with. But I agree, I don't see why you toots99 wouldn't be getting more messages.
  • krissypea79
    Options
    These are the types of people that match.com think I am compatible with - my daily match (exerpt from his profile):

"I grew up a little rough and made some bad choices. I had a full scholarship to play basketball out of high school and did not take advantage of it. But growing up the way i did and making the choices I have has made me tough, open minded, and kinda stubborn haha."

Grrrrr lol :grumble:
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    These are the types of people that match.com think I am compatible with - my daily match (exerpt from his profile):

"I grew up a little rough and made some bad choices. I had a full scholarship to play basketball out of high school and did not take advantage of it. But growing up the way i did and making the choices I have has made me tough, open minded, and kinda stubborn haha."

Grrrrr lol :grumble:

That is kind of awesome in a very very sad way.
  • krissypea79
    Options
    Just got an email from a guy...go to his profile...he has 2 photos. One where he is making a goofy smile and cuddling a bunny rabbit, and the other is of 2 rabbits in a cage, with the caption "SugarMuffin & Patches!!"

:sad: :huh:
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    Just got an email from a guy...go to his profile...he has 2 photos. One where he is making a goofy smile and cuddling a bunny rabbit, and the other is of 2 rabbits in a cage, with the caption "SugarMuffin & Patches!!"

That's unusual. Maybe he's a sensitive guy. A sensitive guy would name rabbits "SugarMuffin & Patches".

Probably not the strongest approach for attracting the pretty ladies like KrissyPea :wink:
  • krissypea79
    Options

That's unusual. Maybe he's a sensitive guy. A sensitive guy would name rabbits "SugarMuffin & Patches".

Probably not the strongest approach for attracting the pretty ladies like KrissyPea :wink:

Aww hehe. Do I sense a facetious tone there? :tongue: I am really not trying to sound THAT picky....I do of course want a guy who is capable of sensitivity...but at the same time I want a MAN. He can like rabbits...but this guy likes them enough to showcase them in 1 of his only 2 photos to represent who he is to the world. hehehe. Just silly, that's all! :laugh:
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options

Aww hehe. Do I sense a facetious tone there? :tongue: I am really not trying to sound THAT picky....I do of course want a guy who is capable of sensitivity...but at the same time I want a MAN. He can like rabbits...but this guy likes them enough to showcase them in 1 of his only 2 photos to represent who he is to the world. hehehe. Just silly, that's all! :laugh:

Hell yeah that's silly! Complete turn-off! You should upload a picture of you in a rabbit fur coat. :tongue:
  • Cameron_1969
    Options

Holy crap! Oh man. . I just about ruined my keyboard. .
  • Cameron_1969
    Options
    I've been tempted to do a search for guys in my age group and check out their profiles. . just to see what kind of pics they post and what kind of stuff they say. . You know. . check out the competition. . But f*ing match does that 'who viewed me' thing and I just couldn't do it!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Haha I think I looked at women's profiles in my area once on POF to see the competition and I was really surprised at what I found. I'm just saying..