• sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Awww! You guys are bursting my fantasy bubble! LOL

I DO really like the camaraderie I've found on here though. :flowerforyou:
  • oceanity
    oceanity Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be such a lurker....finally kicking my headache today! And mostly through stage 1 again...it is amazing the differnce a few months and Stages 1-3 did for me, even if I was struggling with the food side of it.

Glad to see so many girls into NROLFW!! You all rock!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,958 Member
    Options
    I really liked the CrossFit stuff I watched on youtube (thanks, birdy!) - but it kind of begs the question....how GREAT does your shape have to be before you attempt this stuff?? (Because, I think I'm in good shape....but ALL the chicks in that youtube video were SERIOUSLY buff - and I am NOT that!)

I miss the camraderie of group classes - for sure. But, for example, how do you "learn" how to do the Olympic style lifts (way deep, then up, then UP and then BAM you drop the barbell...) if you are just whizzing along doing ****. How do you "learn" how to do even ONE of the chin-ups they were showing??

That's why I'm in NROL4W...I'm just not buff enough (yet) to attempt all these fantasy moves.

(However, if CrossFit showed up in my town, heck ya I'd be going in to see what it's all about....and, as each day goes by I AM getting a better body that MAYBE I'll be ready for CrossFit when they DO show up here!)
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    My husband had gastric bypass surgery 2 years ago. He was told the body can only absorb 20 grams of protein at one time.

My question is, how long must you wait between "servings" to ensure proper absorption?
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bwahahah i saw the one *kitten* dude in the gym today (one of the 2 guys who have ever given me grief in the weightroom and attempted a confrontation). he was also doing deadlifts and making all kind of crazy"this is sparta"noises.

guess who was deadlifting more than him?? YUP, you guessed it, THIS girl. also ran into him at the lat pull down stations. I was lifting (well pulling) the same amount he was... bwahahahaha. i saw him looking over at it too.

I saw your post on how much weight you are lifting in the stage 1 board and was seriously impressed. Now, you are amazing in my book. That is great! So hilarious ;)
  • Ninikins2
    Ninikins2 Posts: 73
    Options
    I deadlifted 85 lbs today! It was the highest so far I'd worked up to. I did have a guy comment in my form he said my knees turned in a little. Do you guys check yourselves out in the mirror? The book talks some about form but not so I exactly know. I had to take a pic of my new muscles in my arm! I love this book and program so much, I can definitely tell its working! And this is just stage 1!!! It kicks my butt and I can't wait for more! Please feel free to add me, I'm more supportive on my iPhone app, it doesn't do groups on there :) thanks for letting me share! No other girls I know lift, or actually any of my friends. They are all into cardio and light weights.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Awww! You guys are bursting my fantasy bubble! LOL

I DO really like the camaraderie I've found on here though. :flowerforyou:

Very much this! I am so grateful for the support on MFP.
  • jamk1446
    Options
    My husband had gastric bypass surgery 2 years ago. He was told the body can only absorb 20 grams of protein at one time.

My question is, how long must you wait between "servings" to ensure proper absorption?

This is a myth, the body can absorb more than that at a time. I couldn't find a link to post but I googled "30 grams of protein per meal myth" and found several hits, some of them had links to studies to back it up. You might even do a search of the general forums here to see if this has been discussed. Basically, get your protein in however you want. If it works for you to eat several small meals, great. But if 3 "squares" a day works better for you, this is absolutely fine as well.
  • jamk1446
    Options
    I deadlifted 85 lbs today! It was the highest so far I'd worked up to. I did have a guy comment in my form he said my knees turned in a little. Do you guys check yourselves out in the mirror? The book talks some about form but not so I exactly know. I had to take a pic of my new muscles in my arm! I love this book and program so much, I can definitely tell its working! And this is just stage 1!!! It kicks my butt and I can't wait for more! Please feel free to add me, I'm more supportive on my iPhone app, it doesn't do groups on there :) thanks for letting me share! No other girls I know lift, or actually any of my friends. They are all into cardio and light weights.

Congrats on your deadlift! I don't have a mirror in my garage, sometimes I wish I did. I try to practice my form with no weight or very light weights first so I can look at what I'm doing without hurting myself. Checking my squat form holding close to my body weight is a bad idea! At that point I ask my husband to come watch me if I'm unsure. After a while, I think you get a feel if your form is off. That's when I know to back off the weight a bit/ do fewer reps, whatever to avoid injury.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies! It's great to see new faces.

oceanity - glad you are feeling better!

ninik - WTG on the deadlift! I use the iPhone app, too. Sending you a friend request...

Regarding form - Jamk is right, it's something that you'll get to where you can feel. But when you start out, definitely watch a mirror or have someone watch you if at all possible. Watch YouTube videos. One site that is geared towards women and lifting that has a great breakdown of moves is http://www.stumptuous.com/. I didn't see anything specific to the deadlift, but she does a great job breaking down the squat.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    But, for example, how do you "learn" how to do the Olympic style lifts (way deep, then up, then UP and then BAM you drop the barbell...) if you are just whizzing along doing ****. How do you "learn" how to do even ONE of the chin-ups they were showing??

Everything I've heard about it says the coaches and trainers really help you learn the moves and adjust the weights to your own abilities. Like with the chin-ups - they start you using resistance bands to help assist the chin-up and as you get stronger you use lighter resistance bands until you can do one on your own! This is one area I'm psyched to improve in because it has been a goal of mine for YEARS to do an unassisted pull-up/chin-up... 2012 is MY year!!! hahaha

ninik - thats AWESOME on the deadlift!! I typically do try to keep tabs on my form by doing these moves in front of a mirror (when there's space!) but I have come to find that I can actually feel when my form is off now...

I'm finally going to finish Stage 3 tonight! I was supposed to do my last workout yesterday, but work got in the way and I couldnt make it to the gym.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    My husband met with Allen Lim, the sports nutritionist who wrote the feed zone, and it's a calorie threshold NOT a protein threshold but that is in the context of endurance athletes who have to eat as they go. I was trying to look it up, but if I remember correctly is was 400 cals an hour. My husband seriously cannot eat enough in a day to fuel his body. On high days he needs close to 8000 cals.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    great now I'm reading the dang book. Won't my husband be happy, sigh. He's been pestering me for weeks to get a rice cooker.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hope it's OK to join in here :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for avoiding callouses? My hands are getting gross and bumpy. On the JP Fitness forum someone said don't use lifting gloves but my grip is struggling at times and my hands are getting worse. I've dug out an old hand cream and hope that will help, but any advice? Thanks!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Im curious why they advised NOT to use lifting gloves??

I made it halfway through Stage 1 before I bought my gloves (about $20 or so from amazon) and it was the best thing I could have done for my hands! my callouses went away in a week or so.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I use gloves.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    My husband met with Allen Lim, the sports nutritionist who wrote the feed zone, and it's a calorie threshold NOT a protein threshold but that is in the context of endurance athletes who have to eat as they go. I was trying to look it up, but if I remember correctly is was 400 cals an hour. My husband seriously cannot eat enough in a day to fuel his body. On high days he needs close to 8000 cals.

8000 calories???!!! Is he a professional athlete? Forgive me if you've already talked about this.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    P.S. I use gloves too - couldn't manage without them.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    And, I ask staff personnel at my gym to watch my form, when I'm worried.

PS - my knees bowed out when I began squatting, too. To me, that was a sign to go LIGHTER on the weights until I had the proper form. The saying is: "You can mess with the gods, but don't mess with your knees."

My squat form is much better, now, and I am slowly upping my weights - nothing to brag about, mind you, but, I'm okay with that since I know my form is GREAT!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I had my knee twinge when doing my deadlift on workout 7. Looked down and my knee was all wacky.