TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think the penny has dropped.

On non workout days I eat 1700.

On workout days, say I work off 500 cals, this gives me a net of 1200. So I eat 200 odd more to take me to my BMR.

correct?
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I think the penny has dropped.

On non workout days I eat 1700.

On workout days, say I work off 500 cals, this gives me a net of 1200. So I eat 200 odd more to take me to my BMR.

correct?

That's how I understand it paxier - 1700 each and every day and only have the extra if your to bring your net up on workout days - exactly as you've said :)

I have set my MFP goals myself so my goal for food is 1800 each day. I'm liking this new way of eating a consistent amount each day rather than high/low depending on how many calories I burn off.
  • sugarsquare
    sugarsquare Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am confuesed about TDEE I calculated it on Fat2Fit's website and got 2224 as moderately active (this is a 20% cut built in). I did the fitness frog calculator and got 2288 as TDEE and subtracting 15% from that is 1945. There is a big difference 299 calories! I have been eating 2100 based on advice from another post about reving my metabolism since I had been eating 1200-1400 since Jan. 1 and starving! Any advice?
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This really helps.

Now I need to find more healthy options of food to eat and not turn to unhealthy options trying to meet my calorie goal each day.

Thanks again.
  • jennlowe66
    Options
    Okay, correct me if I have this wrong (which is completely within the realm of possibility!) :)

Heres what I came up:

TDEE 2702
    BMR 1566
    I subtracted 15% from my TDEE and got 2299
    So.....I should be eating 2299 calories a day? That sounds so high since I have had a calorie allowance of 1200 and with my calorie burn, I've been eating anywhere from 900 to 1100 calories a day.
    Do I have this figured correctly?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Okay, correct me if I have this wrong (which is completely within the realm of possibility!) :)

Heres what I came up:

TDEE 2702
    BMR 1566
    I subtracted 15% from my TDEE and got 2299
    So.....I should be eating 2299 calories a day? That sounds so high since I have had a calorie allowance of 1200 and with my calorie burn, I've been eating anywhere from 900 to 1100 calories a day.
    Do I have this figured correctly?

Which activity level did you choose? Most fit in the moderate activity level? If you workout 3-5 times a week, that is usually mod. If on feet all day long and tend to have hard workouts as well most days per week then you go with a higher activity level.

So if you are moderate your TDEE is 2427 so your cut is 2063. You would eat that everyday and then only eat more IF you burn over approx 500 cals during your workout. You would only need to eat the amount over 500 to bring you to a NET of BMR.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I am confuesed about TDEE I calculated it on Fat2Fit's website and got 2224 as moderately active (this is a 20% cut built in). I did the fitness frog calculator and got 2288 as TDEE and subtracting 15% from that is 1945. There is a big difference 299 calories! I have been eating 2100 based on advice from another post about reving my metabolism since I had been eating 1200-1400 since Jan. 1 and starving! Any advice?

Hmmm, did you choose the correct activity level is a question. Sometimes people erroneously go with light activity when they workout 3-5 times a week, but aren't too active the rest of time. That is moderate. I workout 3 days a week, where i lift on all those days and one of the days I do my zumba as well and not really active otherwise since I have a desk job and I am moderate.

Also, are you eating enough protein? If you are strength training a good rule of thumb is 1gr per lb of bodyweight.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi, could someone please check my workings out for me (thank you so much). Still trying to get my head around eating more.....

I'm 37years (female)

height 5 '2
    weight 160 pounds/72kg

I worked out:

BMR 1456
    TDEE 2002
    TDEE - 15% = 1700

Soooooooo I eat 1700 on non workout days, and on workout days around my BMR. Sorry I have read so many posts on this thread I've got myself confused.

Thank you so much for your help.

Yes eat 1700 everyday and on workout days if you burn more than 250 cals you need eat the excess over the 250 cals. Seems like you chose light activity. If after 6wks you are bouncing the same couple pounds, then you need to go up in calories. Many people want to pick light or sedentary when they really are moderate. So you can try it out at this level and again if you are not moving either direction then you need to bump your cals at least 100 and hold there for 4wks to see how you trend.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Mornin' All,
    4wks ago I upped my calories and saw a 7lb increase over those weeks. Saturday I weighed in and the scale dropped almost 3lbs. I am hoping this is the beginning of me stabilizing and then I can shed the last couple of pounds that I'd like to...all while eating a ton :)
    I am very hopefully about this process.
    This group is great and the all the information is wonderful!!!
    THANKS!!!
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Mornin' All,
    4wks ago I upped my calories and saw a 7lb increase over those weeks. Saturday I weighed in and the scale dropped almost 3lbs. I am hoping this is the beginning of me stabilizing and then I can shed the last couple of pounds that I'd like to...all while eating a ton :)
    THANKS!!!

Wow that's brilliant :) and well done for sticking it out when you saw the number on the scale increase! What did you increase your calories from?
  • jennlowe66
    Options
    I work out six days a week so I chose heavy exercise. Should I go down to moderate?
  • kblue2007
    Options
    Mornin' All,
    THANKS!!!

Wow that's brilliant :) and well done for sticking it out when you saw the number on the scale increase! What did you increase your calories from?

It was very difficult to watch it go up 1-2lbs every week and trust me it was hard not to panic and drop the calories but Lucia helped me and told me to stick it out!!!
    I went from 1340-1400 to 1800 even on my rest days....felt guilty about it at first but that's part of the plan :)
  • NWdreaming
    NWdreaming Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to the group and I know some of these calculations are based on body fat % and current weight....how often do you suggest re-evaluating these totals? I have a lot to lose and was just curious!

Sorry if this has been addressed before. :blushing:

11490831.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • kalyy
    kalyy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I started following this guidelines today but I just realized that the bmr calculator I used gave me a different number that the one posted here :S
    According fat2fitradio my bmr is 1273 calories but bmrcalculator.net says it's 1552 calories
    My tdee is 2127
    I subtracted 500 calories from my tdee and I set my calories goal to 1627, I burn only 200 calories from exercise 5 times a week, so net calories is 1430, should I bump my calorie intake to 1800 or eat my exercise calories back?

Also I was using livestrong.com food diary and when I changed my weight loss goal to 1 pound per week it suggested exactly 1630, mfp suggested a much lower calorie goal.
  • paxier
    Options
    Hi, could someone please check my workings out for me (thank you so much). Still trying to get my head around eating more.....

I'm 37years (female)

height 5 '2
    weight 160 pounds/72kg

I worked out:

BMR 1456
    TDEE 2002
    TDEE - 15% = 1700

Soooooooo I eat 1700 on non workout days, and on workout days around my BMR. Sorry I have read so many posts on this thread I've got myself confused.

Thank you so much for your help.

Yes eat 1700 everyday and on workout days if you burn more than 250 cals you need eat the excess over the 250 cals. Seems like you chose light activity. If after 6wks you are bouncing the same couple pounds, then you need to go up in calories. Many people want to pick light or sedentary when they really are moderate. So you can try it out at this level and again if you are not moving either direction then you need to bump your cals at least 100 and hold there for 4wks to see how you trend.

thank you for your help! (you are so patient). Wow and you have amazing muscles!!!
  • paxier
    Options
    Hi

I have been re-reading your very first post with the equations (RMR and BMR). I think my workings out were wrong.

I have now calculated my RMR to be 1446 (not my BMR).. activitly level I selected x 1.375 which gives me a BMR of 1988.

this would make my TDEE 1988 + 198(? 10%?) at 2186.

less 15% = 1859
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I work out six days a week so I chose heavy exercise. Should I go down to moderate?

Not necessarily. How long are you working out on those days?

Hello! I'm new to the group and I know some of these calculations are based on body fat % and current weight....how often do you suggest re-evaluating these totals? I have a lot to lose and was just curious!

Sorry if this has been addressed before. :blushing:

Most people calculate using just their current weight, since not everyone knows their bodyfat%. Try using this calculator to help you: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I started following this guidelines today but I just realized that the bmr calculator I used gave me a different number that the one posted here :S
    According fat2fitradio my bmr is 1273 calories but bmrcalculator.net says it's 1552 calories
    My tdee is 2127
    I subtracted 500 calories from my tdee and I set my calories goal to 1627, I burn only 200 calories from exercise 5 times a week, so net calories is 1430, should I bump my calorie intake to 1800 or eat my exercise calories back?

Also I was using livestrong.com food diary and when I changed my weight loss goal to 1 pound per week it suggested exactly 1630, mfp suggested a much lower calorie goal.

Just eat 1800 each day, no need to eat back exercise cals, as they are already figured into that number :wink:

~Kiki
  • sugarsquare
    sugarsquare Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Hmmm, did you choose the correct activity level is a question. Sometimes people erroneously go with light activity when they workout 3-5 times a week, but aren't too active the rest of time. That is moderate. I workout 3 days a week, where i lift on all those days and one of the days I do my zumba as well and not really active otherwise since I have a desk job and I am moderate.

Also, are you eating enough protein? If you are strength training a good rule of thumb is 1gr per lb of bodyweight.

I chose moderate on both sites, and I attempt to eat that much protein per day but usually only end up with 115-125 on most days. I am just going to go with 1950 for now I think and just make sure to eat 200 more than my BMR on heavy cardio days...
  • jennlowe66
    jennlowe66 Posts: 30
    Options
    @31prvbs

I typically work out six days a week for at least 50 minutes and sometimes going a little over an hour. I am currently doing Chalean Extreme and TurboFire along with her abs and stretch workouts.
  • kblue2007
    Options
    So did a sneak peek weigh in this morning and it appears that my body hasn't quite stabilized yet...real weigh in will be satuday. I do feel pretty good though...FAIRLY slender and not as bloated. Let you know what the scales says after the weekend.
    Thanks!!!