Stage 3

Options

Replies

• worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Did 2B today and it was pretty good.
    The prone cobras used to be so hard for me and now I had no problem with 3 sets of 90 seconds... amazing what happens with a little persistence :laugh: Have to remember that with the next BWM :wink:

So I'm going away on a holiday for a few weeks but I think I can finish this stage IF I can manage to go to the gym M,W,F, plus Sunday next week. Might be asking for trouble? I'll see how it goes. I did feel some strain in my left elbow doing the deadlift plus row this morning and I'll have to be careful.
  • annamerrick
    annamerrick Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    So, I had no idea how to get past the 25 lb. DBs for the incline press so I was doing 10 reps. Today, I made the leap to 30 lb. DBs and did it! I was so excited! Then I hopped off the bench, swung my leg around it and smacked my shin. Ouch! Limped my DBs back to the shelf and now have a lame bruise.

sounds like something I would do....hope your bruise is healing quickly! I tried 35 lbs on my last set of presses today.......it didn't work. :) I got the weight up to my chest and then tried to push them up, and they went NOWHERE. Guess I'll be on 30lbs a little longer......I really wish we had something in between!!!
  • annamerrick
    Options
    So earlier this week, My fiance joined me doing the last BWM...and he was DEAD TIRED. My super-fit boxing phenom of a fiance was SUCKING WIND, ladies. Alas, we do not exaggerate our torture! :drinker:

Love this! Makes me feel so much better...! :)
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    So earlier this week, My fiance joined me doing the last BWM...and he was DEAD TIRED. My super-fit boxing phenom of a fiance was SUCKING WIND, ladies. Alas, we do not exaggerate our torture! :drinker:

^^ This is funny! But scary as I will be starting stage 3 next week. This stage looks challenging. I'm looking forward to it.
  • autumn_mix
    autumn_mix Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    forlife12, If I followed your schedule for the coming week I would finish up this stage at the same time you do. I'm in if you're in!
  • worthyofchange
    Options
    forlife12, If I followed your schedule for the coming week I would finish up this stage at the same time you do. I'm in if you're in!

Okay! I'll do my best!
  • loricolwill
    Options
    Si it doesn't look like I'll get to the gym to figure out weights before doing the workout for real. Any tips on where to star based on previous lifts? For example, dumbells snatch half of the push press?
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Si it doesn't look like I'll get to the gym to figure out weights before doing the workout for real. Any tips on where to star based on previous lifts? For example, dumbells snatch half of the push press?
    Your stage 2 weights were very similar to mine. I used 20 plds on the dumbbell snatch. ( yep. Half of the weight I was doing on push press). The single arm overhead squat was AWKWARD! I used 8/25. Maybe the 25 lb was too heavy? A lot of arms in this workout! BWM... Oh my! Thighs were burning...... I would not plan on doing HIIT after this A workout. Let us know how it goes :)
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Well, starting stage 3 on Wednesday... Any hints or tips or anything else I should know?
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I need advice. I started NR on 4/30. I am 46, 5'3, starting weight 135. Currently on 2nd week of Stage 3. I have lost 4.5 inches overall but not a single pound! I weighed on 06/09 135.1. Weighed again today. Exactly the same 135.1. I thought something was wrong with my scale. Moved it to a different spot. Same!! I feel stronger, visually seeing more muscle, clothes fitting fine. What is up with the lack of weight loss? The book has me at maintenance 1972/1726 for calories. When I started I was at 1500/1700. 2 weeks ago increased to 1600/1800. macros are at 40/30/30. Should I be eating closer to what the book recommends, or eat less? Or.... Should I not worry about the weight loss since I am not gaining? Are others working this program seeing weight loss? I usually do HIIT 2x week and then maybe moderate cardio 2x/week ie. walking, bike riding. Any advise or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  • avalynsmom
    avalynsmom Posts: 78
    Options
    I need advice. I started NR on 4/30. I am 46, 5'3, starting weight 135. Currently on 2nd week of Stage 3. I have lost 4.5 inches overall but not a single pound! I weighed on 06/09 135.1. Weighed again today. Exactly the same 135.1. I thought something was wrong with my scale. Moved it to a different spot. Same!! I feel stronger, visually seeing more muscle, clothes fitting fine. What is up with the lack of weight loss? The book has me at maintenance 1972/1726 for calories. When I started I was at 1500/1700. 2 weeks ago increased to 1600/1800. macros are at 40/30/30. Should I be eating closer to what the book recommends, or eat less? Or.... Should I not worry about the weight loss since I am not gaining? Are others working this program seeing weight loss? I usually do HIIT 2x week and then maybe moderate cardio 2x/week ie. walking, bike riding. Any advise or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

There's a good possibility your weight is just where it should be! Also, if your inches are going down, but you're not losing, then you're just a more muscular person at the same weight! He gave an example of that exact same thing in the book. Imo, your weight is less important than your body fat %, which had to have gone down with those lost inches!

Also, don't be afraid to try eating more! I'm actually eating at over maintenance according to NR, but I go by the calculations I got from Fat2Fit, because it works for me. What they have is what they call maintenance for my goal weight, which is 145 at 5'5", and I eat 2300 every day. And I don't workout as much as you.

And I'll be honest, my scale was STUCK until I dropped all extra cardio from my routine! Sounds crazy, but when I was trying to do Couch25K or even HIIT on my days off, the scale would not budge. When I stopped it entirely, I lost. My week break between stage 1 and 2, I lost 3lbs, most loss since I started NR. Now, I only take my dogs on a moderate walk on the days between NR, unless I don't feel like it, then I don't. Ever since I switched to that, I lose 1-2lbs/wk. I do have a significant amount of weight still to lose, my point is just that maybe you need to dial down the cardio a bit? Or up your cals. If I was in your shoes, I would do one of those two things:)
  • loricolwill
    Options

I'm 42, 143 lbs and 5'4. I'm just about to start stage 3 and also do cardio 2-3x a week. Since I started, I've lost 2 pounds, but several inches. I currently eat anywhere from 1500-1900 calories. I was trying to increase it to what the book recommended and it was stressing me out, so I stopped. At this point in my journey, maintaining my weight (after losing 125 lbs) and losing body fat/gaining muscle are really my goals. If the # on the scale drops a few pounds during the process, then that's a plus.

At 135, I wouldn't think that you would want to lose much weight as you are in the middle of your healthy weight range where you are. If you are happy with what you are eating, gaining muscle and losing inches, then I wouldn't sweat it. The number on the scale is just that...a number. That's my two cents. :wink:
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

I've been on vacation for the last 2 weeks. The first week coincided with my scheduled "rest week" after completing stage 2, and the 2nd week was just gravy. In theory, I should have started Stage 3 this morning, but I used tiredness as an excuse to stay away. I lost 1.5 lb. during my 2-week rest though, which I'm thrilled with, esp. that I was in Europe eating lots of carbs (pasta, risotto, gelato, croissants, pastry, etc.), and no gym access. We did a LOT of walking though, so I'm sure that helped, but I'm getting back to my 40-30-30 food plan today, and back to the gym tomorrow.

I have to admit, after 2 weeks off, I'm a little scared to get back to it, but I'm just going to move past it, and get it done, knowing how great I'll feel afterwards, even if it leads to some soreness.

Have any of you ever taken a break from lifting for longer than a week? How did it go when you got back to it afterwards? I'd love any words of wisdom from anyone who's "been there, done that." Thanks.
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies...
    I completed my first A workout for Stage 3 Friday evening. The one arm OH squat was weird (10lbs OH/20 lower)... I had a hard time keeping my elbows locked. Every time I went down for a squat, my elbows would bend (almost like a tricep dip)... weird. JNH gave me a heads up on the BWM... OMG!!! I was so winded after the first one... it was sheer willpower to get through the 2nd one... especially with hubby tapping his toes to get out of the gym so he can catch a movie!

I plan on B1 tonight... I read ahead and for now, I have two questions

1. YTWL... I just want to make sure I'm reading it right... 6 reps for each letter.... so YYYYYY, TTTTTT, WWWWWW, LLLLLL.... instead of YTWL, YTWL... etc.

2. Deadlift bent row.... Do you straigthen back up after each row... or just deadlift once, and row 6 times...

Thanks ladies

Karen: I took a week and a half off... I did lower the weights a tad just for safety while I get familiar with the motions.
  • worthyofchange
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I did 3A this morning and tried to conquer my fear of the BWM :smile:
    Although the plank is also my nemesis.

What I did was cut the matrix in half: 12 of each instead of 24. Then I rested twice the time it took me to do the matrix and then repeated. I did my small versions in 1:45 and then 1:40. I did need to stop after every 6 jump lunges or jump squats to slow the room down (a bit light-headed).
    My plan will be to add a third set of these and then the next stage that has these I'll do to two full sets of 24 each exercise.

Welcome back karensoxfan! No advice from me... I'll be taking two weeks off after this stage for a holiday and I fully expect my body to revolt when I start stage 4!
  • worthyofchange
    Options
    Hi Ladies...
    I completed my first A workout for Stage 3 Friday evening. The one arm OH squat was weird (10lbs OH/20 lower)... I had a hard time keeping my elbows locked. Every time I went down for a squat, my elbows would bend (almost like a tricep dip)... weird. JNH gave me a heads up on the BWM... OMG!!! I was so winded after the first one... it was sheer willpower to get through the 2nd one... especially with hubby tapping his toes to get out of the gym so he can catch a movie!

1. YTWL... I just want to make sure I'm reading it right... 6 reps for each letter.... so YYYYYY, TTTTTT, WWWWWW, LLLLLL.... instead of YTWL, YTWL... etc.

2. Deadlift bent row.... Do you straigthen back up after each row... or just deadlift once, and row 6 times...

Thanks ladies

Karen: I took a week and a half off... I did lower the weights a tad just for safety while I get familiar with the motions.

Hi, Welcome back! As for your questions...
    1. Yes, like that. 6 of each in a row and then move to the next letter.
    2. I do a full deadlift for each rep. Pick it all the way up, bend til it goes just below my knees, row, stand up, put it all the way down to the floor. Repeat.

How do others do this? I'm curious too because the instructions are not very clear.
  • annamerrick
    Options
    Hi Ladies...

Thanks ladies

Hi, Welcome back! As for your questions...
    1. Yes, like that. 6 of each in a row and then move to the next letter.
    2. I do a full deadlift for each rep. Pick it all the way up, bend til it goes just below my knees, row, stand up, put it all the way down to the floor. Repeat.

How do others do this? I'm curious too because the instructions are not very clear.

My understanding is that you do a deadlift, then lower bar just below knees and do a row, then come back up to standing, then row again, stand again, etc until you do 6 rows, then lower back down to the floor. Thats one set. The book is not totally clear, but it doesn't say anything about putting the bar back down to the floor for each rep. Enjoy your first B workout!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Did a lunge jump without looking like a total idiot today! YAY! The other 47, of course, looked ridiculous and if I hadn't have been completely alone in the opaque windows of the cycle room, someone would have asked me if I was okay.

Does the BWM come back in any stage? Wait, nevermind. I don't want to know. I don't have to worry about it at least for a while!
  • worthyofchange
    Options
    Did a lunge jump without looking like a total idiot today! YAY! The other 47, of course, looked ridiculous and if I hadn't have been completely alone in the opaque windows of the cycle room, someone would have asked me if I was okay.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Always nice to have another point of reference!!!

LOL! I love it!