Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hello peeps! We have sun today! It is so strange here now. The daffodils are blooming also camellias but it is really damp and cold out. Looks like spring but feels like winter. I still have a case of snugly old bear-itis. I have the urge to sit wrapped in a heavy sweater and read or nap. I need to get moving. There are days when I feel like I am wading in deep mud. I think the thing to do is get out and wash a window or two. Brings in sunlight and gets me out in the air.

I know most people already know about this but recently our son gave me a new pressure cooker. It is the kind that can be a slow cooker or a pressure cooker. It is digital and easily programable. This is so wonderful for everything. It cooks boiled eggs perfectly and the shells simply fall off. Just wanted to say, this is a great device. A bit pricy but worth every penny.

We will be watching one of my favorite movies tonight, "Quartet" starring Maggy Smith. It is such a delight to watch. Have any of you seen it? We have the DVD and it is one of our favorites.

Our doggy girls need a new hairdo. This is such an ordeal but we love the way they prance around after. I am getting new collars as well. We all need new spring outfits don't you think?

It will not be long before we will be dying Easter eggs and planting flowers.
    Enjoy the day, dear friends. Patsy
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,187 Member
    Options
    Welcome Julie! Glad you've joined our group. I am so glad Marie asked you to stop by.

Lin
  • linder4866
    Options
    Patsy - I got an InstantPot which is an all-in-one device: pressure, slow cooker, rice cooker, porridge cooker, and I guess you can braise in it? Also can make yogurt for goodness sakes.

I got it because I am always cooking dry beans. They seem to always turn out just the way I like them when I use the InstantPot. I do not know why and I hope I haven't jinxed myself!!

Enjoy your new toy.

I've never made it through Quartet. I start to watch it on Netflix (I think that's where I found it), and darn, it is always so late I fall asleep before it's over! Someday I'll start out earlier.

Time to run. Going to have an early dinner and then going to a Tupperware party. No, I don't want any Tupperware but the gal is a friend and just starting out. Want to be support. Checkbook is packed.

See you soon. Be healthy and happy.

Lin
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Lin heard of you making crackers.Could you share the recipe. if you eat them I know they are healthy. I do miss the saltines with my soup.
    Marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!! :D Robby was a little cranky today and did not sleep well. He still has a little cold and is congested so he has trouble breathing with his pacifier which he only gets in bed. Tomorrow will be better, I HOPE.

Julie,
    1030932ylj1su6533.gif
    Happy to have you.

It is almost time for dinner and I want to catch up on the computer. Getting so anxious for my cruise, I have a hard time sleeping. Have a great day or what is left of it.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Sandy, i just bought a new jar of vicks vaporub, i noticed they make something specifically for babies too.
    we went out after the ice melted to get dog food and a few groceries. Had to cancel this mornings appts. The roads were icy. So, honey missed her trip for her bath. Ill give her one maybe Thursday or Friday. Bought doggie nail trimmers too. We are getting more snow tomorrow, we think. Im happy to be at home for it, dont want to go out in it. Honey loves it!
    Read all the posts, and welcome Julie, just jump in when you feel like it (*)

Phoebe
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hello All,

Just a quick note as we slipped away for an overnighter in gorgeous Banff. Ed and I had a wonderful time taking pictures and walking around. Not much snow amazing enough but we are supposed to tonight.

• fancyladyJeri
    Options
  • fancyladyJeri
    edited February 2015
    Options
    One more for good measure. Banff is only 70 miles from Calgary. We live in such a gorgeous place.

429cdaqytcfv.jpg
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Lovely Jeri, yes, you do live in a beautiful place.
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Lucky JERI!!! Morning all.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Beautiful Jeri. Beautiful country and the pictures are gorgeous. Thanks!!!
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Hello, ANNE here. The following is just a few comments for ME really, because I so admire you lovely dedicated people. I'm not leaving myFitnessPal and certainly not this forum which I so enjoy reading but I am not going to record the food I eat or any exercise I do for a whole week and see what happens at the end of it, next Wednesday. Just having a week like I did in the past. No Fitbit, no recording calories on the old food diary, no "special" walking, just a nice normal week of doing the things I enjoyed and gave up for weight loss. I'll probably gain a couple of pounds but I was rather getting obsessed with it all. I SHOULD have an inkling on what to eat and how much to move around by now without the benefit of a machine! So here we go.
    It's been a bad year for that awful virus we've all been enduring. Get well soon PHOEBE.
    Enjoy today folks.
    ANNE.
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Hi, not very good at expressing myself. Just want you to know I will still be bugging you all on the forum, just not recording the diary for a week! ANNE
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hello dear sneakers! Yesterday hubby took advantage of a sunny day and decided to mow our grass. We have several acres and about one acre in grass and various gardens. He decovered that during the many storms this winter, part of our fence blew down. We will have that fixed very soon. Our old doggies will always be close to us or the house but other "visitors" may not be welcome. ie: deer, elk, bear, coyotes as well as neighborhood dogs. As the saying goes, "good fences make good neighbors."

I had a bad couple of days regarding weight control. I didn't eat anything really bad, just a bit too much each day. I seem to gain weight so easily. I think the culprit yesterday was too much oatmeal and raisins! I want to get back on the program and start feeling excited about a more active spring and summer. I love working on my flowers. I am not a great gardener but I love being out in my flower beds.

Heard our barred owl again last evening. The call is so unearthly strange. I have seen a great white owl soar silently overhead. Wow! Saw a pbs special about owls and the couple in Scotland who raises owl chicks for research. Great TV show!

Geri, the photos were stunning. I remember a wonderful vacation in Banff, Lake Louise and staying at the lodge. Our kids were teenagers then. They fell I love with the area as well.

Time to get busy and sip coffee with some wonderful music. It is a Vivaldi day, I think! Cheerio! Patsy
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    we love you Anne. at least I can speak for myself.and I am sure the rest of the gang do too. . I too.don't care for keeping my food chart up I do better just posting it here somewhere on M FP Right now since I am on 1-1-1 plan I am posting it there on that group our leader Connie keeps an eye on us there.
    We did have snow this morning but thanks goodness not sticking around very long. may have more Friday.
    Love to all Marie
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Hi MARIE, I'll never get used to this program. Like I said I tried not bothering with the food diary, I know you don't log calories either, but when I pressed the "finish for the day" thing at the bottom it came up with a blurb saying I wasn't eating enough, so I guess I am back to logging calories! Is there a way to stay on MFP without logging on the food diary? Beats me! Do you just ignore it if you don't want to log?
    ANNE (and I loves you too).
    LIN, just a thought, but do you log calories or have you found a way around it?
    Beautiful day here, although very cold still. The garage door and lock was frozen solid this morning, but now the Sun's shining on the door and I managed to get in.
    Love your descriptions of where you live PATSY. I love the wild life and have kestrels and Hawks in my back yard. The bird feeder was attracting them so I ended up not feeding the little birds who in turn were breakfast for the birds of prey. The Great Lakes are almost frozen over, and the Humane Societies are trying to pick up as many as possible of the poor starving water birds. It breaks my heart, I particularly love the ducks, mallards, swans, geese, loons etc.
    However, Spring is on the way, I can feel it in my bones.

ANNE
  • linder4866
    Options
    I am eating my breakfast/lunch now but I'll write a little bit.

Anne, I log in to MFP but no longer submit a diary each day. I write down in a little notebook what I am eating each day and anything noteworthy about my food day. As you may have noticed I have my diary on private and I never submit anything here. Fitbit take care of keeping me accountable on exercise/moving. I am in several other support groups for living a healthy life. The only things I watch really closely would be calorie dense foods like most nuts or tahini for example. Those have to be measured out or I go out of control.

I am not encouraging anyone to follow my example. And by the way I have always ignored any warnings from MFP about low calories. I don't know how it works now but you could always submit your diary no matter of the calorie level. If they changed that, I'm unaware.

Marie - I did not forget the flaxseed/sesame seed/pumpkin seed cracker recipe request. I don't have it stored in a word document I don't think so I will get to it. I got a pile of stuff in the mail to sort through, have some cooking to do, and I promise I'll get to it. Looks like they'll be closing down the area again tonight/tomorrow because of the snow. Sigh.

Back later.

Lin
  • linder4866
    Options
    Marie - still working on my salad but I found a start for my recipe and just updated it in a word document. Here you go. It's a lot of fussing to keep checking them but if you really want some crackers maybe you'll want to try them.

Flax and Sesame Crackers
    Ingredients:
    1 cup ground flax seeds
    1/4 cup psyllium husk powder
    1/4 cup unhulled black sesame seeds
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
    3/4 cup water, or more if needed
    1 Tbsp garlic powder
    1 Tbsp onion powder
    Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl until a dough forms, adding more water if needed.
    Line a heavy baking pan (jellyroll sized) with parchment paper. Place the ball of dough on the parchment paper. Cover with another piece of parchment paper.
    Use a rolling pin and/or your hands to spread out the dough evenly (or as evenly as possible). I actually remove the parchment paper dough *sandwich* from the pan and work on it on the countertop and then return it to the pan. If your parchment paper fits when you return it to the pan you’ll be fine.

Score into squares with a table knife, so they break evenly after baking.
    Bake until crisp. I bake for 60 minutes at 300, then lower the temp to 250 and check each hour after that. As they get more dry, I break them into large pieces (and you’ll see they really are not ready), keep checking every half hour or so until they are very crisp. It will depend on your oven---be sure to watch them—this is just a guideline for how my oven works.
    Remove from oven and place on cooling racks. If you leave them on the baking dish you can get moisture accumulation under the parchment paper.

Makes about 16 crackers according to the original recipe. I prefer to make much smaller pieces so I can feel like I can have a couple of them.

Per the Original Instructions—Nutritional Info--Per Serving:
    CALORIES 139; PROTEIN 6g; CARBOHYDRATES 6g; TOTAL FAT 11.1g; SATURATED FAT 1.4g; SODIUM 6mg; FIBER 4.7g; BETA-CAROTENE 16ug; CALCIUM 83mg; IRON 2.5mg; FOLATE 21ug; MAGNESIUM 109mg; ZINC 1.5mg; SELENIUM 4.3ug
  • Jacean245
    Options
    LIN, I'm going to submit it with nothing on it and see what happens. After all my trials and errors I hardly dare touch the darn thing.