Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good evening Sneaker Friends !! You probably thought I had totally disappeared from the site, but I drop in a couple of times during the week to catch up with everyone. This has become a pleasant "habit" and I do enjoy seeing what everyone has been up too.

Welcome to all of the new people on this site. Nice to see some new faces. For those that don't know me I have been on here for about 1and 1 half yrs. I stayed religiously with the program for the first yr. After retraining my daily food and exercise habits I have ventured on my own. The holidays were brutal, but I am back on track again determined to not gain what all I had lost. Still have some to go to reach my goal, so with continued effort I hope to reach by the end of this yr. Thats a lot easier said that done. LOL Thanks to my Fitbit it keeps me motivated to march on.

So envious of these trips everyone is taking. I am sure if I was living in your brutal winters I would be gone also. I live in Calif. and I am cold at 74 during the winter. Don't know how I dealt with the Canadian winters for a number of yrs. Thinking of taking our rv south for about 10 days. The southern part of the state is a bit warmer.

Saw a dear old friend and her husband a couple of weeks ago. We go way back to the second grade and they stood up for us at our wedding. Always so good to see them. They live out of state. However it does bring us to the reality of our ages and especially this time as she now has lost all her vision and walks with a cane. Made my visit to my dr only to find out I now have glaucoma requiring drops. Family history here. My mom used a cane from about 65 yrs old. Inspite of this I am doing well and I plan on sticking around a while.

We are in the midst of getting landscaping estimates to refresh our front and backyards. They were put in in 1998 and could use some work. We moved just to get away from the yard work, so this smaller yard once straightened up some should be more to our liking. Still am thinking about a raised veggie bed, but the current placement of trees and the shade in back may not work for that. Do like my fresh veggies..... Our drought continues on and water is really becoming an issue for watering etc. Waiting to hear what the water companies are expecting of us this yr. Last yr it was a 20% reduction. With no rain to speak of it really is starting to make many of us concerned. Being a native Californian I have never seen it this bad.

Jeri.....love your pictures as usual. They reminded me of my flight flying over the Rockies from Vancouver to Calgary ....the beautiful mtns with the peaks peaking out in the snow. Stay warm up there. And for the rest of you I hope spring is here shortly. Everyone be safe and warm and I am thinking of everyone. Take care....

:) Diane

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!! :D One more sleep and away we go, I can hardly wait. Everything is done except for the packing which I will do after Robby leaves. We are expecting six inches of snow here Sunday so I am more than thrilled we are leaving tomorrow morning. I don't know if I will be checking in at all but behave yourselves and enjoy life. (Is that a moxie moron)

Have a great day and a great week, I know I will.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    HAPPY A HAPPY AND SAFE VACATION, SANDY!!!!!! B)
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,187 Member
    Options
    Happy happy trip to you Sandy!!!
  • Jacean245
    Options
    That of course shoul read HAVE !
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sandy in case I don't get to it. have a wonderful trip/ You deserve a get away Have a ball. let those baby grown ups fetch for them self..
    Marie

• Jacean245
    Options
    Hello all. My eldest took me out for me and Tabitha Daisy's grocery rations for the week, and I'm so glad he did because although it is now a balmy minus 12 it was worse out than last week at minus 21 because of the wind. We had lunch of, I'm afraid, English fish and chips! Bitterly cold, so........ Now home I'm going to fill out the income tax forms, a job I hate every year but refuse to have a professional do it for me........ Just yet!
    Enjoy this afternoon folks, ANNE.
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Hello all. My eldest took me out for me and Tabitha Daisy's grocery rations for the week, and I'm so glad he did because although it is now a balmy minus 12 it was worse out than last week at minus 21 because of the wind. We had lunch of, I'm afraid, English fish and chips! Bitterly cold, so........ Now home I'm going to fill out the income tax forms, a job I hate every year but refuse to have a professional do it for me........ Just yet!
    Enjoy this afternoon folks, ANNE.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Quick note before we had out to the Home and Garden Show.

Sandy have a great trip.

Anne - nasty weather. Income Tax time - glad Ed handles that and not me. I used to do it before he retired but that is one of the chores he took on.

Marie - boy you are having nasty weather too.

DIANE - thank you. I thought of you when I posted my picture. We just had the BEST time in Banff. It is so gorgeous but they really don't have much snow.

Lin - I read and watched Gone Girl. I think I liked the book better.

Buzz - big hugs to you. Hard times for sure. Look after yourself dear one, we care so much about you.

BARBIE - how did you make out for supper? Wondering .....

Phoebe - wow, those are nice pictures. We loved the Exotic Marigold as well. Great movie.

Oops, time to head out. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Jeri

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Hello everyone! The day is high thin clouds with a 30% chance of showers. So there you have it...spring! The contractor has us and the fence rebuild on his rotation. This is not a simple task. There are two big trees that fell during a windstorm and crashed into the fence. Now we have to have a landscape/arborist come and chop up the trees and finish inspecting the neighboring trees for damage. Oh the joys of home ownership and maintaining a small forest!

One of life's twists and turns is that the movies or TV that we often watch centers on family relationships. That is odd because, more and more, we hear from friends how disconnected they feel to their family. It is almost a terrible american condition. Our sense of family is disappearing. The Internet, while wonderful and at times, life-saving, has unraveled the family fabric. Oh enough of my philosophic drivel!

I have read recently that eggs are not so bad for us after all. Great! I am going to boil a couple of eggs for lunch. That and a couple of small tomatoes should set me up for a few tasks for the day. One of this big necessary tasks is a brushing for the furry girls. They are overdue for a beauty treatment.

Lin, I agree with you whole heartedly about the movie Gone Girl! Be warned folks...this is a very unpleasant movie.
    Diane, haven't met you before but I enjoyed your post and enjoyed getting to know you.
    Anne, when we lived in Wyoming and in Alaska we suffered in those cold temperatures. What I think also is that when you live in cold northern climes, you tend to prepare by having really warm coats and boots. Good warm gloves and snow tires. We who are not used to the extreme cold are totally unprepared for it. It is scary for us!
    Patsy
  • Jacean245
    Options
    PATSY I can imagine it IS scary. It was for me when I first arrived. Snow on October 8th, unimaginable for us from a misty, moisty island where it probably snowed around the end of December, and soon disappeared. Ah well, it IS beautiful and fresh snow hides a multitude of mans sins. Can't wait to see if it's been hiding the snowdrops when it finally recedes!
    Is anybody else having trouble with the Internet today. So .....s l o w..... I see I somehow managed to post twice.
    ANNE.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Another day gone, gone, gone! I did a bit of paperwork, laundry, searching for a recommended repair list for my car (it was hiding from me!), talked to a realtor regarding my dad’s acreage, got lots of walking in, cooked some black lentils and some lovely broccoli and cleaned/chopped fresh vegetables again. Also went to the library to return some books and pick up some others. Honestly, I think I just got home and surprise – I have another book on hold!

I’m going to take a nice hot shower and read a bit. I’ll off tomorrow to meet my friends to go to a craft show so I may not be around tomorrow. Maybe in the evening……

Patsy – did your soup turn out the way you wanted the other day? I’ve been salt-free for so long I think anything with salt tastes terrible. So yes, you definitely adapt. Are you using lots of tasty herbs to add flavor? Wishing you well. I’m already thinking about what type of beans I’ll cook in my InstantPot next. So lovely to cook beans without watching the pot or stirring.

Anne – glad you got your provisions for the week.

Diane – so great to hear from you. We’ll look forward to updates on your project to change your landscaping.

Marie – is your weather shaping up now? I haven’t heard anything. We had snow, extreme cold, now it’s to warm up a bit, then snow tomorrow evening and Sunday. Early next week they are saying perhaps freezing rain, snow, and sleet all in one day. Really? Insane.

Buzz – I wonder about some of those drugs as well. I did ask my dad’s doctor about Aricept and he told me it wasn’t worthwhile for my dad. I hope it helps your DH.

Jackie – hugs to George.

Jeri – did you tell us when/where you travel next?

Phoebe – are you feeling better? I hope you don’t have to drive for a few days. Hugs for Honey as well.

Hello to everyone I am missing. See you soon.

Lin
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    lin tis as been a reslly bad day to be on the roads,
    Tis morning not nothing and around 9 AM it started snowing Then all heck broke lose.Alice went to work and started home around noon and it took her 2 hours for a 15 minute drive home. Like that all over Dallas and Mesquite.

KaTHY. went to work and left at 3;30 AND TOOK HER LONG TIME TO GET HOME.
    Jerry made 4 trips to run erons Said the grocer stores was pack people buying groceries.
    Anther bad day here, me I stay in.
    Marie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Oh my gosh Marie - I didn't know it was that bad. I am glad you are staying home. Yes, when we get bad weather people flock to the grocery stores and wipe out the supplies! It's crazy. Take care.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    Options
    Bon Voyage !!! Will be back March 8!!!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Options
    We'll miss you!!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Lots to get caught up on. We had our last walk on the beach this morning. :'(

The car will be picking us up at 11:00 am and then to the airport.

I will try and read some of the posts when I get home.

I did finished the 28 day squat challenge and didn't think I could do it but finished yesterday.

See you when I get home. I won't be weighing in for a few days until I get rid of the sodium
    and back on track.

Shirley
    Negril, Jamaica
  • Jacean245
    Options
    SHIRLEY, Hello, safe journey, and welcome home! Today it is bliss, quite balmy at minus 5 this afternoon. You can smell spring in the air! ANNE.
  • Jacean245
    Options
    SANDY, have fun! Looking forward to your return and all your adventures. ANNE. B)
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Have a great time. Sandy. I know you will Who's all going? I know your daughter is but cannot recalled the others. get plenty of sunshine. have a blast
    Marie