Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,364 Member
    edited May 2020
    Hello. Finally I transplanted my tiny seedlings into pots this morning. They are so tiny! But It is overcast so I put them out on the porch for some real outdoors air. I was going to pot up the celery as well but decided to wait for a few more roots. Haaaa.

I won’t have much of a deck garden this year. Most of my things are so backordered they likely will not arrive until mid-June or July. Some things I can save over and use next year. Well, that is the way things are because I don’t have the wherewithal to get out there to shop in the local garden centers.

Shocking development that is breaking my heart. I mentioned the passing of a lady I had sent cards to for years. Well, she is the wife of our former Pastor. I thought there would be a private funeral since that’s what has been happening for months. However, totally knocked flat by the news. Limited people allowed in at a time for visitation at the funeral home. But there will be a funeral at our church the next day, a burial service and a funeral luncheon afterwards. Apparently no restrictions on any of that. While I would like to show my respect for this wonderful lady and her husband, but I don’t feel I can go.

Agonizing decisions. Ack.

Meanwhile I have been fighting some type of ‘thing’ on one finger. From just below the fingernail to the top joint, a red lumpy thing which has been there for years and years (I suspect originally I got a bit of metal sliver there) got larger and suddenly I would wake up at night with a throbbing finger. Well, I finally made a hole in the top of it and nasty mushy yellow stuff oozed out. Seemed better. Until the next day, it was larger again so I opened it again and pushed out more icky stuff, but less. I once had an abscess on my arm and did a similar thing after first having it lanced at a doctor’s office so I was fearless or reckless, take your choice. I wash my hands all the time so I am sure it is clean. I have put hydrogen peroxide on it and when I transplanted today I wore vinyl gloves. At least I can sleep again. All I can say is 2020 is a very unusual year. Much too unusual.

Hoping for happier news from me soon as well.

Hugs. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Lin

• linder4866
    edited May 2020
    Wow, no other posts. I was a conversation killer today. Sorry! I will do better tomorrow.

Lookee, mushrooms growing. Interesting. It is a one time experiment.

w1kzenqgrdki.jpeg

❤️🙋🏼‍♀️❤️
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Cloudy day but so far no rain. A very chilly day however.

I have been thinking of ways to feel better emotionally. Maybe more entertainment options than watching movies or TV. Getting out the hibachi or the fish smoker to smoke some salmon. Going on a picnic or walk through our little woods. The mosquitoes are hatching and the scotch broom is full bloom, so outdoor activities are not as much fun as we would like. I need to think longer and more creatively.

We had another virus case yesterday in our county. Oooooops! Maybe we are not really ready for reopening everything. There is a drive through testing station but we have not gone for a test yet. If our son could get tested, we would would get tested. Then we could have a visit. Maybe that can happen this summer. Our daughter will not get tested so that sort of makes it hard to visit in person with her.

Off to races again...cleaning bathrooms and then in my dungeon researching missing tarot card reader. For some reason I am worried about that nutty little woman, wondering about with her cat. I envision her out in the woods eating poisonous mushrooms and drinking dirty water. I really need to get back to a creative project. I am totally obsessed.

Stay safe and keep healthy,
    Patsy☘️

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Just a note for now. Everyone employed at Mikes firm is to be tested today. Just one person confirmed infected out of roughly one hundred employees, but that's how contagious this virus is.
    Stay SAFE and LIN make sure those ARE mushrooms! I'm sure they are..........!
    Hugs from up here as we wait for a warm day to begin. Annie.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Yesterday late afternoon into evening MFP gave its down for maintenance message and I then got into a long Skype chat with a friend so missed out posting. In the morning I drove into town to post our card to Buzz, the first time since lockdown I’ve visited the high street. Pretty well everything shut apart from the post office but still a few people appeared oblivious to social distancing so I felt perhaps I live in a parallel world! 🙃🤪🤔

Today, after a thick sea mist burnt off, I took the pooches on a wide triangular walk and have just got home to sit in the cool for a few minutes with my coffee. This was one of the views as we strolled on what I call the high road.
    c76et43zyb6y.jpeg

Sandy, if I didn’t have my garden to tend and George and Betty to entertain me I’m sure I would be struggling being at home all the time after all there’s only so many Netflix box sets I’d want to plough through. The friend I Skyped yesterday admitted she is spending hours watching different series and that’s not like her at all. I did my best to encourage her to get out for a daily walk while our weather is warm and dry. Although our lockdown has eased few people are going out because they don’t want to cause a second wave of the virus.... bloomin’ heck, we aren’t over the first yet!

Patsy, we had a live life model class on tv a few days ago that I tried to follow with charcoal and pad. We were given one minute to sketch the first model and haha, I managed a couple of unrecognisable squiggles. The next very complex pose, 2 minutes during which time I did nothing but panic so when the third nude appeared and we were given 5 whole minutes it seemed like forever and I managed to create something more than a blob! That’s me but you are an incredibly creative lady so will I’m sure find something soon to get your head into and away from so many worries. ❤️

Wow Lin, amazing mushrooms! Don’t make it a one time thing. Someone at the allotment grows mushrooms in a small trench filled with bark chipping. His wife is Japanese so I’m guessing she gave him the idea! What on earth set off your finger like that? You were brave to lance it and if I dare make a comparison, Brady had an abscess on his chest after a particularly vicious attack but once it burst I could tell he felt so much better. I cleaned it with saline water and saved myself a hefty vet bill. 😁. That’s so sad about your friend’s funeral but she would understand your reservations. Can you visit the funeral home since they are being more careful?

Dare not turn the page back so will just wish everyone a good and healthy Wednesday. I’ll leave you with pics of George on his 5 mile trek along a coastal trail with my neighbour on Monday. He had a great time!
    euov9kbubz0i.jpeg

Jackie

• linder4866
    Hello, another day without sunshine here so happy to see the lovely photos of George on his sunny long walk yesterday.

Will be back later but I ran across this interesting teapot so of course, I had to share it before I lost the post. Not my text or photo.

‘ Tea-time, jungle style
    Delightful Antique, India, - silver and coconut
    .. 19th century”

0la85t03vkzp.jpeg

❤️❤️
  • Gawanne35
    Loved George's latest photos JACKIE. He really is a show dogs,
    And LIN, tips on how to grow mushrooms please! Can you grow them in a garage and can you grow them maybe in the basement during our frigid winters? I haven't a clue, but we all love mushrooms. I think you are awfully clever. But the finger, ouch! Many sympathies on that score!
    Annie.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,273 Member
    edited May 2020
    Happy Wednesday! :) We have a beautiful warm sunny day so I will indeed get out for a walk and get some fresh air. More rain is coming for the weekend but for now it is wonderful.
    I have a Walmart order to pick up around 5:00, so I hope most of my order is in stock.
    So hopefully I won't offend anyone but this is too funny not to share. We all need a good laugh now and then.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d02A9nmJxcM

Anne, not all of us like mushrooms although I use them is some recipes, I make sure the are cut up small. How long do the employees have to wait for their results Anne? Are all one hundred employees back at work? Please let us know about Michaels results as soon as you hear.

Jackie, wonderful pictures as usual. George was on a long lead, was he okay with that? The other picture where you walked is amazing. We have nothing like that around me but I wish we did. Yes, there is only so much you can watch which is why I was doing different projects.
    But not today when the sun is shining, I will clean and do laundry and projects on rainy days.

Lin, I hope you get some sunshine soon, it is so depressing with all the rain. I don't think I could go to the wake or funeral only because I am so paranoid. Say a prayer, send your card and I am sure all will understand. Good job on the mushrooms especially since you love them.
    How is your finger today? It sounds awful and painful, do you think a virtual doctor's visit might help??

Patsy, we all have to find ways to keep busy even though sometimes we don't feel like doing anything. You have wonderful Katie to keep you busy and a wonderful husband. We will get through this but in most cases it is better not to look and every news item that comes out since most of the reasoning is political.

Hello to everyone else and I hope you all get some sunshine and happy news today.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited May 2020
    Hello again.

Anne, it is a good thing to test everyone that was in the office with the employee who got the virus. I hope no one else contracted it. Here they generally find out what days the inflected employee might have been in the office and they test a subset of people who likely came in contact with the person. It is probably because we haven’t had enough tests to go around. But the office is usually shut down and ‘deep cleaned’ whatever that means.

Jackie, you have the busiest days! In these days where people cannot remember which day of the week it is, you have more interests than most everyone I know! Oh, it is International Bee 🐝 Day today. Are the bees still looking over the hive(s)? There was a Facebook post showing a hive constructed of Legos as sort of an ornament and surprise, bees moved in!

Instead of watching loads of instructional content, which I should do, I have found a treasure trove of vintage cartoons on YouTube. I am loving the old Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Daffy Duck, Pink Panther, Popeye and many many more oldies. Brings a smile to my face. I got signed in on my Roku(s) so I can watch on a larger screen but not as portable as my iPad. But then I don’t have Netflix. 😂🤣😂

And thanks for the suggestion about going to the visitation and I had thought about it but only 10 people at a time are allowed in. Given she worked for the state for years, that he is a Pastor, that they performed as a duet at many religious events, that they have extended family, and everyone loved her, I would imagine the line will be very long. I have sent my card with a personal note and I may post another note online and that will be it.

Okay, mushrooms. I have wanted to grow mushrooms but before buying lots of stuff I decided to try a kit for growing oyster mushrooms. I did follow all the instructions and generally it is a big disappointment as most of the surface did not produce mushrooms. Very pricey to use a kit so I will revert to ordering fresh mushrooms when I want some. The frozen mushroom mixture has been sold out for months along with my favorite French cut frozen green beans. Anyway, here’s a photo of the kit.

cbq3g3j3agns.jpeg

Off to gather lunch and tea!

Hugs to,all my friends.

Lin ❤️🙋🏼‍♀️❤️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,149 Member
    :) In addition to watching TV, I've found great entertainment and companionship from podcasts. I listen to three podcasts about happiness, three about food, and one about a different topic every time. I've learned a bit and enjoyed a lot.

:) I avoid the news except for watching "The Daily Show with Trevor Noah". Even that I can watch only once or twice a week.

:) Our garden is simple---elephant garlic, shallots, radishes, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini. I just planted the zucchini from seed and am excited about seeing it grow. I marked the area with a sign that says "Zucchini 5/18/20 so I remember when I planted it so I don't get over anxious about when they'll sprout.

:)Lin, a lot of unusual mushrooms grow wild in my neighborhood. They are fun to look at but no chance would anyone pick them and eat them.

<3 Barbie
  • Gawanne35
    Thanks for the mushroom tip LIN. Mary Jo is always hanging around garden centres so I'll get her to have a look now that they are sort of opened to the public again. Mind you we have huge barns up here full of happy little mushrooms so we get them year round in the stores and they are not too expensive. I love homemade mushroom soup made with cream.

Everyone at Michaels office is being tested today, but not Michael. He was only in the empty office area and seven days have passed since he was there. Mark and I suspect he will be laid off permanently once the government help runs out at the end of June. We will cross that bridge when we reach it if this is so! He won't be alone! A few worried co workers around who he talks to, but I don't think he himself is worried right now. It's the younger ones with families who have the biggest problem.

I was out in the garden cutting back foliage and weeding when Mark suddenly arrived. Bless him, he fixed my kitchen sink leaking pipe and he got the shower working again and then he cut the front and back lawns so we look nice and neat for the coming weekend which is supposed to be HOT.

And that's about it from lovely warm Ontario!
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Partly cloudy but pleasant temps. So Katie and I had a nice long ball game in the back yard. We need to mow again. The grass is very tall. John is currently tied up with rearranging our bank account. This negative interest rate is very annoying. About the grass mowing, it is done on our little lawn tractor. I tried to do it once and got it stuck in mud. Tried again and almost turned it over on a steep hill. John has forcefully suggested that I stay off of his tractor! Ooooohkay! Message received!

All the rhododendrons are showing off. I love them. Even if Katie brings in those sticky flower pods and the petals from the flowers.

I think we will barbecue on the little hibachi for Memorial Day. I will watch the big concert on TV. I used to help plant little American flags on our little road. It was a beautiful sight to see all of the flags waving along this country road. The guy who organized the whole thing has since moved to Arizona so that wonderful neighborhood tradition has come to a screeching halt. As things come back to life, I will see about starting that up again. I miss it.

I am in a constant amazement over George and Jilly trotting off on walks with other than Her family. Katie would balk at that. If it were not someone in the family (her pack) she isn’t all that friendly. In fact she has always been shy around strangers. No matter how we tried to socialize her. Our doc says that some breeds and certain individual doggies are just shy or fearful. Katie has never had a bad experience and she had a wonderful home as a little puppy.

Pod casts........hum! I will need to investigate them. Thanks for that suggestion.
    Patsy☘️
  • pinkperil
    Good morning sneakers. A glorious one here after a short, sharp burst of thunder and rain in the night. Not enough to do anything for my parched garden unfortunately. An update on Buzz has arrived from her friend so posting for you all to read. I'm now off to attempt visiting a store that's busy at the best of times and see how I feel about entering when I get to their car park! Back later.

I just got a little call from Barbara earlier tonight. She has been moved to another room, which is Willowbrooke Court, # 301. (Jackie, I did send you the mailing address, which is Willowbrooke Court, but they just use the postal address).

Barbara had an MRI on her hand today and so because she has been out of Edgewater, is now on the 14 day quarantine. Thus, the change of room. Not that it makes any difference to us because we cannot visit the medical unit anyway. However, it does mean she is now confined to her room only.

She has a new bedside phone number, which is 544-3326. I think she would like the occasional call, but sounded pretty tired to me. You want to stay in contact, but at the same time I know I don’t feel like bothering her. I know she is also having rehab, but I guess that has to be done in her room only now. They won’t be able to take her along the hallway.

Happy Thursday.
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Sorry, I should have added that she also commented that Buzz sounded a little deflated compared to a previous call so is worried about any progress being made. I'm hoping it might just be tiredness after moving to another room.

Jackie
  • linder4866
    Thanks for the update. Oh how I wish it had been better news for our dear friend. I wish we could provide more support. We are fortunate that you have kept in touch with these folks.

Jackie, I hope your trip to the store works out and it is not busy. Happy provision hunting.

Although people really want to get out. I saw a video this morning from the beach at Southend (?). What crowds.

Lin
  • linder4866
    Early morning teapot.

- Ceramics artist Madeline Kaczmarczyk created this wheel thrown teapot with luster glazes and glass beads.

e0dfcqx7uow6.jpeg

❤️❤️❤️
  • Gawanne35
    What on earth is wrong with a lot of the younger generation! They seem to have no self control at all, it's all about "me" it seems and "what I want now, this very minute". Thus they put the local populations of the towns and beauty spots they visit at risk as well as their silly selves.

Everyone at Michael's firm have tested clear of the virus except the man who is ill. So if everyone just keeps clear of the lake beaches.......!

I'm baking, and I'm not really disgruntled but just wonder why such a lot of people think they are immortal! Like one nurse put it "why on earth do I bother" as she prepared for bed after her night shift.

Anne.
  • Gawanne35
    Just thought of another question if anyone can answer it. I was reading about women bemoaning the fact that they are having to do without eyelash extensions, nail extensions and fillers. Okay, I understand eyelash extensions and nail extensions but what on earth are fillers? All I can think of is big burly builders running around buildings filling in cracks with putty knives.
    I'm really showing my age here but I have a curious nature so what on earth are FILLERS.
    It all sounds somewhat self absorbing.

Like everyone I wish BUZZ a speedy recovery but will let her recover at the moment. She seems to be in good hands at least.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    I've just purchased a tube of expanding foam filler to squeeze into a gap between a window sill and replacement window that I think is leaking. When you find out Anne I might add it to my few cosmetics!

Today's walk
    px2a8hwvhb6l.jpg

Jackie
  • pinkperil
    .... or should I say today's sit? 😁