Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,149 Member
    :)Jackie, Before we moved to our current neighborhood, I took the dogs to the off leash dog park every day and they loved it. When we moved here, the drive to the dog park was longer but I resolved to continue the practice until I figured out how much they liked the roads and trails in the neighborhood. That's when I stopped bothering with driving 15 minutes each way for a dog walk. Bessie walks only in a limited area near the house but Sasha loves to go all over the park. When a new building was being constructed a block outside our park, we would walk over there every Sunday to see how the building had progressed.

:)Anne, I was raised by people who treasured "things" so it took me a lot longer to let go. Now I know that memories are in our hearts and not in "things" so my home is much emptier.

swj6jn1r97r5.jpg

I love our fence, but today will be the day we wash it with baby shampoo and soft rags.

<3 Barbie
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    I can well imagine it is very hard to let go of things once cherished by loved ones. If I hadn't come to live in Canada when we had to let a lot of stuff go I'd be in the same boat I guess.

We've just been for our trot around the church grounds. Very interested in a rather friendly squirrel today, our Jilly. Lots of joggers to wave to and one nice lady yelled "I love you as well". I think she meant Jilly the Bean, not me!

Mikes decided to stay home because a few huge black clouds are building up. So here I am all dressed up and nowhere to go! I try to make some effort if I know the family might arrive. Time to look scruffy again, and I bet Mark shows!

❤️Anne. 🙃🐶🌷
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    A later tea break because I've been stripping trims off my other windows and this means up a ladder which I go at slowly these days. I was interrupted by George trying to dig out the tiniest mouse from under the sofa, no doubt a Brady victim. Luckily I was able to scoop it up when George was distracted and put it outside. Also have had to peg down the tomato house because it was trying it's best to walk across my garden in a strong breeze!
    I love the idea of washing a fence with baby shampoo and assume it's because it contains no nasty chemicals.
    Tea over just as I hear my neighbours shouting at Brady because he's stalking a bird. One day he'll get too old to bother!

Another very 1930's tea set designed before we knew of Sputniks... fascinating!

Back up my ladder!
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,273 Member
    Happy Saturday! :) Another beautiful day here as well, not too hot, not too cold. I am doing my sheets today as my new routine is to do laundry on Friday and sheets on Saturday. I also got my house cleaned yesterday so all is good until next week.
    I have to admit I am a little nervous about visiting the kiddos in the house but Lisa takes their temps everyday and they isolate as I do, so just praying all goes well. I think if they come within six feet I will put on my mask but otherwise no. Wish me luck.

Chicago also had demonstrations last night and Minneapolis seems out of control. And all Trump can do is worry about being censored on Twitter. Seriously??

Have a good day and keep safe.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,364 Member
    edited May 2020
    Good afternoon friends. It is a sunny day in the low 70’s. I have been sorting through my online orders. I am still trying to coordinate plants, containers and soil. You would think it would be very easy but ordering from multiple sources, delays in shipping and now last minute order cancellations is a bit trying, especially since I don’t plan on going to the garden center. Most recently the large container I ordered for tomato plants just simply disappeared from my order. I thought it was shipped last week. Surprise, just as they were to ship, the item was cancelled as out of stock. I was hoping to plant my little seedlings along with the plants I ordered which are to arrive Tuesday on Wednesday. Now I don’t know if I will have enough pots and the temperatures are forecast to climb quite high which is not very good for new plantings. Now I am thinking about what I could use as shade for the poor little things. Pots will be too heavy to drag around on the deck.

So that is my day so far.

Barbie, your approach to everything is so calm and rational, I admire you. And wow, I love your fence! Someday I will have to replace my old 6’ cedar fence and they offer white fencing, plastic? vinyl? As an option. I have heard it lasts much longer than cedar. But I didn’t know it was necessary to wash it. I did the big job of water proofing my fence at first but then finally gave it up. It was expensive and time consuming. When I had dogs, I only walked them in the neighborhood. There were very few dog parks at that time and I purchased this house because it was close to a walking/biking trail. They enjoyed it.

Anne, did anyone show up to visit today? You kept some very meaningful items. That is lovely. I am a keeper. While I have memories, I am also comfortable being surrounded by things that are familiar to me, my own and my family’s items. I spent a lot of time as a child with my grandmother and she would dig things out of the attic, out of closets, or dressers and we would sit down and she would talk about her sister, or her mother, or other relative. I saw lovingly wrapped locks of hair, old clothing, quilts, letters, post cards, valentines and a steamer trunk. Very interesting to me. I was allowed to play with a few old toys that belonged to my mom and her sisters as well as some well worn old books. I am a sap for ‘sentimental stuff’.

Sandy, you will do fine with the family. You are a very careful person. I hope you can relax and enjoy the visit.

Jackie, the gifts of tiny mice are not something I would appreciate. Really would not appreciate the surprise. 😉 May the tomato house stop its travels.

Patsy, hello, I hope you are having a good weekend. Things are very strange here. People are doing just about everything. A number of people have asked me when I am going to start doing things. I said I do not know.

We had demonstrations here yesterday and afterwards a riot broke out and windows were broken out, the police stations d the court house attacked, a patrol car destroyed, officers attacked. It was crazy. I don’t know how this helps. At least no fires that I heard about.

Hugs, best wishes, and off I go. I have a sinus headache again today. So I think I will stop looking at this screen. Does not help.

Lin ❤️❤️

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Strange and scary times. I wonder how this will end up. It reminds me of civil rights demonstrations in the past. Great civil unrest going on and during a pandemic! I don’t think things could get any more unstable. I have been pleading with all family and friends to stay very careful and double down on isolating if possible. We even had a small nonviolate demonstration in front of our courthouse.

Today is cloudy and rainy. Everything is in bloom. The air is moist and our plantlife is in full growth mode. John mowed the grass yesterday and our sweet neighbors were mowing as well. They just mowed part of our grass while they were at it...great neighbors and so thoughtful.

When John was in Costco a couple of days ago he spotted big bunches of lovely red roses. I now have a big cheerful vase of red roses. Is that wonderful or what?

Today I must clip Katie’s toenails. Alert the military! This is serious! She considers this similar to having someone tear off her legs. I need to do this more often but I have to be ready for battle. Katie is strong and as crazy as they come. I cannot understand why clipping her toenails is such a drama. Wish me luck!

Our son got moved into the rental house and he is in such chaos he had to sleep on the couch. He needs help but he will not allow us to help. It is too risky for us to travel and try to help him put things away. He insists we stay isolated. He must keep working at his animation business at the same time. So as a mom and a worrier by nature, I will stay here and just wring my hands. He is a big boy and has somehow gotten along for years without my assistance. Hummmmmmmm

Wishing everyone a nice weekend.
    Patsy☘️

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,149 Member
    :)Lin, I love the white vinyl fence. We have had it for several years and this only the second time we've washed it. It's not that difficult. It was more pricey than wooden fencing but still looks new compared to the wood fences in other yards. We dont buy a lot of stuff, but when we do, we get exactly what we want.

:)Sandy I understand your concern about visiting your grandchildren especially because you haven't gone into any building but your own apartment in so long. Take your mask, hand sanitizer, and a positive attitude

:) We washed only a few sections of fence before it started raining. Jake opted to use Scrubbing Bubbles and a brush instead of baby shampoo and a rag.

Barbie
  • Gawanne35
    45 Fahrenheit here! Just saying! That's 7 deg C. And almost June!
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Yikes Anne! 24c here so almost as hot as Spain. B) The foam filler has expanded nicely this morning so while it dries, which then allows me to cut off the excess, I'm enjoying a coffee break... well I would if George wasn't barking at nothing!
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    We are facing a very hot week after today. Temps near 90 degrees F on the way. 🥵

• linder4866
    Oh, a totally pink tea day. 💕💕

a7699dd2pjcg.jpeg

• Gawanne35
    We have gone up to 8C here at almost 8 am. Positively steamy! Anne, digging out her thick winter pants.
  • pinkperil
    Anne, some would say your fault for buying those billowing joggers!! 😂

I'm chuffed with myself because the windows are repaired so I just have to stick back the plastic strips with sealant. My neighbours popped round to admire my work and now, while cement dries, I'll put the kettle on then sit in the sun with my next read, The Mystery of Princess Louise.
    Most of the country appears to think the virus has gone as they pack beaches and parks with little sign of social distancing but I'm happy to stay in my bubble, probably for a very long time.

I've never attempted George's claws Patsy as he is very ticklish around his feet. The groomer checks during her visits but it seems they don't get long enough to cause a problem. Of course you will worry about your son... you're allowed!

That's VERY pink Lin and I'm not sure I could cope with tea in such a bright cup. The macaroons are giving me a headache just looking at them. 🤢

Where's that cuppa I promised myself?
    Happy Sunday 🤗
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Happy Sunday! :) It is cooler here as well but should reach 70 degrees F. Might be warm enough to sit on my balcony but we will see. I had a great time with the kiddos. I came in with my mask but then took it off but at one point sitting on the couch Robby asked me why I wasn't wearing my mask. I said well no one is sick and I think we are okay. He said but people are sick that don't even know they are sick, I put my mask on. Smart little guy.
    I will be honest and say I didn't wear it all the time especially when outside. I asked Rob and Lisa if I should leave it on and they were comfortable with me taking it off. We were still trying to keep social distancing but Charlie does like to be held. I am just praying we as a family will be fine and didn't jeopardize our health. Big hugs were given with the mask on. <3

Patsy, I thought of this video when you said you had to cut Katie's nails. I think this would work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iiraDuxVYw

The riots are out of control and not the way a protest should be. I hope things settle down soon and of course now we have to worry about a second surge of the virus since a lot of them did not wear masks and were in each others faces. I swear this world is going to end soon with all that is happening. Not the way George Floyd would want to be remembered.

Have a good day and stay safe.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Gawanne35
    I've put the heating back on AND my winter pants. Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited May 2020
    Good afternoon. Finally a bit of sunshine popped out. It is now 70 degrees. I was busy puttering around and tragedy struck. Something (I am guessing a rabbit) ate my almost ready to be potted tomato plants that were out on the deck in a tray. I am so sad. I will pot up what is left and hope for the best. No worries about having enough pots now.

Meanwhile, I will give the indoor route a go. Heirloom cherry tomatoes are being germinated now.

hj97e4uwylu7.jpeg

It might not work but there are no bunnies in the house. ☺️

Businesses announced early closings. 5pm this evening. In anticipation of further violence and property damage. It has been a nasty couple of nights here. I was up watching coverage of the disruptions last night from about 11:30pm to 1:30am. All the property damage, police up all night patrolling, community leaders trying to talk the crowd into dispersing. One patrol car demolished, personal injuries from thrown rocks, masses of tear gas. Absolutely a mess.

Anyway, no one is talking about the virus now. I see the U.S. has almost 18,000 new cases today according to the tracker I follow. I will continue to stay home.

Sandy, I am glad you had a good visit with the kids and hope everyone continues to be well. No pictures of the pup? I have seen the peanut butter video quite a few times. It is funny.

Anne, I had my hooded sweatshirt on for a while today but it is off now. It sure felt good.

Jackie, I did like the bright pink pot but the rest, well, I couldn’t edit it out. The pink cookies looked like styrofoam to me. 🤣😂🤣 Good job on the windows. You are quite handy!

Barbie, thanks for the information on the fence. I need a lot of linear feet (is that right) of fencing as my entire backyard is enclosed. I am thinking I am old enough that the cheaper cedar would be a better deal. I don’t know if I would get my money’s worth from the larger investment.

Patsy, how did the toenail project turn out? Or is it still pending?

Wishing all health and happiness. ❤️❤️

Lin
  • pinkperil
    Oh Lin, if only we didn't live so far apart you would be welcome to my 6 spare cherry tomato plants. What an amazing indoor garden. You could grow most things in there I'm sure.
    Squirrels are running riot at the allotments stealing strawberries. I see them each evening I visit to water our seedlings. Pesky things are taking them before they have a chance to ripen!

Early coffee and shower time. Another gorgeous day ☀️🌞
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    I'm up early after a surprisingly good nights sleep! Just reading the BBC news and see a photo of the Yorkshire garden at the Chelsea flower show. A photo of Bill and Ben the flower pot men as well! For those of you not in the know The Flower Pot Men was a children's TV show way back when. But best of all, the Queen riding her horse at 94 years old which has got me yearning for a horse as well! After all I'm a chick compared to her majesty!

I was quite down in spirits yesterday. No Sunday phone call from Roy, and Dave and Marie also gone, plus the dreadful tragedy unfolding across the border. Well I find my fingers in the cookie jar when I'm upset which doesn't help, but today is a new day, it's warming up, and there's a photo of our queen riding her horse. That's the secret of old age in normally healthy individuals I think. Grieve, but then carry on; delighting in the people and pets still with us (even the pesky squirrels) doing our chores, applying our earrings and lipstick, and riding a horse - who knows, there's time yet!

Hope today is good for everyone.
    Anne and the Bean. xxxxxx
  • linder4866
    Teapot morning. No information was included with the photo. But it is NOT pink. 😉

ncei2isy3t7l.jpeg

❤️❤️
  • Sandydur
    Happy Monday! :) It feels very chilly here although it is 62 degrees. It is overcast and rain is expected. Maybe a good rain would stop this looters, it is so out of hand. Chicago is basically shut down with only those who live or work able to get past the national guard. The looters came into the suburbs yesterday and so much damage and deaths. It really is scary.

Just staying in today and will ride my bike later. That's it from me.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time