Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody. We invited my Cape Cod cousins for Sunday brunch today and we all truly enjoyed being together again! Then sat around the pool for awhile on this breezy perfect Sunday. They could not believe Mike has been having problems, and he was a pleasure to be with today! Wish it could remain this way; he enjoyed the visit as much as I did.
    BOB, I have always been so aware of "the other side " of the Islands, where poverty abounds, and I feel guilty enjoying myself when I see the locals with children with their distended bellies! I hope we all cherish what we have here, despite the warts and all!
    BARBIE, I hope JAKE was able to be OK in the high altitudes. Santa Fe always caused us problems, though we love New Mexico and Utah!
    ANNE, I love having gray hair (actually mine is now more white!). Just keep it shiny, and you will continue to be lovely!
    PHYLLIS, the daughter of one of my friends just returned from Egypt, and she could not stop raving about her trip! Good luck with expected baby!
    PHOEBE, I love bananas to, but my mouth waters thinking about Georgia peaches arriving soon! Hope you two are feeling better.
    MARIE, not sure what your other page referred to, but hope things will work out for the best for that family!
    Everyone, sending my love to you, and must grab a bite before evening gathering!
    <3 Buzz
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Alice came out Saturday instead of Sunday so my days are slightly off. I thought when I first woke up it was Monday. Bad enough losing an hour this morning but to lose Sunday too. ts rough getting old.

Sandy are you in town yet? miss you.
    <3<3 Marie
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Shirley – Alaska sounds awesome and someday that might be the plan. Observing eagles, humming birds & crab catching is right up our alley. Definitely eating crabs is for me (LOL). As for the weight gain that doesn’t sound too bad at all. I had assumed eating 3-4000 temporary cruise calories instead of my average 1200 would result in about roughly a pound a day – I had hoped to work out every day and did well – but only the 1st week.

Tomorrow is my 1st “official” post-cruise weigh-in that I will record for my record. Despite being very strict this past week, I’d have to imagine it will still be some kind of gain – I’ll know tomorrow.

Lin – As I mentioned on my homepage – I bought Dr Scholls Active Series Insoles, Designed for athletes and they are working better than the ones I got from the podiatrist. Been doing the usual at-home remedies and the plantar fasciitis pain has been cut in half. I rested 3 days. Dang flat feet!

I’m not the greatest on the elliptical and wish they had a rower. I cut my treadmill workout by 1/3 and still did strength exercises. Slow but sure I guess.

As for the roses: “The sharp thorn often produces delicate roses.” Ovid

Anne – This will likely tell you more than you need or want to know. LOL. For me, it effects both feet right now.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/plantar-fasciitis-topic-overview

Marie – It was a great trip and my wife would clap to hear you say my shirt was too big. She tells me all the time that I can buy a smaller size and I did buy a few. I do still have some “huge” sweats for hanging around the house in the winter. I did tell my wife to never throw out those size 60 pants – I’m saving them for the Smithsonian.

Jeri – You described my situation to a “T” – I was walking 1 hr a day too! The inserts I mentioned above supposedly “reduce shock by 40 percent, and for those with shin splints, runner's knee and plantar fasciitis, they help relieve and prevent pain. They are designed with triple-zone protection: the heel pad absorbs impact yet is very responsive, the unique arch design improves transition of weight from landing to push-off and the thick padding on the ball of the foot helps distribute pressure throughout push-off…ideal for athletes.” Not sure if they’ll help you but I was pleased. In addition to insoles, I stopped going barefoot and wore inserts all the time, iced & stretched. GOOD LUCK.

Oh well. Trying to catch up a bit on this board. More tomorrow after weigh-in and tax return work (argh).

Bob :)
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    BOB just a quick reply in the middle of cooking my oatmeal. OH MY, I read your link and how horrible for you. I seem to remember that when the UK had national service I believe it stopped one from being drafted into the military at age 18 for 2 years including my ex. Of course we 18 year olds didn't use that name! Anyway, I hope you and everyone else with it find relief.
    Hope everyone is enjoying the balmy weather who live up here. My roof was like Niagara Falls yesterday.
    Cheers, ANNE.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    I've an unexpected visit from a good friend tomorrow until Sunday so am currently sorting out the spare room and getting clean linen on the bed before going out to the shops to stock up on a few extras in the way of food. She has a bigger appetite than me and I don't want her to feel she's going hungry! It's doubtful I'll have time to visit you again until next week so wish everyone melting snows and an all round good week.

Jackie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Warmer temperatures today Hooray! Just got back from Yoga class and have to do laundry again and run some errands. My E test is done on my car so I have to get my license plate renewal sticker.

Still trying to get off this vacation weight and not having much success. I will try harder this week.

Yesterday we met friends for drinks at a local pub. It was a meeting about sailing and then they wanted to order food. This was before dinner so out came the chicken wings, coconut shrimp and chips with dip. :s I got on the scale this morning and was very frustrated. Since the weather is changing I hope to get some walks in this week and help things out a bit.

Back to normal this week. I guess Bob and I will be trying to get off our vacation weight and then keep on, keepin on!

Jackie - Have a blast with your friend and see you soon back here. Tell us all about it.

Anne - There is another MFP friend I have here who is losing her hair too, she is much younger than me maybe I should recommend more protein. I think she will be going to the doctor to find out too.

Marie - I know the time change messes everybody up for at least a week. You are not alone.

Buzz - Enjoy the family and nice to hear Mike was his old self for a while. Day by day.

Barbie - I had no doubt you kept up your steps and exercise, you are a trouper.
    I hope Jake can adjust to the altitude. I remember years back skiing out in Western Canada and having a horrible headache due to altitude. I hope he feels better soon.

Well Dave has had his birthday gone and passed already and thank you for the best wishes.
    Now his retirement is weeks away and changes will be happening too.

Shirley
    Ontario, Canada (where you can see the roads now)
  • Jacean245
    Options
    SHIRLEY - re: hair loss. My hair is back to normal now, and I'm pretty sure the loss cause was LOW PROTEIN PLUS LOW FAT. I hope this helps your friend. I didn't see a doctor, it was just instinct and being under the recommended amounts for about 6 months before I clued in.
    ANNE
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Jackie – Yes, that “smiling and laughing lady” you mention is my wife. She can be reserved – but give her a stage and she is off and running. I am lucky and I do know it. I guess it boils down to she thinks she is lucky – I know I am lucky – life is short – so don’t sweat the small stuff.

Buzz – I know what you mean about the poverty.

Interestingly, we spoke with our guide who said – “we produce nothing…tourism is everything for us…” He added: “the only thing we make is babies” and then chuckled. As a life-long resident he apparently uses humor to face reality.

My lens often finds itself focused on “the other side” as you put it – as a reminder of how fortunate we are. It amazes me that some youth will think they are impoverished because they “only” have an Apple 4 and not a 5…LOL;

My photos below are of a woman in San Juan last month and another photo I took last year on that island called Manhattan.

poster%20poverty_1%20bucket_zpsjhrmtq5f.jpg
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Foggy day here on the Oregon coast. It will burn off this afternoon. The cool dampness has me cripping around and little aches and stiffness in my joints tell me to get going! Streatch and reach and exercise. I mistakenly assume that if I am really busy during the day, it is enough. In my case, this isn't true. I need the extra effort to stay upright and walking around.

Spring is a great time for New Years resolutions, more exercise and research into better physical fitness plans.

Bob your photos were gripping! It takes a special eye to see and hear the pathos. A camera can be a powerful tool. You use it well, my friend.

Off to a good week of healthy choices. Enjoy the milder weather and spring! The weeds are out there planning an all out assault on my flower beds!
    Patsy
  • Jacean245
    Options
    There's a poem I can't quite remember BOB, something about:
    Every morn and every night
    Some are born to sweet delight.
    Every night and every morn
    Some to endless night are born.
    In the fifties and sixties I thought we as humans were finally learning but today it seems it was our golden age.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,185 Member
    Options
    All this discussion of cruises has me interested. I haven’t spoken to anyone who has not really enjoyed an Alaskan cruise. Did someone mention the best month(s) of the year to cruise Alaska? Not that it’s on my list to go but you never know right?

Bob, thanks for the information on your purchase. I wear orthopedic shoes with doctor supplied orthotics and still have foot problems. I’m way beyond flat feet. Ha. I might see if those inserts would work with my orthotics. I’m not certain there’s enough room in my shoes though. And thank you for the photos. Life is so hard for too many people.

See you in a week Jackie. Enjoy the visit!

Shirley – I did my laundry today as well. Are you still doing vacation laundry? It is so difficult to lose a pound isn’t it? Daily vigilance. The eternal struggle……

Patsy – good day to you. Sorry the damp weather is getting to your joints. The cold weather here does that to me but even when it’s warmer I seem to have arthritis. I still hear people saying Arizona is the place to be for arthritis relief. I don’t know, I’ve only visited Arizona a couple of times and didn’t have arthritis then.

Anne – good day to you. I thought of you today when my Fitbit gave me the little notice that I’d hit 10,000 steps. I’m almost at 18,000 steps now and hope to get some more this evening. I’m going to listen to a conference call and tend to walk around most of the time.

I’ve made out my grocery list for tomorrow and have several other errands. Wednesday I’ll make a trip to my dad’s house and try to get some more things cleaned out. Oh, did I mention, the Celtic guitar performance yesterday was wonderful. It is horrible that such talented people have to travel to all sorts of little tiny places with their CDs to make their living, drawing very small audience. I feel sort of guilty but I did enjoy myself and purchased several CDs.

Hugs to everyone I’ve once again missed. Healthy and happiness to you.

Lin

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

smiley-cool05.gifWe are all home safely.....we picked the pets up on the way home from the airport and we're all ecstatic to be together again. The trip was great but home is best. The early start and long trip was challenging to my step count so I went out a little while ago and walked around the block until I reached my goal. I don't think Jake wanted me to go out after dark (I walk in the dark every morning) but he didn't want me walking back and forth in the house for 30 minutes while he watched TV so he didn't complain when I went out.

:D Jake feels much better now that we are back at sea level.

smiley-happy110.gif Tomorrow I will happily go back to early morning dog walking, logging food and exercise, and unpacking.

<3 Barbie
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Well it has been beautiful out today. Being in the mid 70s has inspired me to walk today. Just noticed I have an all time high of 13310 steps today on my Fitbit and the day isn't over yet. This is a record for me. A bit more good news...had my annual blood work done and I have been holding my own since I lost my 20 lbs this past year. I had some concerns, but all of the worry was for nothing. Yay !!!!

For those that have dogs here is something to keep in the back of your mind. Our daughters dog got clipped way too short by a groomer 3 yrs ago. Out of desperation and no improvement at all she decided to rub coconut oil into her skin regularly and then put her sweater on her to keep her warm in the winter. Plus she occasionally put some in her food. Roxys long missed fur has finally grown out and she is so cute again. I am wondering if buying organic shampoo with coconut oil in it would help out those with some hair loss. How did I deal with this issue ? I buy Hair, Skin and Nail tabs from Costco. They have 5000 mg Biotin in them and what a difference this has made for me.

Bob and Jeri..... I too have dealt with Plantar Fiscitus a few years back. Very frustrating as it keep me couch bound for about a year. Numerous orthodics tried with no success until I tried Dr Scholls shoe inserts. They are the ones you buy by standing on a machine which does all of these various calculations. Once it does that he suggests a certain insert out of a possible 5 or so. I do this at Walmart. They have been my lifesaver. They are in my slippers as well as my tennis shoes. I no longer have the problem and don't ever care to go thru that again. Talk about painful !! Also freeze a bottle of water then roll your foot on it periodically. That also helped me a lot.

Thinking of everyone. Have a good evening.

Diane
  • NikonPal
    Options
    linder4866 wrote: »
    All this discussion of cruises has me interested. I haven’t spoken to anyone who has not really enjoyed an Alaskan cruise. Did someone mention the best month(s) of the year to cruise Alaska? Not that it’s on my list to go but you never know right?

Bob, thanks for the information on your purchase. I wear orthopedic shoes with doctor supplied orthotics and still have foot problems. I’m way beyond flat feet. Ha. I might see if those inserts would work with my orthotics. I’m not certain there’s enough room in my shoes though....Lin

Lin (Diane & Jeri) - Here is the link to the exact insert I purchased:

http://www.drscholls.com/productsandbrands/Products/activeseriesinsoles/index.aspx

"Helps relieve and prevent pain from...plantar fasciitis"

Can only say they have helped me a lot. Best wishes! Bob

Almost caught up on things...had a tasty breakfast (low-cal but a little sweet; guess I'm still on cruise taste buds LOL)

20150310_102236_breakfast%20calories%20146_blank_zpsmperlkd4.jpg

• NikonPal
    Options
    Jacean245 wrote: »
    There's a poem I can't quite remember BOB, something about:
    Some to endless night are born.
    In the fifties and sixties I thought we as humans were finally learning but today it seems it was our golden age.

You know I had to look this up...LOL...Thanks Anne (& William Blake) Bob :)

http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/blake/to_see_world.html
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Oh, thank you BOB, it's years since I read that!

A truth that's told with bad intent,
    Beats all the lies you can invent. ( How true. )

I wasn't too far off with my mis quote. It should read:

Some to misery are born.
    Some are born to sweet delight
    Some are born to endless night.

William Blake.

• linder4866
    Options
    3228562l87elgf560.jpg

Best wishes.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    Options
    elwxdy8n2hqd.jpg

I was sure I posted this but can't seem to find it anywhere. We had a wonderful time and will post more pictures once I get organized. Robby takes most of my time and when he sleeps it is in my office/spare bedroom so I can't get on my desktop where I have all my pictures.

Thanks for the birthday wishes Lin.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Options
    Someone posted that picture on Facebook because I have seen it........but even there I'm not sure if it was you or someone else. What a group!! :D

Lin
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Sandy. What a great picture.

Bob - thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

DIANE - I'll check out those inserts too.

I really need to do something as my darn foot is really acting up.

Cheers to all

Jeri