Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Snow yesterday with rain and snow today. Spring is dragging her feet around here. There will no gardening for quite a while.

Yoga Class this morning, picked up a few groceries, picked up my cortisone shot for my finger on Monday. Ouch! Some ironing before a fish dinner with my MIL and our friend Tom.
    I bought some yellow tulips to perk up the dining room for company for dinner on Saturday.

Talked to my daughter yesterday after her doctor apt. The head of the baby is not down yet
    so we might go a while yet. She has another apt on Tuesday. She says the baby is quite
    comfortable where he is right now and in no hurry to appear. ;) Grandma is getting anxious.

Sandy - Feel better, nothing worse than the flu. <3

Lin - Enjoy your friend and nice going on the 15,000 steps.

Bob - Nice fish fry I would minus the french fries and I don't like tartar sauce. Still looks yummy.
    I do my bike riding on a path too, just too many cars to dodge in our neighborhood. Have fun at Barnes & Noble.

Jeri - I hope you can slow down soon with all the grandkids.

Enjoy the day!

Shirley
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Sandy so sorry you are sick. I am not completely over my spell yet pain in the butt. enjoy readin everbody posting. now it is time for bed. .
    maie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,167 Member
    Options
    Nite Marie.........
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    :D Lin, can you walk around in your house while you're on your conference call?

<3 Marie, Hope you feel better soon

<3 Sandy, I hope the bedrest helps you feel better soon.

:D Bob, the fish dinner looks yummy

:'( Shirley, your part of North America seems to be dragging its feet about spring

:D Anne, my husband meditates and says it's one the best things he does for himself

<3 Jeri, I hope you can get some rest so you'll be back to your usual perky self

smiley-happy110.gif Today was another great line dance class, followed by lunch and a nap.

<3 Barbie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Yes I walk during all my calls Barbie. I am done for the evening-32000 steps today.

<3

Good nite to everyone.

Lin
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Lin: back in my teaching days there was an administrator who had meetings in places with no chairs or tables. It was a method to make the meetings short and to the point. But then there was ME... I have to have a pencil or pen to doodle while I think. It is how my brain operates. I also draw on every little piece of paper, my grocery lists, notes to my friends and family. Those meetings took on a bazaar circus look. I sat on the floor with my journal and pencils and everyone sort of walked in a circle around me. I became the meeting anchor, so to speak.

Today has been an unusual day for me. I have been out of control and hungry all day. I know what is going on, really. I need to finish up few tasks that are unpleasant for me. I need to call the eye doctor, finish up taxes, call a gallery owner that owes me money and organize my studio/art dungeon. No wonder I'm hungry. I have all these awful things hanging over my head.

We have a new flock of nondescript small back birds all over the back acreage. They have a sweet tweet but they lack colorful plumage. I worried about the fact that there really isn't much for them to eat. I scattered bird seed on the ground for them. My husband thinks I have just encouraged more mice to move into the neighborhood. Oh well, often my good intentions go wrong.

Finishing up the taxes,
    Patsy
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    PATSY, are your birds by any chance greckles on their way up north for nesting? I had a pair nest in my stove outlet vent once. Now, the outlet opening is covered in wire mesh! I put up with them until the babies grew up enough to fly away but whilst fledglings, I could hear them squawking every time the parents arrived with food. Quite a racket. I couldn't believe the amount of straw and twigs I got out of that vent once they safely flew the coop! I did wonder if you had a painting studio. I use my added on back room. I draw on everything too, and I got the cane at the age of 5 back in the bad old days at school for drawing flowers all down the edge of my text book. I thought it looked prettier that way. LOL.
    Your husband is so correct BARBIE, very relaxing. Does he try my type of meditation by placing himself mentally somewhere else, or can he manage to clear his brain of the racket? Much harder to do.
    Oh my! Fish and chips BOB, guess what, no prizes given with my background, but I LOVE fish and chips! I still have fish almost every Friday. Old habits are hard to break!
    Hi, everybody else. Pats for Honey, George, the amazing sheepdogs, Daisy, and all the other sweet dogs and cats who improve our lives.
    Cheers, ANNE.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hi all, once again, I am behind on reading the posts. I Will catch up. I do see that Sandy has been sick. a high fever, hope you are much better now.
    we are working, we get home for a night or two and always something to get done.
    leaving this morning. It looks like this will be our life at least thru most of MAY!!!! lol..

take care
    Phoebe
  • CALIECAT
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Came by to see how Sandy is doing today. Better I hope. Tis is the first time I heard of her being sick since we been posting together.and that's been a long time Get well Sandy <3

phoebe glad you are home. I know you have a lot to do. I have used up all of those Chia seeds you
    sent me and bought me a big jar at Walmart to used in my yogurt They have as much fiber as they do carbs so should be good for me.
    We are starting 4th of July Challenge the 6th of April hope I can do as well.

Here is my currant tickers
    111467.png
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,114 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Happy Saturday!! :D I am back among the living, feeling pretty good today. I might even go to Church with Babe and out to eat, but will see how I feel as the day progresses. I hardly ever get sick so it really put me down for two days, I guess getting the flu shot didn't help me unless it would have been worse without. They took Robby to the doctor and she said he has a new virus but no pneumonia or infections so he doesn't need any medicine.
    So hopefully we are all on the way to recovery. :D

Marie, thanks for your sweet concern, I am better and hope to get back into the swing of things. I have the next week off so I should get plenty of rest. I booked my trip for Florida in May so I have that to look forward.

Phoebe, how is our little girl Honey? Is she traveling with you?
    Anne, whenever I hear the expression chips and fish I automatically think of England. Your chips our our french fries I think.
    Patsy, funny story about sitting on the floor, all creative people are odd aren't they? (just kidding)
    Barbie, bed rest did its job, I have done a lot of resting and it paid off, today is a good day.
    Lin, you are so busy I really wish you would take time and just rest for a day or two.
    Shirley, when is the baby's actual due date?
    Bob, you have got your menu down pat, you know what you can eat and can't eat.

Trying to catch up on all that I missed so will be back tomorrow.
    Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Glad you are better Sandy. I Guess it wasn't the dreaded virus after all which lasted 2 to 3 weeks. Pleased little Robby is going to be okay as well. I think we in the UK call chips, chips, because they LOOK like chips of something, think wood chips. Whereas French fries are those skinny little things beloved by the French, originally, I presume. What are called chips over here and come cold in packets are known in the UK as bags of crisps. Which also makes sense as well for they ARE crispy. Isn't language and its usage fascinating!
    PATSY'S floor sitting WAS funny, but it would have been even funnier if everyone had joined her and left the administrator standing in the middle of them! Teach him/her a lesson in not providing chairs, and worse, NO DONUTS! Unthinkable in the large office I worked in. It would have been mutiny at the least and definitely deserving of a walk out. LOL's.
    Happily retired and sitting on my old comfy sofa, ANNE.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Shirley – The fish was delicious. Glad I only read your “French fries” comment now…too late (LOL); I did skip the roll…I still had lots of calories left at the end of the day….thank goodness there was no “from scratch” ingredient cake at home. I was craving it – but haven’t had any in so long it’s sort of a “fond memory.” Hope the fish with your MIL was good. I enjoyed Barnes & Noble but couldn’t stay as long as I wanted – had to pick up my FIL.

Barbie – All I can say is:

https://youtu.be/9yw6T83Zl-0

Lin – I’d have a hard time walkin’ and talkin’. Mainly because I rarely talk on the phone and when I do it’s pretty short. My wife on the other hand, can iron, talk with her bff and watch The Voice all at the same time…LOL

Patsy – So you were “out of control and hungry all day” because of your “to-do” list….makes sense to me. So did the devil on your shoulder win?

Anne – I’m the same way. I skipped fried fish for the first 100 lb loss and then I added it back in – allowing for it a couple Fridays a month. I never called it “cheating” because it is always a calculated meal and I have never gone over my set calories. At home, I do baked halibut / haddock. Under normal circumstances my life has been 99% fish on Fridays…can’t get rid of that old Catholic thing. LOL

Marie – A woman after my own heart – already thinking about that 4th of July Challenge. When it comes to goals, I normally need to plan things out in advance with a start date. “Decades” ago I quit smoking but had set a specific date of March 15th to quit – 2 months earlier. That morning I woke up & threw away the ½ pack I had and never inhaled again. When I started calorie-counting – it was the same thing and selected a date 1-2 weeks out. Hope all is well with you!

Sandy – Welcome back among the living! I thought you every time I saw an ad for the TV series The Walking Dead..just kidding! Glad Robby didn’t have pneumonia or an infection. Have a great afternoon and get back to 1000% soon!

This morning –

Jumped on the scale (just to monitor) – showed a loss of .02, so at least I know I am on track still.

Hit the gym and burned 329 calories doing 60 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Walking treadmill gym 3.2. mph – I had wanted to do the recumbent bike but all were in use – it is Saturday and the weekend warriors were out in force :o So I did my weight routine instead.

Got a morning text that my niece’s husband died at 4:45am today. He was only 38 yrs old. He had been battling for a long time (had a bone marrow transplant in Seattle about 12 yrs ago when he was near death). They have 4 children, so it will be a huge adjustment.

Another reason to be thankful for each day we are blessed with.

I think there is some truth to the saying: “If you start the day reading the obituaries, you live your day a little differently.”

On that happy note (LOL) – enjoy the afternoon! Bob :)
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    A cool and wet day again so apart from a long walk in the woods with George where we both managed to get soaked and generally mucky, I've not been outside but instead caught up on the phone with friends and then started to prepare my sitting room for some fresh coats of paint before ordering new carpet. It's now evening, the fire is glowing and animals curled up snoozing.

Well done BOB, my granny was always telling us "everything in moderation" so there's certainly nothing wrong with Friday fish and chips when you're checking calories, especially for a good catholic boy! In the past week I eat 2 of my favourite flapjacks as well as a plate of fish and chips and still managed to lose 2 lbs by Friday. So sorry to read that your niece's husband passed away, especially if it's left 4 children without their dad.

SANDY ~ Delighted to read you're feeling better and also getting a break next week. I know you love to do all you can for your family but you need to ensure you don't wear yourself out!

Anne ~ Did you see any news coverage of Richard III's funeral on Thursday? I was amused to hear some people questioning why the queen wasn't there as they seemed to miss the point that if he'd survived as king the Windsors wouldn't be on the throne now!! LOL

I'm now going to watch Bob's line dancing video and then settle down to read my book before bed.

Jackie

• Jacean245
    Options
    Hi JACKIE, yes a little of the funeral was shown on the news. They mentioned "some royals" attended, but not who! Nor did they show the "some royals." I'm sorry, for I don't know how YOU feel, but somehow I feel poor Richard was much maligned. It was said Shakespeare was given or forced into this bad publicity task by the Tudors as I'm sure you know. Anyway, on to today's world. A new paint job and a new carpet! How lovely! You'll have to watch George and his love of muddy river banks though!
    I managed to lose the weight whilst still having my FRIED fish and chips BOB, and to be honest, like Richard, it's much maligned, because I don't remember ANYONE being overweight when I was a kiddie winkie, despite our weekly plate of battered haddock, it's a modern phenomenon this weight problem. I lived near a North sea trawler town in the UK so fish was cheap and plentiful in those days.
    Terrible news about your nieces young husband. So very sorry BOB.
    ANNE.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    :D Lin, walking during your conference call is great....do you participate or just listen?

:D Bob, I fix a lot of fried fish at home, but no "chips".....Jake orders fish and chips in restaurants. Great video and dance....too many turns for my beginner class.

:D Sandy, it's good to see you up and doing your usual stuff again.....bed rest is amazing

:D Anne, Jake's meditation is based on his Zen training.....he has a cushion in one of the small bedrooms....today he meditated all morning with a group.

<3 Barbie

• Jacean245
    Options
    BARBIE, how interesting, your comment to me. I'm afraid the little knowledge I possess is all gleaned from books. Anything I've tried is done all by myself. However, we are never, ever to old to learn. Zazen, "sitting meditation",? I will read up on it again, tomorrow. For now, goodnight. ANNE.
  • linder4866
    Options
    A different sort of day for me today in some respects. It was a cooking day---baked sweet potatoes, made beans, then red sprouted rice, and flaxseed crackers. I’d made the lentil chili a couple of days ago----add in all the greens and veggies and I will be eating leftovers for many days. But that’s my plan. Cook once, eat many times. While cooking I also did a couple loads of laundry. Then I participated in an online meeting and it was a bit taxing for me because I *couldn’t* get up and move around and still participate. My body says the big step count from yesterday will not be repeated for a while! Only 16,000+ today. But I also read a book for a while and took a short nap.

Barbie – I walk during all my calls. I make business calls and walk while I talk. Many of the conference calls I’m on are non-participatory, I just listen. Others provide an opportunity to participate but I choose to just listen. I also play many nutrition and health videos/audios on YouTube through the Roku box on my TV so I can just walk around and let those play. Lots of learning and lots of walking! When I am cooking, I am on my feet a lot but not walking around as much as I prepare the food. I had a series of classes on what they called guided imagery and much earlier informally read about meditation. I am sticking with it but only feel short periods of time that my mind releases its squirrel running in a cage activity.

Patsy – you are a rebel aren’t you? Love it. Sitting in the midst of the meeting. That’s just the kind of thinking that the corporation I worked for would have detested. Good for you! I hope some of the dreaded tasks are now off your list.

Bob – I could watch the line dancing but couldn’t hear the music. Looked like fun! I am glad you enjoy your treats. You’ve found your path and stick to it in a very determined manner. Excellent.

Jackie – I hope you get some rest. Good to hear from you.

Sandy – glad you are feeling better. Thank goodness. Did you go to church? Tomorrow is a big day at our church, Palm Sunday, then an Easter party for the children immediately after church and tomorrow evening a congregational potluck. I’m still doing communion prep/clean up so I would imagine I’ll be making up more than usual.

Anne – good for you on losing your weight and not giving up anything that you feel is healthful for your health and well-being.

Marie – hello my friend. Glad you found some chia seed. I love both chia seed and flaxseed as additions to things that I make.

Phoebe – be safe. You are so busy. Hope Honey is feeling okay.

Jeri – how is your weekend going?

I think I have my Fitbit charged now and I need to take a shower. Good night. I may not be back tomorrow. Hope to see you soon.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good morning sneakers. We've had some strong gales blowing the cobwebs away as well as nearly knocking me over a few times during my morning walk as I held on tight to George's lead so he didn't take off like Mary Poppins! I won't be going far until it calms down outside so no excuses not to get on with decorating although having sat up until 1 am watching a movie before then having to move clocks forward an hour for our Springtime I'm a little weary today...serves me right!

Anne ~ The rather expensive carpet I've picked out is man made rather than wool so can be cleaned easily and apparently will even survive bleach although hopefully that won't be needed now George's house training has worked! My thinking is that it should see me out rather than buy cheaper and have to replace again in a few years, not that I plan to go anywhere yet but you know what I mean! The royals sent Sophie, Countess of Wessex (Edward's wife) to Richard's funeral and as far as I'm aware that was it! I think you'll be interested to read this link

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/dec/02/king-richard-iii-dna-cousins-queen-ancestry

which I think confirms a lot of negative propaganda was spread at the time, even changing his looks, probably because the Tudors weren't too popular so did their best to persuade the people they were the better option! It's all fascinating to me and we're told there are more revelations to come!

Lin ~ Don't worry, I don't ever work too hard these days as I feel retirement is to be enjoyed. It's more a case of me thinking I can do a better job than so-called professionals coming in to slap paint on my walls! LOL The first time I viewed BOB's line dancing video I couldn't hear the music either but then noticed the volume next to the run/pause box was turned right down so moved it up. If only I could move in such an agile way although I am improving since walking George daily.

Lunchtime for me so cottage cheese and pineapple need to be prepared.... well placed on a plate at least! LOL

Have a peaceful Sunday.
    Jackie

• Jacean245
    Options
    JACKIE, thank you so very much!!! I've started reading and watching the video over breakfast, but it is so interesting that I am now going to leave it and return to it this afternoon when I can really get my teeth into it. By the way, I've got blue grey eyes and light brown hair, as does everybody on my dads side, but then, so does half of Britain, LOL! However......... Move over Windsor's! Should my eldest be sitting in Buck Palace? (To the tower with her).) I also have a what you might call, medieval surname. Anyway, daydreaming apart, it is most interesting, and the funny thing is, even as a child and reading all the history I had a secret sympathy for Richard.
    Can't wait for this afternoon! Thanks again, indebted to you,
    ANNE. ❤️ <3
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    HI you all
    Jackie think I will have cottage cheese and fruit tis morning. Sounds pretty good.
    Sandy hope you and Robby is up to par this morning.
    Bob will have to come back to watch your vidios Not got time now.
    Time for breakfast and get ready for an outing with Alice today.
    I think we are going for a high of 84 today. Spring is here in Texas,. Been a long winter and glad it is over with.
    Be kind to yourself.
    Marie