Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    That was so sad JACKIE, the murder of the 69 year old MP and by a 25 year old suspect. Apparently he had held his parliamentary seat since the 1980s.

Good for the Queen. She should talk a little louder! when in a private conversation.

I am confined behind the glass door which leads down the 4 steps to the back door just in case me and Bean become entangled in her leash. Mark thinks the new stairs will be installed in two days and then he will tackle the top four stairs and landing before painting the lot. THEN, just so I don't get complacent he's talking of renovating the 1950s bathroom, ripping the bath and toilet out and installing a big walk in shower with the luxury of a seat.

Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,204 Member
    Options
    Wow Anne! Yes, steps are gone!! Is there a door to close and lock so there would be no chance of taking a bad step? You and Jilly need to be safe. Any idea when the new stairs will be installed? And now, what are you doing for your birthday this afternoon? I spoke with a friend today and she told me she received a lovely bouquet of flowers from her nieces and nephews for her recent birthday she just loves them. Not something I would want personally but it is lovely that she received something she likes. She bought herself a birthday gift, actually her son picked it up, a big fancy bottle of gin! 😂

Jackie, I was shocked to hear of the stabbing but thought perhaps he would recover. Very sad that he died. It does get dark quite early doesn’t it? And it doesn’t get light very early either. My deck is in total shade so much earlier than during the summer months. But no plants now, so not a problem. I hope George and Betty are doing well.

Hello Sandy and Patsy, sorry if I missed any posts! I will blame MFP!

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

I like the beehive teapot.
    zodlllsoitj1.jpeg

• Annsie35
    edited October 2021
    Options
    ayo9twdku0q2.jpeg
    We are confined behind this door. I think Mark changed his shoes and didn't actually fall out of them. Must go check!
  • linder4866
    Options
    Oooh, love that door Anne!
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    So do I love the door Anne…Art Deco? Love your honey pot teapot as well Lin. Both pooches fine thanks and George in particular is so happy to have his home back he does zoomies from room to room!

I’ve walked in thick fog with George and Betty then made the most of my rude neighbours being out to tidy that side of my garden ready to invite quotes for fencing and trellis. I can’t remember if I mentioned a call from Chrissie yesterday asking me to walk Bella again. I rearranged my day then phoned when I got back from our foggy walk to say I would be there at 11am. That’s no good she said because friends are visiting and someone else delivering logs so I’m now sorting my afternoon to fit it in. To be honest I think it was a crazy idea of hers to adopt Bella when she can’t get about but keeping Schtum!

No surprises about the murderer of Sir David I’m afraid. Another innocent life lost to an extremist. Lovely photos of Sir David appearing cuddling dogs as he was a supporter of animal rights.

I’m finishing a snack lunch then I’ll measure the length of garden requiring the trellis.

Happy Saturday ladies (we seem to have lost Bob to the opening up of lockdown!). Sandy quiet too but probably busy with the kiddos.

Jackie 🥰
  • Annsie35
    Options
    I thought Chrissie nuts as well JACKIE and I fear you might be asked to take poor Bella in eventually.
    Mikes on his way home from Quebec in a pouring downpour. I think he's nuts as well when tomorrow should be a much nicer day.
    Lastly, Janice stopped by dog walking a neighbours dog to chat to Mary Jo and myself. She's a very strong opinionated lady and she was going on and on about the vaccinations being a scam that the doctors have been told to keep mum about. Turns out she and her family have declined to be vaccinated at which point Mary Jo and me rapidly stepped back further away from her.
    And the last nut cases? I could hear hammering going on but ignored after checking our side windows and concluding it was coming from the street at the back of us. Mark rolls up and finds two men on our garage roof wielding crow bars and taking off tiles on the garden shed of the house behind us. Mark asks them to immediately stop as they are using our roof as a leverage for their crow bars and damaging our tiles. The two men jump over to the shed roof yelling at Mark that he's no need to get so uppity about this. Whats wrong with HIM! It seems these days no one respects other people and their property anymore! Or me being a single old lady perfect to take advantage of, sigh.
    Sermon of the day over!
    Sir Davids Murder has upset me no end. Britain has to stop all this immigration and that goes for us here and the whole of Europe. I think it is going to take very extreme measures though to make our countries undesirable. Its really war and invasion isn't it.
    Ah well, must get on with my peaceful rainy day,
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Respect and consideration is flying out the window Anne and I’m sure you’re right that it doesn’t pay to be an older woman on her own. Chrissie has a garage on the opposite side of her road but she parks on her drive outside her cottage. She tells me to park in front of her garage but more often than not someone with a large pickup truck is there, probably assuming she can’t see him!

A sign Mike couldn’t wait to leave and come home?

I’m off to walk poor Bella that I’m feeling more sorry for than I do Chrissie!!
    Here’s a gentle Autumnal photo taken on this morning’s walk.
    89vqjmxkcyjs.jpeg

Jackie

• linder4866
    Options
    I am in an online class today. We are on a 5 minute break so thought I would say hello!

Hope to be back later.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,142 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Feeling much better today, yesterday was a long day without much sleep Thursday night. I made up for it last night and feel great. I did go for my flu shot on Thursday but so far no side effects, thank goodness. (the lost sleep was my own doing)
    I couldn't get my shingles shot at Walgreens as my prescription card isn't honored by them so I will have to go to CVS to see if I can get it covered by them. A zoom call with family this afternoon and I am thinking of returning to my church for in person mass this afternoon just to see how crowded and how they handle things. I don't want to start bringing Joe to mass until I check things out and get his family's approval. Tomorrow I am going with Lisa and kiddos to Abby Farms which is a farm with lots of activities for kids plus a maze. They even have a zip line but of course very low to the ground and just a short distance. Robby starts a new school on Tuesday which should help him adjust to mainstream school without incidence. If you pray, please pray this works for him. <3

Jackie, I love your newly decorated cottage from bookcase to chairs and just all of it. I am glad George is zooming around again and feels he finally has his home back. As far as Bella, I am inclined to agree with Anne and you may inherit a new fur child.

Anne, I also love your door, it is beautiful. I just can't listen to people who won't get vaccinated, they are just too annoying with their excuses for not getting one. And what the heck are those men doing on your roof fixing someone else's roof? If anything they could have asked for permission but I am glad Mark told them to leave.
    Poor Mike driving in rain, he must really want to come home.

Lin, have you ever considered selling your cards on Itsy or somewhere? You spend so much time making things perfect you could probably sell them as a set with different occasions. Just a thought.

Patsy, are you preparing for Damon, is he coming this weekend?

Have a good day everyone and remember to keep staying safe.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello dear sneakers! It is cloudy and cold right now but sun maybe a bit later. We are still considered in a drought condition. So I can’t complain about some rain.

Today I continue to decorate for fall/Halloween/thanksgiving. I would love to get a big pot of colorful mums. So far I haven’t seen any that tempts me. I have changed dinning room placemats to ones that have fall leaves and red apples in the design. Also Battery candles and a empty spot on the the dining table waiting for that pot of mums.

Our leaves are turning now. The vine maple is showing off…bright orange and red leaves. If I ever see them, I would get a string of those tiny fairy lights to drape around a little arrangement I am putting together with one of my glass pumpkins. It cheers me up and John really likes seeing the decor as well.

Damon must isolate one more week, he tested this week and so far all is well. I become hostile and very impatient with those insane people who refuse to get vaccinated. At this point I have abandoned all efforts to try to reason with them or understand their concerns. I guess the virus will eventually thin that herd. I know! That’s a terrible thing to say! But their choice impacts many other people who are trying to do the responsible thing. Rant over now.

Anne: Mark is doing a great job. I could not picture your house layout until you showed us photos. You do have lots of stairs. No wonder you are fit and trim. I would still be wanting all the safeguards and ways to make things easier. Why not? If it makes life easier and reduces any risks, it is money in the bank! That beautiful glass door is a real decorator piece. Lovely!

Jackie: your plan to camouflage your evil neighbor and improve your view is going to be beautiful. Well done my friend. Now seriously, about dear sad little Bella…does she fit into your life? Do you think George and Betty would accept her? Maybe Chrissie just felt the need to take Bella because there were no offers to adopt her.

Sandy: glad you got some rest. Being a substitute mom is exhausting. Prayers are being said for Robby. He does have a loving family and much activities to enrich his life. He will be fine.

Lin: enjoy you creative time and your class. What fun! I think the classes just jump start your creative thinking and help you roll up your sleeves for more projects.

Patsy☘️

• linder4866
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Good afternoon. I am waiting for an email from today’s class instructor. She did not provide any information before the class on what we would be doing and during the class she kept covering her designs with other paper and she would say what she was cutting and then she would say, no that’s not right, I meant…. Her first time teaching a big class.

Went back to try to sort through the comments to see the actual numbers involved that were posted by the event sponsor but all comments are missing. I can wait. I am interested in something called a book fold. I will try some when I receive the information. Several others I believe I do know how to make, a Z-fold and an easel card. Hers were a bit different.

Anyway, lots of ideas to use in the future.

I did awake up today with some sinus issues and swollen lymph nodes in my throat. I wonder what attacked! I am going to make another big mug of tea and just read this evening.

Jackie, I am sorry that the placement for dear Bella is not working out well. I hope she does not have to find yet another home. Poor pup. You are a really wonderful friend to continue to help out. Thanks for the happy photo. It is very nice.

Anne, my gosh, how dare these thugs damage your property. I am glad Mark was there to stop them today. I hope they stay off your property. And good for you keeping a good distance from the unvaccinated. I hope Mike is home.

Sandy, oh boy, going to Mass in person. Let us know how it works out. I still do not feel like going to church in person. Oh, a gal from our church got married in a beautiful venue about 30 miles out of town this afternoon. A friend posted loads of photos and a few videos. It was just a beautiful wedding and so nicely decorated. The bride planned for more than a year. Everything looked pretty much perfect. How do people have these things turn out so well?

Patsy, I am sorry Damon must continue to quarantine. It seems that people here don’t quarantine for very long at all. He must be doing things properly. Oooh, Patsy, your arrangement sounds quite appealing. I hope you can find a mum.

Off to grab my mug of tea.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Hand painted glass teapot and cups
    kg7yce2j2zk0.jpeg

• Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Going to Abby Farm for the day and hope it warms up because it is only 45 degrees right now.
    It is supposed to get to middle 60's so it should be a beautiful day. I enjoyed going in person to Mass yesterday and although there were a lot of people everyone is six feet apart. I think I will be going in person from now on and if Joe's family agrees I will take him with me and get something to eat after. That will mean no more Saturday night movie night but I know Lisa will understand especially with all the extra sitting I am doing while her parents are in Florida.

Have a great day and stay safe.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Hello and happy Sunday!
    Another lovely walk first thing and both pooches enjoyed running about. On our way back to the car George decided to pause for one of his Zen meditations, tail down and staring across the moors, funny boy!
    mjoumrfgtn7r.jpeg

Next to the car, As I rubbed a towel over George’s wet tummy, his groomer with her mother pulled up alongside and I greeted them with “hello, it’s the jigsaw queens” after I was messaged yesterday to proudly tell me they completed a jigsaw I passed on to them in an hour and a half! It was the first time since our first lockdown Debbie’s mum had got out because she is in her 90’s and has a few health issues so she was so happy to take a short walk after meeting George and Betty.

This afternoon I finished weeding and clearing the side of my garden that will be fenced and measurements tell me I’ll need 15 meters of trellis. As I weeded a clanging noise drew my attention to my neighbour attaching a tin roof to his ever changing patio area… wow, hot in the summer but noisy when it rains which did make me smile but I’ll feel happier when my fence is constructed.

Another dog in my home isn’t possible because it’s small and if I did adopt again I would prefer another older cat. Sad for Bella but I think it would be a long time before Chrissie admitted she can’t cope, if ever. She gets a lot of help from friends whether it’s shopping or bringing logs into her cottage so I expect Bella will be added to that list. Debbie groomer bathed and trimmed her nails a few weeks ago and mentioned today she didn’t understand how someone as disabled as Chrissie is was offered a 2 year old dog. Unfortunately most of the organisations that import foreign dogs are in it for the money! Bella has had to be treated for parasites we don’t see in England since arriving and a vet has mentioned she will probably suffer allergies because our green rolling hills are the opposite to Romanian dust! Yesterday’s walk wasn’t very successful because when I arrived logs were still being arranged in her garage so she was waiting outside with Bella but when I tried to walk away with her she kept pulling back expecting Chrissie to come with us. I persevered until we got to an area she usually does her toilet then, having done that she turned and pulled back home. No point forcing her so back we went!

Sandy, I’m so pleased for you that mass turned out to be successful because I know how much you were missing it. Enjoy your trip to the farm.

Anne, I do hope Mike is home safely and perhaps you can cook him a gluten free Sunday lunch? I was reading earlier how Russia just hit 1,000 daily Covid deaths because so many won’t get vaccinated, mind you if I lived in that country I wouldn’t believe anything Mr P told me either!!

That’s the prettiest hand painted tea set Lin. Oh dear, that class didn’t sound too successful so well done for hanging in there! Have you shaken off that bug thing? Feeling better today I hope.

Naughty Patsy but your comment about the non vaccinated did make me smile because it’s exactly what I often think!

Oops, nearly 6pm and the hens haven’t had their afternoon scoop of corn. I’ll go and see if they have gone to bed as the clouds are gathering and temperature falling.

Take care dear friends.
    Jackie🥰
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Mikes exhausted after driving all the way from Quebec non stop for 7 hours
    Mark is exhausted from fitting the new stairs etc and working until it got dark
    Mary Jo exhausted from sweeping and clearing up after Mark
    Me and Bean exhausted watching all this activity.
    See you tomorrow,
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Good afternoon. Church is over and I have had my lunch. Since it is kind of cold, I stirred up some leftover cooked beans with some sauce and spices and baked them for about an hour. They were quite tasty! Earlier I mixed up a batch of gluten free, vegan, no oil, no salt, no sugar cornbread. Well, it is edible, especially when crumbled up with the cooked beans, 😂, not quite edible solo!

Jackie, George looks so distinguished standing on that rock. I love your Zen dog. Wow, you accomplished a lot in your garden today. Do you have someone who will install the new fence/trellis? So nice of your neighbor to install something noisy. I hope you don’t hear it! What an interesting (🤪) person.

Anne, my gosh, everyone has had enough and needs to rest up. I hope you and your dear Bean find something interesting to watch, or a book to read, or a NAP! Rest up.

Sandy, it has warmed up a bit here but not a lot. I hope you are staying warm and enjoying the day. Also glad that mass worked out well. If my church followed protocols, I might attend but they are without rules.

Patsy, good day. I don’t see a post from you but again, I never know with MFP. It might pop up tomorrow and I will wonder, why didn’t I see that before?

Need to get back to chores! I do have the online banking completed but that’s about it.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Look at all of these teapots!
    qe23dwgbcj1d.jpeg

And here’s one of the little 2022 calendars I made for my friends.

oy1bq2ljg475.jpeg

• Sandydur
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) Not much time as we are taking our friend out for breakfast for her 87th birthday. We had a wonderful time with the kiddos yesterday although I was exhausted when I got home. Kept dozing off while trying to watch TV. It is another very cool morning but going up to 70 later. BTW, weather was beautiful for the farm.

Lin, that is a lot of teapots but a great collection. I love the calendars you made for your friends, just beautiful. Yes, I was very happy with the protocols at my Church.

Anne, put me on the list of exhausted. lol

Jackie, I agree, three dogs might be too much in your small cottage. Besides you have enough with two dogs and a cat. I won't tell Brady you are thinking of another cat so he doesn't get upset. Are you putting up the fence or is your neighbor? Love the picture of George in his Zen mood.

Patsy, hope all is well with you and you had phone conversations with your kids.

Time to shower and get ready.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• pinkperil
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Back to murky, wet weather although still very mild. Only a walk round the block first thing and even then the pooches were so wet they were happy to head home for a brisk rub down.
    Once coffee was consumed I moved furniture round in the snug so I didn’t end up with a crick in my neck watching tv and am pleased I did because it’s become even more cosy. I was going to wipe Danish oil on the staircase where it’s become a bit tired after builders, me and the dogs treading in the dust that hung everywhere a few months ago but after a long phone call and an old episode of Escape to the Country, I decided to take the rest of the day off! Oil and carpet strips will go on tomorrow. 🙃

Patsy, Chrissie did her best to adopt from a UK shelter but couldn’t pass a check because of her health so, knowing foreign shelters don’t particularly care she approached one in Romania. She did ask for a middle aged dog but I doubt that request got much attention! She has always had a pet dog and I expect was feeling lonely, although she gets lots of visitors.

Lin, that’s a wonderful teapot collection and I picked out Betty and George but no Brady pot, in fact no cats full stop!
    I will find a professional to erect my fence and trellis because it will need to stand up to the strong south westerlies that blow from right to left. Perhaps I’ll find a tin roof amongst tree branches after just such a storm! It’s looking more and more like a pub beer garden so all the more reason to shield my view. 😠
    Something like this!
    obd4wsdb4jho.png

Your corn bread was unique but I’m wondering how you bound it together, or perhaps you didn’t?

Sandy, your weather sounds perfect and I hope today’s breakfast was good fun.
    Haha, most times Brady thinks he’s a dog so will probably welcome a new kitty and not recognise himself in it! 😆😅

Has everyone recovered their mojo Anne?

The clouds haven’t lifted all day but having just fed the hens their afternoon corn I’ve noticed the rain has stopped for now. Half five already so time to prepare a pasta and salad evening meal.

Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hello, and good afternoon. I got started on some laundry early this morning and a bit of bathroom cleaning as the handyman was coming back to try to fix a problem with the towel rack in my spare upstairs bathroom. I was cooking some oatmeal as he arrived and did his best to fix it up then I was off to the post office. Home again to chop down invasive things growing up through my deck. They have really matured and I couldn’t get through the woody stems. Did a bit though, which helped. Put away the laundry, had some lunch and then off to the library. I took a bag of books to donate to their sale.

Now it’s time to gather up bits and pieces for tomorrow morning’s trash collection so I had better not sit too long.

Sandy, I hope you had a good time with your friends as you celebrated a friend’s birthday. That makes me hungry for a waffle! Also glad you had a good time yesterday. It is warmer here this afternoon. Wow! 77 right now. Sitting with the kids tomorrow? I have lost track.

Jackie, you have much better eyes than me. I looked at those teapots and thought I saw a George but missed a Betty altogether. The only cat I saw was a Tiger I believe. Not a Brady I hope. 😂 That is a gorgeous fence. I hope you are able to purchase the materials and are able to find someone to get that installed ASAP. No need to see those oddballs next door. Glad you are taking a bit of time off. What kind of pasta did you make today? As to the cornbread, it was corn meal, oat flour, soy milk clabbered with Apple cider vinegar, baking powder, applesauce, and a bit of date sugar. I think that was it. I believe I was to add a bit of salt but couldn’t find it. 😁

Hello Anne and Patsy.

Did you two run off somewhere?

Back to work.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

This was said to be a tea set but I think it is a coffee set. I like it.
    ag2mqezfdtmi.jpeg
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Oh drat! I have lost two big posts! To make matters worse, it is undoubtedly user error! I keep forgetting to hit that post reply space. Well, actually I have very little earthshaking news, just chatting with you all, my dearest friends.

Our weather is partly sunny, mostly cloudy and very chilly. Sweater weather. Katie loves to lie dangerously close to the space heater and at times really fear she will catch on fire. I have to turn off the heater to save her from herself.

Damon comes this weekend. Yea! He tested negative and retested 36 hours later. These are home tests bought at Walgreens. Two in a box. We will have that belated birthday celebration. It would be great if Andrea could come. She unfortunately seems to be in one her episodes. Depression is a horrible thing. It affects her whole family. I pray for her constantly.

I ordered 3 tops from Amazon and what a terrible disappointment. Expensive, poorly made, poor quality fabric, ill fitting and incorrect sizing. I will quit being so lazy and start sewing again. I have a modern sewing machine and a good serger. I know how to sew and even design clothes. What was I thinking?

Lin: your calendar was beautiful. Was that embossing I see? Wonderful! I was almost dizzy just looking at that huge collection of teapots. In my house I see that a dust and dog hair magnet. But beautiful and attractively displayed.

Jackie: oh my yes! That would be a perfect fence for your garden. Attractive, organically offering privacy and a sound barrier for screening off the next door chaos.

Anne: get some rest, construction projects are exhausting physically and mentally. Just ask Jackie…..
    But so exciting and rewarding when accomplished.
    Patsy☘️
  • Annsie35
    Options
    PATSY, is it Johns birthday today? If so HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR JOHN, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU and if it isn't, well have a HAPPY UNBIRTHDAY DEAR JOHN!. That means he's a libra like me?

The stairs are down which means I crept gingerly down to wash.

Now for my bit of medical news. Something which should have dawned on me, but me being thick didn't. I've thought for sometime I have an allergy to wheat, uh uh, no its a yeast intolerance which is a bit rarer. When I was a kid all us school kids were given a teaspoon of a sweet malt extract provided by the government to supplement poor diet. I was the only kid who broke into hives after having my daily dose with quick trips to the bathroom thrown in. Of course I was banned from having it much to my grief because it was so good and candy was gone. Forgot all about it until recently. At last I now know why booze is a no no for me especially wine which gives me migraines. I realize now my Mom had this intolerance as well, in those days she called it a bilious attack. Got it from HER dad.

Anyway, yesterday I made savoury scones from normal flour with absolutely no ill effects overnight whatsoever.

OK Patsy, how do you make your Grans Irish soda bread which is recommended.
    I guess I will have to look into unleavened bread as well.
    A new challenge to add to the general upheaval here!

Which means I have to get on but loved all the teapots, fences, zen doggies etc. Gotta love you gals and all your many interests.

Anne.