Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Lin, I am so sorry about your friend, losing someone is so hard for the living. I miss my brother everyday. Take care my friend and know we are thinking of you.
    Sandy
  • Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had puffy Yorkshire pudding as a dessert JACKIE? It's like eating crunchy pancakes. yummy.
    Marks just shown up with a load of wood he bought earlier. I guess peace will be shattered next week. A lady was picking fallen apples on our lawn as he drove up. Didn't think any were left.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Anne, I know it often happens to your apples but I still find it unbelievable that people take them off your property without first asking…. Not at all Canadian!
    I haven’t tried Yorkshire puddings as a dessert although sometimes my Shrove Tuesday pancakes could be described as puffy and crunchy! When Pat returned home from her visit to me she made Yorkshire puds using a tv chef’s recipe she had described to me that sounded more like cake and sent me this photo
    x5ciopr842be.jpeg
    She admitted they sat up all crunchy when they first came out of the oven but quickly collapsed and turned soft!

I’ve just finished watching a documentary about paranormal happenings in Bodmin jail, not far from here, and now have to go to bed without getting scared Violet will jump out and shout “BOO!”

Jackie 😴
  • Annsie35
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Morning all. JACKIE I would say mine are much higher and more a golden brown. A true Yorkshire pudding must rise to at least 4 inches in height. Anyway I'm getting quite innovative but probably shooting up in weight! Mike couldn't get over to visit yesterday so I made his pudding batter into three pancakes for brekkie just now and I'm still smacking my lips. Very Canadian with maple syrup. The secret to Yorkshire pudding is to beat the batter for at least 3 minutes, let stand for 20 minutes then beat again.
    As a child I was terrified of the second landing in our old victorian house which was lit by gaslight. Used to gallop past that corner at top speed. It didn't help that sometimes Judy our dog stared up those stairs like George in his zen mode, hair on end. I was told not to be daft and never taken to bed once I was old enough to walk. and gallop. Just saying.
    Tha never knows!

Well now you all know the secret to Yorkshire puddings and how you should avoid buying Victorian houses I'm off for my shower on a cold and frosty morning.

Anne.

PS Mark came over to pick the last of the fallen apples and rake the leaves from next doors oak tree into a hue pile for the leaf suction truck to trundle past sometime.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Good morning and happy Monday.

A sunshine and showers day but we’ve walked for an hour on the moors and would have returned home dry if George hadn’t insisted on staring into the distance just as my car was in sight. I walked back to where he stood to have my own stare but couldn’t see anything untoward, just a hefty rain cloud heading in our direction that caught up with us as I put the car away. Chrissie phoned in the middle of our walk to ask if I could walk Bella tomorrow and I agreed I’ll visit late afternoon once I’ve had my booster, done some grocery shopping and taken George and Betty out after lunch.
    Nothing more or less than housework today which is still a novelty after months of builders and their mess. Enjoy Mark’s company Anne and watching the new creations will being born!
    Patsy, I do hope the nasty west coast storms I read about aren’t anywhere close by even if you do need rain. Someone needs to chat to Mother Nature about these extremes!

Stay safe everyone.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Agree PATSY, stay safe! but I think someone needs to talk to human "leaders" rather than poor old Mother Nature who is under siege! Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Monday! The rain and chill continues, it is very windy as well. I am staying in again today and Lisa told me yesterday I do not have to sit tomorrow as they feel they are overworking me. Not sure what I will do with all this free time but I am not complaining. I will be sitting Wednesday and all day Saturday. I will bring their Halloween gifts to them on Saturday so they can trick or treat with mom on Sunday.

Jackie, no wonder you are losing weight with all this dog walking. I really wish I loved to walk but I don't, it hurts my back if done too long. I am at least glad I have the recumbent bike for some exercise. Chrissie is lucky to have you for a friend but even more so Bella.

Anne, your Yorkshire pudding sounds delicious but I am not a pudding person although yours sounds more like a souffle which I do like. Spooky old houses are not my cup of tea especially after watching so many scary movies with them. You sure have had an interesting life.

Lin, I hope you are doing okay, thinking of you and your loss.

Patsy, I hope the celebrations are going well and you are smiling ear to ear.

Waiting to hear if Bryanna is cleaning my house today, if not then I will do it myself since I have so much free time.
    Stay well and stay safe.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Anne, we posted around the same time earlier. Have to agree about the double beating of the batter… it was the way my gran taught me as a child as she thought it an easy enough task and I tried to pass it on to Pat but she stuck with what sounded like ingredients for a sponge!

Sandy, funnily I end up with back ache if I don’t walk but I don’t rush. If I go too fast I leave George behind sniffing something then have to wave my arms so he can see me otherwise he might follow the wrong person. Today he saw a man walking a young Spaniel and raced off towards them while I held my breath in case he grumbled at them but for once he loved the young pup. Lots of calling to get him back with me and Betty! Enjoy your free time. I’m sure you’ll find something more interesting than housework!

Time to cook chilli and rice.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,195 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hello, good afternoon. We had 4+ inches of rain yesterday. It was crazy how long it rained! Thought I was going to lose my mind. Wait, I may have already lost a bit. It is cold and sunny today. I accomplished a few errands this morning. Cards taken to the post office for weighing measuring and extra postage for non-machine stamping. That took quite a while as I had a number of them that needed to be inspected, pinched and measured. 😁 (and paid for)

Then off to the library for a book return. Finally to the drug store to try and find out what the specials are this week as the email didn’t have a functioning link. Surprise, they couldn’t get to it either so they are relying on the computer knowing the proper prices. Got home and tried to hunt a bit more but no way, just nothing is showing up on their web site. I plan to go to the store tomorrow for a shop in person trip.

I spoke with someone from my church and said I would send in $ for supplies for the upcoming dinner. I put that envelope in my outgoing mailbox here just a little while ago. They need to buy supplies soon so I hope they receive my check by Wednesday.

I have assembled a stack of boxes because yes, it is trash day tomorrow, and they will pick up recycling so it is time to crush boxes. I have my box cutter at the ready.

Jackie, chili and rice. Yum. Sounds good. I walk around the house but for short periods as my leg starts to ache if I pace around too long at one time. Some days I really miss the reflexology appointments. I love your finished stairs. How is Betty doing with them?

Sandy, I hope you enjoy your day. I need to do laundry but hate to put loads of water down the drain when we’ve had so much rain and my sump pump is running. Tomorrow will be a better day! Are you catching up on Grantchester? I am still not thrilled with the new season of Grantchester or Calling the Midwife. My favorite program last night was the half hour of Charlie Brown. I love the Great Pumpkin show.

Anne, my goodness, no moss grows on Mark! A load of lumber. Wooo! Well, I hope it isn’t too dusty as construction continues. I have no background in making Yorkshire pudding but double beating sounds like a sure path to a fluffier result.

Patsy, I hope the visit has been astoundingly great! Looking forward to tales of the weekend.

Hugs all. Be safe.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

ms9035it1f85.jpeg
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Marks here borrowing my pull out steel tape measure to measure the floor I presume.

Despite pouring rain the tree leaf sucking up machine has just whisked the oak tree leaves away. It's the first tree to shed here and actually the colours are taking their time arriving. That should change with the frost warnings. I've had to tell Mike the fern didn't survive. It was a long gone fern before I got it to hopefully work miracles, a dead as a "coffin" nail fern in keeping with Halloween.

I would say I've had an interesting life SANDY. No cash to speak of but tons of adventures along the way. I wouldn't change the past, but now I'm entering a different phase and its just as interesting. In my youth, not having a trace of wanderlust, I never expected to leave my village, let alone swop countries and meet all the interesting characters, mostly lovely people but also the odd "you know what" to keep me on my toes. I feel another poem coming on! SORRY.
    Life is real, life is earnest,
    and the grave is not the goal.
    Dust thou art, to dust returneth
    was not spoken of the soul.

Happy Halloween. Annsie.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello dear sneakers! We really got gobsmacked by this storm and it hasn’t finished with us yet. More rain, wind and thunder! Much to Katie’s displeasure. We might have water tornados today. We have been warned also about thunderously huge waves and beach erosion. They reached he top of the old lighthouse. Picturesque but terrifying!

Damon left listening to our NOAH weather station for road conditions. Washouts and slides are everywhere. We were like kids on the first day of school, very excited but hanging on to our parents for dear life. It is primal how family soothes one’s soul like nothing else can. We laughed talked politics, philosophy, movies, and remembering old family adventures. All in all, a lovely visit. Your ears should have been ringing (like in that old wives tale) as with Jackie, I also shared interesting tid-bits about all my sneakers friends.

As far as exercise goes, it is just hilarious! I really need to do as much and as often as possible. If I don’t I actually freeze up into a painfully crippled mess. If I do my usual routine of exercises as recommended by NIH, it is still very painful, but a bit less and I am much more mobile. Those are my choices. And as the saying goes, we always have a choice. Some are more agreeable than others.

Now i must strip bed, gather dirty towels, clean all bathrooms, vacuum dog hair, and put away birthday banners etc. a busy day. Leftovers for dinner.
    Thinking of you all, stay safe.
    Patsy☘️

• Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) No sitting today so I am meeting friends for lunch. The sun is shining so it is a beautiful day.
    I am donating blood tomorrow and sitting after so taking a little time for me today. Bryanna will clean my house tomorrow for which I am grateful.

Patsy, glad you had a wonderful time with your son. I hope the weather has cleared up and his drive back was uneventful.

Anne, I agree, I wouldn't change anything in my life either, mistakes and all. It all was a learning experience and has taught me so much. As you say every day we learn a little more and can handle just about anything.

Lin, I hope you were able to do laundry with no problems or just waited until the sump pump quit running. I am still enjoying Grantchester as I am only on season 2. I do still like Call the Midwife as it takes us through the years. It was better in the early years but it is interesting to see how things change each year.

Jackie, I agree, if I walk slow it is much better for my back. I can remember to suck in my core as my back doctor told me to do after back surgery. If I forget to do that then it strains my back. I am almost sure I have arthritis in my back after three surgeries so I just live with it.

Have a great day and I hope the sun is shining by you.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Another grey rather dismal day but I worked my way through dog walks, my booster shot and shopping. I always like that feeling when my cupboards are stocked up and fridge/freezer full of fresh goodies. The only side effect from the booster is a slightly sore arm and aching shoulder but not even bad enough to warrant paracetamol. The pharmacy was busy so a good sign that lots are taking up the offer.
    While I was out the 2nd half of the dog bed order arrived and was left at my back door and both pooches immediately tested it for comfort and coziness.
    4cidlgouhunq.jpeg
    kydpmn7l21xq.jpeg

I’ve had a fun catch up on WhatsApp with my dear friend Pat and we’ve made a plan to meet up at the end of November when she visits mutual friends who lives in Plymouth. We also discussed a possible holiday in Northumberland next September when school summer holidays are over. I did manage to laugh at the idea of planning so far ahead when it’s difficult enough to think about next week but it will be good to have something to look forward to if Covid is still around.

Lin, Betty was funny yesterday morning when confronted with the carpet on the stairs as she walked round in a small circle on the landing, stopped to check if it was still there then round again. After a lot of persuading she trotted down and today required less persuasion. Crazy amounts of rain for you too but sounds like your sump keeps up these days.

Patsy, what a wonderful time you must have had at the weekend and I’m sure Damon must have been relieved to see you and John in person and know you are both coping in these strange times. That storm did appear quite evil from what I was reading but hopefully your weather is calming.

At least you are enjoying sunshine Sandy which is perfect for your day off! I used to donate blood until I hit an age after which we aren’t allowed to volunteer. I think it was 60 but can’t honestly remember… a long time ago let’s say!

Anne, I’ve no faith in our leaders doing much to turn the tide on climate change. Certainly the biggest polluters aren’t interested! Will you be freezing Apple rings this year with your windfalls? I’m all organised to begin the process of making apple and Japonica quince jelly, just have to sterilise a few extra jars. The quince are the largest I’ve ever grown, perhaps because I gave the plant a hard prune early in the year. They are scenting my kitchen as they sit and wait!

Time to relax and put feet up.
    Stay safe.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Annsie35
    Options
    I've absolutely no faith whatsoever in our leaders tackling climate change. In fact I'll go as far as to say we are doomed. Or a lot of us. As the people near the equator find themselves living in arid desert extreme heat and famine of course they will migrate north. I simply can't understand why people don't get it. Sermon over!

Meanwhile our government has a different cabinet. The MP for our town is now our defence secretary. As Mark said "when the migration heats up maybe she will defend our town first"!

I'm not totally pessimistic though because eventually the planet will right itself and judging by this summer will very quickly be covered in trees and vegetation.

Marks here at the moment tackling the basement floor. Its only 7 degrees today but at least the pouring rain is easing off.

I have frozen some apples Jackie but to be honest after eating an apple a day since September I am beginning to look like an apple dumpling.

Off to see what my lad's up to.
    Anne.

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,195 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    It was a cold windy day. Tomorrow holds a promise of rain again. So I did my laundry as the sump pump had fallen silent. More and more companies are marking things out along our street. Water lines, electric, gas, internet service cable. Our turning is coming for the new company to dig in new cable and I am keeping my fingers crossed. They have a less than stellar track record this year. 🤞🏻🤞🏻 Many lines have been cut and not repaired in a timely manner.

Anyway, more bills paid today and a trip to the drug store. When I got home, I worked on removing dirt from the large raised container on my deck. The wind kept blowing everything around so I did get dirt in the face several times. It was funny that when I was indoors for a little while, the squirrel made a trip across the deck and peered in the house as if he was checking on me and what I might be up to. Maybe he was hoping I would bring out some food?

Anne and Jackie, I have little faith that our leaders will find any good solutions to the downward spiral of the condition of this planet. Too many selfish people and very rich people and corporations wielding influence. In this country, our lawmakers favor the corporations and the rich when it comes to taxes and other favors. They won’t do anything that would adversely affect these megalithic campaign money 💰 suppliers.

Jackie, Oh look at Betty and George on that lovely comfy dog bed. I really like it! They both seem quite pleased. Very good shopping. I hope you have no additional side effects from your booster.

Sandy, I hope your lunch today was a lot of fun.

Patsy, is everything all cleaned up after your wonderful weekend? Did your son get home safely?

Be safe everyone. I should dig out my umbrella as well as the snow brushes etc. for the coming cold weather.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

eyuf2hkbp6m7.jpeg
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Arghhhhhhhhhhhack. It took ALL day to book our third shot at Walgreens. I am super frustrated and mad! I’ll calm down and be back tomorrow.
    Patsy☘️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    We are experiencing weird, mild temperatures that give us warmer nights than we should enjoy daytime end October but at least it saves on heating bills! A slow start today just because I could and I was surprised when I drove to the moors about 11 am to see so many visitors parking in spite of drizzle and a howling gale but I stayed on a low path that was relatively sheltered and quiet.

I’ve had to order a new hen house automatic door opener because the old one has succumbed to our wet weather and begun to let rain in to soak the batteries so it stopped working. That means getting up at the crack of dawn to open it manually as well as visit to close it at night. The eBay offer stated 48 hours delivery but the confirmation email tells me delivery “hopefully” by next Tuesday… Hmmm, our clocks go back this weekend so I’ll be getting up even earlier!

Definitely too many big corporations and governments with their own selfish agenda when it comes to reducing carbon footprints which is very shortsighted because if we humans don’t survive floods and fires, never mind choking on a sea of plastic, they won’t have any customers left to sell to! I was shouting at the tv news this morning (something I don’t usually watch), when a presenter kept stating if the Queen isn’t present at the Climate Change conference at the weekend so called dignitaries might not want to attend. Really, is that their priority?

Did you manage to book your Covid boosters Patsy or is it round 2 today?

A cute teapot Lin but I was more interested in the book it sits on! A review makes it sound an interesting read so I just might…. Could be a new hobby!

Time to make a cup of tea although this sitting about doesn’t really suit me or my new hips!!
    Hello Sandy and Anne plus anyone else watching what our little group gets up to!
    Jackie 🥰

• Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) Lunch was great, we had fun. Today I am donating blood and then sitting for kiddos.
    The sun is out and should reach 50 degrees. A little chilly for me but at least the sun feels good.
    Nothing else exciting going on.

I don't have much time so just wanted to check in and say hi. Have a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Hello fellow travellers.

Yes- I too was more interested in the book the teapot was sitting on LIN. The Foragers Calendar by John Wright. Intriguing and I'm all for foraging. Eating Wild in Eastern Canada sounds worth looking into.
    I so agree JACKIE with your comment there won't be anyone left to sell to. So shortsighted!

I've just put in my order for Friday. Remembered the buttermilk this time! Ordered mushrooms as well for my Mexican bean dish. I don't think I would dare to forage mushrooms over here after MJ spotted fungi growing on our rotting apple tree and which she thought was a mushroom!

Nothing going on here at the moment except it's a beautiful sunny day after all that rain. Mild as well for the 27th October. Mark yet to show up BUT I've got a floor to stand on now at the foot of the stairs.

"See" you all later, Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Hello dear sneakers! Foggy and rainy but I tell myself….hey! No wildfires! It appears our drought is over as well. I know we all love sunny weather but there are times when we need a good soaker. Cautiously adding but not too much rain…..

Yes we did get our appointments for our boosters. It took three long phone calls and starting over three times as well. Each time took at least an hour and I cannot understand why it took so long and what caused that website to be so buggy and just plain crazy. But we have appointments, on different days but it is a small town and we will get this done.

Feeling a bit foggy myself this morning. I need a big mug of coffee and a about an hour in my dungeon doing exercises at my ballet bar. This little bar is too handy to drape stuff on and against. Every morning I must clear the path to my exercise bar. I need this thing for balance. I could fall over at a slight whisper.

I had a big bowl of soup for dinner last night but I am strangely hungry this morning. I guess oatmeal topped with stewed apple slices will do the trick this morning. John might relent and have some as well. You never know about this guy.

Katie is sad because Damon and little old Miskey have returned to Portland. She keeps going to his room to check. We have a doggy bed and blanket in there for Damon’s old doggie. It is just for her. Katie sniffs at it but never dares to get on Miskey’s bed. The is no question about who is the alpha female when Miskey is around.

Jackie: oh do I remember having to open up the henhouse and close it up in the evening. Those were in the days when automatic door openers were not in existence. However we had coyotes and a couple of our cattle dogs were sneaky and prone to bad behavior. I didn’t mind looking after our chickens. We had a lot of chickens, we sold some to the creamery and I helped candle and wash those eggs. Good memories.

Anne: things are happening at your house! How wonderful! Sounds like a total remodel. Take photos to show us and it will also be a fun record of the whole process.

Sandy: glad you are enjoying time with your friends as well as time with your grandchildren. Those grandchildren will be teenagers soon and life will be very different. Hopefully, friends will remain the same.

Lin: I always feel that awareness and information about any problem is beneficial. Peer pressure among our leaders has always added impetuse to their agenda. I listened to a program on pbs about the various positive efforts brought about by collaborative climate change meetings. It gave me a bit of hope.

Friday is my jab day!
    Patsy☘️