Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,318 Member
    Hi all,

Arrived back at my sisters just a bit ago. Things are still undecided as to a diagnosis and treatment. My poor sister. Off to take her for blood tests in a bit.

Cheers to all.

Oh SANDY loved the pictures.

Jeri
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Jeri glad to hear you are back with your sister. My prayers are with you and the family You and ED are one swell couple.

Good morning Sneakers

Hot here in Texas. Strange we should be getting some hints of Fall. But not yet. Pure did old hot breezes coming our way.
    got me some pinto beans cooking for dinner. I got Jerry to open up the doggie door for the Kit Cat babies. I think they are old enough to o by their self. Now to teach tem how to used the door.

Just wanted to drop in early today.

1012953lbzjqv6zkk.jpg

MARIE

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Happy Thursday!! :) Meeting today but nothing after that. Went to bingo and won $107 so I was happy. Marie, glad you are enjoying your time with Jerry and the kittens, will they run away if they go outside??? Jeri, I am so sorry about your sister, this has been such a toll on her and you. I do hope things work out so you can all get some peace. Lin, enjoy your class at the library and the old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it. Maybe just leave your internet alone now that is is working.

Going to eat some breakfast and get ready. Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,363 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hello everyone!! Made some cabbage salad (simple, just chopped cabbage, onion, carrot) and made some wild rice. Got the refrigerator straightened out so I'm ready for my CSA delivery this afternoon. Cleared out just a couple of things and crushed some boxes for recycling. I do things in little mini-bursts so each chore takes forever. But that's my way.

The 10 short films last evening really were all over the spectrum from really very good to painful. We had to vote for 3 films and it was difficult. Anyway, interesting experience and my friend's son thanked me over and over for coming. That surprised me, I guess no one except his mom has attended from his family and never any of her friends. His group put together a very entertaining film it was quite professional in sound, camera work, titles, music, and they even added animation.

Next on my list is to call to cancel my service call for tomorrow. I've been holding back but the service has only been down once so far today and yesterday it was a bit worse but nothing like a week ago.

Onward.

Jeri, I am so sorry that your sister is still in limbo on this health situation. My heart aches for you and your family. I hope things get straightened out soon.

Sandy, congratulations on your Bingo win last night. You are just the luckiest lady around!! If I ever wanted to gamble, I'd want to go with you.

Marie, I like to cook lots of plain home-cooked food and have it in the refrigerator to either eat cold or available to heat it up. I hope you are able to get something cooked every day. Glad you are enjoying the lovely little kitties. We can always look at more pictures (hint).

Anne, I hope all the roof work can be accomplished before you hit any sort of rainy season. Any updates?

Patsy, sorry about the problems with your daughter but anytime you want to talk about it, you know it's fine with us. Is there any chance your weather is moderating? We are hitting a spell of high temps in the low to mid 80's which is just wonderful for August in Iowa. They say it may last into the beginning of next week before heating up again. Wahoo!!

Phoebe, how are you doing out there on the road? Still unable to get to our group page?

Shirley, you were coming home on Wednesday? Or did I read that wrong? I hope you're having a lovely day no matter your location.

Jackie, is dear little George keeping you busy with his repeated shampoos? I just think of him and giggle at his antics with the stones and rolling in the poo. A true dog!

Buzz, are you okay?

Barbie, nice to hear from you.

Anyone heard from Phyllis? Or Gayla? Or Karen? Or Maddie? Or Diane? And all our missing Sneakers?

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Hi, LIN, thanks for asking; I'm OK but tired. Alarm woke me at 7 so I could shower and be ready to drive H to early nephrology appointment. This doctor is so down to earth and h ended our visit by telling us t 50 or 60, one worries about keeping healthy for another 20/30 years. At 90, don't deny yourself what you enjoy doing or eating, just watch those portions! What' s the point in living to 100 if you are depressed? It's hard to remember that sage advise. He also mention 2 of DH's medications that make him sleepy ! Nice to hear an honest opinion from a doctor! Ate breakfast at what used to be a favorite diner; The prices have gone through the roof! I thought our Bistro was costly at $5 per breakfast, but $22.95 for 2 French toasts with coffee gave me a different perspective!
    Did lot of necessary errands and shopping and a couple of washes when we returned, and now I'll perform a couple of chores ad get ready for dinner, and so goes my day! Either my computer forget how to spell, or I've lost
    my touch, but I lose more letters, so I'll wish you all a good day and give up in frustration. I'll try resetting the cursor's touch!
    <3 Buzz
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    edited August 2015
    0a4a8jbao42b.jpg
    Hi everybody, just had the first estimate for two new roofs. It's all been those dreaded raccoons nibbling away at the tiles. 6 years ago we had patches to cover raccoon damage, but 5 of my neighbours had to have full new roofs. One couple even sold up in despair. Anyway, if we go with today's estimate, I guess it will be for the most expensive raccoon resistant tiles which last for 30 years or more, longer than MY personal estimate for longevity anyway. Lol. Sometime mid September, so pray with me please for no water deluges in the meantime although the chap said if we go with him he'll put temporary patches for now. I tell you, it never rains but it pours, as they say. Not exactly singing in the rain, Anne.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Sandy- Lovely pictures of the family and Robby. He is getting so big so fast. We will see Kathy, Fraser and
    Isaac on Sunday at the boat.

Got home yesterday our travel back was winds around 22 knots which is high for sailing and uncomfortable for the crew, (me). Glad to have docked and back on dry land.

We had a great time at the club cruise which was hot at times and then some rain which took all humidity away.
    We did have the A/C on the boat on but only once. Once the storm came all the humidity was gone and it was
    cool and comfortable. On Sunday they had a "build your own boat" out of an alcoholic beverage, at least one, and
    it had to sail across the basin around some markers. Dave's boat missed the marker instead of going on the
    inside he was on the outside for 1st place so no prize. It was fun and a lot of laughs.

After that we went to Queen City for two days and rode our bikes on the island. We also had some rain during that
    stay but then it cleared up and beautiful again. We had dinner with some old friends we haven't seen in a while.

I am eating way too many snacks while away and have to get a handle on this. I am still sporting some sodium right
    now and did not weigh in on my Thanksgiving Day challenge because of the sodium. We have a week at the cottage
    coming up again and I hope to take in at least one Yoga class while I am there. Then we have our last club cruise
    on Labor Day and I am not buying any snacks on that trip. I hope to get back to my normal diet soon and start
    to lose instead of maintain.

I will comment later, finishing up laundry and tasks around the house. Lost two of my plants that were in pots,
    we asked Tom to come and water. I should have put them out from under the overhang, my fault. Our tomatoes
    are blooming now cherries and regular size. I am going to pick some today.

Have a great evening.

Shirley
  • CALIECAT
    I have been reading up on leaky legs. Don't seems to be anything they can do about it.. it is just on one leg

Hey phoebe I need for you to drop Okie off to teach my Kitties to love to go outside.. I took them out this morning., Jerry unlock the doggie door for them and they did not like being outside Meow the whole time. wanting back in the house.I don't think they will ever go out by their self. They were just out all of 10 minutes..

Anne roofs do not comes cheap.

Buzz lad to hear you are still getting around so good.

Lin I have a bag of chopped cabbage to make me a salad. Be good with my beans tonight.
    I seen a article on using a Mason jar to be used with the screw on blades of your blender to make smoothies. Need to try that one day soon.

• linder4866
    edited August 2015
    Hello friends - well, I cancelled that service call and of course today my Internet connection has been horrible. And my laptop crashed and it's taken quite a while to get things going again. I've used my phone to comment on news feed but right now, everything seems to be working so I'll try to write a post!!

I went to the grocery store this morning and got inspired by some friends online to try roasting combos of veggies so I did two trays of big cut up vegetables on parchment paper lined trays. One was broccoli, sweet yellow onion, and sliced mushrooms. The other was red onion, red sweet bell pepper, snap pea pods and yellow squash. Smelled heavenly in here.

It's time for me to clean up, change my clothes and get on the road to try to find that baby shower location. I have no idea where I'm going so I'll leave early with some directions and hopefully a programmed GPS.

Hugs to all..

Where is everyone today????

Lin
  • CALIECAT
    I came by earlier but no one else been by yet.
    We are off to the grocer store this morning.

All is well here. still have a leaky leg tho. Just called my doctor and she having me to put warm compress on my legs. and called back Monday. For I just took my last antibiotic So will try that.
    We tried putting the Kit Cats out again tis morning. But they still did not like it and wanted back in the house.

I started this this morning but failed to post it it. so will now
    Hugs marie.

• delraybuzz
    Hi everyone. A quick aside to MARIE; I never thought to call it leaky legs, but that's what started my search for treatment last fall! I went into therapy for about 6 months and mostly it cleared up, but I couldn't get by without my compression leg "sleeves"! I use them at least 3 times a week, though every day would be better for them!
    Have a healthy day, y'all!
    <3 Buzz
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    What is going on? Looking outside and seeing leaves falling! It is only the first week in August! Oh well, I went to Costco and they don't have Christmas stuff out yet so that is good. I always feel cheated when they hurry the seasons.

Buzz and Marie: not sure what leaky legs are but I must wear compression socks daily. They are not the super strong ones. But it is to help with edema. I don't mind but they do get hot. I have been known to takes off my shoes and put my toes up to cool in front of a fan. Not really attractive but...

Anne: saw a travelogue on Onterio and was so impressed by the lovely lakes. Do you live near any of those?
    Jackie: thinking of you, my friend. Keep in touch. Remember all us sneakers are thinking of you.
    Lin: yea! It looks like you are back in business on your internet. I love the iPad if it were to go bad, I would be in the car speeding down the road to get another within minutes. It is my communication and newspaper.

Returning a bunch of clothes I ordered. Ugh! The quality of clothing these days is shocking. Horrible fabric and poorly sewn and coming apart as I take things out of the sack! Back to my old stuff, I guess. Out of style and dowdy but at least it is better made than these high priced disasters.
    Patsy
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    Marie, we used to let our cats go out and I often worried about their safety. When we moved to this house we made Bernie an inside cat and we are much happier. We never worry that he is lost or injured.
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Good morning all. MARIE, I'm with BARBIE insomuch as I wouldn't put such young kittens outside just yet. It's a big scary world out there for such little things, and they can pick up fleas and ticks which create a whole heap of new problems. Wait until they are old enough to have been spayed and neutered at least.
    Yes PATSY, the Great Lakes are beautiful and I do indeed live close enough to Lake Ontario to walk down to it. I've noticed the leaves starting to turn, but then I've noticed some trees start turning in previous Augusts as well. Always shocks me.
    And yes, like you I've noticed the quality of clothing deteriorate in the last few years, just like washing machines etc. Anything to get us to part quicker with our cash, much to the detriment of the poor planet.
    I received a beautiful handwritten letter from Tabithas lovely lady vet. Amongst other things she wrote:
    "Although your final decision was undoubtably such a difficult one, please know it was the kindest decision for Tabitha allowing her to leave us painlessly and peacefully." Etc etc. I thought it wonderful that she took the time and trouble to write me such a comforting letter, and thought I'd share that little part with you.
    Enjoy Saturday folks,
    Anne.
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    We have a bit of wet weather. Not real rain yet but it is drizzelly. We have had a small wildfire. It burned 27 acres in total, so the damp weather is welcome. Now we have the geranium leaves turning. It is official! Fall is on the way.

Yesterday was pizza Friday. I had one piece of the medium sized pizza. It was vegggie margarita and was wonderful. A fresh peach for dessert. But I think the salt made me gain a bit of water weight. Back to better choices today. It was fun to be a little bad...but not too bad.

Doing my yoga this AM. I serve as entrainment for John and the dogs. They all watch this performance with interest and amusement. I want to do my part. I am aiming to try to improve flexibility. So far I have bruised my leg when I fell over during a pose. I don't have a great track record on this. Tonight back to the exercise bike.
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    A glorious day today and I'm about to spend the afternoon gardening now that we've got past the hottest time of the day. It's interesting that some of you feel Autumn is creeping up on you because as I walked George with a friend this morning we talked about the fact that the Canadian geese that spend the summer on our local lake are already taking practice runs with their youngsters before heading north to Scotland after which some head west to Canada. The V shaped flights usually take place in September or early October so we wonder if they know something about the weather we don't!

Marie ~ I have to agree that your little kitties are probably a bit young to be taking care of themselves outside. All that open space will scare them and you don't want them running off in the wrong direction should they get spooked by something. I'd certainly wait until they are a few months old.

Patsy ~ This weight thing is a struggle at times isn't it when just a dash of salt has the effect of putting on the pounds. During my health check a few weeks ago I was told I was only just within my BMI and yet I walk every day and stay away from bread, processed food and sweet things so haven't much else to give up! The picture you paint of your yoga sessions made me laugh as I think I might struggle to ever get off the floor once I'd managed a few stretches! I do own a yoga video that I bought about 12 years ago with every intention of taking it up but never did so who knows, if I'd been disciplined I could have been as agile as a mountain goat by now. I've stopped buying clothes on line or through catalogues because my wardrobe is filling up with things I'll never wear due to cheap quality.

Anne ~ What a nice vet Tabitha Daisy had to think of writing to you and putting your mind at rest although I know you felt the time was right however painful.

Must get going with the gardening otherwise it will suddenly be evening!!

Jackie

• linder4866
    edited August 2015
    Hello friends - we are having a drizzly day as well. Perhaps heavier rain this evening and/or overnight.

I have a crab apple tree that is losing leaves bit by bit. That happens each year though so nothing unusual for that tree. I think it has some type of blight and doesn't have a long life ahead. But I enjoy it in the spring and don't mind the leaf drop. But I don't see anything different in our area as far as trees and shrubs are concerned.

Made it to the baby shower last night in spite of my GPS. Would you believe it had a disc reading error while I was on the Interstate and didn't help me get to my location through all the turns of the residential areas in Ames? I know nothing but the main streets. Luckily I had printed out some directions I found on Mapquest or Google maps or something and had them in the car. It's a bit more difficult to drive, search for street signs, and read but I made it. On the way home it was on a bit longer--it got me out of town by a different route than my printed instructions and as soon as I got near the Interstate entrance it failed again. I am so thankful it got me to familiar territory.

Oh the baby is a gorgeous little girl with lots of dark hair and blue eyes. Loads of gifts of course and nice to catch up not only with my friend but also another lady who also worked at the same company with us.

And I was in awe. I live in my own little personalized mess of a home and I'm okay with it until I go to something like this. The home was new and everything sparkled, the carpet had nary a spot, everything looked as if it was professionally decorated, the furniture all matched, and all the kitchen things (cabinets, countertops, fixtures) took my breath away. I cannot imagine living in a home like that. I'd probably have everything ruined in a month. Interesting to see how others live.

Better keep on moving. I'd like to try to tackle a few boxes this morning. Again, it seems these are things I could use up here in my own home rather than throwing them away. Swiffer cloths, sponges, etc. My friends keep telling me to just throw them out to cut down the clutter as this stuff doesn't cost that much. I have problems with that as my grandmother always taught me to use things up. Probably why I have so much clutter! My grandma, my mom, me--keepers of lots of rags to wash and reuse. But I may have tipped over the edge on the stacks of these I have now.

Hugs. Best wishes for everyone to regain health and pain-free lives.

Lin
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Lin - I use rags for cleaning too and wash them. I also have the swiffers products and a steam device for floors which I love.
    It uses distilled water only. I used all yesterday when cleaning my upstairs. I still have to dust this morning before going down
    to the boat. I am glad you enjoyed your baby shower, they are so fun especially when the baby is there to adore. As far the
    home you visited that is the norm around our area everyone seems to want to have everything new. Our house is not new
    but we make small changes from time to time. Cutting down on clutter will make your life more stress free, I have read this from time to time. I must say I am always decluttering. It makes for easier cleaning and now more than ever since Dave
    retired and we are gone so much.

Patsy - You mentioned you checked out the Canadian Lakes and Lake Ontario where Anne lives is also the Lake we sail
    on all the time. We are 10 mins from Lake Erie where we live but there is no where to go with a boat there so we travel
    45 mins to Lake Ontario and you have all the ports on the North Shore to go to. That is where all of our club cruises
    are held. It is a 5 hour sail across and you do have to watch out for the big freighters. Yesterday I got in a Yoga class
    and really needed it. I am thinking about bringing a Yoga mat on the boat and doing some postures while away. I really
    feel it when I don't do it now. Yesterday I was having joint pain and had to take an Aleve. When doing Yoga 3 times a
    week I never have to take anything. Being away so much this summer has taken its toll on the body. I will be doing
    some Yoga next week while at home. We are leaving again for a week at the cottage and taking my MIL. I am planning
    on taking some classes while away this time . I agree about cheap clothing being sent in the mail these days.
    Especially Sears, their clothing has really gone down hill.

Anne - What a lovely note from the Vet and I think it makes closure easier for you now.

Jackie - When I used to do the Wii Fit I often checked the BMI to see where I was and it seemed I needed to take alot
    of pounds off to get to a normal reading. I am still aways from normal but I will not stop trying. Exercise has improved
    my Type 2 diabetes so I will continue what I am doing but need to shave my calories again. How are you feeling these
    days? I know you have a lot on your mind right now and my thoughts are with you.

Marie - So sorry you are having problems with your legs. Do you wear compression stockings? My MIL does and feels
    so much better for it. It has to do with the heart and circulation in the legs which I am sure you already know that. I
    hope you get some relief soon.

Today is finishing up dusting upstairs, making some dinner for BBQing at the boat. Isaac is coming tomorrow
    for a visit on Grandma and Grandpa's boat.

Enjoy the day!

Shirley
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Happy Saturday!! :) Busy weekend again. Babe and I are going to his brothers gathering this afternoon. His brother called me and said he would really like to see us. It will just be his kids with their kids a few neighbors, so Babe was willing to go. If not I would have gone myself because I adore his brother. We won't stay long because of Daisy, he has to get back to feed her, so a few hours will be long enough. Tomorrow the birthday party, please pray for no rain. I am trying to make a DVD of Robby's 1st year, but I have so many pictures I am not sure I can get it done in time. Will work on it as much as I can today and hope for the best.

Shirley, your summers always sound so wonderful, you are a lucky lady with having such an active husband that likes to do fun things.

Lin, I am glad you had such a good time at the shower in spite of your bad GPS. Did you try using the GPS on your phone, they are pretty accurate.

Jackie, glad you are enjoying your time with George and having great weather. Do you have someone to stay with you when you have your procedure??

Patsy, my son and his wife will welcome that misty weather, they hate the heat. I too, hate when I gain from salt, and I love salty treats more than sugar treats. Drink lots of water today and get rid of that salt, it will make you feel better.

Anne, what a wonderful gesture from your vet, I am sure it is hard for them as well. I hope the healing has begun for you.

Barbie, good to hear from you with good advice.

Buzz, I have never heard of leaky leg but if hose would help Marie I hope she will wear them for comfort.

Marie, sorry you are having such problems with your leg, but the sneakers seem to know what to do to help you as long as your doctor agrees.

Have a wonderful weekend, not sure what time I will get here tomorrow. We will go to Mass in the morning and the party starts at noon. Enjoy your day!!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    linder4866 wrote: »
    I live in my own little personalized mess of a home and I'm okay with it until I go to something like this. The home was new and everything sparkled, the carpet had nary a spot, everything looked as if it was professionally decorated, the furniture all matched, and all the kitchen things (cabinets, countertops, fixtures) took my breath away. I cannot imagine living in a home like that. I'd probably have everything ruined in a month. Interesting to see how others live.
    Lin
    ...LIN...I'll bet your home has a feel of YOU in it, whereas the Decorator's hand is what we'd see in your friend's home! It's a collection of furnishings rather than a lived-in home! I'll bet yours has character, so love it, dear friend!
    PATSY, I wear 30-40 compression stockings; edema, lipdermatosclerosis, restless leg syndrome, bleeding pores (or just oozing!), you name it, my legs have it! I used to go way over the 10,000 steps per day, and my suggestion is to keep it moderate, and I wish I had in my my younger more vigorous days! We feel so invulnerable when we have the energy, but it doesn't predict the future one bit!
    BARBIE, nice to see you here again! Good to hear Bernie has adjusted so nicely!
    ANNE, what a sweet note from the vet! So few take time to see patients as much beyond a source of income!
    JACKIE, since it is 95 (feels like 100) outside today, I cannot think autumn yet! By the way, I buy most of my clothes online now, and am seldom dissatisfied! I simply stick with Chico.com, as I know their fit and styles.
    SANDY, do enjoy you BIL; and Robby's 1st birthday party! Came so fast! I think the "leaky" legs refer to the slight oozing on the surface when there's too much edema! I can find blood on my compression stockings with no sign of injury! I must lose more weight as I'm certain it will help!
    SHIRLEY, it sounds as if you really have excellent control of your diet and exercise, despite all the temptations! Keep it going!
    I just picked up one of my on-line bargains which I had shortened. Now I will hunt a vest or jacket in the color "ink" , like the pants, so I will have an outfit, I hope. I hate shopping!
    Have a superb weekend...
    <3 Buzz