Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    edited August 2015
    It must be hot! 5 days in a row! Relief on Thursday! I'm wearing SHORTS, and that's unbelievable! Happy birthday, Phyllis.
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    @CALIECAT - Such a cute kitty! One of our cats likes to drag my oldest son's clothes all over the house. Hopefully your kitties will outgrown the need to relocate your things.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    I got caught up this morning on all posts. MARIE, your kitty is so adorable, they are so cute when they are young.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Phyllis if I missed you.

I had a nice shower this morning and washed all the sweat away. We are on a well here at the cottage so I have
    to shower every other day thus the sweating when its so hot. It's gray and gloomy this morning but still no rain.
    I just had breakfast and will be going to my Yoga class, I hope they have AC. B) I think I will pick up a bathing suit
    at least we can go to the beach and cool off if the weather should continue.

Dave and went bass casting last night, I did catch one, but alas he spit out the lure. :(

Shirley

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Phyllis,

246153u05i42tpoj.gif

I swore your birthday was today, I must have read the birthday chart wrong. Hope you had a wonderful day!!

Sandy
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited August 2015
    Sorry I missed your birthday, Phyllis. I do hope you celebrated with your family and that your mom is doing well.
    Getting laundry going, lots of it. Shirley, stay wet to stay cool. It's a method, anyway! Enjoy your time at the cottage.
    We are going to work Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week by making short trips. Jim's family reunion(on mother's side) is Saturday, Aug 22. So many aunts and cousins. His aunts are having some issues and he hates to miss the reunions now. There will be loads of food and desserts. We will just take chicken nuggets platter, cupcakes, and maybe some lemonade. I like the vegetables and the cornbread dressing.
    Raining here and we are so very glad. Too late for the new grass Jim planted, and my new rose probably won't make it, even though I kept it watered.
    Going to put sweet potatoes in the crock pot, better get them going.
    Phoebe

P.S. I forgot to mention that I have my new tracker, Jawbone Move, attached to my Fitbit. Today they are being compared. So far, fitbit is recording about twice as many steps as Jawbone. I've read that some people say fitbit exaggerated their step count. Jawbone uses a battery, replaceable.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    PHOEBE - Interesting about Fit bit count. I have the Fit Bit Flex but don't know if they exaggerate their steps.
    It's more movement than steps I find. I have never heard of Jaw Bone. I have to plug in my Fit bit to juice it up.

We finally got rain today and it feels a bit better. Sleeping last night was a challenge.

I had my Yoga class today my instructor, Ruth, was very young but who isn't when you hit 66. ;) She was good, and
    came around and asked how everyone was feeling and what they wanted to work on today. My hips are somewhat
    tight so I asked for some practices for hips. It felt good when I left and didn't realize how tight I was.
    I bought one of their studio t shirts so I could advertise her studio and just liked it.

I picked up some coffee and tim bits to share on the way home. My next class is Thursday and then I will have some
    retail therapy as my daughter calls it. B)

Shirley

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    A warm greeting today! Very hot here and no breeze at all. Scary weather for wildfires. We are keeping a close watch on things around here. Forests are everywhere and we are right in the middle of them.

Big blackberry crop. Some wild varieties are wonderful...some not so wonderful. The deer eat them all. We have several brazen deer that feel comfortable nibbling every flower and bush right up next to our house. They only stop and look us in the eye as we go out to shoewww them away. I even waved a broom at them. You could hear them say in deer talk..."please be quiet, we having our lunch!"

Kitties are adorable, Marie. I would love one but John is a total dog person. I really love most creatures. I even liked my nephews pet snake. But the silly thing was always escaping his large terrarium.

Happy birthday Phillis! Hope you have a lovely day with family, birthday kisses and CAKE, of course.

Trying to get my personal schedule arranged to get the necessary stuff done but still concentrate on what I want to do in the art dungeon. One of my big failings is not making my exercise a priority. Big mistake! I vow to do better.

Anne and Jackie: watched a travelogue on Cornwall on PBS. The countryside is magical isn't it? Our forests here are beautiful but not as easy to hike around in. Our old doggies will only walk on the roadside. I think their eyesight is like mine. Not as good as it used to be. You should see the gear I use when I paint. I have magnifying eyewear that is like a miners lamp. It fits on my head. I look like a demented coal miner.
    Patsy
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    well it has been a slow day here. or a long one. or both.
    Shirley, There is a way to calibrate JawBone that I will try when I have time. I am guessing it is mostly a problem with each counter measuring steps differently, if that is possible. like I take big steps, being tall.
    Anyway, back to work tomorrow thru Friday. have a good week
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    2157045gp85zev8ri.gif This morning I told Jake that I wanted to do my weight training first thing and I wanted most of the house to myself to do it. It doesn't really take up that much space but I wanted to be able to have the TV on and not be interrupted for anything, not even questions like "where is the____ ?"or "how do you spell______?" so he took the truck and went to Home Depot and the shoe store. When he came home, he fixed lunch for us.

:) Patsy, Jake is a dog person and I'm a cat person so we have had both for most of our marriage

:) Sandy, you're a lot more structured and disciplined than you realize. You have been careful about your eating and exercise for as long as I've known you and that is many years.

:) Marie, your kitties are adorable..they remind me of the wonderful days when Bernie was a kitten.

<3 Jeri, how great that you can be with your sister in Seattle at this scary time for her

:) Shirley, glad you have wifi....sorry it is so hot

<3 Barbie
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Happy birthday Phylis dear
    1915327u01g2su06s.gif
    Marie
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    I guess it's tomorrow where you live but happy belated birthday, Phyllis dear. Weren't you coming stateside to visit your Mom? Hope all's well.
    <3 Buzz
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Hello everybody, well hopefully its the last day of a 5-6 day heatwave with humidity. Very uncomfortable, because just like Shirley at her cottage, no A/C. This is my own fault as the boys offered to put in my very heavy window unit back in July, and I declined because I never expected such a long stretch of heat! They even offered last Saturday when we cut down the cedar, but I figured we are so late in the season, what's the point. You can guarantee that next June I'll be whining to have it put in nice and early! We cut back the two apple trees last night away from the roof. I'm not sure exactly why, but the growth in the trees has been an explosion of foliage, and an explosion of apples! Anyway, it had to be done because the new roof tiles got dropped off yesterday so the roofers could appear any minute. Pray that the town removes all the trunks and branches lining my front on Friday! A couple of years ago I bought a cheap pair of shorts, never really expecting to wear them. Well guess who's been exposing her elderly limbs!
    Anyway, enough of having a moan, it's hard to imagine that in just a few months we up north will be trying to keep upright on frozen paths!
    Enjoyed reading everybody's posts. Isn't it amazing how much we all get up to.
    Anne
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,364 Member
    Good morning, and I hate to torture others who are suffering heat and dry weather but we've been drowned with rain and today, it's overcast, windy and downright chilly. It was 58 degrees F when I went to Trader Joe's this morning. I'm wearing a fleece jacket and really enjoying a hot cup of tea. I'm sure we'll zoom back in the other direction soon but it's a good thing I never pack away any clothing, I can go from season to season all in my closet. When I was young, I worked along side my mother to pack and unpack clothing. Only the current season of things would be in my closet. Does anyone do that now? Seems like a lot of work although the closets were much less packed!

Wahoo--my kitchen mat has arrived and I'm going to run down and pick it up in a little while and need to stop by the library.

Yesterday was laundry, paying bills, catching up on email and making a few phone calls. I just kept working on things online because my Internet service was only off 3 or 4 times yesterday and not for long periods of time.

We are busy bees.

Anne, I hope and pray the town will remove all the debris.

Jeri, please let us know how things are going.

Marie, how are you feeling now? No falls right?

Phoebe, good plan for the family get together.

Buzz, hope you are getting some rest (but I'm always saying that).

Sandy, not a day for pool time here today!

Shirley, your yoga class sounds lovely even if it was a bit short. Hope you find a way to cool down!

Barbie, what type of weights did you purchase? I have lots and lots of hand weights of various sizes but goodness, it is kind of messy and takes up a lot of space.

Actually I wondered if anyone has heard from Phyllis? It's been quite a while and I note she has not logged in on MFP for quite a while. Does anyone have her email address? Or is she on Facebook? Just concerned about her and her family. Thanks.

Moving on. Hello to everyone I've overlooked.......sorry.

Lin
  • linder4866
    edited August 2015
    I'm in another group (on another site) and people post pictures of what they are eating each day. I tried it yesterday (but I find it a bit time consuming so don't know if I'll be joining in each day). I'm going to try to share my pictures from yesterday.netxl8pog1ed.jpg
    One bowl of cucumber, tomatoes, and carrots. One big salad bowl of various types of lettuce, kale, broccoli sprouts, red onion, red, orange and yellow peppers, zucchini, etc. with wild blueberry vinegar and I added shredded carrots after the picture was taken.

8o5z46f3kgj8.jpg
    Roasted vegetables (eggplant, onion, mushrooms, various types of peppers) and blueberries
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Happy Wednesday!! :) After some terrible storms last night, today is a beautiful day in the 70's. Not a lot of sunshine so probably no pool. Pool will be closing right after labor day weekend, so not much time left. Tonight is bingo night so wish me luck. After riding the bike I am back down to my goal weight which makes me happy.
    Phyllis is on google+, I will try to find her email and send her one to see if she is okay. Remember her mother was very bad so I do hope she is coping.

Lin, that is a whole lot of veggies but your pictures make it look so appetizing. I too, have one closet with all seasons, thank goodness it is a walk in even if on the smaller size. I did change seasons out when in the house with Babe, just didn't have enough closet space on the main level. I am glad I don't have to do that anymore.

Anne, lots of activity at your house, I hope you aren't over doing. A new roof will make your house like new, hope the pounding doesn't give you a headache. Next time listen to your boys and have them put in the A/C so you don't swelter again during the summer.

Buzz, how are things?

Barbie, years ago when I belonged to the park district gym, I loved all the machines for strength training but now I just ride the bike and that is about all I can handle. Come to think of it when I have Robby and lift him up and down, I guess that would be strength training. lol

Phoebe, I have heard others say that Fitbit is off on steps but I figure what ever amount of steps I do keeps me moving. I do know if you use a lot of arm movements it adds steps, so not sure how accurate it really is.

Patsy, someone asked my son if he could see the fires but he said no just the smoke. It must be scary knowing you are surrounded by forest, so I pray they can get those fires out soon.

Shirley, good to hear from you although aren't you supposed to be vacationing??? When does Issac come and spend some time with you at the cottage?? I bet he and Robby are about the same size, both big boys.

JMarcella, is there a nickname we can call you to shorten your "handle"?

Jackie, when is your procedure again, my memory is not so good.

Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited August 2015
    How our weather changes. Yesterday was a glorious but very hot day but today it's rained from early morning and although I thought it was clearing through the heavens opened again just as I stood throwing corn out for my hens' teatime snack so I'm just hoping it's a clearing up shower. Yesterday I had my pre operation check at the hospital where the temperature was stifling as I was sent from one department to another and although it was obvious they were incredibly busy I couldn't fault the care and attention afforded me. They even added in an ECG because I had mentioned heart palpitations that sometimes hit me and after a chat with a charming junior doctor I was given the all clear and reassurance the anaesthetist will keep an eye on me!! A friend came with me and after 3 hours in that environment we headed for a car dealership where she'd arranged to test drive a Mazda sports car, bright red and convertible so to die for!! While she went off with the dealer for a run in it I sat in the air conditioned salesroom with a cup of tea that unfortunately came from a drinks dispenser that delivered something tasting more like tomato soup!! To end the day we headed for a beach where we met up with another friend who'd stopped off at my cottage to collect George and sat in the last of the sunshine. I'm sure if he could, George would thank everyone for the birthday wishes!

Phoebe ~ Hopefully if you leave that rose where it is, it may well recover and sprout fresh growth in the Spring when if you haven't already, you could spread a mulch around it to protect the roots from the heat of the day. Don't worry, George wouldn't be left alone at the edge of the sea if there were large waves and that was a sheltered cove. When we have heavy rain and the river that runs through the woods becomes a bit of a torrent, I keep him well away from that too.

Barbie ~ Your regime seems to be increasing what with the weights and I'll be interested to learn what benefits you feel you gain once you've exercised this way for a few weeks. You are so disciplined and I know look into all that you do so am sure you must have a plan!

Lin ~ When we left the beach on Saturday we had a long walk back to the car park firstly across an open field where George ran and ran, then into woodland that had a stream running down to the sea so he splashed through that waterway and washed away all the sand! That's great you enjoyed the lunch with your friend and found so much to talk about. Were the staff hovering to throw you out?? Your photos show an amazing array of fruit and veggies that looks so healthy. I love to chomp on carrot sticks although I'd probably go off track and find a naughty dip too!! The area of moors I walk with George has a tiny village called Minions and when the movie was released the publicity people stuck a poster with a picture of little Minions on the road sign so now we locals not only have to drive carefully round sheep, ponies and cattle that hang around the side of the road but also tourists who stop to take photos of each other under the sign!!

Patsy ~ Runtie and Miski could be George's siblings and are the only other grey and white Lhasas I've come upon. They look gorgeous and so well groomed compared to George who seems to feel the need to roll in anything mucky! The Cornwall travelogue sounds very interesting and I'm pleased you got to see more of the area I live in. Our blackberries that grow on the side of the country roads are struggling to expand into juiciness but I'm hoping if this rain continues we'll at least see them turn into something glorious in the next week or so. I've an image of a demented coalminer working in your dungeon that looks very similar to a "Minion"!!

Buzz ~ In my 20's I went through my Thomas Hardy period when I read every one of his books but Far From the Madding Crowd was my favourite and I've watched the original movie with the delightful Julie Christie and at that time, gorgeous Terence Stamp many times. A Pair of Blue Eyes was another favourite and based in Cornwall so perhaps that was what pulled me to this area. It's never been turned into a movie as far as I'm aware though.

Shirley ~ Good to see your temperatures have cooled enough for you to get a better night's sleep. Enjoy your time at the cottage and keep an eye on MIL that she's eating enough.

Sandy ~ Well done getting back to your weight goal; I try but never quite get there although I seem to have been weighed so many times in the past couple of weeks and been told I'm at an acceptable place so probably shouldn't worry too much at the moment. Hospital trip next Tuesday and kinda looking forward to getting the job done!

Jeri ~ "Plan of attack" is definitely the right approach. Chatting to medical staff yesterday they all confirmed that so many advances have been made, even in the past couple of years, so do stay positive. <3

Marie ~ That photo of Bubba is adorable and so typical of a kitten's fascination with a screen and mouse. When my cats were younger they'd attack the printer when it started to churn out paper and although they'd sometimes jump on to the OFF switch, did make me laugh.

Anne ~ My neighbours burn cedar wood but it gets left in a pile at the bottom of their garden for about 4 years to give it a chance to dry out.... not that you want it piled up in front of your property that long!! When I last visited Canada we were in London end September/early October and the temperature was over 90 so perhaps air conditioning isn't such a bad idea. My apple tree is always pruned in January and July so I don't think you'll be doing yours any harm if you've had to cut it back. Fingers crossed the roof will soon be replaced.

JMarcella ~ Do let me know your name as I don't think we've been properly introduced!!! LOL

Time for me to cook something for an evening meal. I did have some cooked salmon that was left over from a friends wedding reception but decided to treat the cats and then George stuck his nose in so he finished it off. I'm just hoping it wasn't too rich for them but have to say they're all looking extremely satisfied with themselves!

Jackie

• CALIECAT
    Lin I really like your foods. Looks like a lot of food and is but low in calories. wonderful. What is the link I would like to see what others are eating? IS IT A PLANT FOOD SITE.

MARCELA So glad to have you abroad. We do have an unwritten law The seniors need to sign their post. There is a couple of us with really bad menories. And it will help in getting to know you. You notice we all sign our name at the end of the post Thanks

Marie

• linder4866
    Hi Marie - I'd love to give you a link but it's a secret group on Facebook which only allows people who've gone through a paid program to belong. Sorry. It's a group of whole-food plant based people so you see LOTS of vegetables each day. :)

And me too Marcella......it really helps to see a name. Or a nickname. Thanks.

Just had a heavy shower go through. And just before that my handyman stopped by and picked up my snowblower so I said bye bye. It is probably going to a school program where kids learn to fix engines etc. That will be nice. (And I have a bit more room in my garage.)

Time for grub. Yummm.

Lin

• linder4866
    edited August 2015
    Sorry to take up the space but I did post meals again today. I know it's a lot of vegetables and I'm not a food stylist.

orshudt3r9ub.jpg
    Salad buffet, greens, chopped red onion, broccoli sprouts, sweet peppers, shredded carrots, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, flavored vinegar

ow5ngeaergh7.jpg
    Green beans, purple sweet potato, apple, clementine, banana

ljgt527y9tkj.jpg
    Leftover starchy foods---wild rice, green peas, Trader Joe's soycatash with a bean sauce

• CALIECAT
    edited August 2015
    Oh Ok Lin.Did not know there was any secret group on Facebook.I would not like to post all my meals anyway,
    For some reason My computer stopped working. I Guess the kittens to blame.
    Your veggies are so pretty.Marie