Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    HI ALL.
    The weather is getting a teeny bit cooler here but still in the 90's. My morning swim felt good even at 5:30 am.
    My sister and her husband are on that medifast diet with all the products that you buy and eat round the clock. They have both lost a lot of weight but I worry about what will happen when they quit eating the products. I have read some pros and cons on that diet. The good thing is they lose weight and don't have the risks that overweight people have. but I worry about he long term affects on their bodies of eating all that pre-pared foods and snacks.
    I still think that a healthy diet and exercise plan even though it takes longer to lose the weight is the best route to go.
    I take only one supplement. Fish oil. My husband takes calcium because his mom died of bone cancer and this is his way of protecting him from getting it. Whatever floats your boat.
    I sewed a set of sheets for the babies crib today. I have fabric to make one more set then they will have three sets. IF they sold them here I'd consider buying but they are pretty easy to make. If I can figure out how to transfer my photos form my phone to this lap top, I'll send a pic of my new little grand daughter. She is a cutie.
    Phyllis
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,199 Member
    Options
    Good morning - we are having some morning storms. LOUD thunder! Then after they pass through it will be this evening before we receive more apparently. I had hoped to go to an apple orchard tomorrow to pick some apples to take to the block party on Sunday AND get to a quilt show/garden display tomorrow but the weather doesn't sound promising for that on Friday. We'll see.

I am excited, I am going to pick up my DVD of the old family movies this morning. I can't believe it's ready already. Wow. I am sure I'll find it interesting.

Phyllis, looking forward to your picture(s).

Jackie, my poor vehicles get little attention other than at the car dealership as we don't have annual inspections and I am not much at cleaning--house or car! I cannot believe darling little George makes any mess of hair in your car. Ha. Doggies are darlings but there is a lot of clean-up isn't there?

Just FYI, radon inspections are very common now in any real estate transactions in Iowa due to the radon issue. If I decided to sell my home it is likely I would have had to do this anyway so I figured I might as well benefit from the system now. And you never know when I might have to sell.

Onward--!!

Lin
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Just a final cheep from me about vitamins, supplements and medications. I saw a news item and it turns out that in some cases vital medications are no longer working. Guess what, they are no longer made here at home, but are now imported from China. Further analysis found that some are watered down to go further and make more money with dire results for some very sick people! Now I don't know if this applies to vitamins, but I wouldn't be at all surprised! I for one will stick to my spuds, carrots, broccoli, apples, oranges etc and my half hour walk every day.
    Anne
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    lin I found a way to described to unwanted e mail I found at the top of the email page where delete is box says more. I just click on it after I bring the unwanted e mail up click on unsubscribe then delete poof its gone,I oly had 10 message this morning compare to 60 or so I usally have I am E mailing my sponger on O A And I did not want her message to get lost in the scuffle. Those 10 I did not get to unsubscribe last night so I guess it works. What a relief.Alice been comp lining I do not answer her email . now I know why they were lost in all that mess. Now I can keep it clean out Sometimes I would have 140 or so. I would just check the delete button and delete te whole mess. Makes me so happy now. Will keep it up all day. Easy peasy

Marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,138 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Happy Thursday!! :) Meeting today, last one here unless Lisa and/or Bryanna has a Thursday off. The memorial was wonderful and the luncheon following was good. I did go to bingo with my friend's husband as she went out for dinner with her other two friends and I didn't feel invited. We didn't win and that big pot is now up to $4000, so I am going to go next week even though I am sitting. I will just leave right after bingo to get to bed early.

With all the supplements talk I do take them, fish oil, calcium with vitamin D3 and K, a low doze aspirin, cetirizine which is a generic allergy pill and eye vitamins for my macular degeneration. As nurse once told me she took cetirizine every day even though she doesn't have allergies ( neither do I) and she never gets colds or respiratory problems so I now do the same. I hardly ever get sick and really am quite healthy so I will continue taking them until told different. What ever works for one might not work for another so it is a personal choice. <3

Lin, here is Illinois a radon test is also required when selling property. They do offer free tests to check your own radon which I did do when I lived in the house and it was normal. They do recommend them if you have a basement but even without it wouldn't hurt to test. I am glad you took care of your problem even before selling the house.

Marie, good for you on figuring out how to delete unwanted mail. I keep unsubscribing but they keep popping up.
    The OE program sounds like it is working for you and is keeping you happy.

Phyllis, sewing sheets sounds like a project to me, but then again I am not talented in that department.

Jackie, I took my car to the car wash yesterday, I love a clean car. We have emissions tests here for cars that are over four years old. ( I think) When with Babe he never kept a car for more than three years so I am not really sure on the time line.

Phoebe, glad to hear Jim is using his oxygen, I am sure it helps him breathe easier. Good for his doctor in losing weight, cake I would have no problem passing on but ice cream is a different story. I will let you know about the meeting Monday if I can convince myself to leave my house after dinner. Thank goodness for DVR's.

Time is getting away from me once again. Have a great day!!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I take vit d, mine was low on my labs. Dr said just get more sunshine. It wasn't enough for me, the softgels have worked well.
    Good for you, Marie.
    Achy back today
    Phoebe
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    A good day to you sneaker friends! We have a partly sunny/partly rainy day. I have a long list of chores before Thursday football. Our old doggies are getting their nails clipped tonight and I have my drawing pencils and sketch pad ready beside my tv chair. I seem to need activities during the game. I like being with John during the game but I do lose interest easily. Football is so complicated and I don't have all the rules and regulations memorized like John.

Thanks ladies for your wisdom on the supplements. It is good to have other opinions and oddly enough it is comforting to know there are healthy active women who go about life confidently without fussing about possible deficiencies. I feel good and I am active but of course, I need to be more active than I am. That work in progress thing....

Wildlife report! We saw a totally black squirrel run across our drive. We have never seen a black squirrel before. Ours are the Graybrown kind. We have a family of garden snakes that live under the steps to the garage. It is startling but I know they serve many benefits. They keep mice away and eat other undesirable creatures as well. So we coexist but it is a cautious coexistence. Like Anne, we decided to leave the garage door open when we saw it slither in that side garage door. We also have a resident brown bunny. That naughty rabbit eats my herbs. We have a huge black crow that sits on the fence gate and watches us as we have our coffee. He robs that suet bird feeder. There are the deer and a disturbing neighborhood cat that leaves dead mice on our doorstep. (?) this happens regularly. We are mystified why. Love country living!
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Really quick, as I just want to let you know we never got on the bus yesterday. There had been a fatal accident on the expressway the bus was using, so it arrived 1/2 hour late, during which we all stood outside waiting in the steamiest humidity I can recall. Mike kind of fell into bushes at one point, but I helped him get upright and he seemed OK. We saw the bus round the corner and everyone started to line up, and I suddenly realized Mike was no longer by my side. Scanning around, I realized the lump beside my feet was a very prone Mike, bleeding profusely from his forehead and side of his face. When tried talking to him, he was not responsive. Someone pressed an ALERT button and shortly the nurse was there, she would not move him due to bleeding from his head, but she summoned an ambulance, which came immediately. The rescue team checked his vitals and were going to take him to the ER, but I insisted on driving him to our doctor's office as the ER can be a 4 hour wait until one is seen by a doctor. He received 9 stitches in his left eyebrow, and his left side was badly scraped, and ribs hurt and we had a CAT scan taken and Xrays and were happy come home so he could rest. He'll be fine once he heals, and I think maybe he was dehydrated and fainted. Alas, he never got to go on the trip he looked forward to, but he should eventually feel better, and his dinner is being served up in our apartment until he's better. And that's my report. Also we had no phone or internet all day due to thunderstorms.
    <3 Buzz
    Options
    :( I hope Mike is resting now. Oh Buzz, wish I could help you. You are showing such strength, and I know it wears you out. Hope you'll be able to plan and make another trip. Love you!
    Patsy, the cat is 'presenting' you with a gift, a token.
    Phoebe
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Buzz so sorry! Poor Mike. Sounds like the steamy heat was just too much, with the bus delay and all.
    Patsy Phoebe is right, you are indeed honoured, and you are being presented with a gift from the cat. We are over-run with black squirrels, and grey squirrels, and small reddish squirrels, not to mention bunnies, opposums, raccoons, skunks, mice, chipmunks, coyotes, Mosquitos, and Harry from next door with his discarded bits and pieces down the side of his house. You would never believe I live in the middle of a town! I wonder what country living would be like!
    Anne
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,199 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Typing on my phone so a quick note to let you know I will not be home tomorrow. I decided I will go to the quilt show tomorrow and stop by the orchard on the way home.

If it rains I will have my rain jacket. Have my lunch ready to pack and will make some tea to take along.

Buzz - I am so sorry Mike fell and was injured. Hugs to you both.

Got to get some sleep. I am totally tired.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Oh Buzz not only another big worry over Mike but you missed the trip again. It seems to me it wasn't meant that you go just now but when the time is right it will happen. No doubt if dehydration caused his fall he still won't drink more fluids, some people when they get older just don't get the importance but hopefully he will go at a steady pace and say something if he feels he might fall.... I know, if only!! You sound as if you were incredibly calm through all this but am sure it must have been a terrible worry so lots of hugs coming your way from me. <3

Anne ~ I remember the fascination I had for Canadian black squirrels since we have so many greys that are driving out our delightful red variety. For all that, plans are afoot to gradually clear areas of the grey and reintroduce our native reds... they've already started on the Isles of Scilly, I think on Tresco.

Patsy ~ Lucky you to have a neighbouring cat that admires you so much. Next thing you know it will be trying to move in!!!

My car came through its annual test with flying colours which for an 8 year old is pretty good, no doubt helped by the previous "one lady owner". My food cupboards have been run down to next to nothing in an effort to clear older stock so I'm now going to head for the local smaller supermarket and then to the allotment for some tidying and hopefully collect a few beans and carrots. This evening is the start of a 6 week tournament for the Rugby World Cup being held in the UK so I'll be glued to the tv quite a bit and will cheer on the Canadian team as well as England especially for Anne!!

Happy Friday!
    Jackie
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Up early trying to get in my exercise because I goofed off yesterday. This exercise thing is a pain for me. I usually dread it but feel so much better afterward. I have read all the advice about doing something that you like so you will keep at it. Hahahaha and the crazy thing is I have yet to find that special exercise. So here I am pedaling away on my bike, lifting my little bar bell, and doing calisthenics. Then there is my yoga on Monday Wednesday and Friday.

Buzz: great Scott! What a scare! Dehydration is a problem I have as well. I can see that it would be critical in your warm climate. The thing that saves me is my own herb tea. I am constantly sipping on a cup of my peppermint or other herbs I grow. I hope you are able to find some relaxing movie or tv to help speed recovery. I am thinking you are pretty well pushed to the limit these days. Thinking of you, my friend. Wishing your Mike a speedy recovery.

Jackie: car repair and maintence is part of my everyday life. John is a natural car mechanic I believe. He loves to poke around under and in the motor of our cars. We have been married forever. I dated him in high school. He loved cars even as a teenager. I know! I saw this obsession early in our relationship. Oddly, he decided to be a college professor instead. But he still enjoys getting covered in oil and grease under a car.

We haven't seen "Blackie" the squirrel since that one day. They are rare around here in the Pacific Northwest.

Need coffee! Still have to do 20 minutes more on the bike.
    Patsy
  • Jacean245
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Jackie Rugby, lucky you! I used to go on the bus to matches on a Saturday quite often with my Dad! It was football or soccer with the husband of the day, but I preferred rugby. Hull City Early Birds. My dad covered my ears when the language got bad or eyes when someone lost their shorts in a scrum. Mind you I was only about 10 at the time! I'm so glad the little beautiful so English red squirrels are being reintroduced. Delightful little things of fairy stories.
    I don't care for exercise much either Patsy but I find the gentle half hour walk not bad at all, inside on icy days and around the house. In fact I would feel "wrong" now if I didn't do it and it sure gets rid of aches and pains from overnight sleep if done early.
    Anne
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Buzz - OMG hope Mike is feeling better now. Big hugs to you my dear.

Have to run but I'll read the rest of the messages later. Good wishes to all.

Cheers

Jeri
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Beautiful day . I have hundreds of reasons to be happy this morning. I am not worried about the scales anymore just about about my eating plan.. What a big relief to me. I cannot control those scales but I can control the food I put in my mouth. And that is what I am doing. Have a beautiful day
    Love Marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!! :) We had a big storm yesterday afternoon and it rained most of the night. The sun is out right now but more rain is expected. I am invited to Lisa's nephew's one year old birthday party tomorrow, so I do hope it is a nice day. I have dental cleaning this afternoon and after I think I will stop by and see Daisy. Babe went to an ear doctor yesterday and he said he has no sinus infection, that all his pain and dizziness is coming from his neck spurs. He will be going for pain management therapy starting Monday. He has gone before and it really helped him, so I hope it does again so he can stop being so miserable.

Buzz, what a terrible scare for you and Mike. I am sure he is in a lot of pain today and pretty bruised up. I wish we lived closer so we could all help you in your time of need, but you said your nursing staff is wonderful. It must have been God's Plan for you to move into your complex with all that has happened. Hang in there dear friend.

Marie, love you attitude, eating properly is more important than any scale.

Anne, your visuals are always so funny when describing different events in your life. I think you are the one who should write a book.

Patsy, like you, exercise is not what I consider fun and most of the time I have to talk myself into different activities. I do like to walk but after a while my back starts to hurt so it is no longer fun. Watching TV makes my bike more enjoyable, but some days I am just plan lazy. Robby will help keep me moving.

Jackie, you sound in great spirits, when do you start your radiation? I can see my son will be tied up with the Rugby World Cup, he loves soccer ever since he went to London on business years ago.

Lin, glad you are getting out for some fun, I hope the weather co operates.

Phoebe, how is Jim doing, but most important, how are you doing?

Have a great day!!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone from Cairo tonight. It was a nice /quiet day for me. Fridays are like that because I go to church and get to just relax for a few hours. the children did the program at church and it was delightful to hear them share their talks and songs with everyone. I really felt inspired after listening and watching them. children really have a special way of getting into your hearts.
    Oh Buzz, I was just on the edge of my couch as I read about Mike's fall and everything that happened to him and to you as you went from one place to the next until you finally ended up at home eating supper. Oh my goodness, How stressful and yet how calm and collected you sounded. You are such a wonderful support to him and he must be grateful as anything to have you in his life. It is so hard to watch our loved ones suffer because of things that happen on a daily basis. Darn that heat! I am sure that it was brought on because of waiting for that bus to arrive.
    Everyone else::: I also struggle to get out and do my exercises. I wanted to do a DVD today because on days that I don't swim I just plug in the DVD but today it would not work and I got so frustrated that I almost just went back to bed. I knew I'd hate myself if I did that so I proceeded to try to remember the routine on the DVD and just did it from memory. I stuck with it for the 30 minutes+ and worked up a sweat so that made me feel good. I lost a pound this week too so I am hoping that it will stay off forever. I keep drinking water and hope to wash it all down the drain. I have been good all week to record what I eat and not go over the limited amount of calories that I should eat to lose weight. Seems like the story of my life. Will this yo yo of gaining and losing ever end??? Not unless I stick to it like some of you role models in this group!!! Sandy, Lin, Barbie, Patsy, Phoebe, Anne, Jackie, Jeri and everyone else that I forgot to mention! I'm talking about all of you. and Shirley I am always impressed with your yoga sessions too and all the other things you do.
    Have a lovely day. Phyllis
  • CALIECAT
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I finally got a report from my heart doctor office. all of my test was normal. Hooray I was kind of concern about the stints in my legs after all of these falls I have been having. But all is fine. Day 5 for OA 3 meals a day. no snacks.

phylis this losing weiht is a battle

have beautiful day. make some one smile.......... now Smile for me..... Did you?
    Marie

Options
    vgsc8cpiemne.jpg

I won it! This is driver appreciation week. We went to our office today for lunch. Jim won a gift card and I won this! I have to charge it first. My fitbit was hard to charge, it didn't stay put to the connection. I sent the Jawbone back coz it kept dropping the Bluetooth connection. So now I have a new toy.
    Be back later, folding clothes before wrinkles.
    Phoebe