Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Mike slept through the craziest movie they ever showed here, 'The Hundred Year Old Man". What a spoof! DH is feeling achy and tired today, and so am I, so maybe it's the weather. My neck-and-shoulder deltoid area are so sharply painful, and I think it feels worse when I'm working on Sudoku Must be the way I tilt my head!
    JACKIE, Love the shots of the moors and George, and am trying to figure out the cats; is Hebe a female? So lovely.
    SANDY, like PHOEBE, I want to know what's doing with Babe's daughter! Love your neighborhood get-together. My eldest DD has one every summer or fall, when her entire hill gets together! And yes, the lady who fell was on the bus we would have been on had we gone. Another spry 91 year old broke an arm playing bocce! Falling should be everyone's worst fear, and we have classes on prevention, but Mike and I haven't joined yet!
    PHOEBE, I certainly do get your message, and thoroughly agree! No more travel. Hope your Aunt appreciates your concern, and let us know how JIM is doing please.
    Oh, that 6 pounds is finally off again after regaining some. But they had eggs benedict for breakfast today and I succumbed! We'll check tomorrow!
    <3 Buzz
    The movie tonight is Aloha, and I never miss anything to do with Hawaii!
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Good evening. Haven't felt so good lately, but I think I'm on the mend. Of course, I now feel a bit overwhelmed trying to catch up with everything. For our group here, I started by making sure I didn't miss any of the pictures! I love seeing the grandchildren (don't think I will have any to show for a long, long time), the outdoor pictures (I want to visit these beautiful sites), and best of all the garage. Wow. I've been inspired. We have been working to get everything in order and we have made great progress. But the garage pictures encouraged me to forge ahead to complete the tidying task!

Wishing everyone an amazing and blessed week!
    Marcella
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,199 Member
    Options
    Hello friends. Unlike so many of you I am tired and it looks like I will not get to everything I was hoping to accomplish tonight. After church today I got my food items together and went to a party for our 2-block long cul-de-sac. I didn't think I'd stay long but I did stay until a number of people started making moves to break things up.

Phoebe - I have no herbs and have no garden. Just some foundation planting in front and a few daylilies on one side of my house that gets a lot of sun.

Falling asleep.........

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good morning sneakers. A wet walk this morning in thick fog although as we headed back to the car park it did start to lift and now the sun is trying to break through. This afternoon I'm attending the funeral of a dear neighbour who recently passed away at our local hospital after a long illness. He was the sort of man that would do anything for anyone and we would always stop for a chat when we saw each other. He loved country music and would have a cd playing loudly in his car so everyone would know Ron was on his way so I'm sure that's what we'll hear at the end of the service. A dear man that I'm already missing. My favourite bantam Squeak wasn't at all well yesterday so after a short spell in the house to see if warmer air would help I decided she was going to die so popped her back in the chicken run on a piece of matting to keep her off the damp ground, then watched as the other hens sat round her and then took turns to keep her company throughout the day. Her "daughter" Daisy snuggled up and chatted to her before I put them all to bed and although I was hoping she would have passed on by morning she is still with us. Before Mr Fox began his visits she used to strut around my garden and then fly on to my shoulder when I did some gardening so she should get closer to my face for a chat! She is such a dear pet I can';t bring myself to help her on her way but she isn't suffering so I'll let her go naturally. Here she is on the left with her sister Bubble who unfortunately died a few years ago.
    P1000529.jpg
    Downton began its last series yesterday but I'm afraid as ever, I was asleep within 20 minutes and woke up just in time to catch the last 10 minutes so can't report what might have happened!!

Sandy ~ If Babe is having yet another trauma with his kids perhaps Mass would be the better option for him to clear his head and rearrange his priorities! The picnic idea your neighbour was organising sounded a great idea and I hope you had an enjoyable time catching up with everyone. There's just the 2 cats in that photo so I think you are imagining Boris' thick coat is another feline!!

Phoebe ~ Perhaps belts and braces is another English saying? Think of a man using a belt to hold his trousers up but then chosing to wear braces as well (straps that clip front and back then sit over shoulders) and we use that term when referring to doing more than is necessary in a task. Did you get to visit your aunt. That must be such a worry when she won't answer the phone or pick up messages but I'm sure understandable considering her mental health.

Shirley ~ It seems you had a lovely weekend with your friends and certainly mooching around the shops and enjoying a good lunch sounds better to me than fighting the elements on Lake Ontario, something I did once on a friends yacht as a storm appeared from nowhere and decided never again!!

Buzz ~ Do you think perhaps those aches are caused by the tension you must have been feeling during and after Mike's fall? It might be worth seeking out a massage to ease your neck. If I lived in your complex I'd be twice the weight I am today what with so many temptations on offer daily!! Yes, little Hebe on the right of my cat photo is female and very sweet. She had to have her left eye removed last year after a scrap with a strange cat that hung around for a few weeks but it doesn't seem to bother her at all.

Marcella ~ Sorry to read you haven't been feeling particularly well and hope you're on the mend. Lin's tidy garage terrifies me because I know that would be the ideal way to organise everything but know I'd never keep it that way and then, goodness, wouldn't I feel bad!!

Lin ~ That must have been an enjoyable party for you to stay until others began to move off so hopefully you met some nice neighbours that perhaps you can visit more often than an annual event.

Time for me to get some housework done before going off to the funeral. It's being held in a small church in a village just 2 miles away so at least I've not got a journey ahead of me, just a few sheep to avoid on a section of moorland I don't often visit.

Enjoy your Monday everyone.
    Jackie
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Sad day Jackie. So very sorry.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Jackie sad to hear of the loss of a good neighbor and friend. We can only hope we've learned from his example. You are so special to me, I love your love for critters. Sad about your little lady, they are pretty, aren't they? Hope you are OK.
    Anne good to hear from you
    Phoebe
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I went out to the track and did some jogging this morning. Haven't been out there for a while.I've done my dvd and the 3 days a week swimming routine so it was good to shake it up a little.
    Came home and made a turkey casserole with some turkey that I had in the freezer and glad to have that used up.
    Supposed to be going to a wedding tonight. Hope that my husband will be up to going out. He has been on the run all day from one end of Cairo to the other and that alone can wear a person out.
    Better get busy.
    Phyllis
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    vbng1evqe036.jpg
    so sorry Jackie for your friend
    Marie
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Hello everybody, we've had such a lot of bad news on the sneakers just lately, either with loved ones, friends - human and furry/feathery and family that it's difficult almost to be positive at times, and thank goodness for all the lovely photos, human and furry/feathery to cheer us all up.
    So, on a positive note, whilst Lin was riding a fire engine or following it and Marie was lassoing steers? I had most of our little family over yesterday. Well it started with Mike and Sandy and delightful happy little puppy Cinders. Sandy is a shopper. She finds bargains and so is the perfect DIL for someone on a pension to go shopping with. Mike was assigned the pet stores where one can take ones pooch, whilst Sandy and I headed for Winners. I did find bargains too. Top brand large white fluffy towels which I needed, and a gorgeous Italian fruit bowl, almost like the one Mary Jo had dropped earlier and a third of my originals price! I was indeed happy until I spotted a gorgeous Italian silk blouse, it was half its original price at $400!!!!!!! Goodbye to gorgeous blouse alas, but Sandy found some top brand walking shoes for only $26! The joy of having tiny feet, nothing for Anne and her daisy crushers!
    We came home, happy, but exhausted to find Mark on a ladder sanding down and putting primer on the double garage door and side door. Mary Jo was up another ladder pruning trees! The outcome of course was us all ending up exhausted, including Cinders who was exhausted running around with huge fallen apples. So big for her tiny mouth she had to "fetch" holding the stalks.
    Now, we had no string to bundle the branches and they got left on the grass until I found some this morning. So here I am on my second exhausted day, cutting and bundling whilst the two culprits who started all the work have merrily gone to their places of work. Bonus, spotted a beautiful black and white woodpecker on the shorn tree!
    Not really complaining friends, I know I'm blessed.
    So that was my Sunday, just got a bit of ironing to do and I can settle down with my book.
    Bye, Anne.
    Options
    Anne, that sounds like a wonderful weekend! You are blessed with great family. Congrats on your bargains, I love bargains too, but I don't shop as much as I once did, except online. I'll be back later.
    Phoebe
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hello dear ones! All is well here in Oregon. Partly sunny with a few showers. Our son came for thebweek me. Of course he brought his doggies. Our old girls are delighted when the youngsters come to visit. They run around outside-inside, up-down stairs constantly. The oldies are in total nap mode for at least a day or two. Me too! Have sheets and towels to launder.

This is spider season here. John hates to do any whole sale eradification. But spiders and I have a war going on. Stay out of my house...get off my flowers.
    Dryer says laundry is dry!
    Patsy
  • linder4866
    Options
    Jackie sad to hear of the loss of a good neighbor and friend. We can only hope we've learned from his example. You are so special to me, I love your love for critters. Sad about your little lady, they are pretty, aren't they? Hope you are OK.
    Anne good to hear from you
    Phoebe

I echo Phoebe's comments Jackie. I am so sorry. :'(

Lin
  • linder4866
    Options
    Anne, that sounds like a wonderful weekend! You are blessed with great family. Congrats on your bargains, I love bargains too, but I don't shop as much as I once did, except online. I'll be back later.
    Phoebe

And chiming in here as well. I love bargains but do a lot of online shopping these days but I do go to some local stores as well. Glad you found some good deals. Your home is going to be totally fixed up well before winter hits.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,138 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Happy Monday!! :) I had a good day with Robby and the weather was beautiful so we went for a mile walk. He is starting to say lots of words and I spend most of my day smiling. Lisa's parents will take him tomorrow since they are leaving Wednesday, they asked if I would mind. I know they will miss him something terrible.

Lin, I too, do most of my shopping online and especially love Amazon. Hope you got some rest after your busy weekend.

Patsy, sounds like your weekend was great with all the doggies. I hate spiders, along with mice, my two worse fears.

Phoebe, I love bargains also, always look for sales when buying anything. How is Jim?

Anne, another great weekend for another sneaker, I am not a shopper but I am glad you had such a good time with your DIL. With you, even though the $400 was reduced to half price, I would have walked away.
    I hope you got your branches bundled but did it with caution. You work too hard.

Marie, you have been posting some good recipes on Facebook, glad you are happy.

Phyllis, you do work hard on your exercising, you must be in great shape. Have fun at the wedding.

Jackie, when it rains it pours, you have been getting hit with lots of bad news lately. I am so sorry about your friend and hope the funeral gives you some closure and fond memories. I am also sorry about Squeak and like Phoebe, love how you love each of your animals and give them such loving care. Babe is in such a mood lately that he has no desire to go to Church, I think he is "mad" at God. It took him over 30 years to realize he has been enabling his daughter so he has no one to blame but himself.

Marcella, sorry you haven't felt well, but happy to hear you are on the mend.

Buzz, sorry you and Mike were both achy and hope today is better. You might have hurt yourself with trying to help him when he fell. My neck and shoulder bother me occasionally because I sit at my desktop too long.
    Shortened version: Babe has been paying his 53 year old married daughter mortgage since the day he bought her the house in his name. He remodeled it last year for $125K and helped them with a bankruptcy and the IRS which they didn't file taxes for a couple of years. He sends her money whenever she asks because she is bipolar/schizophrenic. His son has convinced him that she has been taking advantage of him all these years and now Babe realizes how much money he has given her all these years. She has 15 cats and ten birds, her husband makes 80K and she colect $1200 a month disability and they still are in $18K of debt. He realizes she has been lying to him about financial things (something I tried to tell him when we were together) and wants to wash his hands of everything. He is angry right now so I know most of what he is saying he will not follow through.
    She made the remark that the only things she love are her animals and her house. He can't believe she would put those things before family. Sorry my shortened version isn't very short is it?
    No need to respond, I feel the exact same way as you do about the whole situation.

Shirley, yes I am staying out of everything except to listen to Babe complain. I am glad you also had a great weekend with friends.

One last thing in the Babe saga.....his son is going for a big test tomorrow. They are doing a scope of his stomach and other organs. Babe is worried about cancer, but then he always goes to the worst scenario.

To end on a happy note, I am sharing another picture I took of Robby. His smile just melts my heart.
    jop4vdof6imf.jpg

Have a great day, sorry this post is so long.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Jackie: just wanted to add that I understand your sadness about your lovely hen being sick. We have had chickens in the past and it is startling for people to realize what amazing creatures they are. They understand so much more than one would suspect. My special hen was a Rhode Island Red. She wais beautiful and funny and showed a preference for me. I named her Penny, of course.

I am a terrible shopper. I only like shopping in art supply catalogues. I usually never get or find the good bargains. I make a list and where to find what I need and go get it. DONE! It must be in ones genes to find lovely bargains.

Lin: yes! We have had problems since we upgraded on our iPads. What a mess. Fiddling around for hours drives me crazy. Our son always fixes us up in just a few minutes. He must get annoyed at our lack of understanding of these devices. So far he is quite patient and attentive. Clearly we are not getting any better at figuring out these hang Ups!

Phoebe: hope your Jim is doing well. This is such a huge life style change. My husband hates and refuses to acknowledge that he might not be able to do what he has always done. Oxygen? Who needs oxygen! Men are truely from another planet, like they say. Bless their little pointy heads!

On to more laundry!
    Patsy
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Well I hit that button twice now on my tablet and lost my post.

I too am an on line shopper lately. I just ordered two pair of pants from Sears
    for Fall and winter. I do like to see new things and browse around.

Just a short note to say Jackie, sorry about your friend passing he will be out
    of pain since he had such a long illness. A tough time for everybody <3 Also
    I hope your chick goes in peace. So hard when they are a part of the family.
    I never knew chickens were so attentive to people.

Sandy - Great picture of Robby, he is growing like a weed. Such a cutie!
    Isaac is going to another Blue Jays game (baseball) his third game already.
    We sent baby pictures of our Kathy (his mom)to her I couldn't believe how
    much he looks like her at this age.

Anne - Sounds like you had a great weekend with family. Also got some
    work done on your house and garden. Kudos!

Phyllis - Changing things up with exercise, I do most weeks so I don't get bored.
    Great planning on your exercise.

Marcella - I hope you feel better soon. :)

Shirley
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Just me, a very confused me! Mind you I'm often confused. It's just that I've lost my old MFP format and this is something different so I'm not even sure you will all read this missile. If you don't hear from me for awhile, I'm still "out here". I can only guess that the new owners are 'updating'? I wish they would leave things alone if so, for folk like me - SENIOR Sneakers might be a clue! Sigh, Anne.
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    We bought the pedal boat yesterday. Our community has a lake and lots of big hills, well Georgia size mountains. So, the boat owners live at the kind of lakefront home that is built on a hill and the house is near the top. So it's a looong way down steep steps to the lake. That's where the boat is, at the bottom, by the lake. So I start down the steps and think, you nut! You'll never get back up them! So, Jim and Wes, the owner went. My Jim is a chatterbox, so about 30 minutes later they returned without a boat. Wes was concerned about Jim carrying the boat. So, we'll get it next weekend when Wes will get someone to help him carry it up. Too bad, this week would have been perfect weather on the lake. Of course, I could descend the steps and launch the boat and pedal into oblivion or until I made it to the boat launch, which, of course, is the other side of the lake.
    Sandy, Jim is doing very well, having managed that ascent with lots of huffing and puffing! He's had a lazy day to make up for it. The first thing he said when we left their house, I'd Never buy a house like that, WHEW! I, the practical head on my shoulders, agreed. I remember a couple I knew that had a house very similar to Wes' home. They reached the point where they couldn't manage the stairs and installed a chair escalator. It's that or sell your home. So we are in our little home amongst the whopper homes, and happy about it. I guess my first boat trip will be next year.
    I feel like I've written a book.
    See you later!
    Phoebe
    Options
    Anne, when I tried to get to the Sneakers last week, it was the same for me. Fortunately, I hadn't cleared my history, and got here by an old link, and then I just kept advancing the pages.
    Phoebe
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    PHOEBE, you had me giggling at your boat story! You'll love it next year!
    JACKIE, hugs for your sorrow re: Ron and your pet chick!
    SANDY, The saga of Babe and his nutty kids. But does the old saying still go...about the nuts don't fall far from the tree? He used to be such a sweet man! write a novella, sweetie; no one will believe it!
    Sorry you are feeling poorly , Marcella. Chin up!
    LIN, not like you to be tired. Hope you are alright
    Must get to sleep. I think my pain pills are making me dopey! ANNE, PATSY, SHIRLEY, and MARIE, you are al in my thoughts, as well. Just cannot sit any longer!
    <3 Buzz