Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Lovely story Phoebe. Well this nut did clear her history, so here I am getting used to the new format......I think. Actually if I can get used to it, it ain't half bad. At least the print is a little clearer and larger. In the process though, an email I sent by the normal mail apparently never made it. Not sure about that. Well I'm not going to press my luck so bye everybody. Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Ron's funeral went well and began with his coffin being wheeled in to the song "Happiness" which goes Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift that I possess so had me smiling before it really got going. The little church was packed, the sun shone and I was just pleased to be able to go out of respect and say my goodbyes. Little Squeak is still with me and surprised me after my weekly swim by coming out of the hen house to look for something to eat and drink. She seems unable to put one foot down but that might just be because she lay on it for such a long time and I'm still anticipating her end sooner rather than later but delighted she still has some fight in her.

Anne ~ A couple of times I've been struggling to get on to the sneakers page and get a message telling me the site is unable to complete my request so I think you're right, someone is fiddling in the background!!

Patsy ~ I think it's only by keeping a few hens that anyone could appreciate what amazing little creatures they are, bright, smart and ever so loyal. Shopping is my least favourite thing to have to do so food shopping is done very early in the morning when there's few other people in the store and I can whiz round quickly and get out without hassle!!

Buzz ~ Never dopey!! Just a bit sleepy and that's not a bad thing since I'm sure you need to rest.

Sandy ~ You've no doubt tried a million times to put Babe right in the way he deals with his kids but as you say, he's the only one to blame and put things right.

Shirley ~ The way your post was formed made me think you'd written a nice long poem for us but then nothing seemed to rhyme!!

Phoebe~ What a job to get to your boat only to find you couldn't!! Is your pedal boat the sort we see at leisure parks because I'm thinking what great exercise although you'd get enough of that just dealing with all those steps!

I promised myself some dusting and also to wash down the shower room this afternoon before meeting my friend and her Scruff for a walk on the moor at 6pm. It's going to be chilly as we have a northerly wind blowing but wrapped up I think it will be lovely so long as we keep moving!

Jackie
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    What a lovely way to be remembered, JACKIE! May your friend be forever remembered as "Mr. Happiness"!! It's delightful to think that Little Squeak is beating the odds :) ...Is she still laying eggs? I always enjoy your commentaries, dear friend across the pond!
    ANNE, not quite certain what email has to do with this site, but hooray that it appears to have straightened out for you!
    Lots around here I must take care of, and slowing down hasn't helped much. Just hung up after speaking to our former neighbors who now live at another facility close by. I count our blessings when listening to friends with serious back and joint problems! I had hoped to get together, but health interferes. I keep hearing more and more about cold laser therapy, and I believe it has helped stop progression of my leg condition (Lipodermatosclerosis !!!) by softening the fibrotic tissues even the government website says is incurable! My legs improved months after treatment (for something else) stopped, and I'm trying to figure out how to inform some research group that it worked for me!!! To me, it's a miracle! I told these friends about several people here who swear by the laser treatments they are receiving for their backs after surgery etc. failed! Anyway, must run...
    <3 Buzz
  • phyljen
    phyljen Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Off to our beach house early tomorrow morning. Be back on Saturday.
    Have a good week end everyone.
    Phyllis
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,192 Member
    Options
    Hello Sneakers – taking a few minutes to write with the hope that the Internet will stay connected for a while! I have been doing little things around the house and made a trip to the library and to Whole Foods before lunch. I’ve been walking around the house and am eyeing some more things I might want to pack up for Goodwill. Or I can take some things to our Younkers store and get discount coupons for each clothing item I bring in. Or I can wait a while!!

I need one more thing to get started on my next task. (I know, I never finish anything do I? Ha.) But I do need to get to sorting and organizing paperwork which has taken over the house. What I really need is a good 4-drawer file cabinet for the basement so I can have some more organized storage than just the little plastic totes with the handles on the top. But I want a good one. I had one when I was married and it was flimsy and the drawers did not work well and were quite frustrating. I’ve been looking online at office supply stores, Costco, Amazon, etc. and haven’t found one with consistently good reviews and seemingly many of them arrive damaged and dented. So if anyone has just the right thing---please share with me! Thanks.

Patsy – I want to thank you again for your response on my news feed post. I appreciate the level of thought you put into responses. Hugs! And on your earlier post, I hope you are avoiding the spiders. I don’t care for them at all and if they cross my path I will try to eliminate rather than relocate. I have updates pending on both my iPad and my iPhone now and I am making no move right now to install either of them. I am not in the mood to end up at the Apple store in that crowd of people needing help.

Sandy – loved the picture of Robby. What a sweetheart. As to Babe and his daughter, I really do not know what to say. He does seem to have more than his share of problems with family. I am sorry about that but you are a wise woman to stay away from all that drama.

Phoebe – congratulations on your new purchase. That is wonderful. I had no idea you were in the market for a pedal boat. That sounds like FUN!!! I’m glad there will be help to get it moved!

Buzz – I hope you got some rest. But on your comment, I do often get tired. I am a low energy person—always have been but I am trying to kick up my activity more so have been getting about 20,000 steps a day and I had dropped back to about 10,000 a day. And I am standing much more. Getting tired is a good thing—I should sleep better. I hope your day is going well. And so happy to hear that the therapy worked for you.

Anne – I am not seeing anything different at all on MFP but I have not cleared out any history from any device so maybe that’s it?

Jackie – the funeral service sounds as perfect as it could be. I am happy for that. And I hope Little Squeak continues to do well. Dusting and cleaning—you are very dedicated to doing the things you should be doing. I hope your walk was delightful.

Phyllis – enjoy your time at the beach house.

Marcella – are you feeling better now? Have I missed your posts? I hope you are on the mend.

Shirley – I forget, when do you leave for the last sail of the season?

Marie – I hope you are okay. Haven’t heard much from you lately.

Time to get up and get moving. Hugs to everyone and sorry for everyone I’ve missed.

Lin
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Hi Buzz the email did get delivered after all even though I was told it couldn't be. Hovering I guess somewhere up in the clouds. So apologies to MFP. I'm holding my breath that Jackies little Squeak is still with us. Jackies right Patsy you have to keep chickens to realize what super pets they can be. Our favourite, a Rhode Island Red named Monica Mary was with us for years and years. Absolutely unthinkable to put her in a stew pot! She stopped laying at 5 years old and lived to be nine. I'm getting used to this new format and to be honest, am beginning to like it. You can teach old cats new tricks after all!
    Anne
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Maybe not so hot at this new stuff after all. How did I manage to bold EVERYTHING! Back to the drawing board, lol.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Sandy your post are never too long.

hey I got out o that OA group. The ask me to edit my post and and told me take out cake. the word Said it was a trigger word. well I did not. take it out I just took me out. I was sure I would do it again for I am so used to taking about food.the word cake is not a trigger food now if it was in my house the cake it would be a trigger food. I would keep eating on it till it was all gone. Crazy
    Marie

• Jacean245
    Options
    Me again, LIN, re your storage search for files and bills and office stuff. I found a lovely solid wood 5 drawer chest of drawers. Got it for a song. I think it was really for the bedroom and socks and sweater storing. However it makes a really elegant filing cabinet in my back room "office". Much nicer than a metal filing cabinet for upstairs. Will try and post a picture, but maybe not being new on this. Anne.

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Lin, have you looked at office depot?? I bought all my office furniture there and love it.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    delraybuzz wrote: »
    What a lovely way to be remembered, JACKIE! May your friend be forever remembered as "Mr. Happiness"!! It's delightful to think that Little Squeak is beating the odds :) ...Is she still laying eggs? I always enjoy your commentaries, dear friend across the pond!
    ANNE, not quite certain what email has to do with this site, but hooray that it appears to have straightened out for you!
    Lots around here I must take care of, and slowing down hasn't helped much. Just hung up after speaking to our former neighbors who now live at another facility close by. I count our blessings when listening to friends with serious back and joint problems! I had hoped to get together, but health interferes. I keep hearing more and more about cold laser therapy, and I believe it has helped stop progression of my leg condition (Lipodermatosclerosis !!!) by softening the fibrotic tissues even the government website says is incurable! My legs improved months after treatment (for something else) stopped, and I'm trying to figure out how to inform some research group that it worked for me!!! To me, it's a miracle! I told these friends about several people here who swear by the laser treatments they are receiving for their backs after surgery etc. failed! Anyway, must run...
    <3 Buzz

Buzz, not that you have any spare time, but maybe you should start a blog, inviting all of your friends near and far to read along and catch up on your happenings. That way, if you include the contact information, or a link to a website, you could give the information on your treatment. Just a thought.

Options
    This day is gone!! I slept late, and the cats let me.. or at least I managed to ignore their cries for me to get up!
    Just getting a little bit done today.. refilling medicines, printing return labels. Now to get to the ups store to drop off the return. That kind of day feels pretty good, but it seems wasteful.
    Jackie, so glad Squeak is still with us.. who knows?
    Sandy, have you been busy today?
    Lin, I immediately thought of 1) be sure to place your filing cabinet on a raised surface just in case of flooding. 2) how nice a heavy wooden filing cabinet would be compared to the dented metal ones. I had a two drawer once that was exposed to dampness, but not wet floors, and it rusted. I have another one that I have forgotten all about, haven't checked it for rust.. I'll put it on my list.
    Yes, I've wanted a pedal boat forever, so when the price was right, and I didn't even go looking for it, I decided to give it a go. There were at least 5 of the little phone number tabs pulled off of the flyer, and I was surprised that we actually got there first. I hope I can manage it myself to put it into the pickup truck. I think it will take some practice, and then I'll be able to do it. it weighs about 115 pounds. I wouldn't be actually lifting the whole thing, just one end of it, then sliding it into the truck bed, and backing the truck down the boat launch ramp, then sliding it into the water. I'll be able to jump into the water, climb in using the rope ladder, after I get one... I'll wait til the boat is here so I can make sure it attaches securely. All the years we've lived here, 25, and I've never been on the lake!! just at the edge, walking, wading in etc. I never wanted to own a boat because of all the maintenance involved.
    It is almost 6pm, going to shower and drop off my boxes. whew, this day flew!!
    Jim is fine, he has been in and out of the house today. His oxygen levels are steady, which is great. His pulse is still a bit high, but I'll let the doctors worry about it.
    Anne, your bold print looks good, so don't worry if you can't get rid of it, lol.
    Marie, that is odd, but I can see the point but my goodness, seems a bit extreme. I guess there are some people who cannot hear or see the word without it weakening their resolve. I can understand that though, I do see delicious images when I think that word lol
    Phoebe
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    This morning's walk caught the best of today's weather so we had great fun wandering high on to the moor but looking out for any wandering sheep because little Scruff has decided they could be fun to chase.... fine until any farmer sees her and then it would be bang, bang!! A good load of washing is out on the rotary line and I'm about to give my kitchen a good clean before settling down to a couple of rugby matches. Little Squeak is still with us and although keeping off one leg is looking a bit brighter after a long drink of water and a handful of sweetcorn. She's still moulting which takes energy out of her but I'm hoping lots of TLC will see her through this.

Buzz ~ When hens lose their feathers in an annual moult they stop laying because of their lack of energy but before this incident she was still popping out one or two a week so even for an old girl she was doing brilliantly! I hadn 't heard of cold laser therapy so did a google search and see it's widely used for a variety of health issues, on pets as well as humans and I do know that any sort of treatment in the UK has to go through vigorous testing before being marketed and it seems to have good results whatever it's being targeted at. Like all these things, there will be good results and not so good but more often than not it's the negative aspects that get the most publicity!

Phoebe ~ How brave to get yourself this paddle boat but I have images of you heading out into a huge lake so do please wear a life jacket! When I lived in Canada a boyfriend and I would head for the lakes at the weekend where he had a cottage and very early in the morning, the best time of day, I'd set off in a tiny inflatable dinghy paddling out to the centre of Lake Huron without a care in the world and never thought of the consequences should a puncture occur.... lived to tell the tale though!!

Marie ~ That's a new thing, a trigger word and as you say, you want to discuss what you're eating and how well you're doing without worrying that someone has rushed off to their cupboard for a slab of something naughty!! You could try typing the words "self control" and see if that has an affect on anyone's resolve! Stick with us love, we can deal with chat about cakes, bean casseroles and even Anne's egg and bacon pie!!

Lin ~ My only advice on the purchase of any filing cabinet is to do what I was told when buying my greenhouse.... think of the size you want and then add quite a bit more because you'll soon fill it!! A friend purchased one recently that cost her about £300 but it was from a store called John Lewis that is posher than posh!!

Phyllis ~ Enjoy that beach house, sounds devine!!

Off to tidy and clean my kitchen before a tuna and avocado salad..... how's that for trigger words, yummy and healthy!

Jackie
  • Jacean245
    Options
    My goodness Marie, CAKE a trigger word! Are the folks against the word ancestors of people from the French Revolution as in when poor Marie Antoinette, when told the people had no bread, she innocently asked, "well, can't they eat cake" and look what happened to her! Off with the poor woman's head! You could get really inventive with a substitute for the dreaded CAKE word. As in, "today I had a small piece of fluffy, chocolate THINGIE that I'm not allowed to mention in case it upsets you all" etc.
    Jackie, little Squeak is still with us! DELIGHTED!. I shall think of her and the eggs she provides the next time I guiltily eat a piece of bacon and egg pie. I only had a small piece, honest, and gave the rest away! Golly, if we ban all trigger words the English language will be at a loss! She had a "strawberry and cream complexion", or a "muffin top" "a beer belly" "you can't have your cake and eat it, etc. etc.
    Phoebe, a paddle boat, how wonderful! I too shall think of you heading into the sunrise. Do wear a life jacket though, unless it's the sort of lake water than only comes up to your knees! I once went on one of those paddle boats with a swans neck and head at the front and it was that sort of shallow "lake" me being a cowardly custard. Help! Trigger word again!
    Well, I didn't BOLD anything after the recent disastrous result you will all notice!
    Bye everybody from Anne with her tongue in her cheek instead of ****.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) Robby up from his nap, Babe coming with some supplies, meeting at 4:30 followed by bingo. Just checking in to say hi!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,192 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hello friends - home from my errands and I did purchase a 4-drawer file cabinet that is extra deep. Black and the display model was good. Drawers glided well and open and shut tightly. Liked it quite well and the store gave me the online sale price. I bought it and have my dear handyman lined up to get it from the store to my house. So thank you for all the hints and advice and I cannot believe I ended up purchasing this at the combined OfficeMax/Office Depot store just a few miles from me. What great luck. And Phoebe, I did look at the wood cabinets and the ones I saw were either particle board or out of my price range. I have good level floor in my basement and will talk to my handyman about the water/moisture issue. I have a safe down there that is bolted to the floor so I have lots at risk anyway. Hopefully a sump pump and a battery back-up sump pump will keep my basement dry. Fingers crossed!

Marie, I know some OA groups have very tight guidelines on what words can be used but I cannot believe a generic word like cake was prohibited and if it was why didn't they just remove the post and let you know, gently, what is and what is not allowed? I was in that group and I left the group after you told me that. You can say anything you want here. Unless of course MFP bleeps us!!

Jackie, what a lovely walk and I am happy dear Squeak is doing okay for now. You seem to be getting more accomplished that I am these days! My bad.

Sandy, enjoy bingo. Big jackpot still in play right?

Anne, did you get all the remains of the project cleaned up? I imagine you did since you are so energetic!

Time to check on my lunch. Delicious smell of roasting vegetables in here which is driving me mad!! Want.To.Eat.

Hugs to everyone.

Lin
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    :in I was ask very nicely to edit my post and delete Cake But That's beside the point. I did not want to have to be that careful Of what I say I am still looking for a Gluten free group
    I try to post a picture of my Spanish rice I had for lunch but it turned out blurry and Way to big so I deleted it.
    Sandy is there anyway to fixed it?
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    oh Jackie you and Anne what a pair. Love you two
    Options
    Yes, Marie, they keep us smiling, and sometimes guessing what they are saying :p .
    I managed to leave the house, lol, that's the first step! Getting an oil change now, little errands to do.
    Yay, Jim just called, he wants Chinese for dinner, good. No cooking for me. I just had a late lunch, so won't need anything else except fruit.
    He is doing great, but I do wish he would take up walking. So far, he would rather just do house chores, which need doing, so, I don't want to fuss. Tomorrow is his appt with the pulmonologist. He is supposed to return to his primary care physician on October 5. We shall see, he may be able to go sooner.
    Marie, I had a funny dream with you and i going to Denny's. They had Four Pages of desserts on their menu, lol. Don't remember how many were cake! In the dream, you moved the tractor trailer to a better parking place while I was in the bathroom! Hahaha!
    Phoebe
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Lin - I am on the sailing trip as we speak. We are at a port in the US which was only a 2 hour sail from our club.
    The weather here is fantastic and warm. A great way to end the season. We are going out for dinner later with our
    friends and will be walking there and back. We are only here until Friday and then heading back.

Kathy and Fraser and Isaac were supposed to come for a visit on Saturday but Isaac is cutting his second tooth and
    kind of miserable so they will come another time. :( I have a large gift to give her from our friends who stayed
    at our house last weekend. I guess it will wait for awhile.

Trying to stay course on South Beach until I get home. See you in a few days and I will check in so your posts
    don't run away from me. Will comment another time.

Shirley