Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Just a thought Lin, I had blood when I blew my nose too, I ended up on an antibiotic and now all is well.

Thanks for the compliments on little Isaac, he has 6 teeth already.

Don't forget Downton Abby tonight for all you watchers!

Shirley
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,185 Member
    Options
    Shirley, my nose bleeds regularly when I have to blow my nose. Every week. Sometimes I get dripping blood from my nose. It's just something that happens year-round. And I do have a whole house humidifier on my furnace and it's no different in the summer.

I know, I'm going to watch the new Galivant at 7pm and Downton at 8pm..........
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Lin, I don't know what Galivant is. I'll Google it.
    I was wondering if you use a neti pot? That unpetroleum jelly is good to rub inside your nose. I do that when mine is dry and bleeding.
    My new recipe tasted good to me but not so much to Jim. No surprise there. So I have plenty of leftovers! Maybe freeze it.
    I'm not in a downton mood so I'll record it for later. I bought a kindle book and want to go over it, probably do that tonight. Have to leave early in the morning to get my windshield replaced. A rock hit it and it split. Reading makes me sleepy.
    Night
    Phoebe
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    bukk0tgcw5ne.jpg
    There are two things I do most with my Smartphone. First talk on the phone using my blue tooth headphones so my hands are free to fold laundry, wash dishes, or walk the dogs, Second listen to audio books while I walk the dogs, drive the car, or do chores.....I can use my blue tooth headphones for listening to audio books while walking or doing chores. Even so, I loved the cartoons.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    most all the things I cook Jerry don't eat. I just eat on it till its all gone. then make another batch of something. The grandson went home today./Alice and i will go out there next Sunday Sunday to see to see him.Today i made a big batch of veggies soup. It will last about 3 days.

lin hope you ave a good night sleep. You might need to see a doctor i had a nose bleed about 3 wweeks ago. But just the one time.

Going to bed. Good night.
    Marie
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I had a lovely day with family and Cinders was remarkably well behaved, but probably because I lifted all my plants off the floor and put them on the table in the back north facing room. The geraniums are still alive if a little spindly. After everyone had gone I settled down to TRY and watch Downton Abbey, and I really TRIED girls but shortly after lady what'sit fell off her horse and emerged from a puddle somewhat muddy like JACKIE'S George (serve her right for chasing little foxes) I just gave up and watched an old episode of Dr. Who. Something about shop mannequins coming alive, much more entertaining for my bird like brain! I think I stopped developing at the age of ten, alas.

Today is the perfect day to stay in and do the washing. It's minus 10 right now, perfect weather to make one inclined more towards washing the linen than stepping outside to smell the roses. Fancy, I wore my boots for the first time yesterday! Usually I don them much earlier than this season.

The Vaseline lightly coated inside the nose helps me enormously during these dry winter months AND seems to prevent one catching others colds and flu when in the crowded malls. Just have a good blow when one gets home. One or two of us swear by this, and I rarely catch colds. There, I've said it and tempted fate, now some malignant force will give me a doozy of a cold.

Well I suppose I will have to shake myself and love you and leave you,
    Anne.

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) Went to bed at 10:30, was still awake at 1:00, alarm went off at 6:30. Robby is here and so darn cute he is worth losing sleep. I will adjust again, especially when he is here 5 days, for now just two. Doing laundry, cleaning girl coming later and a shower when Robby takes his nap which is once a day now. Will try to get back later.

Have a great day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    SANDY, thank you for sharing that collection of cartoons. I had wanted to submit it here, but hadn't a clue about how to do it! So I really depended on one of you few whose addresses I have to be the presenter! I was hilarious when I received it!
    I feel as if I've been on a merry-go-round. And don't recall what I have posted. DS installed a Chromecast on our TV, using my iPad as the originator. So I have spent forever trying to install that app (?) on my computer, which took forever before I just figured it out and succeeded getting the extension on my Chrome Browser and later we'll see if it works! The movies it shows are truly HDMI even though we don't have that cable!
    Went downstairs to meet the "kids" for a lovely french toast breakfast this morning, which meant rising at 7 so we could get to the bistro before 8:30, since it closes at 9AM. I must bring up at the next Directors meeting that those are not accommodating hours for visitors on vacation (breakfast is included in the price of the guest suites). We had a great time talking , although Mike was telling us his heart seems to pull on his chest after the long walk we take to get down to dining areas and he feels very tired. This is right after his cardiologist said EKGs and ultra sounds and what have you other tests showed a heart quite normal for his age and a slightly occluded vent that was still better than anything they might exchange it for! He seemed to feel surgery, with his kidney function way down, would not be a good idea. I'm worried but afraid to say "do it" or "no way"! But I also hate to see him so exhausted when he has been enjoying the kids visit so much and seems like the Mike he used to be! Quandaries!
    The kids took us for pizza last night, and wow, do I remember the days we could almost finish an entire pizza between the 2 of us! Last night I ate 1 slice and Mike had 2, so the refrigerator got the doggie bag!
    I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts, but must catch up on business stuff while the visitors are off for a few hours. I hate for checks to bounce! Hope LIN's nose feels better. Should I try graduating from my 10 year old clam shell phone to a smart phone when I hate cell phone domination? I honestly almost never use (or carry) my old phone! And I tend to be awfully frugal (results of being a "depression" baby?) which is why my internet download is so slow. I pay for only the cheapest offering Comcast has! Sun just came out even though its only 62 degrees outdoors today. How wonderful! Have a great day everyone.
    Oh, started to watch Downton Abbey last night and can't remember a blessed thing after cook tried to explain why the chief head of "servants" (male) should agree not to have relations with the head of household "servants" (female) tgo whom he has proposed marriage! She fudged out before finishing and so did I. I fell asleep I presume! I'll have to buy the DVD series in order to stay awake , I guess. I love it, but now belong to the silver-haired group who nod off at the movies! Amazon, here I come!
    <3 Buzz
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Well got on the evil scale >:) this morning and was not happy. I gained between 5-6 lbs and it kind of
    made for a miserable morning. No one to blame but me so starting on South Beach Phase 1 today
    and tracking food and exericise everyday. I usually weigh everyday but left it go over the holidays, I
    should know better. Changed my weight on here and starting from scratch.

Yoga class done and now doing laundry. Starting to drink tea in the afternoon and started on Oolong
    today.

Watched Downton Abby last night and love it. Looking forward to the next episode.

Shirley
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! Well it is back to reality time! Watching the food intake, watching the blood sugar, doing more exercise, drinking more water and fireing back up on my logging. Still putting the last bit of Christmas stuff away and of course laundry! I have always thought it would be wonderful to have servants like on Downton. However I get this crazy good feeling when I take hold of my own life and organize and clean up my own dirt. I am low-brow, no doubt about it.

There is a wonderful documentary on a classical black ballet dancer, Misty Copeland, I think was her name. Wow, she was extraordinary! It was an amazing explanation of the rigors of ballet. As a little girl I took tap and ballet. However we were not allowed "on point" until we were older. I went to catholic school and oddly enough, the dance lessons were held in the school on Saturday afternoons. I guess the dance teacher rented the school. I had not thought about this until now. We lived out in the country so this was a real effort getting me off my horse, cleaned up and back at the school for dance lessons. Must say, however, the dance lessons were fun but I never developed grace or poise. Loved the music!

It is good that we have the holidays and the resulting temptations. It gives us reason for a renewed effort toward a healthier life. It seems everyone I know is "leaning in" toward a healthier new year. Great! I'm in!!
    Patsy

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Short and sweet post tonight before I organise myself for bed. The rain continues to fall and our roads are more like streams because the babbling brooks that run alongside and underground are now pouring over the sides. The moors are becoming quite difficult to walk on due to slippery mud and deep pools of water but this morning my friend and I persevered and got a good round journey under our belts so were back at our cars just before the gentle rain turned to crashing hail .... a lucky escape!! George was trimmed and tidied by his mobile groomer yesterday and is looking so cute even though his clean white areas of coat are once again looking grubby.

For those of you who fell asleep in front of Downton I can only say join the club because I've done that ever since series 2 whenever I've thought to drop in to see who's doing what! Last night the BBC began a new series of the epic War and Peace which is beautifully filmed and although I know the story it didn't have me snoozing so I'll probably follow it through but Lin I have to admit Sherlock was totally beyond me on New Years day so I switched to a documentary about composer Sergei Rachmaninoff whose music I adore. It was fascinating to see film of him playing his own piano concertos with little emotion considering how moving his music is but still in a brilliant way. His hands were enormous so he could cover the piano keys quicker than most!

Roast potatoes with this evening's dinner so not a good start to my week of behaving before a Friday weigh-in.... must try harder! After a trip to yet another auction viewing tomorrow I should have more time to respond to individual posts but meanwhile I'll just say hello to everyone and let Buzz know once again how much I admire your knowledge of all the modern technology that's out there. As Sandy has noticed, I don't know an iphone from an ipad or anything in between!!

Jackie
    Options
    I stayed up a little too late, so I've been sleepy all day. Had to be at auto glass place at 8am. The installer didn't get there until 10. So I left to get breakfast. Got my other errands finished after that. Anne, it's definitely a good day to stay inside where you live! It was up to about 44 here and I got hot! My warm toasty fleece pants and jacket roasted me! It will be about 20 here in the morning.
    Funny thing. I got a card in the mail from nephew. It was posted Dec. 2 2014!!
    I messaged them on Facebook, they said yep, we mailed that Last year while we were living in Japan. Crazy!
    Shirley, hang in there!
    I'm so sleepy, better go.
    Phoebe
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Are you home for a while Phoebe?
    Marie
  • linder4866
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I stayed up a little too late, so I've been sleepy all day. Had to be at auto glass place at 8am. The installer didn't get there until 10. So I left to get breakfast. Got my other errands finished after that. Anne, it's definitely a good day to stay inside where you live! It was up to about 44 here and I got hot! My warm toasty fleece pants and jacket roasted me! It will be about 20 here in the morning.
    Funny thing. I got a card in the mail from nephew. It was posted Dec. 2 2014!!
    I messaged them on Facebook, they said yep, we mailed that Last year while we were living in Japan. Crazy!
    Shirley, hang in there!
    I'm so sleepy, better go.
    Phoebe

Phoebe, you seem to have so many errands and appointments now. I did some errands today and it was a quite cold day. I got a check in the mail today and so I have to go back to the credit union tomorrow. I hate going there. That branch has people who are not friendly, question everything, look over your ID as if you're a crook. I've had an account with the institution since 1990 and don't want to leave so I guess I'll grit my teeth and continue to put up with it. It takes too long to drive down to the main location and this is right in my neighborhood.

AND Galivant is an ABC Musical farce which cracks me up. Two of the cast members from Downton have little parts on it. This past week they showed the first episode of the new season from 7pm to 8pm Sunday evening.

I have been using the unpetroleum jelly for years now. I have a humidifer on my furnace and spent extra money to have a whole house electronic air filter installed as well. I bit the bullet today and got some saline solution and some Xlear. Hopefully something will help a bit.

I have had allergy and sinus problems all my life. I took allergy shots, took all sorts of medications, had sinus chemical treatments, etc. etc. My doctor wants me back on that treadmill of drugs and treatments. I will just live with it if I can't find a solution. I thought once I'd finished cleaning my dad's house out it might get better but it didn't. I had the air ducts cleaned, carpet cleaned, had all those food allergy/sensitivity tests (which didn't reveal anything severe).

I spent quite a bit of time today texting with a friend about his mom and one of her dogs (his mom is also a friend of mine). The dog had severe health problems and his mom just didn't understand what she needed to do. We all talked to her but she is slipping mentally and couldn't comprehend. Anyway, my friend took the dog out to a very good clinic/hospital. They found the dog's organs were breaking down. So this lady still didn't know what to do so she had her granddaughter's husband go out there with her and had him listen to what was going on with the dog. He's a paramedic and very kind. Anyway, with his support she finally had the dog put down. I called her after lunch and talked with her until she ran out of things she wanted to say and told me she was going to sit in her rocking chair and take a nap. I feel so bad for her. She has one other old dog with quite severe joint problems so I hope and pray that dog just keeps on keeping on.

I feel bad for the whole situation.

Time for me to move about a little and I think I'll see if I can possibly get some extra sleep. Didn't sleep much again last night although I propped myself up on lots of pillow which helped a bit but didn't get to sleep until about 1am. A little late for me. NOT for Buzz of course.

See everyone tomorrow!

Lin
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone

Marie - love your new picture. Wonderful.
    Anne - some days are perfect to stay home and catch up
    Buzz - I just loved those cartoons they were so funny. My heart aches for you with Mike when he is not well but it must have been great to see him enjoying family so much.
    Shirley - my evil scale has got me watching my diet very closely too. I'm trying the new Weight Watchers right now - mixed feelings. However I am listening to some hypnosis recordings for weight loss and they tell you to always have an alternative weight loss strategy when the one you are using stops working. Counting calories stopped being effective at the moment. I know I will go back to it once I'm motivated again. So right now it is WW for me. I'm doing it online and the MFP app is miles and miles better. Good luck to you with South Beach. Loved that sweet picture.
    Patsy - that documentary sounds very interesting.
    Jackie - rain, rain, rain. It could be snow. LOL But mood wise I'll take snow over rain anytime.
    Phoebe - so funny about the card. Where was it hiding I wonder.
    Sandy - I didn't get a chance to tell you just how cute I thought the pictures of Robby were. Adorable.
    Lin - hope you start 100 per cent very soon.

We've been running around trying to get things done before we head down to see my sister again. She has an awful cold and I was worried about her but she sounds better today. Is now on antibiotics.

I'm going to go down and ride my exercise bike. My goal is 30 minutes a day. I still can't do much walking because of sore feet but I can do that at least.

Hugs to all,

Jeri

Options
    Marie, we will probably go back to work on Friday
    Nite all
    Phoebe
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    PATSY, reading your post, I marvel that you were able to dance ballet at all! It uses the knees exactly the opposite way they are used in horseback riding, where one points inward to grasp the animal's body. In ballet, it's knees pointing out, as in toe position 1! Thank you for the information on Misty Copeland. I'll try to locate it. Dancing professionally is one heckova life!!!
    JACKIE, actually, Rachmaninoff's lack of emotion on his face is typical, since ALL the emotion pours into his fingers/keys! I have problems with pianists who flail all over the place with ostentatious arm flinging and faces emoting! Serious musicians (exception Itzak Perlman?) most often look emotionless! I also adore his music. And I ordered Downton Abbey series 6 from Amazon so I can watch at my own pace! I really get a kick out of it! Be careful on your moors. Falling is terribly dangerous!!!
    PHOEBE, careful about overheating, luv! Crazy about our P.O.'s efficiency, isn't it? Glad they finally delivered!
    LIN, you are so kind taking the time to comfort the poor elderly woman! Pets mean so much when people are lonely, poor thing! I wish we could all comfort you on the sinus/asthma condition. There certainly is no cure yet that we know of!
    JERI, hope your Dear Sister improves quickly. Good for you on joining WW. Why do you have "mixed feelings" about it? I wish I could use it again, but I have no way of controlling or even knowing what goes into our foods! Today I made up my mind having these full course meals is not helping, and I had only the soup and a nice salad including diced grilled chicken. No extras. We'll see if it helps. DS sent my eldest DD pictures he snapped of me on his iPhone without my knowledge! Yes, I KNOW I must lose weight, because I feel fat all over and my legs cannot take the extra weight!
    SHIRLEY, at least you do tackle the problem very quickly! Weight will peel off for you with all you do! Your Isaac is adorable!
    Time to get to sleep. Be well y'all!
    <3 Buzz

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Hooray, finally the sun is shining and I saw the most glorious rainbow across the moors this morning. George and I walked on our own today so didn't wander too far, especially having seen a documentary last night about sinkholes that often appear after days of torrential rain. The old mine shafts collapse from time to time so I don't want a sudden sinking feeling as I stroll along!! I'm off to do some shopping, drop off books in a Heart Foundation charity collection container and view an auction at a saleroom about 12 miles away. We're promised a dry day tomorrow so I'll finally be able to feed the bees!

Buzz ~ You'll thoroughly enjoy Downton I'm sure and at least if you do nod off you can rewind and start over! I agree about pianists who flail about with an over abundance of enthusiasm but it did strike me as odd that Rachmaninoff's expression was blank but then his music does all the talking doesn't it! The 5/2 diet could work for you if you are able to pick a couple of days where you can reduce calories to 5-600. Your metabolism works harder and you can eat whatever you like within reason on the other 5 days. It worked for me when I'd hit a plateau and I'll get back to it in the next week or so, especially if my scales terrify me on Friday!

Phoebe ~ Amazing a card could take so long to travel from Japan to your home.... if only it could talk! Perhaps it stopped off on a Pacific island for a sunshine break!!

Lin ~ I do feel for you especially knowing you have the sense to have tried everything available to ease the sinus misery. It's a big step to revert to "modern" medicine and its side effects so weighing up one against the other is all you can do.

Jeri ~ my exercise bike is working as a coat hanger again because all this wet weather has me leaving waterproofs in the conservatory to drip dry and it's ideal what with handlebars and seat! I do plan to wheel it back into the cottage soon to build my leg muscles back up because I find parking in front of the tv to watch a half hour programme helps ease the boredom. I do hope you find your sister much improved when you visit. Colds can be debilitating at the best of times.

That's me for now. A quick whiz around with the vacuum cleaner and then out to shop and view. Have a lovely Tuesday everyone and stay warm and dry.

Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) I got a good nights sleep and feel rested today. My new HR Charge isn't as good as my flex for monitoring sleep, it seems to start as soon as I lay down in bed even though I watched TV for half an hour. I like it for everything else, but not happy with the sleep mode. I am now wondering if I made a mistake in returning the Surge but I think the sleep was monitored the same.
    Which reminds me that the surge was bought through Amazon and when I returned it for the Charge I thought I would just be able to use the refund to pay for the Charge but they put it on a gift card instead. My daughter also gave me a gift card from Amazon which I thought could be used for the luggage I exchanged but again it can't be applied to my bill. So that means I have to pay for my Fitbit and luggage and have a big credit on gift cards. Doesn't seem right to me but since the Amazon credit card is actually a Visa card, they have no control. Bummer!

Tonight I have a meeting and tomorrow game night with Bryanna and her friends. I will go get some healthy snacks but will probably order a pizza for them. I have been doing great as far as eating and exercise. With Robby I get over 5000 steps and last night I did my Wii stepper. MFP said I am not eating enough but that will change. I usually have a glass of wine but have been drinking water instead to try and lose my extra weight. It is working so I am happy.

Babe brought me some folding chairs to use tomorrow and said he might help me with airfare for Arizona which is a great surprise. Airfare is so high and he knows I want to take Bryanna. I still am looking for cheaper airfare but being Spring Break, I might postpone our trip to June.

Enough rambling, have a great day!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• linder4866
    Options
    1934139zhps7g5l2y.gif

Happy Birthday Karen!!

Lin