Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    :)Patsy, your little Katie is adorable...I remember when Sasha was a puppy we had to take her out the instant she finished eating or there would be an "accident"

:)Sandy, how great that you tried line dancing

:)Shirley, cute photo of Isaac in Mexico

:) my accountant said I should save all the supporting stuff for my tax returns for five years and the actual returns forever. Jake is in charge of shredding and we have recycling picked up every other week so he puts out two bags at a time.

:) when we stopped eating meat, we started buying products from Quorn, Morningstar Farms, and Gardein as well as eating eggs once or twice a week.

:) I went for my second acupuncture visit yesterday and may be feeling a difference but I am being cautiously optimistic and plan on at least six visits before drawing any conclusions. Since Medicare doesn't cover the cost, it's making a dent in our finances.

:) we are having lovely weather---temps in the 70's and lots of sunshine.

<3 Barbie

• Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    It's a little dark because in shadow, but here's my "wild" pet bunny, Miss Buns. Anne.
    itkdjayz0296.jpeg
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited April 2016
    Another big change in our temperatures as yesterday evening I walked with friends and dogs around our local lake in glorious late sunshine and mild air but today an easterly wind has picked up and it's cold!! After our usual walk on the moors I've spent a couple of hours at the allotment pruning fruit bushes and doing a bit of weeding but since popping back home and eating lunch the cold wind has become stronger so my plans to garden have gone out the window. We've had a forecast for more snow at the weekend so our back-to-front Spring continues!

Patsy ~ One of the dogs on our walk last night was a Jack Russell puppy called Bee-bee who is now 7 months old. My friend had looked after her and her sister Honey for a week recently and told me how nearly all her newly planted shrubs were dug up or chewed and few have survived so I'm sure you and John are sensible to take the summer off when it comes to planting.

Anne ~ That's a cute bunny in your garden, not something that would ever survive in mine! At the weekend squirrel dared to investigate my bird feeders but Boris saw him and chased him to the cottage where the little thing ran straight up the wall and on to the roof before doing an amazing balancing act as it tottered along looking for a safe exit. George of course was behind the action although aware where Nutkin went so for the next 24 hours spent a lot of time staring up at the roof in spite of me telling him it was long gone!

Phoebe ~ It must be difficult to follow a healthy diet when you're both on the move and convenience food makes life easier. There's only so much lettuce you can eat in a day!!

Sandy ~ That queen bee wouldn't have been interested in you because she'd be on a mission, probably to find a home to lay her eggs. If you talk to bees you'll find yourself a lot calmer and that's something they pick up on so then don't feel threatened. You'd be amazed what you can find to talk to them about and you could introduce Robby in a nice way so he isn't scared. Try hard not to swat at them because it will just make them cross.... as you'd be if someone took a swipe at you!!

Buzz ~ Yesterday on a quiet narrow country road I found myself behind a huge highways truck full of aggregate that slowed its journey but then a car came up behind me and for a couple of miles spent the time either riding inches behind me or falling back before racing up to nearly hit me again then, incredibly he decided to overtake me on a bend before cutting me up so I mouthed a rude word in the hope he was looking in his rear view mirror.... probably not as that would have been sensible!! His female passenger looked terrified as they passed me but just when I thought he couldn't be more stupid he overtook the truck on another blind bend and was extremely lucky no one was coming in the other direction because some poor innocents would probably have been seriously injured if not worse. No one seems to have patience anymore, always in a rush to get a few seconds ahead but I always go with the thought it's better to get to my destination late than not at all.

Well George is nudging my knee which probably means he needs to go out and the hens need feeding their evening corn so I'll get on.

Jackie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Enjoying this weather today because tomorrow and Friday will be rain. Good for the garden and
    everything growing this Spring. B)

I paid my bill for the car accident at choir last night. That is off my mind, Paula's husband said she probably wouldn't get an estimate any lower so she went ahead and got it fixed. I paid for the estimate she gave me so we are square. I told her I am parking behind the church now away from the main cars and she said so was she. LOL

Isaac is on his way home from Mexico and I will see him on Saturday at the party. :) What a lucky little guy. o:)

Jackie - I can't believe you are getting snow again. I thought Canada was bad for that. I guess no
    flip flops for you for a while. I never thought about talking to a bee, maybe I should stop swating
    them. :o

Shirley

• JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Had a nice day with the hubby by the resort's swimming pool today. Right now, we're back inside relaxing and later we'll be out shopping the outlet mall. Then tomorrow, a 10 hour drive back home. Nice way to begin the Spring/Summer season.
    Marcella
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,363 Member
    Hello friends - after a lot of rain we are getting a break with a bit of sunshine. More rain expected later and overnight.

Lovely day of Tai chi and errands, super lunch, and getting signed up for a few more classes. One is about a butterfly survey. That does interest me!!

Getting some early supper and then off to that class at REI.

Patsy, great choice on the focus for this summer. As much as we all want everything at once, it isn't always possible. It is puppy time!!

Jackie, yes, we went from hot back to coat weather. But no snow in our forecast. Hugs to George!! Any auctions coming up?? You are so busy in the spring that you probably do 't have time to attend anyway.

Marcella, safe travels home. Glad you had this time away.

Shirley, glad the little car incident is all settled now.

Anne, ha, cute bunny but I cannot scare them away! I am overrun with them!!

Barbie, I hope your acupuncture helps the nerve problem. By the way, the place where I go for Tai chi has line dance once a week. I stayed to watch a bit of it. Too intimidating for me. Everyone knew exactly what they were doing. These folks are not beginners!! Although I found out today that I am doing Tai chi with participants who have been doing these classes for 4+ years. Oh my!!

Phoebe, did you get back on the road and when do you think you'll get home? Stay safe!!

Hello to everyone I've missed.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Too late to really post , but what a great day for reading about your lives! JACKIE's post about the looney bin driver left me breathless! ANd if I find any bees, I'll ask Mike to sing to them, as my croak would terrify the poor thing! Sleep well...
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited April 2016
    A busy day so I'm just dropping in for a quick catch up. George has been walked although he wasn't feeling up to much and was sick halfway round. I'm hoping it's nothing more than a piece of grass he's chewed but will keep an eye on him. He eat most of his brunch together with a denture stick so there can't be too much wrong. After some housework I will be doing some grocery shopping then, when I get home George is due a warm shower with plenty of shampoo and a blow dry because he's getting to smell too much like the moors!

Shirley ~ That's funny your friend has decided to park behind the church where you're going. She must trust you and think what happened was a one-off! When I visited the allotment yesterday to do some weeding I chatted to a few people there, all complaining about our cold weather and the fact nothing is getting planted up because of it so it will be a late season. The UK is split today with the Midlands getting sun and 19c degrees while we're lucky if we get into double figures. I do remember the occasional late snow when I lived in Toronto but not too often, but then this is a rare thing for us and shouldn't last much longer (say I with fingers crossed!).

Lin ~ There's a local auction next Monday and I will view on Sunday but first look at their catalogue on line in the hopes I can get my table and chairs because after so long I'm beginning to miss them!

Anne ~ The UK doesn't have growing regions as such but you'll remember we go along with folk law and know when the time is right to plant runner beans or chit our spuds really based on what our parents would have taught us. No doubt Scotland has completely different dates to ours in the south!

The housework calls so I'll get on now otherwise the morning will be gone!

Enjoy your Thursday.
    Jackie

• linder4866
    Good day - cold and wet here today. Jackie, I hope George is okay.......and that you find some furniture soon. :)

Great talk last night on preparedness. He covered not just trail survival but also a bit on home emergency preparedness as well. I am now convinced strolling is for me, not serious hiking, not even day hiking unless I go with a group. Yipes!

Off soon to join the group at the library for a while then on to mail a birthday card (it is too wet to put it out in the communal mail slot as it gets wet in that box), need to make some lunch, then a webinar, perhaps a trip to make an exchange, then off to meet a small group of Whole-Food Plant-Base folks in this new local pod and this time the organizer was pressed to make a Facebook event and five people have responded as attending so should be more than just the two of us. I joined a larger group of vegans in the area and there is a picnic early in May. Interesting.

Take care all. Wearing a coat again today!

Hugs.

Lin

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Hello everyone! Our schedule is pretty crazy these days. We are still into the intense potty training. Going to the vet this afternoon. We will most likely have Katie wormed and maybe a puppy shot of some sort. Our weather has been odd. Very warm for a couple of days then the clouds rolled in yesterday. Today we are to get a shower or two. Life is wonderful anyway it iis...seasons, no matter how beautiful, next one is even better. The huge Ravens are still hanging around. They have robbed a lot of nests, gotten into everyone trash and squawk comments fron the tree tops. Not the average well-loved song birds, these guys, these are gangsters! Oh well every creature has a place in the universe. These birds, mosquitos, and ants have little place in my perfect world.
    Patsy
  • Jacean245
    And I've got Ravens too! Never seen them here before. I watched a huge chap in my bird bath today, he filled it up. I wonder why they are suddenly flourishing, milder winter?
    I realize Jackie that there are no planting zones in the British isles, I just idly wondered which zone it would fit into. Maybe 5? Or more likely none as the weather changes so quickly. Yes I remember all the folk laws my favourite being "Ne'er cast a clout until May is out". Clout being old English for clothing. Very wise, and much dispute as to whether that meant the month of May or mayflowers (hawthorn blossom).
    With no commitments at the moment, I.e. pets to worry about, I have decided to take a leaf out of Lins book and start bus travelling much further afield, as in day trips whilst I still can. I belong to my local library so must now explore it more and see if it offers all the good stuff that Lins library offers.
    I'm away on my first trip. It will be 19C this afternoon but must take the brolly.
    Anne.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Patsy, I agree ravens and crows makes messes. I read an article on them in the Canadian Wildlife
    magazine and they are very smart birds.

We too are getting rain, not cold this time, I actually had no jacket on today when I went to the chiropractor. Dave was at the boat most of the day and just got home where he was buffing the boat.
    He said it started raining there too.

Last night's talk at the library about butterflies was very interesting. Now I know what plants attract
    them, I just have to figure out which ones will work where I want to plant them. Milkweed is the best
    but usually grows along the road. I did stay for the other speaker who talked about dragon flies and
    damsels. He had some beautiful pictures but way too many for my liking. He could have cut that
    presentation in half. :|

Not much planned today I did get a walk in this afternoon before it rained and now I will just relax.

Shirley
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Sorry not to be commenting much to you gals. my old mind just wonders too much. But do keep up with you all. thanks for being here for us all.
    <3 Marie
  • linder4866
    edited April 2016
    Hi Marie, good to see you!! <3<3

Shirley, I am going to the library on Sunday afternoon for a presentation on planting for butterflies. It is only an hour long though. Next week I am going to a presentation on doing a butterfly survey and if I get time, in a few weeks at a local park there is a presentation on dragonflies.

Didn't get lots accomplished after leaving the library. Got stuck in traffic due to an accident so I guess maybe tomorrow will be a bit busier. Ha.

Now can someone tell me the difference between Ravens and crows?? Patsy??? Should I Google this? We just have crows and blackbirds as far as I know. Thanks.

Time to think about organizing to leave again. Tomorrow morning I am doing both Tai Chi and a meditation class.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,271 Member
    Happy Thursday!! :) Even though rain was predicted it has been a beautiful day!! I took Robby outside and a lady from down the street came with her daughter. She said her daughter would like to play bubbles with Robby even though she was about 5 or 6. While they were blowing bubbles I rearranged the statues to my liking and did some weed pulling. We then went to the park where this lady never stopped talking. She eventually left which was okay with me and I am a friendly person but she was a bit too much. lol

Lin, sorry you got stuck in traffic due to an accident, I hope no one got seriously hurt. I am glad you asked that question, I have no idea what the difference is between a raven and a crow. Actually I don't think I know the difference between a black bird and a crow as well.
    I could google all this but since Lin asked I will wait.

Marie, we are just happy you check in and congratulations on the 6.1 pound loss with your new way of eating. I will post it tomorrow when I will also weigh in.

Shirley, I don't have room to plant a garden for butterflies but I do love when my hummingbirds come around. I think it is still too early to put the feeder out but if the weather stays this way I might try.

Anne, good for you with taking a leaf out of Lin's book and start bus traveling for day trips.
    We should all keep busy at our ages, it is was keeps us young.

Patsy, being a labradoodle I think Katie will train fast, they are very smart dogs. I do agree, putting the garden on hold is probably a good idea. I remember Daisy eating all the flowers out of my planted pots. They are little stinkers aren't they?

Jackie, I would hate the weather changing like yours, we are finally into spring and I love it!!
    I do hope poor George is okay, I hate when our furry kids get sick. I will try talking to the bees especially the bumble bees but I can't guarantee I won't be afraid.

Buzz, if I sang to the bees I would for sure get bitten.

Marcella, your trip sounds wonderful, have a safe drive home. Can't you spend the night half way so you don't have to drive 10 hours?

Barbie, good to hear from you and I really hope the acupuncture works.

Have a great evening and isn't it sad about Prince?

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• Jacean245
    edited April 2016
    The raven, rook and jackdaw are all similar and all of the crow family as far as I know Lin. I think the raven has a sharper beak than the other two, but I'm not sure. Ravens are protected and kept in the Tower of London because it is said that if the Ravens depart, England will fall. Again not sure, Jackie will put me right if I'm wrong, but I believe the Ravens wings are clipped to prevent them flying away. I DO know they have a special beefeater (guard) to take care of them and they walk freely in the grounds. Yep, I've seen 'em in the past.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Sandy, blackbirds are much smaller birds. And oh my if you have ever seen a big flock of them flying you will definitely not forget them! We have many territorial red-winged blackbirds. Too aggressive for me.

Thanks for the refresher Anne. I knew Ravens had to stay and that they are kept at the Tower of London. I read a fiction book about a conspiracy to remove them to force the fall of the monarchy.

Gotta go!!

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Dragged to Costco for my blueberries today despite the darn foot pain, which feels like Plantar fasciitis except it's on the outside of my foot instead of bottom. It has really crippled me for several days now, but tonight I realize it is not quite as bad, so at least I can step on it. The berries were a fortune @ $9.49 for 18 ounces, but still cheaper than elsewhere. I can't give up my blueberries.
    Last night we had dancers from India in our lobby, along with specialty appetizers and tonight's dinner was tandoori chicken, beef masala and some kind of fish, Indian style. Yogurts, yellow lentils, cardamom seasonings and a brussel sprout dish I actually enjoyed because I didn't taste the sprouts! Even the broccoli/cauliflower soup was delicious. I'm curious about where we will be "visiting" and tasting next month!
    Tomorrow my "baby" turns 62, so I'd better send something quick as I almost forgot the date. Every day is Saturday to me!
    <3 Buzz
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    We're home and I have never been so happy to be safely in my own comfortable bed. Sweet dreams everyone.
    Marcella
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Welcome home Marcella
    Love love your new picture you looks great.
    Buzz you be careful getting around you are not a young chicken any more. Are you still driving?
    all fine here on the home front Phoebe have you made it home yet?
    Marie