Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I think assisted living would be good, for now. The problem is the cost. Second would be to have home health care. I think this would help too. I'll mention these to my cousin tomorrow. Jim's sister is director of a nursing home and she's had a few years experience in home health care too. She may have all the info needed regarding low income services in our state. They admitted her to the hospital for low potassium and will keep her a few days. Her MRI shows a fractured vertebrae that is a new break, and she will be having a cement procedure to help that. I think when I visit her on Monday, I'll have a serious talk with her. Brutal honesty has worked in the past, I hope it will again. Sorry to bore you with this drama.
    Wow Sandy, if you only have two days left with Robby, hope you enjoy them and plan something fun. Of course you'll see plenty of him and still sit sometimes I'm sure.
    Lin, it has gotten warm here but it's going to cool down again, nothing like Iowa though. I hope to work outside on the cool days. We've only been home since Wednesday night and it feels like time is running at warp speed! Running right back to work!
    Good night
    Phoebe
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Shirley - Have a wonderful and safe trip.
    Phoebe - Sorry to hear about your aunt. Sounds like your cousins are doing a wonderful job with her, given the circumstances.

This week has been crazy here. My son’s computer crashed. :s He uses it for his music recording business. Our first concern was that he would have to replace it. The system that he would need to purchase was quite expensive and not really in his business budget at the moment. Fortunately, the computer technician told him a new hard drive should fixed the problem. The other issue was getting a good back up of some vocals that were recorded last Saturday. After working with this all week, he finally got the files backed up Thursday evening around 10pm. Then yesterday, they had the new hard drive waiting for him at the store. We took the computer back in so they could put that in. We arrived home and he started restoring the system. At first it looked like it wasn’t going to work. My son was literally minutes away from canceling today’s recording session when everything finally started working. After a little more debugging, software upgrading, and testing, it was all finally a go for today’s recording session as of about midnight last night. :) I’m enjoying coffee and a few minutes of quiet before starting the day this morning.

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend,
    Marcella
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Happy Saturday!! :) 40 degrees here, what crazy weather!! Arizona can't come quick enough!!
    Dinner and a party tonight with no plans for tomorrow as of yet except for Church. Rob and Lisa closed on their condo yesterday, one less thing to worry about. Contingency is off the new house and they should close June 9. Very excited for them and can't wait to see the new house. Not sure about the haircut yet, will let you know after I get ready, it does take a couple of days before I get used to it, which is why I wanted it cut before Arizona.

Marcella, sorry your son's computer crashed, one of my fears. My son remotely takes care of my computer since he is a Computer Troubleshooter and works out of his own home. You reminded me to ask him about my backup system to see if all is working.

Phoebe, the cost of all health care is so outrageous so I do hope someone can help your aunt with low income services. Jim's sister sounds like the perfect person to help. None of us wants to live with our children when we can't take care of ourselves but sometimes there is no choice. And if there are no children options are even fewer. You never bore us with anything, we all use our sneakers to vent, especially me. I really have no special plans with Robby, the problem is I don't have a car seat in my car so I really can't drive anywhere. He also naps from 11 to 2 so plans are made around his schedule.

Lin, do you think we will ever see summer?

Have a wonderful Saturday.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Handbags are fun to explore, right?
    pyiw7f350eez.jpeg
    But I can be very sweet, but not often! Jilly Bean
    fskffa3ks1ek.jpeg
    My mom is exhausted so I'm writing today.
    Options
    Oh so sweet, at least, from this distance! Hi Lil' Jilly! Looks like my y aunt will have the surgery on her back, then retreat to a rehabilitation center. That is the plan today anyway.
    Supper time, reheated vegetables for me. Goodnight!
    Phoebe
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am having grilled steam potatoes of my Geo. foreman grill I think I am getting low on potatoes /b9v2f6weuooh.jpg
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,185 Member
    Options
    Love the photos Anne.

Phoebe, hope you get some rest. A rehab center sounds like a perfect start for your aunt after her surgery. Problems just wear at us don't they?

Marcella, glad your son got everything functioning again just in time.

Sandy, it will warm up next week...at some point!

Made a trip to Trader Joe's this morning and as usual I was unable to get several items on my list. Just like yesterday when all I wanted at Whole Foods were Japanese Sweet Potatoes and they said they thought they had a box in the back room. Nope, they were back-ordered and they hope to have some Sunday or Monday. My order of purple sweet potatoes was not shipped this week.

Well, I got my groceries and did a lot of cooking today. Watered plants and started to read "Berry the Hachet" by Peg Cochran. Another light cozy mystery.

Church tomorrow. See you soon.

Hugs.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Nearly midnight and I've had another busy day at the allotment and then my garden as well as walking my little man and have just been checking a couple of auction catalogues on line that will take place next week..... one dining table to take a look at tomorrow during a viewing and a Georgian side table at another auction Wednesday. One day I'll find what I'm looking for!!

Phoebe ~ This sounds like the best option for your aunt right now and who knows, once she's recuperated she may well take a fresh view of where she wants to be and also take better care of herself.

Anne ~ Love the photos of Jilly.... what a little minx!! Wonderful that you can carry her about in your handbag if necessary ;)

Marie ~ Yummy potatoes and no wonder you are growing your own! Mine in their box are barely showing green tops of shoots through the surface of the soil but I'm thinking the best things are always worth waiting for!

Sandy ~ Great news about the condo. Just for a minute I thought your 40 degrees was in centigrade and wondered why you'd want to head to Arizona but then, ah no, that's a cold 40!!
    After our few hot and muggy days we are now back to cool and rather cloudy weather but at least we've lost our arctic blast of cold air!

Lin ~ A busy day for you and good you got some cooking done even if you couldn't purchase everything on your list. Next year you'll have to find seed potatoes of the variety you enjoy and grow your own!

That's it, a couple of minutes to midnight and time I was in bed. My back is still complaining but after an evening stroll with George I took a couple of painkillers so should get a comfortable night.

Jackie
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone

Well tomorrow we leave for Vegas for a week. We've been busy getting ready but it's all done now. Up at 4 am, it will be a long day.

Went for my mammogram and all was well. Hurray. However I asked him to look at my little fingers thinking the bend in them was from arthritis. No such luck, darn. What I have is, quoting the Mayo Clinic site:

"Dupuytren's (du-pwe-TRANZ) contracture is a hand deformity that usually develops over years. The condition affects a layer of tissue that lies under the skin of your palm. Knots of tissue form under the skin — eventually creating a thick cord that can pull one or more fingers into a bent position.

The affected fingers can't be straightened completely, which can complicate everyday activities such as placing your hands in your pockets, putting on gloves or shaking hands."

It can be quite serious but being me I researched it right away and found that radiation treatment can help if started early enough. That may work on the right hand, and possibly the left. My family doctor will send me for a consultation. We are lucky to have a radiation oncologist here who treats it. It's not cancer but radiation can help. Needling, enzyme injections and surgery are other options. Darn. Wish me luck.

Anyway, I haven't been lost just busy busy.

I write more later.

Jeri

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    jilly is so small. and just adorable.
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hello sneakers, we had showers today. I hope Monday and Tuesday follow the predicted cloudy but dry weather. We will be finishing up the fence on Tuesday! Yea! Yea! Hooray! Katie will be able to run as fast as she wants without threatening to pull John off his feet. She wants to try to catch the ball while in the air.
    She is a true country girl. Likes mud, dirt, slugs, bugs, sticks and stones! Perfect for our lifestyle. Plus the mud and dirt shows up nicely...she is strawberry blonde!

I am having a split personality moment about our political scene. One moment I am laughing and the next I am terrified! Was it always this way? If I knew anyone older than I am, I would ask them.

We bought the DVD of Brooklyn. I love that movie. We buy secondhand DVDs at the video rental place. We are very old school. I don't bank online, I don't belong to Facebook or any social media except this one. I don't even text or Twitter, Many of my friends still love those long handwritten letters. I use the computer and print the letters in 18 point type for easy reading. They love it!

The puppies are wonderful. Anne's little Jilly is quite adorable. Katie is mischievous and active and a jock. John is working on her training but it slow going! So far she knows her name, she knows the word NO! But she doesn't like to hear it or even listen to it. On it goes...
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Fell asleep at the computer, as I slept poorly last night. The darn foot kept me awake. I have tried to be so careful eating, but perhaps I goofed. Anyway, just letting you know I'm lurking , sleepy, so slipping out! PATSY, I'm terrified, too. Politics is never pretty, but this is not anything I've ever seen. I rad an interesting article in last week's NY Magazine, by Andrew Sullivan, and it is profound, and worth discussing in a group! I'll try to send you the link...
    <3 Buzz
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Dinner was great, the surprise party a success and a fun time was had by all. I am going to Mass this morning so don't have much time. I also want to go to Target and to Walmart for some groceries. A video call later with my kids and then the rest of the day relax.

Buzz Have you seen a doctor about your foot? Patsy The fenced in yard should help with Katie, she can run as fast as she wants and possibly burn off some energy.Marie you sure are loving those potatoes and it is working so a great benefit. Jeri Have a wonderful time in Vegas and win some money. I heard the TSA lines are awful with waits of over an hour so I hope you made your flight. Jackie Good luck with the auctions, I do hope they have just the right table for you. Phoebe Sorry your aunt has to have surgery but it sounds like it came at the right time to help her settle down. Lin Sorry you can't find the veggies you want, maybe Jackie has a plan for next year. Anne Oh my gosh, Jilly is just adorable. I would love to get some of those puppy kisses.

Time to move.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hello everybody, can you believe I walked Jilly this morning in my winter padded coat! There's mention of flurries in the forecast and possible overnight frost! Unbelievable in the middle of May. We didn't linger long outside I can tell you.
    I've read everyone's post and do so feel sorry you are suffering so much pain with the gout and swelling Buzz and Jeriwith the bent small fingers. I've had the same thing for years Jeri, with no pain, and no problem. I read somewhere that it can be hereditary for those with a trace of Norse or Viking blood in their DNA. Nothing to boast about I guess when Mike tells me it's from ancestors wielding their battle axes and thus causing this oddity. Hard to believe - for the very last thing I want to do is wield a battle axe!
    Phoebe concerned lady that you are with your auntie problems. Worrying, but you seem to have worked out a solution. How is Honey and her hip?
    At least Sandy is off on her trip, but I can't see Shirley enjoying the boat just yet for I just can't imagine sailing on Lake Ontario today. Brrrrrr.
    At least Jackie and George are enjoying a bit of heat and sun for a change.
    And our lovely Marie is becoming extremely knowledgeable about potatoes in growing and cooking my favourite veg. If I could only choose one food to take to a desert island with no chance of rescue it would be the humble spud. You can do SO much with them.
    Patsy cuddle the adorable Katie for me, she will grow up to be a very handsome doggie I think. She's a beautiful little pup.
    And that only leaves politics!!! Oh my, I sometimes fear the world is spoiling for another war and pray fervently I'm wrong! Weird almost Monty Python politics over here and I share your feelings of swaying from terrified to laughing at all these idiots Buzz and Patsy. Jackie facing the Brexit vote soon in the UK and that little Korean guy playing with his nuclear explosion toys. I think us older folks had the very best of times in the fifties when everyone was full of hope and our only worry was could we afford the "new look" from Christian Dior, bouffant skirts and winkle picker high heels.
    Well my vacuum cleaner was last seen on the dust cart heading for the dump having given up the ghost with a nasty smell of burning rubber. I'm supposed to go and find a new one today, but I think I'll stay home with the pup huddled in my winter woollies!
    Cheerio, Anne.

Options
    Everyone still very busy and thriving. So good to read your posts.
    (aunt update, skippable :|) My aunt will have her surgery/procedure tomorrow. Normally it is outpatient surgery. The plan with doctors and her daughters on board is for her to be transferred to a rehab facility straight from the hospital. I'll arrive, hopefully about noon and stay until they make a decision about when she'll be going.
    I have an appointment for Honey in the morning about her hip pain. Fingers crossed. We can't afford surgery for her, given her age, and a likely weak heart, it wouldn't work well.
    Anne, Lin bought a Shark and so did I. Depending on your needs, they have convertible styles and also long lightweight wands. Easy to empty.
    I'm going to vacuum sometime today and I dread capturing the mouse that got away Friday night. Jim says ,and I wish he hadn't, there's no knowing What the cats bring in while we're away.
    Marie, your grilled potatoes looked so good! I almost bought a small bag for myself, but opted for a package of mushrooms instead. I enjoy eating as I please when Jim is away. I have enough to cook today and green beans. I may mix in a russet potato. And ONIONS! Woo hoo! I love cooked onions and Jim doesn't.
    Lin, do you preorder these sweet potatoes? Are they supposed to set them aside for you? I hope it won't be a continuing shortage, maybe just a glitch. I like to check out the books you are reading, I usually add them to my audible wish list. I finished Journey to Munich last week. So glad she'll......oops, might reveal the ending!
    I think it will reach 70 F today, good day for yard things. Hope you and northern Sneakers finally reach spring, before summer gets here! How are your plants, or seeds doing?
    Marcella, I'm glad you have a reliable source for repairs on computers. I dread when that happens, I'll probably message you for your repairers info. Wow, recording used to be on reel to reel, remember that?
    Buzz, pardon me if I'm too nosy, but I am. Why aren't you on a gout medication? Jim takes his daily, it's a generic. Allopurinol. I know I couldn't stand that kind of pain. It would also keep me awake.
    Patsy, sad that our politics are now laughable. Even sadder is no real heroes in the bunch, IMHO. Hug the baby for me.
    Jeri, I've seen the curled fingers and I thought it meant rheumatoid arthritis. Now i know differently, or, that it may be this other issue. I hope you don't have pain though.

I hate to wake on a day with lots of plans and develop a headache. I'm going to take my meds to see if it will go away.
    Phoebe
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Anne - Your new little puppy is just tooooo adorable! That was so thoughtful of your son to post those pictures for the rest of us to enjoy.
    Phoebe - The rehabilitation center sounds perfect for your aunt.
    Marie - You’re posts are giving me all sorts of additional ideas for my George Foreman grill. Thanks!
    Jeri - Absolutely, best luck with your hand issues.
    Buzz - Hope your foot is better today.

I have been struggling a bit for the past few weeks with some unhealthy habits finding their way back into my life. :( This week, I will be more focused on the joy of whole food prep and outdoor gardening. I will try to include some updates as the week progresses. It's a healthy lifestyle that's sustainable and enjoyable. I look forward to feeling better, sleeping better and basically being better this week. :)

Happy to say that my son’s computer held up for the recording session yesterday. It’s fine for now, but he has started saving for a much more upgraded system for the future of his business.
    Marcella
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,185 Member
    Options
    Phoebe, I read the book you mentioned. A couple of other books I've read recently include "Here Comes the Bribe" by Mary Daheim. I've been reading all the books in this series but I didn't find this one as entertaining as previous books. Also read "Murder at Lambswool Farm" by Sally Goldenbaum. Also a series I have been reading and once again, it just wasn't that entertaining. So I must be a harsh critic these days.

Off to the library to pick up more books!!

It is warmer here this afternoon. <3

Hugs.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Another gorgeous day with lots of warm sunshine and apart from walking across the moors and then a quick shop for bags of compost and some kitty biscuits before driving to the auction viewing I've been at home. It took less than 5 minutes to look around and realise the auction showroom was full of rubbish that I'd never entertain so back home for lunch and then gardening. I did stop for a cup of tea and what I hoped would be a break to finish reading a book on my swing seat in the sunshine but my immediate neighbour started up a petrol strimmer to cut her lawns so because the noise is like a million angry bees I soon gave up on that idea! My garden has exploded into a riot of colour in the past week with azaleas, fruit trees and aquilegias suddenly busting forth with blossom and flowers so I feel I'm gaining control again slowly. You might remember I have a greengage fruit tree I was tempted to cut down last year but instead gave it a heavy prune, well still no blossom so it's days may be numbered!! I've read all your posts and am sorry Anne you are having to walk Jilly in cold weather... the world's climate has gone mad this year along with its politics!!

It's time for bed so I must pop George into the garden for a moonlit pee.
    Jackie
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Evenin' everyone. Had a quiet day, chatting by the pool in gorgeous cool sunshine, no humidity. Did I mention anything about our former neighbor whom we tried to join with us when we moved here, but they "weren't ready yet"? (Famous last words most of us use when the subject comes up). Well, they finally moved to a place she hated, and he died around New Years, her son (psychologist) insisted she move closer to him, and she hated it there, and they never visited her, and I suggested she check our place again, and she did and moved into a lovely 1 bedroom apartment in our building (she's renting rather than having bought in) and now :o after her week of being mentored (introduced and dinner reservations set up for new residents), it appears she expects us to eat with her every night! I'm practicing being understanding while explaining she must make her own friends, join her own interest groups, etc. and must get over feeling responsible for the poor thing, as she appears to have few social skills! She says her late husband took care of everything and she doesn't know how! So sad.
    PHOEBE, perhaps I will ask my Dr for that medication. He gave me that 5 day pack of prednisone last time, and I never used it. This time, I looked at the pack and decided no prednisone again! I'll ask about the allopurinol, since this is worse than giving birth!
    It's slowly improving, but very slowly! Thank you, everyone, for your concern.
    I cannot sit too long with my leg down, so I wish you all a fabulous finish to a pleasant week-end.
    <3 Buzz
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Patsy, have you ever seen spots like this appear on an Old English? This has happened in the last two weeks. Although she looks cute, I think something is going on. I am making Babe take her to the doctor to show him. Any ideas? Should I be concerned???

4ufdwvcn2qgw.jpg
    3tv0bx7xvvph.jpg
    clcisyh74g7p.jpg