Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!! :) Had a good meeting yesterday and then went for "coffee" (I had a diet coke) with some of the members. We are in a hot spell like some of you so haven't decided if I want to go to the pool or go get a mani/pedi. First world problems are tough!!

Anne and Jackie, I am confused by your posts and that is probably because I don't follow the news like I should. Are the British tourists complaining about your heat in Canada, thus the joke from Jackie? You do realize I am blonde don't you?

Marie, good morning, hope all is going well with your therapy and each day you can walk farther. Keep up the good work.

Jackie, it does amaze me to read that you encounter sheep and horses on your walks. What a beautiful part of our world!!

Buzz, I am so happy to read things are going back to some type of norm for you and Mike. I am sure your cleaning lady could care less if things are not in place, I know mine would work around it or help me straighten it out. Your Sterling set is just beautiful, what a great job.

Lin, good luck at the dealer today, I should go and get my oil changed but still haven't planned my day. With my son and his wife arriving Monday I really should get organized.

Phoebe, great news with the repair bill, can't beat $0. Bryanna's A/C is out as well and I have suspicions it is from a repair they did last winter. I hope Honey is on the road to recovery and has no more problems.

Patsy, so many of you have such great talents, I am a little jealous.

Time to make decisions and get moving.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hi SANDY, some people who don't live in Canada think it is frozen solid and snowing all year round. We have known folk arrive here with ski's on the top of their cars in the middle of a heatwave. The British Tourists in Toronto interviewed on the radio obviously fall into that category, lol. Hence JACKIES tongue in cheek joke. Loved the cartoon by the way, where DO you find them Jackie. Nanook was an Inuit or Eskimo character in a book originally (or was it a movie), anyway it was titled "Nanook of the North".
    I think today is the hottest I have ever experienced ANYWHERE. Phew!
    Anne
    SANDY just looked Nanook of the North up on the Internet. It was a 1922 American film depicting the life of an Inuit man and his family surviving successfully under very harsh conditions in Canada's Arctic. It's been preserved in the archives apparently. Anyway, today, (N)ANNE)NOOK, I am not.........phew again!
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hello all! We are lucky in the overcast and showery season. Next week is our hot dry time...generally August is our scary hot dry month with wildfires possible.

When we moved from Colorado to Anchorage, AK, we had no idea what to expect. It was a warm summer with more mosquitos than you would ever believe. We could never go out on our deck if we were not coated in repellent and long sleeves. Those little demons would always go for our eyes and mouth area to bite. As the years passed, it got warmer and warmer in the summer and less and less snow in the winter.

Slacked off on my morning exercises so I will have to schedule in an afternoon session. I felt pooped out this AM. I think it was the cool foggy morning. Or maybe I was just lazy this AM?
    Patsy
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Another hot day here again, I set an intention at yoga to rain but didn't happen. It was so cloudy and
    the air was heavy most of the day and then the sun came out. I was actually thinking of sweathers and jeans and thinking of colder temperatures. Our lawn looks like hay and the weeds are popping up here and there. My flowers look stressed and we just keep watering them.

Buzz - Your silver set is beautiful, is it hard to make? My SIL who passed used to make stained glass items and she did some beautiful pieces. Where is Mike located in your building? Is he in the nursing home part or still in assisted living?

Marie - Here hoping you are having a great day and feeling tip top.

Phoebe - Good to hear Honey is on her way to recovery and can come with you in the truck again.

Lin- Good luck at the dealership, I used to spend many days there when I was single and hated it.
    Hope you care in running better soon. I had my brake light come on just a few weeks ago and our
    neighbor who fixes my car said I needed new tires and the bad tire was tripping the light in the car.
    I had to get a new battery and now new tires. I am so glad Dave deals with this now. I am making
    soup today even though it is hot today. I guess we are thinking Fall. LOL

My oldest daughter, Kristina and John will be coming tonight for the weekend. I haven't seen her in a while because she is always busy traveling with work or doing something. I do miss her and maybe
    we can plan a weekend yoga retreat in the future.

Have a great weekend and stay cool!!

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :) Yesterday was warm and sunny---it got up to 78 degrees. Just before bedtime, the thunder and lightning started and scared the dogs. It rained almost all night. The rain stopped long enough in the morning for the dogs to walk to do business but after breakfast, the rain started and the dogs refused to go out. I walked without them and after an hour was soaked to the skin and had to take off all my clothes and put them in the washer.

:) Jake's daughter and her family (husband and sons ages 5 and 7) came for a short visit as part of a longer vacation. Jake and his daughter had a few hours for just the two of them yesterday afternoon, we all went to dinner last night and Jake had breakfast with them before they headed back to California this morning.

<3 Barbie
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Finally, a long comment post, and as I clicked the final digit to enter, the entire post disappeared! :'( Control + z simply will not reproduce it so I'm slinking off to cry myself to sleep! So sorry, but hope you are all well!
    <3 (broken) Buzz
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Oh BUZZ, I know how frustrating that is, and so sorry, hope you had a good sleep.

Well I spoke too soon about the lack of mosquitos this year. I got well and truly bitten last night whilst on "toilet" patrol in the dusk. The Bean isn't complaining so hopefully her oral flea, mosquito and tick pill is working. If I'm still around it looks as if I will have to put up with neighbour Harry's fish pond for another 4 years. He tells me he is selling up then and he and Joyce and Rheilly are moving "back up North" to where they were born.

It's not going to be quite so hot today. The temperature is dropping by 3 degrees to 33 C, so I doubt we'll notice the difference with the humidity value making it feel like 37 degrees. That's 98.6 F. I know MARIES region is higher, but it's over the top with me who's happiest at 20 or 68 F.

Oh quit moaning, Anne, you old misery. Go do what the newscaster said for keeping cool. Walk around with a cold wet cloth slapped around your neck. Mmm, very elegant I must say whilst doing the grocery shop!

Goodby from "Jungle Jim" otherwise known as Anne. ❤️
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling ANNE because our temperatures have fallen from 30c to 20c in the past few days so I can actually go outside and be productive rather than ducking into shade at every opportunity. When I go out at dusk to shut the hens in their house I come back scratching because the midges hang around a small pond in my garden and although I have a spray I could use I really don't want to spend the evening smelling of menthol and witch hazel!!

A beautiful walk this morning and I hopped onto my computer an hour ago to quickly catch up then found another email from the distant relative who made contact earlier in the week who, after one casual comment from me about trying to find my dad's long lost half sisters' families, has forwarded copies of her research notes that will save me hours of searching because she's already come upon them..... thank goodness too they were not married to Jones or Smith but Sprocking which has to be unusual so easier to find!

Barbie ~ Lovely to hear from you and learn Jake is doing well in your caring hands. Wild weather though and brave of you to walk in a storm, something I only did once with George when we got caught in one halfway round the village. Thankfully he coped really well, better than me in fact!

George was looking beautiful after his shampoo and shower yesterday to remove the poo and luckily this morning as we stood chatting to another dog walker I noticed just in time he was again rolling on his back looking very pleased with himself and was able to pull him off before he got anything on his coat.

I've spent too long at the computer so will now go and clear the boot of my car out because I'm popping over to see a friend who has a container full of wood that can be chopped for kindling. Hopefully it can store in my garage until closer to the winter months!

Enjoy your Saturday.
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Hot, Humid, Rain.....seems to be the forecast for a few of us!! I am sitting for Robby tonight and really looking forward to seeing him. I am glad his mom and dad are going out, something they rarely do. I think they are going to a luau at their Church so I hope they have fun. I will go to Church in the morning and grocery shop after that.

Jackie, is a midge a mosquito or a different kind of bug? Still waiting for the pictures of your hen house if you don't mind.

Anne, glad to hear Jilly is on heart worm pill, that can be deadly if bitten by mosquito. I actually haven't been bitten this year but you know as soon as I said that today will be the day.
    I am so tired of having my A/C on, I walk around with a sweater on most of the time and if I shut it off it gets too humid. Don't get me wrong I much prefer summer to winter, maybe just not so hot!!

Buzz, I too, hope you got a good night's sleep, things always look better in the morning.

Barbie, I guess you don't believe in the old wives tale about catching a cold from the rain.
    I am happy for Jake that his daughter and family came for a visit, I am sure that made him very happy. He seems to be doing well with his back surgery and must feel great to be out of pain.

Shirley, enjoy your daughter and sil, I hope you have a perfect weekend.

Patsy, I am hoping our weather cools down by Monday with my son and DIL coming for a visit.
    She has so many allergies and gets severe migraines I would hate to see her suffering with one due to the humidity.

To everyone else, enjoy your day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean2016
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Midges are also called gnats SANDY. Toronto was plagued by them this year. Very tiny but when they cluster watch out. Getting them up your nostrils or in your mouth is no fun and of course they splatter on windshields. Fun they are not, but I'd rather have them than a mosquito any day. I'm allergic to mosquito bites which swell up to enormous lumps which itch for days. When we emigrated no one told us about the mosquitos and I ended up being treated at the hospital because on our first night here in Quebec we merrily opened the windows of the motel (no screens) to let the air in as we did in England. Oh boy, eaten alive overnight! We had no idea about the rusty old thing named an air conditioner either!
    Memories are made of this!
    Older and wiser, Anne.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hi there!! taking advantage, sort of, of being on my laptop, which is rare these days to type a bit faster.
    Seems everryone is steaming, and being bugged, lol. I haven't been bothered too much by the bugs. One did manage to hitch a ride on my head, creepy felt it crawling on my neck.. It was not a little bug.
    We are getting rain, I hear the thunder, and now it is hitting the window. Hope it gies us more than a trickle.
    Dispatch hasn't called us and Jim hasn't called dispatch. I'm staying out of it! We were supposed to leave today.. this morning.. lol, I don't care.. we actually wanted to stay at home until Monday.

Printed my coupons, so in case I am home, I can shop!!

I've been here for a while, couple of hours, getting books loaded for Jim.
    Time to get lunch.

Hi Marie, hope you are good. You have a wonderful attitude.

Phoebe
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I see everyone is still dealing with the heat as we are. My daughter Kristina and John came last night and we didn't get to bed until midnight talking and catching up on things. I still like John, I hope their relationship continues. We will be meeting John's family his mom, dad, brother, and sister next weekend when we are on our boat cruise. They will be coming to lunch with us and see our boat.
    They are visitng Kristina's grandma now while we are taking some time for ourselves until dinner.

I did get in a walk around the neighborhood today, a hot one at that, and then a very nice shower to wash off the sweat.

This morning we enjoyed the birds and our robin feeding her two babies, there were 3 now only 2.
    Dave found the other little one on the ground. It was the last one hatched but didn't make it. The circle of life. This is the 3rd nest this summer that has been built in our patio corner. A very popular spot. ;)

I just got back from buying two new plants for the front entrance. My corner flower basket fell over today and said, " I have had enough of this hot weather". So I purchased two new flower baskets, two for the price of one, and they will get through this hot summer.

Barbie - Nice to hear from you and I hope Jake is still recovering at a quick pace. <3

Have a grand weekend.

Shirley
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Overcast today with a shower or two. Vacuuming the carpets, (dog hair!). Some laundry. We are watching an older movie tonight with Beau and Jeff Bridges called "the Fabulous Baker Boys". Great music with Michele Phiffer singing...wow! Knocks your socks off even after all these years. Some movies hold up over the years and some do not. I like this one.

Katie was feeling her oats this morning. Did many zoomies around the house, tore up lots of cardboard from the trash, and wanted in and out and in and out all morning. Now she's taking a nap and John and I are exhausted. She needs a good run and to play ball this afternoon. Too much pent up puppy energy...a dangerous condition.

Summer is so full of weather! Rain, heat, hail, wind, storms, tornados, lightning, thunder!
    Stay safe!
    Patsy
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Good advice Marie from your lovely daughter. Everyone is rooting for you and you'll be home with your sweetheart and family very soon, Anne XX
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,193 Member
    Options
    Jacean2016 wrote: »
    Good advice Marie from your lovely daughter. Everyone is rooting for you and you'll be home with your sweetheart and family very soon, Anne XX

I agree 100%. Hugs to you Marie. Alice, good post. Thank you. We all need to be reminded.

Lin
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Hugs to Marie and very good advice Alice.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :) Coastal Oregon and Washington and British Columbia seem to among the very few places in North America that aren't suffering from heat. After yesterday's rain, the sun has come out and temperatures have been around 70 degrees F in the afternoon.

<3 Barbie
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Marie,this is for you. Love ya. We want you home. You will be soon.

9alpvq5jcrm9.jpg
  • oystereyes
    Options
    There is something in the air that tells me that summer is winding down. It even smells a bit like autumn today. I have not been as active as I want or need to be. Tonight I will try to do a bit more exercise and lift a few more weights. I keep telling myself, I am not a bear, getting ready for winter. No stocking up on nuts and berries and getting set for a long winters nap. I might buy a pot of mums...there are some really pretty bronze ones at the Home Depot.
    Patsy