Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Ditto to all the comments! Nice to see so many of us posting today, but I could only skim quickly as my eyes will not stay open! I must join MARIE in taking ALICE's advice!
    <3 BUzz
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Oh PATSY, lucky you! Summer winding down! I don't think so in our neck of the woods. We are forecast a coming week of soaring temperatures yet again and the mosquitos had an evening meal of red roast Anne. A friend told me yesterday that a woman had gone into her garden to water her plants, smelt burning, saw smoke, and discovered her pot of pansies was alight! Something to do with a combination of hot sun and the chemicals in the fertilizer! I didn't hear this first hand but apparently it was on the news channel. Who would have thought a plant pot full of innocent little pansies with their kitty cat faces could set ones house alight and make one homeless!

It will come though, my very favourite season. I love late September and early October. Warm days, blue skies and cool nights for sleeping. Waving goodbye to the birds heading south, picking the lush berries and like Patsy buying a chrysanthemum for the front doorstep.

Family day today. I love family day as well! It starts with a phone call from the UK and just gets better and better.

I've had so much fun with the little Beanie that I am going to buy a journal today and write down some of the funny things she does plus my bad drawings of the said Beanie. Like Alice said to MARIE her mom, "instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can". Thanks Alice, not meant for me, but I needed that advice as well. ❤️

Enjoy the sizzling day if you are in this heatwave, it will soon be a fleeting memory,
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Nooooo, not the end of summer yet, please! It's barely begun in the UK, in fact today after a few hot sunny ones, we're back to misty, gloomy, wet. Yesterday afternoon I collected a carload of cut up timber that was once decking in a friends garden now destined for a kindling pile for fire lighting..... but not yet hopefully!!

We all got soaked on our walk today so I headed straight for a hot shower when I got home. Rather reminded me of BARBIE having to strip in the kitchen as I peeled off my soaking clothes. Housework this afternoon, long overdue, then more ratatouille to be cooked and frozen before I settle down for the evening. Pictures of George our king of the castle taken on Friday to follow when I find where the download ended!! The good news is he's now eating again, bad news it's costing me to buy frozen chicken breast. I'll try minced lamb tomorrow which could be cheaper and go further!

Enjoy your Sunday.
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    King of the castle!
    t8wqe5c03ozp.jpg
    29r7g72232ck.jpg

Oops, rather large, sorry!
    Jackie

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Absolutely love those pictures of George! He is indeed the king of your castle!! He looks very regal in the first one, just like he knew he was posing!!
    Loved being with Robby yesterday, he is just too cute!! Gave me a little bit of a hard time putting him to bed but I was warned he is going through a stage where he gets out of bed and wants to sleep with mommy and daddy. They however bring him back to bed and tell him good night. He cries for a while but does go to sleep. He will be two on Thursday and you know what they say about those terrible twos. I came home in a treacherous storm and had I known it was so bad I would have slept on their couch. The lightning really scared me and it was difficult to see the lines on the road. I survived and was grateful when I got home.

My cleaning lady is back but she is not coming until next Monday which is a bummer since I was hoping for tomorrow before my son and his wife arrive. Looks like I will be cleaning house today or tomorrow. Doing all the bedding on my bed from the sheets to the comforter so everything is nice and clean for them. Doing the rest of my laundry as well so I have tomorrow free. I still have to grocery shop which I hate so not sure if that will be today or tomorrow. Another storm is coming this afternoon so all will depend on weather.

I better get moving so I can get these things done. Have a wonderful day!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I expect to make more pogress this coming week. Am so foutuate to have you all as my buddies. Each and everyone f you. Are s o special.iwant to thank you all for kinds words and thughts.
    Barbie how is my friend jake doing. Going o close now to b sure imgot kmy pog in days in. Love,ya hugs tp all
    Marie
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Lovely day here, might get a bit toasty however. I did my morning exercises out on the deck and a sneaky cloud of biting gnats attacked me. In the larger scheme of things, I know they have a place. But believe me, I could do without gnats, mosquitos, cockroaches and spiders, wasps, and ants. These little creatures scare me. I haven't had to deal with cockroaches but that would be my undoing. I can pick slugs off my flowers and gingerly them into the forest without a second thought. I am not totally a wimp.

Anne: I absolutely love your idea of a drawing journal of dear little Jilly. I was given a copy of Jackie Kennedy's drawing journal that she did for JFK. It was drawings of her children and their pony. It is so charming. The drawings were uncomplicated but told a story of the children's adventures with the pony and a tiny cart they made for pony rides. Do share when you have a moment.

Our daughter continues to have health issues. The only plus in this is, she is an object lesson on discipline and the consequences of self indulgent behavior. My heart breaks when I see this really talented woman throw away her life. I take note of those of you here with good family relationships. I try to emulate your wise, no judgemental approach. We love her dearly. I search daily for ways to help her.

Patsy

• oystereyes
    Options
    George is too cute! How can you do anything but give him everything he wants. He is a tiny king after all!
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Love the photos of George. You walk in such amazing places! We have walking trails thru the woods but no historical elements.
    Sandy, those storms when the lightning feels like it's on the roof of your car, yes! Very scary. Glad you made it home safely. Robby must grow up, but it's hard to let him, isn't it? Terrible twos, yep, and they last until he's four, lol!
    Marie, so glad you are mending. You do see the progress you've already made, don't you? I'm so proud of you <3
    Buzz, I'm also glad you are making the transition to separate living arrangements with such a good attitude. I hope you will be able to rest a bit more.
    Barbie, I admit that cool rain would send me heading for home! Chilled to the bone is a feeling I don't like. Funny that the dogs agree with me!! Lol. Hope Jake is feeling much better now.
    Anne, if you have a sprinkler, both you and Jilly can play like kids in summer! Here in Georgia, it's very warm but it's also expected. So we adapt as much as possible. Definitely walks before taking a shower! Yard chores are for very early or late in the day. I remember my late mother in law's kitchen was like an oven when she cooked. She made no provision for the weather. Of course, summer provided lots of fresh foods from their garden.
    Shirley, are you back to the boat now? I understand about your plants and flowers. We travel too much to keep up the watering, although we have used timers in the past.
    Cleaning chores, see ya later
    Phoebe
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Oh yes PHOEBE, I've got a real water dog. Jilly loves to try and catch the water spray, she gets soaked to the skin and needs a good towel dry when we come in. The lady next doors grandchildren (not Harry etc) came to visit me today. The last time the twins came to play with Jilly Bean they begged their mommy for a puppy. Well guess what, they came to show me the most adorable, docile baby male "dachshund who they've named "bean" of all the names they could have chosen. Momma said they picked "Bean" because he's placid and docile! How come I get landed at my age with the exuberant, energetic, Jilly Bean and two lively 9 year olds get a docile puppy! Of course our holy terror leapt and bounded around the little thing whilst he looked on quite bewildered. The prettiest little pup I think I've ever seen. A long haired dachshund. One thing about our Beanie, not so pretty but she's got oodles of personality!
    And George, well he's regal, truly king of his castle and with a harem of doggie girls to play with! George really landed on his paws when JACKIE found him!
    Glad you survived the frightening drive home in the storm SANDY. I wish we could have a good old fashioned storm, as long as no one gets hurt of course. Robby, alas, like Katie and the Bean must grow up.
    Anne
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Had our midday Sunday dinner in the main dining room enjoying the company of another couple. Then went upstairs to the movie, which was Leonard DiCaprio as J Edgar Hoover. I slept through most of it and was happy when Mike woke me up to say his oxygen was empty. I left with him, as he gets lost easily, and I hadn't cared for the movie anyway, and set him up in his room, where they put him on his nebulizer and also the oxygen concentrator, and the noise was deafening so I left him to his devices!
    I love the picture of King George, and JACKIE, do you bow every time you pass him? :p I didn't mean to depress you about the flight of time, but am surrounded by back to school advertisements! You, on the other hand, are surrounded by historical moors, castles, and other awesome things!
    SANDY, hard to believe Robby is turning 2! Aren't you the industrious one doing all the bedding yourself? I just learned I can have my bedding washed in the laundry here free of charge! I just don't know how I feel about not using my own products, even though I mess up folding those darn elasticized bottom sheets!
    ANNE, I'd enjoy sharing some of our shower-cooled weather with you; it's 81 degrees outside, with intermittent downpours.
    MARIE, we are all right beside you, hoping our love supports you through your therapy and recovery! What a wonderful daughter you have. Give ALICE big hugs from us!
    PATSY. my sympathy regarding your gnat attacks, which I recall vividly from my years near the coastline in Massachusetts! One of the posts I lost asked where you live now? You mentioned Alaska, but I thought it was south of that. Be strong for yourself regarding a "fallen -off- the-right-track" daughter. You know only she can make her changes, and chances are eventually she will recognize she needs help and will either ask for it or go somewhere. Many of us have gone through dreadful times with kids who became normal productive persons along with maturity (different times for everyone!) My own experience was she appeared to resent my "help" and when I stopped offering it, she eventually returned and asked for help! When you need to talk, we will listen!
    BARBIE, I think my post asking about you and JAKE was also one of those that disappeared! How are you doing with your rather unexpected physical pains? I was always awed with your ability to accomplish all that you did! Hope you are feeling much better. And I somehow missed the particulars on JAKE's recent surgery, etc! Hope he's mending well, and could you please fill me in? I have been overly preoccupied with my own family , I guess, and I apologize!
    PHOEBE, I love your description of "adjusting to Georgia" weather! Makes me feel as if I have experienced something very special! Was your late MIL a good cook? A Southern Cook? I was amazed the first time I had chicken on waffles! I get the feeling your food preparation is quite health conscious. Dare I mention that when you are able to post a long paragraph, I always enjoy how observant you are! I think they usually come when you are back home!
    Today, I used my Notepad, so I would not lose anything permanently! The last few attempts to communicate were disastrous for me! Enjoy Sunday evening, dear friends...
    <3 Buzz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,004 Member
    Options
    :)Buzz, Jake's surgery was June 29 in Seattle. It was spinal fusion from L4 to S5, accomplished by an incision just below his navel by a general surgeon, moving things around, to allow the spine surgeon to clean out and repair and fuse something into two vertebrae to relieve pressure on the nerves. He spent two nights in the hospital. We borrowed a walker for him to use for the first few days as long as he was taking narcotic pain medication. He could walk a bit a few hours after the surgery. Part of the aftercare includes having clean towels and clothing daily and clean bedding every other day. He is able to wear only the few items of clothing that don't press on his incision so I have linens and clothing to wash every day. He is doing better every day---walking more and feeling more energetic. He'll go for an x-ray on Thursday to send to the surgeon who will use it to decide whether he's healed enough to drive. Walking the dogs will come later. I've been busy keeping him company, walking dogs, and doing laundry. I've been able to go to my dance classes. :)

<3 Barbie
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Wow, sounds very successful. I do recall it was the same hospital my friend went to for back surgery. Loads of luck.
    You said you go to your dance classes but didn't say how your condition has been. Is the problem you were having cleared up? I wish both of you the best of health from now on. For that matter, I wish the same for every one of us!
    <3 Buzz
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    No Lin today?
    Buzz, Patsy lives in Oregon. Near Astoria, I think.
    Thank you for your nice words.
    Work tomorrow, night all
    Phoebe
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Here I am up really late for some reason. It happens to me occasionally. This means tomorrow will be pretty non-productive and I will feel awful. Phoebe is right, we live in Astoria, OR. We have lived in several interesting locations. In education, to move up, you have to more to a different location as a general rule. Actually, I didn't mind. New town, new friends, new and interesting places in each location. MFP is acting odd tonight. I cannot correct my spelling or redo anything.

Our sweet little Katie goes in for the spay proceedure in a couple of weeks. Since we lost our two dear old sheepdogs, I have been doting on this puppy even more than I did on the older ones. I think it is because we were so devastated at the loss. Both of them within a few weeks. Our vet is a great guy and he also has a labradoodle puppy. It is strange, he also lost his old dog about the same time our Mazzy died. He said that experience makes people extraordinarily fearful of losing their new animal. We have become just plain silly!

I am sipping a cup of hot milk, hoping for sleep. Not sure if it will help but it always does in the movies and in novels. I hear our resident barred owl. He lives in our forest area and he has a wonderful spooky hoot. How do I know it is a he? Well...he has a deep voice or hoot, that's how I know!

I might be able to hit the sheets now. Feeling sleepy at last.
    Patsy
  • Jacean2016
    edited July 2016
    Options
    PATSY, aren't you waiting for Katie to go through her first heat before spaying? I've been advised that it's a good thing to go through the first heat and then wait for the mid point between it and the next if one intends spaying early. Something about the reproductive organ being too immature hence possible bladder problems down the road and hip displacement. I'm quite bewildered about the whole thing, but after listening to Janice and her problems with her sweet little rescue Amy (from Thailand I believe) who was already spayed when she adopted her. She's also on hormone replacement pills. I think I'll wait a while with Jilly. I guess vets like doctors all have different views. Is your vets puppy female and if so is she being spayed early? Like you, Mike and I are fearful of losing Jilly after Cinders tragic early death. I looked up "spaying your female dog - pros and cons" on the internet which advises spaying but not too early.
    Hope you don't mind this post, but any advice helps this perplexed puppy owner,
    Anne.
    PS - your previous pets - did you have them spayed early? I mentioned in an earlier post none of our previous girls were spayed hence my confusion on the subject. Jenny my lab, our largest pet, was just confined and closely monitored in the yard when on the pretty short heat time. Of course that also meant the same for Lassie and my sweet little Judy.
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Oh my! Anne: You are so right about being perplexed. Our vet does have a female, he is planning to spay his little girl before the first heat as well. We have always had sheepdogs and had them all spayed. Not sure if various breeds have more problems. They had no issues in that area at all. They developed cancer late in life. When ever it is done...I cannot risk puppies. I can barely handle Katie. If I had 5 or 6 little puppies I would need to keep them all. I simply could not send them away to another home. I would be a basket case, myself. So more research and a chat with our vet will be my next move. I realize life isn't perfect and any decision has reprocussions. I would not like her to have my problem. I pee a little when I sneeze! I guess that really is TMI. I am loopy this AM. Too little sleep.
    Patsy
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) Another storm yesterday but the rest of the week is supposed to be great with low humidity. I am not used to cleaning my own house and it is hard work. I probably should give my cleaning girl a raise, but don't tell her. I then went to the grocery store so I managed a lot of steps yesterday and the scale showed a weight loss today. :)

I am picking my son and dil up at Union Station right in the middle of rush hour, it will be a nightmare but I will manage. We will then go have dinner with his aunt who lives downtown and hopefully the traffic will let up by the time we head home. I absolutely hate driving downtown Chicago but I have to do what I have to do. B)

Tomorrow my son and Phoebe share a birthday, he is my oldest and will be 53. Hard to believe I have a son that old, time sure goes fast as we age. We have a busy week planned including Robby's 2nd birthday on Thursday. His actual party won't be until August 20 but Laurie hasn't met him and John only has seen him once. With my DIL eating gluten free it makes it more difficult but she told us not to worry about her she takes care of herself.

Prayers are still needed for our family, I am looking for a miracle but will accept whatever God's Will is for us. Thank you.

Have a wonderful day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    We had a great weekend with our daughter and her boyfriend. I hope they continue their relationship
    they have been together for 1 year now and he has been in Canada for 6 month now, he is on a tourist visa and he will start college in September for massage therapy and will get a certificate in 2 years and then his status changes to student visa. This will open doors for him to work legally while going to school.

We took them out Saturday night to the Friendship Festival which used to be a festival with the US and
    Canada since we are a border town. Over the years it has dwindled so what we saw was a very small
    carnival style festival nothing what it used to be. We walked around and then went for some ice cream and came home and watched Sherlock the BBC version. We took them down to the boat on Sunday
    and gave John a tour of the club but just chatted and no sailing this time. They went home from there.
    Kristina enjoyed her weekend of just winding down and catching up on sleep. She lives a very full
    and busy life and lives in the city. So she really enjoyed her time at home to unwind. She said she has
    to come and see us more often. I agree :)

Jackie - George is the definitely the king of the castle. He is so darn cute!
    Sandy - We skyped with Isaac and just enjoyed his antics and he was showing off for us. They are
    coming down on Aug 5th for the weekend and we will take him to a place called Zooz a large petting zoo. I can't wait to see him again. :) I bet Robby is so cute now and talking and interacting so much.
    I can't believe he will be 2 already.
    Marie - That was so nice to see Alice post that quote. Keep up the with the gym, get well Hon, we miss you here.
    Patsy, Anne, Jackie - I enjoy all the dog stories, I saw a golden doodle on the weekend she was so darling. I miss having a dog so much.
    Buzz - You seem better and more relaxed, as you can be, keep getting your sleep that also help with weight loss you know. :)
    Phoebe - Hi and I guess you are home now and housework awaits.
    Hello to Marcella and Barbie

My day is laundry ours plus sheets and towels. Never ends! My yoga instructors are on a week break
    so no yoga this week. I will keep up the exercise myself on DVD.

Have a good day everyone!

Shirley
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Thanks for replying PATSY and I'm sorry if I've thrown a spanner in your works. If your vet is doing the same with his little girl he must be feeling pretty confident that all will be well. I'm sure you can rest assured he knows what he's doing! That's why I asked. I'm not much of a worry wart usually, but Jill's thrown me for a loop! Like you I can't imagine 3 or 4 little Jilly's running around, help, stop the world I want to get off!!! Unlike you, I would be offering them free to any good home! If they resembled "mom" in disposition. So.....let us know how Katie makes out will you. I believe her and Jill are the same age - 5 months,
    Anne,