Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,133 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving friends. I may go to join some friends later on. Watching the parade right now. Doing a bit of laundry and trying to sort out the mountain newspaper ads. Oh my!!

Wishing everyone a grand day.

Jackie, I did want to mention that quite a number of years ago the doctor told me I had fibromyalgia. He gave me a prescription, told me to make sure to get lots of exercise, and after the initial onset it would probably not be as bad again. Well, that was pretty simplistic. I am not taking any medication but I am a low energy person who needs to manage how much I take on each day. I hope whatever the problem that you will find relief.

Buzz, hugs today (and each day).

Marie, I only use eggplant in recipes like soups, etc. so I have no cooking suggestions. I do ,Ike that air fryer. I just peel a potato, cut it up into small chunks, rinse it, sprinkle with seasonings and out it in the fryer. Cook, shake a few times, and presto, lovely brown tater pieces with no oil. Did you have to stop eating potatoes?

Well, onward.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving and/or Thursday! :) I will have it easy today with just going to Rob and Lisa's and having dinner. I will of course help with the clean up but they will do all the rest.
    We won't eat until after Robby and mommy's nap so will leave here around 2:30 or so. It should be a relaxed kind of Thanksgiving and for that I am grateful.

Lin, I do hope you will join your friends, did they invite you for turkey dinner?

Anne, enjoy your dinner with your son, since you don't have to cook it will be delicious.

Buzz, first holidays are always hard after we lose our loved ones. I am grateful that you have new friends to be with and share those good memories of Mike.

Marcella, your Thanksgiving sounds wonderful, relaxing and with family, what could be better?

Phoebe, are you home for the holiday or on the road? I hope no matter where you are it is a wonderful Thanksgiving Day.

Marie, did your nose bleed stop for good? If I remember right you are spending the day with Jerry. If so, just rest and take it easy today. It is very sad about Alice's Sydney.

Jackie, sorry to read that you are still in pain and do hope it is not fibromyalgia When I had sciatica pain and had the surgery it was to remove a portion of the bone that was pressing on the nerve. I will be interested to hear what the conclusion will be. In the meantime take care of yourself and don't overdo.

Have a very happy Thanksgiving and/or a very happy Thursday!!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I was worried that by me taking this blood thinner medications It may not stop but it did and no more problems with it..i thinke it was my sinuss that made it bleed.
    Marie
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    JACKIE, I'm so sorry you are suffering with back pain, and wish you the very best of luck tomorrow. Back pain is the worst. How are you managing bending down to feed George and the puss cats? Wish I could help you, I really do!

Thought the following might give you all a smile. Remember Miss Jilly chewed up her little red sweater lovingly made by me. Well, no way was I going to knit another one to be chewed up. Mike turned up with our lunch (roast potatoes, roast carrots and parsnips, roast pork etc) and we drove over to a pet store to look at sweaters. We tried on 4 or 5 and I ended up buying a deep pink felt top with a zip for easy removal. It was quite cold so Jilly wore it to sit outside the grocery store while I popped in. Mike sat on a seat and she had her back to the world as she sat on his knee and cuddled into his neck. A lady rushed up and suddenly stopped in her tracks and started laughing. "Oh my" she said "I thought you had a newborn baby girl with very black hair wrapped in a pink blanket." "She IS a baby girl of 9 months" we said.

Are you all recovering from your turkey dinners and maybe good port wine? Hope so, but I bet it was worth it!
    Anne.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving All!!!

I have fond memories of celebrating American Thanksgiving with friends when we lived in Denver. What a great family holiday.

Sandi Yes, Maggie is in the hospital. I was there with Melanie and her for about 4 hrs today. To visit and allow Mel to have a break. MAggie has had cold after cold and her oxygen levels are down. She has a bad cough but no fever thankfully and lots of smiles for everyone. Everyone thinks she is the ultimate Gerber Baby with all her smiles. They are playng it safe. She failed her oxygen test today, hope for tomorrow. As Mel is breastfeeding she has to stay with her. People have been stepping in to help but everyone will be glad when Mel can come home.

I had surgery on my left little finger in Tuesday for Dupuytrens. It was way better than I thought and it not as awkward as I envisioned. But I can't get it wet. Still sore but not too bad. See the doctor on Monday to change the dressing.

My shoulder is reacting pretty good to the cortisone shot I got. Not 100% but way better.

Got to go. Hope everyone is enjoying the day and weekend.

Jeri

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Our Thanksgiving feast (yes, it really was!) was excellent this year...not at all institutionalized!Everything was tasty and looked beautiful, and our table had 2 of us who were celebrating this holiday for the 1st time since losing our mate except my friend had the added grief of her late husband's birthday falling on Thanksgiving this year! Recalling his months of severe suffering, I am thankful Mike did not go through the horrible physical aspects. And I heard from all of his children as well as my own. I must be prepared tomorrow for an iPad face-something meeting with my Northeast family since I just was not up to facing cameras today! Looks like my son and daughter-in-law will be moving to Germany this winter, but cannot take the dog he brought from Hawaii. We'll all be heartbroken, and I'm almost tempted to take Scruffy, but don't feel up to the care he requires. He's really a snuggly curly black love and I hope they either find a good home for him or change their minds! Giving up a dog seems to me like giving away a child, and I know there are those who would argue, but that's how I felt about my sweeties!
    ANNE, you passed the Thanksgiving Day test better than most of us could have done, so a double hurrah for you!
    I have a huge decision to make regarding should I stay with my HMO or return to traditional Medicare, supplement and Part D? The latter seems so complicated to me this coming year! Right now, a therapist is coming to my home 3 times a week to wrap my legs for lymphadema.The swelling is definitely reducing, and I hope the weeping wounds will respond, as well! Now, since I got to bed at 6:30 AM this morning, I wil go to Amazon and see about ordering a leg wedge, and then get to bed early.
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Aahhhhh, I just managed to wipe a long, long post with an inadvertent finger movement and no time to start again at the moment because my hens need a good house clean and since the sun is shining in spite of a cold wind I'm going to complete that task. A busy day but things should quieten down later.

Jackie
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed wonderful food and drink with the family yesterday. But only as much as it took to be satisfied and mostly just real foods. Left off the dessert. Slept great and woke up refreshed after standing and cooking and doing dishes most of yesterday. Maybe there should be a cardio exercise for holiday food prep/kitchen duty.

This gives me hope for getting through the rest of the holidays without sabotage. I really want to stay strong and just get to my final goal by the end of May or June (after basically doing nothing for all of 2016). I'm just ready to finish the process and move to maintenance.

Happy Black Friday Shopping Day!
    Marcella
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) I do not leave the house or go near any store on Black Friday, it could be dangerous. :p I am going to put up my Christmas decorations and relax. Our Thanksgiving dinner was wonderful, it was a perfect day and I am grateful.

Marcella, your day also sounds like it was perfect. Good for you on being cautious with food, I wish I could say the same. But pulling up my britches and will start again.

Jackie, I hate when that happens and it usually is with a long, long post.

Buzz, I am happy to read your Thanksgiving dinner was excellent and even happier that all the children called you. I do hope they change their minds and take Scruffy with them. I personally have medicare with blue cross blue shield supplement and pay nothing out of my pocket. I do not have prescription because I do not take any prescribed medicines.

Jeri, so sorry about Maggie and pray she gets well fast. How scary for mom and all of you.
    I am glad your surgery went well, it seems like when it rains it pours.

Anne, cute story about Jilly and being curled up to Mike. She is definitely your baby, so the lady was correct. I am glad you found a coat to keep her warm. Mike's dinner sounds delicious, does he deliver to Illinois?

Marie, I hope your Thanksgiving was great and with the Cowboys winning I am sure it was!!

Lin, busy, busy, busy!! Are you shopping with the crowds?

Have a wonderful day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hello and I hope everyone had a wonderful dinner yesterday. We just finished shopping and my knee
    is really sore after shopping so icing it now and going to friends house for pizza.

Shirley
  • linder4866
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Good evening,

Jackie, I am sorry you lost your post. That is most frustrating. I hope you had a good day. I have just made my last cup of tea for today. I hope your next post will be more durable. :D

Sandy, I understand wanting to stay indoors. I have done some shopping online today. It haven't left the house except to get the mail. I spent most of the day working on paperwork, paying bills, checking online accounts and actually made some progress for once! I took my completed envelopes to the outgoing mailbox and picked up my mail and oh gosh, more stuff to complete. But not as much as I finished today. I took down my pilgrim and put up a little red sock on my front door. I have decorated! :D

Shirley, I am sorry your knee is sore. Shopping will do that!! Take care the rest of the weekend.

Marcella, what a lovely Thanksgiving. It is great to feel in control. Two thumbs up.

Buzz, I understand how difficult these decisions are. I did not care for the Advantage plan so went with Medicare, Supplemental plan and Rx. I only take one prescription but if you do not have creditable coverage, the late signup penalty lasts for your lifetime so I decided I would just get in and stay in. You never know what tomorrow will bring right? Also cost is becoming more of a factor. Just so many things to balance and examine before making a decision. I hope your day went well and also that you continue to try to get rest.

Jeri, I am sorry for the illness in your family. May recovery be swift. I hope the recovery from your surgery will go well.

Anne, I can imagine how lovely little Jilly is in her new outfit. So yes, that is a hint for a new picture. B)

Wishing everyone well. Tomorrow I will continue to slug through the paperwork. I got my notice already for my income tax appointment. Yipes!!!!

Hugs.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    As you will have noticed I didn't get back to posting yesterday as time just flew. This morning we've had what can only be called bleak weather.... grey, misty, cold to the bones sort of feeling so I've returned to a hot shower and now plan to do a little housework, light my multi fuel stove and watch rugby on tv. Wow, just as I type a hint of sunshine has crept in the window so that's cheering as it was promised by a beautiful sunset last night, in fact I took a photo across the valley towards our local church spire which looked so seasonal when I popped out for some coal from the bunker.
    oxlarq2owtpy.jpg

Lin ~ My GP is looking at all options with my aching legs but I'm still convinced it's because I had to take time out of much exercise for a few months during my treatment last year so they're doing catch up. She could tell from the face I pulled the hint of steroids as treatment for fibromyalgia was not good news so a check with a physio for exercises is more my sort of thing. Having run out of milk yesterday I tried soya in my tea in desperation... yuk, not great but better than nothing!! You did make me laugh about your red stocking being hung on your door for decoration. You're ahead of me though since my first Christmas card is my only decoration to-date!!

Anne ~ Do let us have a photo of Jilly's new coat as I'm betting she looks adorable in it. Of course she's your baby much as George is my naughty teenager!! Don't worry about my gangs' mealtimes because I've learned to bend badly to get all 4 bowls down on to the kitchen floor otherwise be constantly nagged and tripped up! No doubt the physio will nag me instead and I'll get my back sorted in the end but thank you for being concerned.

Marcella ~ Well done for being so strong and avoiding certain foods during celebrations. I'm sure the biggest battle to lose weight goes on in the head and once in the right frame of mind it becomes easier so am seeing you losing the pounds you want next year without a fight! Did you manage to sneak the "gormless" word in anywhere? LOL

Sandy ~ My plans yesterday after the trip to my GP nurse was to go shopping but luckily I asked my morning walk friend if she needed anything in town and her response was "wow, you're brave to go near shops on Black Friday", something I'd forgotten about so like you stayed away!

Buzz ~ You are like a little night owl doing your best work when everyone else sleeps but so long as you can find time to rest during the day it's probably best to go with the flow right now. Anniversaries of any kind will be a struggle so I was relieved for you that family members are not only thinking of you but making contact too.

Shirley ~ Sorry to read your knee is still painful which would certainly get in the way of serious shopping. Pizza sounds like perfect comfort food.... not too much though!! LOL

Goodness, lunchtime already so I think I'll bake a potato and pop baked beans and a rasher of bacon on top as my own comfort food because in the cold weather salads are a no-no.

Have a good weekend everyone. <3
    Jackie
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    What can I say, the day is dull and grey,
    But here's Miss Jilly Bean cheering it up.
    She'll have difficulty chewing holes in this stylish top, lol.
    Anne.
    g9u6ei0glanw.jpg
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Don't be too sure about that Anne. I'm working this out,
    Jilly.
    3yhhlz9zvba3.jpg
  • linder4866
    Options
    Yes!! Adorable Jilly. :D Thanks Anne..
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Good morning all,

Thanks Sandy and Lin. My hand seems to be doing very good yesterday at least Maggie was somewhat better. So hard for a huge family to have their Mom away from the family. Hopefully she'll be able to come home soon.

Buzz a big hug to you and good luck in sorting out all the medical issues.

Jackie my legs used to ache horribly at night. So bad. I have fibromyalgia as well. For a couple of years I stopped eating 100% eggs, gluten and dairy. I now can tolerate a little bit of eggs and gluten now, but no milk. Mostly my legs don't hurt anymore. Every once in awhile they do but not consistently. I don't know if my change in diet helped and whether helping to heal the "leaky gut" due to fibromyalgia was part of it. But I am so glad not to have that nightly pain.

Sandy I didn't get a chance to tell you how cute Robbie is getting. Wow. I just noticed I had spelled your name wrong the other day. I have a friend who spells her name Sandi and I got confused. With a name like Jeri, mine is spelled wrong all the time so I am very sorry. :*

Anne adorable

Lin I laughed at your comment about the adds. Ed spent all evening looking at ads. Better him than me. Lol

Have a great day to all

Jeri
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    jilly is so cute in her new coat.
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Sandy - Happy to year your Thanksgiving was so nice. Enjoy the decorating.

Marie - Couldn’t help but think about you as we watched the Cowboys win on Thanksgiving.

Lin - “I took down my pilgrim and put up a little red sock on my front door. I have decorated!” That’s awesome! We will do a little more than that, but nothing like we did years ago. Keeping it simple has made this time of year more enjoyable for us.

Jackie - Thank you for sharing the photo. Just, “Wow!” Also, yes the battle is in the head and I’m ready and focused now on reaching the weight goal. Yes, not only did I use the word “gormless” during the Thanksgiving meal discussion, but it sent both sons to Google and further discussions of interesting terms used in different countries. Meal conversations at our home are seldom boring and often random. I love it!

Anne - Love, love, love Jilly’s new coat! She seems to be taking to the camera. She's obviously a natural born little model!

Jeri - Happy the hand is better.

I'm looking forward to laundry, office work, some light cleaning and a bit of holiday decorating for the next two days. Nothing stressful, just taking it easy and enjoying NOT being out in the madness of consumerism at the malls. I guess, one of the nicest things about getting older is needing less. Or at least not needing it enough to fight the crowds for it! Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend. <3
    Marcella
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Saturday!! :) My decorating is all done and it does look nice if I say so myself. lol I had ordered the few gifts I buy from Amazon and all have arrived. Ornaments from Hallmark and the cards are bought (not from Hallmark but from the dollar store) so I am basically done with all my Christmas gifts since most everyone gets cash. I can enjoy the holiday season although I am still having a hard time actually believing it is almost Christmas.
    Mass tonight and possibly will stop at Babe's although I really need groceries. Tomorrow meeting with a friend so my weekend is planned.

Marcella, I have cut way down on my decorating as well, especially since no one seems to visit me. I love that you have great meals with your family, it has to be nice having them at home.

Marie, how are you feeling? How is Jerry?

Jeri, I pray Maggie comes home soon, I am sure the other kids are missing mom and baby sister. You can spell my name anyway you like, I answer to most anything. lol However, Robby is with a "Y", his daddy says "ie" is a girl's name. Lots of people want to spell it Robbie but we correct them in a polite way. lol

Lin, whenever I get caught up on paperwork I feel as though I have accomplished a lot. Love your little red sock please share a picture.

Anne, omg, Jilly is just so adorable in her new coat!! She looks like a little princess, all she needs is the crown!!

Jackie, beautiful picture, so very English!! I do hope you can cure your leg pain with exercise rather than pills. Jeri's advice might be something to try as well. Glad you stayed away from the crowds of shoppers, I think it will be safe to grocery shop today at least I hope so.

Shirley, brave soul who shops on Black Friday, did you find any great deals?

Patsy, is everything okay in Oregon, missing you.

Have a wonderful day!!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time