Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Pulled back bedroom curtains to discover a white scene! George was walked around the short village route and I then headed to the leisure centre for our weekly swim although one friend phoned me to say it was too icy where she lives so she wouldn't risk the journey. Home again and with some sunshine it feels pleasant so I must decide whether to clean out the hens or wait a day or so in the hope the ground will become less muddy. Big decisions in my life :D LOL

Marcella ~ That was quite a social trip and I can imagine great fun to catch up with so many friends and family. A lovely photo but of course you outshine the camellia!! My pink plant is just now flowering when normally it's out end January and 2 white camellias have shown no interest in even offering buds at the moment. Can't say I blame them when it's cold and icy! Sounds as if your musical son has had a very productive time while you were away which must be so exciting.

Lin ~ Something I've learned over the years is that you can't force creative juices so if not in the mood don't bother! Easter flowers and bunnies sound far more delightful than a little green lepricorn any day but then I'm not Irish!
    rulqao8aauqd.jpg

Sandy ~ My hair does that to me all the time, look at its best a few days before an appointment to cut it but it has always been too thick to grow very long so I live with it! I don't think the mess up at the Oscars was Warren's fault because he was handed the wrong card but then accidents can happen anywhere!!

A quick hello to everyone else as I must get on with a cooked lunch because I have to walk George again before a yoga class at 5pm and then if I can scrounge a couple of eggs from my neighbour because my chooks still aren't laying, I will be making pancakes with lemon and sugar this evening to mark Shrove Tuesday or, as we call it in the UK, Pancake day!!

Jackie
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    And I bet your grandchildren love you equally JERI. What wonderful memories they will have of grandma and grandpa when they are our age. My favourite photo you posted was when they were all sitting on that giant shoe or rather boot. Any chance of posting it again for anyone who might have missed it? It was delightful.
    Our weather is pretty darn good at the moment for the end of "February fill **** (or ditch). (There's one for JACKIE) So good that The Bean and I went and raked up the leaves that had accumulated over the winter. Didn't see any of those little creatures tucked inside their houses LIN. Okay, conversation over - promise.
    MARIE, terrible accident and could have been much worse if you had broken your hip like my late friend Penny did when she fell out of bed. If you can't find side rails at least push one side of the bed against a wall and sleep on that side.
    You are a bonny (beautiful) wee lass MARCELLE, bonny wee flowers as well.
    And on that note I'll buzz off. Greetings to EVERYONE on this last day of the month.
    Anne.
  • jacean2017
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This site wouldn't let me use the original good old English word meaning ditch in its old form. Even though February fill **** is a very old saying! It changed the word to kitten of all things! Isn't it sad how perfectly good English gets abused and changed to words not accepted anymore. Gay is a good example. Sigh.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,199 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Rain overnight but right now it is sunny. Apparently the forecast has changed to rain later today or tomorrow. Well, I will keep an umbrella in the car. :D I need to stop by the library and the Post Office before going to play Mah Jongg. This afternoon I am getting a haircut so I have washed my hair and have out nothing in it as he prefers to cut hair with no type of spray or other product in it. I will not look in the mirror.

Well Tuesday may be pancake day here for many people but to me it is still Mardi Gras!! Fat Tuesday says it all for me.

Anne, I get somewhat irritated by the auto correct that regularly messes up what I am trying to say. And thank you, no more discussion of those little creatures. Haaaa. Hello Jilly.

Jeri, oh my, looking after all those lovely grandchildren for several days sounds positively tiring but lovely for them. I certainly remember well the times I spent with my grandparents. Very fond memories. You and Ed are wonderful people.

Jackie, I did finish those cards and now am dreaming of what I can start to put together for spring and Easter. That definitely sounds like more fun. George is quite lucky to have a conscientious owner, so many people here just let the dog out into a fenced area. I did one big walk with my dogs each day and maybe a short walk in the evening. But usually play time in the back yard and lots of the in and out of the house syndrome. Lucky Master George. By the way, I hope yoga went well!

Marcella, welcome home. The trip sounds just perfect to me. And thank you for the lovely photo. Gorgeous!!!

Marie, I hope you are okay today---Jerry as well.

Time to zip along. Time flies!!

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,140 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) Big storms are heading our way, so I am not going anywhere. I decided to let my regular girl trim my hair today after her day job. My niece is 45 minutes away and it is so convenient that Tiffini comes to my house. Although I like my niece's haircuts better I will make do. (no pun intended) I am not sure I mentioned that my other niece, my godchild, was diagnosed with breast cancer. She went yesterday for a lumpectomy and the removal of two lymph nodes and was home the same day. She is recovering nicely with a great husband who takes good care of her. Please keep her in your prayers that they got it all with
    no re-occurrence. <3

Lin, in my family it is known as Fat Tuesday and being Polish they eat, Pączki (POHNCH-kee) which are fried rounds of yeast dough with rosehip, prune, apricot, strawberry, raspberry or sweet cheese filling. I do not indulge, just looking at them makes me gain weight!!

Anne, yes MFP is very much into censorship even for the most innocent words. I am trying to figure our what word you are trying to write to look on google but I am stumped.

Jackie, love your little leprechaun even though I am not Irish. Decided to wait on color and just have the back trimmed. The problems of being a woman!

Jeri, I don't think you will have a problem with all that you do. Just being with the grandchildren is exercise enough. lol

Marie, you are a lucky woman to get one of Lin's homemade cards, I bet it was beautiful!!

Buzz, salt is such a water retainer and I am making myself Italian sausage tonight so I will expect a weight gain tomorrow even though I am eating low carb.

Marcella, welcome back and I agree with everyone, you look great!! Such a pretty picture with all those pretty flowers. I am glad you had a good time in Florida.

Have a wonderful day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• jacean2017
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Okay SANDY, the word I would use for a rainwater DITCH is what is used today to describe a masculine woman beginning with D. Get it?
    In America you would call a D*** or a ditch, a levee I believe. Probably D*** was Viking originally. Just looked the word up under Wikipedia. Cheers, Anne.
  • Sandydur
    edited February 2017
    Options
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Dell just cleaned up my slow PC and now I cannot get pictures on mfp!!! Anyone know what setting they screwed up? I'm afraid to change the wrong one and lose everything! Think I'll go have lunch or whatever. :s
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Yesterday's yoga is still with me since one of the exercises was to kneel for some time and my knees don't like that these days! Even so the tutor was delighted at the end of the session to see I can now stretch out the leg that had seized up due to the arthritic hip so it's all worth it! My pancakes were delicious having asked my neighbour for a couple of eggs but today I need to get back to plenty of green veggies! Not the best day as it's drizzly so no gardening but I do have sugar soap to wash the kitchen walls before painting so think I'll attack that job.

Buzz ~ The only thing I can think you might try is to go to Recovery which you'll find in Control Panel, open system restore and choose a date to reset your computer. When I do it I only ever go back a couple of days and it does seem to clear any hiccups!

Lin ~ Luckily I love my walks with George whether with Scruff and her mum or on our own and as Anne has discovered walking Jilly it's a great way to meet others in the community. Today we met a man with his 2 Huskies and I commented that if ever dogs could constantly smile his do with those gorgeous blue eyes and turned up mouths! Of course there are days when I look out at wind and rain and wish we didn't have to go but once dressed for it and on our way I feel so much better for and do feel sorry for dogs that don't get the exercise they need. They do say even a house is like a larger kennel or cage to a dog so I bare that in mind for George.

Sandy ~ Many years ago I made a pact with my hairdresser that if ever I asked her to do something with my hair that would make me look a silly old woman trying to look young she was to tell me!! Sometimes I do think I should let the grey grow out but then opt for highlights because they make me feel better about myself. She's not yet told me I should stop!! So sorry to read about your God daughter's surgery and do hope that's it and she'll be on the road to recovery.

Oops, midday so I'd better get on with clearing the kitchen out before painting.

Jackie
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Happy blowy March day, a warm day here as well, but will plunge in temperature again tomorrow.

JACKIE dogs DO smile, I'm sure of it. My little one opens her mouth in a happy grin. I know she's laughing because she's rearing up, tail wagging and eyes sparkling with mischief. Plus people will often remark that she is such a happy little thing. I know what you mean about going out on miserable days though, but then I look at the children plodding off to school. At least we get to come home to a dog biccy, her, and a cuppa, me!

Hair, ah the bane of my life. Like Jackie mines fairly thick and in the past I would have it all chopped off. However, I'm trying to grow it. It's shoulder length right now and utterly wild and uncontrollable. Great in a young damsel, but not so in an old crone like me! I've got this urge to be a story book granny, specs on nose and white hair up in a bun. However it's taking its time going grey, let alone white. This means at the moment I look like one of Shakespeare's witches! I, like SANDY was with her remaining 2lb weight loss, am determined to achieve this goal of upswept whiskers in a glorious controlled bun and at the moment I'm hiding it under a woolly hat when out, or scraping it back like a scraped eel when cooking.

Asking the sons if I look like mutton dressed as lamb is no help at all. All I get is a muttered looks alright to me Mom. Janice did remark a scarf hairband might suit me. Mmmm.

Anne, where's my broomstick, Whoops sweeping brush.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Sitting in my nightie, almost noon, no breakfast, trying to figure out my bankbook vs online figures!!! I really am losing it, but I may (?) finally have that pretty close! I used to be correct to the penny, but I've lost all hope of being that precise. For instance, Social Security never cashed the "overpayment" check I sent them! Back in November!!! So they took it out this month (February, actually last month). That's why I'm so late today because I was already pumping my legs at 6:45 this morning. Before thinking about food, I decided to call SSA and find out about my check, and you can guess the rest!!! I'm logging off, since it's actually lunchtime, showering, dressing and eating! Am I going nuts? Oh, all the pictures finally showed up today with no action on my part. Thanks anyway, JACKIE. As far as hair goes, ANNE and JACKIE, mine is probably inappropriate for almost 90, but growing it longer (and it really is getting there) seems to cover those sparse areas in the back of my head very nicely!
    jbgh652h3ot0.jpg
    I don't think it seems too long yet. And I do think allowing nature to choose my color at this stage looks a lot more natural than the flaming redheads and dark hair on many of my neighbors.
    A very dear neighbor (97 years old) just phoned to say he's delivering 4 boxes of Costco blueberries he just bought for me, and I must slip into something more appropriate quickly!
    I'm starved!
    <3 Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    How do I cut down the size of a picture for here?
  • jacean2017
    edited March 2017
    Options
    BUZZ, your hair looks pretty perfect to me, very pretty, as are you. Anyway, who was the "expert" who said we should go around with short, short hair as we age, unless it's our own wish? Some bloke no doubt! and a hairdresser at that! Mop heads unite!
    Anne
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Ash Wednesday or just plain Wednesday!! I went to Mass and got my ashes and when in Church I realized I had eaten meat this morning and we are not supposed to eat meat and fast with three small meals today. (Catholic) I told the priest on my way out and he said I was fine since I forgot!! So instead of my hamburger that i have defrosted I will have hard boiled eggs for dinner. No meat on the Fridays of lent either, so I hope I don't forget. I think I really get a pass on all of it because of my age, but as long as I can I will.
    Not sure if I am going to bingo tonight, waiting to see if my friend is going.

Buzz, I think your hair looks terrific, it is hard to believe you are almost 90. I had my hair hacked off in the back, but I like it and will like it better once I get used to it. I loved my hair long and there are times when I think it would be nice to be able to throw it in a pony tail or a bun without having to curl it everyday. I think it would take too long to grow and the middle stage would drive me crazy!!!! You have to edit your picture with a picture editor, but it is fine big, easier for our older eyes.

Anne, I think dogs smile also, some more than others. Jilly is a happy girl so I am sure she gives you big smiles. Daisy also loves to walk so I am glad Babe pays a dog walker to walk her.

Jackie, I too, prefer highlights to be all blonde but actually when I first get it done it looks mostly blonde because my hair is so fine and takes so easy. If I have somewhere important to be I try to plan it with a haircut after the highlighting so some of my brown will show. I have good genes and neither my mother or my father had much grey hair, so neither do I.

Back to watching April the giraffe who is in labor and they show live feed so we can all watch her give birth. Some people have been watching for a week so I hope she delivers soon.

Have a good one!!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    i agreed with Sandy 100%
  • linder4866
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Buzz, your hair looks lovely!! My hair is cut very short. I don't have enough hair to let it grow out. You ladies with loads of hair please enjoy it!! I gave up all color and highlights quite a while ago and am happy without it now. But my scalp started to burn whenever I got color so really not another decision to make there.

I went to Tai Chi/Qigong this morning and then to the library. On to Michael's to pick up one item on sale and then to the store to pick up several bags of groceries to take to the funeral for the food bank donation.

I spent the rest of the day playing with ink, paper and coloring some texture paste to use on a stencil. And then I cut up some card stock to do use later to mess about with trying some stamping. My hands are kind of green this evening but I don't mind as mixing several colors of green was fun!! :D

We had cold, wind and on and off snow today. I was happy to be inside as much as possible.

I got a glass pot in the mail today so I am trying to make some cold brew coffee. There were no instructions so I just wished it up, threw some coffee grounds in the center mesh thing and added cold water, popped in the lid and stuck it in the refrigerator. Now I wonder how long to wait? A day? More?

I am not watching the giraffe and I don't have any TV shows that I follow so I am back online again I watch Acorn TV often with British TV shows. I can always watch Poirot or Midsomer Murders if I cannot find anything else.

I agree that dogs smile and I think they can look sad, annoyed and angry for that matter.

Jackie, good job with the yoga. Excellent progress.

Tomorrow should be a bit of fun at the library--cards perhaps. And I suppose I should think about what I will wear to the funeral and make sure I have enough gas in the car and figure out where the church might be_I have never been there.

Going to color a bit, read and then off to bed. Good nite.

Hugs.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Today we are looking through a weather window at blue skies and warm sunshine. I call it a window only because either side is the usual Atlantic wet, windy stuff blowing in but today we doggie walkers made the most of the break and after a stroll through the local woods climbed stiles, walked across open fields and tiptoed over granite slabs placed across rivers. Great fun but also a reminder we can't hop or clamber over obstacles the way we used to but instead tread very carefully! I had thought to take my camera and put a short video together but decided climbing with a camera swinging around my neck probably wasn't a good idea since I need both hands to hold on to anything that will take my weight!! My morning coffee has just been enjoyed outside in the garden where a flowering Daphne shrub swamps me with her scent and reminds me Spring has officially arrived so I've made a few weeding and pruning plans once the hen house is mucked out.

On the subject of smiling dogs, George has more of a grin as he shows his teeth in a crooked sort of way!

Sandy ~ Although not Catholic I do try to follow Ash Wednesday and lent in my own fashion so enjoyed a piece of fish with steamed veggies yesterday. Tuna salad today which isn't very imaginative but easy to throw together so you can tell from this I'll be lucky to make the full 6 weeks!!

Nearly midday so I must crack on. Enjoy your day whatever is planned.
    Jackie
  • jacean2017
    Options
    For anyone who doesn't like creepy crawlies out there, my vet has just sent me an enlarged picture of a tick! Apparently because of recent temperatures above 40F tick season has begun! Yes, they've reached southern Ontario.

Hello everybody, I guess you could say springs reached here JACKIE, although presently it is minus 5 centigrade so who would have guessed. I had fish yesterday as well, it's nice to keep the old traditions alive and gives us all something to look forward to. Like pancake (crepes as opposed to the thick pancakes over here) Tuesday.

Jilly is confined to indoors and the garden. No prizes for guessing why!
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Good morning, cold, overcast and light snow here this morning. I am getting ready to meet the library ladies a bit later. I was going to make a trip to Trader Joe's this morning for a couple of fresh items but sitting here with a warm cup of coffee sounds much nicer. :)

The walk, as always, sounds fascinating and enjoyable Jackie ! Maybe we should all pitch in and get you a GoPro to wear on your head as you saunter about. Then we could really join in.

Anne, I had to laugh, here in my little patch of the Midwest there was no pancake other than the big fat giant pancake. Crepes? Non-existent in our family. But the big pancakes slathered with butter and syrup were much appreciated. Our family went on a car trip to California one winter and I ate pancakes each and every day we travelled. No need for a menu. :D

Well the first attempt at cold brewed coffee is not going well. Not much taste yet and methinks I did not add enough coffee initially. No worries, it is coffee and I will drink it regardless!

Stay safe friends.

Hugs.

Lin
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Looks like it's taken a cooler turn here as well today. Last week I was enjoying shorts and sleeveless tops in Florida. This weekend, my husband and I will be attending the "Tiny House" Festival in Eatonton, Georgia. I've checked the weather and it looks like I will be in jeans, sweater and coat. Should be fun anyway. And no...we are not thinking about getting a tiny house. It just looked like a fun thing to do and might give us some cute ideas for the camper. We will be staying in Eatonton on Friday night (only about 2 hours from where we live) and then returning home late Saturday. We've seen so many Tiny House shows on TV, we thought it would be fun to see some in person. :)
    Marcella