Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    It was supposed to rain today but so far the ground is barely damp. At five this morning I was woken by Brady bringing in a live mouse and George deciding he'd become a cat too. Of course Brady soon lost interest so with a new Bravecto pipette squeezed on to the back of his neck he went out while George continued to sniff around. Doors are now left open in the hopes the poor little creature finds its way out and to safety. Yesterday's dog show was fun and Scruff won another rosette, this time for "special" rescue dog. Dear George stood beside her in the show ring but was generally wary and just a bit grumpy with the judge so no rosette but then as far as I'm concerned he's very special to me and I've grown to love his grumpiness! We tried an agility run between 2 fences that had about 10 jumps in a line but initially when I handed him over to the lady in charge and began to walk to the other end of the course he panicked thinking I was leaving him with a stranger so Scruff's mum took over until he settled then ran and jumped when I called like a professional agility dog! It's a reminder of his past and how it comes back to haunt him when I least expect. Today is pickling and cooking time to use up some of the allotment produce and I must also keep checking the cat trap that yesterday caught a different black cat but still no ginger moggy.

Lin ~ Would have loved your company at the local Fayre although you'd have been disappointed at the lack of crafts. Next Saturday we are travelling to a beautiful house and park called Mount Edgecombe for a larger event and lots of doggie agility so hop on a plane and come on over!! :):)
    1ksjgyrfnquw.jpg

Sandy ~ If we had the humidity you suffer I'd have to get air conditioning but being almost surrounded by the sea we always have some sort of breeze if not gales to keep the air clear. Most heating systems in this area run on oil which can get expensive depending on what's going on in the world with either wars in the Middle East or the Russians getting upset with us but I know I can't assume I'll always be able to carry coal into my cottage from the bunker as I get older! The pull on bras I wear are called SLOGGI and although not particularly cheap are well made, extremely comfortable and last a long time. Here's a link but not sure they are available in the US
    https://www.justsloggi.co.uk/pull-on-bra

Anne ~ A great buy, that rug of yours that I'd say will keep your tootsies warm in the Winter months! Why is it that our home grown veggies do taste even better than organically grown sold in the shop varieties? Perhaps it is the fact we can enjoy them straight out of the ground.

Buzz ~ I do hope the card making you so love won't have to be put to one side but if RSI is giving you gyp then perhaps you should ease up until you feel some improvements. I suppose carpal tunnel needs more done to ease the pain so let's hope it isn't that.

Time to feed George his brunch and then wait to see if the postman notices my new mailbox.... I have my doubts!!

Happy Monday to you all.
    Jackie
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi everybody, I love the look of the Sloggi bras JACKIE and also the Triumph. I'd forgotten all about Triumph! I sometimes buy Triumph Lacy knickers so I wonder if they also sell Sloggi's but under a different name maybe? I will have a look next time I'm at The Bay. Thanks for the link. Meanwhile. Feel like becoming an American and Canadian professional supplier? Sort of long distance Avon lady. LOL. (Sure anne, alongside gardening, beekeeping, cleaning, pet keeping and now George training for dog shows, plus the good stuff like mouse catching, cat catching and general washing of muddy George and clothes, honest I'm only kidding!) The prices are comparable to bras in Canada of similar quality.

I've got the family over again with no rug hunting in stores, it being a holiday and I've already got it. Still pleased and Jilly approves after cautiously walking across it to get to her bed. No way could Jilly be trained as a show dog. Although quite well trained in the usual sit, come, commands from family she would be far too interested in the folks watching her. Rather stubborn and independent she would go her own way I'm afraid and bound over to the judges or other dogs. I think George did very well considering his past, Jill has no such excuse! I think she thinks she's a human still to grow.

Well, I better get on and do the little I'm going to do today,
    Have fun everybody,
    Anne.

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,178 Member
    Options
    We have sprinkles here from time to time but not rain which we do need! Packing up for the plarn day. Although my hands are really not in the mood to do this at all. For some reason this activity leaves my hands aching or numb. I guess I will talk more than working and may leave early.

My friend has to have another surgery today. Her first surgery required that muscle and skin be moved to the area (a graft) and it has not worked. It is infected and apparently dying. They are checking her kidneys to make sure they are still okay given the continued fever, inability to keep any food down etc. So I may go to the hospital to wait with some others. My friend's family is worried.

Okay, her friends are worried as well.

If I could quickly and I expensively get to your location Jackie, I would be there immediately to attend the upcoming event. Oh my, what a stately structure.

Buzz, I hope you get some type of glove or brace so that you are able to type once again.

Anne, enjoy the day with your family. Holidays can be so pleasant.

Time to pack, pack, pack again.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,122 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) Laundry Day!! It is beautiful outside but I think showers are in the forecast. I thought I might be able to go to pool for a little while before sitting but jury is still out.

Lin, I am so sorry about your friend, she is a fighter so I hope her surgery is successful. I will keep her in my prayers as well as you. Don't push yourself if your hands get too sore.

Anne, your rug sounds perfect, we will need to see a picture please. The bra that Jackie is showing looks very similar to the Coobie Bra. Since I don't understand how to convert from English to American money I am confused with the prices.

Patsy, I am impressed you can do your own grooming on such a big dog. Babe has someone come to his house in a grooming truck for Daisy, he cut it down from every week to every two weeks I believe because her skin was getting to dry.

Buzz, I do hope a brace will help you and no surgery will be needed. In the meantime stop typing!!

Jackie, first I forgot to mention how talented and tough you must be to install a mailbox on granite, remind me never to mess with you. Second, ewww again with Brady bringing in live mouse, it would give me heart failure. Your story with George reminds me when we had our other two sheepdogs I wanted one of them to be an agility dog to be able to take into nursing homes. Buster did great, the wheelchairs didn't scare him, the dropping of trays didn't bother him, all was going great until we were just about to leave the ring and he decided to pee on the floor by the exit. FAIL!!!! Never had accidents at home but evidently he didn't want to be an agility dog. lol The Mount Edgecombe picture is beyond words, absolutely beautiful. The Sloggi bra looks like the Coobie Bra, do they come with removable pads? I always forget to take the pads out when washing so they come out but at least they get clean.

Enjoy your Monday!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    OK, since typing starts the numbing, I'll just read posts for a few days, and comment once in awhile! Always with you, though! weight starting to go down slightly! May help.
    <3 Buzz

.........................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen...........................
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Second time i've done it - lost my post. Got into a hurry as we are going out for supper.

Buzz - if you have an iPad you can use the microphone button to convert your speech to text. You'll get some funny results but it works.

Sandy- root canal went fine. I have an appointment on Monday to get the permanent crown on. Hopefully they'll be no snags as we leave the next day for Nova Scotia for a month.

Ed says it's time to go so I guess I better run.

Cheers

Jeri
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hi there sneakers. Well things are sort of crazy sound ere, again We did get Jerry to the Doctor for some test waiting of a doctor appointment now..He will not hear of us moving in with Alice.. She is on her way out ere now./ missed you all.
    Marie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) The parents won their volleyball game so I go back tomorrow. Today I am definitely going to the pool since I have a free day. Bryanna will be joining me with her 8 year old sister. I am going to make chicken wings on my grill, one of my favorites.

Marie, how wonderful to see you post. I am sorry about all that is going on with Jerry and wish he would reconsider about moving in with Alice. We miss you so much but always know how much we love you. <3

Jeri, the crown should be easy, you will be ready to enjoy your trip. Have fun and stay safe!

Buzz, we know you check in everyday so just rest that hand until you are out of pain.

Looks like all are busy this morning, have a great day!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    JERI, thank you for the iPad information. I'll try to figure it out as so far, I haven't been too successful using my iPad! This will e incentive if I can get to this site
    Hey MARIE, what's been happening with you and Jerry? We miss you, too, li'l Sis! Of course I understand Jerry, like most men, resists change, but you would both be better of f with help nearby. If he doesn't want to "burden" Alice (She probably doesn't see you as a burden!), perhaps she can help you look into various other available options, since I have read about shared homes with several other people, different types of retirement villages or communities,---almost anything where you can just press a button and help is there! Perhaps AARP has available articles online about these new living arrangements. I know we all wish you the best, and someone may have much better suggestions, but here really are a number of alternatives, so hang in there, dear one!
    My day started with the usual leg pumping, except the TV gave me only a dark blue screen. I called Comcast and the mechanical voice wanted to reset my modem. I kept yelling "agent" into the phone, and actually got transferred to a nice fellow who suggested I try changing the channel and I did and it worked! Next I got a call from Humana to tell me my BP medication wasn't available for a few months, and I got connected to a pharmacist and from him to an internet expert to find out why I couldn't log into Humana Pharmacy (he couldn't fix it either!) so I learned a new way to log in, and here I am, unexpectedly saying Good Morning, I'm hungry, this was a crazy way to start my day.I'll make another attempt to follow JERI's suggestion, but first, BREAKFAST!!!
    <3 Buzz

.........................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen...........................
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hi there. well Alice and I talk it over about Jerry. They are going to get the 2 rooms ready for us If we moved in.And It will be so much easier on all of us.And then tell Jerry that is is our new home. home
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Late evening already and I wonder where the day went. Of course thinking about it I know that after a funny walk across the moors picking our way through long grass, boggy ground, dips and hills in an effort to avoid sheep that Scruff might chase only to have George run after a few with apparent bemusement about what he was doing it for then an afternoon of gardening between rain showers, that's where my day went. Oh yes, and continuing to check the cat trap that my neighbours' cat got herself into yesterday, probably because I was late feeding her while her owners are away on a canal boat holiday! It's all go!!

Marie ~ We've certainly all missed you too and of course hope you can find a solution to how best you might get the help and support you need for Jerry and yourself. Keep us updated if you can because we all care about you so much.

Anne ~ Triumph undies aren't something I remembered so it's interesting if they've been going some time. The Sloggi brand name is sewn into their bras on a silk label so I'm not sure they would be called anything different if sold in Canada..... you'll just have to start your own little business going. When Canadian friends visited me about 12 years ago they went home thinking they might start a business selling screen doors and windows to the UK because they couldn't believe we didn't mind the occasional bug flying into the house! Of course now that sort of thing is readily available so perhaps they should have followed up the idea.

Sandy ~ A pound is worth about $1.30 so I'd say a £20 bra would cost you approximately $26 although it is late and my tired brain might have that completely wrong! As for padded bras, I don't tend to look for them as although not particularly endowed I don't feel the need to boost that area!! Drilling into my granite walls didn't so much need brute force as a maths test because I made holes in the render between the lumps of rock where I could, then had to line up holes on a wood base before screwing on the mailbox so just fiddley! If you lived with Brady you would soon have to get used to a constant supply of mice, dead or alive, and nothing I say or do seems to put him off bringing them into my cottage!

Buzz ~ Not the best start to your day although as ever you amaze me with your IT dexterity.

Lin ~ I'm sorry to read your friend's health has deteriorated but you will hopefully have better news after your visit to the hospital.

My back is aching just a little after several hours of gardening so having taken a couple of painkillers I'm going to settle myself into my comfy sofa for an hour and catch up on a recorded new BBC drama.

Jackie
  • jacean2017
    edited August 2017
    Options
    JACKIE, I'm doing the same, relaxing on the sofa after cutting back a bush and then cutting the back lawn. The front which doesn't grow so fast must wait until tomorrow. There's no humidity today but it is hot. I'm watching TV as well. It's a new subscribe channel but they are showing a 2 week free preview. I won't be ordering it! It's all to do with the catching of murderers and I'm learning that although few women actually kill they are very good at persuading men to do the dirty deed for them! Not my cup of tea, but you might say curiosity killed the cat! Talking of cats, my Tabitha was catching various critters right into old age. Only another 14 - 18 years to go!! I'd make a rotten sales lady so won't be selling bras any time soon. I'd be giving them away! My mom finally threw hers away in her late 80s. I can't see me doing that either!

It was good to hear from you MARIE. Getting two rooms in Alice's home will give you and Jerry some privacy. Shall you tell him you are both going to Alice's for a little break, but the break will actually last a long time and he will get used to the idea? Make sure he has little jobs to do to keep him feeling useful.

Well I think I'll take the Bean for an after supper trot.
    Anne.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hello All,

So nice to hear from you Marie. Getting two rooms ready at Alice`s is a good start. Good luck.

I just cut Ed's hair, it is something I hate todo but he hates asking Melanie and for the small amount he has he hates going to a barber. Hahaha. This one ended up a little shorter than he wanted. Oops. It's not a complete disaster but could be better. Maybe he'll get someone else next time.

Buzz good luck with your iPad. I use Siri in my iPad and iPhone for lots of things. Opening apps, calling people etc. works great once you get used to it.

My timer is going. Time to make supper.

Cheers

Jeri

• linder4866
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Good evening, ready to go upstairs for the evening.

Marie, having several rooms at Alice's house sounds like an excellent alternative. Thank you for letting us know. Hugs.

Jeri, a short haircut is okay in the summer. :) And your pice is right. Best wishes to you. Putting on a crown usually goes well, at least with my many crowns, that has always been the easiest part. And then a month in Nova Scotia. Wow!! You hardly stay still these days.

Sandy, you are also pretty much always on the go as well. Congrats to the kids on all the volleyball wins!! I hope your day at the pool was pleasant.

Buzz, I hope you can figure out ways to use the voice controls. I do that with text messages sometimes but my gosh, it is often very different than my intent. But the keyboard is always typing something I did not intend either. Autocorrect, bah.

Jackie, that cat trap is quite a chore for you. Just about anything but that feral cat seems to be interested in it. Just typical isn't it. Gardening between the showers is a necessity some days. Now that hasn't been needed in this area for quite a while.

Anne, you are doing so much yard work now. Did you fire the guy who was doing the mowing? Your ankle must have healed up quite well. Are you making dear Jilly help pull weeds and trim brush? She is fierce.

Well, lots of card making and laundry and misc. chores this morning, coloring in the afternoon and catching up with email etc. this evening.

My friend is not allowed visitors. Still not doing well.

Well, Tai Chi/Qigong in the morning, coloring for a little while at a different library, an agriculture-related webinar all on the agenda for tomorrow.

Hugs dear Sneakers.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Good morning. We caught a feral cat overnight but not the one we wanted! Ginger boy was wandering in my garden earlier but didn't make it to the trap maybe because the other pretty but pretty wild cat had been enticed by the tuna. When it spat and growled at me I could see it is quite anaemic so needs help of some sort, hopefully not put to sleep. Am now trying to contact the animal shelter to see if they can take him/her before I drive to Plymouth..... of course it would happen while my neighbours are afloat on the Thames river!!

Back later.
    Jackie
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Oh dear JACKIE. It sounds as if the feral cat has had a litter of kittens! I hope not!
    Anne
  • linder4866
    Options
    Darn, the wrong cat in the trap and just when you are busy. I hope it worked out.

Lin
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Well. I got the front lawn cut, put the mower away, and then brought Jilly out while I cleared the sidewalk mess by having her on a long leash and tied to the old apple tree and also to be out with me at the same time. I went to fetch broom and bucket from the garage and in the walk back up the long drive I realized a chap in a white car had pulled up in a direct line with Jill, was looking at her and was on his phone. Did he think she was an abandoned dog, had someone complained when she yaps, an illegal dog? whatever, when he saw me rushing up the driveway he got off the phone and drove off.

Ever since the chihuahua got stolen here after being tied up outside the Tim Hortons whilst the owner went inside for a coffee, and another chihuahua got stolen from its owners yard Mike is quite paranoid about small dogs being dog napped. He could have a point and I guess we don't have to just worry about Hawks! I have strict instructions never to leave her alone even for a second. It doesn't help of course that she's unusual in looks and most folk ask what breed she is.

So that bit of excitement over I guess we will settle down for the more mundane tasks. Darren is back after being at his mother's lakeside cottage. He had a few cheeky comments about me mowing before 9 o'clock and next doors Harry said he didn't give a toss as he was off to work and wasn't sleeping in anyway as he does come Saturday. Mmmm. Could the guy in the car have been checking up after complaints about old ladies cutting grass at 8:30?

I think we should worry more about Kim Jong-un and Mr. Trump at the moment!

Anne
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) Meeting my brother and my niece for lunch as yesterday was my brother's 84 birthday. My niece couldn't go yesterday and she is his driver. I also invited my ex husband to meet us there, I think my brother will be surprised. No, I am not getting back with my ex, we just happened to remain friends all these years. Tonight I baby sit.

Anne, I wonder if the car that stopped thought someone had tied up a pup to abandon him. He might have been a pet lover who was concerned. I try to look for the good in people and hope he wasn't a dog napper. As far as cutting grass at 8:30 in the morning, I wouldn't like it either. lol Some of us are not early risers! :(

Jackie, sorry you got the wrong cat but if he is sick then maybe that is a good thing. You wouldn't want him infecting the other cats. Sorry about the drive and hope the shelter can take him/her.

Lin, I am sorry about your friend but I am glad you got to sing to her, it probably made her very happy. Busy day for you as well, enjoy the fun things.

Jeri, on her way to Nova Scotia, enjoy your vacation!! Ed's short haircut will be great for a month long vacation, no haircut will be needed. lol

Patsy, hope all is well!

Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• pinkperil
    Options
    I'm back from Plymouth having dropped off the cat that the shelter staff think is more stray than feral as it wasn't too unfriendly with them although they didn't get close enough to check its gender..... lost or dumped just like Brady no doubt. They managed to pick off a tic which means it will also be covered in fleas so perhaps that's the reason for its anaemia but a vet will check it over tomorrow and I'll phone at the weekend to see what happens. They were thinking of a name so I said I refer to it as Patches because of its grey and white patched coat so that's who it will be from now on! On the way home I stopped off at a friend's house for a cup of tea and two bin liners full of shredded paper for the hen house so that's another day almost gone. At least the sun is shining even if we have a cool northerly wind which will dry my lawns enough to follow Anne's example and cut the grass tomorrow.... not at 8.30am although one neighbour has been known to use a petrol strimmer at 7.30!!

I'd be highly suspicious of anyone sitting in a car on a phone watching my dog especially if he drove off when I appeared so do keep an extra eye on Jilly Anne

Sandy ~ You're a much nicer person than me LOL..... I don't trust anyone anymore because society has changed so much in the past few years with everyone out for themselves!

Never mind those men with their phallic symbols Anne shouting mine's bigger than yours. Of course they are both mad but hopefully have enough sane people around them to stop things escalating further.

Time to feed the hens their corn for afternoon snack.
    Jackie