Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hello sunshine! I did my exercises outside on the deck. Why haven't I thought of doing that before? I loved the fresh air as I did my routine. Katie sat under the deck table and tried to catch my foot as I did my exercises. Yet another challenge. Can I avoid her as I do lunges etc. she also loves to try to catch my hand as I lift weights! That of course has to STOP! I hate going to the doctor, but I hate pain worse.

I am working hard to get this sciatica under control. Doctor said to think 30 days of daily exercise to strengthen the muscles, then almost daily to keep them healthy and strong. Good grief, it is a full time job to stay upright at our age.

I have been reading loads of stuff from our senators and congressmen. I don't ever remember the amount of information coming from them in the past. I haven't read anything of an entertainment nature in months. Fall always brings out new books and movies. I confess to having piles of books that I love and reread when the mood strikes. I have disorderly book cases in almost every room in the house. There is always a shifting and shuffling effort going on.

Must run and do the laundry rotation thing, then I might get into the dungeon for a bit. Tonight I will fix a chicken salad for dinner. Fresh peaches for dessert. I have started a few drawings in the middle of the night on the new painting series. "WildWater" all the hurricane talk has captured my brain. I am slowly getting back to my creative projects.
    Patsy

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,178 Member
    Options
    Good evening, nothing too interesting here. Mostly the usual activities. One interesting note given all the talk about pets and animals. I was parking my car this morning as I was going to Tai Chi and I was backing into a place so I could head out rather than back out later. As I came close to another lady's car I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I stopped and stared. I saw ears!!!! So I parked my car and walked sort of close to the SUV. Yep, a German Shepherd was in the back seat. That dog was going to have to stay in that car alone more than two hours! I said to Mary--I did not know you had a dog. She said she just likes to take the dog everywhere she goes. Well, that was a surprise. I had no idea. I was uncomfortable with it but she was parked in the shade and the side window was down halfway. I am a worrywart. I could never have done that unless I was only staying a few minutes or a bit longer, I would need to check on the dog. Argh.

Mae, I live in tornado country and people who have mobile homes in a park, usually have more tornado proof community centers or shelters rather than staying in their home when there is a storm. I know this is a difficult decision and I don't mean to make it worse but safety is something to consider. We have manufactured housing here that is brought in in basically two pieces and then installed/constructed usually on a poured concrete basement or slab. Those are very nice.

Jackie, all best wishes to you as you go back for your follow up visit. Oh my gosh, trying to do everything you are to do to keep going certainly can take a long time. Yoga is not quick! That was something our little group of ladies at the library discusses from time to time. I fall short of that daily. I have exercises and stretches for my shoulders and even though I know I have to do these things, I don't.

Anne, thanks for keeping us up to date on the storms. I read about the storm you mentioned to Jackie and I see it has moved on. Storms seem to be popping up everywhere. Clean up and rebuilding will take a massive effort. Praying for no additional storms.

Patsy, good for you exercising on the deck. Great idea. It was so hot here today you might have melted if you were outside. Best wishes in getting back to work. It sounds like you have some great ideas.

Marie, yippee! I am glad you are getting a new computer. I hope you will be able to post with us more often.

I hope Sandy is having a wonderful time.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Just a short hello to say I am fine but all my tech stuff is in a blue funk since early yesterday! Phone rings, I answer, I hear hello? Hello? and I'm screaming hi, I'm here! But it is not working both ways!. Tonight, most of my internet cannot be found, so I'm not sure you'll even see this, but I'm trying. I'm sure you have posts, but I can't get them as my server is another site I can't get, even though they want me to pay a bill and get information regarding when my service will be restored,...on their website! Huh? Frustrating, but no one was hurt here!though some apartments are getting leaks. Might as well sign off since I can't tell if I'm on!
    <3 Buzz
    ....................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen..............................
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Problems with connecting to MFP. I wonder if somehow anyone other than Sandy knows how to inform MFP that I check in daily but somehow am not recognized? My internet keeps going in and out due to hurricane-related problems with Comcast. I manage to at least log on sometime through each day when it is working! Then it blacks out. So far, I am doing fine, but it's a bit frustrating not knowing what's going on!
    <3 Buzz

....................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen..............................
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Buzz: I am a total zero when it comes to fixing anything computer related but I do know there is a "contact us" spot that I will let them know you are having difficulty. Maybe they can help you. We have friends that say that the fiber optic loop was compromised during the storm.

We are having lovely fall weather. My sciatica and arthritis is making sure I don't get bored. John says it is important to have a challenge in life. Hummmmm. Anyway, I am heading out on the deck to do my exercise routine.

Did anyone watch the big storm benefit? What an amazing effort! Now the important part is to make sure the money raised really goes to those who need it. There is a new Ken Burns documentary called The American Storyteller. It sounds great. But then a Ken Burns documentary is always a sure bet.

Our vet is having a photo contest and producing a calendar for his patients. Is there anyone who doesn't feel their doggies aren't the most beautiful, the smartest, most affectionate, the absolutely most adorable? I told him..."Get real, man! You are in dangerous territory if you start pitting one 4-legged super star over another." I know this effort sounds like it would be fun for the dog owners, but you all know I am a bleeding-heart liberal. I did go to a sheepdog herding competitions and let me tell you that was indescribably astounding. Those sheepdogs were operating on a level that could only be called supernatural. They read their human's mind and often made independent decisions to get the job done.

I need to quit stalling and get my exercises done!
    Patsy

• delraybuzz
    Options
    I am trying again to post for the 2nd time. Don't know where 1st one went, earlier today!
    <3 Buzz
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good evening

Buzz, I am sorry you are having troubles with your Internet connection. Things are probably not stable right now in the aftermath of the storm. Hopefully things will straighten up in the next week or so. So many crews are working to just get the power on for so many people in your state. Just keep taking care of yourself my friend.

I am looking forward to everything that will be packed in the next few days. I hope it is enjoyable. There is not WiFi available so I won't be around much but then I have not many interesting bits to write about.

Patsy, I did not see the big storm benefit show as I was not home. Getting help to the people who need it is always a concern. I sincerely hope it does.

Well, time to get the mail. Nope, I haven't been out to look. I never did see the mailman this afternoon.

Hugs.

Lin
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Wow! Everyone is busy today. Sneakers are silent. I need to do a few unexciting errands then home for Thai take out. Katie always gets the Chinese fortune cookie they hand out. Funny that the Thai place hands out Chinese cookies. No connection at all, really. I guess they are neighbors.

Hope everyone is well and happy. The weekend is going to be busy here on the coast. Portland weekenders head here, traffic will be a nightmare. We have a roundabout that can be life-threatening with a lot of traffic. It was poorly designed.

I was exercising on the deck and the sun got so hot, it drove me inside. I must finish my routine inside.
    I think I might check out Home Depot for a new house plant. My jade tree needs a new pot and maybe I can find a new aloe plant. As I said...unexciting errands and unnecessary shopping.
    Happy weekend, everyone.
    Patsy
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello Sneakers, home from a day of paper crafting. Very few people attended this time so there was a lot of space! Love it. Nice to spread things out. At home I have just a bit of space. When I got home I had a little package in the mail. It was in a bubble envelope but someone had slit it open and all the merchandise was gone, all I received was the envelope. I have contacted the vendor and we'll see what can be done. Now the USPS had to notice the darn thing was empty. Good grief.

Time to get reorganized for a long day tomorrow. More paper crafting and a wedding.

Will not be around much once again but then most of the Sneakers seem to be missing.

Hi Patsy, unnecessary shopping. That is something I do too often. A new plant sounds like a good idea though. Every once in a while I will add to my tiny collection of houseplants, they make me happy and they are good for the air!

Time to zip along again.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    How awful I must have complaining about my internet and phone problems. I really feel quite grateful that those were my greatest annoyances when so many people lost everything including their homes and health! I won't even talk about lives, as happened just south of us in the next county with 8 seniors in a nursing home! well, Comcast has returned service this afternoon, and things are beginning to return to normal, what ever that means lol! I' m happy PATSY and LIN are here and I always enjoy their comments, and they are never dull!
    I must get to bed
    <3<3<3 Buzz
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Good morning Sneakers! A very quiet day for us gals yesterday. Sandy away with her friends, Jackie probably dealing with workmen and me coping with our little heatwave which is drifting over from Lins area. Whatever Lin gets I have advance warning! So glad Mark was tardy about removing the A/C! The tube lighting in the kitchen is on the blink now! Never a dull, excuse the pun, moment!!

I had Michael over yesterday. He had to wear a suit to work for a business meeting on Thursday, and he has lost so much weight deliberately over the summer that he either needs to buy new suits or go to my friendly tailoress who shortened my trench coat. Talk about baggy drawers! Not quite so noticeable with his lightweight casual pants. He suddenly got health conscious, my youngest Mark already is, and he's joined us in our mainly organic and vegan leaning diet. He's not letting on but I suspect he got a nudge from his doctor during an annual check up. Whatever, he looks super and more like the slim Michael of his earlier days on maneuvers or whatever crawling through mud with a backpack is called.

So no post from me yesterday sweltering amongst the slowly browning foliage. Even outdoorsy Jill was happy inside and she's an outdoors type of dog.

So not much in the way of interest from yours truly I'm afraid! I watched a documentary on fake diplomas originating in Pakistan. So far 800 people have been discovered here practising with them. Lawyers, doctors, you name it. Anything that needs a college degree. No wonder I keep away from doctors after my disastrous results from an Arabic doctors pill prescription! Who knows!

Well I had better stop these musings and move myself.
    Happy Saturday. Anne.
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Hello! Sunny day but not too warm. I am set to do my exercise routine on the deck again. It almost makes it it a very pleasant experience. There are two exercises where I am to kick backwards while hanging onto the deck table. Katie chases my foot and tries to catch it as I kick. Drives me crazy! She loves to participate in everything

Got a call from the school about setting up a story time again with the kindergarten. I do love doing that but I have felt so creaky and, let's be plain, I have considerable pain. I made a sort of costume/puppet that reads the stories. My name is Auntie Goose. The kids love it. I painted a few rock people to drop around the trees growing in the Home Depot parking lot. As I got back into the car, I heard a woman spot one and she was so excited as picked it up. I sat in the car and just giggled.

My dear friend from Alaska has a granddaughter (2 1/2 years old). Her mom used to be a very good doll maker. I bought several of them back in the day. Sadly My friends mom passed away some years ago. I packaged up one of the dolls with a lot of the doll clothes I had purchased at the same time and sent them to her for her grand daughter. I got a heartwarming call from my friend. It was one of those famous peak moments. Lots of memories and teary conversation.

Remembering tea parties with my own daughter years ago and hunting for rocks that will turn into Little Rock people.
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    A busy couple of days for me and earlier tonight when I planned to read everyone's posts and comment I instead fell asleep watching a weird movie on tv. Have just woken up to brush my teeth and go to bed!!
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good evening

Home again!

Jackie, I hope you are getting a good night's sleep. When I have to get up to brush my teeth and wash up, I usually cannot get back to sleep for quite a while! I hope that did not happen to you. See you soon. <3

Patsy, how wonderful that you were able to experience the delight of someone as they found one of your treasures. Let me know if you someone bring any of your painted rocks to my state to hide!! I would be very pleased to find one. Hey Katie, let mom do her exercises!!! :)

Anne, some areas of the state have cooled down so perhaps there will be a moderation in your weather as well. Glad to hear Michael is getting healthier! Good for him!!! Excellent. And what a frightening documentary. Just what we need. Fake medical profesionals. How are we to sort everything out these days?

Nice few hours of paper crafting this morning, followed by a very nice wedding/vow renewal ceremony at our church. A lot of their family showed up and that pleased them. Big reception afterwards with great pictures of them through each decade starting in the 50's. Very very happy they were able to do this. He has severe heart problems and everyone was so afraid he would not be well enough today--but he was.

Big block party going on outside. I am not feeling a bit sociable so I am staying inside. They have barricades and cones set up in the street so I could barely squeak through to get my vehicle up my driveway and into the garage. They have loads of firewood this year and have out a fire pit in the front yard. Looks like a party that will go on and on.

Well, church tomorrow and the Art Center.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Good evening everyone. Nice to see ANNE and JACKIE back today and to read that I'm not the only one falling asleep at my tasks! Last night, well actually this morning, I finally got to bed around 4:45 A.M! I'd fallen asleep at my computer, for a change! Wakened at 9:15, so I guess I was functioning peculiarly today! I missed a program on The Dead Sea Scrolls, but I doubt our busses have gone anywhere, yet! ........
    My eyelids will close down in about 5 minutes, so I'll say goodnight and Happy weekend!
    <3 Buzz
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Slow morning for me. We went to A&W for breakfast, and as per usual, I took a cut up apple and had that. Trying very hard to lose the small amount of weight I put on in Nova Scotia. Darn it goes in easy and is slow to leave for sure.

Ed and I were over to Melanie's and babysat on Friday. Initially 3 hours of us and the 1 year old Maggie and the 4 year old Sarah. So cute. Maggie just goes and goes, you have to follow her all the time but the best thing is that she is so cuddly. Oh how I love it.

Then the older kids came home from school with their dad. Ed picked up pizza and then Sean, our s-i-l, drove 14 yr old Zack to camp. That left us and the 6 kids. We watched a movie with them and had so much fun. Oh I love my grandkids.

Yesterday we were able to go over and have supper with Melissa and Jack and their 2 boys. Ironically that was noisier because 5 year old Joshua is always goofing around. LOL. Melissa made yummy tacos

Slower day today. Trying to get caught up at home. I think we'll go to a movie this afternoon.

PAtsy - doing your exercises on the deck sounds good. I'm back at my walking. Striving for my 10,000 steps. Reading to kindergartens must be lots of fun.

Lin - sounds like quite the party. I have days when I don't want to socialize too. Stay in and enjoy.

Jackie - I fall asleep watching tv all the time. LOL

BUzz - glad everything worked out so well for you.

Got to run. Cheers

Jeri
  • linder4866
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Good evening, after church I did sit through the lecture: American Gothic and Other Fables. Perhaps not what I had in mind but it was quite interesting. Also finished reading "The Cafe by the Sea" which was interesting as well.

We had rain overnight and the temperature dropped significantly. I needed a heavier sweatshirt today. More rain is forecast overnight and tomorrow.

I will finish the evening by doing nothing productive. Tomorrow I will face the laundry, the bills, the few groceries I need to pick up, getting gas for the car and crushing and toting cardboard as the recycling will be picked up Tuesday morning.

Time to scoot along!!

Jeri, lots of babysitting already and you've hardly been home any time at all! :)

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Hi, things seem almost back to normal. Reading Sunday paper, I saw there was lots of damage all around our place, and power was out, trees knocked over even across the street, so we were ever so lucky here! Almost afraid to take all the batteries out of lantern, fans, radios etcetera, since looks like hurricane Marie is possibly headed our way! well, it has been 12 years since Wilma and Irma was the first almost direct hit in a long time! Enjoyed a delightful movie in our auditorium this afternoon named Paris Can Wait. Tonight's is a war movie I can live without, so I plan on getting to bed early! So tired all the time!
    <3 Buzz

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    It's that time of year for me where I do my best to clear all garden and indoor larger tasks before the seasons change but the weather is certainly against outdoor activities at the moment. Yesterday was fine and I cleaned out the hen house and moved the last super of honey over a clearing board that allows bees down into the hive but not back up and am hoping they've moved out by Wednesday before more rain arrives then I can begin to feed them their Winter supplies. Dear little Squeak passed away some time between Friday night and Saturday morning but I wasn't too surprised as she had been tottering a bit on a her feet and whenever I picked her up her loss of weight was obvious. As my neighbours said, it's the end of an era as she gave us so many funny stories as well as her amazing recovery from that stroke. On Saturday my friend and I went to a travel agency to book next year's Norwegian Fjord cruise and we're already getting excited planning shopping trips for clothes and researching the best way to travel to Liverpool, our departure port. Mid October we are heading for London again, this time for a theatre visit and posh hotel and in December we'll be going to Bath, a beautiful city, for a Christmas shopping day and probably stay at a B&B.

Buzz ~ Yes you certainly were very lucky when we see what was going on around you, especially the tragedy at the care home not far from you. I do hope your family and friends have now all managed to speak to you and know you are safe.

Jeri ~ Back to the old routine you love surrounded by your grandchildren! I'm sure you will soon manage to lose that extra weight you gained while away and wouldn't worry as we all have to enjoy these pleasures occasionally!!

Lin ~ Gothic America has never crossed my mind to exist so I'm sure the lecture must have been interesting in its own way.

Anne ~ Well done Michael eh! Sometimes it does take a wake up call to motivate us but whatever it was sounds like he'd done extremely well.

This morning's walk was wonderful under clear skies and just the coolest of breezes without being cold but black clouds are rolling my way so I'd better get on with my garden tasks. Someone outside is bothering George because he's constantly grumbling..... going to go out the back of my property and glare!!!

Jackie
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Oh JACKIE, so sad that brave little Squeak passed away! I was about to ask you how she was doing funnily enough. Wow, you've got some super trips planned! Green with envy, positively bright green with envy.

Well, whilst son Michael is wandering around with baggy pants, MINE are positively bursting at the seams! So unfair, I swear nothing remotely decadent has passed these lips and yet I've gained 2lbs.

The only big news for me is I have a chap coming on Thursday to measure and quote prices for a new furnace. If you remember the present one broke down one very cold January day and I spent the night at Marks and Mary Jos in MJs ornate Spanish style bed peering nervously over the sheets because MJs dad had died in it. The bedding was completely new but you never know, and Anne the great disbeliever in ghosts and old Portuguese gentlemen wandering the halls at night had me shivering in my timbers. It was so expensive for a big repair job that a new furnace makes sense.

The highlight of Sunday. Mark crawled up a ladder and replaced my kitchen fluorescent light tube, and Jilly got a new stuffed squirrel having destroyed her previous one.

So I am not going to write a book about my life! Can you imagine it! "The exciting life of an octogenarian". Reviews:- Great for those having difficulty reading because it's only 2 pages long, lol,

Well time to plod downstairs and check the washing machine,
    Bye, Anne.