Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,185 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hello Sneakers. Got the haircut, stopped by the post office and spent the rest of the morning hanging out with friends at the library. Some of us are working on an intricate and difficult jigsaw puzzle of birds and fauna. It was so hot this afternoon that I decided I did not want to go out again so I cancelled going to the presentation on the topic of coffee. It would have been interesting though I am sure.

I am meeting a friend tomorrow and we are going to wander through the exhibits at the Art Center. They will be changing several of them soon so great timing for her day off. I will enjoy anything and everything we see and any chatting we might fit in.

Patsy, I unfortunately am not an expert on yoga mats. I don't do much yoga and I just purchased my mat from a local sports equipment store. Jackie, could you offer some insights?

Sandy, a busy day. It will take a while to catch up on things after your working vacation.

Anne, it is always difficult to decide when to go for a haircut. My haircuts are getting shorter and shorter and he is cutting out around my ears. I feel like I don't really have hair when I leave but today, given the hot weather, I was okay with that.

Jackie, ouch, boot stuck on your foot!! Horrendous but maybe thinner socks will help next time. There are many times I get myself in a spot and think what can I do now since no one is going to come to save me. And really, the defrosted brunch wasn't good enough for George? I have been wondering what could have been so objectionable. Dogs aren't too discriminating when out and about. Haaaa

Well, off I go. I need to read some more of the upcoming book club selection. Slow going. I do not like this book. "The Last Days of Night" by Graham Moore. Maybe it will grow on me.

Hugs.

Lin

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Must get to bed and make up sleep, but after dinner, I came up to watch part 4 of Ken Burns' Vietnam on Public Television. The blood still rushes as I watch confirmation of feelings so long ago! I was amazed to see original films of John McCain as he was rescued and taken prisoner by the Vietcong!!! What a handsome young man in such anguishing circumstances!
    He spent the next 4 or 5 years as a prisoner of war, still suffering from the effects of the torture he chose over early release! It's an excellent presentation of what that war was really like!
    I made a mistake (or Google made it!) when I gave the New Year. It should have been 5778! I would love to learn 5778 years from exactly what? Some tell me it is from when Abraham was told to sacrifice his son. I have been to The Dome of the Rock, which supposedly commemorates that spot at which the sacrifice was to have been made. It is a magnificent memorial with much gold decoration and is now a major Arab revered site. Remember, it is not a Muslim site, since that religion did not appear until after the 7th century. Thoroughly confusing, isn't it? I loved being in Jerusalem and walking through so many of the areas we read about in the Old and New Testaments! Surrounded by history, to say the least!
    Robert Frost was a favorite of mine, too, and my Dad used to recite Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening often, and was certain he knew the exact spot referred to in the poem!
    Dinner last night was delicious and included the traditional chicken soup with matzo balls, which I cannot resist if they are tender soft dumplings. Everything was just lovely. Thank you for the greetings!
    Midnight,...Goodnight , dear friends!
    <3 Buzz

.............................always believe something wonderful is about to happen!...................
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Afternoon here already but I have had a constructive time since walking George across the moors where the wind was howling! It's a lot calmer at home so when we finished our stroll I went straight to the allotment to pick the last of our runner beans, turned the pumpkins over to allow them to dry out where they'd been sitting on the ground and made a note of all the weeds that need pulling! As soon as we got home I put my bee suit on and checked to see if the last super full of honey was clear of bees which it was so lit the smoker, removed it so no I can begin to feed them their winter stores. They were sos quiet and well behaved that old vicious queen has certainly gone!!

Anne ~ I could wait forever for a young man prepared to pull my boots off and put up with George so instead I'm going to purchase a boot jack then hope I don't fall over as I cross legs to weigh it down with the other foot! I did try hooking the back of the boot on the step but the style of them doesn't give anywhere to hook on plus my instep is so high II struggle at the best of times to slip my feet in and out of boots.
    m7jgabrs5hmp.jpg

My hair is shorter than usual but I don't mind because being so thick it falls into some sort of style and is easy to manage.

Sandy ~ So good to read that you enjoyed your time away and it does sound like you had fun!

Patsy ~ Thanks for pointing me towards the poem so I could look it up and read it again after so many years. It is wonderful isn't it and I feel I could be standing next to the writer taking the scene in, probably why a snippet had stayed in my mind. The yoga mat I use is not an expensive one and because you probably won't be lying on one for a long, long time I wouldn't worry about getting too thick a roll. It's more the width with me because when we turn from back to stomach mid class I find I'm rolling on the floor of the mat as do many other students! I'm advised if we are on our knees at any time to fold some of the mat to double the thickness. Here's the one I purchased which I'm sure you could find in your neck of the woods!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0085PUHF0/ref=psdc_671759011_t3_B00VPMSB80

Lin My philosophy over the years living on my own is no other bugger is going to do it so do it yourself but yes, there are times when I really could do with an extra pair of hands although it's amazing how inventive I can be when needs must! Enjoy the art exhibition today and all that chatting!

Buzz ~ Happy New Year however many there are! Certainly the Vietnam war was a heartbreaking time for your country that proved nothing in the end and now it's a place everyone wants to visit for an exotic holiday it's obvious what beautiful people the majority are which makes it even more sad. I've been reading about Emily Hobhouse who was born just a couple of miles from here and as a humanitarian became a welfare campaigner in South Africa when she visited and saw the appalling conditions in British concentration camps during the Boer war where thousands of women and children died. Her work has been generally ignored by the establishment but now her small village is going to raise a memorial plaque over 100 years on and I will certainly donate to that cause.

Past my lunchtime so I must think of something appealing to eat which will include an apple picked from a tree in my garden an hour ago! What news of your apples this year Anne?

Jackie
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Bad news JACKIE, the tree in the back is definitely dying and Mark will probably chop it down next spring. There are a few apples but very wormy and shrivelled, I think the poor thing overdid itself two years ago. The one at the front is much better and I have eaten a few along with Darren and his girls, but again wormy. Not a good year at all unlike everything else! We are still in the heatwave with temperatures in their thirties until Wednesday. Those are good looking boots! Mine do have a ridge for stair hooking!

The furnace salesman came over last evening. He was from Jamaica but immediately recognized my northern accent. I'm doomed to live with this accent until I fall flat on my back! I watched The Ark movie which was disappointing but what intrigued me was that the actors had North English accents. Anyway back to a small new furnace for a small old house. My eyes crossed when I read the quotes on price! $4000 to $5000 Hoarse Squeak! These are discount prices! To add insult to injury my monthly evenly distributed gas bill has increased by $15. I said to Mark maybe I should put my name on the senior discount apartment list. Or maybe become a hermit in the deep and lovely woods! Jill would like that!

Anne
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) Again I have no time as my hairdresser is finally going to do my hair. I need color and a haircut so bad I can't stand it. I will go to her house since she has a new baby. I am sitting for the boys later and can hardly wait to see them.

I will wait until Monday for Pound a Week but I gained on vacation but lost it on my return. I am still at goal weight which makes me happy.

Enjoy your Friday!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Good morning Sandy and all the rest of the Sneakers

Marie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello Sneakers!

Good to see you Marie. <3

Jackie, I love your boots. The color is wonderful. We seem to have lots of greens and/or brown versions here. Stop over and use my bootjack any day. I've had one for decades. I found when living on a farm that was an indispensable item. Really, I <3 the boots!! If I lived in the country, I would search for a pair immediately.

Buzz, it is wonderful that you have access to traditional and delicious foods for the holiday. Excellent. Meanwhile I cannot bear to watch anything about Vietnam at all. I am avoiding it at all costs.

Anne, Jilly would not want to be a hermit. She loves interacting with people too much for that. But then I think you do as well (at least as long as they are not rude!). By the way, does Jilly like to carry around fallen apples? Or maybe there are more interesting things to play with.

The time at the art center with my friend was very enjoyable. We spent some time watching work on a new installation which opens on the evening of the 28th. We each revisited old favorites in the permanent collection, snooped through the gift shop and had a nice talk. Then she was off for activities related to her grandchildren. I picked up oak leaves, sticks and miscellaneous stuff. My fingers are now the fingers of many colors as I had fun inking the leaves and transferring images to paper. Lots of fun! The leaves are a bit worse for the wear. :D

It is so hot today that many schools had early dismissal. That is normally something that might happen in August but not the end of September. Did I mention that I love my air conditioning?

The oldest health food store in the area is having a big birthday party tomorrow and I am planning to attend first thing tomorrow--before it heats up again.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Oh my! After 1 AM! spent the evening talking, separately, to 2 lovely ladies with serious problems, and realize there is little I can do to help change their circumstances other than just listen, or perhaps help by picking up mail or newspapers....makes me feel somewhat helpless!
    Also getting frustrated trying to find a battery for my 12 year old cell phone! So far, no help from my server! And Walmart, where it was originally bought, no longer supports my plan. Trying to research Jitterbug and Credo, but am puzzled by reviews. I guess I'll sleep on it .
    <3 Buzz
    .............................always believe something wonderful is about to happen!...................
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    It's 2pm here and so far I've walked George, spent a couple of hours at the allotment weeding and now, after a light lunch am going to see if I can cut my grass in spite of it being wet from last night's rain. George has gone off with my neighbours to a local beach for the afternoon so I can concentrate on some serious gardening before the next round of rain!

Buzz ~ The next time the battery in my mobile fades I will have to buy a new phone because I can't get a replacement anymore. It's no doubt intentional so we have to keep spending on new equipment! Sometimes being a good listener is enough for people struggling with problems so I'm sure you are helping those ladies even if you feel helpless.

Anne ~ That's sad about your apple tree but I've seen similar incidents where a tree has a final burst of energy before dying so wonder if it's nature doing her best to scatter seeds so young saplings spring up.

Lin ~ You do make me smile with all of your different craft ideas and inking leaves is something I would never have thought of but can imagine you will get some delightful results. I love my boots too and quite look forward to some wet weather so I can wear them. Not until I have a boot jack by my door though!

Marie ~ Hello sweetheart, lovely to see you posting.

Sandy ~ Monday is fine for a weigh in for me as it gives me time to concentrate on behaving myself!

Time to get that grass cut.
    Jackie
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Just waiting for Michael to show. He's got today off instead of Friday. It's already hot at 9:15am and, the same as LIN, we are under an extreme heat warning. Until next Wednesday. I'm glad now for the a/c which I wanted removed two weeks ago when it was freezing and draughty.!
    Jilly's favourite outside game is fetch the apple which fits her small mouth better than some of her balls Lin.
    Well, must away.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good morning , leaving soon as it is already quite warm and it is quite early.

For odd batteries, we have a couple of battery stores. I go to one in particular when I need something or will call them. If they can order what I need, they will do it. I know the retail stores stop supporting phones quite early in as they just concentrate on the newest and most popular items. I have two cell phones, an iPhone and an old non-smart Nokia. I found a new phone just like my old phone for sale at a ridiculously low price. I bought it for the battery. And it fit and is still charging. In today's world, the phone is ancient but keeps putting along. I know it is at least 10 years old.

Buzz, listening is a wonderful gift. You are very kind to offer your time and attention. Hugs.

Jackie, wow, an outing for George at the beach. A play date? Wonderful.

Anne, I too am glad your air conditioner is in place. It is positively beastly mid to late afternoon. I was outdoors a couple of times, I felt as if zip was sizzling. Yipes!

Hugs, running along.

Lin
  • jacean2017
    Options
    I find the hottest time here is around 4:30 until sundown and a bit beyond. The insects are out in force today. BUZZ, I'm so happy for you living where you want to live but I just couldn't take this heat on a daily basis. I guess I will never be a "snowbird". The monarch butterflies are all over the place about to migrate to Mexico. That goes for the wasps as well, but they hibernate. Jill's yapping so I reckon Michael is in the vicinity, yes he is. Bye,
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Finally a day where I don't have to rush, my only plans are to go to Mass then visit Babe and Daisy. It was wonderful seeing the boys and of course Rob and Lisa and Robby melted my heart when I was leaving and he said I want you to come back. I will meet them tomorrow at a great park in my area, then sitting again Tuesday for tennis and Wednesday so Lisa can take her car to mechanic. He might get tired of seeing me. lol

Marie, how wonderful to see you post here. I hope all is going well with you and you are feeling okay. How is Jerry? How is your puppy? Have you moved in with Alice?

Anne, I see you changed your profile picture but I must admit I don't know who that is. We too have been having a heat wave and now that the pool is closed I would prefer a little cooler so I can open the windows. Sorry about your furnace but better to spend the money and keep warm and safe.

Lin, I wish I had your talent for the crafts you do, you so remind me of my daughter. What are your plans for your birthday on Monday?

Jackie, I bet George will love his play date, he loves to jump in water. I too, love your boots but I have no reason to wear them as I hate being in the rain. I prefer Friday for weigh in but since you and Anne seem to like Mondays I am willing to change.

Buzz, if you are not interested in a smart phone then I would suggest the jitterbug or check out AARP because they have cheaper plans. I agree with everyone else sometimes the best thing to do is listen, people just need to vent their feelings. I do this with Babe because I certainly do not have control over anyone or anything.

I got my hair cut and colored and feel so much better. I felt bad that she just gave birth almost 4 weeks ago by C Section but she said she really didn't mind and it gave her a break.
    She loved the blanket I gave her son so it was all good, he is a beautiful baby.

Enjoy your day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Options
    Just got home. Lotsa fun, free stuff and bargains on many things I normally purchase.

Sandy, I think Anne's latest profile pic looks a lot like Pippi Longstockings!

Need to unpack my treasures!!!!

Lin
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Spot on LIN after the earlier comments! Looks better than the real me!
    Anne.
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Stay in girls, pant, pant, puff, puff, its jolly hot outside.
    Love from hotdog Jilly Bean.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Staying in for now!!!!

There was an 80-year old Lincoln in front of the store (celebrating 80 years in business).

Cool car. Sharing a couple of photos. Sorry for glare and extraneous elements. It was BUSY and difficult to duck people. :D

Lin

7nphhmwty48z.jpg
    kgfxwmfm6bmn.jpg
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Great photos Lin! My husband would have loved looking at this restored classic car. For me...a real classic Lincoln would have to include Mathew "alright! Alright! Alright" in a tuxcedo driving a Brand new shiny Lincoln. LOL! Love those car ads on TV.

Katie and I are on the deck this am doing our morning exercises. Those darn wasps are buzzing around. I can't find their nest, John and I will need to walk around looking up near the roof to spot their hive. I really hate them and I always get stung, no matter how careful I try to be. Jackie and Anne...I apologize for being so anti wasp but my fear runs too deep.

Started on my paintings for the show that happens this coming spring. I have notes and sketches for twelve to fourteen paintings. John is used to my crazy mind set when I get on a project. I have been totally focused on this painting series and the little writing project. He says when he talks to me, he has about one tenth of my attention. I have that barely here look. I guess I need to come back to reality, he has been telling me important stuff about our son's birthday. I thought I had that covered but when we order things, one never knows.

Lin: I love that you are so interested in going and attending so many functions. I am sure I would enjoy them as well.

Buzz: there is something about having someone listen and also talking out a problem that somehow makes it bearable. Not sure what that is but it seems universal. Saying the words lets some of the pain go away.

Listened to an amazing program on pbs radio on "the mind of a dog." I was sketching away in my dungeon with the radio on full blast. It was fascinating. I looked up and there was John leaning against the wall listening as well. Also Katie was in her regular spot under the painting table with chew bone, a pair of my socks that she stold and a favorite slobbery tennis ball.
    Life is good, hang on to it.
    Patsy

• delraybuzz
    Options
    Entire post disappeared as some real gibberish took over the space! Weird things keep happening so I'm logging off. Love black elegant old cars! I'll try to post more tomorrow
    <3 Buzz
    ................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen......................
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Another hot day and Lisa wants to meet up at a park near me later this afternoon. The good thing is there is some water toys to play with so maybe the boys will stay cool. I went by Babe after Church to try to set up his computer with a TV screen so he can watch his granddaughter play softball. Teaching someone that knows nothing about computers is almost impossible and he could not figure it out this morning to watch her game. I will continue to try and hopefully he will soon learn.

Patsy, good luck with your paintings and writing projects. So nice of you to share your talents with the world. Life is good especially with a dog!!

Buzz, sorry you lost your post, I hate when that happens. I hope you got some sleep.

Lin, cool old Lincoln, thanks for sharing.

Anne, poor Jilly she looked so hot. When posting a picture use the icon that says attach image which is right next to the align left icon. Click on the arrow next to it and then choose files to find your picture. Clear as mud?

Jackie, enjoying the day????????

Have a good day as I am frustrated that my keyboard and mouse wires are stuck somewhere behind my overly heavy desk and are too short for comfort on my wrists. I can't move my desk alone so will have to wait for Bryanna to come over to help me. Ugg!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time