Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Lin ~ Ah yes, on the Helford river where they still have a pedestrian ferry. A beautiful spot.... I've travelled that way many times!

Anne ~ I imagine that drum, probably made from some sort of leather, will look like a soggy kipper if ever required by Drake again! Going back in time I'd probably end up in a cottage rather like this one sweeping out the straw on the floor where the chickens scratch about and a pig snuffles round the garden so not too many corsets for me!! Never much liked Farage but loved that speech of his. There's a photo out there somewhere of EU members of parliament either snoozing, reading magazines or playing games on their phones during a supposed important debate. I'll see if I can google search it.

High winds screamed through this afternoon but seem to have moved on now. The kettle is on for a cuppa!
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,114 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) I did not go to my meeting today as Bryanna has a problem with her car and asked to borrow mine so she could do her second job of food delivering in the city.
    Dinner last night was wonderful but even better was that my friends children gave me a beautiful Judith Jack silver bracelet for helping their parents and my friends gave me a beautiful Tumi purse. They were both expensive and I really feel bad in accepting them. I in return only gave my friend a $40 gift certificate to her nail salon so color my face red. We usually don't give gifts unless a milestone birthday so it was the thought that counted. I had no idea they were going to give me gifts for helping them and really wish they didn't.

Jackie and Anne, I have no idea what or who you are talking about. lol But let me know if he comes back from the dead.

Lin, your picture is just beautiful, so many beautiful buildings and scenery in England.

Buzz, if you have no data on your phone than Wifi isn't necessary. If you were to use your phone to get online with data than using Wifi saves your data. If you use your camera you can probably upload the pictures to your computer or just save them on the phone.

This day seems to be getting away from me although I am not going anywhere. Feels good to just stay home for a change.

Enjoy your day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I am truly amazed at the diverse little group that we are. Victorians who enjoy computers? Count me in as one of you. I also love computers but my understanding goes only just a bit further than knowing where the on/off button is. Our son just gives up on me and says..."what are you trying to do, Mom? Let me just do it and you watch or do something else!" I still get shocked at the horrors of today's societal issues. They have always been here but it seems worse to me. It really isn't worse, I guess. It seems that way. We may not have corsets, Anne, but we have something even worse. We full body shapers (spanx) that are designed by evil fashion designers. I have struggled into one that was supposed to make me look fit and trim. Getting out of it to use the restroom was a total humiliation. I ended up cutting my way out of it. Seriously!

Katie remains our forever puppy. She is such a wimp, she doesn't like to go out in the rain or at dark to do her business. She chooses to use the pee-pee papers. Removing them doesn't work. She huddles under the eves of the house instead of going out to potty. She is such a rowdy little tom-boy most of the time. As always, these challenges will be met but as yet we are still working on it.

Lovely English country house. I am ready to move right in. Does it have a garage and shop for John? Does it have an art dungeon for me?
    Patsy

• jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Who was Sir Francis Drake! Oh JACKIE where do we start! Well he circumnavigated the world twice in the "Golden Hind" and he claimed California for England. There are places in California named after him. He was born around 1541 and became the scourge of the Spanish treasure ships, thus making Elizabeth 1st a very rich lady. He died in 1596 in Puerto Rico of dysentery. Before that he helped defeat the Spanish fleet when they attempted to attack England. His exploits are legendary and far too many to record here.

Take my drum to England, hang it by the shore,
    Strike it when your powders running low.
    If the Dons (spaniards) sight Devon
    I'll quit the port of heaven,
    And drum them up the channel
    As we drummed them long ago.

Drakes drum by Sir Henry Newbolt.

Several times during history people have reported hearing the drum beating in times of crisis. Now there's a Halloween story for you. Woo woo!
    Anne. Sorry I'm so boring but he's one of my heroes,
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Sir Francis Drake playing bowls and told about the approaching Spanish fleet.
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Painting of the Spanish Armada.
    9eank2go8dak.jpg
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,168 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I saw a story in our local newscast this evening of a waterfall in Yorkshire Dales National Park (did I get that right) running backwards as the winds from the recent storm prevented the water from falling in its natural path. Wow!!
  • linder4866
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Well, busy day. I spent the morning at the library and we are deep in another difficult round puzzle. I stopped at Starbucks for a free reward, made a long stop at Half Price Books and a short stop at a garage sale. Webinar when I got home and I spent the remainder of the afternoon lining up images for more fall and thanksgiving cards. I am going to the library tomorrow evening to make a few Halloween cards. And there you have heard more about my boring life than necessary.

I am trying to outrun the latest bad news I think, I got a text saying my friend who has been struggling all year and had recently received news her cancer was back, has no treatment options and is going into hospice care. She is going to try to stay at home. No visitors. I will continue to send her a card and a note each week.

Wonderful messages today with lots of history lessons! And Sandy, if your friends felt like they wanted to give you those gifts, just accept them and move on. You are a great friend after all.

Patsy, your little darling is a character. She just doesn’t like the evenings outdoors for some reason? I would like to move in the cottage as well IF there is central heating. :D and I agree, Spanx are evil.

Well, I will move along and see what else I can get into this evening. I am eager to try several new-to-me artsy projects but they are things that would be best started at the beginning of the day when I have hours to figure things out. (And clean up of course.)

Best wishes to all. From a lady who would like to go back in time far enough to spend more summer days on the porch with my grandmother snapping green beans. But otherwise is happy for computers, central air conditioning, attached garages and GPS apps. :)

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,114 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Happy Saturday!! :) I caught up on my sleep almost sleeping ten hours!! B) I am sitting for Max later as Robby's school is having a Halloween Trunk Party and he and his parents are going.
    Lisa invited me to a well known pumpkin patch tomorrow but I am planning on going to an Al Anon Convention so I declined. I always feel guilty saying no, but she understands.

Lin, I again, am so sorry for your friend. I guess we should expect to lose some of our friends as we get older but it still is so hard. You seem to have more than your share lately but handle it with grace. Sending a weekly card is just so thoughtful. Interesting about that waterfall, did they show a picture or video?

Anne, thank you for the history lesson, not one of my favorite subjects in school as you can tell. I love to tour old things such as the Greek ruins, castles and mansions, so I think if I see it live and learn the history it is much more interesting than reading about it.

Patsy, Katie seems to be as funny as Daisy. There is something with the OES that keeps them puppies and makes them act in peculiar ways. :D

Jackie, it seems I missed your post yesterday but hope today the winds have died down and you are able to do your chores outside. Lucky you for being able to travel in such a beautiful place.

Buzz, in thinking about your friend and why they can't get their Outlook Email it could be that Windows ten is not compatible with an older version of Outlook. I had the same problem and had to install Outlook 13. Just a thought.

Enjoy your Saturday, we are expecting a beautiful day in the 70's.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Options
    Happy Friday.....just back from Tai Chi and errands. Lots to do before going to make cards this evening.

Enjoying this warm and sunny day.

Lin
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Soggy city here! I was to read at the kindergarten but it is so wet and windy, I asked to delay our story time until next week. Sandy, I am to read Charlie Brown and The Great Pumpkin Patch. One of my personal favorites. Charles Schultz was a creative genus and so generous to his community. Charlie Brown really speaks to me.

I have a collection fall decor items that I love to spread around until I get out the Christmas stuff after Thanksgiving. It is very cute about my holiday decorating. John is the one who hauls the boxes up from the storage shelves downstairs. He brings up the boxes and says "okay! Here is all that stuff you scatter around each year!" But you know he gets a charge out of seeing the stuff placed around. A friend of mine is a glass blower and he gave me several hand blown glass pumpkins, I love them!

We must be on every phone scam list. We keep getting the same scam calls at the same time every day. I never answer the phone anymore unless it is someone we actually know. I think that is what most people do now.

As we have gotten older and lose friends, I get oddly angry that they had to pass away. I realize it is a crazy sort of grieving. I am going to need to adapt and honor these friends who are no longer with us in a more acceptable way. Self talk and positive celebration of their life.

The weekend is almost here. For us....everyday is a Saturday!
    Patsy

• Johncalvinfields
    Johncalvinfields Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I send out my apologies for offending anyone. I regret asking for friendship and I will be more cautious. Bit embarrassed for publicly calling me out. But lesson learned
  • linder4866
    Options
    John, I did not know you were a member of this group. Are you going to be a regular poster?

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I love looking at thatched roof cottages, but thinking about what's probably living in them, I doubt I'd want one!
    Let's see, I really haven't much news today except perhaps what might have happened to the many lost email programs last week. I learned Verizon has bought Yahoo, Outlook, AOL, WindowsLiveMail, and others I do not recall, and they are cutting back on staff and other costs, and the internet is changing in many ways! Supposedly , in the end, it will be a wonderful thing, but right now, I can't always tell what's going on!
    But SANDY, I always appreciate the information you impart, and I passed on the piece regarding Outlook 13, and he looked puzzled, followed by, "how do I do it?" This, from a man who's had a computer for longer than I! Also, at dinner last night, after a discussion re: the Equifax gaffe, I mentioned the importance of getting online with the Social Security website and updating one's account for security purposes, the man who teaches computers here looked at me and said "You've been scammed!" He was certain there is nothing like a Social Security website...we simply receive a number that follows us through life, and That's It!!! For those of you who have not registered with the department, this is the link to the very safe Social Security website! https://ssa.gov
    As far as your unexpected gifts, accept that they were an expression of love in return for your expression of love for their parents! You are always so generous with love!
    JACKIE, I don't know anything about Farage or his speech, but if he's in your Parliament, he's no different than our members of Congress, who snooze or read or just plain don't show up for learning about important debates and changing laws!
    Maybe that's a worldwide problem today, which explains the chaos!
    PATSY, oh my gosh, I can just visualize me doing exactly what you did with your Spanx: cutting your way out! And they made me look bulgy instead of slim! Love your Charlie Brown addiction! And totally understand your reaction to the news! Ugh!
    ANNE, I remember that Poem! And you have recalled for us the story of a huge historical figure! And what I can see of the Armada painting is visually exciting! Any more hidden talents? (Yes, I KNOW you didn't paint it!)
    Hi LIN, could the falling water really be true? My goodness, so many strange happenings lately! And how could you possibly consider your life boring when it wears me out just trying to follow your regimen! By the way, Hospice was just wonderful with Mike, and in fact, I just sent them a donation in memory of his year since passing. Darn, it feels like yesterday! So I hope your friend will also be kept as comfortable, pain free, and as serene as possible through a difficult period!
    John, I'm afraid none of us were aware of you joining the group, so forgive us, please, and fill us in about yourself. As for me, I could not understand why any man would be interested in being a friend of a 90 year old woman! So forgive me, please, and introduce yourself, OK? I don't think I was so much offended as leery!!!
    <3 Buzz
    ..........................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!............................

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    A storm by the name of Brian has reached us but so far we only seem to be getting the edge of him with blustery rain showers and high winds. George had a shortened walk round the village and on the way home we stopped off at our housebound neighbour. The poor lady seems to be having hallucinations seeing people in her home when no one is there and gets quite cross when it is suggested perhaps the strong drugs she's taking or maybe an infection is causing her to imagine it since this has happened before but apart from suggesting she talk to the medical people who regularly visit I can't do anything more. While the storm moves through I won't be going out again so it's a good time for housework!

Lin ~ That's so sad about your friend and also that she doesn't want to see anyone but I know this happens a lot, perhaps to avoid more emotion than they are already dealing with. Regular cards will tell her she is in your thoughts though. More than waterfalls travelling backwards today!! Here's just a small video of an area within the national park.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJTMeXUfLJ8

Anne ~ Now don't go getting homesick watching that short video! Canada has its own beauty, just different!

Buzz ~ Nigel Farage created an independent political party that spoke out against what goes on in the European parliament wasting billions as they create an institution that is not democratic but instead we have a handful of men being dictatorial so when we voted leave the union he took full credit for our country's decision and told them they needed to become pragmatic and deal with it, in his own way which is always frank and forthright. Thatched roofs are knitted together so tightly I don't think even the tiniest spider would get in although it wouldn't stop it spinning a web on the outer edge and abseiling down to a window!!

Patsy ~ That old cottage is more likely to have a boathouse rather than garage unless they've converted stables.... ideal for your son to sail his way to your door and I think John would have to be relegated to that building too!! Could you cope with an attic for your artistic creations rather than basement because with no foundations these old properties are more than a bit soggy once you dig down? Your story of cutting yourself out of the spanx had me laughing out loud. A good job you had scissors on you!! I'm convinced phone numbers are passed round among scammers so in the end we are inundated to a point where I certainly become, by my standards, rude! Hand blown glass pumpkins sound delightful but I'd probably want them on display year round.

Sandy ~ You are such a whiz when it comes to computers and anything to do with IT but it's still a foreign language to me although I see Outlook that I have my email with has recently tried to upgrade mine so seems very much like Buzz's friend has had a similar upgrade. Your friends appreciate what you do for them and I think the value of gifts is immaterial, the thought is what it's all about so enjoy.

Well, I thought storm Brian had passed but things are stirring up outside like a witches caldron so I'm going to get myself some lunch and contemplate housework before the power goes off.

Happy weekend everyone.
    Jackie

• jacean2017
    Options
    Well JACKIE now I've wiped my eyes, must hunt out my hiking boots and renew the passport. Sorry, but nowhere, absolutely nowhere beats the Yorkshire dales and moors. I've renewed my subscription to the Dalesman magazine.
    Anne, about to view the gorgeous video again. Aysgarth Falls at daffodil time spring to mind.
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Good morning all, we have another very soggy day. I am feeling it! I need Coffee, a bit of my exercise, feed the furry juvenile, and hit the dungeon. I ,again, have multiple projects in the works. If you could only see John's face when he tries to wonder into my dungeon! At my advanced age, I have given myself permission to do what intrigues me even before attending to household duties. This is with John's full support but the dimensions of my project areas can look like teenagers bedroom. Frightening!

Wow! Great video! One of the most important messages in this video is the way people care for and adore the green spaces and the area. An admirable attitude. If it were here, the developers would be drawing up plans for building huge cookie cutter housing developments. Those scary ancient castles would need to either come down as a safety hazard or fenced and you would need to pay to go through them. Do I sound impatient with the local planning commission?

More later...
    Patsy

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    how cute Lin HAPPY... BIRTHDAY ... TO ALL I HAVE MISSED THIS PAST
    YEAR LOVED YOU......MARIE.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Well, it's afternoon and I'm about to have my breakfast of Greek Yogurt and blueberries with a handful of slivered almonds, coffee and a mini bialy, which is sort of like a little bagel but better, with onions and a crisper crust...and much lower calorically! I sat down at my desk to send birthday greeting to the daughter of a very long time friend who has moved back to New York, and of course I never even try to resist my Sneaker family, and now my head is in the clouds and MOVE OVER, JACKIE, I'm on my way! What a magnificent area, and thank you for our travelogue! Also the explanation of the fellow who got you all out of the European Parliament. I really never knew quite what to make of that. and the changes were confusing when we travelled!
    Just got a call to ride to the "Flea Market", and want to grab some coffee first so forgive me for running off!
    <3 Buzz

..........................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!............................
  • linder4866
    Options
    Lovely video Jackie. Thank you so much. It does make my feet itch to actually do some traveling. If I sit with a cup of tea, it will pass. :)

I am working on cards all day long today. I found out this morning a friend’s father died and I want to make a card for his family. Also realized as we made Halloween cards last evening that I need to get my autumn cards and Halloween cards finished and in the mail soon. And it is my week for mailing to a larger group of people, so crunch time. Last evening I didn’t get lots accomplished as I helped set up, answered questions and helped the lady sitting next to me who had never held a tape runner in her hand before. I remember that new person experience nd she is an acquaintance from Book Club so I did try to help whenever she asked.

Had a long conversation with a friend this morning on the phone. Really, one of the last of my friends who will still talk on the phone rather than texting. And emailed with another friend and we finally set up a time to get together. It has been months.

Time to get back to the paper and ink.

Wishing the Sneakers a good weekend.

Hugs.

Lin