Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,099 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) Finally I am going to my meeting today, missed two weeks and certainly need to go to get back my serenity. I got both estimates and both were within $10 of each other so I am going with the one that can do it sooner. I will be without a car Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday but will make do. The total is almost $900 but I decided not to go through my insurance as Babe is going to help me. I also realized I lost my good sunglasses so things have not gone well for me. I will be fine though so many others have much worse problems than I do.

Anne, poor Jilly, I hope she didn't eat a bird or some other creature. Did she have any toys with "feathers"? I hate the sound of the carbon detector and also when the smoke alarm starts that beeping when trying to sleep. Of course I mean when the batteries are low and not that the house is on fire. I am sorry about your friend but I am sure she appreciates your calls and concern.

Buzz, I agree we have a great little group who seem to be very close even though most of haven't met each other. ( I did meet Buzz and Mike in Florida years ago while vacationing at Club Med )

I hope all is well with Lin, Jackie and Patsy but have to get ready for meeting.

Enjoy!!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    One year! Hard to believe. Glad I have my support group today! See you later!
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The day didn't start too well as on the way back from walking George round the village the DIL of my housebound neighbour called me as I walked by her bungalow and let me know the dear lady had passed away about 10 minutes earlier. So sad as she was a delightful person and I enjoyed our chats but her quality of life was zero which makes me think she is in a better place already and at least she had family with her in her final moments. My hair is cut and looking shaped and tidy for a change and I picked up my 2 auction pieces on the way home from the salon which has me now rearranging furniture because there's nowhere for the table to go until the garden room is built and no news on that front yet! It's bigger than I imagined from that photo and I seem to have also gained some dust and cobwebs but tomorrow I will attack it with a duster and polish as well as put a coat of wax on the towel rail which has me finally sorting out the spare bedroom that had become a bit of a dumping area. I'm determined to have gone all things unnecessary by the end of the year!
    If I decide to cover my dining chairs with the red fabric I'm sure they will invite the same comments as you dear friends..... some will love and others will say oh no, that's not me but it will certainly brighten the room!

Buzz ~ Thinking of you dearest. As you say, hard to believe it's a year gone by. Keep your friends close by you and take comfort from their support. <3

Anne ~ Sounds to me like stuffing from one of Jilly's toys because although George doesn't rip his, visiting dogs do tear them and all sorts of dangerous looking materials appear on my carpet. Poor little girl, I do hope she's alright. Is she eating?

Sandy ~ Ouch, that's a lot of money but I do understand avoiding the insurance company. I agree with the advice not to loan your car out to anyone just in case then at least you know for sure!!

I'll lose my post if I have to go back a page to see other posts before me and also it's time for me to cook my evening meal so will leave it here for now.

Jackie

• jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hello, I'm pretty sure it's feathers JACKIE, her toys all look intact, but I did find a white goose feather which I wonder came from my duvet. Although washed regularly I can only think maybe some feathers escaped and lurked in a corner of the duvet cover. After the first time, I vacuumed everywhere, and she did look funny peering at me from under the coffee table with a white beard, before the little monkey swallowed them. I think she was gagging on a feather the second time, because that's when I found an intact feather on the vacuumed carpet. Anyway, I've thrown the old cover out, it being garbage day tomorrow and I am using the new one I bought. She's eaten all her food today, barked at Darren and everyone else and things are still moving "down under". No signs of unusual objects so far.

By the way, I like your new fabric. The only worry I'd have is it looks great on the sofa, but would the pattern be too large to show well on dining room chair seats? Love the cheery colours though and they would certainly brighten a gloomy, rainy, November Cornish day.

Buzz, I too am thinking of you. God bless. Life can be so hard can't it.

I did phone Flo and she is nursing a bad cold so as usual I didn't really get any info to allay our fears.

Bye, Anne.

PS. JACKIE, re my comments on your fabric, I've just checked the photo again, and the way the fabric is cut to show on the pictured sofa cushions would fit your chair seats perfectly I think. But maybe a waste of fabric by using just those pieces?
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,146 Member
    Options
    Good evening, no tea this evening. Maybe I should make a cup?

Oh Sneakers, so many unhappy and/or unfortunate events.

Buzz, I hope you were able to get support from your group today. May tomorrow be a better day my friend.

Jackie. So sorry about your neighbor, that must have been a shock. I admire your ambition and determination! Good for you. I hope to muster some more of that——soon. I hope you hear something about your construction project and that all will be go-go-go.

Anne, I am concerned for your little one. Whatever wretched things they gobble down, they never want to give them back even when choking on the prize. A trip to the vet might be a safe course of action even though she has been livelier today.

Sandy, my gosh, you are really going through a spate of unhappy events. I am glad you are healthy and all is well with the grandsons. I am sure being without a car for a few days will not be pleasant but I hope you have a friend to call if you do need a ride somewhere.

Patsy, I hope you’ve had a good day and that Katie is healthy.

Hugs.

Lin
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Oh hello there...we had a sunny day. It was terrific. John had lunch with is vet friend. This is the one with a labradoodle. They compared notes and both dogs love to chew on everything and both totally destroy their toys. So I guess this is a trait of the breed. What else is in store? No matter the breed or trait, we love them all beyond reason.

I looked up at my curtains in the living room and decided I must wash them next week. They are dusty and cobweby and just plain dirty. John's ulcer is getting much better. He is starting to dream of a couple of chocolates with his afternoon coffee. It is his favorite treat. That and pie and and and and

So happy to hear Jilly is better. Katie eats sticks and blackberry vines and then upchucks it all on the living room rug. Our carpet gets cleaned one spot at a time.

Sandy: depending on your insurance, as we age we get discounts on our insurance if we take a driving course. It takes time and it is always in the early mornings here. We haven't taken it because the 8:00 am
    Class time seems way too early.

Jackie: so sorry about your friend. It is true that a lack of quality of life makes hanging on pointless. Both my mom and dad relayed that opinion. When the new garden room in under construction, I know you will be beside yourself with various details. What a great project and amazing addition to your home.

Lin: your veggies box delivery is interesting. Do you get the quality of produce that you want? We are getting a new Walmart here. So now various grocery stores are getting worried and want to offer more service. Delivery and veggie boxes are planned.

Buzz: gone but still right here...just in a nearby room. I like thinking like that about people that are gone that I love and miss so much. Thinking of you dear heart.
    Patsy

• jacean2017
    edited October 2017
    Options
    JACKIE. Very sorry you have lost your delightful neighbour. It must have been an awful and sudden shock for you. A sad day for us Sneakers.

BUZZ, I hope today passed with happy memories of your beloved Mike. PATSY is so right, our loved ones never really leave us.

My good news is although we are all worried about Flo, The Bean has been more like her old pesty self today. Not a feather in sight. This little thing, bad habits and all, has really wriggled her way into my heart. I'm sure she will be okay LIN, and won't need the vet.

Goodnight,
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    The sun is out now but when we met our walking friends on the moors this morning a low mist hung round the hills and by the time we were halfway round it had drifted into the valleys too so a rather exciting time trying to keep an eye out for cattle (black and white) and sheep (black and white) against the murk before Scruff had a chance to play games with them and risk a kick in the head!! On the way home I popped into our local town for a few items and now with washing out in that sunshine I'm planning to continue pruning roses and perennials at the top end of my garden then hopefully attack the last of the giant thorns in a bottom corner.... almost as thick as Patsy and John's but not quite as impressive!

Anne ~ When we get home from our walk I normally throw a stone for George in the parking area for him to carry through into the garden then throw it for him to chase but this morning I could see he was far more interested in something else so while I hung the washing out left him to it. It seems it was something disgusting because he just came in with muck and slime round his chops so I've had to wash his face. Probably one of Brady's trophies but a case of dogs will be dogs and I think sometimes the more he manages to wear the prouder he is of himself!! I imagine Jilly had a wow of a time with her goose feather!! The sample of fabric I've ordered will hopefully make my mind up but my measurements of the chairs tell me that from the width of the material I should cover two chairs from each meter with enough left over for the small area on the back. A seamstress is something I have never been so it could be an interesting project although there are enough websites that show how to approach it.

Patsy ~ The more visits I made to my dear neighbour the more I saw that it wouldn't be a life I could bear although what to do about it if finding myself in it? Of course there's no point even pondering the question but better to enjoy each day when and how we can. It seems I'm waiting forever for the start of construction of my garden room but from the start I knew nothing much would happen until at least late November and have told myself to stop viewing auction catalogues until it's up and finished! Our auctions are as you described where we turn up, register for a number and wave frantically when interested in an item but these days most auction houses have added an internet facility to view photos and leave a bid on line which can be risky. Yes, I will boring the socks off everyone with daily progress photos don't worry!!

Lin ~ With me, ambition and results don't always go hand in hand so I will have to be firm and tell myself off if found sitting rather than clearing out. Last night I did manage to fill a couple of large bin liners with old clothes and bedding not fit for charity shops so that's a start but have to admit the plastic trim for the bottom of kitchen walls that was supposed to be cut and attached a couple of weeks ago is still lying across the dining room floor with pots of paint sitting on it to help straighten. Last night I tripped on it without falling but told myself off..... "get the job finished for goodness sake before you have an accident" so who knows!!

Sandy ~ My car is due its MOT (annual safety check) next week and usually I get a lift home from Scruff's mum or pop round to hers for a cuppa while I wait but she has a horse riding event the same time so I must walk home but like you, tell myself there are people with far worse problems to deal with and at least I can walk!! It's good that Babe is helping you with the cost of the repair so you can move on once carried out.

Buzz ~ I do hope your day went by in the warm embrace of your friends that you so often see through bad times. <3

I've typed enough about what I plan to do today so must now get on and make a start. Another Friday and as my hairdresser reminded me yesterday, we are rushing towards another Christmas although Halloween and Guy Fawkes night to deal with first!! BBC have a drama started last Sunday on Mr Fawkes but I missed the first episode so must look at catch up tv.

Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello! The Friends of the Dales posted this picture and now I am curious. Has anyone made jam or anything out of sloes? Anne? Jackie?

5enh8bjip3q4.jpeg

I have never seen them until I spied this photo.
  • jacean2017
    edited October 2017
    Options
    No, not made, but I have tasted sloe jam. Relative of the plum, don't forget sloe gin, beloved of Victorians? Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Sloe gin Lin is a very old tradition made by pin pricking the sloes before adding them to a bottle of gin and a little sugar. Shut away in a dark cupboard for the few months leading up to Christmas only being let out for the occasional stir. Not liking gin I've made sloe vodka in the past but it's an acquired taste which is why this year I've got damson plums being seeped in vodka. That photo shows an excellent crop but they are not always easy to find since they grow on the blackthorn bush which is normally found in rural areas. A Christmas treat that granny would have enjoyed and probably felt very naughty drinking a glass but I've not come across sloe puds although recipes must be out there.
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Options
    P.S I've just spent the past half hour pruning George rather than plants after coming across one or two knots in his coat!! Finally off into the sunshine......
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Aha, thanks for the information and yes, I had heard of sloe gin but never gave much of a thought to ingredients and origins. When I like to slosh down beverages I cared little about what was in them! No longer is Long Island Iced Tea my favorite tea! :D

Well, laundry done, emails of complaint sent, ,lunch packed and now I am off to the library to see what I can do to help make the plastic yarn for the mats for the homeless. It has been a long time since we got together so I would like to at least see the folks who participate in this group. I am taking vinyl gloves to protect my hands, scissors and bandaids.

Patsy, I will have comments on my produce box after receiving a response to my email(s). But yes, you are able to select each and every item. You start with a standard box and then you can delete items, add items, whatever you want until 10pm the day before your delivery. You can skip a box, you can ask to have a delivery every two weeks instead of weekly. Trick is you always have a cart open you have to remember to tend to it on their schedule.

And off I go.

Hugs.

Lin
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Looks like we have a clear sunny day day coming on! Yea! Hooray! Today is our trash collection day. This is always a day that can get extremely annoying for John espically. He gets up early to have the containers out for pickup. BUT! Neighborhood dogs are aware of the trash day as well. It is always a race to see if the trash truck gets here first or the neighborhood dogs. The score lately gives the edge to the dogs.

I am feeling like I need to get more done in a days time. I am thinking about Christmas and the new year. I always make a list of resolutions, just to provide me with a that benchmark of goals. It is so hilarious, I found this years list and last years list. They are almost the same. I either need a new list or try to get busy and get more done or else just take things as they come or don't come. I do enjoy writing down all the possible activities for a whole year. Like the saying of today goes...awesome!

We have several friends that make special fruit infused drinks for Christmas. A favorite is lemon or our famous blackberry. I have never made these drinks but I have received bottles as gifts. They are quite strong so we mix with club soda.

Our musician friend has days when he has no idea who we are. It is a very odd feeling when that happens We feel sad and lonely. But he isn't in pain and he seems to enjoy looking at sports. His wife is doing pretty well and is making some important future plans. A short and very tough visit with them.

Since it is nearing Halloween, we are watching scary movies during exercise. We are looking at the original Alien. I was shocked at how old it is and it still scares me after all these years. It was a ground breaking film. Great characters and the art direction, design of the spaceships etc.

Sweeping off the back deck...just to be outside doing something...low impact and in the sunshine.

Patsy

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Oh my what a lovely column today. And thank you all for your kind thoughts about yesterday. Yes my support group was excellent and actually kept my mind on a survey regarding stages of grief recovery instead of the absence of my mate, but had he not departed, I would not be in the group, would I? I remembered how happy he was filling up on all those German sausages (totally forbidden, but it was an Oktoberfest party!) and seeing all the friends he had not been with while up in the nursing department, and actually, when it's my time, I hope it's also on an upbeat note!!! Thanks for the hugs and cards and they truly helped. Our chaplain and his dear wife were amazing in their support. And I shall stop wearing Mike's wedding band and put it carefully away with my own! (Yes, he will probably always be "in the next room" but it will be less painful as time goes by! I've been spending the day contacting all these wonderful politicians regarding the new Tax Reform that eliminates the estate taxes (there is none now on any estate under $10 million dollars!) and also eliminates deductions for medical expenses! Our Florida group that tries to protect seniors citizens is having a phone and writing campaign, as medical expenses can reduce one to tears. I'm happy to read that almost everyone is doing or feeling better, and agree with JACKIE regarding quality vs. quantity where longevity is concerned! I have faith Sandy's serenity will return, as it always does, and all the pups, and all you friends will have a great weekend, and I must dress now for Dining in Denmark! I ordered the duck with cherry sauce, which I never ate in Denmark! Everyone raved about the herring in cream sauce or wine sauce, so I will ring along my bib and enjoy! I never finished breakfast!
    <3 Buzz <3
    ...........................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!..............................
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Friday!! :) It has been quite a day and I have to leave to sit for boys. Spent a lot of time on the phone again and running some errands. I don't have time to post but did want to let Buzz know I am sending hugs and Jackie my sympathy for her friend. My serenity is coming back slowly but believe me my meeting helped.

I will be back tomorrow!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Our clocks go back tonight and as though the weather knows this will herald changes the temperature has fallen and the sky become leaden. Scruff is off to yet another doggy show so we began our morning walk alone although met lots of fellow walkers including George's groomer but as soon as he saw her he hid himself behind the bracken then did his best to stay out of reach until she, her husband and 4 dogs walked on! We then joined up with a nice young man that walks his Westie and Collie cross dogs. Our 2 mile stroll seemed to go quickly and pleasantly. I seem to be sneezing a lot but that could be the dust I'm unsettling as I continue the clear out! My fabric sample has arrived and is definitely a deeper red than it looks in the photo. They also kindly sent another monkey business colour that has a charcoal background but it's far too dark so having looked for a while at a chair with the red sample layed out on its seat I'm going to take the plunge and order it as I think it will be fun but warm at the same time.

Midday already so I must get on before lunch which recently Buzz has consisted of a bagel with cream cheese.... all your fault!! ;)

Jackie
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Good morning!
    I think you will enjoy the fabric JACKIE. It's always a bit scary when we plunge into something a little different, but I bet you will enjoy the warm colours on a cold winter day.
    I plunged yesterday as well. I bought myself an expensive, huge, absolutely all pure beeswax candle from the organic shop. I already had a smaller one. I've put the two on a large flattish fruit bowl and surrounded them with very realistic looking but fake apples and pears. Just need a few gold, brown and red leaves collected soon on our morning walk and I've got me a pretty centre piece for the coffee table. Think I will do the same as Christmas approaches with real holly, Ivy and fir from the garden. Makes a change from flowers.
    I've got good news as well. The new piece for the furnace is to be fitted on Monday afternoon just in time as temperatures drop!
    Oh and I plunged and bought a lottery ticket for tonight's draw. What a hoot if it came up!
    Jill is back to normal. Mike and I laughed yesterday. I asked him if he'd like to finish lunch with a small scone and said "Jilly can have a small piece". Jilly immediately dropped her toy, raced over to me in the kitchen, wagged her tail and whined. It's amazing what these dogs understand of the human language. I can't even spell walkies anymore! George recognized the dreaded groomer outside on his walk and in a different environment!
    Well, I hope everyone enjoys Saturday with no mishaps,
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Good morning

Jackie, good for you. Taking the plunge on the bright fabric even though it was not exactly the color you thought it was and I am still giggling about George hiding from the groomer. Apparently he does not enjoy being groomed? Haaaaaaa. Clocks here go back in November so that is coming soon. I need to change batteries in several clocks and I have been thinking of replacing batteries and changing the time all at once. Maybe before the official date. How terrible that you had to eat a bagel and cream cheese due to the influence of an eloquent friend!!

Anne, I am so glad Jilly is back to herself, even though that is a bit of a handful. Wahoo!! And the centerpieces/arrangements sound lovely. Making a few changes is a good idea as I think it lifts the spirits. And good good good luck with the lottery ticket. I have to deliver the bad news that mine did not win anything. Darn. I am very glad that the furnace will be fixed soon. It has been so cold here. Winds yesterday between forty and fifty mph with bits of snow flurries just to scare us. It worked, my snow brushes are now in the vehicles.

It was lovely to visit with so many ladies yesterday that I hadn’t seen since the last plarn fest. I stayed to the end and vacuumed the room after we finished. That is a requirement of using the room. You must leave it as you found it. No trash, no litter on the floor, tables and chairs in the original setup. We always have plastic bits all over the carpet from our work. The little vacuum made short work of it though.

I am going to a different library this afternoon to make a couple of cards. No idea of the theme. She was asking for ideas on Thursday so apparently she had nothing planned. She sells for one of the large companies so she should have nice products available. I am bad—I have never purchased from her, so far at least.

Well, must move on but I must say, hot coffee is quite delicious on a cold morning even when I am indoors.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Finally a little time for myself before going to Church and stopping by to see Babe and Daisy. Slept in again today after sitting for the boys last night. I had them both in bed when the parents came home, which they seemed grateful.

Lin, I am glad you had a good time with your friends yesterday. What a kind person you were to stay to vacuum the the room, do you all take turns? Enjoy your card making this afternoon.

Anne, great to hear your furnace will be repaired for the cold weather. I am not ready for the cold but it feels like snow here today. I swear dogs understand what we say or it could be the infliction we use which makes them happy. Each time I ask Daisy for a kiss, even when she is across the room, she comes to me and gives me a big kiss. It amazes Babe.

Jackie, our clocks used to go back on the last Saturday of October but they changed it for the trick or treaters. It gets so dark so early when we change, I hate that. I think the material will be great and can't wait to see the finished product.

Buzz, I am so happy that you have a support group to help you get through tough days. Happy memories get us through some of the toughest times.

Patsy, I can hardly believe it is so close to Christmas, the stress of the gifts gets to me and although I have cut down, I still have 7 grandchildren and 4 kids with spouses. Good luck with those scary movies, I am a baby and can't watch anything scary, especially with blood and guts. I do like Criminal Minds though and that is pretty gory at times.

Have a great Saturday!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time