Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    We are all moist -eyed over our magnificent Veterans' Day celebration. Our Chaplain's wife did the most professional video of ALL our veteran's service photos, and the singers performed so beautifully, I wish I could describe the emotions of the morning but nothing would do it justice. And of course I could not bypass the hotdog luncheon following...it's Veterans' Day after all! Ouch! So many asked why Mike's name was not included; it was last year that he was mentioned as being deceased!Just 3 weeks after he died! I miss him!
    LIN, unfortunately, it sounds like your "lady" is very controling, and I gues you'll handle it with your usual graciousness! How frustrating for you, dear.
    PATSY and ANNE, Wow, Pandora's Box, ladies! When we have elected a leader who bragged during his campaign that as a celebrity he could grab any woman anywhere and she would never complain...what does that tell us about women's self-image? I think my knee would have come in very handy had he approached me, but today, the Alabama Judge is being forgiven by his electorate because it resembles Joseph and young Mary? Am I crazy? Or has something rather horrible happened to reasoning? There are still gentle people in this world , but please don't allow the repugnant groups to take over simply because it's unpleasant to think about! History repeats itself whether we like it or not!
    I must say JACKIE's post, and Sandy's, too, deserve comment, but I'm rushing to early dinner as there will be holiday programs following, so love you all, and please forgive!
    <3 Buzz
    .....................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!..............................
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,146 Member
    Options
    Good evening, home again, thank the Lord. I was hoping everyone would be on best behavior and maybe even be a bit extra kind today. My very ill friend died this past week and her funeral is Monday. She was always involved in this dinner. I guess rather than being extra kind, nerves were shot and claws were out. Another lady got involved in the Location Controversy and said we would have to be moved to a different location next year as it was inappropriate to have items for sale in that area. I must say the two of us working this bit of the effort have had enough. We will step aside and let those with specific ideas run it next year if this nonsense continues. From our perspective it was the best ever. We had space, people could circulate and we sold a lot!

I suspect you did not need to hear that but people are definitely imperfect creations. I should have searched for armor.

It sounds as if many of you had good heartfelt celebrations of Veterans Day. I am glad to hear that.

I think the Queen should do less. She deserves a workload reduction.

Anne, I hope you enjoyed shopping day.

Buzz, you have so many meaningful programs and activities. I think it is wonderful.

Jackie, my gosh what weather! I would likely have headed back to the car immediately.

Sandy, enjoy your trip.

I am sorry to not comment on all your lovely posts but I am going to finish my dishes and will stretch out for a while and watch The Last of the Summer Wine.

Whoppee, church tomorrow.

Hugs.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Bright sunshine gave us a false sense of security as we headed for the moors and our usual walk. Once in the car park we realised it was going to be impossible to walk on the top moor with such a wild wind blowing so stayed on a path that offers some shelter but still found ourselves being batted and knocked about. After a coffee and pause at 11 am to think of those who have lost their lives in war I am now going to see if I can get on with a few chores, the first being to yet again paste the wallpaper with PVA that has been torn by Brady and hopefully paint over the damage! He's currently curled up on a chair in the sunshine with paw over his eyes looking so sweet but I know better!!!

I wish everyone a peaceful and pleasant Sunday.
    Jackie
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It probably wouldn't work JACKIE, I'm not even sure which of your rooms Brady sharpens his claws in, (hall?) but being an old cottage would wooden planks to a depth of say 4ft work around the bottom part of your walls? A sort of border which you sometimes see in bathrooms or old pubs. A narrow shelf across the top and you could paint the bottom 4ft with a colour picked out of your wallpaper. Just a thought but in the long run could maybe save a lot of work caused by naughty puss.

This weekend is turning into quite something. We have roadworks and pipe laying everywhere for the condos sprouting like mushrooms and spoiling our pretty little corner of town. Mike had a dreadful time trying to get through all the roads partly closed around me, so he is coming over today to try a different but much longer route. Mark has the same problem if visiting me or the organic store. THEY are not amused. Jilly's favourite cashier told me everyone is complaining who had no idea of the mess before visiting the store and she was worried about driving home after her shift. That's how bad it is! The Railway crossing doesn't help either! Something must have gone wrong with the water pipe laying to cause so much chaos. Hope it's all clear for Santas arrival in 2 weeks time! The parade of course!

Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Good day, leaving soon. We are having nicer weather today. No freezing rain last evening and temperatures should rise today to perhaps—50 degrees. Wahoo!

Jackie, I am sorry for the bad weather and for a naughty kitty. Our dear animals certainly can do damage to a lovely home sweet home. One of my dogs chewed the steps to the basement and got hold of the edge of some drywall and made quite a mess that was really not fixable. So my house has battle scars. I hope you will be able to repair the damage in your house.

Anne, the road construction sounds beyond inconvenient to paralyzing. My gosh, what were they thinking? I hope they get things back together soon.

Well, a few more sips of hot coffee and then off to face the world. Haaaa

Hugs.

Lin
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Our weather is also just dreadful! But this is what happens around here.

Ooooh do I understand your dilemma, Jackie! We ialso have battle scars from our various pets. We have repaired some and others are still in evidence. I believe dogs can actually be more destructive than cats. All our friends with cats have these interesting constructions covered with carpeting. They call them cat condos. They include a scratching post and an on area on top to sit and look out of a window. I would get one and as luck would have it, the adorable little monster would ignore it. Our friends stash catnip on this thing to keep the cats interest.

Anne, we also have the road construction going !on. So far it is just ugly and noisy and makes for slow going at times. We live on a road with two draw bridges. Delays are part of our life. We have located very important radio stations on the car radio. In fact we have internet radio and I love it for just that reason. Sitting at a draw bridge upping and lowering can be eternal. It requires good music or good news programs.

Making Soup today and ordering Christmas gifts. I think we need more mellow jazz today. Also Sunday morning baroque on the radio while I whip up that soup. Have a cozy day everyone. Good music will always make things better.
    Patsy
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,099 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Laundry is started and yes I know it is not Monday but leaving tomorrow morning and wanted it done before I left. My son leaves for New Jersey on business at noon but sent me a text that Lisa was at urgent care with Robby. He has an ear infection, sore throat and a fever. I told her I would go there to help her after I get caught up so she can go to the store and take a break. I just hope I don't get sick.

Lin, we have light drizzle and 40 degrees but the dampness goes right through me. Sorry about the the rudeness of some people and those who don't appreciate a job well done. If someone thinks they can do better than let them do it, you have done your share.

Anne, it sounds like a nightmare with the driving conditions in your area, tell your boys to be careful. With Santa coming in on a sleigh, he should be fine. lol

Jackie, you really get some bad winds and weather in your neck of the woods, stay safe.
    Innocent little Brady, doing all that damage? George is probably smirking!!!

Buzz, hugs to you. I am sure it was very emotional with the veterans and made you miss Mike even more than usual. In lieu of that a hot dog is great comfort food.

Could not fall asleep last night and was still tossing and turning at 3am. Needless to say I am very tired today. Enjoy your day and if I don't post I will be back Wednesday night.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• Sandydur
    Options
    Not going after all, I don't want to take a chance on getting sick or carrying a germ to get my friends sick.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    I woke up at around 7 AM despite getting to bed around 4. But I was looking forward to talking to DS and DDIL on FaceTime before 9 AM, which would be around 3 PM in Germany. Putting on glitzy earrings at that hour seemed crazy, but they didn't even notice I had dressed for them, lol! Somehow, my morning flew by and I went down for lunch, where I learned about friends receiving invitations to join a "couples club" . I had a reaction to this that I was not proud of, as I mentioned I never joined things I considered divisive. No one even understood my remark, and suggested it was nothing more than a group of couples, definitely not meant to be exclusive. I asked what happens if one of a "couple" becomes deceased or otherwise incapacitated. It is being started by one of the newer couples who have moved in from what they consider an "exclusive" development which owns the land upon which Edgewater was built. I know I overreacted, but I still feel uncomfortable about the direction in which some of the newer residents seem to be heading. I can't even really put my finger on why I feel this way, but perhaps you will see something I overlooked!
    I later went upstairs to visit my former neighbor, whose much younger wife still lives opposite me. A brilliant young couple torn apart by his rapid descent into Parkinson's Disease, and even the voice box she has invested in doesn't help much to project his thoughts. Life can be cruel, as this man was/is a journalist with a most fabulous humor while she has a large law office, and should have been retiring just when his condition took a turn for the worse! I could barely make out his explanation of a series of awards he is setting up for 3 competing journalists, despite him living in our nursing home area! I keep reminding myself to count my blessings, eh?
    Well, perhaps I shall go down for tonight's movie, as I dread watching tonight's news again! I'll grab a bite first...
    <3 Buzz

.....................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen!..............................
  • jacean2017
    Options
    If I've interpreted correctly I can completely understand your reaction to the "couples club" BUZZ. How insensitive can you get! Totally unfair to single folk and the widowed and just as you say what happens when a partner dies or is incapacitated? Is the grieving partner thrown out and left to struggle alone? I hope your management puts a stop to such childish, insensitive and discriminatory behaviour. I can understand a group of friends forming an art group or book club etc which is open to all with similar interests regardless of various levels of expertise. But a couples club! How daft! I can put my finger on it, it brings back memories of past "exclusive" clubs. If formed, will the couples have their own tables at meal times?

I saw the family today at various times but didn't get out apart from Jilly walking because everybody had to take wide detours to get to my place.
    Goodness knows how someone managed to cause such chaos but the road closures had some good points. For instance no traffic on our road and you could hear a pin drop or rather a leaf drop on our strolls.

Anne
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Doesn't this remind you of those high school cliques? Oh my! Did you ever get invited to join a sorority? Some of the meanest people on planet earth. Anyway, Buzz, I just had to laugh remembering the sort of people who insist on exclusivity. What was that quote about...I wouldn't want to join a club whose standards were low enough to invite me. Or something like that. They sound terribly dull,truth be told.
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    Options
    What a difference in 24 hours! This morning is sunny, relatively warm for November and that dreadful wind has blown itself out so we had a wonderful stroll across the moors as we compared notes on tv programmes over the weekend. For me an outstanding documentary showed a few techi individuals given the task of inventing computerised aids for children with a variety of disabilities. Such amazing minds that came up with incredible ideas that brought beaming smiles to the faces of children as their worlds became wider and inclusive for the first time in their difficult lives. After lunch I'm taking George to meet my friends in the next town one of whom you'll remember was on life support not so long ago but apparently last week did some Christmas shopping on her own while her husband bought the groceries. George adores them so will have a great afternoon being fussed!

Buzz ~ Your reaction to this couple's club idea is quite understandable and it's not only because on Saturday you were thinking of Mike a great deal. The number of friends you have lost since moving in to your facility speaks volumes about just how many of you have found yourselves having to cope with the loss of your loved one and it's the support of everyone that hopefully gets you through the grieving process. It has struck me how inclusive you all are so why on earth create a club that immediately discriminates because that's what it does. It is a clique as Patsy commented and one you wouldn't want to be a part of so perhaps as you've voiced your opinion, let them get on with it because I'm thinking give it 6 months and they'll all be bored with each other.... what on earth are they going to get up to or talk about that requires couples only? Oh dear, you don't think it's a keys in the ashtray get together do you!! :D:D

Patsy ~ My dear cat Jasper who had to be put to sleep not so long ago had a scratching post that saved my sofa from being shredded into pieces but it was obvious from the start that Brady's claws come out to gain attention whether he wants more kibble in his bowl or just a quick cuddle so a post wasn't going to do the trick. Luckily George is now well trained to run, bark and chase him away but not before he's done his best to lick him into submission! It's very funny so I've now also got him chasing my cat Hebe away from the carpet she insists on popping her claws in so wool threads are beginning to stand upright or fill the vacuum cleaner! On Saturday night I watched the movie Effie Gray which was about the wife of John Ruskin the Victorian art critic and philanthropist. I had a vague knowledge of their disturbing relationship and the fact he was emotionally scarred by his relationship with his overbearing mother but felt the film put him in a very poor light when in fact he was a highly intelligent and talented man for all his imperfections. After that I'm not sure if I'm recommending it to you or not!!

Lin ~ It's only my opinion but I feel you do need to step away from this commitment and let someone else arrange it next year. You offer so much at your church on a weekly basis so your involvement won't be diminished; it's more a case of recognising when you're not going to win in some peoples eyes. Take a break sweetheart!

Sandy ~ A wise choice especially if you are flying because I think planes' air conditioning harbours germs and blows them around the cabin! Have a great few days away.

Anne ~ You might be lucky and those having to find alternative routes will discover with their sat navs they don't have to drive down your street when the roads are repaired thus leaving you in peace. The opposite happened here last year when locals found our quiet road when another was closed for a few days and continue to use it as a cut through. Of course they still drive as if they are on a wider stretch and on more than one occasion I've had to drag George with me on to a grassy bank into hedges during a walk to avoid a collision!

Hooray, my chair material has arrived but I have to get myself into a shower and readied for our afternoon out so won't be attacking a dining chair today!

Happy Monday.
    Jackie

• jacean2017
    Options
    JACKIE, your last comment had me wondering as well! Lol. Keep clear BUZZ dear! Yes PATSY, I DO remember high school clubs and I love the quote which is new to me. Lol again,
    Anne
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Monday!! :) Not flying, the drive is an hour and a half, not far. Wish me luck!!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Monday, Monday. Time to get a haircut, stop by the bank, maybe a few things from the store and then the remainder of the day funeral and associated events. I am thinking of just going to the funeral and not participating in the procession to the cemetery, that service and the gathering after. Visitation was packed last evening and I spoke with everyone there that I was hoping to see.

Buzz, I agree with the other opinions. A couples club seems a little odd to me. If some people just want to get together as friends, who would be stopping them but why a club? I was never asked to join anything so I guess I find all that type of thing unnecessary.

Sandy, Stay well. This the season of the bug. A friend didn’t show up at something she usually attends and I found out she had a bug—a three day virus of some type. I am thankful she decided to stay home when she was first feeling a bit unwell.

Jackie thanks for the advice. I am the type of person who is quite easy to push around as I don’t like to cross people, I am more a people-pleaser although not to as great a degree as in the past. I now just remove myself completely from a situation which may not be the best answer. Yippee, the material has arrived already. Now you can spend some time plotting your project. I am amazed your friend is doing so well. Miracles do happen.

Anne, road construction. Yep, happens around here all the time but it is certain this street will not bear additional traffic due to construction elsewhere, it is a cul-de-sac. If a residential street here gets too popular, people petition for a speed bump or an expensive round about at the intersection. Both options encourage drivers to find another route.

Patsy, I agree with your comments, clubs where you have to be asked to join are not worth it to me. I think open clubs based on a mutual interest are just fine.

Time to run along.

Hugs.

Lin
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Just for fun I checked on where that quote came from...Groucho Marx! What an amazing comic. An acquired taste, no doubt!

We had a nice lunch with our friends, musician and wife. They seemed okay today. Odd thing was the weather. We had heavy rain and strong wind. Just as we were leaving the electricity went. Came home immediately since Katie was home alone. All was well. Whew! The cook at this little Thai restaurant is from Thailand and barely speaks English. She has a crush on John. She insists on bringing him his food herself. The rest of us get served by a waitperson. He always teases her and the rest of the wait staff. It ends up like a big family thing gathered around our table. The owner always pulls up a chair and sips tea while we eat and we all chat...sort of. It is hard going. They all speak so little English.

The other thing that came out at lunch was that our friend has gout. I always assumed that one had to watch carefully with gout. No red meat, no shellfish, limited fats, no butter! Our friend is going to have a very difficult time with this food limitation during the holidays. They both enjoy a good plate of wonderful rich food. It does get hard during holidays but I love veggies and a lot of delicious fruit. How great is that?

The week has begun!
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    edited November 2017
    Options
    PATSY, aha, I finally have an observation to share regarding my gout! I started taking tart cherry pills daily (or juice) and I just realized, I've not had a gout attack in many moons! If I feel onw beginning in the toe or foot, I use my Biofreeze jelly on the area, and it soon becomes bearable. Perhaps it would help others. My problem lately with stormy weather hovering is the darn arthritis! It really seems to be attuned to weather changes! I am so impressed with your support to that couple, as difficult as it may be for you!
    I also want to thank everyone for your observations re: the couples club! I'm thinking of discussing it with our manager, especially since I learned it was possibly suggested by our sales manager! It has been a revelation to discover which people approve and which ones scoff at the idea!
    LIN, follow the sage advice and start putting your own needs and feelings first! And remain far away from controlling people as their interest has to do with their own needs, not yours!
    SANDY, good idea; safe trip!
    JACKIE, I know you would never declaw your feline friends, but it would surely tempt me, thinking about the shredding of your lovely possessions! I know...I know!!! Good news about your lady friend's recovery!
    ANNE, I think I should save and print yours and everyone else's remarks before seeing our Susan (our Manager)! Talk about support! And I also hope your detour won't last too long, grrrr!
    My sister asked for a current picture and in taking a "selfie" I was really amazed with the new editing included in the latest Windows 10 download! It has always driven me crazy, but this time it is simple!. I'll try to include it here! I'm letting my hair grow again!
    <3 Buzz
    .....................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Gone is the blue sky with its warm sunshine but although our walk was chilly and damp we had a lovely time having bumped into a couple and their 3 dogs that we sometimes see. As ever we know the dogs' names but not the humans!! Back home I've cleared my kitchen sink of washing up and also wheeled an old cupboard and table top out to our parking area to be collected by our local council's bulky waste team. The old dining table that has been replaced with my recent acquisition of the pretty Georgian one with a ring of flowers carved round the outer edge will be added when my neighbour and I go to yoga as she can help me lift it.

Yesterday's visit to my friends was most enjoyable. I took a pack of homemade cakes from our farm shop for us to indulge ourselves with along with many cups of tea. Proof if proof were needed that we should never believe 100% everything the medical profession tells us was my friend walking round her house with only a slight limp and apparently that only happens when she is tired and her foot "gets lazy" so she'll no doubt work on that over time because she's definitely not one for laziness! Now that I have a couple of meters of the chair material I'm really pleased with it and think so long as I can position a monkey or two on each seat they will look fab. A staple gun together with removing tool has arrived today so I'm ready to get started once I pluck up the courage!

Buzz ~ At times Brady has probably been closer to a beheading than declawing but a little voice in my head says there was a reason why, of all the people who walk on those moors, the little mite found me and it is after all only wallpaper!! Being retired what else have I got to do other than re-paste and paint the same area over and over again?? :s

Patsy ~ Appropriate for today : Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies ~ Groucho Marx
    ;);)

Lin ~ I completely understand where you're coming from but sometimes removing yourself from an uncomfortable situation is the only solution. Being a live and let live sort of person I was always an appeaser trying to keep everyone happy but as I got older I realised there are some folk who will never see another's point of view and since I have less energy to waste I avoid throwing any away!!!

Three weeks of paying out for Euro millions tickets and not getting a penny back has me already feeling disillusioned with this gambling lark! Our postcode lottery isn't being any kinder either so perhaps I should put the cost of the tickets in a pot and purchase a nice bottle of wine at Christmas!!

Lunchtime for me and see if I can watch the day's news at the same time without getting indigestion!

Jackie

• jacean2017
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Love the political saying JACKIE, and go for the wine! I've given up as well! Anne.
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Just been for our walk and we met two very large, solid and square British bulldogs. Amiable they stood to attention like guardsmen as my German/Tibetan/Mexican mix jumped excitedly around them like a jumping Bean. Each head alone was bigger than the whole quivering mass of Jilly Bean. If I owned these two Churchillian look alikes I'd feel as safe as houses!

Anne (now what's the Bean yapping at and defending our house from!)