Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,133 Member
    Options
    Hello friends,

Time to leave for the weekly Mah Jongg game. Then on to an afternoon of card making. Looking forward to some regular activities. The last week has filled my head with too many thoughts.

Buzz, your hair is growing out so quickly. Lovely. Long or short it is always beautiful.

Jackie, lotteries are just a pipe dream but since someone wins from time to time it keeps the dream alive. Enjoy the wine! And best wishes on positioning the fabric to best advantage. I would be so excited about the table that I would want it immediately!

Anne, I still get a ticket once in a while. But then I do not care for wine. :D

Patsy, I am glad you had a good lunch with your friends but sorry about the gout. Our former Pastor suffered so with it and never found a good solution. It sounds as if Buzz is on a good program for managing it.

Time to pack my lunch and then climb in the car.

Best wishes all. Hugs.

Lin

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    woe is me! Tonight was our monthly "Birthday night" and after dinner a sweet talented singer entertained us with her selection of Mary Martin songs and stories, and I guess it was very pleasant (although I'm not too taken with vibrato voices) but having taken my Mirapex [my Restless Leg rescue Rescuer] I looked at the clock and ---WHERE DID MY TIME GO? I am so tired tonight ; my cleaning helper comes tomorrow and I decided to make the bed today so I could attend an important meeting tomorrow. Well, by the time I finished stripping, washing, and replacing the bedding, 3 hours had passed and I was out of breath, patience, and arthritis had taken firm hold! I'm thinking next time, I might make arrangements for in-house help to come. My regular gal doesn't make a crisp wrinkle-free bed any longer, due to her[/ arthritis! My bed is tight as a drum right now, until I climb in, right? :s Anyway, I must mention how clever Groucho was and thank you, JACKIE, for reminding us again! I know I need sleep when I keep seeing rows and rows of one letter upon my desktop!
    <3 Buzz
    .....................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen...............................
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Another grey day for us although the rain is holding off. The walk across the moors was a struggle for me as my hip is having a good old complain this morning, no doubt due to yesterday's yoga class that had me rolling on the floor from hip to hip, arms outstretched above my head. I'm told it's good for me but really!!!
    After a full month I finally received a response from the coach company about our theatre trip problem when we were given tickets up in the gods after paying to avoid that area. Although given advice by their website helpline to upgrade apparently I should have read the small print that states front upper circle could be included. Needless to say my response has been to the point... we won't be booking trips with them again!!
    No specific plans today so I'll probably do some housework and perhaps begin to pick at a dining chair to see how it all goes together before taking apart.... perhaps take photos as I go so that I have a reminder when refurbishing.

Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good morning, Tai Chi this morning and Jackie, even that has stretches and repeated movements that sometimes make my body speak to me the next day. Argh. I am sorry your hip is causing you such distress. Not happy to hear that. Also, fine print. Yep, they can overwhelm us with the detail which is not in the spirit of what we thought we were buying. And the only recourse is to avoid them in the future. I have no doubt that my price protection guarantee will end up the same with nothing in my pocket and an explanation of what I did not understand!

Buzz, I would try to find some help with that bedding. It takes me forever to remove the bedding, haul it to the basement to wash and dry and then putting everything back together is frustrating. I keep walking back and forth trying to get the corners on properly. If help is available, grab it.

I will probably stop by the library to see if any of my friends are there, then there is an online webinar on tax reform, a topic which has me horrified. And I should pick up some frozen vegetables at some point in time. It can wait though.

Working on Christmas cards was fun yesterday. I hope to learn more each time I attend and maybe at some point I will be quicker with the routine bits. I did bring home the assembled cards and spent the evening adding sparkle, shine etc. I do like to take my time with that bit.

There is a small probability of sunshine today. That would be lovely.

Hugs.

Lin
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Not a bad walk at all today, quite tropical in fact with sunshine and plus 3c.

I gave up on yoga. Partly because the teacher was a sprightly young thing who hadn't yet reached the age of complaining hips. "You can do it" she would trill" one leg bent over her head the other stretched in front of her. This was to a group of elderly ladies and one lone gent in the Over Sixties Senior Club. Some of us had to sit in chairs supposedly doing this remarkable feat. I think most of us there where really into some rather jazzy yoga clothes. Whatever, I came to the conclusion for me that I was better off walking. Another drawback everyone except the lone gent was into after yoga coffee cliques with their long time and work free pals. I wasn't there long enough to break into these groups. only about 2 years, and the difficulty of being sociable when one is concentrating on placing ones gammy knee over ones bent as low as possible head.

Good luck with the chairs JACKIE. I bet you will love the end result.
    Anne.
    PS. Should also mention I gave up on the over sixties club as well. It seemed to be divided into two camps, the well off and the not so well off. This meant I was sort of in the middle fitting into neither group a lonely little petunia, although the observing of the two groups was interesting. I finished up working on the front desk voluntarily, but the fees for joining started increasing and I decided the garden, the house and my friends far more interesting and me a little better off. Old misery that I am!
    Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Dear ladies, I think we all seem to belong to the same genre and I find it so uplifting! When I was youngish and supple and into Jane Fonda, I could wrap my leg around my neck with no problem, or sitting, could easily throw (literally) my legs back to the ground behind my head until my knees touched the ground beside my ears! I was certain this would somehow be helpful in saving me the aches and pains of old age (anything over 65!) I wont even do chair yoga now, as it always throws something out of whack, for which they want me to go to the physical therapist to get better so I can get hurt in yoga again! Walking may be the safest exercise, as long as you listen to your body! Forget no pain, no gain! Pain tells us something is wrong!
    ANNE, I hear your story of the over sixties club loud and clear. I suspect the same will be true of the couples club here, which a number of people feel honored at being asked to join! I love Groucho's one about any club that would want me is one I wouldn't want!
    LIN, I'd love to sneak in on that tax webinar! I just read that the fellow Obama put in charge
    financial oversight will be stepping down by the end of the month since the post will be deleted! Yes indeed, our government sees no need for us poor slobs to be able to sue banks etc. for doing us wrong! Here we come, ALICE, down into your hole where the world is upside down!
    JACKIE, be sure to snap a picture of the first seat cover you make. I know they will be thoroughly entertaining and wonderful! And watch those hips! If I were to get down on the floor, I'd never get up!
    I'm certain the weather and barometric pressure affect me, so I'm sending forth a call for bright sunny days, please heaven!
    <3 Buzz

.....................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen...............................
    (I keep hoping!)
  • jacean2017
    Options
    But something wonderful did happen BUZZ. With the coming of the clique bunch you've become an amused observer. Much more fun watching all the sheep. Be sure to ask the joiners if they have their keys at the ready. They won't have a clue what you mean and when they ask you just say "Ah" and look mysterious. Hey, you can have a lot of fun with this turn of events! And we are here to share all the future happenings including the "couples club" demise.

For some reason I'm reminded of another poem from the past. Originally an old English nursery rhyme it was adopted for wartime posters.
    A wise old owl sat in an oak
    The more he saw the less he spoke,
    The less he spoke the more he heard
    Why aren't we like the wise old bird.

I'm not sure if the roads are back to normal or not. I think they might be because men in white overalls are haring up and down ladders. They seem to be hydro workers. Nothing wrong with THEIR hips, but with the fullness of time......

Anne.
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Sort of cloudy, sort of rainy, sort of sunny! I am getting ready for a nice thanksgiving. I am also thinking about the Christmas decor I love so much. It is a lot of work but...I really feel depressed and sad if I don't get into the spirit.

I wish I could adopt the notion of limited exercise but our doctor is really sure we need to try to keep those muscles exercised and active. I think it is mainly because I am a total slug if left to my own design. So John and I do our 60 minutes of exercise in front of the TV while watching movies. We are watching a really nail biter now. It is just out, called "Wind River" and it is rather gritty. I think John loves the ominous music and the scary stuff. We have a deal going now. I will watch this rather violent movie with him but next will be a happy Christmas movie.

Katie has been a pill lately. I am not sure why but I am trying to make sure she gets enough playtime and her perpetual ball games. I think she gets bored and her ideas of interesting activities are not the greatest.

I have never been very interested in clubs but I do enjoy an internet writers group. They are a very supportive gang of people who like to write. They offer opinions and see areas in ones writing that needs work. We are all amateurs but several have published books. Is that a club? I call it a support group.

Lin: John said the new Lee Child book is another winner! I am anxious to get my hands on it next. He is blazing through it pretty fast.

Jackie: we feel it is important to let these businesses know when their customers are dissatisfied. They do get complacent and start to neglect customer service. That is how a downward spiral starts. I see that happening in Costco. Sad! They used to be so wonderful. I am really visiting their suggestion box often!

Planning turkey day menu and activities. Katie will get a new neckerchief with pumpkins in the design.
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    ANNE, you are a hoot! I used to quote that little poem all the time! What a memory ;)
    PATSY, your group is not a club; it may be a common interest forum, but is probably open to anyone interested in learning how to properly present stories. How wonderful!
    I wax nostalgic at the idea of a house smelling of a cooking turkey! What a nice thought to go to sleep on!
    <3 Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    I wonder what happened to my last post. I recalled ANNE's owl howled and reassured PATSY a writers group is NOT a club. Now on thatmnn note perhaps I'll catch 40 winks!
    <3 Buzz

• jacean2017
    Options
    Good morning. Not much from me today because I'm sleepy after being awake most of the night. I was worried about The Bean but she appears fine now, playing snatch Anne's duster etc. When she's particularly good she gets a treat which is all natural sweet potato but is thin strips and maybe sharp edges. She had one last evening and being on the greedy side it was gone in no time, all 6" of it. Then she started coughing and heaving, obviously had a piece stuck in her small throat. Very late to go to the vet we went to bed and sure enough at 2 in the morning she started coughing again and threw up water, no food. TMI? Anyway, she fell asleep and I remained wide awake. This morning she's eaten 2 small dog bowls of minced chicken, yapped at passing dogs and played chase the duster so I presume whatever was stuck is now on its passage!
    No more natural dried sweet potato strips in poor Jilly's future. There's a posh dog store "downtown" so we will see what they offer in treats.
    Soft treats at that!
    I'm not sure what will happen first. Me being a pauper or me having a heart attack because I am very fond of the little pest.

Anne, with her eyes half closed.
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Wow! Big lightening and loud house rattling thunder! I am so glad this does not distress Katie. She is mildly courious in all the noise and hubbub going on outside.

I will need to take back my recommendation for the new little movie, Wind River. It was an important movie about the sad frequent occurrence of abused Native American women. There is a particularly violent scene that had me scurrying out of the room. The sound wasn't consistent and I missed some dialogue. The acting was good. The scenery was spectacular. The message was heartbreaking. You have to be very strong to watch this. You really can't call this entertainment. The director insisted that the Weinstein Co be scrubbed from the credits and profits be used for Harvey Weinstein's victims. It is really a sad documentary-drama of an ongoing social problem.

On to more uplifting topics. Need more coffee. The day is waiting out there.
    Patsy
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!! :) I am back home, broke!! We had a great time and will be going back in the Spring. On a sad note my neighbor and great friend that lived next door to Babe died on Saturday. He was out celebrating birthdays with his whole family and came home, collapsed and died. He was 84 and loved by all. The wake is today and the funeral tomorrow. I will go to my meeting, then to the wake and later to sit for the boys while mom has a girl's night out.
    I will also go to the funeral tomorrow and sit again tomorrow night. Saturday we are celebrating both Lisa and Rob's birthdays so busy days ahead.

I have kept up with the posts so I am all caught up with your busy lives. By the way the nurse from the doctor's office called and said my polyp was benign but I have a little diverticulosis which only means I need more fiber in my diet. I do not have to go back for 5 years for another colonoscopy so I am happy about that.

Have a great day!!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good evening, the day ran away from me. Quick trip to TJ’s this morning, on to the post office and then joined friends at the library. We had fun and chatted long after we were due to leave the room but weren’t thrown out so we stayed. Then home to look for my vegetable delivery, some cooking, and worked on a little painting project, and finally finished reading a book.

I haven’t set out the materials I want to take with me to the paper crafting event. Oh well. Maybe I will wait until morning.

Sandy, welcome home my broke friend. What a busy few days you have coming your way. Woooo.

Patsy, I get quite nervous during storms and jump when there is loud thunder!! No wonder my dogs were nervous as well, I was probably a beacon of nervous energy. I hope you had a wonderful day.

Anne, I am sorry Jilly gulped her treat and then became ill. My large dogs loved to just grab something and swallow it with no chewing at all. I think the male was always afraid I might try to take something away from him or that the female might try to get any leftover bits he might drop. He would nearly choke trying to swallow but he never gave up the habit. I hope you get some rest tonight.

Buzz, are you ignoring the irritating couples? I thought of you as I heard the horrid news that the Republicans prevailed on the first step of tax reform. I am so worried about the changes. Not that tax code is perfect but really, PERMANENT tax cuts for business but not for individuals? People vote, not corporations. But then corporations provide the money to keep politics running. What a mess!

Jackie, taking photos seems a great idea. Always good to have a reference point (or several) when working on a project. Wahoo! I cannot believe how quickly that material arrived.

Well, maybe a bit of sorting of materials and some reading and TV staring!! Best wishes all.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Spent 2 whole hours in the compression boots today and I think some of the swelling in my legs has gone down a bit! Our dinner was a buffet at noon since there will be a special dinner held to honor those in our culinary staff who have been with Edgewater Pointe more than 15 years. Our administrative staff will wait on them! We had our support group this afternoon, and believe it or not, I brought up that couples group, and received much sage advice and support from most of the group. Only my closest friends insist they are joining just to see what it's about. Our chaplain was present when it was first brought up and his reaction was exactly the same as mine: insensitive and divisive! It appears a number of objections have been brought before our supervisor. I'll keep you posted!
    I just saw where the new tax code will raise taxes for those between $10,000 and $75,000 income per year.. It will save the 1% (the president included) over 1 billion dollars! I'm with you, LIN, scared about the future of this coup! Meantime, I must get to bed so I can rise early for a meeting to learn how I can help our Florida organization to save senior Continuing Care Communities from being a source of income from a totally gerrymandered state congress. Florida wants to place a tax on our services and meals! This will be a real problem.
    <3 Buzz
    ...........................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About to Happen!......................
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    It's a beautiful day and my morning is almost over so I won't be long here. Yesterday I had an appointment with my dentist for a check up so off to my nearest city Plymouth and afterwards I drove on to a clothing and houseware outlet where I managed to spend too much money! Swimming was on the cards for this morning but in the night I had terrible cramps and upset stomach so although things have settled down somewhat I didn't think a swimming pool would be the best place for me. George and I wandered across a lower area of moors just a couple of minutes from home and because Scruff wasn't with us he was able to run and run without being barked at so had a great time. Mint tea is all I'm drinking this morning in the hopes it settles the cramps then a potter in my garden in the sunshine. A letter confirming my planning application has been approved arrived so now it's back to the building company who will visit to double check what's needed and give me a start date..... finally!

I'm following a tv documentary series called Trump: The American Dream in which descriptions like ice flowing in his blood or dead eyes from those who used to work for him say an awful lot. So does his history of avoiding corporate taxes, hurling insults at anyone who stands up to him and so much more! I feel for all my MFP friends in the States but then I have to deal with the ever decreasing Brexit negotiations in the UK which believe me is mind numbing!!

Happy Friday. Oh yes, I weighed myself and haven't moved an ounce in the past week!

Jackie
  • jacean2017
    Options
    BUZZ, when I was 25 with a brand new premature baby, I left my lifelong village and old friends to live in the midlands of the UK. We bought a house in a new community. I was pretty isolated at first. Just starting to make new friends when a woman on the street decided to start a club. My husband was told by her husband that it was to be a club only for people who had attended university. I had a cat-in-hells chance of going to the college of art in my home city although I had been recommended. So for four months I sat in my wee bungalow with my little premmie and watched my new friends and a chosen few troop into the house opposite. Guess what, within a few months it folded. "Boring" said two of the group who carried on to be my closest friends. I suspect your couples club will go the same way. As JACKIE said earlier, what on earth will they do, sit and look at each other?

Grocery shop day for us. I received my first Christmas card from the UK yesterday. It was from Wendy an old friend from my very first job at 15 years of age. We laughed together for 10 glorious years and then went our separate ways with marriage, moves, and babies, but we've never lost touch. Judging by her letter she hasn't changed much at 83! She was and I'm sure still is, the prettiest girl I have ever met.

Anne.
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Hi JACKIE, you beat me to it. Sorry to read about the tummy cramps, GET WELL, SOON. Great news about the start date. Keep a close watch on the crew though, and all of the time. When we lived in Derbyshire and did an extension, the wrong coloured bricks arrived. Yellow, and our bungalow was red bricks!
    The documentary sounds interesting to match the interesting times we live in. Wish we could get it.
    Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    What can I add to JACKIE's description of the documentary? This so-called man is tearing our country apart, and I'm not sure if it's deliberate or just the fact that he follows anyone who compliments him! I do believe this Bannon fellow from Breitbart has a huge influence on him, and manipulates him,(with flattery), and does our president even know what the KKK is, or anything about the history of The America First group? I think all he understands is flattery, entertainment, and how to
    people out of money and now, with his wonderful new tax plan, save himself billions (if it's really true he has them!) while getting more from the middle class. And they voted for him :'( ... The rest of us feel so helpless, because our Congress is so afraid to face his wrath! It's easier to have to deal with angry seniors who are getting the brunt of the cuts in care and taxes added, instead of those who will now be able to add another yacht to their collection! TRUMP has probably never paid taxes, and he brags about it!
    And he has the nerve to say "--- Bless America" at the end of every speech! I don't believe he even understands what that would mean! You can see I'm livid today! (The elephant shootings really got to me!!!)
    ANNE, I think you are right about the ultimate end of this couples' club. My objection is that it is discriminatory, and we supposedly avoid that! It' going down a path I hate to see: one we have avoided here, where we cherished the one big family feeling! It's a bit complicated , but we are getting a large group from the surrounding community who seem to have different "ideals", and it seems to be changing things around here! I guess that's life!
    Tonight I shall be happy to continue watching "The Crown".
    My scale read -3# this morning, and my legs were much smaller than they've been for about a week! Yes, the weather is much less humid today and I believe barometric pressure has much to do with my holding water! I must try to drink more, also!
    I have to design those posters now, as they are wanted for Monday.
    dz7ddm1cn8rz.png
    <3 Buzz
    ...........................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About to Happen!......................
  • oystereyes
    Options
    Busy weekend coming up! Nothing really exciting but I am getting ready for our thanksgiving. I am looking forward to a low key but sweet get gather with our kids. John's reflux condition will require caution when it comes to our menu. Easy prep! Yea!

There is a new Christmas animated movie out that might be good. It is called Star! Should be fun to check that out. I have to confess that writing children's stories has me thinking and acting pretty much like a third grader. We are now in the season that I get to read holiday stories to the kindergarten. It is tricky however. We have to avoid stories with any religious content. There is a whole PC aspect to the story choices. I have been dismayed at times but I am trying to see the reason behind the regulations. The kids bring such interesting diversity into the classroom. Each family has a different take on thanksgiving and Christmas. There are so many kids in our school district living in poverty. It is possible to identify children who need a bit of help just by listening and watching them. We have to go through the appropriate channels to offer aide and assistance.

My amaryllis is very slow in developing. I thought I would see more green sprouts by now. I have a pot filled with dirt and a big brown bulb sitting there half way covered with the dirt. No action! What's the deal? I will give it a bit more time before I ditch the whole ugly little experiment. My avocado seed is showing more action. It is in water sitting in a fruit jar. Okay! I am not a gardener even with house plants. But I have no fear. I try everything with only limited success however.
    Patsy