Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Good grief! We have really nasty weather. Torrents of cold rain and gusts of high wind. It is one of our very best winter storms. There is no space between the rain drops. I hope this clears up soon. It is sort of scary. If only some of this rain could be sent to california. The weather has truly gone crazy.

Anne: it is very sad when a couple decides to end life on their own terms for what ever reason. We had that happen a few years ago. A dear classical violinist and her partner chose to depart. They called and we chatted. I never suspected they were saying goodbye. I always felt a bit angry at their decision. I wanted them to hang around a lot longer. We learned later that they belonged to a group called the hemlock,society. It is a group advocating assisted suicide. Our friend had debilitating arthritis and playing the violin was awkward and painful.

Jackie: so many of our Christmas traditions started in England. We have then taken them and added a bit from other cultures. It is our old background of the melting pot culture. How great is that?

Buzz: one word of advice...APPLE! You can never go wrong with them. I love mine and I can't use anything else. John uses a PC of some kind. Aaaaaargh! I never even put a finger on it. Computers are like toothbrushes, we have a favorite and can only use that brand and NEVER anyone else's'.

Lin: I had one of those Chinese checkers boards in my childhood. What fun to come up with such a great artifact. I would hang it in my TV room. An artful cultural decor from the past.

I must check to see if we sprung any leaks. This storm is vicious.
    Patsy

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,201 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Good afternoon. Getting packed up. A few of us are getting together to color for a few hours tonight at yet another library. I would imagine there will be lots of chatter. I think it will be enjoyable.

I just got off the phone with my increasingly addled friend. She doesn’t remember seeing or talking to me lately. She keeps talking about purchasing gift cards for her grandchildren and great-grandchildren but does nothing. Once again, she doesn’t remember I gave her a gift on Sunday. Well, I am not going to try again. Everything seems to be fairly muddled together in her mind now.

I love my colorful Chinese checker board. No marbles but that doesn’t bother me at all. I had a metallic set when I was a child, Chinese checkers on one side, traditional checkers on the other. The metal box opened and marbles and checkers were stored inside.

Patsy, I am sorry the storms are so fierce. I hope there are no leaks or any type of damage to your house. And I hope the front will move on by you soon.

Sandy, yes, recharge your batteries when you can. Your schedule is usually quite full these days. Sorry Bryanna has such a bad work schedule. I hope it doesn’t bother her too much.

Buzz, I think I would give up on the upgrade of Windows 10. It has caused you much too much stress and strain, not to mention hours of lost sleep. I will say that Apple operating systems have never caused me as much grief as the everyday world of Windows. Unfortunately I am not a master of accomplishing things on a Mac or iPad.

Anne, I have heard some vague stories related to mirrors but I have never been spooked by sleeping around mirrors. Now I will try to stay away from finding out more! I have read a number of news stories about the suspicious deaths in Toronto. The authorities don’t seem to be releasing much information. Very puzzling.

Jackie, I too would like to know the secret of stopping rude and pushy shoppers. They abound this time of year but they are always with us.

I went to the door to see if my trash had been picked up and I saw a neighbor walking the teeniest little puppy ever on a heavy leash. The poor little thing could barely walk around dragging that thing along. Now I wonder if he and his wife finally, after many years, got a puppy. They were grief-stricken when they lost their old dog.

I am reading the book club selection. Slow start but I am picking up speed now. “The Snow Child” by Eowyn Ivey. I am sure it is not a—they lived happily ever after—type of ending coming.

Take care everyone.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Well, after a couple of really long naps, I finally have located Belarc Advisor and ccleaner again, and printed up everything I need to set up a new Windows. Start all over fresh. nd the first thing was to record my password to reach all of you! Thursday will be a mess because that's when I'm re-setting my Windows. I agree with you Apple gals, but I don't know that I could learn their IOS all over again! My iPad drives me nuts because I never understand what it's asking me to do! I use Facetime but don't ask me how I get to whomever I'm looking for. I'm satisfied that I've done all I can to prepare and am recovered from the shock, and when 10 is installed on Thursday, it will include the newest version. ANd I'll be back in your world soon, lol!
    <3 Buzz :s

........................Always imagine something wonderful is about to happen!...................
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I had a disturbing dream last night. It involved my lovely DIL. The outcome, I've text her to offer to cook Mikes giant turkey and the rest of the dinner on Christmas Day over here. All unfounded fears of course, but dreams do leave a bit of a residue. I think I will be declined however after last year's event when I dropped the turkey into the kitchen sink it being next to the oven and the turkey which resembled a teenage ostrich being a teensy weensy bit too heavy for my badly set from breakage wrist. Made for a good memory to laugh over but panic mode on The Day.

So....I am debating whether to put up a tree or not to make us look festive. Michael does not want me to put up a tree. The culprit young Jilly Bean who loves to play with anything that rolls or is stuffed. He's worried about a broken glass ball finding it's way into Jilly's tum and us finding our way to the vets emergency service, maybe I should stick to a wreath (I have a gorgeous one, all bells and copper cut out animals, and ribbons) and hang a few balls from the wrought iron overhead light fittings. Decisions, decisions.

BUZZ, I have an old Dell computer that I love, but I love my Apple iPad even more! It's so EASY to use! Believe me if a twit like me can figure it out anyone can. I still use the old Dell for letter writing and recipes, and story writing etc but for access to the internet give me the iPad every time.

It was so balmy yesterday it felt like spring and the snow melted away. Today we are back into winter and of course all the 5 bones I broke in the past are telling me this is so. Maybe I should offer my services to the weather channel because the old bones are pretty accurate.

Well I'm off, and I think I'll stick to baubles and Ivy and holly on the chandeliers.
    Christmassy hugs to all,
    Jingle bells Annie.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Off to Tai Chi in a couple of minutes.

Buzz, glad you are taking naps. Hope all goes well the remainder of the week. I wish I had been raised on Mac. :D I am from the world of DOS for goodness sakes. I thought Windows was a marvel!

Anne, I would go for the lovely wreath and skip the tree this year as Jilly is a bit over enthusiastic. Several friends have skipped a tree once in a while due to cat problems. Shake off the nightmare. Happy Yuletide.

Gotta run.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) Got up at 7:00 AM which is early for me so I can get to the boys by 8:30. After I am done sitting I have a few errands to run and I have decided to stay home from bingo tonight as my friend is in Las Vegas with her 21 year old granddaughter. I am a Survivor fan and tonight is the finale so I would rather watch that then spend more money. Which reminds me I better defrost something for dinner.

Anne, I agree with your decision, stick to the baubles and ivy, why tempt Jilly?

Will try to get back later but enjoy your day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacean2017
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the good advice. Jilly is more important than a tree.

Meant to comment on pushy impatient people putting dividers down before ones finished putting ones groceries on the moving counter. Yes it happens to me fairly regularly. Me being somewhat slow. I find smiling sweetly and saying in a loud voice "hold your horses darling, I haven't put all my stuff out yet" works like a charm. You usually get a mumbled, "oh sorry". If I'm feeling really wicked an added "are you in a rush for an appointment?" Said concernedly of course. Even better "do you need to use the washroom?"

Anne, full of goodwill to all men.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    We are surrounded by fog and very damp air so it was an ideal morning to spend with friends over coffee and cake catching up with news. George got as messy as ever on our walk so when we went to Scruff's on our way to coffee I used her garage sink to stand him in and wash his lower half so he looks a lot better but sitting on everyone's lap during coffee he left damp patches everywhere and lots of vocal complaints! We did laugh though. When I got home I checked the hens were alright but was shocked to see the bees are buzzing outside their hive as if it was a summer's day so goodness knows what they are up to. Yesterday I checked the weight of the hive to ensure they still had stores to feed on and it was heavy so they shouldn't be starving and I'm hoping they will settle before the tree surgeon visits on Saturday morning to remove the Magnolia otherwise they could get cross at the noise of a chainsaw!!
    My usual look that I give those who try to push past or rush me is no secret. The trick is not to ever show you're cross or speak at all but instead raise an eyebrow and look whoever straight in the eyes with an expression that says what on earth are you doing? The response is a backtrack every time!
    Knowing Brady would immediately do his best to climb a Christmas tree and kill any bauble I chose one that is barely 18" high, has cones and sparkle attached as well as tiny battery operated LED lights and so far the monster boy hasn't noticed.... there's still time!!
    I'm relieved to read Buzz finally got a decent amount of sleep in spite of the Windows 10 continuing trauma but I'd say if it refuses to download again leave your computer on the version it's working with.
    A friend of mine is showing increasing signs of frightening memory loss and dementia and I do worry for her as she's quite vulnerable and not living in the nicest part of town so could easily be preyed upon. The trouble is, as Lin has discovered, it's nigh on impossible to get across to someone this is happening..... there but for the grace of God!
    A melting pot is the perfect description of society today Patsy but I do believe if every faith could be openly celebrated without fear of insulting another there would be more harmony and they wouldn't get so watered down for PC reasons. I know, dream on!!

It's gone 3pm and apart from putting George's muddy towels in for a wash and cooking myself an egg and couple of rashers of bacon on a crumpet for lunch nothing else has been achieved so I think I will light the fire and at least get the washing up cleared!

Jackie

• pinkperil
    Options
    P.S I forgot to ask is Patsy still with us after the rain of all rains pouring down?

Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Options
    My £8 dress arrived and is nicer than I imagined plus what didn't show up in the ebay photo was the squared neckline so I don't have to worry about my dignity!! A fancy belt might improve the look but certainly under a jacket those potatoes will be disguised! LOL
    1woje8fuv04k.jpg

Jackie
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Very nice JACKIE. I had a feeling it would fit to the curves nicely. Look lovely over Christmas, oh and your tree is cute. Anne.
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! That naughty John is sleeping in again. I know he was up very late reading a novel he just couldn't seem to put down. That means Katie and I should try to be a quiet as possible. Not easy. I have to have my music going! Katie must comment on everything going on in the neighborhood. Yet John is able to continue his sleep. He sleeps like a teenager.

We survived the storm. The skylights are to be replaced as soon as weather permits. This was discovered several weeks ago. We have a small leak in the corner of both of them. This storm just reminded us...don't forget to attend to this repair. Katie is such a wimp, she uses her pee papers instead of going out in the rain to do her business. This is an annoyance but tolerable.

We have the large tree but only nonbreakable baubles down low. Katie is content to chew on our socks and underwear. If she could figure out how, she would empty the dryer and pluck out all the socks to chew on. Why bother with tree baubles? Being naughty is her specialty.

Jackie! The dress is a lovely color! You look fabulous in that dress. Knowing me, I would be looking for a pair of stunning earrings to finish the look. You are now set for an amazing dinner party onboard the cruise.

Anne, I am a total klutz! I drop things, bump into things, fall or trip on a dust particle. John never allows me to climb on a stool or ladder. I go down the stairs like a little child, one at a time. I never carry heavy things. He bought me a cart that looks like a heavy duty tea cart. I move things about on that. Accommodating arthritis can be very frustrating. I confess that the event you and Jackie discribe would not have bothered me. I would be looking at the items the young woman had chosen, nosey and curious me. I guess in my case...who is the most rude, her or me?

A friend sent these quotes in his Christmas card,
    Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
    The day comes when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom.
    I love these quotes. They speak to me.
    Patsy

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,004 Member
    Options
    t09166.gif
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    JACKIE, your 8# dress looks great on a very elegant lady! What a buy! (My computer does not have a pound sign!).... I've decided to copy everything possible, and once Windows is reset, I will manage to download what I want and discard those programs I used only once and never again! I managed to reload Belarc and it gives me a complete picture of all my programs and the way either I or my computer uses them! As much as I admire it, I am deleting Mozilla and everything connected to it, since I never used it! I'll try to pare down to simplicity!
    ANNE, I, too, vote for wreath, and let the kids make the turkey!!! ANd enjoy the merriment!
    SANDY, Its kind of comforting to just stay home occasionally, and watch the world go by! More restful,, which appeals to me right now.
    LIN, What was DOS? I just bumble along and hope for the best; win a few. lose a few!
    BARBIE, what a welcome surprise! Hope you are feeling excellent again! Wishing the best to you and JAKE!

Just in case I can't use my faithful dear DELL I'll wish you all Merry splendid, healthy and wonderful Christmas and very healthy Happy New Year! Mele Kalikimaka, Hau'oli makahiki hou.....
    bxbkm6t9c842.png
    and a
    kjznbtqoq2d5.png
    <3 Buzz :|o:)
    <3 ....................Always believe something wonderful o:) is about to happen!...................... <3
  • jacean2017
    Options
    But PATSY, if you were interestedly looking at the groceries the young woman was loading on your space and immediately behind the few that you had already placed but you still had more to check out how would you have put the rest of your groceries out with no space left? Just handed them one by one to the cashier directly? Or pay up for the few you'd managed to load, and then go behind her again in line for the rest?
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Back home with a couple of comments. First Hi to Barbie, hope all is well with you and Jake.
    Second to Jackie, that is what I meant when I said it had a dicky to cover your modesty. I saw it right away and knew it would be perfect for you. Thanks for sharing the photo and by the way, I don't think a jacket is necessary unless you get cold. And last but not least, Anne I think Patsy would just push back the divider bar and continue to add her own groceries.

Will be back in the morning.
    Sandy
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Of course. Guess you are right SANDY, lol. Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi Barbie!! Best wishes for you and Jake. Thanks for your post. Cute!

Buzz, I really hope your computer will be okay. DOS was back when you typed in commands from the drive prompt.

C:> cd D

Some madeup stuff as I do not remember much these days. That was too long ago and if I include the other symbols I end up with a smiling or frowning face.

Jackie, the dress looks very nice. I think you are all set, nothing else needed.

Anne, there is another tiny dog that I will see time to time. My neighbor stopped me as I was leaving this morning. They do have a new puppy. It is tiny and wiggly and crazy. He was carrying it today but the little thing does not have a coat or sweater. He thinks she is too small right now. A whopping two pounds apparently. I thought she was smaller than that. I asked her age but he didn’t hear me. I don’t know how they are spelling the name but it sounded like Em.

Sandy, staying home is a good option. Enjoying the television program? I am watching “The Librarians” as my Sling TV is working on my Romulo tonight. At least so far.

Patsy, sometimes putting a booking down is very difficult. I can see why John might like to sleep in. May Katie enjoy the socks in good health.

I plan to meet friends tomorrow morning BUT freezing drizzle is expected tonight so plans may change. Another friend got in touch and we are to meet on Friday morning. But everything is subject to weather!

Take care everyone.

Hugs.

Lin

• Sandydur
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) The cocktail meatballs are in the crock pot for our Christmas Party at my meeting today. I am hoping I can get my nails done after the meeting although they are so bad I am not sure they can help them. I love Christmas but at the same time I can't wait for it to be over, such a busy and stressful time of year. I ordered something in November for the kids but it still hasn't arrived, needless to say it is coming from China. I emailed the lady and told her if I didn't get it by Christmas I was notifying my credit card and she said no please don't, we are not scam, you will get it. It is looking doubtful and although it is only $35 you can bet I will dispute this charge. Now I have to find something else for Robby and his cousin to open on Christmas Eve.

Lin, I did indeed enjoy Survivor and was happy my guy won the million. The little dog sounds darling and if you heard right, Em is a cute name. I sometimes wish my landlady would let me have a pet, maybe a kitten but then again I am gone so much it wouldn't be fair to any animal.
    I am content with visiting Daisy and maybe one of these days I will try to keep her overnight.

Time again is getting away from me, have a wonderful day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Snow about to arrive, Anne.