Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Happy new year, dear sneakers. I will be up to my elbows in dog hair today. John and I are doing a quick dog grooming for sweet Katie. All of the running around in the rain and toweling off has knitted that labradoodle fur into dread locks. It must be done. Getting a furry dog comes with a commitment to groom when needed...even on New Year's Eve.

Soup is made, a bit of cheese and crackers with a glass of wine. My New Years feast! Our neighbors love to shoot off fireworks. We will try to enjoy their display. We will watch the big ball drop on TV, always fun.

For us here, 2017 was okay...good but worrisome. Our political situation is scary. The more we learn the more uncomfortable we feel. But as all of you very wise and smart sneakers have advised, we must make our own luck, our own homegrown happiness.

We grew up knowing that special foods on New Year's Day was lucky. Because I am southern, all good luck hinged on the eating of black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. John's family required sauerkraut. Hummmm...that would be quite a menu. Peas and sauerkraut! Not sure I can pull that off.
    Yea hooray! Happy new year! SMACK!
  • oystereyes
    Not sure what happened to the rest of my post...
    All my love and friendship, many thanks for your friendship this year.
    Patsy
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,363 Member
    So wonderful to hear from so many of the Sneakers. I send all love and sincere wishes for a happy life to each of you. All of your plans for New Years Eve and New Years Day are lovely as well. I have been past the desire to attend crazy parties and associated over-indulging for quite a number of years. Decades I think! I will be home and may not even go to the store for a newspaper today. Tomorrow I will make a new pot of soup.

Jeri, you are a doll to host all the family while trying to overcome an illness. They are so lucky to have you. Enjoy your time together.

Sandy, I hope you are on the mend now. Staying home isn’t a bad thing although I know you like to see Daisy and Babe. There are very few churches having services here. More than 300 have cancelled. I think only the local mega-church keeps saying they will have all the usual services and a New Years Eve service as well. My vehicles are too old to consider these things.

Anne, so happy your family all joined in to devour the ostrich! Haaa. I have visions of a huge turkey that would barely fit in the oven. Perhaps that is accurate. Lucky Jilly to garner such bounty after watching that oven for so long. Whatever you do with the leftovers will be delicious I have no doubt. Enjoy the wee thimble full of Port.

Patsy, Katie will be looking wonderful for ushering in 2018! Lucky dog to have such loving people caring for her. Enjoy the ball dropping this evening.

Jackie, so George has his own zen state. I have been imagining that and it makes me smile. Glad you have provisions in house. I had been thinking of black-eyed peas but although I seem to have almost everything in my basement shelving, no black-eyed peas. Either split pea soup or vegetable soup with rice. I am guessing vegetable will win.

Buzz, happy New Year to you as well. You are living in a very good place! No sub zero temperatures and no snow. I hope that translates to fewer worries overall. Are you doing FaceTime with family this weekend?

I have more interesting things to do than I can get to! Now to finish my coffee, grab a bite to eat and get back to all the things I want to do.

Hugs as always.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    edited December 2017
    Happy Sunday! :) I did go to mass and stop at Babe's for my check. I made a frozen pizza and listened to him complain about everyone and everything. His son is home from the hospital with no mention of rehab and immediately went back to smoking. Babe and Phil's wife have no idea about the disease of alcoholism and neither would consider Al Anon so they just don't get it. I do wish Phil would go for help but it out of anyone's control which is hard for them to accept.

By the way, my son's wife is also in recovery and has been sober 7 years so I am proud of both of them. They met at a meeting and although that is not a good idea for them it worked.
    And to add even more I have a grandson who is also in recovery from a heroin
    addiction and is doing wonderful and has turned his life around to helping others.
    I am not betraying their trust as they are open about their addictions and proud of their recoveries.

Lin, I am very content with staying in and watching the ball drop on my TV. My partying days are over and although they were fun when I was young, home is the most comfortable these days.

Patsy, I had some good times in 2017 and some bad times so I always look forward to the next year but each year comes faster than the next at my age. I remember as a kid when they talked about the year 2000 and how everything would be like the Jetson's and here we are in the year 2018 and technology has really taken over the world.

Anne, I am so happy your turkey dinner turned out well and you had a wonderful time with your family. Jilly was content and had a full belly so she must have been one happy pup.
    Nice to hear 2017 treated you well and was one of your happiest years.

Jackie, Phil is just home, I don't think the doctors convinced him to go to rehab but would love to be proven wrong. I am not going to the birthday party for the twins, I just want to stay in and stay warm today. I will try to remember at 6:00 pm my time to raise a glass and toast to you for a very Happy New Year.

Jeri, you are like superwoman, still a little sick but planning a big dinner with family. Enjoy your time with your family, a great way to start the New Year.

Buzz, to tell the truth I was in denial about my son and his problems, he came to me and said he was going for recovery because he was afraid of dying. All the credit goes to him and his boss who was in recovery and told my son he needed help. That boss probably saved my son's life. Funny, he went to Jacksonville for recovery and all these years later his sister has moved there.

Marie, if you check in here, we miss you and love you and thank you for starting this forum.
    I hope you have a wonderful New Year with Jerry!!

I would also like to thank all of the sneakers for always being there for me, never judging, always listening and for being the best friends anyone could have. I use this forum a lot to vent and I know it probably gets tiresome for you, but know that without you I would be lost.

851814rm82k14a1z.gif

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    edited December 2017
    Oh SANDY, you never seem to vent! You re open and honest and refreshing and we love you dearly! You have no idea how important your spreading Al Anon information is. Our 35 year old grandson would still be alive had he or his parents listened to my suggestions about what I learned from you. For those to whom the future is too grim to face, suicide becomes the alternative, and now my stepdaughter and her husband must live with that for the rest of their lives! You have done wonders for many! May you all have a splendid New Year!
    JACKIE, I'm glad that storm missed you so could cook up a storm for George. Warming Oceans? Not good news. Yet a poll done today showed that despite mounting concern regarding worldly matters, Orange Top would probably win if an election were held tomorrow! SO...............Happy healthy etc for you and your "family"!
    PATSY, I'm right there beside you, worrying about our future if fewer and fewer people get involved! Sometimes doing nothing is all it takes for the scary groups to take over Let us all hope and pray for a return to common sense and a sensible turn around in 2018. Can it really be that far into the 21st Century already?! Concerning Katie, having bred and raised and groomed poodles for many years, if she in fact has poodle fur, I can only tell you I had special wire brushes with kind of a V shape to each bristle which I used with kind of a flick of the wrist, every single day, in order to avoid the knotty mess that comes about when allowed to go much longer. As long as you don't touch her skin with the wire, she will learn to love the attention (and quiet time together) that a daily brushing brings, to say nothing of a glistening coat! Wishing you and the family a healthy New Year, too!
    LIN, May you discover yet more unsuspected talents and have a wonderful year with your many friends and acquaintances, and a very healthy New Year to boot!
    ANNE, a joyful 2018 to you and the Bean, and continue finding happiness in all you do! The family, your home and your garden provide much pleasure and may it continue for an even better year! You impart to all of us such a positive attitude so thank you!
    JERI, sometimes I think we share many snags, but I wish I had your tolerances and shared pleasures of family, despite your own needs! I wish you super health for the coming years and many years to follow so you can spread your cheer with all of us who love you! The best to you and your entire family! And keep up those 10,000 steps!
    MARIE, I can't believe you are not here on the New Year; you are simply hiding! Li'l Sis, a big hug and best wishes
    to you and Jerry, and do let us know how you are doing, dear.
    And to all those friends who peek in now and then, BARBIE, CONNIE,MADDIE, MAUI SUE and everyone we've shared time with along this path, I wish you all wonderful memories and better yet to come in 2018!
    u8coqrlbxu4q.png

<3 Buzz
    ............................... Always believe something wonderful is about to happen! ..........................................
  • delraybuzz
    edited December 2017
    hekdnrwbxu7l.png

• delraybuzz
    How come my "animations" didn't animate? :'(
  • jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Wonderful inspiring messages today! How lovely! I'm just taking a break from mince pie baking and had to take a peek.
    Thanks for the messages of hope, of love, and the overcoming of great difficulties.

Mike will soon be here to help me polish off the turkey, although that will take a bit of doing despite Jilly's help.
    I'm sort of looking forward to late evening with a sleeping pup. I can't go to bed because I know the family will phone soon after midnight when all the toasting and kissing, and auld Lang syne singing is sung at whatever home they are visiting.

Anne.
  • Sandydur
    delraybuzz wrote: »
    How come my "animations" didn't animate? :'(

Did you use glitter graphics Buzz?
  • oystereyes
    Happy new year, dear friends!
    Patsy
  • jacean2017
    HAPPY 2018. I've just staggered through to the kitchen!
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Here we go, the beginning of a new year and I hope everyone had a lovely evening. Just about managed to stay awake for the fireworks and I thought London had their best ever display celebrating 100 years since we women got the vote..... all amazingly pretty! What does 2018 hold for us I wonder? I've a feeling it's going to be interesting! B)
    The builders arrive tomorrow and I'm still clearing the old conservatory out and moving potted plants to safety. Much more crammed into my dining room and I won't be able to swing any of my cats and it's definitely a case of meals on a tray for a few weeks..... getting fidgety at the thought already!!

Back to it.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    854277pwel8x81ff.gif

Too cold for penguins to be out.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Happy New Year! :) I did stay up to see both New York and Chicago bring in the New Year! I have a dandy cold that seems to now be in my head and sinus'. I am taking some DayQuil but almost out so I am hoping Bryanna will come later and go to the store for me. It is minus 6 degrees so I would prefer not to have to go out in the cold. I do hope you all had a wonderful New Year's Eve and wish nothing but the best for you this year!

Jackie, let the fun begin tomorrow, but it will be worth it once it is done. I can hardly wait to see the pictures. It should be an interesting year, who knows what the future holds in store for us.

Anne, I hope you enjoyed bringing in the New Year with Jilly at your side.

Patsy, same for you, except John and Katie at your side.

Lin, too cold for anyone to be out, this is some winter!

Buzz, I hope your celebrations were wonderful!!

Jeri, enjoy your day with the family today but don't overdo.

ao94dtyrhgyj.png

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • oystereyes
    Hello 2018! I want to think this will be a grand year. One thing that we should all be glad of is the interesting and diverse life we can and should have. I sometimes forget that. Challenges let us know we are alive. We saw an old favorite movie before the big midnight fireworks started in our neighborhood. It is called Quartet, with Maggie Smith. It is an adorable life affirming movie.

A bit of champagne, cheese and crackers, a sliced pear, and veggie soup. Then chocolates and a slice of pecan pie with champagne at midnight. I didn't exactly over do...but very close!!!! A fun evening to bring in the new year.

We did get Katie groomed but I see some little tufts that have reappeared. She will be very reluctant to cooperate as usual. She was a good girl. Clean up wasn't too bad. This is a monthly thing for us. First of the month Katie always has an appointment at Patsy's Doggie D'Lovely Salon!

Getting my new rug for the dungeon. Yea! John said he will work on the fitting so all will be GOOD! I was trying to send pictures of this rug because it is rather wild. There are people who say..."this is perfect for you Mom. Off the wall and totally nutty. Who chooses a rug that looks like someone spilled paint on it?" I am not sure how to send a picture from amazon to the sneakers.

2018, not a prime number so it has room for negotiation and change.
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    edited January 2018
    You are so right, SANDY, I used a different site! So here we go...
    2633939kf1dz42r3a.gif
    Our lobster was fabulous for the 1st time,...I managed to remain sort of awake till midnight; today's buffet was my favorite: waffles and an everything omelette, followed by watching the movie, Dunkirk :'( ... how DO people survive the horrors of war? My confusion during this vivid picture simply mirrored that of the armed forces who went through it! You'll need a strong stomach for this one.
    I would love to comment to each of you wonderful friends but I must get down for tonight's film on the last days of the British control in India. My, what changes we have all seen in world history!
    <3 Buzz
    ............................... Always believe something wonderful is about to happen! .........................................
  • linder4866
    Good evening. I did quite a bit of cooking today and I finally read the new Jack Reacher novel. A couple of days and a couple of books. My group wants to play Mah Jongg tomorrow morning. I said probably if my garage door and my car cooperate. All activities at the senior center are cancelled tomorrow morning until 10am due to extreme weather conditions.

A very cold way to start the year.

So lovely to read about everyone’s activities and festivities.

Marie, how are you?

Hugs.

Lin
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,318 Member
    Happy New Year to my Good Friends

We had a wonderful day with family. Dinner turned out wonderful and everyone loved it. Poor Maggie who is 18 months old wasn’t feeling the best but still charmed us all. I was so busy I forgot to take pictures. Rats. All the other kids were great and I love them all so much.

Sandy - I think we are one big family. I agree with you about the good friendships we have. What a terrific group. Too bad you are sick, I can’t get rid of my cold. It keeps hanging on.

Buzz - thank you my dear for your very kind words. You are so nice. I am first and foremost a family person. Always have been, always will be. That’s what my parents taught me. And I think of you and all the other Sneakers as close family. As for my 10,000 steps I am dedicated to do that too. That’s a priority as well. I’m listening to a great book. By Andrew Wiel and Mark Fenton about walking. Really motivational.

Jackie - Ed and I managed to stay up to watch the local festivities on tv last night. A lot were cancelled because of the extreme cold. The London fireworks sounded great. Good luck with your builders.

Lin - thanks for the kind words. I just finished my new Michael Connelly novel that I got for Christmas. I’ll be looking for the new Jack Reacher soon as well. Love to read especially when it is do cold out.

Anne - it sounded like you had a great day too.

Patsy - your New Years Eve sounded terrific. Ed and I bought lobster and really enjoyed them. Then a nice evening talking and relaxing.

I hope I got everyone. Sounds like we all had a good time.

Cheers

Jeri
  • jacean2017
    Hello everyone. We all made it to January 2nd after what seems to have been a very good festive season for us all. Today I tighten my belt! Too much turkey, too much stuffing, too much Christmas cake, too much trifle and consequently too much on my middle. Never mind it was fun!!! Michael trotted off with the last of the turkey for work sandwiches and Mark and Mary Jo went to yoga and the gym. I'm old so I get to stay home and view the half empty fridge. Hmm. Might be a good time to clean it AND the oven.

I received a book at Christmas but not exactly what I was expecting judging by the title so I put it down last evening and enjoyed the annual Royal Variety Show instead.

Anyone made any New Year resolutions?

Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    The builders are here, two very nice chaps, and George is barking, barking, barking...... Our weather was so awful first thing I put off taking him out with Scruff and mum and our plan for her to take him back home as I thought he might be ok once he met the builders. No chance but now they've boarded up the door that would otherwise be exposed to the elements once the old conservatory is down at least he's not reacting to every little movement. There's another Atlantic storm on her way, this time Eleanor, so not sure how much will be achieved in the next few days but hey ho, such is life! Last night I decided to watch the James Bond movie Spectre but found it such a drag I switched halfway to a documentary about a wonderful sanctuary for chimpanzees that are being released from years of laboratory experiments. Now that was uplifting and when I returned to the last hour of Spectre didn't think I'd missed anything important in the middle but did come to the conclusion most creatures are far more forgiving than us humans!!

Buzz ~ Love the jazzy graphic! If I lived in your community I'd think I'd died and gone to Heaven surrounded by all that delicious food but at least I'm not short of eggs to make an omelette and you've now put it in my head for lunch! Having recently watched an informative documentary about WWII D Day I think the allies were incredibly lucky, and there's no other word for it, to have won because it seems even the most finite decision could have ended in disaster much like Dunkirk. We don't know the half of what they all went through. The British in India, now there's another era full of horror stories!!

Sandy ~ Your family has obviously been through a lot over the years dealing with addictions and I always admire anyone who manages to pull themselves out of the abyss so you have every right to be very proud of them. I always say there but for the grace of God!!

Lin ~ Oh dear, still frozen in, that's not good! Stay in cosy and warm, that's the best idea.

Jeri ~ A wonderful New Year's celebration for you all but sorry to read little Maggie still has health issues. So if lobster is a tradition then I'm going to take it up next New Year.... just give me the nod!! LOL

I won't turn the page back in case I lose this so will just wish Anne, Patsy and anyone else popping in a good day whatever you're up to. George has exhausted himself for now so I'll check to see if the washed kitchen floor is dry before making that omelette!
    Jackie