Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Jeri, I hope your sister will be ok. Hopefully she just needs some time to herself without advice, you know?
    Have a great week, and please drive safely if you must drive. and stay warm!! this is the time of year when I think about dear Judy in New Zealand!

Phoebe
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Morning,

I will catch up later, boat show today in Toronto.

Boat show, cocktail party at 5:30pm, dinner out. I will really have to watch the calories.
    I lost 3.2 lbs this week I don't want to mess that up.

Shirley
    Ontario, Canada

10F partly cloudy and windy.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,123 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!! :D Last night I met friends for a fish fry, I had baked catfish which I have never tried and it was really good. They also had karaoke and I embarrassed myself by singing a few songs with others. If you ever heard me sing you would understand. lol
    It is still cold but tomorrow it should be warmer, so I might go to church tomorrow instead of today. Babe is at the dentist so it depends on whether is planning on going this week or not, I never know.

Shirley, enjoy you day, always fun to be with friends. I know what you mean about trying to watch those calories, which is why I chose baked instead of fried fish last night.

Jeri, your sister has been through so much, maybe she should talk to a counselor. Sometimes being too close it is hard to know what to do. I am happy I had all of you when I separated from Babe.

Buzz, so glad the doctor cleared you and MIke and you can go back to enjoying all the festivities. Babe is having another foot surgery to correct the foot he messed up by shoveling snow when he shouldn't have last winter. MEN!!!

Marie, congrats to your Cowboys, it is exciting when our hometown team wins!! With the Bears being mine, there is not much to cheer about.

Lin, what a roller coaster your dad is on, no wonder he gets so moody. If you do go, please be careful, some of these roads are treacherous. Look at that 200 car pile up in Michigan yesterday. My niece was behind all of it, but what usually takes 2 hours to drive took them 9 hours yesterday. They had to find detours but at least they were safe.

Jackie, yes I know Phil is kidding himself and he knows it too, he is just trying to pacify his wife and father. Who knows where this will all end. Where did you say you were going when boarding George at a friends?

Anne, your luncheon sounds wonderful, how nice to be your son and grandson. Lucky parents to be on a cruise, can hardly wait for mine.

Phoebe, how is Honey today?

Have a great day everyone.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• BlueHarebell
    Options
    It was quite funny Sandy. My grandsons mother left him quite a few pre packaged dinners but I figured he would be running a bit short. I asked him if the fridge was bare, and he said, "well I've got a few Brussel sprouts left". Go figure, why don't the young like Brussel sprouts? I love them.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,180 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hello - packing for my trip tomorrow. I'll have everything imaginable with me so I hope it will be a good and uneventful trip.

Jeri - I feel so bad for your sister. I spoke to the hospice social worker yesterday and she suggested I might think about getting a counselor. I guess I am getting to be a bit too needy.... But that being said, your darling sister needs some type of life line here. Prayers for her to find it. Maybe if you were able to just be with her, no advice or suggestions, it would be helpful. Or maybe she just needs to hibernate for a while. It's tough to know what would be the most help. I know people have been telling me for years what I should be doing even when I don't ask them and your dear sister is enduring so much more. She must be hurting so badly.

Phoebe - I hope Honey is doing well today and will be fine going on trips with you and Jim. Oh and I got my tube of Un Petroleum Jelly last night. Thanks again for the tip.

Anne - I'm so glad you had a great time yesterday. A person definitely needs that from time to time.

Shirley - happy boat show to you. May you find reasonable things to eat.

Sandi - I would love to have a visit to San Diego! Enjoy your time there.

Sandy - The weather is unpredictable in the Midwest isn't it? I did speak to the nursing home this afternoon and the forecast there for tomorrow is pretty good so it seems like the day to go.

Marie - I know what you'll be doing tomorrow afternoon. I'll check in with you when I get home and maybe you'll share what happened in the game.

Gayla - greetings to you and hope you and your family are doing well. And a special prayer that Neil is doing well.

Buzz - glad you are out of self-imposed quarantine now. Yippee.

Jackie - watch out for the little presents from George. How long before your time away and George goes to the doggie sitter?

Becky - how are you this week-end? I hope there are no more unexpected events in your family and everyone has a chance to recover.

Chris - it always good to see you. How are you coming with your latest quilt??

Barbie - dancing, dancing, dancing. I read somewhere about your new dance. Congrats! Hope you and DH are healthy.

I'm so addled today I can't remember what else I was going to say other than greetings to Karen, Diane, Phyllis, Maddie, Nola and so many others I'd love to hear from. Nola never did read the message I sent her by the way.

Anyway, my dad's condition reversed today and he is unable to open his eyes, take meds, eat or speak. They will switch him to liquid meds if his condition doesn't improve in the next day or so. They have no idea if he has his hearing aids back from the audiologist but apparently it really doesn't matter at this point as they're not able to rouse him by speech, touch or anything.

Hugs to all. Back to packing all my safety gear. I know, you'd laugh if you saw me squirreling all my stuff in the vehicle.

Lin in Central Iowa where we have some sunshine today

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    judy live in a beautiful place year round. She ought to be able to keep a good sun tan.. have fun Judy. Are you all catching lobsters this time of the year.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    JERI, so sorry about yours and your sister's pain :( It is such a kick in the ego to say nothing about fear for the future to a wife when the man she trusted to be by her side walks out! It is more frequent today, and I sometimes wonder if it is laying the path to a happier future with people more mature and better suited to choosing a lifetime mate?! I think you are a dear to be a leaning post for her for whatever time you are able, because looking back, I can recall the sheer gloom, terror, fear and depression (not clinical) I experienced when I finally recognized my first husband returned from war a very different person from the man I married. I am still horrified that the general public has no idea about PTSD....or how war totally changes personality structures! Mine had been a sweet sensitive creative fellow and what returned was a psychopathic man with feelings so deeply hidden he had no feelings for himself and others except hostility! Your sister probably needs great reassurance that she is not the cause of he runaway husband's behavior! I often think about how wise our own SANDY has been taking the difficult steps she has taken while remaining so available to those who love her so much! My sister drove 250 miles in sleet and rain to be with me when I learned my second husband had an inoperable brain tumor, and I will never forget how much I needed her, though I never asked! You are a sister from heaven, JERI, and she will never forget your support! o:)
    LIN, here you are again, like a faithful pendulum! I do hop you get just rewards for what you are going through; and thank goodness you didn't drive this time! We watched all the tie-ups on TV, from huge transports colliding due to ice, and I hope you are using caution regarding going to see Dad on Sunday! You have so much to look forward to eventually, so be extra careful!
    PHOEBE, how are you doing? And JIM? I think it's been an unusual winter for the 2 of you.
    Yet you are always thinking of others!
    BARBIE, you, JAKE, and your fairy-tale lives! And fully launched on an unexpected new career at this time of your life! Amazing what determination can accomplish!
    JACKIE, Are you as serene as you appear? And thoughtful! I could just visualize you hunkering down for the evening after posting to us!
    ANNE, what a lovely addition with your positive attitudes. I trust your meal was enjoyed and appreciated by your starving lonely grandson and the good company of his uncle!
    BECKY, how are you doing? I'm sure you are the "rock" for your family right now!
    Must run out for some Glucerna for Mike, to get some of that lost weight back on him! I picked up Ensure, in error, and he's diabetic, so must make an expensive exchange! His thyroid count was also low, despite his weight loss, but since he sleeps all day, I'm hoping that's one of the "cures" for his constant tiredness. Am I grabbing at straws? My doctor reminded me several times about Mike's age and perhaps I expect too much? I guess I do, but I hate to see him so inert without trying to get him interested in life again!
    So HE lost 25 pounds in 6 months, while I lost only 4 of the 50 I gained! Not fair!
    Off to Walmart (ugh) to exchange his drink!
    <3 Buzz
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    BUZZ, I just want to say how much I enjoy your thoughtful, insightful posts. It's funny but after we emigrated my husbands personality changed too. All the family thought so, including his mother, my MIL-LIE who I thought the world of. So yes, a personality change is possible even without the trauma of war, which your husband suffered Buzz. I felt at the time of our horrible upheaval that I had to run as far away as possible. He was showing signs of violence, something he had never done before, and although I still had love for him I couldn't risk my boys or myself. So JERI, I can only say I think your sister is enormously lucky to have you. She is not the cause of his dissatisfaction although he will probably tell her she is. Just hang in there, believe me she needs you at this time. Hope I'm not presumptuous, Anne.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Well - Happy Saturday evening to Marie (Go Cowboys) & Co. --- With the exception of "freezing" temperatures; it was a nice day.

Have a slight cold. Awoke around 4am and planned a 20 min walk; but ended up burning 240 calories doing 40 minutes...made myself a pretty good Saturday breakfast...Egg Busters, 1/4 cup; Raspberries, 1.5 oz ); Sweet Baby Peppers -1 oz; Country Kitchen - Light Oatmeal Bread, 0.5 slices; Seasoned quinoa, tomato & feta cheese, 0.2 g; Fat Free American Cheese, 0.5 slice; TOTAL CALORIES: 160

Have my goal set for the next 100 days. Joined the squeal to the "100 Days of 2015 Challenge" I just completed. Hoping for a 12 pound loss. Starts tomorrow. Awesome group with a leader that does a great tracking spreadsheet.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100404-100-days-of-2015-challenge-the-sequel

Read in today's news an awesome guy I knew died. He was the brother of a high school girlfriend and a CPA I had used professionally for years. Honest & moral as they come. I haven't seen him in many years. Apparently got pancreatic cancer less than 1 year ago. Always looked good and in perfect health. He was 59... Yet again a reminder to live each day.

Lin - Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Buzz - That was a nice insightful post. I have known a few families torn apart by PTSD. We owe our military (& Their families) all the support we can give them.

Have a great night all!

73641431.png

• fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thank Phoebe, Sandy, Lin, Buzz and Anne for your kind words and advice about my sister. It is so nice to be able to express my worries to you all. Anne you are not the least bit presumptuous.

I try to give her unconditional support and try very hard not to offer advice as well. I think she gets enough from others without me. I have though suggested a counselor but she feels she doesn't need one. Darn. I'll try again in a day or two. However, today she sounded not too bad and even went to a friend's place to watch the game. I went through a sad divorce myself once and based on that have learned to keep my advice to myself unless it is solicited. Ed and I may have to fly up to visit though if she gets worse again. It is an up and down situation for sure. Poor sweet heart.

Buzz - that must have been such a hard time for you. I appreciate your advice.

Today I went to a Continental Cup curling event with Ed. Then he took Heather and Zach to the next two games. I had lots of fun and we'll go to 2 more games tomorrow. Fun.

I got in 10,483 steps today. I am trying so hard to keep it up.

Good night all,

Jeri

• Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi to everyone from sunny Saskatchewan. Once again I am so far behind that it will take some time to catch up on your lives. I have to set aside a time to pop in daily.
    For those who are struggling with health and family issues my heart reaches out to you. Life can be tough sometimes. I am glad we have this safe place to share our lives.

I am not sure if I mentioned that I gained a few pounds over the holidays. Grrrrhh! I am so weak and sweets have so much power over me! I will get it back under control. I know I can do it but I lost my power for some reason.

Neil is doing well. He freaked out a bit when his holiday was over but he is fine now.

Lin -- I do appreciate you asking about Neil when you have so much on your own plate. You are such a sweet person.

Marie -- we have lots of snow. It was very cold for a few days but didn't feel too bad today. I am sure you would find it terribly cold but it is what we are used to I guess.

Sandy -- I think I read you have a holiday coming up. Enjoy, my friend!

Buzz -- how are you two? I hope your legs are better.

Phoebe -- I think I saw you were adopting a dog! I hope your cats love him, I know you will!!

Have a wonderful week, everyone! Take care and keep smiling. Gayla
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday sneakers! This morning I've been slow to get going so before I finally head for a shower want to check in just in case I don't manage to return later. In the night I could hear hail crashing on to the roof as several showers rushed by so half expected to see a layer of ice on the ground when I pulled back the curtains but hooray, it's quite mild and not a sign of the white stuff!

Lin ~ Do take care on your journey north. Our news is front and back about events in Paris but I did notice the ticker sliding across the bottom of the screen mentioning Lake Michigan heavy snow.... that's not far from you is it?

Buzz ~Welcome back to good health, I'm so pleased you're feeling better. Dear Mike has lived a lot of years and has every right to be just a bit tired; it's something I noticed many times working in local community care once the magic age of 90 was reached. It must be a worry but he's in a safe environment and has you to keep an eye on him as much as he allows so what more could he want? Unfortunately that does put the pressure on you to do all the worrying!! Serenity is something I strive to obtain but believe me, as I get older I find it more and more difficult as even the smallest hiccup in life tends to wind me up. Is it an age thing?

Sandy ~It's Snowdonia in north Wales I'm going to with friends the last week of January and am praying we don't get any snow around that time because it does tend to build up in that area. It's a spa hotel so we will get pampered and I might just come back a new woman!! LOL

Jeri ~ My brother recently went through a divorce and decided a new young wife from the east would be the answer to all his problems!! Well you can imagine how much advice I tried to offer, all of which was ignored so he had to discover for himself. What I'm trying to say is that as siblings we want to protect and guide but we're not kids anymore so sometimes have to sit back and wait until it's the right time to be there to pick up the pieces. Perhaps it's not that right time just yet for your sister but you're such a loving family I'm sure she will turn to you when she feels the need.

The sun is shining through the windows telling me I should have been under the shower an hour ago so once again, have a great Sunday everyone.

Jackie
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    Today's a new day JERI, another day for your sister away from the past and the hurt. I really do feel for all the poor women out there who are now waking up to a new reality. There are some really good men in the world, and some of you have found them, but with the wheat also unfortunately comes some chaff. Bet I didn't spell that right on a lighter note. Enjoy your day Jeri, you are strong and your sister will be too in the end. ❤️Anne.
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    JACKIE, how lovely for you a trip to beautiful Snowdonia and a spa hotel to boot! I never did see the top of Snowdonia, it was always covered in mist or fog! No wonder Wales is the land of dragons, who knows what's lurking in that mist! Have a lovely, lovely time, like the dragon, I'm green with envy. Anne.
  • BlueHarebell
    Options
    JACKIE - that's Mount Snowdon of course, machine keeps " improving".
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,123 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday!! :D It is a little warmer today at 26 degrees which is good since I am going to Mass later. Babe is not going, besides his bad foot, he had the beginning of a root canal yesterday and is also complaining of his arthritis hurting all over his body. He is such a pleasure to talk to lately. :p I have no plans for today except for watching the Golden Globes, I am a sucker for award shows.
    My weight is still going down even though I didn't record calories or exercise the last two days. I can tell how many calories I consume and didn't eat much yesterday.
    Lisa texted me last night and they are trying a new method to put Robby to sleep since is not a good sleeper and still doesn't sleep through the night. Just enough rocking for him to close his eyes than put him down and reassure him without talking. If he cries pick him up for sec to calm him and then lay him down again until he finally falls asleep. Not sure I can stand to hear him cry so this will be tough for me. He does sleep the best at my house and I am not sure why so I am hoping he will do this easily for me. Have any of you let your babies cry themselves to sleep? Seems so cruel to me. :p

Good hearing from you Gayla. I think a lot of us gained from the holidays and are all back on track for the new year. Glad to hear Neil is doing well.

Have a great day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Evening,

I read everyone's posts and lots of things are going on. I just want to say my prayers are going out to all that are suffering right now with family and friends. <3
    I will comment another time.

We just got back from the boat show and it was a productive day. We did buy some small items but no big purchases. We did make a contact with a gentleman who will give us a deal on an auto pilot for our boat when we are ready to order. :) He happens to be a friend of our SIL's.

We had a lovely dinner last night and breakfast this morning with our friends.
    I did try to watch the calorie intake but it was difficult at times. We did walk over 12,000 steps yesterday so I did manage to get in some exercise with all the walking. :D

Now its time to get back on track with our plan and start some dinner.

Have a lovely evening,

Shirley
    Ontario, Canada

• CALIECAT
    Options
    The football game kept me occupy today. Dallas did lost out But They had a good year. no complaint.
    hugs Marie
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    We are getting along pretty well in the truck. Dog wants cat food and cats want dog to go home.
    i am getting exercise from lifting Honey and putting her on the ground. Squats! Lol, found out today that she doesn't want Jim to lift her, he reaches down for her and she spins away! I had to get out and lift her. Im a little sore but I am being careful.
    Knee is good too.!
    read all the posts, congrats Bob on your weight loss
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Phoebe glad Honey likes the truck. I can imagine those cats want Honey to leave.Thanks fo the update. Got to go walk some in the house. My goal the first day was 200 and I made it. each day I will try to increase my steps Got to go read some in the "Book"
    hugs Marie