Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Internet problems and neighbours picking a warm and sunny Sunday to walk round their garden with a screaming petrol strimmer so no peace outside!! Even George has curled up in his bed and closed his eyes! My modem internet light is flashing red so you may not get to read this....
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,363 Member
    Jacean1935 wrote: »
    That's a lovely thing for your church to do LIN. Shall you take a photo of your beloved grandma as well?
    More later from yours truly,
    Anne.

Anne, I am taking a photo I ran across last week, my mom in the center of the photo, her parents on either side (all seated on a couch), her sisters standing behind.

I am ready to go. All packed, Tai Chi done. ;) Still cold and overcast with some drizzles.

Lin

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Happy Mother’s Day from Florida! It is a beautiful morning here even if I didn’t sleep well. My daughter has gone to her church and I am going to noon mass at my church. We will have a video call with my sons and then relax by the pool.

Have a wonderful day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean1935
    Jacean1935 Posts: 190 Member
    Beautiful day here as well. I'm cutting back bushes with Michael. The honeysuckle was a goner!
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Happy Mother’s Day all sneakers! Great day here. We might have a late lunch outside on the deck. So sorry about the honeysuckle, Anne. I know you tried to nurse it back to Life. That is your nature.

Lin: what lovely memories of your mom and family. Enjoy the day and I know you are remembering your mom in a sweet way.

Sandy: how wonderful that you and your daughter each worship in your own way at your own church. Then share a visit with your son. Good job, Sandy! You raised some good adult children.

Jackie: I guess it is the sounds of summer...weed eaters, lawn mowers, leaf blowers. Our only defense is ear protectors and maybe loud music on the CD player. Internet problems are constant. Reboot! Retry!
    Good luck! Try to find a peaceful place like George has done.
    Patsy
  • Jacean1935
    I've just collapsed on the sofa along with a worn out Bean. All the family came over. Mikes Mother's Day present was cutting back the bushes and he took one look at the high grass with only the tip of Jilly's tail showing, yes really! and out came my old mower and he cut the lot. I'm not sure what to do about the professional mowers who still haven't shown up, but probably will tomorrow morning! He brought treats for The Bean as well and I so appreciated his help. Mark, Mary Jo and Derek showed up with two of the biggest hanging baskets full of red and blue flowers, just gorgeous and must have cost them the earth! Lots of laughs and it feels very quiet now they've all gone home. I am so lucky.

Derek's little kitten I showed you earlier is actually a Norwegian breed something like a coon cat, or a Maine cat? They grow huge and Hobes is already bigger than Jilly.

Golly I can hardly keep my eyes open. See you all tomorrow!
    Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Hope you all enjoyed Mother's Day. I'm afraid this extended weather of low barometric pressure has really brought on a horrible arthritic attack that has left me next to useless! I actually looked up JERI's problem - Dupuytren’s - to see if perhaps it's what's happening to me, as my hands have become a swollen unusable mess, along with the feet, ankles...you name it. I think I will see the Dr tomorrow, although I don't think they have answers to arthritis except strong medication. Sorry to cut this short, but I wish SANDY a wonderful vacation and hope it's much better to the north of Florida! Love to you all!
    Buzz
  • Sandydur
    Happy Monday! :) unfortunately, it is a cloudy day here in Jacksonville so doesn’t look like a tanning day. I was able to float in the pool yesterday for Mother’s Day but it wasn’t long enough to start my tan.
    I am very relaxed though and looking forward to my son and his wife arriving today. We have some great plans this week that I am looking forward to. (Bad English). Everyone must be tired since I am the first one here. Have a great day!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean1935
    Oh BUZZ, I do hope you feel better today. After yesterday's garden onslaught I'm walking around like an old lady of 82. Okay! So I AM 82, but that doesn't mean I want to walk around like one!

I'm so lucky though, my poor friend has been told that it's too dangerous to operate on the tumour between eye and brain. Therefore her greatest pleasure in life has been taken away, driving. She could have a stroke or an aneurism quite unexpectedly. When I think of all the road trips we did together in the past I am so sad for her. Her neighbour doesn't own a car but can drive. Flo is keeping her car therefore and the neighbour will drive her to the grocers and medical appointments. Every cloud has a silver lining as they say. That's one blessing she has, great neighbours who cut her grass etc. Mind you, I can't complain either.

Mother's Day was such a joy this year. It really was! Bushes cut back, grass mowed, the old dying apple tree full of little yellow finches finding grubs in the bark. My new planters hanging from the old dying tree, Jilly having the time of her life with all the family around, and we've all got red noses from sun exposure. Yes! Really!

Mark and Mary Jo have a shady garden and the one sunny spot is full of flowers. Well, that was last summer! Inspired by my veggie planters last year, they are clearing for a veggie garden and I'm about to inherit loads of perennials. Hope it's not today!

Busy washing so I will away,
    Enjoy SUMMER!
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited May 2018
    Good day. The serviceman arrived this morning and my air conditioner is all checked out now. It was time to change a special electronic filter and I left that task for the service person. Surprise, they had sold me, at the time of the last visit, the wrong size filter. He called in to the shop, they had the proper ones but they had no one to bring them out here. Surprise, they sent an Uber out here with the filters. Wahoo! All swapped now, one of the new filters now installed. I also took advantage of a special they had going on to have a surge protector installed that will protect my air conditioner and furnace. Seemed like a good idea since just static electricity fried one of my thermostats in the past year and that was a very expensive event.

So all done and onward to do some laundry and work on some cards. Going to the new Tai Chi class a bit later and tomorrow morning I am going to meet a friend to see the Avengers movie. It is discount day. Yippeeee.

Yesterday after a lovely service and the expected emotional reading stuck smack dab in the middle of a solo, didn’t see that coming, I walked to the car in light rain. By the time I pulled out of the parking lot is was heavy rain. And when I got on the Interstate it was pouring, the road was flooded and then the hail started. Oh my! What an adventure. I was happy to get home. My sump pump was doing its job. Then the rain stopped, the sun came out a bit and another surprise, the handyman and his son showed up and started mowing and trimming. They mowed a different set of lawns than the guy did last week. Color me confused. But glad to see familiar people walking around my house. I did wonder how angry his wife was that on Mother’s Day that both of them were out working. Hummmmm

Anne, I am happy that so much was accomplished at your house yesterday. And rest up, you will feel younger soon. Just as usual. And how wonderful, lovely finches!

Buzz, I am sorry you are not feeling well. I know you love to help people and that is good but I hope you take enough time to look after yourself as well.

Sandy, I hope the sunshine returns soon! Enjoy your week with family.

Patsy, did you eat out on the patio? I hope you had a lovely time.

Jackie, are you very busy? Or is your Internet giving you fits? I hope it is happy busy-ness! Hello George.

Well, best tend to the dryer, get some lunch and get ready for class.

Hugs.

Lin

• pinkperil
    First no internet then after a "chat" with someone via helpline little boxes to my server typing why i thought it happened and getting a 'yup' response to a question I quickly realised I was in touch with one of those IT child geniuses... A completely different language! Anyway he managed to guide me towards losing the red no internet light but still no connection. This was yesterday so I slept on it and after walking George this morning searched for an old fashioned helpline phone number. More fiddling since wifi had now disappeared as well but found it and after a long chat and resorting to sticking my bic biro into the tiny reset button on my router got back on line. Since then I've shopped for garden compost and spent the afternoon potting tomatoes, peppers and an Abutalon plant that can grow in the garden room or outside if warm.

Read everyone's posts and now hungry so time to cook chicken to have with salad!! Good to see everyone fine except dear BUZZ. So sorry you are in lots of pain but sometimes we have to give in to strong meds even if just for a short time. Hopefully your doctor has ideas to offer relief. <3
    Jackie
  • jwubben6600
    Good morning dear sneakers! How great to hear about the sweet Mothers Day celebrations. I just love that! I too had a lovely Mother’s Day. Our daughter and our grandson showed up with cards and we all sat around the table reading the cards, eating my Mexican Ceaser salad, champagne, and a huge piece of chocolate cake. Katie then entertained with a ball game, showing off of her various toys. We also had a long chat with our son. He had a sailing event late afternoon. But we had a fun phone visit. We are planning a Father’s Day picnic, where (as our son says) we will do manly things...like burn meat on the BBQ. Oh Baby!

Buzz: well sweet friend! This is bad news about your pain and swelling. I guess it might be time to call in the heavy artillerary. Pain meds? Anti-inflammation meds, special topical pain meds, those arthritis gloves that help deal with arthritic fingers. Do it all if it will help you feel better.

Anne: how delightful! I can envision those flower baskets hanging from the tree limb. Birds tweeting around, Jilly lying in the shade waiting for her next walk about the neighborhood. My sympathies concerning your old friend. It isn’t very much comfort to see old friends suffer

Sandy: hope you come back tanned and relaxed. Your move to the new condo will just cruise by and you will be settled in no time. First order of business is to enjoy your visit. We are excited to hear about your adventures.

Washing is started. Load of dishes is done. Next to empty trash etc. in dungeon. I am Trading out space heater for a small fan to move air around in there. Paint creates some toxic vapors. I Must keep windows open and a fan going to expell the bad air. John is like a building inspector. He walks into the dungeon , sniffing the air, and looking at my trash can. “That is a potential fire hazard!” I guess I failed my inspection. Okay! I will clean the dungeon.

The week begins.
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    SANDY, so glad the weather in your area is great. We are still in in a horrible pattern of tornado warnings, thunderstorms and just horrendous for arthritis! Finally got myself to the doctor, who was amazed at the swellings all over and he sent a Pain Management Doctor to my apartment so I have started Tramadol and something else to reduce the swellings. They also changed my water pill from furosemide, which never did a thing for me. The weather here will remain wet and low barometric pressure for the next few days, and we will see if it is weather related when my blood work ie read.
    LIN, how lovely to share your family photos!
    ANNE, so you now have a quest: find another piece of honeysuckle
    to nurture back to llife! Happy for your lovely weather!
    PATSY, I'm noticing the usual "after the update" problems with my internet! Of course, it could be that my fingers have lost all feeling except pins and needles! I concur with your observations about SANDY raising independent adult children! She still works hard at being a supportive, non-interfering MOM! Thank you for your suggestions. I have finally given in, including wearing mittens to keep my hands warm! I didn't realize ther are special gloves! Too sleepy tonight butwill research them tomorrow! PATSY, those vapors can be harmful, dearest friend! Make sure you have decent ventilation! My sister's etching materials were the worst vapor producers in HER dungeon!
    JACKIE, perhaps it was a tiny angel telling you to take a well-earned rest? We all tend to ignore that need, don't we?
    I requested dinner in my room tonight and need to get to bed, even though sleep doesn't seem to help. The darn pins and needles keep me aware of annoyance. Yes , tomorrow I'll look up those gloves!
    Wishing you all a return to glorious weather, and STAY WELL!
    <3 Buzz
    ...........................Always Believe Something Wonderful is About to Happen!..........................
  • pinkperil
    It's turning into another warm and sunny day so having walked George early on rather foggy and damp moors the coffee is perking and I will do some much needed housework before more gardening. I love this time of year! I've been in touch with my neighbour's handyman to construct an area of decking outside the garden room that is currently a rather sad flower bed and having waited to see what might be salvageable now have the task of sorting Spanish bluebells from our native ones because cross pollination is wiping out our English species. I hate to destroy any growing plant but do understand the importance because more and more plants and creatures are disappearing for the same reason.

Buzz - our wet winter certainly increased my joint pain so I'm sure your theory is correct. Just as soon as that low pressure moves away you must get yourself a dose of warm sun on your body.

I'm delighted to read PATSY and ANNE had such a wonderful mother's day and LIN enjoyed her service even though emotional. It must have been a relief to see your regular handyman back too. I know my neighbours' because he did a good job for me a couple of years ago when a facia board came adrift so know how important it is to deal with someone trustworthy.

Coffee brewed so I'll get on and hope everyone has a good day especially SANDY floating in that pool surrounded by loving family. :)

Jackie
  • linder4866
    edited May 2018
    Good day, trash is at the curb, the sun is trying to peek out and it is time for me to get going. I am making a trip to Trader Joe’s, home to stow things away, then off to meet my friend at the movie theater. After the movie, I hope to get to Costco to get my glasses adjusted and have a general look around the store. Maybe a stop at the gas station as well. We will see. Rain expected later so I will be wearing my raincoat again.

Well the Tai Chi class was okay. It is a small group, every instructor is different and this one is quite young and energetic with huge knee lifts and large stretching steps. I am not following that, my body does what it does. And that’s it. It was nice though. After I saw and heard several tables of Mah Jongg players. I tried to speak with them and they said they were friends and it was a closed game. Okay. Same at the library on several mornings, you need to belong to a particular organization in order to play in those games. I will need to see when people are playing at the place where I learned to play. Maybe I can horn my way into an alternate player or something.

Jackie, I am sorry some of the bluebells must go but you are wise to recognize that the native plants will be lost if the interlopers are not stopped. Our weather is now warm and muggy and would you believe literally swarms of mosquitoes are out already? Wow! That seems fast to me.

Buzz, I hope the measures the doctors have prescribed will bring you some relief. We have not heard much about your weather lately. All focus seems to be on the continuing horrendous events on the island of Hawaii. Each day new vents, more poisonous gas, more destruction. I have a short memory as I do not remember such extensive activity there.

Patsy, what a wonderful and peaceful Mother’s Day. I must say it sounds perfect. Now Father’s Day with the manly pursuits, well, I am sure that will be fun in a different way. Yes, stay ventilated. I was just using Gamsol yesterday and was warned about the vapors. Strange, I tried to pretty much keep the container closed but I really didn’t smell anything.

Sandy, hope you get some rays of sunshine.

Hugs.

Lin
  • jwubben6600
    Hummmmm...woke up to a wet morning. Not sure if this will last throughout the day. It might but if so , we will have a small change of plans. John mowed again yesterday. He also did a lot of “beating the jungle back”. Blackberry vines, English ivy crawling up and strangling trees, scotch broom (sort of like gorse) and just old fashioned WEEDS! It is better but by no means under control. There are many noxious plants that have a foothold here. They got here on the various plants with dirt balls attached. The alien plants are very hardy.

Need coffee and a slurp of yoghurt. I skipped dinner last night so I am hungry. John will be sleeping late as usual. His bio-clock is set slightly odd. He sleeps late and goes to bed late, very late. We somehow adjust. Katie works with everyone. Many naps, lots of playtime, several outdoor runs, treats and her regular meals along with several ball games etc. Life is flexible for our Kate!

We have a robin that is setting up shop in the rain gutter. I hope the crows don’t find the eggs and the babies. the crows are keeping a close watch on everything. It doesn’t look good. How do robins raise a family? There is danger everywhere. This looks like a bad idea for mother robin. I would have suggested the birdhouse, but what do I know?

Patsy
  • Jacean1935
    Another bad day for typing. I give up.
  • Sandydur
    Busy day today......still raining but we still did a lot!
  • delraybuzz
    Foggy head and I keep loosing my reply box! Don'know if it's me or the computer! Keeps running away . I started this around 9PM needing to wobble over to my bed, and here I am, a frustrated person unable to hold a post! Quick synopsis...Nothing has helped, the lab hasn't shown up yet, Pain killer is useless, swelling not gone, I cannot walk on right foot at all and now N.P. is thinking gout or infection, so I'm now on an antibiotic as well! very discouraging. Also under consideration is that condition whose name reminds me of puckery skin, starting with the letter <C>. Sorry, can't think straight! Late afternoon, the N.P came and gave me about 15 shots in and around the foot and ankle. My cleaning gal is expected tomorrow, and I think I'll just have her do the piled up dishes and kitchen counter, change the bedding, clean my bathroom and go home! I want my Mommy! :'( How did it get to be so late?
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    edited May 2018
    Darn, lost my post!! BUZZ I'm so sorry you are feeling more than icky but perhaps a strong antibiotic has your head spinning so rest and more rest until you feel better. <3 I'm sending as many hugs as you can take!

Raining here too but after picking Scruff and her mum up from garage where her car has been left for servicing we walked in the woods I used to take George when first adopted. The dogs were immediately off running and exploring so we guessed Bob the dog carer must have made it a regular spot for their walks. Home now with coffee and a plan for more housework.
    Sandy - keep busy and ignore the rain!
    Anne - how frustrating for you but wouldn't know how to begin sorting other than a phone restart.
    Pasty- robins are tenacious little creatures and born survivors despite their unusual choice for a home. Unfortunately Brady the brat discovered a bluetit nest in an old box at the bottom of my garden at the weekend and killed the chicks.... reminds me why I've always adopted older cats until him!!!
    Lin - it seems rude of people not to allow you to join them at mah jongg not that I play so wouldnt understand the importance of a closed group. Perhaps set up your own as i know you would welcome anyone and everyone!

Coffee finished and jobs to do.
    Jackie