Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,267 Member
    edited August 2018
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-45224687/what-s-the-truth-about-spiders-in-our-homes
    There's an old "friend" in the middle of this video IF you don't mind watching!

I am lucky I didn't throw up watching this Anne!! I am terrified of spiders, especially those with orange heads.
  • autumnglory2018
    autumnglory2018 Posts: 93 Member
    edited August 2018
    Oh sorry SANDY, but I guess you saw our old friend which is why I pasted it. Fake news and all that.
    The only things I'm scared of is certain two legged varieties of predators! Especially orange headed ones with small pursed mouths, lol.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    That's funny Anne. This morning when I walked George along the narrow footpath to the car I felt at least one cobweb on my face and muttered spiders to myself. I hope it isn't autumn yet but certainly the days are drawing in and night time is cooler.... even Brady is curling up on my bed for a cuddle!!

On a lighter note, what do you think of this little girl?
    http://www.manytearsrescue.org/display_mtar_dog.php?id=22764

Jackie
  • autumnglory2018
    I think she's absolutely adorable. Even the name fits doesn't it if you were to acquire her. (Thinking of the Violet scent in your home!). At one year I think she will adapt fairly quickly to George and the kits.
    I keep telling Mike I'd like a companion for Jilly but he doesn't think it a good idea. I think he's thinking if and when I fall off the twig he'd have two mouths to feed.
    Are you thinking of getting her JACKIE? If so you will have to move fast with Violets good looks. Why on earth wasn't she wanted? Try to find the reason. And the best of luck in whatever you decide.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    edited August 2018
    Yes Anne, it crossed my mind calling her name might well disturb old spirits!! At the beginning of the week I completed their application form for another cutie but they advised me she was in the middle of a check to reserve her but if her details moved into that section it didnt mean I failed the initial process so phone if I saw another dog that appealed. I'll phone in the morning and see what they say.... It might be they don't like my age (back to ageism!!) adopting a young dog. I bit of a hike to their shelter in Llanelli too but will go if it's for a positive visit. We'll see and will let you know.
    Jackie
  • autumnglory2018
    JACKIE! Exciting. I've read everything you posted on adoption. Jilly cost me $600. She answers to all sorts of names, Jill, Jilly, Jilly Bean, Beannie, who's a little pest, etc, etc, so in time Violet could be easily changed to say Lettie, Vie Vie etc. Don't want you waking up sleeping spirits! Her original name was Speedy! Over here they don't seem to mind how ancient one is in adopting, yes even me! I noticed one shouldn't leave a dog longer than four hours. That's reasonable and if Mike ended up with Beannie he works almost next door to his home should he inherit her. Easily home for his lunch and breaks. So far the longest I had to leave Jill was three hours. Very rare, she's with me almost constantly.
    I was pleased to read the rules and know I'm on the right track!

I almost bought Jill a child's paddling pool SANDY because she's quite happy getting wet. I'll get one next year for sure. Hope you got over the video shock but of who?
    lol. Sorry! You will gather I rescue spiders and that's because they eat critters who bother me more!
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello again! Lost my post twice! I think I clicked on a wrong spot on my my iPad. Aaaaargh! Okay, ready to give it another try. Not that I have any great news or wisdom to share.

This is chinook salmon season here. Therefore the river is filled with fishing boats and fresh salmon for sale. Of course, John could not resist. I NOW have a big salmon steak to bake today. We will use leftovers for salads and sandwiches. Not my favorite but certainly the top of John’s list.

Now about those spiders, I will package up as many as I can find and send them to you, Anne. We have an abundance. More than we need.

Ooooooh Jackie! I would adopt that sweet little girl in a heartbeat. I hope it all works out. You would be the perfect family for her. George would be initially totally unamused at this little interloper. But he will establish the rules of the road rather quickly. Our son’s little dog (Runtie) is a tyrant and the other two dogs know the rules and they all get along swimmingly. It is funny to see the negotiations.

Sandy, you are going to have a great time at the wedding. Can I come? Of course, you would outshine us all, so I best stay home.

Lin: thinking of you and the vegan lifestyle. It is a wonderful healthy way of eating. I wish I could join you. I live with a fish/chicken/veggie eating guy. It is hard to change another person’s food preference.

I am trying some roll-on CBD lotion for my knee and arthritis foot. Expensive but I would enjoy the lack of pain and limping around. I get decidedly cranky when the weather dials up the arthritis. Under those circumstances John would buy me this stuff by the gallon. Ha!
    Patsy

• Sandydur
    Love Violet, she is a cutie. Remember terriers are wild little things but seeing as you walk everyday I think she would fit right in. George needs a companion and you need more cuddles. I hope it all works out!!!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,360 Member
    Oh my goodness. Frightful. I saw no friend at all. :*
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Wonderful video, JACKIE! Dear little George certainly has a mind of his own!
    ANNE, I like your attitude! Let me see,...I think 19...no 50 was a good age to be, though I can't scoff at 91, either!
    SANDY, Hawaii may be the most laid back state in the union! Sandals (and comfortable ones, at that) would not be inappropriate! My son wore shorts to his own wedding!. Locals may choose to wear Muumuus! Being comfortable and just relaxing and enjoying the wedding is the most important thing! The top looks lovely to me! If the wedding is to be outdoors, you might consider a large straw hat to shield your neck and shoulders! There are tons of shops there where you might be able to pick up a lovely pink to blend with your dress! The sun there can be brutal as far as burning! (I always loved it!) Where is the wedding being held? What town, island, beach, or any information you have! And how long will you be there?
    Hi, LIN. Today must be sneak a peek day! You generally have such plans!
    Sorry, I seem to have drifted off and then saw an incorrect extra charge from Comcast in my email, so just came off a chat! I was told "ignore the charge; it was made in error! How many people end up just paying their mistaken charges?
    <3 Buzz
  • autumnglory2018
    edited August 2018
    Good morning all. I'm up with back ache and Jilly Beans gone back to bed. The reason for the backache? Well BUZZ yesterday I was in my 32 year old frame of mind! I cleaned through the house, I cooked the Thai green curry, I walked Jilly, I cooked Jilly's chicken and I tried out the new gardening tools and ripped up the 2ft high weeds and I'm NOT exaggerating. Today its back to being 82 with aching limbs. If the family arrive I shall go into pathetic mode and hope some dear, sweet, sensitive soul cuts the grass.

I like Buzz's fashion comment about a beautiful pink straw sun hat to go with SANDYS pretty dress. Keep it simple and elegant. The flowers on the dress are adornment enough and what's wrong with the present neckline. You look great and can carry it off.

Wondering how JACKIES getting on with adoption. Is she on her way to Wales or will George carry on being an only pup! There's always something going on with this little group. JERI on her travels and PATSY collecting spiders to send to Anne in Ontario! Don't want your orange headed ones though Patsy! As for LIN she'll be heading off to church and then either packing or creating. I feel quite worn out thinking of all you buzzy bees. We sort of have our own SOAP the eighties series.

I keep losing this great literature and think it happens when someone out there is posting at the same time. Is that you JACKIE out there mucking me up? LOL.
    I'm off!
    Anne, lover of spiders!
  • pinkperil
    Good morning lovely Sneakers. Hmmm, well I made the call to the animal shelter and let's just say little Violet is too young for me rather than I'm too old!! A very pleasant voice on the other end of the phone asked me not to feel I was being judged in any way so I decided not to give a sermon on evidence that shows the younger generations with their unhealthy lifestyles possibly won't live as long as me!! If it wasn't meant to be then so be it and I'm sure someone will snap her up in no time. There is another dog on their website called Carrot, 6 years old.......!!

Sandy, yes, terriers can be wild little things which is perhaps why little Violet ended up being handed in. I guess we'll never know.

George and I walked across the moors first thing leaving my friend to take her rowdy gang to an open field where they can all run to their hearts content. It's one of those mizzly mornings with fine rain drifting through the air so we both got soaked but now I'm dried off and George has nibbled at his brunch I must get some housework organised.... at leased run the vacuum cleaner about and wash the kitchen floor.

Anne, the first time my friend had George stay for a few days while I went away he apparently spent most of his time standing in her paddling pool set up for Scruff as the weather was hot so I purchased one for the garden. Not only did he ignore it but if I stood him in the middle he jumped straight out again much preferring the rather murky pond! Just another sign of his stubborn nature. :D

Patsy, during my last visit to Canada about 15 years ago we travelled north to the lakes where one evening walking alongside a river we were upset to see hundreds of struggling salmon in a river running through a town packed so tight they could barely move. The weirdest thing of all was although one could have leaned into the water and pulled any out by its tail, there was a line of fishermen and women just a few meters back from the logjam with fishing lines!! Occasionally, if I can source it, I buy wild Alaskan salmon because our Scottish is farmed so not exactly healthy swimming about in a confined space. I'm sure you will have made a wonderful meal from John's steak.

Buzz, I was as relieved as you to learn that wayward parcel arrived at your door this time and do hope your friend will already be enjoying the nourishing meals or perhaps they are in the form of drinks. We live in a world where everything has to be checked and double checked as errors pop up in the least likely situations. Modern technology is supposed to be making our lives easier but I'm not so sure and today a news story here was about statistics showing people are returning to phones without the internet and other mod cons. They look very smart and modern but it's understood more and more folk are realising just how much time is wasted on social media.

Goodness me, it's 1pm already so a quick light lunch then out with the vacuum cleaner.... actually it's out already leaning against a wall but not plugged in!!
    Jackie
  • autumnglory2018
    edited August 2018
    Oh JACKIE, I'm as disappointed as you, although "carrots" sounds interesting!!!! Being older, he/she might dominate George though. I have to admit The Bean can be a bit of a handful at times, always ready for a game of "pull the sock" etc. When grannie here wants to put her feet up and watch her favourite real life detective programme it's very annoying to be greeted with a waggy tail and a smelly drool filled sock shoved in ones face. I suppose at some point our ages will merge unless she wears me out first!
    Maybe one of the local farmers dogs will have a litter. That's how we got our lovely Jenny. She was one of nine and the desperate owner was giving them away!
    Annie
    Footnote to SANDY, if you go with the wide brimmed hat you can throw it off with abandonment as you later dance the night away under a big Hawaiian moon.
  • pinkperil
    Anne, my post above took an age to type because a friend phoned in the middle and I did notice at one point my laptop screen with floating bubbles went berserk so yes, we were probably interfering with each others typing. George is 6 already although I can hardly believe it and this is little Carrot
    http://www.manytearsrescue.org/display_mtar_dog.php?id=22773

I must stop looking!!
    Jackie
  • autumnglory2018
    Oh JACKIE, ANOTHER adorable little one. My cousin had a lovely King Charles spaniel (Captain, last name Cook). He lived to be 13 so you could have Carrots for 7 years at least. Same age as George though so like PATSY you could lose both at the same time. That's heartbreaking.
    Time flies doesn't it. The Bean is 2.5 years now. Amazing.
    The rules are very strict. Michael wanted to adopt but was rejected because he lives in a condo. Such a shame because he was forever taking Cinders out, but I guess it's a general rule for all as the person with the phone stuck in their ear can't see and judge. He's just turned up and gone again with Jill in tow. He enjoys walking her.
    Annie.
  • Sandydur
    edited August 2018
    Happy Sunday! :) Another pool day with pool weather but first a video call with my kids.

Jackie, little Carrot is perfect but sorry you didn't get Violet. I really didn't think age discrimination was a factor in today's world, so I must be wrong. Carrot looks about George's size so he should fit in just fine. Good luck, I am sure you will find the perfect companion for George.

Anne, I love how you play the two ages, the younger for George and the older for your boys.
    With all the work you did no wonder the younger Anne needs a break today.

Buzz, the wedding is in Oahu March 3, 2019. I will be going March 2 - March 9. My daughter rented a house for us all to share, the wedding will be in the giant back yard unless it rains then inside where there is a huge room to hold all the guests. This is the property she rented.
    https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15437361?s=51
    Click on the photos on the left.
    I hate myself in hats and love the sun so I will be fine.

Patsy, whenever I visit Daisy I think of you. Daisy is 100 pounds and when she sits she is huge. I just love her so much and as you know OES are always puppies.

Enjoy your Sunday, Funday.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • autumnglory2018
    Wow SANDY, can you wrangle us all an invite!
    82 year old Anne got her grass cut today, evil laughter! I already feel my 32 year old self again!
    Annie.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,360 Member
    edited August 2018
    Hello all. I did not see many of yesterday’s posts. They didn’t load for some reason no matter how often I refreshed. My email was jammed up early this morning I got so I restarted my iPad and now I see everything I missed. All I saw was the link to the spider video and as far as I knew, mine was the only comment. Odd.

Jackie, I am sorry Violet went to someone else but she did look a bit frightened. Poor little girl. The older dog, Carrot, seems more calm and not so ill at ease. Cute tail too! :) My neighbor has a Cavalier King Charles spaniel and it is ages old and still loves to go walkies with her. When I adopted my second Husky from the Husky rescue group they not only inspected my home but insisted on a meeting between the two dogs on neutral ground before proceeding. That went okay so they brought the dog, that same day, to my house and let the two of them interact for a while in the yard. If it hadn’t worked out they would have taken her back. I am glad they are cautious though. Except of course if things do not go my way.

Buzz, glad to hear about the delivery finally making it to you. I signed up for some program with FedEx I think where they notify you when they have something that requires a signature and you can do the paperwork in advance so they are able to leave the package. I don’t get much from them so I do remember the details but at least once it was quite handy, especially since you have no idea when they will show up.

Sandy, that house is SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Anne, lucky Jill, everyone loves her and she will always be well cared for. It pays to be cute! If I adopted now I could not be certain of that. I hope you are treating your back with great care.

Patsy, John is lucky that you will cook whatever he wants. How accommodating! I know people who will just make what they want to make and then the family can take it or leave it.

Yesterday I was slowly working through some things in the basement. Yes, trouble tossing things, as usual. But also crushing some boxes, tossing out bags, moving things around. Checking with several folks to see if they wanted something I was giving away. I have a big pile of clothing, not from the basement but that will go in boxes from the basement to take to charity. Making very slow progress but it is progress.

Today was a quick trip to Trader Joe’s and then off to Sunday school and church. Still doing communion every week. Home now. Will change clothes, make some lunch and then start on boxing up those clothes. I have a follow up appointment with the eye doctor tomorrow and hope to drop off my load of donations

Hugs and many best wishes sent your way.

Lin
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Good morning sweet ladies. I know that might be thought of as a sexist remark, but I do think of you all as dear sweet invisible friends.

Who knew...I fixed sockeye salmon. It tasted good but not as good as chinook salmon. It is Wild salmon and the meat is very red. Chinook is paler and tastier. However, John loves salmon of any strip or origin. It is such a treat for John, I think down deep he must be part kitty cat.

We are to have a few very hot days this coming week. I will need to be very firm with John about working outside in the heat. I have no idea why he loves working in adverse conditions. Not me. I shut down and just perspire, and get mightily cranky.

And more about dogs...I can not think of a breed of dog I couldn’t love. Some of the big very strong aggressive dogs might be too much for me. I have a neighbor who had a Rottweiler and this dog was a sweet clown. He loved our OES doggies. They were great pals. We have always had multiple doggies (2) and it was wonderful. This is the first time we have had an “only child.” I would love to get another dog. Not only for Katie but it makes for a lovely little fur family.

Well dear friends, I am off to the diungeon. I have all manner of household tasks that need doing. So I will hide in my lair and fiddle around with stuff.
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    Wow Sandy, what a fabulous venue and I'd suggest you put your name down for bedroom #4 with its queen size bed which looks so comfy!! ;) There's plenty of room to dance the night away for everyone isn't there so looks like a wonderful wedding for you to look forward to.

Lin, If I decide to offer to adopt Carrot I'll go through a similar vetting process as will George that you did for your Husky. Since the shelter is in west Wales, a fiddly place to drive to, I'm assuming a home check will precede meeting her but I'll sleep on it and decide in the morning. Keep sorting that basement of yours... you will feel so much better for having sorted the boxes and items collected over the years.

One of the reasons I hadn't originally looked at a similar aged dog as George ANNE was just about what you said, possibly losing them around the same time. Dear PATSY went through a dreadfully painful time when it happened to her two pooches. George's groomer has 4 x 10 year old dogs adopted at different times and I know it worries her but I've decided since life often throws curve balls I won't prioritise age. Shelters have to stick to certain rules I know so just like you and Mike did, I'll work my way round them!

Last episode of Unforgotten tonight so must get myself settled.
    Jackie