Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,360 Member
    Good evening, we had a lovely time at the craft show today. Each of us running into friends and acquaintances. Some very nice vendors as well. Both of us looked at many things but purchases were few. I bought more of my special daily foot treatment. Just my normal purchases from the vendor I either see in person or order from online. I stopped at several shops on my way home and did some browsing. More vendors than usual with jewelry, handmade soaps and essential oils, and many, many fall wreaths.

Jackie, what an adorable video. Racing, racing, racing. Way to go George. And yes, shake that laundry within an inch of its life before bringing it in! No more stinging insects!

Sandy, my furnace is running a bit as well. Chilly and wet but high temperatures (in the 80’s) expected later this week. Any update on your fireplace? Or did I miss it?

Buzz, a magnificent week. Did you have Lion dancers? My first view of that dance was earlier this year. Quite athletic dancers!

Anne, so, was the bread yummy? I certainly hope so. You and Jilly quite busy again today.

I need to read the book club selection. Meeting is coming up soon. Will read some this evening. Making plans with a friend for Monday. Will be spending at least a portion of the day with her for her birthday. I decided to purchase a birthday card for her. Relieved.

Well, church tomorrow as usual.

Wishing everyone well. Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,267 Member
    Jackie we must have posted at the same time but I have to tell you how much I loved your video. Daisy would absolutely love running with George in that open field. We really don't have many places for her to run like that and I just adored how much fun George was having.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Wet and cold today. But we are glad things are getting a nice big drink. The trees and grass were looking pretty thirsty. We are to have a week of cool weather and showers.

We chatted with our son and I had the usual attention to my diabetic feet. My tootsies require examination, and a sort of very unglamorous pedicure. I am not to paint my toenails pink or wear high heels. I would break my neck trying to walk on them anyway.

I am already ready for an early bedtime but will probably end up not getting to bed much before midnight. The cold wet weather has me wanting that warm quilt again.

Our crazy little bird has flown south I guess. Thank goodness. However we have an over abundance of spiders creating egg sacs on the side of our house and up against the drain gutters. John has cleaned the entire house outside once already. It appears it will need another before too long.

I decided to drag out my bread machine as well, Anne. John likes my bread but he loves Dave’s 12 seed bread. To satisfy my love of all things spicy, I make a bread with some cornmeal, green peppers and red pepper flakes, cumin and chili. Delish with Mexican chicken or Mexican salad. Tex-Mex cooking is my favorite. Our son and I are the ones in the family who like a bit of fire in our food!

I keep wondering how this Supreme Court judge hearing will play out. I fear it will be a Republican Democrat mud slinging fist fight. Might will be right, and the republicans will confirm the new nominee.
    All I can say to you is ...Canada! England! The entire planet...what is happening here in the USA is not a reflection of what we, the people, are or what we believe.

I could be wrong Sandy, isn’t Angry Bird a computer game that little kids can play? Please understand, I don’t know much about these things! I just saw a children’s book title about it.
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    edited September 2018

I have forgotten how to do quotes, so please forgive this "post -in-error"!

I keep wondering how this Supreme Court judge hearing will play out. I fear it will be a Republican Democrat mud slinging fist fight. Might will be right, and the republicans will confirm the new nominee.
    All I can say to you is ...Canada! England! The entire planet...what is happening here in the USA is not a reflection of what we, the people, are or what we believe.
    Patsy

• delraybuzz
    edited September 2018
    Quote LIN: "Buzz, a magnificent week. Did you have Lion dancers? My first view of that dance was earlier this year. Quite athletic dancers! "
    .....Our Chinese dancers were celebrating the Moon Holidays, and were so ethereal , talented and lovely. The ensemble did gorgeous "scenes" with decorative umbrellas, and actually used many classic ballet movements with an Oriental twist! One 14 year old lovely dance a solo from Swan Lake and was surprisingly excellent!
    All I can say to you is ...Canada! England! The entire planet...what is happening here in the USA is not a reflection of what we, the people, are or what we believe."end quote!

.......Thank you, PATSY, for stating what most of us U.S.A. people are feeling right now! It is as if our government has been usurped by out-of-space strangers and we know not what to do!!! It seems to resemble an entertainment series, the more outrageous, the better the actors appear to like it! I'm afraid we have some growing up to do...and quickly, before it's too late!

I have forgotten how to do quotes, so please forgive the previous paragraphs, but I hope you all get my drift!

SANDY, lucky "almost bride", to escape a lifetime of fear and anger! A cancelled wedding is a small price to pay, lol!
    JACKIE, How delightful the video is! And the tiles sound like something I would love!
    ANNE, since bread is my second favorite food (after chocolate, of course), I am drooling at the thought of your loaves-to-be! There go my WW goals!

Not certain why I'm so late tonight, other than constant interruptions by "friends in distress" requiring my presence, (reluctant, I must admit) to help with a friend having frightening abuse from a male neighbor while her husband is hospitalized ! (I called security immediately) And my dear friend who is constantly forgetting how to find anything on his computer! AT least I got him back onto the internet! Also, I received a rathe angry call asking why I had sent an email to my friend's husband suggesting he purchase a certain vitamin, highly recommended by ME! He used his credit card online and was promptly relieved of over $400! Luckily the bank stopped the payment, and I had to explain that any mail having a link enclosed should be carefully examined by hovering the cursor over the address to see what follows the @ sign! Of course it was not from me at all, and actually had used my given name rather than my email name in the "from" line! It appeared to be from a foreign source, so I was forgiven!

So that leaves me with much straightening out to do on Sunday, which I had hoped to avoid. My "annual cleaning" will be on Tuesday and it will be a staff person coming in, so she must be able to maneuver around my paper work!

I did receive a lovely phone call from Mike's ( :'( ) son, gtelling me he will visit in December, and again thanking me for making his Dad's life such a happy one! What more can one ask for? I go to bed one happy camper!!!
    <3o:) Buzz
    ..........................Always Believe Something Wonderful is About to Happen!..........................

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited September 2018
    Cool and cloudy today so I took George on the low track along the edge of the moors before picking up chicken feed then dropping in to see a friend to catch up over coffee. Strong coffee at that so my head feels like it doesn't belong to me at the moment! I'm doing my best to avoid Ryder Cup news so I will enjoy highlights later and think the garden will be the best place to potter for a couple of hours... extra layers required though. The chimney sweep is now booked for a visit Wednesday so hopefully it won't get too chilly beforehand.
    A Harvest moon has been rising over the trees each evening for nearly a week, huge, golden and magical that does remind me each of us is the tiniest spec of dust in the Universe even the pushy, bullying and some would say psychotic leaders we are currently suffering and one day a puff of wind will blow them away... we just have to believe! Which reminds me, last night I watched 2 documentaries, one on the diverse natural world in South Korea that was jaw droppingly beautiful as well as a source of food. A group of female divers collected Conch shells in often rough seas and amazingly the oldest among them was 94!! She explained she struggled to walk on land but once in the water felt a freedom to move every muscle and could still hold her breath for long dives.
    The other was about North Korea as seen through the eyes of Michael Palin, best known for Monty Python, who managed to see through the closed society he was allowed access to with at times subtle humour and had his young translator laughing at the fish slapping dance sketch he showed her on his iPhone!

Oh dear, now it's raining so I won't get the grass cut today. Perhaps the last painting job Instead.

Have a good Sunday everyone and take care. <3
    Jackie
  • Gawanne32
    Gawanne32 Posts: 202 Member
    Yes, we too have woken up to a dowdy sort of day with rain forecast after lunch...so not much to report from up here. Michael's coming for lunch of home cooked British style fish and chips with mushy peas. With my few horse brasses we can imagine we are in an English pub what with the weather and all! He wants to shop for rye flour as well and is bringing caraway seeds which makes me wonder if he wants to have another go with my bread machine which makes better bread apparently than his cheaper model. Fancy, at this late age in my life I find I've got things in common with my eldest son! I get to talk politics with him as well.

Our trees are only just starting to change into the glorious colours of autumn and the furnace keeps coming alive so it is most definitely cooler. When I pulled my very heavy sofa away from the wall to retrieve Jilly's ball I found a spiders sticky sac under it, but all the babies had gone to college or wherever teenage spiders go. At least yours are outside PATSY!

Well, great excitement here from Bean so I guess Mikes pulling into the drive!
    Enjoy today, day of rest Sunday,
    Annie.

• Sandydur
    Happy Sunday Funday! :) Meeting some friends to watch the Bears game so will try to get back later. Have a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited September 2018
    Good afternoon, another cold and drippy day. Overcast of course. Home from church. Had a couple of stops in mind but I was frozen to ice and wanted to get home to defrost. No heat on in the church yet.

Sandy, enjoy the football game. Wahoo! I have no idea of the Bears win/loss standing this season. I hope you are happy.

Anne, oh my gosh. Rye bread? Lots of projects ahead methinks. I hope you and Jilly are enjoying your day with Michael. I have always laughed at mushy peas. Are they really mushed up? Just well done? Or just a description of some sort. I like my peas cooked but not smooshed up.

Jackie, I have nothing to say about Ryder cup. Maybe you are watching it now? Glad you have the chimney sweep booked. My furnace person is coming a week from Monday. It is making a strange noise each time it cuts on and have been thinking about asking for a service call. Hope it will hold together another week. I hope you have enjoyed your day.

Buzz, the dance sounds perfectly lovely. But otherwise, oh my, what upsetting incidents. Good for you to step up for your neighbor in that horrible situation. You are a darling. And a very touching phone call from Mike’s son is so thoughtful. True gratitude, very rare.

Patsy, what has the day brought you today? I must say I admire you for all you do to keep yourself as healthy as possible. There are so many things I do not do but always think I should add them to my schedule.

I must zip along. I have loads of the book club selection left to read. I am not sure I am comfortable with the book at this point. We will see I guess.

Busy day tomorrow. Early Tai Chi class, a visit tbit the zoo and then my friend and I are going to a movie and I will be skipping my afternoon Tai Chi class. Haaaa. The out of town Papercrafting store is having an anniversary sale tomorrow. Pretty good percent discount. Will have to think about that and see how the day goes.

All best wishes my friends.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    Hope your Sunday was beautiful, too. Sorry I messed up that "quote " post, but I cannot figure out how to do it! Anyone out there who can help?
    <3 Buzz
  • Sandydur
    edited October 2018
    delraybuzz wrote: »
    Hope your Sunday was beautiful, too. Sorry I messed up that "quote " post, but I cannot figure out how to do it! Anyone out there who can help?
    <3 Buzz

Just press quote and delete what you don’t want quoted or leave the whole thing and add your message under the quote brackets? Clear as mud?

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Cold and cloudy today. A light drizzle early this morning. This week looks the same but we have much to do here. I don’t think we will notice.

We watched football this evening. Horrible game but we halved a smallish veggie pizza and decided we will make our own next time. Veggie pizzas require lots of veggies little or no cheese. They got it wrong at the pizza place.

The change in the weather is upsetting to Kate. She doesn’t like getting wet. I don’t like muddy paw prints on the carpet. We both have issues!

I ordered a lot of doggie stuff from a pet catalog and I think we are set for another grooming session. There are soothing towelettes that we can use on her paws and drooly chin. The order includes a new ball called a giggly ball.
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    A glorious start with lots of sunshine but cool. About to dress for a moors walk with George then a busy day ahead so might not be able to check back later.
    Happy Monday. :)
    Jackie
  • Gawanne32
    Gawanne32 Posts: 202 Member
    Rain, rain and more rain. I had a good sleep but was rarin' to go by 5:30 so I got up and did my half hour walk inside. Not so sleepy head, she sleeps on! That's okay by me, I can get on with things for a while without having my duster grabbed. My dusters are beginning to look like lace doilies with all the teeth holes. When do dogs stop being puppies? Ever?
    Mike came over with enough bags of wheat and rye flour to keep me going until Christmas at least.
    Busy day for me as well, so all for now except good morning AND Canada and the US finally have a trade agreement after six weeks of trade talks.
    Annie.
  • linder4866
    Hello, another cold and drippy day. Short zoo visit for certain. Just the indoor stuff and then off to a movie. Stayed home this morning and did my Tai Chi alone. Working through a few online things that I normally tackle around the first of the month. And I did finish the book club book, barely. Not my cup of tea.

Speaking of which, another cup and off I go.

Hugs all.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Happy Monday! :) I have started the laundry on this gloomy day. I had a good day yesterday, met friends for the game which was a blowout for the Bears and then I sold my fur jacket that I had on marketplace (Facebook). The couple met me in the parking lot of the restaurant and my friend Jen was there with me. I had put it on marketplace for $500, then reduced it to $400 and they offered $300 but I countered with $350. SOLD!!! More money for my Hawaiian fund, I am so happy.

Lin, maybe the rain will stop for the zoo, at least we can hope. Our zoo no longer has elephants which were my favorite but I am happy they are free as intended.

Anne, I would love to see a video of Jilly chasing your duster, it must be so funny. It sounds like you love your new bread maker and will experiment with new things.

Jackie, enjoy that sunshine, Fall has certainly come to us with almost too chilly weather.

Patsy, Katie sounds as spoiled as Daisy, I have never seen so many toys for one dog.

Buzz, hope you got some rest.

Nothing too exciting going on here, have a wonderful day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    edited October 2018
    Sandydur wrote: »
    Happy Monday! :) sold my fur jacket that I had on marketplace (Facebook). The couple met me in the parking lot of the restaurant and my friend Jen was there with me. I had put it on marketplace for $500, then reduced it to $400 and they offered $300 but I countered with $350. SOLD!!! More money for my Hawaiian fund, I am so happy.

Bless yer golden heart, IT WORKED!
    I'm practicing on you, SANDY!!! Great news on selling your fur jacket! Hello everyone else! Went shopping today and came home o the bus with 7 huge bags! I forgot I no longer have a car! Now I must figure out where to store it all!
    <3 Buzz

• pinkperil
    Clear sky with twinkling stars and sight of half the Harvest moon late last night when I let George out for his last garden visit but this morning it's misty and raining. A short walk round the village then to find Brady who had a vet appointment at 1015 for his vaccination booster. Nowhere to be found so I popped in next door with their spare key and there he was snoozing on their spare bed! So now we've been into town for that appointment where Brady entertained the vet with his antics climbing on to every shelf in an effort to avoid her before flopping like a rag doll in her arms. It seems he is extremely healthy but I have to watch his weight since he gained over 1 kilo in the past year.... I told her about what he considers his 2 homes and how the neighbours feed him too!!

Hopefully the builder will be with me next week to lay the floor tiles in my garden room which is great news as I've seen a cute 1950's style sofa in a Teal colour that will fit perfectly, just have to purchase it.

Buzz, not quite 7 bags of shopping but this morning I dropped into a supermarket I don't normally frequent due to their high prices mostly to get bananas and cash back to pay the chimney sweep tomorrow but managed to fill a basket with all sorts (including a Danish pastry!!) that then spilled over the top of my carrier bag. It will come to me one day but at the moment I don't know how I'd manage without my car. A case of needs must I suppose!

Anne, Rye bread is my favourite when baked by someone who knows what they're doing! It's expensive to buy in the UK unfortunately and seems to be classed a specialty loaf. I can't imagine George ever growing up because even at 6 years he's a soppy puppy most of the time. His greeting of Brady when I brought him home from the vet was classic!

Patsy, Roasted veggie pizza is a favourite of mine and I used to buy a certain brand at a very reasonable price then one day opened up a box to find its size and contents altered beyond recognition but for the same price so it's off the shopping list. I used to make such things, along with bread, all the time but baking seems to have slipped down my list of priorities. Wine making the same; I always had a few demijohns on the go but this year haven't even bothered with raspberry gin. Too much painting going on!!

Sandy and Lin, perhaps more exciting days for you both today although do we need excitement in our lives? :| Enjoy whatever you get up to.

Last night I watched a programme about the devastating affect plastic is having in our rivers and seas but what was uplifting was not only the genius ideas being thought up to deal with the mess we've created but the majority of innovative entrepreneurs were very young, in fact one was a teenager from the Netherlands when he first designed his giant boom which is already in use on the Pacific Garbage Patch that's apparently 3 times the size of France! Perhaps there is hope for us after all.

Must get on with a few chores in the cottage. Oh yes, I'm still looking at rescue pups now that my visiting and receiving visitors has quietened down but it's difficult because they all break my heart! A little Pug called Frizzles is top of my list so I need to make the call!!

Happy Tuesday
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    edited October 2018
    Good morning. Yet another cold and drippy day. My friend and I did visit the zoo yesterday but stuck to the indoor exhibits. I couldn’t find a placard describing the bird who flew over me repeatedly. I was starting to think I was to be breakfast. The undersides of the wings were bright red. Many beautiful fish and other water creatures. Some dung beetles, a red panda a few other odd animals. Then a trip through the gift shop where I think I saw the biggest assortment of stuffed animals ever!

We then decided on a movie but alas my friend had locked her keys in her vehicle so there was quite a wait for AAA. We sat in the lobby and chatted which was okay but of course she was somewhat stressed by the incident. Anyway, once she had her keys we headed over to the multiplex and were too late for the planned movie, so punted and went to one that was just starting. Once again she crocheted through the entire movie as another grandchild is expected and she is making a number of different colors of baby blankets and some red, white, blue thing—Cubbie related apparently. I skipped the last two stops as my friend was now on a deadline to get to the club to teach puppy training. Didn’t want to hold her up. Got some texts later. She got home with no wallet. She’d left it at her last stop. They still had it and her husband picked it up on his way home from work. A very anxious day for her.

Well, need to get going. Trader Joe’s, maybe a stop at Walgreens for Senior Discount day. Then a morning of Mah Jongg and book club this evening.

Jackie, I saw an interview on the young plastic solution innovator. Said success rate was unknown. But better to do something. Wonderful. And I hope you get your tile next week. (And the sofa.). A friend wants to add another dog to their household but very interesting, she is being allowed to foster for a number of weeks and then can adopt if all works out. Did not know that was a possibility.

Buzz, seven small bags I am sure. :)

Off I go. Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Happy Tuesday! :) Big money bingo tonight, hoping for some kind of win. The problem being friendly with your ex husband (first husband, father of my children) is that they are a pain in the you know what!!! He calls me this morning to ask to borrow a hundred dollars which I have done before and he pays me back. I use Zelle to transfer money but his bank told him he had to download the app on his smart phone. He does not have a smart phone so they only way to get him cash today is to go make a deposit at the bank he uses which is a grocery store I do not frequent. I will do it later on my way to bingo. He then asked me if he could go with me the next time I go visit our son so he could see his new house. I will let him know the next time I visit and whether I will drive or take a train.

Lin, we are having the same weather and I turn the heat on and then turn the heat off. I hate these kind of days, they make me tired. Your poor friend, it was like a Murphy's Law kind of day for her so I hope today is better.

Jackie, Brady made me laugh, I am presuming they also have a pet door for him to get in unless he knows how to unlock the door. lol Your garden room sounds like it is going to be amazing, don't forget pictures when completed.

Buzz, why is it we go for one item and come home with bags of groceries? I am glad you were able to figure out the quote thing, it comes in handy sometimes.

Anne, have I missed your post this morning or are you posting with me at the same time?

Jackie, hope all is well with you.

Jeri, beautiful pictures on Facebook from your trip.

Have a wonderful day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time