Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Yeah ! Great news JACKIE. Delicious meals? Wonderful! Tony next door is now in our local hospital undergoing week long tests and Marie says the food is absolutely AWFUL! She's taking home cooked in for him, AND her washing machines broken down but she's bringing her stuff over for us to do this evening. She has to cover all windows and mirrors whilst Tony is away because he thinks his reflection is a stranger out to get him. Horrible disease, I feel SO sorry for the poor lady.

BUT sunshine.......JACKIE is on the mend! Thanks for the good news !
    Anne.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,318 Member
    Anne sounds like Dupuytrens Contracture, which is what I have. Only my little fingers are worse than the rest of my hand.

Buzz looks great

Jackie Wondet Woman

Oops got to run. Radiation in 30 minutes

Jeri

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,363 Member
    edited February 2019
    Good day, it has been a day of ice, freezing drizzle, snow and now strong wind. Loads of activities are cancelled, schools closing etc. Wind chill expected around -25 degrees F tomorrow morning. I would guess our Chinese New Years party is on the verge of cancellation. Sad. I really look forward to that.

Jackie, you are a wonder! I am astounded with your progress. But how dare George become smitten by a new dog. Harrumph. Really, must say it again, you are just rebounding like no one else I have ever known who has undergone a hip replacement.

Jeri, you are a trooper as well. Are the treatments something that can be attempted again at a later date if there is more progression? Or is this a one and done type of thing. Hugs.

Buzz, I cannot believe how wonderful you look! My gosh, I would not have known by the photo that you just had such extensive dental work. My! I hope things are better today with your technology and this web site/app. I clicked on everyone’s photo and there is a number of comments posted. That is all. No second number. Anyway, all best to you.

Sandy, Happy child care. I hope you will be able to get home later on. I haven’t heard the weather for the Chicago area. They are so busy with endless local updates. Honestly, it is not good out there but every front that comes through could be broadcast by Chicken Little because really, the sky is always falling. Makes me live in a state of constant anxiety when mixed with reporting on politics.

Anne, very nice of you to help your neighbor with her laundry. She definitely has quite a load doesn’t she. Maybe the Bean will cheer her up a bit.

I will likely be thrown out of the Sneakers for this but exposing young children to anything and everything may not be a best practice in my view. Becoming desensitized to everything cannot be good. Accepting anything and everything as just part of everyday life? So there are no unacceptable things? We might as well throw out our laws and hey, who has a moral compass these days. And if you think you have one, is it spinning continually?

And yes, way back when, I did go with friends to gay bars to dance and to see the drag queen contests and to generally have a good time. Contestants were quite lovely and feminine. No big hairy guys in a dress. But I was an adult making a choice to go to these places, I was not a child at school or in a library.

Having vented my spleen, off I go. Do you think the weather is bringing out the worst in me? This country is bringing out the worst in me for certain with one outrage after another.

Best wishes all round. Hugs and happy wishes.

Lin

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Good morning all...well there is just a few minutes of morning left. We have sun and cooooooold temps. That, with our usually high humidity, it is darned uncomfortable these days.

It is true that most people have much more difficulty coming to grips with a hip replacement. I agree that Jackie is a wonder Woman! I would be whining and terrified I would fall. My family (John and our son) would be chiding me about being a wimp. Jeri has also handled her problems with optimism and bravery. Hats off to you ladies! You are both inspirational.

Anne, I know how important it is to have a friend (and neighbor) one can depend on for help. You probably don’t realize how much it means to your friend to know you are a sympathetic ear and willing to help.

I am hobbeling along. I am taking it easy until spring on story hour and I will volunteer a couple of times a month at the school doing Auntie Goose. It is fun for me. Since I don’t have any grandchildren to play with. Do you remember that little song...oh Playmate, come out and play with me and we’ll be jolly friends forever more! Cute little song that I might use at the school with Auntie Goose.

Trash day tomorrow...where did all this trash come from?
    Patsy
  • Gawanne35
    LIN, I've never been to a gay bar or seen a drag queen contest but we did have a gentleman in our village who WAS big, hairy, and wore a dress all the time with a pair of waterproof boots because he liked to go wading with a big net eel fishing. Us kids took it all in our stride, we just thought he liked to dress up and was somewhat nutty in kid language. But I agree, he didn't belong in the children's section of our village library reading stories to confused 4 year olds being taught diversity! He was welcome everywhere else with good humour and tolerance. Shops, pubs etc. He just.....was.

The weather is bringing out the worst in me alright. My drive is a huge skating rink. To keep upright I had to cling to the back door and then gingerly cross a few feet to cling to the garage wall. This was in an effort to get the garbage out for tomorrow. No way am I going to skate down the drive to put the garbage out tonight. Marie isn't risking my drive and bringing her washing over after all. She can't get down her dozen front door concrete steps they are so coated in ice. She can get to her truck via her attached garage and apparently the hospital has a laundry room which she will use.
    Jilly is using pee pads, even she can't stand upright and I don't want her breaking a spindly leg!
    Anne.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,318 Member
    Lin My doctor only wants to do one treatment of radiation with Dupuytrens. Usually it works best when caught early.

Jeri

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    I was with the kiddos from 9:30 a.m. to 7:30 pm. Charlie had a croupy cough so I suggested in a non Mother in Law type of way to take her to the doctor which she did. She does indeed have croup and is now on medicine. It was a long and tiring day so I will be back tomorrow.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    A blissful 6 hours sleep no doubt helped by the amount of pills I'm swallowing last thing and now enjoying a cup of tea our night nurse is distributing before she goes home. Yesterday's x-ray shows the hip is where it should be but the physiotherapist didn't return to test my walking on stairs so going home still up in the air. I think my recovery is more to do with the naughty food I'm enjoying so just as well I won't be weighing in today. Here's the sticky toffee pud from yesterday
    hdollvw0z7c0.jpg

That cold weather some of you are suffering sounds horrendous so please do be careful. Anne even rubbish can wait so don't take risks. Just think, Spring is just round the corner and you will be taking your Jilly for those lovely early morning strolls.

Breakfast is on its way so I'll get myself prepared for the nicest bowl of porridge I've ever tasted then chase up my stairs check because I want to go home!!
    Jackie
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Spent almost all day on the phone fixing errors with newspaper shorting my subscription for some reason (I won; they agreed I have 6 weeks coming to me!),discussing coming transport to my dentist and trying to explain I was not a "no show" for my previous appointment. The drivers (4 of them!) had been given my home number instead of my cell, and of course I was not home, but waiting outside to be picked up! My third beauty was calling my long-term insurance company , which I recently quit when the raised me $71 dollars a month for coverage that became very limited Before I quit, I spoke to a woman on their staff who informed me that I would be entitled to 2 years of aid after exiting the membership. I was to receive confirmation , which never arrived and after many calls, I made an angry one today after being informed there was no such plan when someone stops paying. I insisted they find the phone call (I couldn't recall the date), and after much grumbling, she disappeared for 3/4 of an hour, returning very contrite and saying a new confirmation would be sent tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it, but will not let it go!
    So happy for JACKIE, after my experience with poor hip surgery! Mine was also at my 80th birthday.
    I fell asleep during this post and wakened wondering where Mike was! How weird, but I'd better get to sleep! My love to you all, and once again, thank you for listening!
    <3 Buzz
    .............................Always Believe Something Wonderful is About to Happen!............................
  • Gawanne35
    Golly JACKIE, the food looks wonderful on the national health service.! I won't show my neighbour your photo. She was busy making egg sandwiches for Tony yesterday because she says the food is dreadful here. She too had a good nights sleep because Tony had lost his phone after calling her continually the night before. She suspects the nurses confiscated it so she at least could get some shuteye last night. I guess the saga will carry on today. Just had my home made porridge and wondering how it compares to yours!

Mike is coming over after lunch, but of course it will be up to Mother Nature if he risks the journey on icy roads! My garbage remains in the garage! Even if I had the chance of sticky toffee pudding it wouldn't have lured me outside yesterday.!!!! There was a slight warm up overnight but I've yet to find out what's going on right now; it being still dark. Suspect an earlier bit of a meltdown but icing up again as a cold front pushes through.

Hope everyone has a trouble free day, frosty Anne.
  • linder4866
    Good morning everyone

I have had a wonderful long shower and found another little load of laundry to wash. No word that our party is cancelled so I am packing up for real this morning and will head out a bit later. Won’t be home until late this afternoon as I plan to stay to put things away afterwards.

Jackie, wow, that looks delectable. Again, you are a rockstar of hip replacement! Well done. No running yet please.

Anne, our howling winds have reduced so wind chill is not as bad as it might have been. Real temperature right now is -2 degrees F. Still not a treat but maybe doable. Fingers crossed that my vehicle will behave itself. I would leave the trash for another week too. I do have a walking stick which helps and those Yak Tracks so I am a bit adventuresome from time to time. Take care and I hope the ice goes away soon.

Buzz, what a horrible day you endured. You are tenacious my friend. I just let people and companies roll over me as I never feel I will succeed. Good for you.

Jeri, thanks for the information on your treatment. I hope it is successful. <3<3

Patsy, I do not remember that song. Thank you for sharing it. I adore hearing all the bits and pieces of songs, rhymes, literature and most anything the Sneakers share. Just go at your own pace. It is the thing to do.

Sandy, good for you on diplomatically pointing out the probable illness. You are a gentle soul and so helpful. A treasure.

Must get down to the laundry. Hello to everyone I have missed. Karen, Diane, Marie and maybe even Barbie.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Happy Friday! :) After almost nine hours of sleep I feel good today. Started the laundry, catching up on computer stuff and just staying home today unless I decide to go to the dollar store and Walmart. Although it was a long day of sitting I am always happy to help Lisa who has to deal with three little kids everyday. I am sure Jeri feels the same way with her daughter.
    Lisa was able to take she and Robby for eye exams, then take him to school, do her sauna bag and then pick up Robby from school while I stayed with the two little ones. She wasn't sure if she should take Charlie to the doctor but I told her I didn't want to be an interfering MIL but really thought she should. She assured me that I was not and my opinion mattered. I remember when my youngest son was only three or four months old and ended up in the hospital with near bronchial pneumonia. Charlie is on medicine now and Lisa has an antibiotic if necessary but hopefully she won't have to use it. I go back tomorrow so she and Rob can go to a dinner/dance at their church.

Jackie, I am glad to read you are doing so well. Because you are active I think that helps a lot.
    Just be sure to do all your therapy, I know that is what made my knee surgery so successful.

Lin, enjoy the party, but I am waiting for replies from a company in China that won't respond until the New Year ends February 10. I ordered a swimsuit and need it for my trip. lol

Anne, stay off the ice and keep warm.

Buzz, you are always on top of things and get things done, good for you.

Patsy, I think I remember that song, but can't be sure.

Hello to everyone else, hope you are keeping warm.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Had a couple of cards I simply HAD to make and am so slow, I got to bed VERY late, so am sleepy again in the middle of the day! Just checking in to make sure you are all well. I sometimes think my compulsions will "do me in"!
    <3 Buzz
    .............................Always Believe Something Wonderful is About to Happen!...........................
  • jwubben6600
    I can’t believe this cold weather! We should be looking at daffodils sprouting up showing a bit of yellow buds. But no! Winter and more snow on the way. Odd but not unheard of, around here.

Funny thing happened to me yesterday. I framed a set of small mixed media drawings for a new law office in Seaside, OR. As I was getting ready to wrap them in bubble pack, John looked quizzically at them and said, “back to the drawing board, I think! Look carefully at these, my love.” And there it was! Katie dog hair stuck to the inside of the glass on all 4 drawings. Also a big nose print on the backing of one of the drawings. I guess Katie was doing an art critique. She has a water dish and a treat dish in my dungeon. She maintains an “office” under my painting table.

The political scene has officially entered into a Hollywood soap opera that has hit a new low. I keep thinking we had hit that low but I am always wrong. This WH can always go lower. That is why I read children’s stories and play with puppets. I love to listen to beautiful music in my dungeon.
    Stay strong mind and gentle in heart,
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    Home is where the heart is!
    My stair walking went well so by 9.30 I was allowed to come home. A phone call to my neighbour and she left her work place to drive to the hospital and whisk me away and home. Since then I seem to have done nothing but sleep together with a couple of meals prepared by the same lovely neighbour. I've realised the prescribed pain killers were causing me to feel nauseous so have stopped taking them as I'd prefer to put up with the feeling of stiffness in my hip than that awful blah, throwing up threat!
    A throw on my knees as well as a cat means I'm cosy in my chair downstairs so as it's 2.30am will get back to sleep for a while. Quiet without the dogs but they will be brought home tomorrow (today) after a morning walk.
    Greetings to everyone
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    Welcome home Jackie. I hope you are sleeping now. <3<3<3<3

Hugs.

Lin
  • Gawanne35
    HOME, SWEET HOME, THERES NO PLACE LIKE HOME !!!!!!!! JACKIE.

Hope the pain eases today, and after much tail wagging George, Betty, and the kits allow you lots of catnaps today.

More hugs ❤️❤️❤️❤️ from Anne and The Bean.

• pinkperil
    edited February 2019
    What a busy morning! Turned kitchen light on to make myself a cup of tea about 6.30 and got an immediate text from neighbour who saw it... was I alright? A couple of hours later got myself washed and dressed before she popped round to help me carry cereal and tea. Later her partner was back with a warm pasty for my lunch that I'm about to reheat then Jill arrived with George and Betty who are already snoozing. George is very quiet but being the sensitive boy he is I'm guessing he senses something isn't quite right so will sit close and keep an eye on me.

Anne, I pretty well slept 9 hours which was first time in years and although I feel I could do so now, am keeping alert so I can walk and do small exercises every hour. Later this afternoon there are 2 rugby matches to watch so neighbours will come and watch 2nd one with me as the Wales team they support is playing and I can make rude comments!!
    Oh dear landline just rang but couldn't get to it quick enough!! I'd better move it closer.

Thanks Lin, plenty of sleep and delighted to be home.

Ok, that pasty is waiting to be heated so I'll hobble out and deal with it.
    Jackie
  • jwubben6600
    Jackie! So glad to see that you are home and on the mend. It also makes your recovery easier to know your friends care so much about you. They are keeping a watchful eye on you. It is heartening to hear you are sleeping and resting comfortably. Not sure exactly what a pasty is but it sounds wonderful. Maybe something like our pot pies? I often hear you and Anne speaking of them. From across the miles we are thinking of you. Wishing you well,
    Patsy
  • linder4866
    edited February 2019
    Hello, packing up for a day at the library with paper crafting friends. Wahoo! Have not seen these people for a couple of months.

The party yesterday was lovely and I was pleased to see a number of folks that I do not see often. Such nice visiting! And both Qigong and Tai Chi. It was my first time to participate in a demonstration of double fan with my little group. I find I may be okay with it as I do not look at anyone. I just do the form. Helpful to not notice being watched. Before double fan demo we did single fan. We had such a huge group doing single fan! It was wonderful. I have never seen that many fans in one room.

Jackie, my gosh, all this attention is wonderful but it may keep you tired! Home again with friends and your fur family. So happy for you.

Anne, good morning. Any shopping in your Saturday plans?

Patsy, oh my, too much help from your assistant. So a total do-over is required? Oh my.

Sandy, have a good day and good luck on contacting a company in China. I am still in the midst of a dispute with a company in China that is in the third month I believe. They will not answer my e-mails and will not provide an address or information on how to return merchandise. I am told even if they do give me information and I send it back, I will never see a refund. Harrumph! Oh and a used book I ordered from France in December has not arrived. Amazon says I must contact the seller directly as they cannot authorize a refund for lost merchandise. I think I am probably out of luck here as well but luckily that is a very cheap item but nothing that was available in the U.S.

Buzz, ah cards, so lovely to make but they do require a lot of time.

Best wishes all round once again.

Many hugs.

Lin