Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Just past midday so I'll say good afternoon! It's cool and although we managed a dry walk I see we are promised plenty of rain later. As we walked I smiled to myself when a rather lanky young man covered in a hoody, phone in hand staring at it, walked gloomily past with a French bulldog and tiny Chihuahua in tow. Last night a programme discussed the rapid changes coming our way as robots take over our lives and seeing this young man seemingly incapable of offering a greeting, perhaps because his phone hadn't told him how to, I could see what it will be like when automata lookalikes are sharing our lives. Perhaps he was a robot dog walker!! :D

Not much to report as I get on with a few DIY tasks and having just picked up masking tape and small paintbrushes I'm hoping to finish painting my shower room ceiling.... exciting times!

Oops, just remembered I didn't weigh myself this morning, probably because subconsciously I'm thinking of the bacon bagle I enjoyed for my lunch yesterday and know I won't have lost a single ounce! Smoked mackerel today which looks healthier but probably too much sodium so I can't win!

Have a great Friday everyone.
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Just read you JACKIE and guess what, whoops I forgot all about weigh in as well. Not sure if it's subconscious or rebellious!

Was the robot dog walker actually walking real live dogs? I ask because I see in Japan I think, or maybe China, they are buying robot dogs! Dogs that don't poop, pass wind, go on heat, don't get fleas, and definitely don't bite when crammed up against you in the minute boxes they are calling home.
    Don't we live in weird times.

I guess one or two of us will remain social drop outs in the brave new world, happily digging in the dirt and horrors, picking up poop.

I watched a British program last night on TV. You will have watched it I'm sure. Memory bad but I believe it was called "A very English scandal"? I remember the scandal breaking just as we left for foreign parts in the 70s. I thought Hugh Grant looked very much like Mr. Thorpe. Another political T.!!
    Well must away on another rainy, chilly day.
    Hi EVERYBODY.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Happy Friday! :) Gloomy right now but promise of some sun and warmer temps. I am hoping to take the kiddos outside in the yard if it is dry enough. Wild puppy will probably join us if we do. Babe said he is coming over with Daisy tomorrow, I am excited to see her. Maybe we can walk her since it is going to be a beautiful day.
    I did get my TV back after resetting it numerous times and then asking the neighbor if his TV was working to make sure there were no outages. He suggested using my phone and having them send a signal. I called Comcast but when they returned my call my phone did not work.
    So I went on my phone and had them send a signal to fix my WiFi and it finally worked. I was happy to be able to see some of my favorite Thursday shows.
    I am grateful that I have some technology skills. :)
    Doing laundry and playing catch up on the computer.

Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello from soggy city! But things are finally leafing out. The apple tree and huge elderberry Bush is full of tiny leafettes. Yea for Miss Springtime.

Oh I had a giggle about those of us who love technology but have no skills and very little understanding. I am remain intrigued and not above dipping my toe into the whole technology wonderworld. Now that gardening thing...I think that is a real mystery. I can barely grow a radish let alone a delicate flower. My specialty is geraniums and hardy nasturtiums. There are times when I stumble on those as well.

Going for my physical and dreading every minute of it. I need to adopt an attitude like Sandy. Seeing it as a benefit rather than a scary invasion of my privacy. Am a hopeless whiner at times. New Medical procedures have been very beneficial for me.

Gathering books for donation to library and senior center later this afternoon.
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Hi everyone. I promised myself to get much needed sleep by 11 PM. As usual, I missed, but since I can barely type, I'd better say "good night" and waddle off to bliss-land.
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    Well, well, well..... sunshine, the scent of apple blossom and the sound of grass growing. I'm sure we were promised rain but not complaining! Forgot to weigh myself again then, in the farm shop purchasing local wines to take to my neighbours' new kitchen official opening this evening, I dropped off 4 empty milk bottles for which I received 80p and proceeded to spend it on one of those irresistible chocolate/fudge shortbread biscuits!! :p

Anne, Amazing but not surprising Japanese inventors have come up with a robot dog to be owned, never needing a walk or anything that might seem too time consuming! Humans are one day going to lose the ability or desire to do anything impromptu I'm sure!! That drama is A Very British Affair and I seem to remember I mentioned it when I was watching last year. Jeremy Thorpe was one of our local MP's in the west country and very popular and at the time I got to hear all the gossip at the tv studios I worked in!

Patsy, a couple of years ago we planted Nasturtiams at the allotment and it's the one thing that comes back every year, never perpetual spinach or more usual edible plants! I love their peppery taste but there's only so much you can add to a salad.... pretty though!

Sandy, wow, perseverance worked for you, brilliant. I do hope you get to see Daisy today as you must both miss each other.

Lin, you are over the page so I daren't look back and risk losing my post. Happy Saturday to you anyway!

Sweet dreams Buzz!! <3

Still catching up with the lost hour and only just altered the car clock as that was confusing me!! Time for lunch now, then on with a few chores and since it's a dry day I might well shampoo the spare bedroom carpet.... AGAIN!!

Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Well.....spring the sweet spring. Woke up this morning to a very balmy 4C which apparently will start to creep up to 11C this afternoon. It was absolutely freezing yesterday so today is a bit of a shock! It rained all day, with no dogs out walking so Michael took the very happy Jilly for three long walks. He was freezing and wet and she was quite warm and wet!

Not much happening here today. Stocked up on basics yesterday so......stocked my jars. I've a dozen Mason jars which I fill with dry stuff, oatmeal, rice, pasta, yeast, etc. Not only do I get rid of all the infernal plastic but the screw lids keep any ants etc that may stray in - out but also make my kitchen cupboard look rather pretty. Ive already washed all Jilly's bedding AND my winter parka, cross fingers.

M and M fly home this evening looking all bronzed I expect.

And so here we are at the start of another Saturday with the sun beaming through the window, cardinals, blue Jays, finches, and sparrows attacking the bird feeder before the squirrels clue in that it's filled with sunflower seeds, peanuts and bird seed. Looks like a happy day all around,
    Anne. 🌞👣🐾
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,364 Member
    Good morning. A very overcast and gloomy looking day but the temperature will be on the increase today. I am doing some laundry and packing up for a day with the creative ladies at my library. I am just taking pencils and pens today along with my lunch and some tea and a comfy cushion to sit on (the chairs are surprisingly uncomfortable :)).

I did all the things on my list yesterday. Had a nice long lovely visit with my friend and we chattered about anything and everything. Stayed too long of course. When I got home, I cleaned a bit of dry stuff off my Day lilies as they suddenly sprouted a bit yesterday. And I sprayed an eco mixture around the outside of my house as a horde of ants were gathering in my garage yesterday morning. Was almost late to Tai Chi class as I was horrified at the army of the creatures. The eco spray did its job and yes, I ordered some more as it looks like I will be doing battle as they attack my house. Last year they were in a closet, in my kitchen window, and some found their way in, I think, at the sliding deck door. Argh.

Buzz, glad you are getting some sleep. Maybe you need an alarm telling you to go to bed!

Anne, lovely weather for a change. Excellent. And your family returning home. What a happy day. I am hoping for some sweet spring days here. Not hearing birds or seeing squirrels but someday!

Jackie, and a beautiful day in your neighborhood. Ha, good for you. Got the car clock changed. I have an alarm clock upstairs that I never changed as it automatically changes for daylight savings time but the catch is it is on the old daylight savings time schedule when our shift occurred later in the year. I am about out of patience with it.

Sandy, I hope you have a very enjoyable visit with Daisy and Babe. And that the weather is good!

Patsy, if you dip your toe into the 3D printing world, please share! I want to know more!!

Oh gracious, the weather forecaster just said we have the possibility of a wintery mix next week. No, no, no! Horror!

Must move along, the dryer is telling me it is finished.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Happy Saturday! :) Bad day with the kiddos and dog yesterday. Ewok had two accidents on the lower level rug and when Lisa returned and I told her she got all upset and said did I take him out after the accidents? I said no, I didn't know that I was supposed too and how could I with the three kids? Charlie was crabby with a runny nose so Lisa took her with to Sam's Club even though I told her to leave her so when she returned she said Charlie cried the whole time. She then asked if I feed the boys dinner and I again said no because I didn't know what or when to feed them. She was very frustrated and I told her I know you are upset with me but she said no it was a bad day and possibly pms. I texted my son and said I think Lisa might fire me and he said no she won't and she didn't leave clear instructions. I did feel bad since I felt like I was no help but she texted me later and apologized for being a crab *kitten*.
    I think she forgets that I am 77 and not as young as I used to be. lol

Babe is coming with Daisy so I better jump in the shower. Have a great day all.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    We had a thunderstorm early this morning so dear Katie was scared and upset for quite awhile. She finally settled down but I had to practically wrap myself around her for an hour or so. I have been wanting to try a thunder jacket but have not yet. She is like a little kid when she is scared. She wants to crawl into my lap and be cuddled. The things we do as parents of our human kids and our furry kids!

I am feeling sort of anxious about everything these days. i think I need a total attitude adjustment. Getting out in the sun would be very therapeutic but the sun is in between big drops of water these days. We are having a very late cold spring. The onion and potato farmers here are in trouble. Still haven’t been able to plant. McDonalds will be hurting for French fries!

Lin: The 3D printer is interesting. It works by layering threads of various materials from spools. The technology is really still developing for home use. Our son had to redesign his immediately. The result is striated and often has to be sanded or filled with some material to make the surface smooth. Damon thinks these problems will be fixed as the technology grows. He is using his to make special artifacts for movies and TV. He also works with museums now with their special exhibits. They use the same device for printing human body parts from spools of special organic material. Ears, finger tilps, toes etc. medical use is burgeoning. We are living in a Brave new world. It isn’t always negative.

Anne: In my opinion, mothers and daughters often have a difficult relationship. I certainly do with my daughter. I love her dearly. We are constantly at odds. I am sure I made huge errors in trying to raise her. I was too young to be raising babies. I was in art school and our daughter grew up in a studio playing with her toys under easels and painting tables. Interesting but not what you would call normal. Oh well! We all do the best we can.

Press on dear sneakers! I am thinking of you every one!
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Darlings, I have not quite been myself the past few days.and for some reason and the computer is nor helping by throwing me onto different pages and sites and driving me to distraction! I've been feeling dizzy,, not breathing properly (wheezing at the slightest exertion and having to take deep (but shallow!) gulps of air, so that although I breathe OK, it's exhausting, I can add little and I will check in daily so you know I'm still around!
    DD looked up my new fabulous pain pill and found the following:
    "They put it together in Florida but harvest in Costa Rica, so maybe some poppies are adding to the pain support!"...also, my doctor just doubled my Gabapentin and I understand that can
    cause dizziness and sleepiness....Need much sleep! Forgive my taking so much time.
    <3 Buzz

• Gawanne35
    Dear BUZZ, praying you will be back to your lovely self soon. Take your time, but know that I for one will be pleased when you are fully back with your entertaining, and more importantly, your insights into the world we inhabit today. Hope you wake up fully rested from a good nights sleep.

Busy stirring the porridge, so must away for now. Och aye,
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Dearest Buzz

t777djr26l05.gif

Do please take care of yourself and don't suffer for too long without seeking medical help. You've really got me worried. Could it be a reaction to the new pain pills I wonder? Whatever is going on it's time for you to receive the care you so often offer to your friends and neighbours.
    Rest for as long as is necessary because we all need you, whether you're entertaining us with your movie reviews and descriptions of scrumptious meals or most importantly, offering love and support to each and every one of us as we deal with our daily ups and downs, never mind current political mayhem!

Hugs and love
    <3 Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    BUZZ, I agree with JACKIE, please be very careful with the new pills. Like Jackie I'm worried about you as well. Ever since the prescribed by a doctor medication I took which burst my veins, created blindness in my left eye (slowly, ever so slowly fuzzy sight coming back) and burst all the veins in my left nostril which ended up with me in the hospital emergency to stem the blood flow I've kept clear of all medication both prescribed by doctors and natural from health stores. Just an Advil now and then.

I've read that there is much concern about less than perfect drugs arriving from Asia and other dubious sites.

You are so admired by us Sneakers and we are very concerned that you are going through this distress.
    Hugs from Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,364 Member
    edited April 2019
    Buzz, <3<3<3<3 I cannot add more to the eloquent words from Jackie and Anne. Dear friend, praying you get help with these troubling symptoms. I will say this, I personally know nothing about gabapentin, but a friend was put on the maximum dosage for a while. She had many complaints regarding side effects and reported it to her doctor. They backed her dosage back down and a number of the problems slowly improved. Many hugs. We love you.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Buzz,
    277775rrjacpmvfj.gif

I agree with Jackie, Anne and Lin. Please see the doctor and/or nurse and have them check your medication. We love you Buzz and hope you can feel the love and hugs.

Sandy
  • Sandydur
    Happy Sunday! :) Rainy, gloomy day here, I am staying in today. I came home from Church last night and tried to open my garage door with opener but it wouldn't open. I went inside to the garage and tried again to no avail. I pulled a cord that I thought would open the door but instead it released something and now I can't get in or out. I texted my landlord who has been in California for the last three months to ask if he was back but he said he is in Illinois but not in the area. I guess I have to wait until tomorrow to call the guy who my landlord left in charge to see if he can fix it. Good thing my car is outside or I would be stuck and I have a bone density test tomorrow afternoon.
    It was great seeing Daisy and Babe, we even took her for a walk although she gets tired faster now that she is almost ten. It was a beautiful day so we sat on my balcony and enjoyed some sunshine. Hopefully Babe can do this again because I really miss my little girl. (100 pounds)

Praying Buzz gets well and the doctors can help her.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    Holy cow! I wake up to hear our dearest Buzz is in trouble. As a number one fan in your fan club, Buzz, I hope you march in to your medical team and demand assistance. I understand everyone’s worry about your new medication. Something seems wrong. should you see a cardiologist? Anyway let us hear you are getting some help. We do love you and you are very important to each of us. I need to add my urgent concern for you to seek medical care right now. Don’t wait! Seriously!

I really can’t think of much else other than wishing our Buzz a speedy recovery.
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    I'm hoping no news is good news and Buzz is in the hands of good people who will quickly discover what's happening..

Other than worrying about our dear friend I've had a pleasant enough day walking with the dogs then a few chores and gardening although I stopped the pruning I was in the middle of when a large branch off a Hawthorn bush that is turning into a tree fell rather rapidly and stuck a large, thick thorn into the top of my skull.... and there I was doing my best to protect my eyes never thinking of my thick head!! A week on from our clocks moving forward I'm still dragging my heels so was surprised to come indoors to make a cup of tea and discover it was past 6pm so a small quiche is in the oven that I will have with salad.
    Yesterday evening I visited my neighbours to "inspect" their new kitchen, drink some wine and enjoy a spicy chillie. About halfway into the visit my friend Jill arrived at the door looking for me because she had locked herself out of her house and I hold a spare key. She had tried several times to phone me but I'd left my iphone at home assuming I wouldn't need it.... oops!! I popped home to collect the key and took George and Betty back with me in the dark to say hello to everyone. Both were so excited and happy to be out of my empty home so kept us entertained for the rest of the evening.

Sandy, what a nightmare but as you say, thank goodness your car was outside so you can at least still use it. Forgive me asking but is it something as simple as a new battery being required in the remote control? Ahhh, dear Daisy 10 already which is all the more reason to see as much of her and Babe as you can. Haha, 100 lbs and here I am trying to get Betty to lose just 1.8 kilo, not helped by her running into my neighbours' kitchen when we got back from our walk because she knows there are bowls of kibble for their cats!!

Time to eat!
    Jackie

• Gawanne35
    Mike came over unexpectedly for lunch and to walk Jilly. Fortunately I was in the middle of making a large salmon pie. Shepherds Pie really, but made with fish instead of ground beef. He really enjoyed it and trotted home with the recipe. Then Jill and I settled down to watch a movie called "Marley and Me". She was very interested, sitting up and watching this large untrainable dog. However the earlier walk had tired her out and she fell asleep before the end which was very sad and had me teary eyed.
    What a lazy afternoon! No sign of Mark and Mary Jo. I wonder if their flight home was over booked or cancelled with such a lot of planes grounded.
    Anne