Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Goodness Anne, I'm just catching up and am so sorry to read you had a fall even though as ever, you maintain your Yorkshire lass sense of humour! Of course it could have been a whole lot worse if that bidet had done you in but it didn't so now it's time to listen to your head, Patsy and Buzz as much as your heart. There are many aids available to us these days to help us maintain our independence which for me is imperative so do understand where you are coming from and I can see so much brilliant advice in both posts above that I have no doubt you will find whatever is needed to ensure you remain safe in your lovely home. Of course I type all this in the knowledge I am the most obstinate, bloody minded person when it comes to asking for help or even acknowledging I need to think about accidents waiting to happen but that's me and right now, since you are very important in my life, I don't want to be hearing something has happened to take away the independence you do enjoy.
    I so agree a cane is something to trip over rather than support us having bought a very pretty red floral one to use once off my crutches. Very quickly I felt safer walking in a slow and considered way without.... totally alien to me but even stubborn old me got the message. ;)

I do hope you are feeling less shaken today and ready to take the world on with a little help from a walker if that is what's required. <3<3

A beautiful if windy day here again and after a fun walk with friend Jill, Scruff and Misha we are home with gardener Sue who is currently up a ladder pruning my Camelias. Something else I find difficult, someone else working in my garden but at least she and I are on the same wavelength. A fascinating lady, so much so we have to watch her 2 hour session isn't taken up with talking and nothing else.

Have a happy Tuesday everyone and let's all take things steady! <3
    Jackie

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Oh ladies you are such a super helpful lot. The suggestions are wonderful. I think, like Jackie, I'll reject the cane idea though, I have enough trouble with sweeping brushes, garden rakes etc just by being naturally clumsy and short sighted. My service dog isn't much help either. Great for alerting me to folks walking past but hopeless at hauling me to my feet, although I would end up being found with a very clean face.
    I mentioned to Mark in fun that if we got rid of the airing cupboard in the bathroom it would accommodate a washer with a dryer on top, condo style and size. He's now wondering how we would vent the dryer!. Another helpful suggestion! I only need one bedroom. Mine which strangely enough is adjacent to the kitchen would make a super dining room and the larger kitchen which presently houses my dining table and sideboard would then have heaps of room for the present washer and dryer to be installed. Joking, but in reality I seem to have got Marks thinking cap on. He text me this morning with thoughts on venting. Oh oh, doubt if it will materialize but if it did I'd have an obstacle course to manoeuvre during construction. Mark, who is still on disability, now as loads of time to think and I could have opened a can of worms!
    Well I'm now off for a very careful shower having eaten my unimaginative brekkie of oatmeal.
    Anne, the feeling much better one..
  • Gawanne35
    You know, the back room could also become the dining room after disposing the old sofa and chair. It's a little chilly in winter but an electric fire would sort that out. The kitchen would be cavernous without dining table and sideboard. Just begging for a washer and drier to fill it like we had in England. This is fun, what ifs........
    Anne, this time..... the thoughtful one.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,364 Member
    Good day. What wise posts! I will also take them all in being a very stubborn person who is hoping to keep moving and to stay in this 2 story with a basement home for a long time to come. My grandmother stayed in hers until she was 98 but my parents retrofitted her dining room into a bedroom and bath. We came over to do her laundry each week and brought in groceries and took out the trash. Not lots of help but enough to keep that dear (and gritty) lady going. I think of what-ifs often and am afraid this house would need an extension and removal of dining room in order to have a tiny bedroom, shower and laundry on the first floor. I am guessing city zoning would not allow it but who knows.

May we all find the right way forward with health and happiness.

I have been out to Trader Joe’s for a few groceries. I saw a sign for a much lower gas price so decided to go there but in the meantime as I exited the grocery store the rain was pelting down and the streets were flooding. Of course, I still stopped for gas. Haaaaa.

Time to move along for Mah Jongg and then a sword lesson.

Yesterday’s plans didn’t work to get together with my friend. She ended up needing to see the dentist and there was an opening early afternoon OR the end of May! So we are going to try again on Thursday. I took advantage of the time and did more sorting through old papers and am ready for the last shredding event of the spring season this Saturday. Fingers crossed I will get into that one as well while there is space.

Must run. Eeeck, didn’t see how late it is!

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,273 Member
    Happy Tuesday!! :) I am meeting friends for another friend's birthday lunch this afternoon.
    The sun is shining and the temp is going to be 70, I am grateful. Lisa comes home with the kiddos tomorrow but not until the afternoon. I will go in the morning to let Ewok out and maybe take him for a walk to tire him out. My son is going back to work although leaving early to come home to see his family. Not sure why he just doesn't stay home but will not question.

I too, am taking in all the advice but my problem is that although my body is old my mind thinks I am young. I have 14 stairs to come and go to get into my apartment but still prefer the second floor. I usually have my cell phone near me at all times so I guess that is my security. Maybe being with the kiddos keeps me agile but I do have to face the fact that I am getting older. I love Buzz's unit but I really can't afford to buy anything so if I need help that will be the time I would probably move in with my daughter. Just not ready yet!!! Living alone makes us independent and very stubborn!!!

Have a good day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Gawanne35
    edited May 2019
    I've been trying to find out if you can still buy the wheel across the floor 1960s washing machines. Those with a wringer on the top and an outlet pipe to empty the used water down the kitchen sink. Mine was super. When we emigrated in 1973 after 12 years use it was passed around various aunts for years. Don't know what happened to it finally but it was super efficient. All I can find is vintage stuff on eBay so I guess not. Pity, I could do with my old machine today, upstairs and tucked in a corner when not in use.
    Not all modern stuff is great and definitely not practical when you have to crawl down basement stairs, wash basket in hand, to use them.
    The only drawback that I recall is when our cat Thelly jumped through the kitchen window and straight into the soapy hot water and onto the washing nappies (diapers). A grubby white puss with black markings he flew out of the machine looking remarkably whiter and survived the experience to come to Canada with us.
    Anne.
    Do you remember "Three wheels on my wagon". Mikes just sent me it off YouTube. Probably considered racist today, it was a children's tune years ago. I loved the drawings that accompanied the song on this version.
  • Gawanne35
    Looks interesting indeed Jackie and worth exploring further, however the one I really fancied says not for Canada, I'll show the lads though and maybe they'll come up with something. Thanks so much for finding, anne.
  • Gawanne35
    edited May 2019
    JACKIE, I do believe you CAN buy them here! AND in Oakville. They cost around $500 and have a small capacity but that's okay! Especially If the big machine is downstairs for big bulky items. It wouldn't half solve the problem with little or no construction cost, just a move around of table and sideboard. Excited! Anne.
    Found them here under "Canada Appliance Source. They are for condo living but ideal for wobbly old ladies!
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    ANNE, the name of MY 1st across the floor washing machine was a THOR, I think. I also remember putting live lobsters in it to keep them alive when we returned from Maine!!! Then after washing diapers and sheets, we would hang them outside in wind and sunshine (and some awful clingy bugs) and they would smell soooo good! In my washer now, I throw in a lavender odored scent to have a nice odor!
    Has anyone seen the movie I mentioned?
    I admit independence is wonderful and desirable, and I can be as stubborn as anyone about not asking for nor accepting help. But if anything drives us crazy, it's hearing people say, I'm not ready yet. That is the time to make plan, because if you wait "until you're ready," it's often too late to make a choice! It sounds as if you are giving it thought, so I'll keep quiet!
    Gotta get the wash into my dryer and do some chores before Birthday Night Dinner And a nap might make my evening pleasant as my eyes and fingers are not working properly right now!
    <3 Buzz
    ......................Always Remember.....
  • Gawanne35
    edited May 2019
    BUZZ darling, I'd give my teeth to live with you in your wonderful home, but honestly love it just ain't possible in my case. I left a lovely detached home in the UK which I actually put the deposit on, my new husband just finishing an apprenticeship. When we came over for my exes work in Canada we sold my home and that's the last I saw of my cash. He bought the house we had in Quebec quietly without me being the joint owner. I found out much later this was only one of many cheats and lies. So, divorced under Napoleonic law which didn't favour women then (you must find work I was told by the judge despite not speaking French and the ex pleading guilt. My lawyer actually said "I'm so sorry for you Madam) I found myself with two boys, 12 and 15 to somehow help through university, a dog and a cat and the only job I could find in Quebec that actually spoke English. I transferred to Ontario with this firm because I hadn't any cash to get back to England. I never owned a house again what with rising house prices and inflation etc. Now, I'm not complaining because I am the lucky one with my two lovely sons and DIL, plus all the pets we've loved and owned. I'm secure, but just haven't enough cash in the bank to pay the extra $13000 a year (3 years at most) on top of my old age pensions I'd be charged for probably a less than wonderful place like yours, and that's not counting any shoes or clothes I might need, not to mention dentists and opticians etc.
    I do not want to end up in a government run home however nice. Just like everyone else in the same boat I'll be okay because the one good thing that came out of a "married too young" marriage is Michael and Mark! Over the following years I had 4 marriage proposals and nobody ran away faster than yours truly. Once bitten twice shy you might say, lol.
    Hugs to you and all you other dear ladies,
    Anne.

• pinkperil
    Ouch Anne sorry the compact washing machines cost so much more in Canada. I thought I'd discovered a bargain for you but there again Mark may well find one you like for a better price... hope so.

Buzz, I read the book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and loved it but when the movie came out critics were of the opinion it had been turned into a love story rather than one of the often awful circumstances the people found themselves facing under occupation. I'm sure the movie would have been enjoyable not knowing the book though.

Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    On your recommendation I read the book JACKIE. Agree with your comments. Dreadful time for the folks of Guernsey and Jersey. I'm reading another of your recommendations right this minute.
    A Fateful Flaw by Faith Martin.
  • linder4866
    I enjoyed the book as well. I ignored the movie.
  • linder4866
    Odd the way the day turned out. Played Mah Jongg and had a good time with the ladies then off for my lesson. Surprise, my teacher did not show up. I texted her saying I was leaving after waiting a while. I came home and started sorting more papers for shredding. Got a text later from the teacher saying sorry, she thought we were getting together on Thursday but it emerges now that she really does not want to teach sword. She has urged me to take lessons from a friend of hers. In fact she did sword with this other instructor this morning. So okay, I guess I can take a hint. This is the second time she mentioned this and this time it was more pointed. She has also urged me to take lessons from her another instructor to improve and dive deeper into the Sun form. All lovely suggestions but this is very costly and would have me running all over town. We will see what happens.

I did get lots more paper sorted out. I hope some day I will be caught up!

I watched the video and must say, I have never heard of that song before.

Still mulling over the house issue. Anne, I can not afford to make changes to this house so I am in a pickle as well. We don’t have many CCC options here either so I guess I will keep my head in the sand for now.

Oh, and we have sunshine now.

Many hugs.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    ne2yg7jr2qzi.jpg

Hello lovely ladies. Out and about today after a lovely quiet walk in the woods with George and Betty. Starting with shopping for a few "bits" and see where I go from there.
    Back later no doubt!
    <3 Jackie
  • linder4866
    Oh no, not that white stuff again although the kitty is cute! Happy shopping Jackie.

Leaving soon for Tai Chi and then more Tai Chi with perhaps a stop for some frozen veggies.

Oops, I said frozen. And it definitely will not be that today. Warmer and tomorrow in the 80’s.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Gawanne35
    Well, we reach the 60s today. Maybe I can cut the grass. The puss looks just like Jilly only a few weeks ago JACKIE.
    No mishaps today. In and out the bath tub for a shower and hair wash like a sprightly octogenarian should! I DID take my phone with me, (oh she of little faith.)
    Anyway Jackie, Buzz, Sandy, Jeri, Patsy and our lovely Lin, plus anyone else who may be taking a peek, happy, happy Wednesday.
    Anne, positively leaping up and down like a mountain goat - well an elderly one.