Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Well Anne that was exciting but I don't think England has to worry next Tuesday!! A shame that great French crowd didn't get their win but I'm enjoying the tweet exchanges between the orange man and the girl who scored both US goals and they should certainly get more interesting now! 😄

Buzz you could wear your emerald green number to dinner! I'm delighted you are listening to your body and your breathing is getting easier. ❤

Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,365 Member
    Yippee, I see the U.S. team won. Cannot say I am unhappy about that.

Lin
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Still in a dither over the debates. Up until that 2nd debate, I was 4 square behind Biden. Now I have decided that Kamala would be be the intelligent choice. Wouldn’t a Harris/Booker ticket be outstanding? Wow!

Sunny and warm. Not too hot but warm and a bit humid. Flies, bees, wasps, mosquitoes, spiders, earwigs, slugs and weeds are crowding the blackberries. Mercy me!

Anne: don’t be silly dear lady! Run, not walk to Costco. Get a big fan at Home Depot and a Air conditioner to sit right in front of you while you read and nap. You deserve it and as Jilly’s mom, she needs you around as long as possible. Take care of yourself so you can take care of Jilly.

Jackie: if they don’t defer those games there will be some strokes and heart attacks on the field. That heat is a killer. It has happened before here. We have seen football played in below zero weather, no problem but heat! That is a problem.

Stay cool. Popsicles are great in any flavor that is red.
    Patsy
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Well, the boys came over and I've now got a big window unit AND a huge fan in the back room. Jill and I went to bed just with a cotton sheet and dare I say it, woke up chilly this morning at 74F. Everything now turned off as we warm up. Today, We only reach 82F (humidity factor 91F) which is bearable so I've quit whining, but you can guarantee I'll find something else to have a moan about!
    Poor, poor Europe. Unimaginable such heat!

I hope all you US ladies watch the ladies soccer match between the USA and the Lionesses on Tuesday. Me, I'm a coward. I'll probably bury my head in a book or take the Bean for a walk until it's over and "all the shouting is done". To quote the battle of Hastings poem. JACKiE will know it. ('Arold with an eyeful of arrow - poor man). No Canada still around to wave my flag.

It's the long Canada day weekend, hence my neighbours trekking off to their cottage by a lake. I shall miss them, yes really. No barbecue smells drifting over the fence, no Harry peering speculatively at my Apple tree, no next door fireworks. I knew I'd find something to moan about, lol.

Well, must away, porridge eaten, banana shake drunk. Away to the shower and then a trot outside with the girl.
    Have a good day ladies,
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited June 2019
    Good day. A hotter day in store today. I am finishing a load of laundry and just made some broccoli slaw from a start of the Trader Joe’s mix. Need to sort through the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator and see what else needs attention. :D

I need to finish a few cards today and I do have a start on those.

Anne, wahoo, cooling to the rescue. I am so happy to hear that. A long weekend in store. Will there be parades and celebrations and fireworks? We have the 4th of July coming up and the fireworks started last night. The neighbors had a party with a bouncy house for the kids. I am not sure anyone around here goes to the lake or the marina. Well I will be staying here.

I do not think I will watch the match on Tuesday. I get too excited, a nervous fan. Haaaa.

Patsy, a buggy time for your area of the country! That helps to keep me indoors. Here it is primarily mosquitoes. Makes me itch to think of it.

Jackie, best wishes with those chairs. You have a set of 4? I think I lost track of that. Maybe two would be enough.

Buzz, glad the extra rest helped a bit. Good for you.keep at it. Perhaps you should have a Do Not Disturb sign for your door so are able to rest uninterrupted.

Dryer is summoning me.

Hugs all.

Lin

• pinkperil
    George and Betty were walking in the woods by 8am to avoid the heat and surprising just how many dog walkers had the same idea. I was then supposed to visit the allotment with my neighbour but a carpenter that was supposed to do a job for them at 9 hadn't turned up so while they waited I shampooed the spare bedroom carpet and was delighted that most of Betty's stains came out easily. The Vax machine is parked up in a corner ready for a 2nd run tomorrow but already the room smells floral and clean! Once we got to the allotment I served coffee while Debs did some digging then I picked a large basket full of strawberries bending carefully all the time! We also came home with rhubarb sticks and a leeks. A long chat to brother Bernie in Spain who will be flying to the UK on Wednesday for the funeral then visits to solicitor and estate agent. He reassured me his temperatures are only around 100f and he is used to it. It's further east and north that has the 45c heat with forest fires and a few placesin France of course. All that talking on Skype left my mouth dry so time for a cup of tea.

Anne, great you have a new unit to keep you cool. Don't those boys look after you! :) Ah yes, 'Arold on is 'Orse!! Do you think Tuesday's match will see arrows flying? :D

Lin, the first chair is still not finished and yes, there are 4 but I'm hoping each one will become easier as I'll know what I'm doing... wishful thinking!! :*

Happy Saturday. I'm off to put the kettle on!
    Jackie

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,273 Member
    Happy Saturday!! :) Feeling 100% better today and have learned my lesson. Going to the pool for a while and then with friends to a local baseball game which end with fireworks. I better get moving since I don't have much time.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Gawanne35
    JACKIE, arrows flying at Tuesday's match? Yes, if Donald shows up! "Fake call", sort of thing. "The referee isn't my type". Lol.
    Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    YAY for A/C and fan combo, ANNE.If you set the fan on exhaust next to a window opposite the A/C, you can cool off any room! It draws the cold air through the house. Enjoy!
    PATSY, I like both of them, but the prime goal is to beat the nasty one, and the team you suggest doesn't stand a chance with his followers! I don't even know if Kamala can do it, and she would certainly have the know-how! But this country has returned to a mean and nasty racism and it will be hard to break through that group. I still get upset remembering the fellow whose car broke down returning from a drumming gig late at night, and while waiting for help on the phone, an unmarked cop drove up and killed him because he was black! Luckily, the phone recorded all the lies the policeman claimed and he was convicted but the fellow policemen now are trying to get his conviction overturned! The drummer was a government employee during the day and a church volunteer with young children! So 2 black people on a ticket would have a difficult time here, don't you think? We have a long time to choose, so let's ge involved and hear them out if we want this country to survive in a manner we can once again be proud of! Right now, I'm embarrassed by a do nothing Senate and a House that doesn't appear to know what to do! And a school system no longer teaching children how to think! Or even whether a public school system will survive this onslaught of Charter Schools (profit -making schools receiving YOUR tax dollars!). There was once a prohibition of public moneys going to private or religious schools, but that was cleverly circumvented by a group of people figuring out yet another way to destroy our public school system!. I believe one name involved was Jeb Bush!
    JACKIE, what a relief your carpet cleaned nicely! And why are YOU doing such heavy work right after hip surgery?
    SANDY, glad you are feeling better and how is LIN's foot/ankle feeling now?
    I really must hop in the shower in time for dinner. These naps take too much time for a slow-moving old lady! And I have to figure out how to get the screw part of a light bulb out of a socket so I can replace the dead bulb! One of those 3 bulb affairs attached to my fan.
    Have a lovely weekend , y'all...
    <3 Buzz
    ...........................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About To Happen!..........................
  • Sandydur
    Buzz, have the handy man come in an get that bulb out, it could shock you or break off more if done wrong.
  • jwubben6600
    Warm sunny day here. I am wondering about what to use as our noise mask to help Katie during this 4th of July fireworks season. She always gets so anxious and it is just heartbreaking to see her pant and and pace around. Our vet suggested a thunder jacket. But so far she hates that as much. I usually try to sit on the couch with her and cuddle her. That helps for a while. Then she nervously jumps down and the pacing begins again! I called the vet about some doggie tranquilizers but neither of us want to give them to her. He will likely not be in favor of them as well. Katie is easier in some ways and much more difficult in others from our OES doggies.

My liberal political leanings are part of my lifelong upbringing, as I mentioned before. I cannot even imagine not being involved in the political scene. To me thats what it is about to be an American. I grew up discussing politics and religion. Two things that polite people are never to talk about...oh and of course sex. We were an odd family, a huge rowdy and rude Irish Catholic. There are very few liberals that do not appeal to me politically. My dream is to see climate change addressed again and human rights. Immigration is paramount! I guess if these were addressed we would solve the other issues by default. Rants from the Oregon loon!
    Patsy
  • linder4866
    edited June 2019
    Good morning. Church day and a real scorcher in store. Fingers crossed that the old vehicle will be okay in the midday heat.

I come from a family that did not discuss religion, politics, people’s problems and/or illnesses, or grief. Pretty much kept everything within. When there was an explosion of anger, it was intense and then back to no discussion.

Maybe that’s why I cannot stop talking.

Time to scoot.

Hugs.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    Last day of June already. Where did the month go, in fact where have the first six of the year gone? A mix of clouds and sunshine is making for a beautiful day so with the 2nd carpet shampoo completed in the spare room and light lunch of a toasted bagel, thin slice of Cheddar and an apple enjoyed I'm going to step into the garden to see how I get on tidying round the pond. I did meet a frog the other day when it jumped out from under a Geranium so hopefully there are others out there eating the slugs and bugs.

Buzz, the carpet shampooer is light to use and lift. I used to borrow one from a neighbour that was so heavy I struggled to move it and certainly never attempted to lift up the stairs so invested in the Vax. Of course the industrial strength shampoo purchased on ebay helps!

Poor Katie, Patsy having to deal with fireworks when she's so scared of them. As far as I know Betty hasn't experienced them, certainly not since I adopted her and George does his usual barking to tell me a murderer is outside but he will protect me! 😁 Didn't I see Putin the other day state Liberalism is dead. It did cross my mind what would he know about it? No subject should be off the table but it seems today too many folk are full of anger and can't manage a rational discussion! Gone are the days I'd play devil's advocate... too dangerous!

Anne, compared to England's ladies match with Cameroon when flying elbows and shoves in the back were the name of the game Tuesday's game will seem genteel I'm sure!

Time for the frog search!
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    And I'm in the wars.
    Started off okay. Got the washing going and popped a pie in the oven to cook whilst it's still cool.
    Then things changed.
    Set off with the Bean for a walk and the old leg collapsed again.
    Went down with a crash and my glasses cut my eyebrow and cheekbone before flying off badly scratched.
    No one to pick me up this time. Jilly was so good, she sat and waited whilst I recovered and crawled to my feet.
    Blood dripping down my face and onto hands, clothes and face I made it home to hear the phone ringing. It was a second cousin and he told me my dads cousin (his dad) has died at age 100. Lovely man and a priest with the Anglican Church.
    I only knew of him and met him after I retired. His mother had emigrated to Canada after the First World War. We met twice and exchanged Christmas cards.
    I think it's time to start talking retirement homes with the boys. I am falling far too often.
    Sorry to be such a misery on a bright and sunny day,
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Oh no Anne, I hope you didn't break anything. Do the cuts needs medical care such as an ER?
    Call one of the boys to come and help you, I am so sorry this happened. Take care of yourself.

I am going to Mass this morning so will try and get back later.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    Anne! Dearest friend, I know falling is so scary and the worst is the way it robs our self confidence. If I were in your shoes (I have been in a related situation) change a few things that will make you safer. You could still stay in your little home if you made just a few changes. And in the long run it would be less expensive. You need a cell phone, maybe one of those very basic ones, when you venture out alone. Best to get a doggie walking friend to walk with when you go out. Try not to go out alone, if at all possible. You may need a walker or cane to use as additional support as you go on your walks. Unless you want to move into a retirement home, it just sounds like you need some new glasses, a change in your the way you walk away from your home. In the house, get your laundry moved upstairs, have a handy folding walker for those days when you feel creaky. Have your local builder friend build a ramp with railing to go in and out your back door. I know it may sound expensive but the alternative isn’t inexpensive either. Then there is the issue of your joy and constant companion...JILLY! I know what I am talking about when it comes to compromised mobility. I don’t have nearby family to help. I have John, who is as old as I am. We are determined to live independently for as long as possible. And lastly there is this...you are intelligent , independent, very capable, you have a comfortable little home, an adorable little doggie friend. She would gladly give up her walks if it made you safer. You just need to make a few life adjustments. I just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and understand your anxiety.
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    Oh Anne, I'm so sorry to hear you've had a fall and a nasty one too. If not stitches you might need a strip of that tape that holds things together until mended so if one of the boys offers to take you to ER it might be worth the trip. Before you go getting yourself into some miserable old folks home (just my opinion!) you should get checked over to discover why you are falling because it's not necessarily an age thing is it. Do you use a walking stick? Perhaps a frame on wheels would support you? Even independent old me knows when to take a stick out with me! There are options Anne so please don't write yourself off just yet! <3 Hopefully your pie cooked perfectly so you can pamper yourself with a delicious meal!

Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    So, despite telling them not to, both sons showed up. I'm all dressed up for Canada day with a gash on the eyebrow and a black eye. Hi BUZZ.

Much discussion about what to do with wobbly mother and stairs at the front of the house, stairs at the back of the house and stairs down to the basement. Both sons don't think I'm ready for a state run retirement home. Both seem in favour of Michael converting his condo to make a nice big bed sitter for me and Bean. He has two bathrooms.

I'm not in favour, I don't think I should live with either Michael or Mark. I've seen what living with aged parents can do to marriages, and what if Mike goes that route again one day. I love them dearly and don't want to destroy the relationship we have.

I think that what bothers me the most is the walking outside and being scared to do it. I was galloping along with Beanie this morning and without warning me and the sidewalk got cosy.

I love your caring advice friends but I think I'm too clumsy for a stick, and my friend got all mixed up in her walker and broke her hip. That's very possible with clumsy me. Oh and The washing machine wouldn't work upstairs.

The suggestions you've sent me are so caring and I do thank you.

Everyone seems to think living in Mikes converted condo is the best solution partly because he and I got on for two years when he lived here after his marriage failed.
    But how do I say goodbye to the Apple trees, the wild life, the peonies etc not to mention Harry the Lad, I'd really miss having no Harry to grouse about!!

This needs some serious thinking, grateful thanks to you gals.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Joining the chorus. Anne, I am dreadfully sorry to hear you took a tumble. Lots of great suggestions here. Please consider everything before making such a radical move. You and Jilly are so content in your house. Maybe a few modifications around your house and/or how you do things would provide you the confidence to stay where you are.

I took a spill on the concrete a few years ago and broke up my face, mouth and a tooth not to mention a wrist and shoulder. Things healed up over time. I have an alert button for which I pay a monthly fee but do have someone out there if I press it. They have all my information on electronic file of who to call etc. I thought it important since I am on my own.

Hugs.

Lin
  • linder4866
    Oh, and I don’t use a cane but I do have a walking stick (hiking stick) with a regular tip and you can remove it for venturing out on slippery surfaces. I find it very helpful as well.

Lin