Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,318 Member
    Sandy - I’ve been so busy I missed why you are having problems with your foot. What happened?
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Some gardening was achieved before dinner then around 8pm I headed for the bottom of the garden, lit a bonfire and had a great tidy up. It's still burning gently but nightime caught up with me and I thought it best to come in before the midges got me. A batch of George's lamb food has been made and I'll now put my feet up for half an hour.

Lin, Aldi sell very little in the way of organic produce over here, in fact not much more than carrots and chicken breasts so I'm surprised they are taking such a step in tbe US although they must think there's a market. Reading the newsletter put out by the British hen rescue organisation I get my brown chooks from I was pleased to see in America sales of free range eggs have increased twofold although still some way to go. Not sure if it's concern for caged birds or the obvious fact free range taste better but good news for chooks whatever the reason.

Buzz, here's another strange British political anomaly when it comes to our new Prime Minister... the electorate didn't have a say as we didn't get to vote!! Because Teresa May left mid term only her party got to vote for her replacement so less than 100,000 people inflicted Boris upon us and they are the far right of the Conservative party. The rest of the country are generally middle of the road but are now stuck with Boris who appears to have his Winston Churchill face on this week! Who knows who he will be next week!! If you do mention a possibility of me saying hi to your friends when they visit let them know I'm in South East Cornwall because I'm betting they will be heading to the far West, somewhere like St Ives. I'd still love to meet them if the opportunity arises but dont want to spoil their plans.

Anne, glad to see you have picked up your new glasses and hope your sight is now good enough to get you through your year's wait for the cataract procedures.

Jeri, sitting on the deck with a glass of wine sounds more fun than coffee or tea but I'd never get anything done! 😆

Oh dear Sandy, it's a long process to repair your foot but do follow doctor's orders otherwise you might end up with an even longer wait. At least the boot is off!

Patsy, I really admire your commitment to the cause as you contact politicians about the state of affairs surrounding the orange man.

I'm going to try to get to bed a bit earlier tonight.
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,274 Member
    Sandy - I’ve been so busy I missed why you are having problems with your foot. What happened?

I have a stress fracture Jeri, but I don't know how I did it. It is in the final stages of getting better. ( I think)
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    How did it get so late again? I can't see to get moving but I think I read most posts tonight and actually it's not "tonight" anymore! SANDY, I now you are excellent when it comes to patience, but these stress fractures do have to be catered to! Just a little bit longer to float and read lazily!
    JACKIE, my friends are hoping to get to meet you but did ask for the name of your town. I promised I'd ask. I'm first learning from you about your system and am horrified at how cleverly the Right is taking over this world! Is there any hope left for rational human beings? Today our turtle-faced Senate leader, Mitch McConnell, refused to allow any Senate action on Russian interference in the US elections! So now we trust Russia and Putin as if they have bee best friends? Somebody wake me up from this nightmare, please! Actually, I'm too sleepy to remain awake, but let me ask if anyone here is planning to sign up for Mars?
    <3 Buzz
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello dear ones! BIG NEWS! The official probe has begun to bring about articles of impeachment. Now we know the senate will not vote for impeachment but the inquiry and hearings will be huge and will bring important information out in the public. The house will probably stand pat and that is enough to start the hearings. In the end, I guess we need to trust in our democracy and in our built in checks and balances. It will be brutal and ugly but worth the effort.

Hot and humid tonight. Again! The stores are full of back to school stuff and even some Halloween costumes in Costco. There are no really good books out these days. I stood in Costco at the book table madly hunting for something worth reading. The old time good authors are handing their writing off to newbies in the publishers stable. Not cool! We can tell the difference. Lee Child hasn’t written the last two or three books. Patterson seems to have retired and handed his name over to a couple of young inexperienced high school creative writing students. I know....wahwahwah! Time to re-read some faves.
    Patsy
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    edited July 2019
    That's what I'm doing PATSY, digging out the old Ruth Rendalls, P.D. James, Elizabeth George, Minette Walters etc. Looking at my book shelves I guess I favour women writers.
    Anne.
  • Gawanne35
    Hot, humid and sticky out at 9 am. We are slowly recovering. Phew. Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    Good for you PATSY! When we see the Orange gorilla behind bars, we will know whom to thank~
    I have finally gotten back to reading Ken Follet. His series books have taught me so much, and are now reminding me so much (of what happens when a citizenry is not interested enough!) ...My favorite book of all time I thin is "Pillars of the Earth". It's around a thousand pages, and I hated for it to end! I'm now into the second book of his Century Trilogy, and am cringing at the similarity of Hitler's rise to the Orange Gorilla, who thinks the rules and laws do not apply to him. Thank goodness for PATSY and the rest of our watchdogs who act on these threats to our countries! Too many Boris's and Donalds are rising in this world and Ken Follet is pretty graphic about what happens when we ignore their rise! That old saying about history repeating itself!
    I fially got to bed around 5 this morning and thought I had slept about 5 hours when I wakened, but the clock showed around 2 hours sleep! I had gotten interested in a website for lipstick that promises never to bleed, which is a real annoyance of my mouth! The color runs up into all those wrinkles I was supposed to avoid if I didn't smoke ! Well, mostly I didn't smoke but the red runs up into every crevice so I resemble a clown and this Color the World.com promises to stop that PLUS they donate to many needy animal charities with part of each sale.
    In the meantime Windows did a vast update on my computer for those who have Windows 10! I think I'll go back to bed!
    <3 Buzz
    ......................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About to Happen!...........................

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,365 Member
    Good day. The seminar yesterday was actually quite good and I met several people who come to that meeting each year and had nice chats. That has never happened before. I usually just sit in my place and look around. Oh, and I got there early enough for a back row seat where I could fidget and get up all I wanted. Heavenly. I did come home tired and went to bed early.

I finished the last bit of the birthday card and bagged the gift. I messaged her mom and declined the party but said I would bring the gift to church tomorrow. I may put together a few more cards today then it’s time to decide on the card for the 13 year old girl. Need that one soon.

Laundry is chugging away. Will clean a package of zucchini and sort through the refrigerator to check on what’s hiding in a couple of containers. 😁

Monday is the next seminar. It starts early and I have a 45 minute drive to get there so it will be an early morning. Need to pack a snack for that meeting.

I read all the time. I get several newsletters from local libraries and each highlights new mystery books as well as fiction and non-fiction. The library close to me has dynamic links in the newsletter. I click on a new mystery that I want to checkout, it takes me to a login screen, once that processes I can put the book on hold. When my turn comes up, I get a phone call and go in and pick it up in the hold area. I find lots of books to try. If I don’t like a selection, I just return it. Since cozy mystery is my favorite, there are usually loads of options. I also have TBR books all over the house that I purchased over the years on special offers. Always something to read.

I haven’t been in Costco for a long time. I should make a trip one of these days. I drive out to their gas station but the store is usually not open when I am there.

Oops. Must tend to the washer.

Take care.

Hugs.

Lin
  • linder4866
    edited July 2019
    Still doing laundry. Do any of you enjoy one of these authors?

Elizabeth Berg
    Alexander McCall Smith
    Jacqueline Winspear
    Louise Penny
    Christopher Fowler
    Donna Andrews
    David Rosenfelt
    Craig Johnson
    M. C. Beaton
    Olga Wojtas
    Ovidia Yu
    Sumatra Massey
    Vaseem Khan

And many many more....
  • linder4866
    edited July 2019
    And I just cannot stop. I have many, many books purchased on Amazon, all are “British Library Classics” paperbacks from decades ago, reissued. I have yet to read many of them. I am saving them. 😁. The most recent purchase is “Antidote to Venom” by Freeman Wills Crofts.

Finally I found two paperback books on sale and purchased them although I know nothing about them. Anyone? I hope they are enjoyable. (They are on the shelves with many others waiting a turn.)

“The Body in the Dales” by J. R. Ellis

“The Winemaker’s Secret” by Cynthia Ellingsen

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Goodness Lin, here comes my ignorance because none of those authors names you listed are familiar. Are they all American? Back in the 70's I read Sidney Sheldon and loved his first few novels then rather like some of Patsy's favourites it seemed he found a bad ghost writer and lost me as a fan. These days I tend to read factual books in all sorts of subjects that grab my attention. The current one is The Man Who Broke Into Auschwitz about a British soldier who was a POW in a camp nearby and decided someone needed to witness the horrors and survive to tell what he saw although it took decades for him to revisit in his mind. A friend loaned me the book and said I must read it. Buzz, there's a quote on the back that echoes your comments.... this is a most important book and a timely reminder of the dangers that face any society once Intolerance and racism take hold.

Another day of dog walking and gardening for me while I enjoy my new found freedom from pain that I'll never take for granted.

Buzz, my nearest town is Liskeard about 2 miles away but would be more than happy to drive to meet your friends so long as they have the time. 😉

My lamb burger is ready to eat with salad so I'll wish everyone a happy Saturday.

Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    I haven't heard of any of those authors LIN. Time to do some research! And of the one suggested by you JACKIE,
    Anne.
  • Gawanne35
    Found a book on the iPad, but it's a bit soppy! Aimed at young mothers, definitely not crusty old ladies.
    Sigh.
    Whatever happened to good old fashioned whodunnits with their red herrings?
    Anne
  • linder4866
    edited July 2019
    Want something to chew on Anne, read some Louise Penny books the Inspector Gamache books which take place in Canada.

Or the somewhat crazy Christopher Fowler books about the Peculiar Crimes Unit set in London. Quite bizarre and unique. Bryant & May are the Central characters.

Or the hilarious Agatha Raisin detective books by M. C. Beaton. Also set in England.

How are the new glasses?

Lin
  • linder4866
    And now for something completely different.

A Vaudeville Act. The Pickle Sisters. 🤗🤗

sj8kmkhq3tkl.jpeg
  • Gawanne35
    Mmm. Maybe not so soppy after all, getting a bit troubling this book I'm reading.
    Thanks for the authors names LIN. Duly noted. The glasses are holding out nicely thank you.
  • delraybuzz
    Well, JACKIE, I pasted your town and remark into an email for friends Judy and Gerald and we shall progress from there! Wouldn't it be fun to hear about you 3 meeting for a cuppa?
    I can barely keep my head up tonight as I never went to sleep last night. So let me say g'nite ,a sleep , ,
    <3 Buzz
    ......................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About to Happen!..........................
  • fancyladyJeri
    linder4866 wrote: »
    Still doing laundry. Do any of you enjoy one of these authors?

Elizabeth Berg
    Alexander McCall Smith
    Jacqueline Winspear
    Louise Penny
    Christopher Fowler
    Donna Andrews
    David Rosenfelt
    Craig Johnson
    M. C. Beaton
    Olga Wojtas
    Ovidia Yu
    Sumatra Massey
    Vaseem Khan

And many many more....

Lin, I love reading and new authors. I recognise Jaqueline Winspear, Louise Penny and M.C. Beaton

How about Elizabeth Peters’ Amelia Peabody series. Love those books. Love the characters and the humour. Too bad the author passed away. I listen to them on Audible and the narrator Barbara Rosenblat does such a good job on them. I own all of them and just recently started rereading the whole series. They are the books listen to every night when I go to bed. Comfort books, I guess.

I am listening to The Peacock Summer when I walk now. It’s by Hannah Richel, not too bad. That’s my other passion, listening to books while I exercise.

I’m going to check out your lust of authors. Thanks.

Jeri
  • fancyladyJeri
    Sandy, I have a sore foot also. I was afraid I had a stress fracture too but the X-ray I had shoes it’s not broken. So sick of wearing my runners every where I go. I guess you can tell I’m not dressing up too much. But heck, grey hair, no boobs and running shoes. Everyone thinks I’m that sweet old lady these days. LOL

Jeri