Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    I was just about to click POST when my computer decided to change my desktop, remove my daily tabs and generally make me upset, and I realize it would not help a thing, and I am too tired to rewrite my post, and most of the latest ones are no longer on my computer, so something's happening! Everything else is OK and I'm going to bed :'(
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Drat Buzz, it's beyond frustrating to lose a post so bed is the best option! The little cafe I visited yesterday is quite basic and had quite loud music playing so now my diet is blown out the water I may test another place for tea and cakes and let Judy know.

Anne, George has an over long pallet that often catches in his throat so he has that awful cough. I used to think he was going to choke to death but am used to it now so rub his throat and neck to calm him as much as anything.

Sandy, definitely some people have a very low pain threshhold and I think you know Babe is one of them. The lady in the bed next to me when I had my hip replaced was creating to nurses and doctors for the first 24 hours I thought something must have gone wrong then her family arrived for a visit and she sat up all cheery and finally got out of bed to attempt walking. Ha, they left and she was back to complaining about her pain. I was glad to go home!!

Patsy, how often do I hear that inlaws have banned family from visiting loved ones towards the end of life. My stepmother did the same so I live with the guilt that I didn't try harder. No doubt why I feel I now have to show respect for his home and collection of ornaments. We humans are so damned complicated!

Lin, busy, busy but do take care of that painful foot. Is your little car automatic or gears? Too many peddles to be pushed in the latter but I do prefer to be in control of the gears and decide for myself which I want to be in but of course that doesn't bode well for me ever dealing with one of the modern cars that does it all for you!

George slept on my bed for a while last night but when I checked around 5.30 he was lying on the floor so I made a comfy spot and lifted him back on and he stayed there until I got up. We haven't walked far because it's a beautiful but hot day so just round the block... no number twos so we'll have to go again later! I've washed the area and he's less inclined to keep licking so the painkillers seem to be working, just looks a mess. He's sensibly staying in the cool of the cottage.

Didn't dare weigh myself after all those cakes so will go on the scales reading before I eat them, in other words no change. (Ha! I'll be lucky!)

Coffee nearly finished so I'll get on with some chores. Unfortunately Betty has been naughty in the spare bedroom again so I'll start with a carpet shampoo. Happy Saturday everyone and I hope the sun shines on you all.

Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    We've just been for our walk with me in a light jacket. The first time for weeks! It was very pleasant out with that dusty look that signals late summer and fall on the way.

For such a tiny dog Jilly has an enormously long tongue so I presume she has a long palate as well JACKIE.

What on earth is wrong with MFP this morning! I think I better buzz off because things ain't right.

Anne. 🙃❤️🐶❤️
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,274 Member
    Happy Saturday! :) Beautiful day with temps in the high 70's. Cool right now but will still go sit in the sun at the pool. Next weekend is the last so I have to get what I can.
    Babe sounded a little better today but he is on heavy duty pain pills.
    I did lose a little more weight but it sure takes longer to take off than to put on. UGH.

Anne, Babe's son had a beagle who hacked and like both you and Jackie they just rubbed her throat until she calmed down. I think Daisy did also but she ended up with allergies so is on medicine, at least I think so. :s

Jackie, we all are weak when it comes to food, isn't that why we joined MFP? lol I am going to dinner with friends tomorrow so I will probably gain all that I lost. :(

Buzz, sorry about your post, it is very frustrating.

Lin, presume you are out and about this morning, hopefully some of it is fun.

Patsy, it must be interesting to see all those runner go by your house even if Katie doesn't approve.

Jeri, things going ok?

Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,366 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hello, I am home today. Laundry is finished, online bills paid. Research finished on property taxes in the county where my farm is located as the tax bill hasn’t arrived. Lots of things left to pay that I still pay by check to avoid the add on fees for paying online. I am having a cup of coffee and cooking some green beans for later. Chomp chomp. Need to clean out some bits of leftovers from the refrigerator and see what is left in there that can be made into something.

Sandy, enjoy the pool. The season is really coming to an end. There are football scrimmages and games starting already. Goodness, school just started yesterday! Hope Babe is okay. And Daisy too by the way.

Anne, not jacket weather here today. It is in the high 60’s and sunny. Sounds like a lovely walk today. I refuse to think too much about autumn. A friend has posted so many things about Halloween the last day or so. Oh my. Her favorite holiday. My indication that we are sliding towards the winter season. NOT my favorite.

Jackie, thank you for the update on George. Poor dear, oh my that must have hurt to have the nasty stuff extracted. I had an abscess on my arm once upon a time. Oh my gosh, felt so unwell and it had to be opened and drained. Not my favorite thing. Then it just filled again. At that point I found a way to open it myself to let it drain again. Ended up with quite a lumpy scar in that spot. Heal up little George. Thinking of you. My little car is an automatic but the damaged tendon is on the right leg so must shift that leg from gas to brake. Just cannot find a way, when it is bothering me, to get the right bending angle of that knee to not chafe continually. I may be one of the world’s whiners.

Buzz, sorry you lost your post. Annoying. Facebook keeps crashing for me these days, but I am not usually writing long posts. I have lost some almost finished listings on Marketplace. I find that annoying.

Patsy, are the runners still going by? I hope Katie does not bark the entire time. Hoping you are able to get some rest.

Hugs all round.

Lin
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Saturday is off to a good start! Katie is out cheering on the runners. It is a cloudy day but no rain, thank goodness. This race is very interesting. As you may know, Oregon is home to Nike, Columbia Sportswear, several high tech companies and they all send relay teams. It is a big deal for the corporate competition. They bring in runners from the colleges and past olempics champions. Of course these teams are amazingly fast and they always win. But much is made of everyone who even tries to compete. There are NO losers and everyone is a winner! We see ladies pushing baby carriages as they jog along. Their support car is blaring out funny songs as they go by. I saw Batman but no sign of Superman yet. Dracula was very dramatic with a cape and a slight limp however.

There is a message on my landline left at 6:30 am. I have not had the courage to play the message as yet. I am hoping it is a scam call instead of bad news about my brother. This is the worst way to get bad news. There is no good way but this feels really wrong. My sister in law is dealing with this devastating situation in a extra sad way. We all need to support each other and remember my brother and his efforts for the police department. He is a retired police chief and state drug inforcement officer. If it is his time to go, I hope he has his children and wife at his side to hold his hand and say goodbye.

As the weather cools and autumn says hello, I love the colors and there is a perfume in the air. I think there is a special quality to the light in Indian summer. Hard to describe but I see a golden haze that is so beautiful.

Ordering new bath mats and hand lotion dispenser for my bathroom. Yea Amazon!
    Patsy
  • Gawanne35
    edited August 2019
    I see it's scarecrow festival time in the old country. Donald is a popular entry.
    I once went as a scarecrow to my firms fancy dress ball. Couldn't afford a costume but I'd plenty of old clothes. Just needed straw and a hat, I didn't win. Guess my firm recognized the old clothes as work clothes lol.
    Autumn is just around the corner. I love this time of year and especially loved it in the old country. Churches packed with veggies and corn sheaves and flowers to be distributed to the poor, country fairs and baking contests and who won the best bunch of carrots etc, on the veggie contest stall. The smell of woodsmoke and the crunch of leaves. Everything golden brown and mellow. Already the odd Apple is falling off the Apple tree and threatening to brain poor Bean.

At this point I've decided to tell you another old memory. It will either amuse you all or horrify the faint hearted,
    Every year the same old lad won the Brussels sprouts contest. His sprouts were the biggest and lushest green you have ever seen. No matter how dad and his cronies tried nobody could match this old man's Brussels sprouts. He carted off first prize year after year. Finally he confessed when too old to enter any more. He fertilized them with his and his wife's, what can I say, well you all know by now what he fertilized them with! I wonder if his children and grands knew when they all sat down to Christmas dinner.

I actually got into the garden today. The garden is a mess after such a hot and humid summer. Foot high weeds and long stalks of seed heads on the Siberian lilies, not to mention the day lilies etc. Didn't get much done. Just two big brown garden bags. It's a start. It's pretty wild out there, but the wilderness has attracted tons of butterflies and the migratory Monarch. Oh and the cicadas are back.

Sorry to go on so, but I love beautiful fall.

Anne. 🍂🍁🍁🍁🍂
    Just saw PATSYs post as I posted the above. A very special hug for Patsy.
  • delraybuzz
    Just received a call inviting me to dinner (downstairs in our dining room) so I'd better start getting dressed, as I didn't plan on going down. Talking with others in m age group, we are all mortified at how slowly we seem to move now! Everything takes forever to get to or get done! And I'm spilling things now, which is not usually my habit! Hot coffee on freshly laundered slacks twice yesterday! :s:'(
    PATSY, let us all hope your dear brother goes quickly ad easily! Received a call from my cousin a short time ago in which he wondered if he should feel guilty at his relief at his dear wife's passing last week. I believe his relief was for HER no longer suffering as she had been, and NOT for himself. I had (and often still have) the same feeling about Mike's last evening: relief for his release from despair, despite missing him still! We must learn to accept that passing on is a part of life no one escapes!
    I love autumn, too, ANNE, though it's almost meaningless here in Florida. Peeking out at the beautiful garden yesterday, as I do daily to pay "respects" to the memorial brick I had made for my Mike, I found myself staring into the eyes of a baby iguana staring right back at me! Perhaps that's a sign of autumn as the iguanas have been looking huge lately! I found out people eat them (along with alligators!)
    Well, I just lost ...but regained my post, but no more chances. Sometimes Ctrl+Z works, but most often what's gone is gone!
    Just glad for SANDY's BABE, JACKIE's GEORGE , LIN's foot and all the other better things that have happened and yes, JACKIE, soft music and great tea cakes sound better! Have a super week-end, y'all!
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    Good morning and a happy Sunday Sneakers. I walked the dogs early today before it became too hot and in fact found the moors quite overcast. At least George didn't struggle and Betty had a great time running about. It might be my imagination but she seems to have more energy since she's been eating the kibble I bought at the vets even if she doesn't lose weight! She'll be popped on the scales Tuesday when I drop George back in for a follow up. The hole in his back is beginning to heal so isn't particularly bothering him which is great news for the little man.

The sun is burning through the clouds now and I have lots to do so will get on and hopefully pop back later to see how you're all faring. It could be another shorts day!! B)

Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Busy day for me as well. Michael's coming over because he didn't come on Friday because of the horrendous fiery pileup of a tanker and cars on the approaching highway. He's unaware that I'm going to get him to help me swop mattresses between the two bedrooms. This house is badly designed. The kitchen is next to the main bedroom. The bedroom is also above the noisy furnace, water heater and near the noisy fridge. It doesn't help either that the bed can only be placed between two outlet heat grilles. One in the bedroom and one in the kitchen next to the bedroom door. So between the heat and the noisy appliances it doesn't make for a good nights sleep. Actually the bedroom would be a super dining room for warmth and easy kitchen access. Up to now I've always swapped bedrooms between seasons but it was put off each week last winter. So, briefly, I'm comfy on a nice new mattress in the large hot bedroom but get back ache in the nice cool room and on the old mattress.
    What a carry on eh!
    Jilly will keep a nice safe distance in the back room. Between dungeon tidy ups in Oregon and bedrooms in Ontario Katie and Jillo must wonder about us humans! I haven't told Michael what he's in store for.
    You will understand why a modern young couple might like to tear this hundred year old impractical house down even if I love the old thing.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Hello! Church morning. Need to print off an invoice for supplies I ordered. Forgot to turn on the printer. Another trip upstairs 🤦🏼‍♀️. Will be home this afternoon so I guess a short day for me too.

It is sweatshirt weather this morning according to the weather person. The sun is out right now but they indicate it will be cloudy most of the day.

I ended up watercoloring one tree and cutting it out. Didn’t get to any of the tiny creatures. The tree is okay. I started with that as there was a little tear in the paper close to that tree, didn’t know if it could be saved so used it as many test subject. Turned out okay so onward, hopefully later today.

Buzz, it is so easy to spill things. I was going to make mushroom gravy and I got out my little brush to clean them but did not put on my apron. Oh my gosh, little flecks of mushroom are all over that shirt now, a white shirt with Baby Bella bits. Argh.

Jackie, good news regarding George. Thank goodness. And wow Betty, more energy. That sounds quite good even if she is not losing weight. Feeling good is so important, human or animal. Enjoy the remainder of your day.

Anne, aha, springing a big job on your son. Sneaky! Although I doubt he will put up any resistance to your plan. Poor Jilly, locked away from the action! Take care, out of you, and glad you are getting this sorted.

Sandy, is your pool open today? If so, I hope you get some time there.

Patsy, autumn is beautiful indeed. It is the too cold part that makes me hesitant.

Jeri, hi!

Hugs to all.

Lin

• Sandydur
    edited August 2019
    Happy Sunday! :) Going to mass with Joe and then to breakfast, although I really don't want too since I am going for an early dinner. So much restaurant food is going to kill my diet.
    He enjoys it so much that I haven't the heart to say no. I will come home and ride my bike for an hour to see if that will help.

Lin, the pool is open regular hours on the weekends so I was there with a friend yesterday. No time today although it is a beautiful day. I go to the dermatologist for a full body scan tomorrow so we will see what he thinks about my tan. B)

Anne, is the second bedroom on the first floor? Do you have two floors, my memory is hazy.
    I remember when you changed mattresses another time so I am sure Michael will be more than happy to help.

Jackie, good news on George, he is a little trooper. You might be surprised about Betty's weight, at least I hope so.

Buzz, love those memorial bricks, if it doesn't hurt you to do so maybe snap us a picture.

Patsy, how are you today? Did you listen to your message? I hope you are ok.

Have a good one.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    Still on the housework but did just enjoy a cup of tea on the deck while playing with my phone!!
    qi4pqil6qiz3.jpg

Chicken run finally finished so will now give their house a good clean ready for new arrivals.

AARGH an alert just popped on to my phone giving the result of a cricket match when I was going to watch highlights later!! I hate that 😡🤬

Back later
    Jackie
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Welllllll! Hello little Bunny! Are you having a hippy hoppy kind of day? Too cute, Jackie.

I am doing the Scarlet O’Hara thing for now. There is family drama going on but I am not going to go to Colorado and I am not going to get involved any further. Scarlet would turn her head, close her eyes and say, “I’ll just think about that tomorrow...”. For now, John is rebuilding the deck. He keeps finding rotting deck boards. He took yesterday off. We had a bit of mist and fog. Not great for building weather. Some of this work is on a ladder. I am terrified for him. He is fearless and just hops up on the ladder with a hammer and power tools. I have resisted the urge to yell and scream and tell him this is dangerous. I will count this project as a wonderful success if we get it done without bloodshed.

I think I will make eggplant stir fry today for dinner. I have a lovely eggplant and other great veggies from the local farm co-op. Harvest time here. Anne! Ooooooooh I think I will carefully avoid asking too many questions about the lovely veggies and how they are fertilized. Often it is true, ignorance is bless.

Have a peaceful and happy day dear sneakers.
    Patsy
  • Sandydur
    Love it Jackie!! <3<3<3
  • linder4866
    Hello dear Bunny🐰🐰
  • Gawanne35
    Who's that bunny??!! Keep clear of Mr Fox bunny or keep George the fierce guard dog close by.
    Seriously, I love the new JACKIE! A real hot bun!

Mikes just gone and mission accomplished. Mattresses exchanged, grass cut and Jillo fast asleep after L-O-N-G walkies. I suspect Mike will have a nap as well once home!

Beautiful day here. A perfect summer day of 73 degrees and NO humidity.

We are a sort of raised bungalow SANDY with a finished basement rarely used. So everything on one floor and only the washer and drier downstairs.

Anne. 🐰❤️
  • delraybuzz
    Love it, too! All's well but very busy! My pancake lunch was OK, but definitely not First Watch
    pancakes!
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    Nearly midnight so this big bunny must get to bed. That's a great toy on my phone so I had fun creating all sorts of faces! Apart from that it's been a day of housework, laundry and cutting grass. George continues to repair with the help of antibiotics and pain relief and Betty spent most of the day snoozing and snoring after energetic rushing about during the morning walk.

I'll wish you all a pleasant evening and head in the direction of my bed. Apparently cooler tomorrow so I should achieve some gardening and perhaps get round to hoovering the car inside ready for the drive to London.
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    A sea mist is drifting over us this morning and when I took the dogs on the moors I'm convinced we walked several circles for a stretch when I didn't seem to be getting any closer to the car because I couldn't see much more than the occasional clump of gorse or a few sheep staring at us through the gloom. It's not cold and when the sun does occasionally show itself the temperature shoots up.

Anne, that's a great achievement moving mattresses that I'm sure do get heavier as we get older! These character properties do have their foibles but of course you have imagination so can see the potential with a few alterations, and money of course. When I first moved into my cottage I planned to revert what is currently the sitting room back to the original kitchen diner, the dining room to sitting room and kitchen to utility room but redundancy from a well payed job put an end to those ideas! I might still do it when the money comes through from the house sale although 30 years on and me that much older I'm not sure I could put up with the upheaval!

Buzz, never mind spilling things, yesterday's housework was a trial when I decided to clean the windows and mirrors in the spare bedroom, took the kitchen paper towel roll off its holder but then walked upstairs with the wooden piece that holds it rather than the roll so back downstairs! Then I removed items from the window sill and proceeded to spray furniture polish on the glass rather than the wooden sill.... downstairs I go again, this time to get a bowl of warm water to wash off the polish. I did smile to myself but at the same time wondered where my brain has gone. The commercial radio station I listen to for my 60's to 80's music is running a commercial for a charity that talks rather aggressively of progressive memory loss as if that must be some dreaded disease rather than a few brain cells going AWOL!

Patsy, for sure you are taking the best approach since there is nothing else you can do to comfort your brother. Keep busy and eyes shut when John is up that ladder since he is obviously determined to do the job himself and will no doubt make a grand repair.

Sandy, my diet has definitely gone to pot now. I weighed myself this morning to see I'm at my highest, no doubt all those cakes and I know while in London I will have no control over what I can eat. Perhaps I'll make September 1st my start date!!! Good luck with today's scan. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Lin, how you find time to make your cards I don't know what with everything else going on in your life. A boring book that should be read would probably be at the bottom of my list of priorities too! ;)

Oops, midday so will move on. Happy Monday (a Bank holiday in the UK)
    Jackie