Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,366 Member
    Good day. Off to mail the signed new farm lease and will try to call someone who wants to look at one of my old old pins. Didn’t say he wanted to purchase it so will invest some time in this. Worked on the little critters last night. Got a bit completed. Slow, slow, slow.

It is overcast here today and maybe sprinkles later on. My umbrella is in the car. 🌂

Two of my regular stores are having one day sales today. Frozen foods on sale at one store and a dollars off coupon at the other. Will need to think about that. It might be worth a look.

Jackie, I think we get preoccupied with what to do next, or thinking ahead and then are more prone to the little mishaps you described. I do the same thing. Yesterday I was daydreaming and ended up spraying water around the kitchen as I didn’t hold the container straight under the water tap. Oh my, some drying up to do!

Must move along again. Thinking of all the tiny things I would like to accomplish. Now how much I will actually do? Ah, that is the question.

Hugs dear friends.

Lin
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Hello, just got back from the dishy doc who was looking decidedly bug eyed after a nine hour drive and back from picking his wife up at an American airport.

Despite a 4 lb weight loss, no sugar, no salt and a half hour walk each day my Blood pressure remains sky high. The doc had contacted my last doctor to see what medication she had put me on which caused all the damage and the receptionist insisted I had never been a patient. What!!! He can only surmise they've got rid of all paper records and gone digital. Wants me to go in person! Maybe jog their memories? He's worried about putting me on the same medication which caused so much damage! Meanwhile I will have to take something eventually in case I suddenly fall off my twig. I can't believe I'm still walking around with such high numbers and for such a long time. I feel perfectly fine apart from the cataracts which I can't have removed just yet.

So what with a deformed arm from a badly set wrist, a blind spot in my eye, etc etc, you can see my opinion of doctors over here is at rock bottom, or have I just been unlucky.?

I'm wondering if Mark is a little worried about tearing the old homestead down after consulting an architect with Derek, his son, and my grandson. He mentioned today no one was kicking me out. I told him I was okay setting off on a new adventure. Maybe the cost of building is making HIM bug eyed like the dishy doc? Who knows, I shall just sit back and see what unfolds.

Anne, still perched on her twig.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,274 Member
    Happy Monday!! Body check went well no cancer just a few sunspots that he will remove when I get back from visiting my son and his wife. He said there will be a scab so I asked to wait until after next pool weekend and my trip with Bryanna. No hurry he said.
    Then I went grocery shopping and soon I may try to take a nap because I just couldn't sleep in and woke up early for no good reason. Ugh.

Anne, great on the weight loss but sorry about your blood pressure. Better to be safe with a medication than to worry about a stroke or heart attack. I do hope the old doctor remembers what he gave you. It is very expensive to do a tear down and rebuild and with your house almost being historic it might be better to save it.

Lin, we have your weather with on and off rain. I hope you get all that you want accomplished.

Jackie, I can't tell you how many times I go into a room to get something and forget what it is when I get there. Too many things on our minds is my excuse.

Patsy, hope the race is over and you are getting some peace and quiet.

Buzz, I hope you are feeling better each day.

Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Holy Cow! My eyes would not shut last night. I lied in bed thinking and trying not to think! Sleep would not come. Katie, however, has not problem sleeping is was up and ready to start her day at her usual 7:30. John needed an extra hour of sleep. So here I am bleary eyed and barely functional. I told John, I am glad I would not be required to do brain surgery or rocket science today. Just walking around loading the dish washer and doing a load of laundry is challenging.

There does seem to be a totally different philosophy in the medical practice in Canada vs US. I would never really say ours is better. Some people luck out and get good care but certainly not everyone. My doctor is barely okay. But that said, there is blood pressure meds that can help and not hinder a good healthy late life. Both John and I take lisinapril. Low dose, it only causes a drowsy feeling as a side effect. We take ours at night. John has the biggest issue with high blood pressure and his is totally controlled with this low dose med. so! Take heart Anne! There is help for you out there. Also this is a generic drug and low cost.

The race is over and I think everyone had a good time. No incidents or problems. Always a worry, racing in warm weather.
    Patsy

• Sandydur
    It is National Dog Day on Facebook today.....so even though I don't see her much, she is still my baby. <3
    jwcmp6jqxz1v.jpg
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Somehow, it got to be late again! Just a few comments:
    ANNE, I do the same as PATSY for my BP medication (mine is Atenalol). I found it works better when I take it at night. The next day it measures lower!
    JACKIE and LIN, thanks for lifting my spilly spirits! I'm in good company!
    SANDY, she's a huge adorable love! And happy about your medical report.
    OK, making all sorts of typing errors, so I'm off to sleep, ZZzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Happy National dog day Beautiful Daisy!
    George apologises for being AWOL. He may have slept through most of it!
    ovdbonca5wqs.jpg
  • Gawanne35
    edited August 2019
    WHAT! Happy dogs day!! Did I miss it!! Jilly Bean.

• Gawanne35
    gprkxy1cmq06.jpg
  • Gawanne35
    Lovely surprise for me yesterday afternoon. Darren. Catherine, and the little girls came to see me before they fly back to the old country......permanently. As you can imagine I'm sad about this, but they all looked so healthy and happy and the girls had grown like weeds. Darren loves his job and they live with Catherine's parents at the moment in a huge house and they all get on, but what put the icing on the cake, Cs great aunt has died and left them her house in the same town as Catherine's parents and Darren's work. They all love the slower life style and tea and bun breaks during working hours. No grabbing a coffee from a vending machine to drink at your desk etc. The girls were behind at school, but with special tuition are catching up with the British kids. I am very happy for them but couldn't resist asking if they would like a "rent a granny" in their soon to be renovated aunties house.
    Darren had done his job earlier on a six month fill in if you remember, but when the employee came back to work he found he couldn't continue because of ill health, so Darren was offered his job. Darren said even though he'd been back in Canada for eighteen months, on his return everyone greeted him as if he'd been only gone for the weekend. Yes, they've found their niche.
    Oh, and I mentioned I had grocery delivery now and they said it was commonplace in GB with all grocery stores delivering in their town anyway. They use Sainsbury Jackie.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    edited August 2019
    Ahh, Miss Jilly with the sparkling eyes! George and Betty send best woofs. 🐶🐕

Oh Anne, I hope your neighbours heading back to the old country doesn't unsettle you too much. The pace is certainly more relaxed and as you know, any excuse for a tea break! Sad that Auntie passed but how sweet she left her house to her niece because property in most counties is an extortionate price.
    Yes supermarket deliveries galore... just waiting for M&S to join in!!

I'm about to take George for his follow up vet check and am also doing my best to get prepared for my long drive to London in the morning. Brady appears to have been in a battle overnight but not bad enough to require the vet's attention thank goodness. Bad enough I have to ask neighbours to administer antibiotics to George!

I'll check back once I've done all I need today but not sure I'll get a signal at my dad's house so may then be out of touch until Friday.

Happy Tuesday 😍
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Terribly unsettled JACKIE ! But I'll get over it. However...... Have one small dog in a carrier, will travel......if I ever get the chance! My lovely old friend Penny, originally from London, and with that particular cockney cheeriness and humour yearned for the old country in her later years (nineties) but I shall endeavour to be grateful for what I have and for what I've seen. Isn't it funny how humans and animals all yearn for their birth place? I'm thinking elephants.

Do be careful on your journey tomorrow. George, Betty, and the puss cats, your friends and all of us on Sneakers care for you. You are our favourite bunny
    Fondly, Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,366 Member
    edited August 2019
    Good morning. Mah Jongg morning and a few errands on tap. Yesterday I met a gentleman and sold a couple of very old pins. I decided to skip the sales at the stores I mentioned. Got the lease renewal mailed, stopped at the library and back home. Lunch and a trip to the credit union yesterday afternoon. I had something packed and ready and leave to meet a lady for a sale when I got a message saying she couldn’t make it. And then she disappeared. Didn’t reschedule. Sigh. Tired of this. Not a way for me to make buckets of cash. Haaaaa.

I did make some progress on the little card critters last night. Not a lot but a bit. Also had a lovely long soak of my tootsies again as I read a book. Such a nice habit. The every other day foot soak with warm water and epsom salts. A nice outcome from my reflexology visits.

Thanks for all the doggie photos. I enjoyed them.

Anne, I am sorry Darren and his family are going for good. They were lovely neighbors but what a happy place for them. I think we all would like to be visiting grannies.

Jackie, a busy day for you a long trip upcoming. I hope you can grab some rest before tomorrow. Grab everything that you want (and that the others agree with). This is the only opportunity and all will be gone. Or at least take some photos as memories. I have a USB stick with photos of my parents acreage, inside and outside of house, flowers, trees etc. I like to look at the photos from time to time. George, dear one, I hope the follow up visit has gone well.

Buzz, I did some me reading on CCRC. It seems a number of facilities in this area are calling themselves that but but vary wildly in age and reputation. I don’t trust the finances of any of them. No details on the entrance fees but generally I am given to understand that the proceeds from sale of your home may not be enough to cover them with monthly costs of thousands of dollars. I am afraid that doesn’t sound really great to me, but I don’t want to press for any details as then salesman will call! Again, your community must be in the top tier of communities nationwide. That is wonderful.

Sandy, good news on you ur dermatologist appointment. Yippee!

Patsy, good morning. Did Katie have a good doggie day yesterday?

Must run. Always late.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    Just received this one and "Woe is me", thought I'd share it with you "Younger Ones!"

Lost Words From Our Childhood

Mergatroyd! Do you remember that word? Would you believe the spell-checker did not recognize the word Mergatroyd? Heavens to Mergatroyd!
    The other day a not so elderly (I say 75) lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy; and he looked at her quizzically and said, "What the heck is a Jalopy?" He had never heard of the word jalopy! She knew she was old ... But not that old.
    Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle.
    About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology. These phrases included: Don't touch that dial, Carbon copy, You sound like a broken record, and Hung out to dry.
    Back in the olden days we had a lot of moxie . We'd put on our best bib and tucker , to straighten up and fly right. .. Heavens to Betsy! Gee whillikers! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy Moley!
    We were in like Flynn and living the life of Riley ; and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!
    Back in the olden days, life used to be swell, but when's the last time anything was swell? Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes, and pedal pushers.
    Oh, my aching back! Kilroy was here, but he isn't anymore.
    We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" Or, "This is a fine kettle of fish!" We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent, as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.
    Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind. We blink, and they're gone. Where have all those great phrases gone?

Long gone: Pshaw,

Did these "Strike a bell" to any of you? I received this from someone 12 years younger than I!
    <3 Buzz
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Good morning everyone! We are to have a very very hot day here. There is a special fire warning for the next few days. Very low humidity and drying hot winds here on the coast and the foothills. Extremely dangerous! Any fire would race through 100 ft. Tall forest tress with houses in amongst the tress. We always have tourists who seem oblivious to the signs everywhere. Fingers crossed and holding our breath!!!!!!

Lovely photos of the fur babies. Katie and I were totally unaware of dog day. Yesterday I was just operating at a very low speed. Kind of walking around in a fog all day because of my sleepless night.

I will spend most of the day downstairs. I do have a lot to do on that floor. I need to clean our sons room and his bathroom as well as the TV room down there. He will be coming with his girlfriend in a couple of weeks. It is much cooler down there. It is sort of a basement but it is built into a hill. There is one whole side of that floor with a ground level.. it has Windows and outside entrance and a concrete patio. Too much house for us two oldies. But John loves it here. We are having a chair lift installed to make it easier to go from floor to floor.

So far, we have not enjoyed home delivery. I think John really enjoys getting out and shopping. I am not a shopper! I would take advantage of the home delivery. However, as long as John is so willing and able to help me, I will continue my Costco and Walmart shopping. I have noticed that the customers in Costco are mainly older people. Odd really! Everything is sold in such huge quantity. We like to share with our daughter whenever we buy something that only comes in giant containers.

Stay cool!
    Patsy
  • Gawanne35
    Oh yes, it struck many bells along with 'bats in the belfry". Super post BUZZ.
  • Sandydur
    Happy Tuesday! :) Beautiful day and Tuesdays are my sitting days. They have volleyball tonight so it will be a late night. Did I mention the Picture People compromised with us keeping the original CD with all the pictures and they will give us a free shoot on Friday with a package of one shot. We will no doubt spend extra money because Lisa did not like Robby's school picture so if she wants new pictures of Charlie it will be extra.

Saturday is Babe's 80th Birthday but he said no to my invitation to celebrate with either lunch or dinner. He said he wouldn't be able to sit through it with his dizziness. We all know the real reason but I accept it even though it hurts a little.

Jackie, have a safe trip and I hope all goes well. We will miss you in no wifi.

Have a great day everyone.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    Everything achieved so winding down for an early night by my standards. Dear George still had some puss in the wound so was taken to a back room for more cleaning. Apparently he behaved which I'm guessing means he didn't bite the vet this time! A squeezy gel has been added to the medication but really, a waste of time since he licks it off as fast as I squirt it on! Betty was placed on the scales and no change again... ha, join the club Betty Boop!

So, off to the big city in the morning where my school friend I'll be staying with tells me it's unbearable in the sticky heat. My shorts have been packed but will I dare to wear them?

Please all, take care of yourselves and I'll hopefully be back Friday with a loaded car! Yes Lin you're right, my one chance to collect what I might want and the rest I can take to a charity shop.

💖Jackie
  • delraybuzz
    edited August 2019
    OMG! This was such a complicated post to lose, as I finally figured out how to use the iPhone camera and then get them on here and POOF, as I was signing off, it disappeared! :'(
    JACKIE, an easy, cool visit, and a good settlement!
    LIN, yes, unfortunately very few of the CCRCs are non-profit! My ACTS group is one of the top!
    PATSY, your place sounds beautiful and we all wish you freedom from thoughtless tourists!
    ANNE, with your complicated life, thank you for taking time to read my blurb on changing language!
    SANDY, happy birthday to BABE, and here is the brick (and surrounding Garden) I bought in Mike's (birth name was Meyer) memory. Our money goes for scholarships for our dining room server staff, high school and college kids!

I stop here to say hello every day!
    d7p0uo0fzgcq.jpg
    cv2s529tmp9e.jpg
    A view of the Garden and brick memorial path (with a tiny lake in the back)
    <3 Buzz
    ........................Always Believe Something Wonderful is About To Happen............................

• delraybuzz
    edited August 2019
    Wrong again, but using the PREVIEW button, the following post shows more of the garden. Wish I had gotten the flowering trees!
    Buzz