Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,274 Member
    Anne, I agree with Lin. Look under the sink for a water shutoff.
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    edited March 2020
    Not to worry LIN, the bathroom is quite close to the kitchen, so I can wash pans in there. The dishwasher is almost as old as me and I rarely use it, but as I don't want michael driving over on a long working day and Marks in home quarantine I will. We don't think a plumber will come out because Trudeau's just been on asking us all to stay in our homes if we can. He's closed the borders to non residents.
    I'm trying to get Mike to take a four week vacation.
    There's nothing else on our TV except the dreaded virus, it is all very serious and worse than we all thought.
    Anne.
  • Gawanne35
    You just came through SANDY and thanks for advice. I'll be okay now after the initial shock and mop up.
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello dearest ones! A beautiful sunny day here. All this sunshine to help clean the air and help heal our spirits. I am trying not to panic but I have to relate a funny thing I read in our Oregon news. There was a news story from Newport, Oregon. The police were asking people NOT to call 911 emergency calls for toilet paper. Hummmmmm now that is an emergency!!!

Thanks Jackie for your email. We are intelligent, tough and strong in our own way. I am see how much we help each other by passing along info and also lending an ear to listen to our concerns. How lucky we all are to have such dear friends.

I am starting my spring cleaning in the kitchen. Waxing the fronts of cabinet doors, cleaning out drawers, discarding old sad looking dish towels etc. this must be some sort of primitive urge with the increase in sunlight and approaching spring.

Sandy: I fear that I will always be thinking and philosophizing. It is always something I do. I think it is because I am usually alone while working in my dungeon. “Yon Patsy is a dangerous woman, she thinks too much!” With great apologies to Shakespeare.

Anne: I can’t tell you how many times I have been in your shoes. Plumbing issues are the worst. Bathroom plumbing can drive a person truly batty. I have been known to eat out of the pan rather than dirty another dish. This is a confession I rarely admit to..

Lin: eating up frozen veggies and fruits is a good idea because as you know they lose their nutritional value after a time. Not as tasty however. But we are a thrifty buch of ladies, aren’t we?

Buzz: dear independent fierce darling that you are, accept a bit of help now and then. Save your strength to chat with us! Maybe having your cleaning helper come an extra time to assist in some way. There are strategies that can help but not be intrusive.

These are scary times but we will come through it just fine if we do the hard thing and stay out of harms way. Let this virus die for lack of a host.
    Patsy☘️
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited March 2020
    Good morning sneakers. In spite of a forecast offering at least 3 dry days I awoke to rain... grrr 😖 Once again I could hear myself muttering at the squelching mud as I walked George and Betty across the moors and feel this awful weather has gone on forever.... I suppose it has!
    It’s already lunchtime so I’m planning to make carrot soup then pay online for the new car and sort out a new insurance package. Dear George needs to be brushed within an inch of his life too if he will let me (he probably won’t!!) because his groomer is booked for tomorrow and I always feel terribly embarrassed if a single knot is discovered and at the moment there are many because it’s so messy underfoot.... excuses! 🙃😉

Apparently there are new Corona hoaxes going on you may already be aware of. One offers a tax rebate to help with finances when of course they are after personal details. Another says they have a secret cure... duh!! but the 3rd dangerous one looks like it is from WHO with advice but don’t click on the website because it will download a nasty Trojan that recognises every key you tap so get into bank accounts etc. My friend did tell me yesterday with a very serious face and nod that I should only listen to the WHO advice which says a lot about what’s happening but visit their site so you know it’s the real organisation.

Stay safe everyone.
    🥰 Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,365 Member
    Good day. We have sunshine today. I am taking advantage of it as is everyone else I suspect. I am off for some fresh vegetables and fruits. Going to a store where I would also purchase frozen veggies and yogurt so hopefully will find something.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day 💚💚☘️☘️💚💚

A bit of a giggle.

uyczz0anl3bk.jpeg

Back later my friends.

Lin
  • Gawanne35
    Not much to report here.
    Ford, our premier has shut down everything to do with entertainment plus.
    Derek and Bev who came back earlier than Mark and Mary Jo from Florida okay, but now in quarantine because someone tested positive in their Toronto highrise.
    Mark and Mary Jo still in quarantine.
    Michael continues to work.
    And the Grocery delivery service is so flooded and overwhelmed with orders I can't order this weeks groceries.
    I appear to be in the best shape, go figure!
    I'm Coping between dish washer, bathroom wash basin and a bucket under the sink as no plumbers are out and about.
    Back to the good old days.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,274 Member
    edited March 2020
    Happy Tuesday! :) The lockdown continues with me forgetting I can't eat nuts so unpleasant morning. Will be more careful with what I eat when bored. Two friends who live together have invited me and another friend for dinner on Friday. Since the guidelines are 10 I feel safe in going there to get out for a little while. I even checked in with Rob and Lisa to see if they approve. I probably won't go to my meeting since we usually have around 20 people, they do have online meetings.

Anne, I am sorry Derek and Bev are in quarantine, Mark and Mary Jo are not are they? I still think my trip to Florida will be cancelled unless a miracle happens soon. So you have no one to fix your leak or deliver your groceries? My daughter had groceries delivered to her dad through Grub Hub after the first place cancelled on her. Strange times.

Lin, cute picture and Happy St. Paddy's Day to you as well. Lots of parties and gathering cancelled but I am happy about that. Good luck finding what you need at the grocery store.

Jackie, I don't know if I could handle all that rain especially being confined to my home, it is depressing enough. I used to do the same with Daisy when she had a grooming appointment.
    Yes, so many hoaxes and mistruths going around, don't click on any links. Beware of anyone saying they need any or all information from you. We get an update daily from our governor so I get my information from him.

Patsy, yes, scary times indeed but we will prevail as we have all our lives, with the good and the bad. Just wasn't happy to hear it could last as long as July or August so I hope they find something fast for the sake of all the businesses closed down.

Have a good day everyone.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    ☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!
    ☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🥤🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻fixing an Irish dinner and listening to Celtic music. Not quite as much fun as a get together with friends but still a lovely tradition. Are we supposed to avoid kissing and hugging our spouses? On St. Paddy’s Day? Seriously? This virus is truly annoying! Trying to keep our distance from everyone, but needed to go to post office. We went after the regular business hours. The PO building is open 24 hours a day. We get our mail at a PO Box. That worked out just fine. I think things will readjust as we get a handle on this virus. A Seattle woman has had the first test shot in researching a preventative.. So far it is looking good. Think positive and keep your distances.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    edited March 2020
    Back home. Everything put away and surfaces cleaned...again.

Well, there were 10 people waiting for the doors to be unlocked. Most people waited in their cars and filed in with good distances between people. Except for a couple tromping about with their face masks on. Anyway, I got cherry tomatoes, a couple of tangelos and a few bananas. No frozen fruits or vegetables in the coolers. Then of course I bought a few other things of course, another carton of yogurt, a package of granola—one I have wanted to try but never found before, and some elderberry syrup. Again, hadn’t seen that on the shelf before.

Tomorrow, my prescription and maybe I will find a package of tiny carrots and maybe zucchini? We will see.

Happy to be home. Our state government just issued another emergency proclamation and if I read it properly, there will not be any church services as only groups of 10 or fewer people are allowed indefinitely. I heard Costco is starting to limit the number of people in the store at a time and are setting limits on some products.

Sandy, I hope the weather gets better and I can go for a walk around the neighborhood one of these days. We have crummy sidewalks though so have to look down all the time. 😉 maybe you can get out on your balcony more often?

Anne, oh my gosh, no grocery order? People really are trying to stay home. A lady in Iowa posted on Facebook that she tried to order groceries through Walmart so she could send someone to pick them up. BUT more than half of the items she tried to buy are out of stock. Darn it.

Jackie, life is more like fiction these days but I will be on guard for scams. Thanks for the reminder. You are still the most productive person! I am amazed.

Patsy, keep on keeping on my friend. Good attitude! I would love to see any glittery creations of yours. 😉

I did get back to cutting out little bits of paper to make more gnomes at some point in the future. I know, how exciting.

Wishing everyone good health and some smiles. 🙋🏼‍♀️

Lin
  • linder4866
    sxkq4ojiubd6.jpeg

Appropriate for the day?
  • Gawanne35
    Yes, four out of the six of us in quarantine. Mary Jo's sniffles appear to be her sinus's though so nobody's got the virus yet. Michael still at work dealing with the public and I still can't order groceries. I guess these stay at home enforcements bring out our personalities! The gregarious and social climbing up the walls, while old miseries like me perfectly happy for the peace and quiet and a book.
    All religions services are cancelled.

I had the leftover Sheep herders pie for lunch and it tasted even better than the day before! Definitely make again!
    My next try from this old book will probably be Onion, Bacon and Cheese Pie which looks like a quiche on the illustration. That's if I can get an order delivered for cheese.
    All the recipes date from the 1700s.

So I'll bid thee all farewell having nothing interesting to say,
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    As most people order from Amazon. Here’s a bit of information they posted today.

“As a global company, we’re closely monitoring the impact of COVID-19. In addition to the thousands who are affected by the illness, thousands more are indirectly dealing with changes in their work, school, and community environments. Here are some of the ways Amazon is supporting customers, communities, and employees during this difficult time.

Serving our customers
    We believe our role serving customers and the community during this time is a critical one, and we want to make sure our customers can get the items they need, when they need them. As COVID-19 has spread, we've recently seen an increase in people shopping online which has had an impact on how we serve our customers. So in the short term, we are making the decision to temporarily prioritize household staples, medical supplies and other high demand products coming into our fulfillment centers so we can more quickly receive, restock and ship these products to customers. We are working around the clock with our selling partners to ensure availability of these essential products, and continue to bring on additional capacity to deliver customer orders.
    March 17, 2020.”
  • linder4866
    So if you want something frivolous, be prepared to wait 🤔
  • pinkperil
    As much as I dislike Amazon I have this evening ordered a couple of items, most importantly new gardening gloves and you are right Lin, nearly 2 weeks wait. 😖
    Also spent time doing my first ever online basic grocery stock up with a supermarket but no home delivery available any time, any day so have opted for click and collect on the 31st which is first available day. Lots not available!! Will have to drive 16 miles but didn’t feel I should do nothing in case the crazy hoarding continues. Just one pack of loo rolls, promise! 🙃

I feel worn out like I spent an hour walking the aisles so off to bed.
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Love the Irish clover tea set including knife handles. Is that green sugar lumps too? Wonder what that does to the tea! 🤢
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Your posts and emails keep me going, dear wonderful friends! I Literally "kvell" ( the word kvell is derived from Yiddish kveln, meaning "to be delighted, to be extraordinarily pleased; especially, to be bursting," which, in turn, comes from the Middle High German word quellen, meaning "to well, gush, or swell.") as I read your daily input, feeling extraordinarily fortunate to be part of our so special "family"! It will be even more so now that my Community and much of the state has gone into "quarantine", with the Governor or legislature declaring no group gatherings, no restaurants serving meals (only take-outs), no this or that, and of course my place no longer allows outside visitors! No dining room or Bistro service, all food will be delivered to our apartments! I think they are supplying lunches, according to the latest message. Latest rumors are a minimum of 6 months! How anyone can predict anything about this world-wide disaster amazes me!
    Still, I am able to get my Physical Therapy, which has moved to the Gym instead of the nursing floor. Today, "Tammy" guided me through slow interval use of one of the leg machines, then, minus chair or walker, but attached to a belt which she held, took me outdoorsfor a walk to the pool, directing me away from falling off the right edge of the path, toward which I kept veering! She insists she will have me back to walking without even a walker! And she told me not to rush regular use of gym equipment until she says OK! We have incredible equipment, the only problem being the people who insist on turning the TV onto FOX while exercising! I finished my appointments today exhilarated despite 2 sleepless nights, thanks to a combination of gout, arthritis and lymphedema! I;m hoping tonight will be less painful!
    A very belated Happy St Patrick's Day to all (Today we were ALL Irish!) and I'm off to bed wishing for at least a few hours deep sleep...
    <3 Buzz
    .................................Always Believe Something Wonderful is About to Happen!.....................................................
  • Gawanne35
    Hello ladies, sombre news from me. They say things come in threes and for me I guess like all of you I am confined to quarters but I can't get food delivery because the delivery service is swamped with calls and there's a message saying all delivery is suspended for the time being.
    I can live with that.
    Then the kitchen flood and no plumbers on call.
    I can live with that, but then the third thing.
    My cousin Helen in Australia phoned to let us know that her 56 year old SIL was doing a jigsaw with his young daughter when he started vomiting. Rushed to the hospital, he died in the ambulance on the way. A heart attack. He was a firefighter and appeared to be in robust health.
    He was approximately the same age as my Michael and Mark.
    So.....enjoy every precious day. We don't know what tomorrow could bring.
    Anne.
  • Gawanne35
    I've finally got through to my delivery service....but they can't deliver before Saturday 28th!!!!

Took the bean out, not a single person to be seen! Just robins and squirrels. One car in the distance.
    Talk about a ghost town.

Anne
  • jwubben6600
    Looks like a very overcast day. Cold and damp. It might become more hospitable later but right now , things look extremely winterish.

Anne: I am so sorry to hear about your Australian family loss. It does look like you have had your share of bad news. My friend, we know you are inventive and really quite strong. These adversities will sort out but I am sorry everything happened at once. I feel certain you could begin your life with Mike in the condo but as I said you are strong and inventive. The answer will appear. We need you and Jilly to be safe, warm and dry. I will be thinking of you both and sending you positive thoughts. I am terrified for us all. But if we can weather this virus for a few more months, I think we are strong enough to handle anything. We are senior golden sneakers, after all!

Buzz: it is delightful to get your post. While we understand sleepless painful nights are miserable, it sounds like your PT will be your most effective medicine. We are all forced into isolation. I have noticed that exercise is the thing that takes away that anxious feeling. I am hanging on to my ballet bar as I exercise. We will be okay but we need human contact, even if it is over the Internet. We are with you dear Buzz, every step of the way!

Hello to thoughtful Lin, beautiful Sandy, and wonderful and wise Jackie. Hello all other sneakers. Everyone remain safe. We are counting on you.
    Patsy☘️