Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51944780#share-tools

Here we are ladies, an upside to the virus and in a very short period of time! Let’s hope when we’ve moved on to better, healthier times we won’t go back to the bad old ways.... of course someone will call it fake news!
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,365 Member
    I believe it Jackie. When people seen out driving cars and manufacturing and other activities are scaled back, it makes a huge difference. We will be back to our old ways soon enough, I think.
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    edited March 2020
    I know! That's the marvellous news. Mother Natures had enough. She's attempting to right the planet.
    Even the waterways are getting cleaner! I read Venice water is cleaning up with all the tourists gone.
    Meanwhile, Michael who works from I pm to 9 pm phoned me on his way home from work. His firm will close at 6 pm for now.
    I hope big business learns a very important lesson. Meanwhile, it's so quiet here! No squirrels and bunnies squashed on the road, the robins out peacefully looking for worms. I pray there are no more deaths but on the upside, alls well with the natural world......or getting there.
    Anne.
    P.S. Going back to cloth shopping bags that's all we used in the UK anyway, or wicker baskets before plastic was invented.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    HMMmmmmm! I do recall way back when....Work hours were going to cut down to 35 hours a week, More weeks vacation per year and more leisure time and then came the cell phones, businesses required more work, longer hours and constant communication, even on holiday, and WHERE DID WE IDIOTS AGREE TO ALL THAT?
    I have just lost my favorite TV channels while FOX is readily available! And speaking to my cousin living in a similar setup near Boston, his meals are delivered every 3 days while mine come daily, so I cannot complain about a single thing! I am terribly swollen and must get my legs up, so after catching up with everyone's latest, I want to give my regrets for the younger crowd who cannot grasp the possibilities, my thanks to JACKIE for sharing that link, and my best wishes to everybody that we all stay well and perhaps accomplish those things we never find time for! ANNE, how's that shin doing? And SANDY, you could NEVER look bad! PATSY, you attract the world's most interesting people and that's a hoot about designing tarot cards! Wasn't Reagan's wife involved in that somehow? Anyway, Legs won't let me stay at my desk so have a good night dear friends...

<3 Buzz
    .................................Always Believe Something Wonderful is About to Happen!....................................................
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Crikey, I took my life in my hands visiting our local Aldi store this morning! Luckily, assuming there would be madness as the doors were unlocked I waited until 8.30 to leave home and thank goodness because when I arrived in the car park it was full of people rushing out of the store with overloaded trolleys. Meat wasn't on my list as I don't eat much these days and just as well because that first mob had cleared those shelves completely and the chilled section of processed meals whereas the veggies and salad aisles were full and inviting. I did my best to keep a distance from people but seemed to be the only person bothering and then in the queue, the man in front of me kept pushing back past me to pick up another item. Four times he did that and each time had his face within inches of mine so I was thinking if he did it again I would cough in his face just for fun!!! Outside a young man was bragging to someone that he had managed to buy extra loo rolls because the limit of 2 per customer was on pack sizes so he had bought 2 of each pack size so look mate, I've got 4!! Haha... if he had opened his eyes he would have seen the shelves stacked high with TP, in fact there was so much it had spread into the kitchen rolls section, something I wanted but couldn't find!

No more supermarket plastic bags on show here so we all have our own in a variety of materials and they've become a handy birthday or Christmas present item to give. Lots of complaining at first but we've slotted into this way of life now and apparently save millions of bags from floating round the planet or stuffing up landfill.

So back home I've paid some bills, chased the ever illusive car dealer for another where's my car conversation (still waiting for him to call me back!) and received a phone call from the vet practice to let me know Betty's food has arrived but checking I dont have Corona virus! Thank goodness for George and Betty who get me out for a relaxing walk and calm down time!

A clairvoyant and his partner moved into a property at the end of the track that runs from my cottage to the road and is apparently into Tarot cards but I haven't felt the need to visit so far! I don't see many cars in and out of there either so not a money spinner! What good fun for you Patsy although I don't think I'd want a reading just in case!!

It's a bright day with a very keen wind so my neighbour and I will visit the allotments at 4pm to make plans.... finally!

Happy Friday dear Sneakers. As ever, stay safe and well. <3<3
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    I'm just waiting for Michael to arrive with a shared pack of eggs and a shared bag of spuds.

I have to wait another 8 days for my delivery order and just saw on the news it is advised that people don't go to stores but rely on delivery services instead for one on ones.

This seems to me unfair advice for us older folk who are not supposed to use buses or taxis, don't have cars for a quick hop to Walmart or whatever, but are now shoved into long wait times for food.

Oh and I phoned my bank and a voice informed me that they are flooded with calls from folk who want to defer their mortgage because they are no longer working and the gvt. says they can.

Early thoughts from me.

Mikes arrived judging by the joyful squeaking from you know who!

Hugs, long distance to you all from me,
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,274 Member
    Happy Friday! :) Laundry started, same weekly routine. Cloudy outside, I just wish the sun and warmer weather could come out so that I can sit on my balcony and maybe start a song fest like they do in Italy. <3 Bryanna came with her mom yesterday to bring me more wine ( I have enough through July I think) and to check up on me. Bryanna is so diligent in spraying things with Lysol and washing her hands as soon as she comes in my house.
    I am really missing the kids but I do facetime every afternoon. We will survive this if everyone does their part and hopefully before July. :(

Babe goes to his heart doctor this afternoon, we will see what is the next step since his heart rate is still going sky high. Maybe they will give him a pacemaker but we will see.

I might even start cleaning my own house because I don't want my cleaning girl to come here.
    What a novelty. :D

If I start answering myself am I in trouble???

Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Beautiful sunny but chilly day. I am wiping down kitchen counters with alcohol. That and all the hand washing has really dried out my fingernails and my hands are dry and chapped.

I keep hearing that we will need to live a bit different for at least a year. I am trying to imagine how that would look. I guess we will be okay. We need to stay as healthy as possible. So I am on a mission to try to kill as many germs and viruses as I can. I will probably end up with some lung problem related to breathing too much soap/sanitizers/alcohol. Seriously! I need to calm down!

I guess I will go ahead and work on the graphics for the tarot cards. It is fun to research the meanings for each of the cards and plan a design. I wish they could be used as regular playing cards. The woman who does these readings is sort of scary. I never want to meet her in person. Distraction with a project is very helpful for me. John is working on taxes and straightening up our pantry area. We seem to have an extraordinary amount of doggie related food, treats, grooming and medical supplies. Lots of extra leashes and collars of different sizes. Also doggie blankets, toys and extra doggie beds for when our son and his dogs come to visit. It is a massive project.

Take good care my dears.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    edited March 2020
    Hello. I have been here but got caught up in looking for something, which lead to sorting through things and then some banking issues.

Anyway, I am here, it is cold but we have sunshine. Wahoo!

My main bank has had online banking go down with no repair estimate so I phoned my branch and had them transfer some money to my checking account. Since they will be closed until next Monday, it seemed like a good thing to do since I need to pay my credit card bill.

Found out last night I have another friend in quarantine after a friend gave her a ride. My friend had just been in an accident and her car wasn’t driveable. So her friend came to bail her out but it also turned out that person found out she had the virus. Oh my!

Then I moved on to try to find my Blood Center donation card and darn it, I cannot find it! I wonder if I tossed it out? But while hunting through things, I found some stamps I thought too pretty to use and a couple of gift cards. I had been sending them to a friend as I sent her greeting cards. Thought I had gone through all of them but wooo, a few left. Also my emergency bus quarters and my never-used Debit Card. I may even have found the PIN associated with the card....maybe.

Quite a day all in all. Now I have a stack of papers to sort through. I think they are all trash but must check.

Wow, what an exciting day yes?

Sandy, well, try to refrain from answering yourself😉😉 but talk sharply to the TV when certain people are delivering, ummm, information. 🤪 Your house is so clean you don’t need anyone for a while. I ordered gloves for doing scrubbing but they will be slow in arriving so I will keep slathering lotion on my hands. Wash, wash, wash.

Jackie, wahoo, vegetables. Doing well. Time to get the cold frame going for lettuce?? I think there are many other veggie crunchers here in my suburb. Hopefully I will never be fighting for the last carrot! This car thing is beyond strange but then we live in very strange times. You may need to get quite FIRM with them even though we are in an emergency. Don’t they want to make $$?

Anne, are you still enjoying your visit with Michael? Jilly must be one happy little pup today. Not a boring day at all. Hoping nothing but good things for you.

Buzz, NOOO, Fox? Oh, what an agony. I hope your regular channels are back now. Keep looking out for yourself dear one. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Patsy, I don’t see a post bit just sending you all best wishes. And virtual hugs. ❤️❤️🙋🏼‍♀️ oh wait, you have been here! Your project sounds interesting but regular cards would be more fun. I had a deck of tarot cards as a teenager because you know, teenagers want to know about everything. I didn’t care for them personally. But then I don’t care for psychics either. Tell John to slow down, taxes aren’t due now until July 15th.

May we all be well and very safe.

Lin
  • linder4866
    Okay, a couple of selections for today.

gtzatf8eesxc.jpeg

clseb0k4lqfs.jpeg

Just couldn’t decide as they were both sweet.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Sandydur
    Illinois now has a Stay at Home Order..............we can go to grocery store, take a walk but keep social distance. This is in effect until April 7.
  • linder4866
    Sandydur wrote: »
    Illinois now has a Stay at Home Order..............we can go to grocery store, take a walk but keep social distance. This is in effect until April 7.

Sorry Sandy but some governors are being aggressive on stopping this. Our governor wouldn’t ever do anything that’s different than what the Federal government has in place.

Keep talking to us!!
  • Sandydur
    edited March 2020
    Nothing really changes I haven’t been out for over a week. I don’t plan on going out at all as long as bryanna can keep doing my errands.
  • delraybuzz
    I hope my disaster day is done! Received an email regarding a bill from Dell which had been taken care of and called to tell them to refund it, and you probably guessed the rest. It was a scam, they got into my bank and attempted to wipe me out! I've spent all afternoon (and missed dinner) the bank and Dell cleaning out my laptop, where they had even disabled my printer! I was a wreck and on top of that have to close and open new accounts! Well, I guess I'm lucky there was no long term damage but is my face red! I'm beginning to feel like Badluck Barbara! I'm in no mood to post tonight although I can still send big hugs!
  • Gawanne35
    I'm sort of sad that we've decided Michael won't be over on a regular basis any more. It's quite a drive for him but that's not the reason. This bug is far worse than any of us can imagine and we really do have to isolate especially us elders. His friend works in a surgeons office and she's sent us a video showing the bug and how it progresses. It's quite awful, especially for us, so until things calm down, and we haven't reached the peak yet, he's staying home unless an emergency. He's worried he could give me it. I'll be okay. After all I have Mark across town, but even so, and even with daily communication I'll still miss my eldest, and Jillo certainly will.

BUZZ, two scams going on over here. A couple are knocking on older people's doors. They offer to buy the weekly groceries at the store and that's the last one sees of ones cash, debit or credit card.
    The second are men in hazard suits knocking on doors saying they must disinfect your home. Once in the house the owner is robbed.
    We don't have to just worry about the virus with these low life around!

I'm making a sort of veggie, bean, pasta soup with all the leftovers and I must say I hope it tastes as good as it smells.

Jillo is back walking on four legs. I think she tore a nail zooming around yesterday. And my leg gash is starting to heal with the swelling and red disappearing! It's said one gets to look like ones dog. Oh Lordy!

Anne
  • linder4866
    Good morning. The sun is shining and the weather is still crisp at just over freezing. I had another outing. So exciting. I wrote a check for my church and drove to the post office to drop it off in the outdoor slot. Never left my car and drove home the long way. Looked at houses, tried to spot emerging flowers and especially taking note of parking lots. Two grocery stores and one drug store along my route. All lots PACKED! There are also two of the Dollar type stores on my route, lots not packed but definitely quite a number of cars. At least the line up has not started yet. There is a distillery that converted to making hand sanitizer. Yesterday the line of cars was very long with wait times at 2+ hours to get a bottle of sanitizer. Price, free or whatever you wanted to donate. The news people filmed it and of course they showed people in their cars with masks and gloves on. It starts again today at noon. This is the last day of the giveaway. I predict super long lines!

Anne, it is safer to not have anyone in your home who is out and about with others for now. That is why deliveries in most places are left on the porch, many stores are doing your shopping and bring the bag to your car. I don’t know, it is sad. Must talk to people more often I think. Keep recovering little Jillo and dear Anne.

Buzz, what an upsetting day. You are a champ working through all of that. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Hello to everyone.

Oh gosh, I am missing a Facebook live thing......

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Happy Saturday! :) Not much planned for today, riding my bike an hour as I have been doing since the lockdown, then probably going to binge watch some Netflix programs. I think riding my bike has kept my spirits up along with facetiming my grandkids. It has only been over a week but feels like a month but I really believe if everyone stayed in except for essentials and did social distancing we could be rid of this virus. It scares me that some don't take it serious and we will be stuck in our home until July.

Anne, how you feel about Michael is how I feel about my grandkids but it is for our own safety.
    I prefer only one person coming in and out of my house for less germs. Bryanna is diligent in washing her hands and taking precautions to protect me. I am very grateful for her.

Lin, I am glad you are being careful as you do your errands, I would send Bryanna to help you but it is a little far.

Buzz, what a horrible experience for you. I am so glad you got it all worked out. I did something terrible myself and was a nervous wreck. I got a phone call which I never answer if I don't know the number, but for some reason I picked it up and when I said hello the voice said can you hear me? Like an idiot I said yes and realized it was someone trying to record my voice. I called the number back and told them to go to hell. I immediately called my son to see what I should do and he said to just keep an eye on my bank and credit accounts. I am still nervous that something is going to happen so don't do what I did.

Jackie, I meant to say if it were me and my new car had damage I would have cancelled the order and gone someplace else. I know that is a big inconvenience and I don't know how cars are sold in England but I would want a perfect new car. Any word on it yet???

Patsy, staying in and staying busy, good for you. At least you have John and Katie to talk too.
    Thank goodness for you wonderful ladies so I can at least write to you daily.

Have a great day or at least the best you can.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Back again. An artist is hosting a little online event each day. She is fun! I like to listen to her.

Must find online entertainment these days.

Okay, for today’s set......

l108vyvuxozx.jpeg

Blue again. 🤗
  • Gawanne35
    JACKIE, I feel rather concerned about your new car. Can you cancel it and demand a refund if you've put cash down? I've been meaning to say that for ages and SANDY gave me a jog. I wonder if it's even in the UK if delivered from France. With this virus maybe productions ceased in France or slowed down. All this fobbing you off makes me very suspicious. I would definitely cancel if I could.
    Sorry for a downer.
    Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    After Dell reset my computer and got rid of what they said was everything form outside, today I discovered someone tried to change to bank password, and I discovered a program planted on my laptop that could follow my websites, and it was planted yesterday while the hacker was there! I uninstalled that, nd changed my bank ID and another new password and we'll see if it's OK! Scary, and of course I'm still not certain I'm safe! Between this and the security measures where I live, I seem to have become totally self absorbed! Like everyone else, my suspicions are raised about JACKIE's new invisible car, and hope that is not a hoax of some sort. I'm thinking of all of you and wishing good health and no scams for everyone! I haven't eaten yet today, so I shall go have my steelcut oatmeal I made yesterday. Someone bought me Quaker, and it just is not like the Irish brand I always buy! But still good! I cooked it with vanilla almond milk and it was delicious! So tired now!

<3 Buzz
    .................................Always Believe Something Wonderful is About to Happen!.(Oh yeah?)...................................................