Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    Good Morning,
    I browsed back to my last comment, oh my, it’s been a little over a month since I chatted here. How could that be?

I have the best friends and family, thank you all for your emails, phone calls and concern about what’s going on and how we’re doing. Isabella and Debora, I am so thankful for NutriMirror bringing us all together and having this relationship. It was great to hear from you and I can count on you guys keeping tabs on me. I talk to Norma daily, but have even neglected to keep Nancy, Carol and Karen caught up to date on our daily happenings. I often copy/paste my comments from here and share them in an email to the others. No comments, no email updates. I’ll try to do better. Hey, Nancy, especially thank you for showing me NutriMirror years ago and for your phone message the other day, I'll call you again soon.

The new chemo treatment wiped me out. Not as bad as the aggressive earlier rounds of chemo, but the Ibrance daily pill is more potent than the Letrozole pill was. And/Or, John is just wearing me out more. Either way, I’m just plain tired, all the time.

The new pill is a 28 day cycle, 21 days of taking the pill and then 7 days off of it. Apparently, it’s normal for the blood count to drop, but those 7 days off are suppose to let it bounce back. My blood count continued to drop, (both red blood cells and white blood cells) so they told me to stay off another 7 days. Then, that next blood work the following week showed not enough improvement to start back up, so I was off another 7 days. Last Monday’s blood work was good enough to start again, but they have me on a lower dose now (100 mg vs 125 mg). We’ll see how next week’s labs look. I don’t think we’ll really know how this is doing until another CT scan. I got the injections every 2 weeks for the first 3 applications and am now getting them monthly. Have had no adverse effects from those. The nurse giving me the injections apologizes each time saying people complain about the pain and burning, but I haven’t felt that at all. Another blessing.

John and I made it over to the dog park a couple weeks ago. What fun! It is such a nice park, great walking trail and we met up with some friendly dogs and their owners. We talked about making this a weekly outing. I need to get it on our calendar so we follow through and go more often, because we haven’t gone back yet.

John is worse, can no longer do anything on his own except picking up pinecones and raking and sweeping the walk. He keeps busy, but wants to do more and just can’t. I know he wants to be helpful, but most times, he just makes more work for me. He wanted to mow, but when we get the lawn mower out and started and ready to go and he stands there and asks, “now what do I do?” I just don’t have the strength to do it, so we put it away and do the same thing again the next day. When I do mow a little bit, he just stands there and watches. I’m not used to having an audience when I mow, it’s a little creepy.

I spend most of my time checking things out…John is always saying “look at this”, or “come with me, I have to show you something”, or “I’ve never seen this before”. Of course, he has seen it before; it’s usually a common occurrence around here. And then, again being helpful, when I tell him I’m going to do something, he says “let me do it, let me do it” and then will think a minute and ask “how do I do that?” I want him to feel useful, but it’s exhausting.

Well, I better get this posted before I get distracted and lose it. I still need to go back and read all of your previous comments to catch up on your activities. I’ll do my best to get back here more often.

• isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited May 2018
    Good morning ladies,

Debora, So sorry to hear about your sister. I know she will be greatly missed but you have the peace of knowing you will see her again someday. I will continue to keep the family in my prayers.

Sheryl, so great to hear from you. You have so much to deal with. I don't know how you do it. It must be heart breaking as well as exhausting when John wants to do something to help but doesn't know how. Sorry this chemo is tougher on you. Will continue to pray that it brings good results and continue to pray for you and John.

Our 30th wedding anniversary on Monday was really nice. We got my wedding ring cleaned and had a pearl ring that Dan bought me years ago re-sized so I can wear it again so it is like getting it as a gift all over again. Our dinner at Carver's Steak House was one of the best we've ever had there. We almost never get an appetizer but this time we got crab cakes. I had a rib eye with steak and vegetable soup (amazing!) and au gratin potatoes as my side dishes and Dan had filet mignon with spinach salad and garlic mashed potatoes. We also ordered grilled asparagus and sautéed mushrooms. We came home and opened a bottle of wine and watched a movie afterward.

I bought a supplement called "Max Hair" that is basically biotin to see if it will help my thinning hair. I also switched hair color products to one with low ammonia to see if that will make a difference. My friend Mona stopped dying her hair all together (we were using the same brand of hair dye) and says her hair is starting to grow back but I just can't bring myself to go grey yet. I'll see if using the Max Hair helps.

Well, I'm going to get going. Have a great week!
  • sannferris
    Good Morning, hope you all have a great Memorial Day, whatever your plans may be.

Finally read all the comments for this past month and you have been so busy. But, also some fun activities. And sad.

Isabella, belated Happy Anniversary. I’m so glad that your new ventures eating at the restaurants turned out so well. Nice to try something new and different and end up being so pleased with it.
    I’m happy to hear that you are glad with your new church choice. It’s sometimes hard to find a good fit and feel comfortable with the services as well as with the people. Church family is a great support.
    Boy, what we do for our hair. I know exactly what you’re going through. I dye mine with a medium blood, still light in color but certainly takes the edge off the grey. And, it’s hard to detect the roots so I can let it grow quite a bit between dye jobs. This new chemo is “loosening” my hair, but I have so much, it’s hard to tell on my head, but I know it's coming out because there’s a lot more in the shower drain and in the towel when I dry it. I don’t think it will all fall out like the last time, just thinner, which for me isn’t a bad thing. I hope the new hair color and the “Hair Max” works well for you.
    Wow, You work a lot of hours, but I can see the smile on your face when that overtime gets on your paycheck. That makes it all worthwhile. Hope you enjoy this holiday and rest up for your work week.
    I recorded the Royal Wedding but still haven’t watched any of it yet.
    Thank you for the card, I’ll share it with Norma when she visits in July.

Debora, my condolences on the loss of your sister. I pray that that emptiness gets filled with joy in knowing that she’s not suffering. What a shock though. And especially, what a load on your niece, I’m sure she depended on her Mom as she is also caring for her husband. The Lord has a plan even when we question it at times like this. How much can a person bear? God knows and will provide.
    I really like that phrase…”Sanity Saver”. Yes, I can relate, Carol is especially mine. I relish our lunches together and I should call and schedule something soon…for my sanity. John is really pushing the limits and I need a break. However, I may need to take him with me, it's to dangerous now to leave him home even for an hour, but still, it’s time away from home and a break in our routine.
    I chuckled at your out-of-town company just dropping in. I would not have been chuckling though if it not had been that he and his dog spent the night in their van. I’d be concerned if you had to put him up in your home and you hardly know him.
    It’s a great thing to teach kids about the handling of money. Those projects will help them in life.

My azalea was blooming like crazy this year. So full of color, it was beautiful. Probably turned out better than ever because it was left alone this past year, no trimming got done. Somehow, this plant reminds me of Marcie. Every time I walk by, I’d think of Marcie. I should email Jim and check in on him.

I get outside at least an hour every day and do a little yard work. Then, I rest except for the many many times throughout the day that I have to walk out there to look at what John wants to show me. I get my exercise.

Norma shared with me a story about her oldest grandson. It’s so cute, I wanted to tell you. Jackson is six years old now and he had 2 loose teeth. They went on an outing a few weeks ago and in a park setting, he happened to lose both teeth but they could only find one of them before leaving. So, Jackson drew a picture of that second tooth to prove to the Tooth Fairy that he gets credit for 2 teeth. Very ingenious kid. I doubt that I would have thought of that.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning. Today, I have to go get my blood checked again, it's a weekly thing now. Yesterday, John and I took off for a drive and then after lunch, we stopped at Fred Meyer so that I could use my coupons that were due to expire. Got a good deal on frozen fruit bars, only 99 cents a box. John goes through these things like water, helping himself to a "popsicle" all day long. (I switched to fruit bars years ago so he gets good stuff instead of sugar water). So I stocked up, but wanted to come straight home to get them in the freezer. John wanted to continue driving into the east hills. I told him we'd do it tomorrow (meaning today). I think we'll leave early for my appointment and drive up into the hills for an hour and then on to my lab work and then go out for lunch again.
    YES, I get to go out to lunch 2 days in a row, YIPPEE.
  • isyvanek
    Good morning! Lots to do today. There is a free folk festival I'd like to stop at for an hour and it is right where the farmer's market is so I can get some honey as well. Then I'll do our grocery shopping. I also need to stop at Bed Bath & Beyond to get a new indoor/outdoor mat and a bathroom scale since mine died yesterday.

Sheryl, SO great to hear from you! How did your drive before your lab work go? It is a good time of year to take John with you when you have to go out. Hope it continues to go well. It was a really cute story about Norma's grandson. Yes, he is very creative. Maybe he'll be a lawyer some day. :)

Debora, Hope all is well. I know you're super busy as always!

Well, I'd better get going on my errands. Hope to stop back later.
  • isyvanek
    edited June 2018
    Hi ladies, I went to work from 6 to 9am today then my friend Jackie picked me up and we went to a farmer's market up north. After the market we went to Hobby Lobby and to an employee owned grocery store called Win-Co. Neither of us had been to these stores before. We found a couple of nice things at Hobby Lobby (I found some 40% off coupons on line) and the prices at Win-Co were amazing - even cheaper than Walmart!!! It's too far away to be my regular grocery store but it was fun to check it out. We really enjoyed ourselves as always. Now I'm waiting for Dan to take a shower so we can go to Trader Joe's and Sprouts.

We had our master bath shower remodeled this past week because the shower pan was shifting. It cost us approximately $4,000 and was pretty messy but it looks really nice. Hopefully we'll be able to start using it this week.

Hope all is well with you ladies. Have a blessed week.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning, finally back here to chat a bit, but I may have to leave abruptly. John is outside and he usually pops back in to say "come look at this".

Our "drive arounds" 2 weeks ago were terrific, had a beautiful scenic and out to lunch and fit in doctor appointments and lab work. Last week, I thought we'd do the same, but John stayed home one day because he said he felt woozy every time he got out of bed. I quickly went to have blood drawn and then stopped at Fred Meyer on my way home, a few groceries and picked up Rx's for myself and John. However, 2 days later, John decided that he no longer needs or wants any pills of any kind and refuses to take meds. I can't fight him, so I told him we'd take a break and if I see any changes in him, I will insist he start back up again. We'll see. He still refuses to see the dentist, he is so stubborn. Anyway, his wooziness was gone by the time I got home, he was outside when I pulled in the driveway.

Little by little, we're cleaning up the yard. Yesterday, weather/wind conditions were perfect for burning the burn pile. Since I had covered the pile with a tarp over the winter, it was much drier than previous years, so I was hoping for a clean burn, less smoke than before. God answered my prayers and things were going great, what little smoke there was, it went straight up and dissipated almost immediately, but the stupid neighbor in the development behind us turned us in anyway. An agent from the SW Washington Clean Air Agency pulled in the driveway to inspect. He was a nice guy and said I did everything right, but when there's a complaint, they are forced to come out. I am totally stressed and decided not to burn in the pasture anymore, I can't take the headache, literally, I woke up with a throbbing headache this morning. We may make a burn pile in the back yard and burn it more often so it isn't so big. There's a blank space west of the apple trees that I can manage, I think. I'm pretty sure that Roger, the neighbor right next door won't care, it borders his driveway, but he doesn't hang out there anyway. And, I can see it from the house, so I won't have to be out in the pasture for hours watching a burn pile.

Isabella, we have Winco here and it's great. I buy quite a few favorite items there, no one else beats those prices.

I just had a scare...a vehicle pulled into the driveway and I thought, great, here we go again, that idiot neighbor must have called on us again. (The pile is still smoldering a bit and there's some smoke, but it's light and going straight up like yesterday, calm wind) But, it was our Blue Apron delivery, boy, am I jittery.

I'll put away my meals and see what John is doing.
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Hello all, it has been awhile since I’ve talked and talked and talked. We’ll see what happens today. It’s hard to believe that it is coming up on three weeks since my sister died. When she was in the hospital we went up to visit almost every day. Her kids were there most of the time. Sometimes they took turns and the one would go to the motel room they got. The one weekend Scott’s wife and kids came to see Carol. Michelle decided hers wouldn’t. Memories as she was were better. The kids kept me up with everything they were thinking and planning. I was their sounding board and we had lots of texts going back and forth. My younger sister they kept some in the loop but she also didn’t like some of their choices and came up with things that were a bit frustrating but I stayed out of it and they understood. We all wanted to keep peace. We had some times when we knew Carol was understanding so they knew she did not want any extra done for her. After a good afternoon, Scott was leaning toward doing a feeding tube but after the next night with her, they were all on the same page. They decided to move her to the nursing home near us and put her on comfort care. The evening after moving her was amazing. She was very alert and seemed to be saying how happy she was that all the tubes were removed. She was on oxygen but that was all. She and Michelle spent he evening watching youtube of the Mennonite Mens Chorus. The next day she was not as alert and more resting. Toward evening, they called hospice back in and the kids stayed with her till she passed away about 3 in the morning. They probably would have let me stay with them but I think the time was special to them. They called me as soon as she passed away.
    The next day they got to chose a casket, flowers and all the things that go along with a funeral. They asked me to meet with them and the pastor to help plan the service so did that. That evening they wrote the obituary and had me proof. They did a good job. Then they crashed. Both headed home. Just a night at home was nice and they came back the next evening with their families. We sat in church together and the Friendship did the family meal for us after church (just like out usual Sunday dinners). The afternoon was visitation. Then about 20 came over afterwards for the evening and ate food people had given us on Sunday. The kids enjoyed being together. Monday morning was the funeral and then burial and then a meal at church. We ended up with 48 from our family (McCulloughs) there including my uncle. So we got most of us in a picture. Midafternoon Scotts headed home and Michelle’s headed off.
    They had a full week ahead of them as Michelle’s husband’s sister passed away 10 hours after Carol did. So they went to St. Louis for a radiation treatment, to Knoxville, TN for visitation and funeral and back to St. Louis for last 2 radiation and then home on Friday. Now Jeff has a break from the chemo and radiation. He’s having a little problem with his arm again so we just keep praying.
    The next weekend was our family get-away. Katie and Ava went out to see her mom as Katie wasn’t feeling well and it is more work with Ava so we missed them but had a good time. Went to the zoo when it was too hot but Ralph enjoyed one of those motorized wheelchairs. Rooms had double bed which we knew so that was interesting and they weren’t overly large but worked. We had two grandkids in our second bed each night. We ate breakfast at the motel and the other meals out somewhere. We found a couple of nice parks – did botannica gardens and spent several hours in the motel pool. Well I watched the kids and few adults have a good time. Ralph and I went to three bookstores. Some went to Harbor Freight, Goodwill and some other places. Dereks, Thomas and Jim had to go back Sunday evening and Matthew and Julie did too. The rest of us finished up the leftover pizza and went to Outback (across the driveway) for appetizers for fun. We ate and then packed up and headed out – each car on their own. We got home about 5. A fun time.
    Felt like I played catch-up from the time Carol was sick plus being gone but as long as have-tos got done, it was okay. We did go see my uncle. I think he seems more content. Thomas helped with the Community Bible School – taught 5-6 grade boys and played Bruce the Moose. We went to the program so we could see him. Lindsey had a 5 day club at her club with 18-22 kids attending. Saturday I went to the fairgrounds where the 4-H clubs were painting the trashcans. Our club was responsible for 2 and they did a good job. I helped get the hot dog meal ready and served it and then headed home. I straightened the house and then went over to Carol’s house. Scott and his daughter had come down so they were cleaning and bagging up easy stuff and we too 3 carloads to the thrift store.
    I also had an uncle pass away – he lived in CA so I didn’t know him well but the uncle I help is the last sibling left.
    Thursday was Willing Workers which Carol had gone to for years. They had a sharing time. I have all the things she used to do and have to figure out the next steps. It will all work out. I think I miss her the most when I can’t pick up the phone to tell her things. That’s how we talked the most. Did French bread last Sunday so didn’t think too much about her rolls. Will do hamburgers this week.
    Sunday was church, dinner here. I made 2 spaghetti casseroles. We didn’t celebrate since we do that the third Sunday but it was Owen’s actual birthday and he likes spaghetti. The recipe said it served 9 but I cut each into 12 pieces and we had plenty leftover. I will probably make it again but not use as much spaghetti. Lori was there most of the afternoon cause Thomas had to go decorate a classroom for our Bible School. He’s teaching 1st grade this week. Lucy and Paige are here part of the week and we’re picking up a couple of kids.
    Yesterday was 4-H so got ready for it – good meeting. Today I went and loaded a bunch of the canned goods from Carol’s so I can go through it – keep, donate or toss and other things I was to take and got the kitchen table cleared off. Thursday I hope to haul off more clothes (stuff she had from the thrift store and other non-sentimental things). Maybe pack up stuff on the kitchen counters so it looks a bit better. Got a number of things taken care of today but there’s always more to do
    See, I can’t do anything short.

Sheryl, sorry you are so tired all the time. Hopefully, your body adjusts. John being more work – will just have to keep praying for wisdom in that area. Have you been back to the dog park? How fun to have plant that reminds you of Marcie. Very cute story about Jackson. That silly neighbor. I’m glad we can still burn as long as do it safely.

Isabella, Happy Anniversary. Glad you had a good celebration. Can you tell if he “Max Hair” is helping? Always fun to hear about your weekend activities. You do great at finding low cost things too. I’ve never been to Win-Co but it’s hard for me to imagine not having been to Hobby Lobby. They always have a weekly coupon you can get online if you go again. You’re getting close to having a “new” house with all the work you’ve had done. Wish I could convince Ralph to do more here. (he did finally fix the tray my keyboard sits on. It’s been propped up by phone books for several weeks).

Well, it’s time to head for bed so I’d best send this off. Hope I didn’t repeat things too much or drone too much but it’s typed now and will go out as is. I’ll try and be better at getting in here too. I always look forward to Saturday cause I know Isabella pops in and keep an eye out for Sheryl. Good night.
  • isyvanek
    Good morning ladies! It has been in the mid to high 80's this week and somewhat humid. Hopefully it will be cooler today. It's been a crazy "but good" week at work! My counterpart who does contracts up north left the company because she graduated college and got a position in her field. They were going to put all contracts for socal back on me for a while but ended up shifting some positions and assigned her workload to another girl there instead. Yay!! She came in on Friday afternoon to train with me. Of course it wasn't enough time to cover all the different types of contracts and insurances we process so my supervisor said we will do some "webex" training on Monday. That should be interesting.

Today we will do our usual shopping at Trader Joe's and Sprouts. Then we will meet Jami and Joe for dinner at Red Lobster at 7:30pm for Joe's birthday. He chose one in a town about 30 miles away because they want to go to a brewery after dinner and listen to his friend's band play there. We are not going to go to the brewery because they don't start playing until 9:30pm and we really didn't want to be out that late so far from home. I guess we're just old fogies now! But we are really looking forward to going to Red Lobster. We haven't been to one in years.

Sheryl, Cool that you have a Winco. I can only hope they open one closer to us someday. Glad that the scenic drives went well. It will be nice to do more of those. Sorry to hear that John is refusing to take his meds. Hopefully he won't be too adversely affected. My mom got that way too except she would take some of her pills/vitamins but chose certain ones that she would take out of the cup and leave on the table because she didn't want to take those particular ones for some reason. Always the same ones. Like a little pearl probiotic. Bummer about the neighbors complaining. Neighbors can be such a pain. And after all the trouble that development has caused in your fields! That is stress that you absolutely do not need right now. Hopefully your plan to move the burn area will work out.

Debora, good to hear from you. Lots of planning and taking care of your sister's stuff. You will miss her for quite some time but lots of good memories. Not sure if the Max Hair is helping yet. We'll see.

Well, Dan is ready for breakfast so I'd better close. Have a great week!
  • arobed53
    Well, the girls survived staying here during Bible School. Actually, they both went home Tuesday. Lucy had volleyball games and Paige had a birthday party to go to on Wednesday. So I got Lucy back Wednesday and Paige on Thursday. Lucy helped me sort 3 quarters of Sunday School material that I had been putting off and I kept getting some little things done. We went for a walk on Wednesday evening. Also, Ralph realized that evening that our air conditioning was not working. Well, we opened windows, used out attic fan that we very seldom have used since we put ac in and move the dehumidifier upstairs. With fans, survivable. It was nice that I had it planned that we went to Alans after lunch on Thursday and they got to play in their pool while I worked with Carol’s stuff. I got the trunk filled with a load for the thrift store and the two staying with us and Molly and Ralph and I went to town and took the stuff in and, shopped there and then went to McDonalds. All was fine till bedtime and Paige couldn’t sleep and didn’t feel well so eventually I brought her upstairs to the sofa up here and I slept on the recliner but no problems once she went to sleep.

Friday morning I stayed for the opening so got to hear the missionary of the week speak. He’s a young pastor with Village Ministries in Blue Mound, KS so not to far away. He started with a church of 8 and now has 60. They have bought a building to use with working with kids so our offering is going toward putting a roof on it and redoing the bathrooms. They got $3800 so will even do more so that was exciting. Thomas took the girls home after Bible School so it was back to Ralph and I. After we ate, I headed to town and he stayed home to wait for the ac guy and he was able to fix it. Yay. Still took the rest of the day to cool back down. I shopped, put away the cold stuff and then we went to Brecken’s t-ball game. It was nice sitting out there.

Aven asked me if I was okay. I said sure. Took me a bit to realize she was thinking about how Aunt Carol was suddenly not okay and died. Glad I am okay.

Today, I cleaned up the house which wasn’t too bad. Tomorrow we have two birthdays to celebrate and will do Father’s Day and Mother’s Day (sister was in hospital when we would have done it last month). Went to a bridal shower this afternoon. Now finishing up food stuff. Still need to do the fruit salad, cole slaw and frost and “decorate” the cake. Will do our pizza and salads for supper whenever Ralph comes in. Alan is combining here by our house.
    Alan had a break down and figured out the problem but quit until Monday. Tables are set up and looking forward to tomorrow. Think I planned too much food but hopefully they bring good appetites. All the boxes of are loaded up to take to KC on Monday so we’ll drive the older car tomorrow. Tomorrow is church, everyone here and then our Bible school program in the evening.

Here’s an update on my nephew-in-law. Jeff has successfully completed his six week round of chemo and radiation and now gets to rest and recover until the next trip to St. Louis on July 11. He’s getting energy back slowly and still tires easily. Some days are better than others. His arm function, which was nearly back to 100%, has diminished some. It’s still functioning but with much extra thought and effort. He had trouble with his leg one day too. We remain thankful for any function and appreciate the good days very much. After mid-July, Jeff will be on a chemo only treatment on a monthly cycle. He can take the chemo anywhere.

Isabella, glad they didn’t give you all the extra work of the person who left but training someone takes some time too. Hope she is a fast learned. Enjoy Red Lobster. I haven’t been there in some time but the food has always been good when I’ve gone. I’m with you on not planning to stay out real late. So nice to have such good friends to do things with.
  • arobed53
    Sunday went well. Plenty of food. Cleared the tables, Julie did a dish drainer full and then we went on to open gifts for the two birthdays. Everyone hung around for quite awhile. Lori and family stayed until Bible School program.
    Monday we headed out about 6 and took 17 boxes up to ship to Kenya, went to the usual bookstores and got a start on another bunch of books. We stopped at Home Depot and bought more boxes too. We got home about 7:30 so home before dark which is nice.
    This morning I went over and worked about an hour at sister's - brought a load of stuff that goes here. Got most of the stuff out of the fridge that is not to stay. Tomorrow will load up more for the thrift. About as straightened as we'll get it before niece comes. Got a load of laundry done. Did two more loads of dishes and got through all the Sunday ones. Went and with the help of a few 4-Hers did the birthday party at the local nursing home. Then we went to our church and had a lesson on making dinner rolls. Came home and fixed salads and out leftover pizza and now working on my list. Won't do much of it cause we'll be gone a good part of the day but it still helps to make it.

How's your week going? Hope John's not giving you too much trouble or the chemo isn't wearing you out too much Sheryl.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning. Another week of appointments, but also fun lunches. John and I met up with Carol before my blood work on Wednesday. Had a great time catching up. I notice that the more I talk and the more excited I get...my voice gets higher and higher and squeaky and lots of coughing. I need to be mindful of my vocal exercises and I hear Melissa's (speech therapist) voice in my head, "lower register, Sheryl, lower register". It's hard.

Seems that I'm having more side effects from the chemo drug, but, I'm willing to put up with them until my next CT scan. If the tumor is shrinking, then it's worth it. I have a lot more coughing and choking and now I have a lot of joint pain, especially in my feet. I've been blessed with very little pain through this ordeal except for the DVT, that was painful but we got that under control pretty fast. Anyway, overall, I'm doing well, just taking it easy and doing very little work. So much to be done, but it all has to wait. John is not liking the waiting part, he wants to do everything yesterday.

So sorry, this is cut short, John is up now and calling me.
  • isyvanek
    Good morning ladies, Went to work yesterday from 9am to 3pm. usually like to go in earlier but my boss had an appointment and it was actually nice to go in a bit later this once. Was able to concentrate on a couple of the more difficult contracts that I put off during the week because they would take too much time and I was too far behind. So I got those done and got caught up current on the contracts. Now to try to get the insurance current on Monday. Only about a day behind so that's good. I had a buy one get one free for burgers at this place called Bruski's so we went there for early dinner then did our usual shopping. The burgers were good but huge and we ate the whole things and fries too so we were STUFFED. Don't like that feeling anymore.

Red Lobster was not good last week. WAY overpriced and the food was just OK (fine dining prices for sub par food). Won't go back to one any time soon if at all. But the company was good so it's all good.

Going to Jami's today after church to have my hair colored. We always have a nice time hanging out together enjoying our girl time.

Debora, you are really getting a lot of things done as usual. What is the plan with your sister's place? Is one of her children going to take it? Or are they going to sell it? You've made a lot of headway on getting it cleaned out. Sounds like your day last Sunday was really nice. Appreciate the update on your nephew Jeff.

Sheryl, so glad you had some nice lunches out and got to meet up with Carol! Always an enjoyable time. When is your next CT scan? Hope the joint pain gets better and I can't even imagine what the choking must be like. I will continue to pray.

OK, I'm off to church. Have a blessed week ladies.
  • arobed53
    Oh my, I know it has been quite sometime since I’ve chatted in here. I won’t bore you with everything. But quite a bit of my time has been spent working at my sister’s house. I took care of things nephew okayed and got the kitchen and dining room tables fairly cleared along with some floor space. My niece came this week since her husband was dong well enough and she, her daughter (who did get ample time playing with Alan’s kids), Alan and I worked most of two days. Alan took two stock trailers full of stuff to the thrift store. Niece took a full vehicle of books to donate to a bookstore and I took the little bit left when I went to the dentist Thursday. Niece said the house is beginning to look like the house she lived in. We had not realized how much sister had kept stuff – I’m sure she planned to deal with it but more and more kept coming it. Where she put it when the kids came to visit I don’t know but we donated lots of stuff. Also, I have a big pile of stuff to haul home – some stuff for shoeboxes, some for me, some for SS or Willing Workers and then there is lots and lots of yarn. My daughters will use a lot of it and I have a friend who makes lots of hats to donate so I’ll share with her. It’s just figuring where to put it for now. This also makes me realize I need to get more done on my house. It would be lots nicer if the kids didn’t have to deal with it.

Things continue to be interesting with my uncle’s friend. I hadn’t heard anything for awhile and then a week ago Wednesday she left a message giving me three days to give her permission to take Uncle Joe places or she was going to contact an attorney. That time was up last Saturday and nothing. Then Tuesday morning she left a message saying that since Uncle Joe has a special friend in the home, she is not going to see him anymore and she has a coat she wants me to come get. Wednesday we go see Uncle Joe and there in his room is the friend and she is busy decorating the room (which is fine) and no coat for me and then she wonders why I have a hard time believing her and don’t want her to take Uncle Joe anywhere along with other reasons like she uses a walker so how can she help him if he needs it.

One bad thing with Uncle Joe is I’ve misplaced his wallet and I’ve searched high and low. Praying it shows up somewhere while I’m doing other stuff. Next Friday is our Missions Banquet so I’ll be helping doing some things to prepare for it. I’ve got some other projects I need to work on (been putting them off) so we’ll see how it goes.

Sheryl, I’m glad you can fit some fun lunches in amongst all your appointments. Sorry you are having more side effects. But love knowing that you know to take it easy. You do what is best for you. John will just have to wait.

Isabella, so glad you are allowed to work on Saturdays when needed and keep up with things. Sorry Red Lobster was a disappointment. Price is one reason we don't go there much. I'd rather eat more times at a fast food place. It always feel good to get your hair fixed up.
    When they get sister’s house emptied up, Alan will have twice as much space. I don’t know how they will use it – also means you have that much more to clean (there are 2000 square feet on each level). The basement is probably nicer than the upstairs since it was all fixed up so has good wiring, and was done for their likes. The upstairs will need work done probably. But I’ve wondered if they’ll keep living downstairs and use the upstairs for crafts, her artistry, guest bedroom and things like that but I have no idea and it will be a few months (in my opinion) before it will be done. We’ve been through most of the easy stuff.

It works best for Isabella to jump in on the weekend. Guess I should aim for the middle of the week but the main thing for me is getting to hear from you guys. Take care.
  • isyvanek
    edited July 2018
    Good morning ladies, Went to work again yesterday from 7am to 3:30pm. I got a LOT done so it is wonderful. I'm pretty much caught up which is really good because it is insurance renewal time so I am getting a boat load of emails from customers who want an updated certificate. Also the gal who does contracts in Riverside is on vacation this week so I will have to process her contracts as well. I will be a very busy woman! After all that work I decided I wasn't cooking so we went to one of the many local Mexican taco shops and split a carne asada quesadilla and a small side of rice. It was plenty of food for 2 people and only cost a total of $14 (Dan always gets a drink and I always just have water).

I am going to visit my friend with the emotional issues today. Hubby is feeling better about me visiting with her every couple of months so that's good. I bought a few groceries to take to her. Some turkey lunchmeat, cheese and bread. Also some rice and butter.

Our master shower is finally done. Looks nice. One of the doors hangs about a half inch too high (even after Dan adjusting it as much as he could) which makes Dan very unhappy. I just have to watch it when I squeegee the door after my shower otherwise doesn't seem like water is getting out. Maybe a couple of drops. :(

More problems with the difficult neighbor. He has a jasmine bush too close to our house that wants to climb on our house. They don't keep it trim enough and it is getting dangerously close to being a problem. This bush has damaged the stucco on our house before so you can understand our concern. They won't talk to us anymore since we complained to the HOA about their dog's poop in our yard (they no longer allow the dogs to walk around loose and go so that's good) so I had to email them to ask them to trim the bush. They haven't done it yet. They just keep moving the most offending and rambunctious vine. You can't imagine how angry this has made Dan. Dan called the president of the HOA and they literally told him to get over it. This of course made him even more angry. He is calmer today but he obsesses over things to the point of causing himself a lot of stress. He says he's always had a hard time letting go of things but I notice it a lot more now that he is older. I guess I'll just keep sending emails and we'll see what happens.

Debora, so good of you to help with your sister's house. I didn't realize they were all in the same house. Sounds like a huge home. Dan and I have come to the same conclusion on eating out. We'd rather eat out several less expensive meals than one very expensive (usually disappointing) meal.

Sheryl, hope all is well with you and John. Allow yourself to get the rest you need.

Anew if you're checking in, miss you! Take care.

OK, off to church I go. Have a wonderful week all!
  • sannferris
    Good Morning, more days have passed and I did not get over here. I don't know how time flies, but it does. I wanted to pop in to tell you I'm headed over for another CT scan this morning. Then, I have an appointment on Thursday to get the report. I hope this new drug has produced good results so that the side effects are worth going through. I am exhausted all the time and am coughing more than before, but if the tumor is shrinking, I can handle it.

Norma and her John arrive for a visit on the 4th and Norma will go with me to my appointment on Thursday. More on that later, gotta go.
  • arobed53
    Yes, prayers for a good report. Oh, how wonderful that Norma and John are coming. Nice to have someone to go with you - you can talk and talk while driving.

Lori and family made it to Maryland today.
    Got the news that Deacon's asthma has put him in the hospital again. They have had two long weeks of med, breathing treatments and inhalers and mom decided to take him to the doctor and that got him moved to the hospital in PICU. Usually summer is a good time of the year for him so hopefully they can figure out the problem and he won't be in too long. He loves the 4th of July so missing it will be disappointing. Derek is covering the rest of the kids. He must have tomorrow covered with help of friends cause I haven't heard from him but will check to be sure. He'll be up with the baby tonight. This is tough but God is in control.
  • isyvanek
    edited July 2018
    Good morning ladies, Happy 4th of July!! I'm very happy to have this day to relax and celebrate our nation. We are not doing ANYTHING. :smiley: Our friend who moved away is in town. She and her sister rented a house near the beach. All our little group were invited there but Dan and I declined. We do not want to drive that distance (or anywhere for that matter) on 4th of July. Besides, we can see fireworks from our front yard. I told her if she comes inland while she is here to please let me know. I am going to bake pumpkin bread today (I have a can of pumpkin I need to use up) and I'll make hotdogs for dinner tonight. It's funny but I have the hardest time finding hotdog buns that Dan likes. He wants them to be REALLY soft, and just the right size to fit the hotdog and not overpower it. I want them to have no high fructose corn syrup. Apparently you can't get all those things in the same product! So I gave in on the HFC. I decided it wasn't going to kill us to have it once in a while. It was a toss up between Wonder and Sara Lee. I chose the Wonder. Haven't had Wonder bread since I was a kid. I know all this sounds silly but we don't have dogs very often so it is a treat and we want to enjoy them.

Sheryl, praying that the CT scan shows good results. Wonderful that Norma and John are coming for 4th of July! I am still SO excited that she and John found each other! I know you'll all have a wonderful time.

Debora, sorry that Deacon is in the PICU. Hope they get him stabilized and he is able to be home and enjoying the 4th.

Take care all and have a great, hopefully relaxing, day!
  • arobed53
    Update - Deacon on spent one night in PICU, got moved to a regular room yesterday and came home today. So he gets to celebrate the 4th.

Week here is going good. Sunday was okay. Owen did manage to vomit on the basement floor which sent all the kids flying upstairs. His mom cleaned up the big mess but I'm still working on the spot. Right in the middle of the floor. Alan's went home after this. Lori's family stayed until Thomas got back from Youth Retreat and then they headed toward Maryland to see Jim's family.

Monday I had the entire day at home. I did walk with my friend and get a load from sister's but otherwise did things here. Exciting things like a load of laundry, unload the stuff I brought home, etc. I took the time to type up the guest list for our Missions Banquet. More are coming than I thought. 156 adults, 47 children and 19 in the nursery plus 6 babysitters. I enjoyed a whole day at home and thought Tuesday was going to be the same till Derek called and needed help with the kids so he could take the baby to visitation. So I spent the day at his place watching whoever was there at the time. I headed home around 5. Fixed supper. I am really trying to use up things in the freezer and pulled out what looked like onion rings (stuff my friend gave me when they went back to Kenya). So we decided to fix them. Just as I slid them and the chicken nuggets in the oven, the thought crossed my mind that they might be doughnuts made from biscuits. That's what they were so they were not as soft so instead of chicken nuggets and onion rings we had chicken nuggets and doughnuts. Not particularly healthy but different and food gone. I did manage to get Ralph's hair cut too.

Today was just a day at home - except I walked and went and got another load of stuff. I found a good spot to put it downstairs and see things that will go when I get back to decluttering. All I have left to get for now is lots of yarn. And I have a corner for it to go in. I plan to get it Friday morning before I go help set tables for the banquet. Ralph went to visit with our pastor for awhile and tried to grind some feed. We are gone enough that staying at home was fine with both of us. We aren't big fireworks people so not even going out later.

Tomorrow we plan to do our weekly errands, see Uncle Joe (and hopefully not his friend who keeps life interesting) and then I aim to go to Bible study. When we leave depends on how long my list is. I need to get the hotdogs and stuff for the little kids meal. So the week is zooming along but a few more hours at home than some weeks.

Isabella, I don't blame you for wanting to stay home when you just have the one day free. Hey, if the hot dogs are a treat for you, you want to make it all special. Pumpkin bread sounds good. I have a lot of cans of pumpkin I need to use. I kept buying on sale and forgot what I already have. I haven't made any bread for a long time so will have to check out recipes.

Happy 4th to everyone. Off to do my lists - for the day and shopping.
  • isyvanek
    edited July 2018
    Hi ladies, It is HOT here this week. 102 degrees yesterday and probably around the same today. Supposed to get down to the high 80's by the middle of the week thank God! I want to go to the farmer's market today so I'd better get going soon before it gets too hot. Will go to Trader Joe's, etc. later. No other plans this weekend. Yay!

Our difficult neighbor still hasn't trimmed the offending jasmine bush but Dan is trying to ignore it, at least for now. In the "you think you have problems" category, My friend Jami's neighbor just built a HUGE teepee at the edge of his property (sleeps 4), which means it is right next to Jami's property line. He put in an outdoor shower, a portapotty, a fire pit (which is insane in this fire hazard state!), and picnic tables. He is now advertising on airb&b a "glamping" experience with a view for $49 per night and has had "guests" pretty much every day. Jami is horrified. She immediately built an 8' fence to maintain her privacy and her bad, crazy neighbor went ballistic (screaming and yelling and calling them names) because she is now blocking the view. He said they need to talk and she told him the time to talk was BEFORE he built a teepee on the edge of her property and started renting it out nightly. He and his wife are getting really mean and nasty. The whole reason she moved to that area was to get away from people and have privacy. I guess Dan and I can't complain too much!

Debora, So glad that Deacon got to be home for the 4th. I got a real laugh out loud chuckle about your dinner of chicken nuggets and doughnuts! Too funny! Did you ever find uncle Joe's wallet? Wow, sounds like your Missions Banquet is going to be quite an event. Will it be catered? What type of food?

Sheryl, I'm sure you are enjoying Norma & John's visit. Are they staying thru Sunday? Are you still getting blue apron delivery?

OK, I'm off to the farmer's market. Have a great (hopefully cooler!) week!