Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    edited May 2015
    Just have a minute to pop in.
    Marcie, John said "no" to the eye patch. I tried to get him to let me pop out the right lens of his glasses, but when he saw me start to man-handle his glasses, he took them back and said "no" to that also. Whenever he complains about something, I want to fix it. I guess I can't...I have to just let him rant.

Isabella, your week sounds wonderful. Always nice to have R & R at home, plus dinner and a movie. Have a wonderful visit on Monday. Yes, the Lord is truly blessing us in ways I never knew could happen. I am so fortunate. Glad you like your new neighbors, that is so important to get along with those who live so close.

I better go check on John, time for more eye drops.
  • jlhawki
    jlhawki Posts: 225 Member
    edited May 2015
    Hey all! Been a busy few days-- I've been painting my family room and I actually like the color. It's called basket beige and is brown but on the yellowish side. I guess it's more a golden brown. I have 'softer tan' on the rest of the walls in the main rooms and this is 2 shades darker! I've heard that 2 shades up/down the color scheme is a good place to try if you like a color but want a contrast. I like it and think it will go well with the new cabinets (if we ever get to that stage) I bought another gallon of the 'softer tan" and have been touching up all the walls. It took forever and I'm tired from the up and down on the ladder. I also took a small brush and touched up all my mistakes (usually on the ceiling). Tomorrow I get to finish the spots that need more 'basket beige'. Then we can move the furniture back in!

I also worked the Boy Scout food booth at the district wide festival today. It wasn't crowded since it rained off and on all day! I am so glad you are finally getting a little rain out west-- if I could bottle all the rain we have gotten I'd send it your way :)

Sheryl-- so glad John is doing so well. The pics are great! Hope you can get your mom and dad settled soon! The tractor looks great!

Marcie--I think you are doing great with your steps! Also, I love sourdough bread and bet being homemade only made it better!

Aero--you are busy like always :)

Ivanek--Hope you have a great staycation! Enjoy your anniversary and tell Pam/Teri I miss seeing them :)

Have a great rest of your weekend!
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Wednesday night we had a meeting to learn more about the man candidating to be our next pastor. Sunday morning he will give the message and in the evening, he and his wife will give their testimonies and answer questions. So we weren't out too late. The boxes of books had all been loaded on Tuesday by Alan so we were set to go.

We headed out about 6. Within the first 5 miles we had a deer run across in front of us and fortunately Ralph was able to slow down enough that nothing happened. The rest of the drive was much less exciting. We ate all three meals out at fast food places and got inexpensive things but I didn't have to do any cooking. Not the healthiest day but a fun one. I think all we spent on food was about $20. We went to one thrift store and three bookstores and had about 3 boxes and 2 sacks of books. So we have the start of the next shipment. Ralph drove the whole time cause there was a vibration that was bothering him. We made it home with no problems by 10:30. The next morning we had a flat tire (valve stem was leaking we found out) so that might have been the problem.

Friday I went to town as usual and did my errands. I made it home by noon so I had the afternoon to do things here. Then we headed out for Thomas' 8th grade graduation. They were able to get a nurse to watch Emily and everyone else was able to make it. I think we had the biggest group there and the kids did a good job of sitting. When it was over we spent a little time at the reception at the school and then went to McDonald's for ice cream (made me think of Granny). Due to different things going on, we had a discussion and no one is coming for dinner tomorrow. That made today easier on me and a little lazier. Everyone will come next week and my sister's daughter and family might be here too. Still need to get the meat I was going to have into the freezer. I can use it later.

Today is a stormy day. It keeps raining off and on and might get stormy this evening. We went to a high school graduation. They had it plenty cool in there - almost too cool for Ralph and that's hard to do. Then we had 3 receptions to go to. They all had good food - ate the most at the first one - wonderful grilled hot dog. Second place had a delicious pasta salad made by the dad of one of the graduates. The third had wonderful snap peas. I didn't have any dessert but I still had a good amount of delicious calories. We have another place to go this evening (another day with no cooking). So we'll see what they have.

Tomorrow is church with the pastoral candidate preaching, a visitation, maybe another graduation and back at church in the evening - a full day.

Anew, no ac while traveling is a real bummer. Maybe you can have it looked at out there.

Jannie, did you choose a color? I have a hard time doing that too. Hope your work shift is a calm one.

Sheryl, that is a beautiful tractor. I'd like a picture of you or John sitting there ready to drive. You're smart to read the instruction book. Most of us don't do that.
    Glad you were able to find a doctor so quickly and get it to see him right away. Sorry he hemhawed around the issue but at least he finally said it. I hope their appointment at the new place goes well on Monday. Maybe your dad sees the value of being close to Norma or the importance to get your mom moved. Praying his time left here is good and not too much pain.
    I was thrilled to hear about how well the surgery went and how well John did (even though he fought you the day before). I like Marcie's idea of the eye patch but that might feel funny too. On our way home Thursday we stopped in a town we were going close to and visited a farmer from our area who is in a rehab home there. He got kicked by a steer last November and is slowly getting better. Anyway he had on his glasses and then another set of frames that helped him not have double vision. I think the plan is to make him new glasses. Interesting that you could watch the whole procedure and can watch it anytime you want now.
    The 4-H mom with cancer has 3 kids - one in college, one in high school and one in 6th grade.

Oh my, Marcie, a cracked tooth would be painful. Glad the dentist could get you in right away. The remodel job in his office sounds nice - especially the bread.
    I like your woo-hoos about Friday - kind of like me being excited with full days at home - yours just come with regularity. I think the hard rain you had the other night reached here today. If it keeps up all night we might not be able to get out tomorrow. I guess time will tell. Yep, sandals would not be good shoes for the amount of walking you're doing.
    I'm not bored at OKP - it's just not easy for me to navigate yet. Here is so comfortable. I don't take pictures much so the challenges are not something I do. Guess I'm more a chit chat person. :)

Sheryl, the pictures are nice - good walking place.

Just got home from the evening party. They had fajitas (smelled so good) but I stopped at just one. Had a good time visiting - caught up with a friend I don't see much so that was fun. The house is large enough that a lot of people could be there and it didn't seem crowded. Hope what I've written makes sense cause I started it yesterday and did it in bits and pieces. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
  • arobed53
    We got enough rain (I don't know how much) that the creeks are up so Ralph couldn't drive his usual way to the farm and he said for what he does on Sunday morning, he wasn't going to drive the long way around - at least 15 miles more. But we can still go to church. My sister and Alan can get out a different way so they can go too. There is one cousin who might not be able to get out till later today.

My sister also told me that Alan and Katie had water come into the basement - lots of water which has not happened before since they moved down. Must have been because of how quick and how much there was. Water was running into our sump hole like a faucet running full blast and it would be a big faucet. But today it calm, the sun is out and it looks to be a beautiful day.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning, this will be short this morning, trying to get an email update out to all the cousins.
    Yesterday, was a sleepy day, we didn't feel like doing much of anything, so didn't.
  • arobed53
    When we left for church, the water was already down looking straight down the road and by late afternoon Ralph could make it to the farm. Our pastoral candidate had a good message this morning and the evening of testimonies and questions went well. I think he'll get a good vote and will be coming. Since none of the kids were coming, I just fixed for the two of us and got a nap in before we headed out for the visitation. Some friends who have fixed up a place above one of the stores was leaving just as we parked in front of their place so we ended up finally getting to see it. It's very cute and they are very organized. The only thing I wouldn't like were the 25 steps to it. I know steps are good for you but I like them in shorter lengths. :) The sun shone all day - so different than the last few days.

Tomorrow will be a busy day so I'll drop in again when I can.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited May 2015
    Hi there.

Been a busy weekend (except for the long nap Cisco and I took today).

We've (meaning I since I'm the official vacuum operator in the house!) been want to replace our bagless Dison vacuum for a bagged vacuum. Dad's been doing research and reviewing Consumer Reports, and found a Sears vacuum with good reviews. We ran out to Sears on Saturday and checked it out, and bought it. That thing sure works great! It has a sensor on it that glows blue when there is dirt particles still in the carpet. Our carpet hasnt been this clean since we had it shampooed. It blows away the Dison! Dad tested it out on a couple rooms in the house, then officially turned it over too me. With the Dison, I had been having him empty the dust canister because my skin just cant handle the dust. That chore was enough for him to find me a better vacuum. Ha! I bought our last vacuum, so this time he wanted to buy it.

While we were out and about on Saturday we had lunch at the Hometown Buffet. Really good, but way too much food eaten by us both. Buffets are dangerous when you're watching the food intake.

Debora, I know all that rain was a headache, but I still cant help but be jealous!

I think I'll close now and try to get to bed early tonight. See y'all tomorrow.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning. Had a nice day with John yesterday. No work got done, we just played. Got over to the Vancouver Trap and Gun Club and watched them shoot trap. Very interesting, John used to shoot skeet, before I met him. This was the first time I actually saw it in person, I've seen it on tv. I'm not sure of the difference between trap and skeet, both are done shooting clay discs, but there must be some difference, maybe the rules or maybe different guns. John mentioned that he had not seen guns like that before.

Went out to lunch at the small Mexican restaurant near our house, we got our "usual", John gets shredded beef tostada and I get a shrimp salad. Got home in time for the basketball game on tv. I fell asleep in my recliner and missed most the game, I have no idea if John watched the game or if he was sleeping too.

Called my mom, no change there, they are still planning to visit the assisted living place today.

Marcie, I just need to get my vacuum out of the closet. The carpet sure needs it, but I find all the excuses not to get it done. So interesting that they have the technology to detect dirt particles still in the carpet. That blue glow would blow itself up if it came to my house.

Debora, rain like that sounds so dangerous, flash flooding and all. We are forecast to have thunderstorms this afternoon, but I doubt it will be very severe.

I didn't get all my email updates out yesterday, I better get the rest out this morning. Then, it's off to get more blood drawn and some grocery shopping on my way back home.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Hi all,

We had our meet up with anew and her husband and Pam Ray today. Carla is out of town and Tere has a cold so it ended up being the 5 of us. We went to a place in Fallbrook called Myrtle Creek botanical gardens. Pam lives about a mile away from it so she walked there. It was really nice. They had a plant nursery, wild bird sanctuary, and butterfly garden as well as an antique barn, and old farm house. Something to see everywhere you look. We had lunch on the outside patio organic locally grown café overlooking the lily pond. The weather was perfect and we had a really nice time! If you go to the NM family site on FB Pam has already posted a pic of us. :)

Anew said to tell you that her computer is on the fritz so she will check in when she can. They are heading back today but will stop in AZ for some visiting. They still have no AC so hopefully there will be a cooling trend!

I got to see pictures of the boxes she made - they are AMAZING! She is so talented! She and her husband made them together as a team which was their message to the young couples getting married - to always work as a team. It turned out to be a double wedding with her new daughter in law's sister and her fiancé being the 2nd couple so she made them a box as well. And her dress was beautiful.

Debora, glad you liked the pastoral candidate's message. That is very important and wise of your church to have "an audition" before making your decision. Hope he stays a while. It can be tough without a shepherd. Was it nice to have a quiet evening cooking for just the 2 of you for a change?

Marcie, glad you had an easy restful day! We have a Hoover wind tunnel vacuum cleaner that we bought at Costco about 15 years ago which is still going strong (we don't use it as often as we should). It does pretty much the same thing as yours in that if the carpet is still dirty the lite is red then turns green when it finally feels like you've gotten it clean enough. The wonders of modern technology! I really like it because since Dan likes to make the lite turn green he is usually the one who vacuums the carpets! :wink:
    Pretty cool that you are excited to get back to work to do your city walking at lunch. Who would have thought, right?!

Sheryl, glad you had an easy restful day as well and that you and John played all day. How did your parents visit at the assisted living go? What did they think?

I am a bit jealous that you all are getting rain again but not so jealous as to want such heavy rains.

Well, hubby wants to get on the computer so I guess I'll be good and share. I'll go sit outside and read and enjoy relaxing the rest of my day.

Talk to you all soon!
  • arobed53
    Hi, day is winding down so taking some time to relax. List for tomorrow is made. I wasn't home much today. I walked, took Ava to speech, was home a bit and got a load of laundry washed and dried and then headed to Lindsey's and was there from 12:30 - 5. For having four kids four and under, it basically went well. The boys took naps and the girls rested while watching a movie. So had some time to do sudoku and walk around the house. I did part of lunch, snacks and a couple of bottles. I took some balloons around that a friend had (they had been blown up for her for mother's day) and they had fun playing with them. Since I've been home, I've fixed supper and just some little things - mostly my list and watch TV.

If I think I was busy today, I heard that one of the teachers (the dad) at the private school is expecting for the third time. They had a girl the first time. She three. The second time was twins who are 1 and she is expecting twins again. So they will have 5 kids 3 and under. Whew!

Tomorrow I will have the morning at home. I plan to go to Lori's and work on dishes and laundry for a couple of hours (I'll check my bank balance -can't o it on my computer but can on hers) and then my sister and I are going to the kids volleyball and maybe the oldest's baseball game. I need to talk to my sister about that.

Marcie, what a cool new vacuum. Couldn't imagine why you wanted one with bags but you explained that. My $10 garage sale vacuum keeps working. A new one sounds nice. I might find out what kind you got if this one ever quits. :) You vacuum would probably make mine a solid blue.
    Our Hometown Buffet closed down. When we go to a buffet I give myself the okay for going over on calories but I still eat wiser than I used to. Sorry I can't share the rain. We're supposed to get more this week.

Sheryl, your Sunday sounds so nice. Just a fun day out. I've only seen shoots like that on TV shows. Did John enjoy it? How's it going with one good eye and one bad eye? I hope your parents' visit to the assisted living place was a good one.

Isabella, I did see the picture on facebook. How fun and what a nice-looking group. Glad it was a fun time. I hope Anew has cooler weather coming home. Neat on the double wedding. What a neat way to share the teamwork message.
    The new pastor is 60 so he figures he has ten good years left. He wants to give his church 60 days so after we vote and he accepts it will probably be July before he comes. The place he's a pastor now is just 25 miles away so at this point he'll stay at his house. We do have a parsonage available and because of some language from when the house was built (the church owns the house but not the land) only our pastor can live here). So.... a house sitting empty is not good long term.

Well, I think I'll go get the afghan out that I'm doing the cross stitch on. It wouldn't take a year if I would work on it. Sleep tight.
  • mygnsac
    edited May 2015
    Hi everyone.

It was a nice day today. Beautiful weather, low 70s with a slight breeze. Perfect walking weather. I got in a little over 15,000 steps today. Debora, I just dont know how you average 16,000 per day! You put me to shame! I feel like all I did was walk today, and still barely broke 15,000!

Isabella, I saw the pic on Facebook too. I'm glad you had a nice visit!

Sheryl, sounds like you and John had a nice day yesterday, just taking it easy. I like those kinds of days.

Debora, I hope the new pastor is a good fit for your church.

On the drive home from work I stopped at this park. My first time there. Much greener than Jan Park. This park is a little fancier than Jan. It has a couple tennis courts, a real nice playground for kids, and actual bathrooms (instead of a porta potty). I racked up a couple thousand more steps walking the path. Here are some pics. One thing I thought was cool was along the path they have these little stands with grab bars and other devices to help you stetch and work your muscles. Havent seen that before.

pig0l9gp18of.jpg

q5xt4fafqe2o.jpg

10zn7mbj30ex.jpg

vby10vtdxmh7.jpg

fro9xo5ye23p.jpg

This one hits home. Especially the part about being forgetful!

nbdtnhoysm62.jpg

tcpw2e70cnzr.jpg

ue1l0vbg54ad.jpg

46zgm40yiwrp.jpg

2jr0pmiw8jzz.jpg

0p2o3r996wt0.jpg
  • sannferris
    Good Morning. Wow, what a neat park and those exercise bars are amazing. Nice to see that they are not vandalized. Unfortunately, it's too often that anything nice for the public gets ruined so quickly by a few idiots.

I talked to my mom last night, they had a full, tiring day. They like the assisted living, but haven't said an absolute 'yes' yet. My Dad had already gone to bed, he was exhausted and Mom said they had a very good lunch, food was good and there are a lot of activities...maybe almost too much, something going on every hour. I told her she can do as much or as little as she likes. It's her choice. She said that my sister had told them to discuss it and come to a decision within the next few days. I talked to my sister later, and she said that Dad told her yes, but he doesn't think my mom is ready and then Mom told her yes, but she doesn't know if Dad can handle the move. Apparently, they are not saying yes to each other to make the decision final. They have always had trouble with their communication with each other. Norma said she is going to force them to talk to each other, because she is not making their decision for them. Dad needs so much more care now, Mom says that she can't physically help Dad. I told her NOT to, she CAN'T help him at this point. I hope they make the move soon.

So nice to see the photo of the San Diego (Fallbrook) meet-up. Too bad Tere was sick.

I bought cherries yesterday, so good. Today is PT and I think I'll probably go one more time after today, still not really sure. I'll see how today goes. Will stop at another store on my way home today, and then, I should have all my groceries for the week.

John finally put his glasses away and didn't try to put them on yesterday, but did complain that it was hard to focus. I said it will be difficult until the other eye gets done. Only two more days.

• isyvanek
    Wow, what a wonderful park Marcie! I want to walk there! I agree with Sheryl - it is nice that no one has vandalized it.

Sheryl, glad that your parents liked the assisted living. Hopefully they will say yes to each other. Yay that John only has 2 more days before he gets the other eye done. He will be so happy when his vision is clear.

Debora, I can't even imagine having 5 children under the age of 3! I would think 2 sets of twins in a row is almost unheard of. Poor couple are probably VERY tired!

Not much on my agenda today. I think I will gather the piles of loose papers I have on my counter and dresser and try to get them tossed or filed. I will also sew the seam in one of my favorite pants. Then take a walk and relax the rest of the day. We'll see how successful I am at the end of the day! :wink:
  • isyvanek
    edited May 2015
    cgu7dp3owpb6.jpg

040ysh4d0yvf.jpg

I thought I'd try posting a couple pics of the Myrtle Creek botanical Gardens we visited. :)

• jlhawki
    edited May 2015
    Hey all! Love all the pics and glad to see green in most of the pictures!

I've been working to finalize the kitchen plans--what a pain! I went to a different place and got a couple of new ideas which is great but hard to decide what I like best. I showed the plans to my sister and she added a couple of ideas too. It's too much for me, I wish I knew which one would be the best long term :neutral: . I have one more place to go and hope to finally get the finished plans soon!

I'm going to try to post a few pics myself. Have a great rest of the day all :)
  • jlhawki
    a0etx5yzwh8i.jpg Kringle and Winnie at the dog park
  • jlhawki
    aga00jq1451u.jpg Winnie, Kringle's Sable German Shepard friend!
  • jlhawki
    s6u1fz1ej15o.jpg This is the cabinet style and color that I'm pretty sure I am going to get. Maybe :)
  • jlhawki
    wmxikyw2gc7h.jpg Not sure you can tell the real color but this is the basket beige color
  • mygnsac
    edited May 2015
    Hi everyone.

LOVING all these pictures! Isabella, the botanical gardens look beautiful. Jannie, I love all things dog, and those two look so happy at the park!. Nice choice on the cabinet style. Too many choices!!

The last couple days the tooth I had worked on last week has been bothering me, and yesterday it got pretty painful. The dentist got me in this morning, and they wound up having to grind down some of that crown the put on last week. it was just too big for my mouth. Feels great now, but she told me no chewing on that side for a couple days to let the swelling go down.

Haven't walked a lot so far today. Going to the dentist and getting to work late has just thrown off my day. I will probably go for a long walk around the neighborhood at home tonight. Yesterday I wound up with over 17,000 steps for the day. I won't get anywhere near that today!

I did walk enough today to reach the restaurant that sells homemade gelato. Bought myself a one-scoop kiddie sized portion of pistachio gelato. Something soft that I could eat...yeah, right!

Dad took Cisco to the dog park yesterday. He said Cisco kept getting "frisky" with one of the dogs there. It's usually the other way around! He least he doesn't try to hump the cat anymore. Simon put a stop to that early on! I told Dad "that's your dog." My dog is a sweet cuddle bug who would never think of doing any thing like that. Ha!

Yeah, you guys are right about the graffiti in parks. I'm surprised the Jan and the Gibbons parks haven't been vandalized. Or, if they have, the park keepers are staying on top of it. We do have one park nearby (that's the one with the dog park in it that we take Cisco to) where the homeless often gather, but I still don't see too much vandalization (I don't think that's a word, but I'm going with it!) there.

One of my co-workers, who has been out of work for a couple months, returned yesterday to work half days. Apparently she had gotten on her son's motorcycle, fell, and wound up crushing the bones in her ankle. She's going to be in a wheelchair for a long time. They basically have to try and rebuild her an ankle. I told her she had no business being on a motorcycle! I hate those things! She's also about 300 pounds (she's one of those people who had gastric bypass, lost a bunch of weight, didn't take the opportunity to learn how to properly feed herself, and then put a lot back on). She just looks so miserable right now.

Sheryl, this must be so hard on your family right now. I hope Norma is successful in getting those two together to reach a decision about the move. It's too bad that John said no to the eye patch. It helped Dad a lot when he had his cataracts removed. I bet John is going to be soooo happy once the other eye is done and his vision is improved.

Well, I'm going to close and finish out the day. Have a great evening everyone!