Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    Good Morning. More computer problems with the HP, keep getting a security error message, so, this is short and I'll try to figure out what to do. I may let it go because I have so much else to do to prepare for our trip.
  • jlhawki
    jlhawki Posts: 225 Member
    fs4ym28bissi.jpg

This is where we are with the kitchen so far-- The permanent walls are up and most of the open area is where the peninsula is going to go. I'm trying to pick out tile and think I may have found it finally. So shocking how different everything looks at my house compared to the store. I brought home one I was sure was going to be way to dark and it looked almost white in my kitchen.

Cabinets are due in Sept. 4th, installed the 10th, then countertops templated on the 15th, installed on the 30th. That means by the end of September I may be pretty much up and running!! :):):)

Sheryl-- the watering stations look great! Hope you have a great trip and get lots done! I hope it isn't too stressful for John (or you because of John) and you can get to selling your mom's house. Love hearing from Granny thru you.

Anew-- good job really utilizing all your space! When you have a small kitchen, every inch counts :) I really love the bench at the end of your bed. I don't have room for that in my bedroom but would like to if I did have room.

Carla-- glad you stopped in! So glad to hear that you and Tony are doing well :)

Aero-- once again you amaze me with all you do! Do you ever just do little or nothing? Sounds like your 4H'ers are lucky to have you!

Ivanek-- how's the wall? Glad to see you stopping in more often!

Marcie-- I have always said that the Rav4 is going to be my next car. I'm excited to hear that it's bigger than before, with the boys I'll need that! Have you had any more rain? We are finally dried up and my grass is starting to look a little parched. Last year it looked bad by the 4th of July so we've gone a long time this year! Glad you are enjoying all the fruit :)]

Going to go now, hope everyone has a great weekend!

• sannferris
    Good Morning. I'm back on the Dell, with the new hard drive, boy! does this thing work fast now. Just zipping right along with no hesitation. I do need to go through and re-customize it to our liking. Some things I remembered how to do, but others, I'll have to research all over again since I've only done it when we got a new computer or a new hard drive. I finally remembered that changing the scrolling in Excel from three lines at a time to moving only one line at a time was by adjusting the mouse. Control panel - hardware - mouse - wheel. I also changed the look of the arrow from small white to large black. I am trying to change the double click to a single click, but can't find that on the mouse page and don't know where else to look. It's starting all over again...again. Really need to permanently get rid of the EULA that we have to agree to every time we open Excel or Word. How annoying.

Sue, so great to see you here. I also have the procrastinator bug. I have owed you a long email for such a long time. It seems that the longer I wait...the longer I wait some more. I have a friend in California that I haven't even informed that I was starting to feel sick, so that means we haven't spoken in over two years. She doesn't have email, so I really need to call her. She'll NEVER recognize my voice.

John is up already, so I'll sign off for now.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hi all, I'm getting here a bit late today. I went in to work at 6am till 10:45 then to Office Depot to look for a new chair for work because the hydraulics no longer work on my chair and I feel like I am practically sitting on the floor. Then to Trader Joe's and home. Made lunch, cut up a mini watermelon and now here. I have some tomatoes sitting around and lots of Fresno chiles from my plant to use up so I got out one of the gadgets I bought at the fair many years ago called a salsa master and I plan to make some home made salsa later. Hope it turns out well. I don't have any lemon to put in it but I don't think it will be greatly missed. I'll let you know how it goes. Temps here have been in the mid to high 90's this week! I bet Marcie is getting major triple digits!

Too funny about the Tupperware. I used to buy so much of it that hubby finally told me I had to join TA (Tupperware anonymous)! He said for every new piece I brought in an old piece had to go out. I think you're right I haven't heard of anyone having a Tupperware party in many years. Last time I tried to find a "Tupperware lady" so I could replace a lid all I could find was an on line Tupperware guy! I only have a few pieces now that I use only for cold stuff like pasta salad or watermelon. The rest of my containers are all snap lock glass lock containers or pyrex with lids.

Sheryl, for the single click mouse instead of the double click go to the control panel then to the folder options and the first tab, I think it is called "general", will have the option to make it single click or double click. Let me know if you find it.
    So great to hear that not only did Christina get her disability but also the back pay since her appeal. What a blessing! I know it must have given her great peace of mind.
    Hope your cousin does well with the knee surgery. I hear that the recovery is difficult and painful but people are very happy with the results once they come thru on the other side.
    Sounds like your trip to CA will be nice taking the scenic route. It's great to have the hotels booked and everything. I've heard of taking Hwy 101 which everyone says is such slow going but I never heard of taking old Hwy 395. I know we have a portion of old 395 right by my house but I had no idea it goes all the way to Washington. I'll have to mention it to Dan if we ever take another driving trip.

Anew, sorry you're having a hard time sleeping again. Hopefully it won't last too long. Interesting about the natural hair dye. Makes sense. Glad it didn't give you any type of reaction. Liked reading about the closet redo. Very clever. You two can pull that off with no problems!

Carla, you can definitely do the road trip. Good advice from Anew to give Tony your planned route and check in regularly so he knows you're OK. Let us know what you decide.

Debora, Happy Anniversary! Congrats on 40 yrs. That is so cool. How was your trip? How was your meet up with Granny? I know you had a great time. Did you get to see her new town? Glad you don't have to cook on the Sunday of your anniversary weekend. Where did you go to dinner? What is a norwex party??

Jannie, The remodel is really shaping up and there's light at the end of the tunnel. I know what you mean about tile, etc. looking totally different when you get it home. We found this out when we bought this house and were changing the floor from linoleum to tile. The gal at the flooring store made us take some tile choices home to see how it looked in our house before purchasing and we're really glad she did. I think granite counter top pieces would be another thing I'd want to see in my kitchen before spending all that money.
    The wall is finished and looks pretty good (although Dan doesn't like it as much as I do). Now we are waiting for the contractor to have time to come and paint it. We can't use colored stucco because it has to match the paint on the house.

Sue, so glad to see you here! Glad you could stop in. Hopefully you'll visit more often. Major bummer about hitting the deer. So glad you weren't injured. Does the car seem sound after the repairs? Your knee replacement plan sounds good. Hope it works when put into practice. As I mentioned above I have heard that the recovery is painful but very worth it when it's all done. Keep up with the physical therapy and you'll do great.

Marcie, where are you?! Don't you love us anymore? Miss you. Saw your Quinoa, edamame, and feta recipe on facebook. Sounds wonderful. I'm going to make it next week.

Well, I've been sitting in this chair for far too long. I think I'll go read my book and make my salsa in my salsa master gadget. :) Take care everyone!

• sannferris
    Good Morning. John is already up, so this will be short.

Isabella, thank you for the computer tip...it worked perfectly, Yay!!!

Only two more days before we leave to head South, so much to do. Hope to have more time to chat tomorrow morning.
  • sannferris
    Isabella, I just sent you an email. I thought I'd also note it here, in case you look here first.
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member

We had a good trip. We took off at 6 am and stopped for breakfast along the way. We always look for a McDonald's cause Ralph likes their pancakes. The first day of traveling we had three stops to visit. The first one was Granny. It was fun to meet her in person. She was sitting outside but I wasn't sure it was her so walked past her. Her hair is a bit longer than on facebook and I think she has different glasses. I got a tour of her apartment. It isn't large but it is really nice and she has it decorated so nicely. I saw where Cavin gets to play and where she gets her hair done (right in the building). There are a lot of pluses to this place. She really seems to be enjoying this new place. It's not as convenient for G-ma to drop by but she plans to come every Monday. We only got to stay about an hour cause we had to be somewhere by noon but if we every go that way again, we'll stop. She told us there's a small bus that will take them to different shopping places and the guy that drives the bus is 92. About dropped my teeth at that.

Then we had lunch with a former couple from our church. We had a hard time finding their place and it wasn't a fancy meal but the fellowship was wonderful. She is 93 and has the hump in her back so it wasn't until she sat down that she could see us. He is only 88 and does all the cooking. Then we went to a couple of stores looking at books and then to one of Ralph's cousins for supper and had a delicious meal there. Then we hunted up our motel. We chose one that didn't cost a lot but it worked for us. After a full day on Thursday, we slept in. Then Friday we went to three bookstores and one thrift store and Big Lots. We bought something everywhere we went (mostly books). :) Our last stop (besides getting gas) was at Applebees about 11 pm where we got two appetizers for half price and we got home shortly after midnight (on our anniversary).

Saturday I straightened the house and got the gifts ready for today. I made a freezer meal for a family that recently had a baby and some other little things. I ran into the small town to get some things for the meal and as much as I like to support them realize why I don't get a lot there. I had hamburger I could have used but the dad is trying to eat beef cause it has a lot of iron and he has too much iron in his blood. They take some blood out almost every week trying to get the levels down. Did feel like I did that much but the day zoomed past.

Today was SS and church. Finally heard the pastor and it was good. He's preaching through the beatitudes and today was Blessed are the meek. From there we went to a nearby town and all the kids met us at a Chinese restaurant - celebrated two of the August birthdays and our 40th wedding anniversary. We brought DGST home with us and made sure he got to the Youth Group party. Now I have my list made for tomorrow. The week is not filled up yet but I'm sure it will be and if it doesn't I have plenty at home to do. If I could just make myself move faster, maybe I'd get more done. Ha.

Jannie, thanks for the picture of your kitchen. Will there be a time when you can use the kitchen for any amount of time? I wouldn't think that things would look that much different at home. Glad you're checking everything out carefully. I'll enjoy any pictures you send us along the way.
    You guys don't realize how much time I just sit. I just know how to write to make myself look busy.

Sheryl, how you get the Dell running like you like it soon. Wow, just two days till you leave and then you're on the road and then at the house and then on the road. You will be missed while you are gone. And unfortunately, it will wipe out all your logging days. It started me over again even though I logged both days of being gone while I got home. I don't have a way of getting on here when I'm gone. Guess that's my main complaint with MFP. Granny is not logging but she's keeping the weight off and she is walking every day. She said she takes her cane but doesn't really use it much.

Isabella, I hope your work place will pay for your new chair. Sitting comfortable makes it easier to work. How did the salsa turn out. I think I have one of those machines but was never very successful with it. But I can't get myself to let it go. Ha. Glad the wall is done. What color will it be painted? Hopefully, that gets done soon so you can quit thinking about that project.
    I already told you about the trip and meeting Granny. I did tell her about the ones that drop in here to chat. Norwex is cleaning stuff that just uses water (but still costs a lot). I bought one of their cloths but it didn't work that well for me. Maybe I'm just not a good cleaner. I'm sure you could google the products.

Since we don't have to pick up Thomas from the party, I guess I can head for bed. Alan is going to get him so he can pick up the 4-wheeler too. Like I said, I hope to be at home tomorrow but have lots of things I'd like to take care of. Just thought today I'd like to make some cinnamon twists this week. I used to make them fairly often so need to see if I still can and then it would be fun to take some on our family weekend (as a surprise of course so if it doesn't happen, no one knows). :) Good night. Have a great Monday.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hi everyone, it's been a busy couple of days for me although my days will never be very full before I lose my energy and am able to stand on my feet for too long, lol. Friday my husband took the day off so we could get my retired military ID renewed and verify I was still listed on DEERS since my card expired and I didn't realize it. Oh my that is not a good thing to do you know because insurance can deny a claim and not approve referrals in the system. All is good though, have a brand new ID that I love the pic on and I am still listed on DEERS so now I am legit for another 4 years.

We went to Starbucks for an overpriced coffee each, shared a piece of quiche and a cookie for lunch and then went to Petsmart, Hobby Lobby looking for ideas on decorating the little coffee bar and did some shopping at Sams Club. We go there about once every three or four months so we were overdue on purchases.

I've been keeping the house clean and making my bed daily so I am pleased with myself and it made it easy to have some friends over for a late lunch/early dinner of tacos. I haven't had those in months so I thought I had a brand new food, lol.

My husband has been cutting up the door for my kitchen island and little coffee bar only to find it wasn't a solid core door between the panels after all. He did a good job though and is such a smart problem solver and took a 2x4 and cut it to fit inside the door making it solid on the edge. It should work just fine and I can't wait to see how it all turns out but I am sure it will be a good couple of three months because things have to be ordered and money has to be slowly laid out. I need good casters and a butcher block top for both of them which I found at a great price, I just have to be able to spend that great price at once, lol.

Everything is due to be renewed this month insurance on truck and trailers, registrations and inspections on almost everything we own. Oh my gosh that means RV, car trailer, and my truck which still needs new tires. I hope it passes with a spare on it, lol. This means they want us to hook up a 39' RV to the back of my husbands truck and drive it about 25 miles from home to be inspected. This also means the car trailer has to be done the same way and both are in storage on our insurance and now means we have to take it out of storage and pay a higher rate on both for a minimum 30 days until we can put them back in storage. I think my head is spinning!

Sctacke-Glad to see you here and I'll join you on the procrastinating. I really need to get back to total balance on all my days.

Arobed53-How was your trip? I hope you had a fantastic time. Tupperware parties are still held but most sales are done at fairs and such. There is a lady my husband used to work with who sells it, I don't need anymore though since I stopped using most plastic except for the RV when we used it permanently. The lighter the weight the better in those things.

Jlhawki-your kitchen project looks like it's coming along well, I can't wait to see the pics.

isyvanek-LOL on the Tupperware anon, you must have really had a lot, lol. I still can't get that thought of needing something like that to address it out of my head, lol. I still have the pool party Tupperware that came out in the 90's, it was soft sided, stacked well and came in pretty light colors, and I also have a dark blue tray they sit on. I have never opened it because my moms was ruined pretty fast. I think I should sell it on Etsy or something because it's taking up hall closet space, lol. I'm with you, where is Marcie?

Sanferris-Glad you got a new hard drive for your computer, it is nice to see you here. I also hope you have a great trip.

Well all, I think I am going to get off here and try to get some sleep tonight, I have been having trouble again but I hope I did enough today to tire myself out and fall asleep easier. Good night!
  • sannferris
    edited August 2015
    Good Morning. It's so great to read about what everybody is doing. I like these nice long posts. Mine seem to be short these days...nothing new, same old routine.
    Today, I go in for more blood work, my numbers were too high last Wednesday and the doctor changed my warfarin dosage and wanted another test at "one week", I said that I'd be out of state on Wednesday, so I'll go in today and hopefully it's back down to where it should be and I stay on the schedule of going in September 4th. We had already scheduled blood draw appointments 3 weeks apart.

We're getting things as ship-shape as possible for while we are gone. John cleaned out the stalls, usually not a big problem because the llamas are very neat and clean animals, but it still needed tending to. I cleaned out the pool for the ducks and geese. It looks so great after a cleaning and refilled with fresh water, but, it doesn't stay that way for long. Everything else will wait for us to return in two weeks. "There's always tomorrow" is my motto.

Debora, so glad you had a nice visit with Granny. She emailed me right away and told me all about it and how wonderful it was to meet you and Ralph. She really likes her new place and she seems to be coming out of her depression now. She also said that she had Claire and Chloe over for their first sleep-over in her new apartment, at first, they didn't like it, but soon said that they want to come over again and again.
    The other friends that you visited are the same ages as my parents. And, was the same situation...Mom uses a walker and hardly gets around and my Dad was the much more active one and got things done as best he could. Mom is simply lost without him. I still suspect that she won't be with us much over a year, if even that long, she'll die of loneliness.

Yes, MFP keeps track of the days that we log on to the site, not logging food or exercise. My track record looks good because I come here every morning, not because I log all my food. I'll have to start over when I return from CA. I may pop in at the end of the month if we're at my sister's house by then, but we'll have no internet access at the Pasadena house. Hopefully, we'll get the garage cleaned out in a few days and can go to Norma's to go through books and photos. Mom has hundreds of music books...hymnals, gospels and choruses, the whole series of "Favorites", but I don't need hers, I have the whole series of my own.

The trouble I had with Tupperware Parties was that they seem to obligate you to attend others, because those people came to yours and it's a vicious cycle. During the 70's, when I lived in Wisconsin, I must have gone to twenty or thirty of them. When I moved back to California, I stopped. That was my TA and put an end to it. I realized how much I had when I had to pack it all up to move it.

Well, I guess today, after my blood work and fueling up the car, I'll start packing it. Not taking too much, to leave room for anything that we want to bring home. I'll take a leisurely day and prepare to work my butt off next week.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Good morning everyone.

I think I'm all caught up reading everyone's posts. Was in and out last week and not much to talk about.

It's going to be a hot day today. It got to 103 yesterday and today it's supposed to get to around 106. It's only a little after 9 am now and it's already hot out there! A good day to be at work in an air conditioned building. The air quality isn't that great either. Kind of smells like burning rubber. It's coming from one (or more) of the forest fires outside of the city. CA is a tinderbox right now.

Dad and I made a pact to stay strong and not give Cisco human food or too many dog treats. We started him on YET another brand of dog food, and that's all he's been given to eat since last Thursday. He balked the first couple days, but over the weekend he's gotten on board the whole dog food eating thing. He still gives us the sad eyes when we are eating our meals, but we are staying strong. Ha!

I found out this weekend that our neighborhood has a Nextdoor website where neighbors can talk to each other, lost and found, garage sales, lost pets, alerting each other of things goings on in the neighborhood, etc. Signed up for it. Apparently Dad has been a member for quite a while now. Per some of the posts I read over there, daytime home invasions seem to be on the rise, and one lady said she caught an intruder trying to break into her house at 1 am the other night. He ran off once she started yelling. Scary. One thing I find curious on that website is that most of the neighbors on it haven't posted their picture. They always post to say we should all greet each other when we are out and about, but don't post a picture so we know who is who.

Deborah, that's so great that you and Ralph could stop and visit with Granny. Glad to hear she is enjoying her new home.

Sheryl, I hope you and John and a good and safe trip. I'm so sorry to hear your Mom is so unhappy. Good job getting that waterer fixed. It looks great!

Jannie, I can't wait to see how your kitchen will turn out. I bet it will be beautiful!

Isabella, of course I love y'all! Just be unusually quiet. Did you find a new chair for work yet? I bought one for myself about 15 years ago because I didn't like the chairs the office gave us. The finally started giving us good chairs about 10 years ago, so I stopped using the chair I bought. That chair is still somewhere here in the office. It kind of floats from person to person when they want something other than what the office provides.

Sctacke, it was great hearing from you. I hope you find time to pop in some more!

Anew, your bedroom looks so pretty, and I love the bench at the end of the bed! I've never been to a Tupperware party, but have the stuff my mom got. I never use it. Just takes up room in the cupboard.

Better get to work. Have a wonderful day!!

• anewstart22
    edited August 2015
    Hello everyone and good evening. Things have been slow around here, just keeping up with the house. I am currently looking for a really old electric roaster oven because the one I bought last year new is just junk I tell ya. The insert does not come clean at all and I found a lot of horrible reviews regarding it. I had contacted the Nesco company last year after I bought it and couldn't get it clean so they of course said try this and that. I did try all they said and just put it on the shelf in disappointment because it was not better than before I contacted them. Part of the problem is that it stinks when cooking and it is sticky to the touch so I don't know what the problem is with it.

The other day when our friends were over she asked me about it so I brought it out and showed her. I decided to contact the company again and they say they will replace the cook well for me but I have to box it up and ship it back. I can only imagine what the cost of that is so I think I will just bite the bullet on this one and buy an old one from someone who doesn't want theirs anymore. It will be much larger than the 6 qt I bought last year but at least I know I can clean the thing so that is a major plus for me. Is there a hidden closet somewhere I can store it? Hello, anyone? LOL.

Thanks everyone for the responses to my room decor, I love it too and it has taken me ten years to get there, lol. This is my first time in life ever having a nice bedroom so I am quite happy that I have been able to get to an almost finished point. The reason I say it has taken almost 10 years to decorate it is because I am using some things I had made 10 years ago and had them in my room at my other house. It still wasn't done, I had curtains, pillows and that throw done with matching bathroom shower side curtains and valance. That was all I had because my bed was just on a frame, no headboard or footboard and I had plastic storage boxes for nightstands, lol but at least I had the nice things I made.

It really all came together this year after slowly adding things since we moved in here 3 years ago. First it was the bench at the foot of the bed and I saw the door with ships on it on the guys wall when he pointed it out to me. I asked if he was selling that but the answer was no at the time, they were moving so I was hoping they would call and offer me to purchase it. He did about 4 weeks later. Then last year we bought the bedroom furniture and the lamps at the same time. Then I decided I wanted a vanity from the old nightstands with a repurpose of my dining room mirror above it and here we are, so I am very happy with it. Now to find the curtains and the rods so I can hang them and stain the vanity top.

Mygnsac-it's good to see you again.

I hope you all have a great day!

• arobed53
    I did get Monday at home. And I feel like I got some things done although there's always so much more to do. Tuesday I took off and got the three grandkids in 4-H and we went to take care of their Buyer's Ribbons. It took longer than I thought it would but one was an individual and we had to wait till noon t find him at home and then he lived about 15 minutes from the town we were in. When we got back to their house, I did dishes, worked on laundry and held the baby of course. She's growing so quickly.

Today I was home for part of the morning and then had a three hour lunch with a friend. I splurged and got the mushroom burger. It was good. I went by the bank and got the new 4-H banner put up, left a poster for a 4-Her and deposited the grandkids checks. Was home for awhile again and then spent a strong hour helping a 4-H family learn how to do their record books. Tomorrow I should be home until Bible study so need to get my list made. Today was like a fall day - started out at 56 and only got up to about 76.

Anew, glad you got your DEERS renewed. You are doing so great at keeping your house up. I love it. Sounds like a bit of work to get the RV taken care of but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Sheryl, I know you won't ready this till you get back, but hope it's a great trip and it all goes well. I remember the "Favorites".

Marcie, yay for being tough with Cisco and doing what's best for him. Interesting about the Nextdoor website.

Nothing exciting going on. Need to go finish logging my food to see if I can have a bedtime snack - ha. Talk to you later.
  • mygnsac
    Morning everyone.

My alarm didn't go off this morning (I could have sworn I set it last night, but maybe I didn't) so I woke up 2 hours late! I rushed to get to work and wound up only being 60 minutes late. Not a great way to start the day.

That pesky heatwave is no more, for now at least. It's only supposed to get to the upper 80s low 90s today. I'll take that! It cooled down last night really good, but when I opened the windows and turned on the whole house fan, the house filled with the smell of smoke from one of the nearby wildfires. The smoke comes in quickly.

My Dad told me that Cisco gave him a big ol wet kiss yesterday when they were napping together. I told him welcome to my world. A day never goes by when that sniper tongue dog doesn't get me. Ha! It's about time Cisco starts sharing the love!

I made another batch of watermelon popcicles last night, but this batch didn't do well at all. I think the watermelon was too old. The fiber separated from the juice, so half of each popcicle is frozen watermelon juice and the other half is the watermelon fiber. Will have to try again tonight with some of the fresh watermelon. Bummer.

I think Dad is getting a little annoyed with his walking group. It keeps growing and a couple of the women like to "stroll" and chitchat instead of walk at a faster pace. He says he tries to get in front of the group and set the pace, but that's not working. That's one of the problems I have walking in groups. Everyone has they own pace preference. He'll keep going, but will just gripe to me. This morning the slow walkers weren't their so they walked a bit faster. Dad took Cisco with him on that walk and said he was really good about not trying to stop and smell every blade of grass.

We've held our guns when feeding Cisco this week. When we put his dog food down for him, he still balks at first. He gives me that "you must be joking" look and backs away from it. But, usually by 10 pm he's given in and eats the yucky stuff. He just has to be sure that Dad and I aren't eating anything better. Sigh. One of these days he will be like the dogs on commercials who are excited when they are given a bowl of dog food. Fingers crossed.

The vet tells me I should start getting Simon (my cat) used to eating canned cat food, so in the future when he's older and can't chew the kibble, he will have that option. I don't know how I'm going to get that finicky cat to eat anything but kibble. When we had Casey, he loved canned food and people food, but Simon has always only wanted to eat kibble. Gonna have to figure that one out.

Anew, I hope you like the used roaster. We have one that we almost never use. Lately we've used it more as a bread box than anything.

Debora, a 3-hour lunch and a mushroom burger sounds great to me! Glad you allowed the splurge. My Dad tried out a new hamburger joint for lunch yesterday called The Habit. Said they are really good and reasonably priced. Will have to give them a try on my next burger. I usually get one from somewhere each month. I love see you in the 5-letter game out in the main forum. When go there, be sure to look at the page number on the post. We usually return to the last page we played on, but often, the game has progressed beyond that page, so we need to go the last page to find the current 5 letters.

Better close and eat some lunch before I get back to work. Just having a hardboiled egg and some vanilla greek yogurt with granola. I've been on a yogurt kick lately.

Have a nice day/evening everyone.
  • anewstart22
    Good morning everyone, went through the headache deal again but it's gone now. I used to get pulsating throbbing migraines now it seems to be a real slow throb and general discomfort in my head. I have a lot of old injury and do think I am causing it to flare up with all my activity so I just have to remember to do less but it seems I don't do enough already, lol.

I have a funny story to tell, my friends birthday is today and she requested my potato salad. She loves it (well everyone loves it) and usually requests it for holidays and such. I usually make a double batch so my husband can eat to his hearts content because he loves it too! So last night we were talking and I asked him to make a store run because I didn't have everything I needed for it so he said just make a small amount. I told him there wouldn't be any leftovers for him and if he wanted some he needed to get it while he can. I explained to him potato salad is not on my list of things to do next week because it's too painful to stand there and peel the potatoes. So, he went to the store to fulfill my list and I was prepared to make a lot of potato salad with the knowledge there would be leftovers for the birthday girl and plenty left over for my husband.

I woke up this morning to an entire 6 to 7 pounds of potatoes peeled and sitting in water in the pan, lol. Well, I guess were having mashed potatoes because I don't peel potatoes to make potato salad. What a sweet thing that he thought of me and took the time out of his busy morning to help me out before he went to work, lol. He will be sorely disappointed that we are having lots of mashed potatoes and a very small amount of potato salad at the birthday bash, lol. There will be about 30 people there so I hope they like garlic mashed potatoes.

Well, that is about it for my day, I have the potatoes cooking now and will finish those up in about 20 minutes or so then I will start on the leftover potatoes to make the potato salad.

I hope you all have a great day!
  • mygnsac
    Morning everyone

Our perfect weather (if you don't count the smokey air) continues. It may not even get out of the 80s today. I'm enjoying it. I'm sure we have some more triple digit days ready to pounce.

As the sun was setting yesterday, the sun had a really pretty deep orange/red color. Seems the really spectacular sunsets here always involve smoke and/or smog plus clouds. I tried to take a picture of it, but my camera filtered out most of the color.

My neighbor, the lady across the street who invited us to her 4th of July party, emailed me last night and wants to go walking with me tonight after work. It's funny that just yesterday I posted here that I don't care for walking with others because we all have our own paces, and now I'm going to be walking with my neighbor.

I don't know what the dog of mine got into, but he had some dried gunky stuff all over him last night. So, he got a sponge bath. I always do a body check and run my hand over him each night to make sure he doesn't have any stickers (or anything else) in him from walking with Dad. He needs a bath. Dad doesn't want to take him back to the groomers they were going to (he hasn't been pleased with them lately) so we are either going to have to start giving him baths or find another place. Some of the pet stores of bathing stations in the back where we can give him a bath without having to bend down low like we would at home, so we may check into that.

I splurged a little this morning (calorie-wise) and picked up an iced cinnamon roll from the La Bou's bakery across the street from work. Those things are so yummy. I have one once every couple months. I usually cut off the bottom half of the roll and throw that away. I don't need that much dough in one sitting. While I was there I picked up a piece of apple cake to take home for Dad. He likes those.

Debora, do you think we should set up a NM group on Walking 4 Fun? I figured out this morning how to sync to my Fitbit account, so I won't have to manually enter my steps, and I see you, Pam and Judy in the list of friends, but you are all mixed with other people...I'm assuming "Deb" is you. I also see a "Christina" in the list, buy I don't know if it's our Christina.

Anew, glad that headache lifted. They are no fun. That was sweet of your hubby to get those potatoes for you. I'll bet your potato salad it really yummy. I make a good macaroni salad that gets raves when I take it to parties or potlucks. I always make a little extra too for Dad and I.

Better get back to work now. Have a nice day and a great weekend everyone.
  • arobed53
    Thursday went as planned and I never get as much done at home as I hope I will. Bible study group was small but we had a good time. We're getting ready to start a new study which will be on food. Today I walked and then went to town and did my errands. I brought home Chinese for dinner - sodium is the biggest culprit with it but it sure tastes good. I feel good about what I did this afternoon. I finally got the write-up for Willing Workers done and some walking outside since it was cool. Tomorrow I'll work on stuff for Sunday and we have a birthday party for Aven to go to at 5. She is turning 4. She wanted a unicorn party so it will be interesting to see what mom came up with. It's also supposed to be a swim party and I'm not sure it will be warm enough but I don't swim so no problem for me.

Marcie, bummer on oversleeping. That rushing around is crazy but you did it good. How did the walking with the neighbor. I enjoy the visiting the friend and I get done when we walk. Sounds like your dad's group is getting too large - too many different speeds in it. But how do you stop. Maybe you can slowly mix some canned food with the Kibble. The friend Wednesday got a chicken salad but with the amount of dressing she put on it, it probably wan't real low calorie.

Anew, glad the headache didn't last long. 6-7 pounds of potatoes is a lot of potatoes for two people. Sweet of you hubby to peel them. I had to use up some potatoes the other day so I made mashed potatoes and froze them ice cream scoop size (should have done it sooner) and that will help with quick meals. What all goes into your potato salad?

Marcie, we're having extra nice weather here too. Supposed to last a couple more days. Oh my, hope Cisco says out of what he got into. Does he enjoy his baths? Yum on the cinnamon roll. A NM group would be fun but guess I'll see if more talk about signing up. I would be listed as Debora or Arobed. I wondered if you have all private groups showing up. Under groups, do fitbit friends and then you'll have a smaller list. I just have you and Elaine. I like having a trail again and especially having it sych for me. And how do you make your macaroni salad?

By the clock, I should head for bed. For fun, I went and scrolled through all the channels I can get. I found one with old game shows - the old 'Let's Make A Deal" with Monty Hall is on. I'm been surprised at what was allowed to be said on same game shows back in the 60s. Enjoy the weekend.
  • mygnsac
    Debora, thanks. I see the Fitbit Friends group now, shows you, Judy, Pam and me so far. Hope more of our fitbit friends join in too. I've only given Cisco 2 baths so far (the night of 2 skunkings last summer) and he didn't much care for it. Not sure hiw he does when he's at the groomers. I'll wrie up the macaroni salad recipe and post it next time. It's mostly from memory, one if those a little bit of this and a little bit of that things.

My neighbor whimped out on me. She said it was too hot out (it was in the upper 80s) and she was tired. Says she'll let me know when she wants to try again. I suggested walking at night and she liked the idea. I prefer walking at night anyway. It's usually nice and cool, and the neighborhood is quiet and peaceful.

Night all.
  • anewstart22
    Good morning everyone, it is quite humid and hot out here today. We had a good bunch of rain which soaked in real good but now we get the extra humidity to go with it. My friends party went well and we had a good group size with lots of her family. While sleeping I woke up to sirens and lights on a patrol car that was so loud it seemed to be in my backyard. It was so strange because it startled me and the patrol car was actually about two blocks away. I don't know if the air was thinner so the noise carried or what but it was startling to say the least.

Mygnsac-I don't have a used electric roaster yet, I have been checking online but I don't want to spend $50 on shipping costs alone plus the price of the roaster so I will try to find something around here. There isn't much choice on where to shop though because we don't have too many resale shops around here.

Arobed53-LOL, yes that would be a lot of mashed potatoes for the two of us, he was trying to help me by peeling potatoes before he went to work but the problem is I don't peel potatoes before I make the potato salad so I had a whole pan of peeled potatoes ready to be cooked, lol. I made both mashed potatoes and potato salad for the party but brought home quite a bit of mashed so I will use them this week on a cottage pie or something.

As far as my potato salad goes I fill a stockpot with unpeeled russets and add the water, then boil until the fork pulls out easily after sticking in the center. I let the potatoes cool until I can handle them and peel them using a paring knife, after all are peeled I begin the chopping into small pieces. Then I add ingredients I chopped while the potatoes were cooking. I add chopped onion, chopped dill and sweet pickles, salt and pepper to taste and boiled eggs and then mix it all up. Then I add Hellman's or Best Foods mayonnaise and stir until well mixed then put in the refrigerator to chill. The amounts are really up to individual taste, chop as much as you want.

When I have it out on the table I always put the stainless steel bowl into a container filled with ice and somewhat hover to make sure it is always covered and kept cold. I always make sure it stays covered and cold because I don't want anyone getting sick from my potato salad and that's how folks get sick, by not keeping it cold and covered. It seems to be working, nobody has ever had a problem but some folks might think I am a bit strange, lol

Well, everyone have a great day today!
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hi everyone, getting ready to go to a college graduation party for the son of an old friend. Dan isn't going and I don't want to stay too long. I'll stop at trader joe's on the way home. We'll probably watch one of the old movies we recorded off the Turner Classic Movies channel. We really enjoy them. Last night we watched "Cabin in the Sky". It is a great movie with an all black cast. Ethel Waters was the main character - man can she sing! Eddie "Rochester" Anderson was the male lead.Lena Horne was also in the movie.

I haven't gotten my office chair yet but I went to Office Depot and Staples to "test drive" them. I found one that will work at Office Depot for $199 and the good news is that with our company discount it is only $119 and my boss approved the cost. I will put in the order but I want to sit in it one more time this weekend to be sure. :)

Sheryl, I know you're already on your road trip. I hope it goes well. I can't wait to hear what John will want to bring home. Too funny that you joined TA by not attending any more parties when you got to CA. So glad to hear that Granny is doing so well at her new place. It sounds so much better than her last situation!

Debora, sounds like your trip went well and your visit with Granny was nice even tho it was short. The salsa came out really good but it was really hot! I only put one of our fresno chiles in but it was more than enough! I made another batch this morning and it was a tad milder. Still only one pepper but it wasn't as hot. I used a couple more tomatoes for one thing. The wall was primed Thursday. They didn't do a very good job and used 2 different colors! They are scheduled to paint it on Monday and refuse to put on more than 1 coat. Dan is going to let them do it and be done with them then either get someone else to paint it correctly or finish it himself. Yes, I will be SO glad when it is over with and off our plate!!!!!

Anew, it is so nice to keep up with your house. I have to do more of that! It is fun when you haven't had a food for a while like your tacos and you can savor and appreciate it more. Your potato salad sounds wonderful! I make mine pretty much the same way except I leave the skin on and I don't use the pickles although I like other people's salad when they do. I'll have to try it some time. It makes sense to use both the sweet and the dill pickles.

Marcie, so nice to have you back! I've missed you!!!! Too funny about Cisco and his dog food. I had a dog that would act finicky about her food so we'd give her something else. We finally realized that if we just gave her the dog food and nothing else she would eventually eat it. We have a Habit hamburger joint here. We liked it OK but there are so many really great hamburger places that we don't go there often. The one here can be kinda smokey inside like they didn't vent the grill in the kitchen well enough or something...
    Looking forward to a copy of your mac salad when you get a chance.

Well, gotta get going. I'll try to check in later or tomorrow.
  • jlhawki
    jlhawki Posts: 225 Member
    klwuoryg03u7.jpg

Hi all! I'm working in Cape (one of my 24 hour shifts) and wanted to send a new updated pic. Joe (my construction guy) got so much done these last 3 days. He moved the water lines into the wall studs (they were in the middle of the floor?), put a new line in for the refrigerator ice maker, moved the gas line and ran the electrical lines for the microwave, oven and light over the sink! And he got the dry wall filled in :) He has done so many hidden things but we are finally getting to the floor. Once the tile are in and grouted, I can paint and wait for the cabinets! So exciting but exhausting at the same time.

Ivanek--how was the graduation party? I have an office chair that my mom and dad gave me about 10 years ago and it is still going strong. It is comfy and swivels which I love!

Anew--the potato salad sounds good and I've never had garlic mashed potatoes but I bet they are good!

Debora--a unicorn party sounds fun! Might be tough to find decorations although I guess you could use 'horsey' things and add the horn :)

Sheryl-- hope your trip is going well!

Marcie--that smoky air sounds horrible! I keep praying that 'El Nino' will help with the drought and then you won't have to worry so much about the fires. Our weather has been especially cool and we haven't used the air for 4 days now. That's pretty unheard of here in August!

Sorry to bore you all with my kitchen stuff, it's been consuming all my time! The boys started back to school and so far so good. I know that they will be exhausted next week because they only had 2 days this week :(

Going to go, I will try to check in soon :)