* 3 tablespoons molasses
    * 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    * 1/2 cup ketchup
    * 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    * 1/4 cup brown sugar

Directions
    1. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Simmer the beans in the same water until tender, approximately 1 to 2 hours. Drain and reserve the liquid.
    2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
    3. Arrange the beans in a 2 quart bean pot or casserole dish by placing a portion of the beans in the bottom of dish, and layering them with bacon and onion.
    4. In a saucepan, combine molasses, salt, pepper, dry mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over beans. Pour in just enough of the reserved bean water to cover the beans. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
    5. Bake for 3 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until beans are tender. Remove the lid about halfway through cooking, and add more liquid if necessary to prevent the beans from getting too dry.

* bacon can be reduced if desired, just use proper old fashioned smoked bacon, have it sliced 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick, easier to get a nice even dice.

*if you don't have a beanpot, use a tall ovenproof vessel with a cover.

Very tasty too.
    Roger

BTW he has a recipe for Cheese Cake that is well liked too if anybody is interested.
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,369 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hey Roger, thanks for the recipes. Would have to use gluten free beer too...that might mess up the recipe, but my children might like that one. :)
    It's all gray and overcast here today...rained for a little while. I did some light housecleaning and some laundry, now just hanging out.
    Gotta do prep for a colonoscopy tomorrow, the procedure is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. Kept trying to put it off, but now will be happy when it's over.
    Missed the fireworks last night, we were watching TV in the basement. Oh well, neighbors will probably have some tonight across the street...easier to see from here. :smiley:
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Happy 4th of July!
    Roger and Vix-thanks for the recipe's. I have copied and saved them.
    The cookout was a success. I had way too much food. I managed to send all the desserts home with everyone.
    I have a lot of garden salad, veggie kabobs and corn left over, so I am set for veggies for the week. The hamburger, hot dogs and rolls will be frozen for future use. I sent all the soda and beer home with my nephew and gave 2 bottles of wine and a 10lb. bag of ice to my neighbors.
    Vix-I wasn't able to stay awake for the fireworks. Today I am tired and am doing nothing. I haven't entertained that many people since my kids were little. It is a lot of work. Good luck with the colonoscopy. I think the prep is worse than the procedure.
    Roger-You did well and I am glad the scale was kind to you.
    Enjoy!
  • eku0
    Jo, that is a lot of people to entertain. :) Good for you for giving away the goodies....less temptation is better. Hope you enjoy your day of rest. :)
    I think I am feeling somewhat better after taking yesterday and today doing very little other than reading and relaxing. Sometimes that's just what we need.
    Have a great night, everyone. :)
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    Rained most of the night, but looks like it's trying to clear up.
    Clay building for me today. And all liquids, starting prep for tomorrow.
    Enjoy the day, everyone. :)
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    The weather has been poor, It Rained In the Evening, then the rain stopped for most people and they saw the Fireworks and then the rain moved back in. It was 71 degrees when I got up and out the door and feels humid too. I got some walking in 4100 steps + 1 Cent.

I am finalizing my order and I see a New Menu Item in the Shelf Stable Snacks :)
    Stuffed Chocolate Pie
    hWQLgd.jpg
    Soft pastry crust outside, creamy chocolatey filing inside—it's a truly decadent handheld snack with no artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners. Warm it up in the oven for a gooey sweet treat!

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    eku0 wrote: »
    Hey Roger, thanks for the recipes. Would have to use gluten free beer too...that might mess up the recipe, but my children might like that one. :)
    It's all gray and overcast here today...rained for a little while. I did some light housecleaning and some laundry, now just hanging out.
    Gotta do prep for a colonoscopy tomorrow, the procedure is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. Kept trying to put it off, but now will be happy when it's over.
    Missed the fireworks last night, we were watching TV in the basement. Oh well, neighbors will probably have some tonight across the street...easier to see from here. :smiley:

Hi Vix
    The Prep has always seemed much worse than the Actual test, I have had two so far and am probably due for another, It is just that the Nasty drink You drink :(:(

We were happy we got out to see Fireworks from the Heritage trail Picnic on the Lawn on the Second considering the weather we had yesterday :)

Today is supposed to be the first day of a three day heat wave with the the following day only :) hitting 89 degrees.
    Jo, that is a lot of people to entertain. :) Good for you for giving away the goodies....less temptation is better. Hope you enjoy your day of rest. :)
    I think I am feeling somewhat better after taking yesterday and today doing very little other than reading and relaxing. Sometimes that's just what we need.
    Have a great night, everyone. :)
    Good morning.
    Rained most of the night, but looks like it's trying to clear up.
    Clay building for me today. And all liquids, starting prep for tomorrow.
    Enjoy the day, everyone. :)

Hi Again
    I do Not envy You the prep work, Hopefully it will go easy. I agree sometimes we need that day off. I think we are done with the rain from what I saw on the weather Radar before I went out the door, I did take the small folding Umbrella, just in case.

Have fun with the clay.

Good Luck with the Colonoscopy.
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Happy 4th of July!
    Roger and Vix-thanks for the recipe's. I have copied and saved them.
    The cookout was a success. I had way too much food. I managed to send all the desserts home with everyone.
    I have a lot of garden salad, veggie kabobs and corn left over, so I am set for veggies for the week. The hamburger, hot dogs and rolls will be frozen for future use. I sent all the soda and beer home with my nephew and gave 2 bottles of wine and a 10lb. bag of ice to my neighbors.
    Vix-I wasn't able to stay awake for the fireworks. Today I am tired and am doing nothing. I haven't entertained that many people since my kids were little. It is a lot of work. Good luck with the colonoscopy. I think the prep is worse than the procedure.
    Roger-You did well and I am glad the scale was kind to you.
    Enjoy!

Hi Joanne
    Good Idea getting rid of Temptation, In My case I can usually get by with freezing things like that and then the old "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" thing kicks in. Better to have to much, than too little BTW.

Have a Nice Restful day
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,163 Member
    good morning, how was everyone's holiday? I enjoyed spending time with my sisters . Came home yesterday. So for 3 days we have heard nothing but fire works up to after 12am because people have been setting them up until then they even were setting them up in the rain , poor Annie was so scared but it's over now so her and I can get some sleep. Thanks for letting me rant .I thought of getting the thunder shirt for her but we have so many friends that it didn';t work on there dogs so why waste the money. I eat so much bad food so now I really need to watch it. Tosay I go to my primary dr to sign off on my surgery so talk to you later
  • RogerToo
    Hi Irene
    I was wondering how well they work. Good Luck getting back into the swing of things. Did They give a date for the surgery yet?

Have a Nice Week
    Roger
  • eku0
    edited July 2016
    Good luck, Irene.
    They had a cancellation so I get to go early tomorrow morning....better to get it over with sooner. :)
    Roger, this time I'm mixing miralax with gator ade, and taking dulcolax. I'm hoping it's better than the prescription stuff. I gagged on that. yuck.
    Those stuffed chocolate pies look yummy!
  • IreneMurman
    Vix that is what I took instead of the prescription
  • Joanne3366
    Good afternoon;
    Vix-good luck tomorrow.
    Roger-Those pies look really good.
    Irene-It's nice that you got to spend time with your sisters. I always have a good time when I get together with mine.
    It was back to work for me today. The time went by fast because I had so much catching up to do after being off for a few days.We are slowly losing our workers, 2 are out on injury and one quit today. It is so hard to keep help these days.
    Have a good evening. :)
  • RogerToo
    edited July 2016
    Good luck, Irene.
    They had a cancellation so I get to go early tomorrow morning....better to get it over with sooner. :)
    Roger, this time I'm mixing miralax with gator ade, and taking dulcolax. I'm hoping it's better than the prescription stuff. I gagged on that. yuck.
    Those stuffed chocolate pies look yummy!

Hi Vix
    When I saw them They reminded me of the individual Pies I used to buy at the Quick Chek or 7-Eleven so I put several on the order. I hope they are good, OTOH I will be delaying the next order too. I still have extras from my A La Carte additions to previous orders. Toss in the eating cereal for some of my breakfasts, Lean Pockets the lower calorie version of Hot Pockets and the Lean Cuisine Dinners that work and I figure I'll be fine. FWIW some of the Lean Cuisine Entrees are 200 or lower calories so they can be used for a lunch too. Then Add in the A La Carte Additions I just did I figure I'll be good for three months between orders again.

I hope that works for You, That stuff they give You to take is as likely to make You upchuck as the intended purpose :)

Be careful with that stuff it can lead to Vitamin & Mineral deficiencies if used daily in the long run.

Have a Good Night
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Vix that is what I took instead of the prescription

Hi Irene
    How did that work for You? The Gunk they give You is one reason I am putting off having one done :)
    Enjoy the Night
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good afternoon;
    Vix-good luck tomorrow.
    Roger-Those pies look really good.
    Irene-It's nice that you got to spend time with your sisters. I always have a good time when I get together with mine.
    It was back to work for me today. The time went by fast because I had so much catching up to do after being off for a few days.We are slowly losing our workers, 2 are out on injury and one quit today. It is so hard to keep help these days.
    Have a good evening. :)

Hi Joanne
    The other nice thing I noticed with them is 130 Calories, 3.0g Total Fat, 4g Dietary Fiber and 5g Protein.

Not only is it hard to keep help, it is even harder to get good help from I hear from a Business owning relation. I have also heard that keeping and getting them is a problem from Ed on the Early Risers Message Thread. Or else they are not reliable as regards showing up and showing up on time.

I suspect that You may also be somewhat tired form all the catching up You had to do.

Have a Nice Evening
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    Warm weather has set in, I saw a low of 75 degrees overnight and the forecast is for 3 or 4 days of 90 and higher thus we will be having a heat wave.

I have a busy day today so I will be brief.

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    hi all, well another night I had to stay up with Annie someone was setting off fire crackers until real late so I slept in till 6am have not been good with my steps hopefully they are done.Well all my test are done so I am happy .Roger those pies do look good I may have to change my order. Jo it is sad that good help is hard to find. When I had my test I didn't find it so bad I just sat and sipped the stuff Vix you will have to tell us how it was.
  • eku0
    Hi all.
    Irene, glad your tests are done...it's a good feeling. :) Poor Annie! Maybe now you can both get some rest.
    Roger, supposed to be 89 here today. I'm still feeling a bit chilly (I was freezing last night, unusual for me), but haven't spent much time outside.
    Jo, sorry you're short-staffed again.
    I'm glad my procedure is over....I was sick as a dog last night and didn't sleep at all. I guess my digestive system is really sensitive. Anyway, thank goodness for pediatric scopes and good doctors. I am now minus one ugly little double decker polyp. The results of the biopsy will be a couple of weeks. Digestive system still a little queasy and tender, so doing nothing for the rest of the day except relaxing, reading, etc.
    Have a great day. :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    Too late for wise eating today, At a Family Function we had a choice of Baked Salmon, Chicken Marsala or Veal Franciase. I Choose the chicken as I am not a fan of seafood strangely enough perhaps, they served it with Ziti, a Oil and Vinegar dressed Salad, Broccoli, Rice, Carrots and Green Beans. Lucky me they ran out of the carrots and Beans :(

Cheers
    Roger
    hi all, well another night I had to stay up with Annie someone was setting off fire crackers until real late so I slept in till 6am have not been good with my steps hopefully they are done.Well all my test are done so I am happy .Roger those pies do look good I may have to change my order. Jo it is sad that good help is hard to find. When I had my test I didn't find it so bad I just sat and sipped the stuff Vix you will have to tell us how it was.

Hi Irene
    I am sorry to hear that some insensitive clod kept You up late that way. I hate Noises in the night. I was so happy this year that it was fairly quiet.

I am glad to hear that the testing is finished, I presume that means You are good to go now?

Today is my last day to change my order so I am going over it right now. I can do that and do this while the pages are loading from NS, Their site has never gotten anything near speed for me. My order is scheduled to process tonight and ship tomorrow, Tomorrow being the last day I could delay it within the 3 month window.

I have ordered several of those pies, I hope they do not turn out to be a waste of space and money like the snack a rounds, I had high hopes for those and could only tolerate one or two of the flavors.

Have a Good Evening
    Roger
    Hi all.
    Irene, glad your tests are done...it's a good feeling. :) Poor Annie! Maybe now you can both get some rest.
    Roger, supposed to be 89 here today. I'm still feeling a bit chilly (I was freezing last night, unusual for me), but haven't spent much time outside.
    Jo, sorry you're short-staffed again.
    I'm glad my procedure is over....I was sick as a dog last night and didn't sleep at all. I guess my digestive system is really sensitive. Anyway, thank goodness for pediatric scopes and good doctors. I am now minus one ugly little double decker polyp. The results of the biopsy will be a couple of weeks. Digestive system still a little queasy and tender, so doing nothing for the rest of the day except relaxing, reading, etc.
    Have a great day. :)

Hi Vix
    I will think good thoughts that the Biopsy results are OK.

That reminds me I had one of those removed many years ago, and I guess I should talk to my Doctor when I see him again later this month to go over the test results from the blood work and the overall results of the Physical I had earlier as well the X-Ray results. If they show nothing for a cause of the pain then I suspect further deeper testing is in order. Considering I dislike go to the doctor or a hospital or any type of that sort of thing including dentists I hope further testing is not needed.

I hope You feel Better after a Solid nights sleep
    Roger
  • Joanne3366
    Good evening;
    Vix-Rest and eating light for a few days and hopefully your digestive system will be back to normal. The prep always makes me sick and I usually get a headache. I suspect that is from lack of sleep. Keeping my fingers crossed that the biopsy is negative.
    Irene- Glad your testing is all done. When did you say your surgery was? Poor Annie and you, I hope you both get a good nights sleep tonight.
    Roger-It was in the 90's here today also, hot, sticky and humid....forecast is the same for the next few days. I am so glad for AC. Let us know how you like the chocolate pie. I liked the bbq and salt and vinegar snack arounds. I didn't order the ranch. I don't like ranch dressing, so I didn't think I would like them. I will be keeping good thoughts that you will not need further testing.
    I am reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I am a few chapters in and it seems like a really good book.
    Have a good night. :)
  • eku0
    Thanks.....I hope we all remain in fairly good health!
    Roger, I write lists and add things as I think of them to talk to my doctors about...otherwise I forget. If the results were negative and you're still having issues, you should talk with your doctor about it.
    Jo, I had a really bad headache last night too...the nurse said it was common with the prep. That's what I think too....eating lightly, and drinking warm drinks is soothing.Haha...it would be cool if I could maintain the 1.5 pound weight loss, but I doubt it!
    I read Water for Elephants a while back...it was a good book. :)
    Hi Irene!
    Have a good night, everyone. :)